Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Generally I've bought the PDX DLCs if I see a good sale and think I'll play it again soon, or if I'm going back to play it and haven't kept up on the DLC. Usually there's months (if not years) in between those times so it just feels like throwing $20 at a "new game" and doesn't bug me so much, especially given the hours I've put in.

All that said, if I wasn't more or less keeping up with the DLC as they came out, I can see how it would be an utter crapshoot to look at say, EU4 today and go "I have to spend WHAT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Grevlek posted:

*edit - classic Grevlek afterthought - I haven't played surviving mars in at least two calendar years. It's probably much improved, but I haven't had the chance to revisit it.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Last time I played it was with everything except this newest pack.
It didn't improve.

Yeah, I started a new game last year and got to Sol 70 before getting too bored to continue. I came back to it last week and I'm chewing through any problem with ease and I'm astonished they never improved research rates because the early game is such a slog while you're just waiting to finish a few techs. Now I'm just sitting here waiting for the mystery I rolled to progress (Last War) and researching wonders I'll never build. Terraforming is interesting, but requires massive investments to make it faster than 100 sols and you'll just be speeding it up to 50-80 sols before you're done.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Generally I've bought the PDX DLCs if I see a good sale and think I'll play it again soon, or if I'm going back to play it and haven't kept up on the DLC. Usually there's months (if not years) in between those times so it just feels like throwing $20 at a "new game" and doesn't bug me so much, especially given the hours I've put in.

All that said, if I wasn't more or less keeping up with the DLC as they came out, I can see how it would be an utter crapshoot to look at say, EU4 today and go "I have to spend WHAT"

I will never even look at the HoI list. It terrifies me. I watched a dude do a communist china run a long while ago, so it also seem like you just buy the starter pack and buy the faction you wanna play.

But I never dipped my toes into HoI, it's like the one paradox game where I can one button see the whole price of the whole thing.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

That's the way to play it IMO. Do a big playthrough with the main game only and see if you like it. All their games are perfectly fine without DLC. Then, when you want to play again, wait for a sale and buy 1 or 2 of the older DLC's on a sale, rinse and repeat.

Speaking of sales, Epic game store is having one where you can apply a €10 coupon to every game €14.99 and above. I'm looking at surviving the aftermath, the colonists and hammerting, which would all cost me less than €10, the only issue is that many games in this genre really benefit from a steam workshop.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grevlek posted:

I only post in 4 threads, and I see the same inguses in each of them.

Great story about Monaco from the f1 thread :)

:hellyeah:

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Has anybody played good company?

I just did little big workshop and it was ok, but did not satiate my lust for massive built projects with many moving parts in the way DSP and Factorio did.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Grevlek posted:

i was going to make an effort post about why i don't think the Train Sim mod is good, because even if some people only get one or two specific things, some people might feel compelled to spend thousands of dollars

and then i realize i've purchased every non-cosmetic paradox DLC across 6 different games for the last decade

Ha! What a sucker!

I've also purchased the cosmetic DLC

Edit:

Krataar posted:

Has anybody played good company?

I just did little big workshop and it was ok, but did not satiate my lust for massive built projects with many moving parts in the way DSP and Factorio did.

I have, and I think if you like Little Big Workshop you'll like Good Company. I wasn't a fan of either, but I wasn't a fan in the same way for both of them, so I expect if you liked one you'll like the other one as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Little Big Workshop and Good Company are similar games but Little Big Workshop is a MONIAC and Good Company is a grandfather clock.

If you lust for massive building projects I don't think either would do it. Good Company is almost a smaller experience because you are mostly working on a purpose made line or two that is perfectly ratioed and manually coupled while LBW lets you get real weird with mix and match construction lines for continually varying contracts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

That's the way to play it IMO. Do a big playthrough with the main game only and see if you like it. All their games are perfectly fine without DLC. Then, when you want to play again, wait for a sale and buy 1 or 2 of the older DLC's on a sale, rinse and repeat.

Speaking of sales, Epic game store is having one where you can apply a €10 coupon to every game €14.99 and above. I'm looking at surviving the aftermath, the colonists and hammerting, which would all cost me less than €10, the only issue is that many games in this genre really benefit from a steam workshop.

You could also buy Legend of Keepers with the coupon. It seems to be a hybrid management/roguelite game. Has anyone tried it?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Megazver posted:

You could also buy Legend of Keepers with the coupon. It seems to be a hybrid management/roguelite game. Has anyone tried it?

I bought it when it was first available and it was "fun, but not quite all there" at the time. Not in the least that runs took too long for my taste, several hours. It's probably better now because the devs clearly had an idea and were working hard to keep a high level of polish on everything they did.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It might not be a pure management sim, but has anything come out recently that comes close to to Recettear? I liked the hybrid shop ownership / dungeon crawling style.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DSP update next week, new saves will be required. Blueprints and new planets.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

It might not be a pure management sim, but has anything come out recently that comes close to to Recettear? I liked the hybrid shop ownership / dungeon crawling style.

Moonlighter was supposed to be in the same vein. I haven't played much of either, so I can't say how well they compare.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

:stoked: love this dev team

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Now that i skipped the terrible campaign, transport fever 2 is pretty fun in free play.

also seems really easy to make money, im at like 200 million just with some long rear end train lines and whatnot.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Grevlek posted:

I've loved Paradox games for almost 20 years, but they are really to show some cracks in fundamental game design. I like Stellaris, but I agree that it wasn't thought out much beyond "PGS, but in Space!", and they've been chasing fixing issues for four years now.

It was wild that Surviving Mars had come out, and sold at retail, before they realized "Oh, you aren't building self-sufficient domes, you probably would connect them to a network". I'm sure at least 1 beta tester brought that up. Because they didn't design the game to accommodate something we all wanted and expected (tubes to connect your domes so people/stuff can get moved around) they've been chasing their tails trying to fix that too.

You're not wrong, but issues in SM aren't related to any Paradox game design, it was made by a completely separate studio. Paradox Interactive just published SM and I think later bought the studio. Although I think SM has now been handed off to yet another Studio.

Stellaris is on its 3rd lead designer and almost everyone in the team has either left the team or even the studio since it launched, so it has its own set of reasons for going in different directions.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
More EVE Online chatter. I setup some divisions to properly balance the books. For the first time ever, the Bluth Company [BLUTH] is using GAAP ( Generaly Accepted Accounting Principles ). I've moved about 600M in ISK thru the local space economy, and and I estimate I've taken in about 7.5m in profits. While the profits sound low, I'm measuring that against buying my own personal space ships to fly and such. Now that I have all of my equipment I need for the foreseeable future, the only capital costs should be new blueprints for products to build.

I'm playing with a friend, and he's less interested in the Industry side of things, but I've spent a few days fixing up my spreadsheet, and making it easier to use. There's a single page that has a complete financial breakdown of what we are doing, and another tab to quickly estimate how much profit we'd make with product y in x quantities.

I really enjoy the local market I've grown in Inaro. Despite being 4 jumps from Jita, we see a reasonable amount of purchases for equipment modules, and a good supply of ammo moves every day. Ships are really slow, but I'm committed to stocking all of the basic frigates in this system, along with all t1 equipment and ammo for 'doctrine' fits of those frigates. This is keeping a lot of my resources locked up in a slow turnover market, however, and crimping my expansion into Jita competition proper.

The goal for this weekend is to clear all of our product in Jita, and to clearance the stuff in Inaro that hasn't moved at all. I debated adjusting prices down incrementally, trying to see where the natural movement price is, but I think maintaining the Inaro market outside of the doctrine ships path is a waste of time and money.

Right now I build whenever I have free slots and minerals, but we're going to move to a more set system, where we put things on the Jita market on Friday-Saturday, line up our input purchases so that runs can get installed Sunday afternoon, and then have our factories run from Sunday to Friday afternoon. I'm still working on our first orders, and I'm not sure we'll have everything set up so that I have things on the market next Friday.

My company has 1.28 billion in the 'Master Account', this is what my friend and I draw from for personal expenses, and where we will store 'profit'. There is an industry inputs account with a balance of 102m, this is where I make all mineral or ore buys. We have an additional 110m or so in local ore buy orders, and another 400m or so in minerals sitting in our factory to be used. I'm using a single account to expense everything to, it has a 100m balance as well, but we run all our industry jobs out of this account, as well as our facility rentals. So research costs, manufacturing costs, rental fees, whatever I can reasonably stuff in that account, that's what we'll run it through. The last account we have is our retail division, with a current balance of 286m. I setup our sales orders out of this account, so all business revenue should flow into this account. This account also absorbs the 'listing fees' and the 'sales taxes' so they don't need to be accounted for in our internal costs. I transfer from the retail division to the industry inputs to cover mineral costs, or to internal costs to pay for our upkeep. Anything extra after that gets pushed back into the master wallet as 'profit'.

Getting a degree in Economics has really helped my space industry simulation game.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

You're not wrong, but issues in SM aren't related to any Paradox game design, it was made by a completely separate studio. Paradox Interactive just published SM and I think later bought the studio. Although I think SM has now been handed off to yet another Studio.

Stellaris is on its 3rd lead designer and almost everyone in the team has either left the team or even the studio since it launched, so it has its own set of reasons for going in different directions.

For sure, I am aware that SM is not a PGS game, so I shouldn't have painted with a broad stroke. It would be unfair to blame anything wrong with Cities Skylines or Prison Architect on Paradox too. Both are good games, I just don't play them anymore. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not SM is a good game.

I'm very aware of the long history of Goons who work for Paradox, and I've always enjoyed all of my interactions with them on the forums. Wiz is an absolute legend, and it was always great when Johan would pop his head into a thread and lay down the truth.

I understand the challenges that Stellaris has had with it's team. From the moment it was announced, I thought it would be my perfect dream game, and even with all its warts and flaws, I enjoyed it at launch, I enjoyed it after they took away the drive/weapon options from starts, I enjoyed it at 2.0, and I'll probably like whatever industry changes have made it into the most recent version. I'm not sure what I would do to fix it, and it is a good game, but it's just missing that tiny bit of something that would knock it into the next level.

To be honest, with my EVE post just above, I kind of treat Stellaris like I'm managing an alliance in Eve online. If there was some sort of mod or mode for that, I'd never stop playing :D

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Megazver posted:

I've tried the final version, and it's neat! It's very much a team manager like Darkest Dungeons - you have a stable of monsters and traps, and every week you have to deploy those monsters and traps to face a group of adventurers. You have to make choices with how you're spending your gold (new monsters? training? reserve to keep random events from screwing you?) and how you're allocating monsters and traps (which ones are front line to get whomped? which stay home to rest? what crazy combos/synergies can you find?), and after about a dozen fights, you 'win' the area and have to move on to a new area with new monsters and new foes.

I actually like it a lot better than DD - unlike DD, it's generally upbeat and friendly rather than trying to depress you (though it's cynical as gently caress as well, presenting medieval fantasy misery and torture through corporate capitalist speak), and because after a dozen fights everything wipes, you don't have to super protect a small cadre of survivors that survived a hosed up RNG to keep pressing forward. That also means you can try different things out without having to worry about having to restart from scratch because you're just going to restart from scratch if you win anyways.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Megazver posted:

Its not good, for a "dungeon managment" game you don't feel like you are really in charge of a dungeon at all. Everything about it feels pretty flat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crossposting this from the Steam thread because this looks pretty sweet and up many of our alley's:

Sailor Dave posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/
https://i.imgur.com/EGi7Vyf.mp4
Interesting 3D Rimworld/Dwarf Fortess-esque game that just popped up on my radar. Probably more Dwarf Fortess than anything, since it has some really cool deep digging, building, and colonist mechanics. It releases June 1st, but there's an open beta until May 24th.

Open beta link is on the steam page for the game and you get access right away, gonna check this out after work tonight.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Crossposting this from the Steam thread because this looks pretty sweet and up many of our alley's:

Open beta link is on the steam page for the game and you get access right away, gonna check this out after work tonight.

Ooh, looks exciting!

PARADOX ANNOUNCED VICKY 3, THE MOST MANAGEMENT GAME THEY HAVE !!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grevlek posted:

:words:
Getting a degree in Economics has really helped my space industry simulation game.

Right fun having right here.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Grevlek posted:

But today isn't April 1st?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, knowing that I get overwhelmed during the Anno 1800 midgame, should I even look at Victoria II

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

zoux posted:

So, knowing that I get overwhelmed during the Anno 1800 midgame, should I even look at Victoria II

Yeah, in some respects there is 'less' going on in Vicky 2 than other Paradox games. Several systems kind of go on their own, you can choose what level you want to engage in them. It's the shortest time frame of their franchises, I've probably hit the end screen a dozen times compared to once or twice in EU4, which is a game I like more.

Don't start with the UK, and in many ways, you should never play as the UK. They are kind of like the endgame boss. Portugal is a fairly fun and easy country to start with. If you have any questions, I can give you an overview, the way I helped Strix figure out how to get started with Shadow Empires.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh i'll just watch several hours of youtube tutorials from Austrians if I decide to, thanks for the offer though.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

zoux posted:

Oh i'll just watch several hours of youtube tutorials from Austrians if I decide to, thanks for the offer though.

well if there was any group of people that hit the highest highs and the lowest lows during that historical period, it'd be the Austrians lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

This is alright! Definitely "Rimworld but in 3D" but it seems pretty playable in its current state for another one of those games. Getting heavy "Gnomoria" vibes with the layer stuff going on.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 21, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Grevlek posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/nhzt1w/victoria_3_everything_we_know_so_far/

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I can't remember, did this thread have any good thoughts about Factory Town? Just looking for something I can play at a relaxed speed, doesn't have to be the best game ever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As I remember it, Factory Town had zero failure or time pressure.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kanonvandekempen posted:

Paradox's games are not fine without the DLC. Usually they release "free" updates alongside their paid DLC. There's no way to opt out of these updates and they almost always introduce new management problems. The tools to address these management problems are locked behind the DLC. It's a thorny trap and it aggravates me every time I am reminded that I can no longer play the game I paid for several times over.

I was very big into Paradox games for several years and I'll never buy another of their games.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Sadly, no.

Neither of these recapture the magic of Recettear, but they're the closest I can offer. Moonlighter is much more combat focused but otherwise has most of the same elements. The Atelier games are all about shop owners who also do a lot of fighting, so they might scratch the same thematic itch. The mechanics are so different that they feel pretty different to me. Still worth a look if you haven't tried one yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Voodoofly posted:

I can't remember, did this thread have any good thoughts about Factory Town? Just looking for something I can play at a relaxed speed, doesn't have to be the best game ever.

Mayveena is busy typing up a comprehensive treatise on factory town so I'll just say it's a great low pressure factorio type game. I love it for that same 'intricate clockwork of moving belts and systems moving stuff around' feel that a busy base in Factorio gives. No time limits or enemies to fight off or anything like that.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Megazver posted:

I didn't like it but it's not bad. Uninteresting to me, mostly because there's pretty much zero management gameplay, but if you want a low-stress rpg roguelite with mediocre humor you'd probably like it.

Megazver posted:

Moonlighter was supposed to be in the same vein. I haven't played much of either, so I can't say how well they compare.

Moonlighter absolutely sucks and I have no idea how it has such a high user review score on steam :v: There's nothing enjoyable about it besides the art style.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Mayveena is busy typing up a comprehensive treatise on factory town so I'll just say it's a great low pressure factorio type game. I love it for that same 'intricate clockwork of moving belts and systems moving stuff around' feel that a busy base in Factorio gives. No time limits or enemies to fight off or anything like that.

lol I was gonna say Mayveena loves it and we'll wait for the screed. Lord knows I go on enough of those in here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I didn't like it but it's not bad. Uninteresting to me, mostly because there's pretty much zero management gameplay, but if you want a low-stress rpg roguelite with mediocre humor you'd probably like it.

Yeah, it's not a dungeon management game, it's more like if you took Darkest Dungeon and replaced the dungeon-exploring bits with a series of randomised resource-trading decisions. I've enjoyed the time I played it, although the theme of it did get me really wishing I was playing a dungeon management game. The combat is good fun, there's a fair bit of tactics to play around with. And the general arc of gameplay being to throw as much poo poo at the heroes as you can as well as you to minimise the damage they can do the player character once they reach her feels pretty unique, almost like a tower defence with actual tactics.

But if you're looking for a management game, you won't find much there.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Voodoofly posted:

I dumped a little over 40 hours into it a couple weeks back and really enjoyed it, although at this point it's not as polished as games like Factorio and DSP. I'd say that the biggest differences between it and other factory builders are
1. Workers/wheelbarrows essentially make drones the game's Tier 0 logistics technology (and chutes/belts/pipes are the more permanent high-throughput solution that you upgrade to)
2. It isn't spelled out, but by shift clicking buildings can process multiple recipes. This means that a single farm can grow all the ingredients required for a vegetable soup or a kitchen can make cheese and sandwiches (that use the cheese as an ingredient). It's brilliant because in addition to reducing the buildings required for a complete production chain it also makes the production chain self-balancing.
3. There's a lot of mechanics around different modes of transit (roads, belts, chutes, pipes, trains, boats...) and what resources can be transported via them. In particular pipes are incredibly powerful, especially once logistics filters get involved. Don't be like me and think fluid pipes are just for water/magma (in a rare nod to real logic over video game logic, magma is one of the few things pipes can't transport)--they can transport everything from milk and applejuice to elemental ethers.

In addition to time pressure, you don't have to worry about resources either. In addition to being abundant, they're also infinite with certain mid-level technologies. Crops/trees are not only plantable but very worth planting, as after enough harvests they become as productive as natural tiles and can lead to some very elegant multi-crop farm/forester setups.

Also don't worry about house placement, they can be freely moved with M and keep all upgrades, even when being moved between towns (very useful for getting specializations)

Very chill and lives up to the wooden toy aesthetic, with steady flow of paradigm shifts to keep the player interested

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Factory town mechanics are weird, in that (in anno style) you have to supply tier'd needs to your citizens, and in return they give you coins that you spend on buffing buildings (the infinite resource producing kind) and making roads and carts and stuff. But you gain way more coins than you will ever use, and so it's a weird system where you don't REALLY need to supply every house all the time, especially in the beginning where you need those materials to build buildings and expand your town instead. So you just leave houses starving unless you actually need the coins they spit out. But all the automation is supposed to be set-it-and-forget-it supply so you end up manually shifting around citizens (that you never have enough of)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

LLSix posted:

Paradox's games are not fine without the DLC. Usually they release "free" updates alongside their paid DLC. There's no way to opt out of these updates and they almost always introduce new management problems. The tools to address these management problems are locked behind the DLC. It's a thorny trap and it aggravates me every time I am reminded that I can no longer play the game I paid for several times over.

This is completely incorrect, for many years now you've been able to roll back to previous versions via the Steam beta tab if you don't like an update.