Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
loving Edge and his loving Kevin Nash like hair longevity

No I'm not jealous, not jealous at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

i mean, woof. but honestly this is still so much higher than they deserve. While the in-ring work is pretty good, the shows are just so loving bad. Not even late-wcw trainwreck spectacle bad either, just tedious and aggravating

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
That's a pretty poor viewership number now that they've run out of MNF/college championship excuses

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's a little crazy to go back to old bryan and vinny shows and hear them talking about "contemporary" raw as doing 3 million viewers plus and they're talking about it as being disappointing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those ratings are over 9000!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I am positive the highest rated segments are the Alexa ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also don't forget they somehow loving missed AJ Styles' debut to show a shot of Roman Reigns looking confused instead :lol:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lots of weird camera choices in Lesnar's 2012 return. Cena looking like he's waiting for a bus when Brock's music hits; the cameras almost missing Lesnar picking Cena up because they cut to the crowd for no reason. Just weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzBf-jo84o

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

Also don't forget they somehow loving missed AJ Styles' debut to show a shot of Roman Reigns looking confused instead :lol:

They filmed the part they thought was most important

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
On this day, I see clearly

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Seams posted:

Lots of weird camera choices in Lesnar's 2012 return. Cena looking like he's waiting for a bus when Brock's music hits; the cameras almost missing Lesnar picking Cena up because they cut to the crowd for no reason. Just weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzBf-jo84o

Awful camerawork aside, the awkwardness at the start has gotta be due to some backstage fuckup, like Brock wasn't ready to come out yet or something. Also his pyro didn't fire...? Just a great job all around

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They filmed the part they thought was most important

But they didn't film John Cena telling AJ Styles "good luck rookie" backstage :confused:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Answers Me posted:

Awful camerawork aside, the awkwardness at the start has gotta be due to some backstage fuckup, like Brock wasn't ready to come out yet or something. Also his pyro didn't fire...? Just a great job all around

That reminds me that the night after Mania 30 Brock's pyro went off like five second delayed and scared the poo poo out of everyone in my section. It was hilarious.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

reignofevil posted:

It's a little crazy to go back to old bryan and vinny shows and hear them talking about "contemporary" raw as doing 3 million viewers plus and they're talking about it as being disappointing.

Old B&V shows also make it blatantly obvious that in wrestling, time is a flat circle. I'm currently listening to their old Impact reviews again, and it's eerie how they say that TNA in 2010 is doing all the same mistakes that WCW made in 2000, and you realise that WWE in 2020/2021 in turn is making the exact same mistakes again. Stuff like always bringing in old guys to pop a rating and have them go over the young talents; moving a show to different time slot that a competitor is already in and hot-shotting a bunch of poo poo; parity booking; having storylines go even though the face had already won the feud; people named Vince having too much creative power; etc.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Germansimp posted:

Old B&V shows also make it blatantly obvious that in wrestling, time is a flat circle. I'm currently listening to their old Impact reviews again, and it's eerie how they say that TNA in 2010 is doing all the same mistakes that WCW made in 2000, and you realise that WWE in 2020/2021 in turn is making the exact same mistakes again. Stuff like always bringing in old guys to pop a rating and have them go over the young talents; moving a show to different time slot that a competitor is already in and hot-shotting a bunch of poo poo; parity booking; having storylines go even though the face had already won the feud; people named Vince having too much creative power; etc.

Fun thing to think about : Jeff Jarrett, Abyss and Bruce Prichard now all have roles in WWE!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Answers Me posted:

I think this is just an example of how WWE needlessly delays things to try and build anticipation. The longer the crowd has to wait, the louder the pop will be - but the pop is going to be huge when the music hits anyway and it doesn't actually add any drama. Especially when you know exactly what's coming.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crapple! posted:

In honour of the Rumble, here's Edge's entrance from last year being absolutely butchered by WWE's dogshit camera work. The part where you catch a brief glimpse of him running behind a barricade and then when they hold the camera on him and instantly cut away when his pyro goes off still cracks me up to this day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/l5782z/on_this_day_last_year_edge_made_his_return_9/

I love how the footage they always show now is from a single camera that they don't cut away from.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fun thing to think about : Jeff Jarrett, Abyss and Bruce Prichard now all have roles in WWE!

TNA is just fascinating in retrospect, yes I know it still exists but after a decade it does seem Impact and TNA are distinct entities.

It was the #2 promotion in North America for a decade without question and the highest of highs it ever reached was "absolute joke". Even during its peak, which would be the mid 2000s, no one would say it was worth watching over ROH during that same period.

Like it lives in memes, but those memes are like maybe three or four incidents over an entire decade and the rest is about how loving awful it all was and everyone who worked there viewing it as an old shame. I'm not that in the know in Lucha but I think CMLL and AAA had a rivalry like this for a long time where CMLL was prestige and AAA was a joke but even that's flipped around a few times and people who have worked for either don't try to act like it never happened.

There will never be a time when nostalgic fans reminisce for TNA, there won't be any over the hill people doing TNA throwback shows like ECW, it blazed no trails, influenced no one, and lasted forever despite its death being so loving long overdue that The Death of TNA was a running joke TWELVE YEARS AGO.

And yet WWE is hiring these men whose accomplishments were nothing. Hire Scott D'Amore as well please.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lid posted:

It was the #2 promotion in North America for a decade without question and the highest of highs it ever reached was "absolute joke". Even during its peak, which would be the mid 2000s, no one would say it was worth watching over ROH during that same period.

I know it's not much for a company that has existed as long as TNA has, but I would say late 2007/early 2008 TNA was more enjoyable to watch than ROH. TNA was really pushing their Knockouts as actual, serious wrestlers with the introduction of the Knockouts Title and the great Gail Kim - Awesome Kong feud, the Beautiful people were coming into their own, the X-Division was still more than just an afterthought, and in the main event scene you'd pretty much always get a good main event out of either combination of Angle, Joe, AJ, Christian and no Jarrett. Whereas on the ROH side this was when Gabe had gone completely insane with stables. Yes, the AOTF was a great stable and angle. No Remorse Corps? Good bunch of dickish heels. Hangman 3? Yeah, they are okay, but already getting quite a bit weaker. Vulture Squad? Okay, guess you need a stable of random flippy dudes as well, I guess. The Resilience? LOL. Yes, you had the start of Nigel's title reign when it was still enjoyable before he turned in McLariat, but the title often felt like less important than the whole stable BS.

Again, it's only a short period of time, but it's not like TNA never was better to watch than ROH.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

TNA is just fascinating in retrospect, yes I know it still exists but after a decade it does seem Impact and TNA are distinct entities.

I mean, during TNA's peak Ring of Honor was also at its in-ring peak, & ROH's peak was much higher, yeah. But that's not really a knock on TNA in isolation because ROH at that point was maybe the 2nd best promotion in the world between 2004 & 2006 (NOAH is who I'd say were number 1 but if you want to make a case for Dragon Gate or a lucha company then cool, this is why I said ROH was maybe 2nd best). 05 through 07 TNA is still pretty watchable TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Germansimp posted:

I know it's not much for a company that has existed as long as TNA has, but I would say late 2007/early 2008 TNA was more enjoyable to watch than ROH. TNA was really pushing their Knockouts as actual, serious wrestlers with the introduction of the Knockouts Title and the great Gail Kim - Awesome Kong feud, the Beautiful people were coming into their own, the X-Division was still more than just an afterthought, and in the main event scene you'd pretty much always get a good main event out of either combination of Angle, Joe, AJ, Christian and no Jarrett. Whereas on the ROH side this was when Gabe had gone completely insane with stables. Yes, the AOTF was a great stable and angle. No Remorse Corps? Good bunch of dickish heels. Hangman 3? Yeah, they are okay, but already getting quite a bit weaker. Vulture Squad? Okay, guess you need a stable of random flippy dudes as well, I guess. The Resilience? LOL. Yes, you had the start of Nigel's title reign when it was still enjoyable before he turned in McLariat, but the title often felt like less important than the whole stable BS.

Again, it's only a short period of time, but it's not like TNA never was better to watch than ROH.

Late 2007 early 2008 was maybe Russo at his most deranged and misogynistic. You had so much bad poo poo in there. This is the time of Black Reign and the barbed wire Christmas tree and all sorts of just awful stuff. Yeah you had Gail Kim and Awesome Kong but it was one feud. The Beautiful People were really bad wrestlers and played into the worst of Russo's instincts too.

Late 2007 ROH is the end of Morishima's run and the start of Nigel's run and the gang wars have cooled off with the Resilience disbanding. The title was way more important than the stable stuff during this period and Nigel doing Lariats all the time is what made him the best in the world for a period.

Late 2009 TNA in the lame duck period before Hogan? Sure. Probably better than ROH. Summer of 2005 TNA during the Summer of Punk, you can argue it if you value in ring over ROH's storytelling at that time. Late 2007 TNA? Some of the worst poo poo ever on TV.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah, late 2007 had AJ/Angle/Karen "WEDDINGS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!" story, "your fired!" and the barbed wire Christmas tree all in very short succession

EDIT: how could I forget that awful Roode/Booker angle which led to the Robert Roode weather warning?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There is literally no point in history where TNA was better than ROH. Not a one. TNA was always terrible, could never draw and always lost money but sat in the No 2 slot by virtue of being able to waste more money than most other companies. There were brief spates where it could be argued that TNA was on the way to being good but TNA always made sure to swerve itself back into being dogshit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gonzo McFee posted:

There is literally no point in history where TNA was better than ROH. Not a one. TNA was always terrible, could never draw and always lost money but sat in the No 2 slot by virtue of being able to waste more money than most other companies. There were brief spates where it could be argued that TNA was on the way to being good but TNA always made sure to swerve itself back into being dogshit.

TNA was literally a dumping ground for WWE.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TNA bollocks were much more entertaining than current WWE bollocks

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TNA was way better than the Strong/Richards/Edwards era of ROH.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Watching that Brock video just reminded me, does anyone have a link to the arches thread? That was always good for a laugh and I thought I had it bookmarked but doesn’t seem to be the case.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

TNA was way better than the Strong/Richards/Edwards era of ROH.

Counterpoint: those matches were hilarious and ran alongside the first great Generico vs Steen feud.

Somebody post the superplex to suplex outside gif.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Strong vs Edwards was one of the best matches of the year.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Germansimp posted:

For me it's the inability to have people move the gently caress on after a feud. Nobody needs to see Apollo Crews take on Hurt Business for 13 weeks straight. Or AJ Styles face Nakamura for 4 straight PPVs in a row. It's just lazy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince is going to put his Peacock money into Gamestop for a week and then buy AEW.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Astro7x posted:

For me it's the inability to have people move the gently caress on after a feud. Nobody needs to see Apollo Crews take on Hurt Business for 13 weeks straight. Or AJ Styles face Nakamura for 4 straight PPVs in a row. It's just lazy

They don't have any planning ahead and are just writing on the fly, so when they're out of ideas, you get AJ and Nakamura punching each other in the dick for half a year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

"your fired!"

Still one of my most cherished memories :shobon:

"MY fired!?! :aaa:"

A talking coyote posted:

Watching that Brock video just reminded me, does anyone have a link to the arches thread? That was always good for a laugh and I thought I had it bookmarked but doesn’t seem to be the case.

Here you go! :)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Still one of my most cherished memories :shobon:

"MY fired!?! :aaa:"

Here you go! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No loving way.... no loving way :xd:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:lmao:

Rubber Soul
Dec 5, 2006

Oh no?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNCfDMRC228

Haven't watched the 95 Rumble in a long time, Vince and Jerry not even bothering to name jobbers as they enter is just wild to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rubber Soul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNCfDMRC228

Haven't watched the 95 Rumble in a long time, Vince and Jerry not even bothering to name jobbers as they enter is just wild to me.

I hated that Rumble; they never announced beforehand that they were changing the intervals from 2 minutes to 1.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Davros1 posted:

I hated that Rumble; they never announced beforehand that they were changing the intervals from 2 minutes to 1.
They absolutely did. It was hyped that way from the start, as "the fastest-paced Rumble ever."

The year before was the first time they switched to 90 seconds without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NXT Results 1/27:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • MSK defeated Drake Maverick and Killian Dain in the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. Nash Carter pinned Drake Maverick.
  • Curt Stallion did an interview with McKenzie Mitchell.
  • Raquel Gonzalez and Dakota Kai defeated Jessi Kamea and Aliyah in the Women's Dusty Classic. Gonzalez pinned Kamea.
  • Tyler Ruster defeated a jobber. Manager Malcolm Bivens took a selfie post-match.
  • The Grizzled Young Veterans defeated Leon Ruff & KUSHIDA in the Dusty Classic. James Drake pinned Leon Ruff. Johnny Gargano and Austin Theory attacked KUSHIDA and Ruff post-match and Theory got scared by Dexter Lumis.
  • Curt Stallion was found attacked backstage, and told William Regal it was El Legado del Fantasma who did it. So the Cruiserweight Title match that was supposed to happen will now be next week, and Regal warned "consequences" if the rest of El Legado del Fantasma interfered.
  • Toni Storm talked poo poo about NXT Women's Champion Io Shirai. Shirai came out and they brawled, but Mercedes Martinez joined in to overwhelm her.
  • The Undisputed Era did an interview about their match next week with Tommaso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher.
  • Bronson Reed defeated Isaiah "Swerve" Scott in a singles match.
  • Tommaso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher did an interview about The Undisputed Era.
  • Finn Balor and Kyle O'Reilly defeated NXT Tag Champions Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch in a non-title match, with O'Reilly submitting Burch.
  • Pette Dunne worked with Lorcan and Burch to attack Finn Balor's fingers but were chased off by The Undisputed Era.
  • Finn Balor walked off by himself rather than stick with The Undisputed Era.
  • No posts were made regarding NXT during the show airing.