Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i have another question about 3k. is there a way to watcha replay of a battle right after? when i claim victory i get a screen for rematch, finish save replay and load replay ut load is always grayed out, even if i saved the replay. some times i just want to watch a cool battle.

edit; also is this mod giving unique models and portraits for a bunch of the generic looking generals? or is it changing a lot? it looks like it add a new guy but if thats the only big change other than graphics ill get it

Kly fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kly posted:

i have another question about 3k. is there a way to watcha replay of a battle right after? when i claim victory i get a screen for rematch, finish save replay and load replay ut load is always grayed out, even if i saved the replay. some times i just want to watch a cool battle.

edit; also is this mod giving unique models and portraits for a bunch of the generic looking generals? or is it changing a lot? it looks like it add a new guy but if thats the only big change other than graphics ill get it

Which mod?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oops, this mod.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1812159400

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
Blog post taking a look at the coming expanded map for Pharoah - https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-pharaoh/blogs/20

Doesn't go into the 4 new civilizations much but touches on their mechanics in passing. They are almost doubling the size of the map and adding sea lanes.

I feel like the expanded map should have been in from release but whatever.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds cool. Might finally try that now. Kinda wish naval battles were still a thing lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Strix's opinion corner:

I've been going through hyperfocus and trying to get better at Total War games and also experience them (as I have a bunch in my library) and I think I reluctantly have to conclude that I'm not willing to put in the time to learn the strategy layer of the Rome/Medieval 2/Empire/Napoleon ones. Their engine is just old enough and the 4X is just complicated enough that it's putting a lot of friction between me and playing it, which is a huge bummer because there are cool games in there.

God I feel old, but the way Shogun 2-Rome 2-Attila-etc just give me "your settlement has this stuff, your income is this, research tree is here, your enemies are here" and sets me free just feels so liberating, like I'm not at war with the game to get to the, well, war.

And it's a bummer too because the tutorials are good, the advisors are good, the tooltips are great, it's just... feh. Anyways.

I've also observed that technically Empire did get a sequel in the form of the Warhammers, as those are the games with the global scope, guns, and the feel of "we put the kitchen sink in just in case there wasn't enough stuff"... though I also admit I wish there was an Empire 2 just because I like using these games to make me go read more history. They're perfect springboards for "wait, who the gently caress are the Hittites, brb getting another book"

Anyways my current gaming plan while the hyperfocus is here is to bounce between Rome 2, Pharaoh and Warhammer 3 (Cathay) until I become skilled enough at the combat to shift the difficulty higher. I'm absolutely loving the weird almost turn-based feel to the battles, where everything moves slowly enough that it's not RTS twitch micro, but a deeper "hmm, their spears are here and might intercept my cavalry, but what if I go here..." and it's really satisfying, especially when I pull off a battle that does better than the auto-resolve predicted. Good stuff!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

empire/napoleon is slightly complicated by the random tiny buildings that aren’t covered by the cities, but rome/medieval are deceptively simple, just build income in cities and military stuff in fortresses pretty much, rome/medieval don’t even have tech trees. don’t overbuild armies in rich provinces or they’ll get depopulated. anything that’s more in depth than that is unnecessary 99% of the time, whereas the later games with their limited slots actually do call for some optimisation

agents are annoying as sin though. hate them. merchants especially suck in med 2

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

agents are annoying as sin though. hate them. merchants especially suck in med 2
Future games better handle agents like 3K or I riot.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I start off with a rake and missionary in Empire as Great Britain and never even look at them. Only agents I use are gentlemen to move them into schools/cottages, but gently caress me is it annoying if I get one spawning in the starting Canadian province you have when all of my schools are back in Europe

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

empire/napoleon is slightly complicated by the random tiny buildings that aren’t covered by the cities, but rome/medieval are deceptively simple, just build income in cities and military stuff in fortresses pretty much, rome/medieval don’t even have tech trees. don’t overbuild armies in rich provinces or they’ll get depopulated. anything that’s more in depth than that is unnecessary 99% of the time, whereas the later games with their limited slots actually do call for some optimisation

Then I have a request: do you know of any good beginner's guides to the early TWs? LPs especially, something that walks me through a campaign and explains everything.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then I have a request: do you know of any good beginner's guides to the early TWs? LPs especially, something that walks me through a campaign and explains everything.

explains LITERALLY everything? Many a True Nerd’s the best! he knows the games so intimately to the most niche of mechanics and brings it all to life in a way that only a super fan can, and he’s done one for Rome, Medieval and Empire iirc

also just to be sure, keep in mind that right clicking buildings to see what they actually do in detail is the norm for the older games, it’s also quick and responsive as compared to the later titles that link to a webpage

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

explains LITERALLY everything? Many a True Nerd’s the best! he knows the games so intimately to the most niche of mechanics and brings it all to life in a way that only a super fan can, and he’s done one for Rome, Medieval and Empire iirc

also just to be sure, keep in mind that right clicking buildings to see what they actually do in detail is the norm for the older games, it’s also quick and responsive as compared to the later titles that link to a webpage

I think he's left TW behind for now but it you go back in his playlist he has everything covered. :thumbsup:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Warhammer 3 switched back to an internal encyclopedia iirc, I hope they continue this going forward

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Something to keep in mind as well is that the combat calculations are VERY different across even the modern Total War titles. Like Rome and Attila have HP model set at a very, very low number, so everything feels much more lethal, while in Warhammer HP is used as a balancing tool, especially when you take Unit Size into account and how that messes with character and monster balance.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Warhammer 3 switched back to an internal encyclopedia iirc, I hope they continue this going forward

Pharaoh does as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep playing Medieval 2 because I find it much simpler than the modern ones. :shrug:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

it is much less strictly ordered, which can make it harder to understand if you're coming from the much more clear and concise model of the newer games, especially the warhammers.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I keep playing Medieval 2 because I find it much simpler than the modern ones. :shrug:

I go as far as Med 2 & Rome 1... what later ones i have don't get installed. :shrug:

A old farts prerogative. :corsair:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

yall gotta try three kingdoms it rocks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yeah three kingdoms owns for fans of the historicals, i hear pharaoh's okay, and rome 2 slaps with DEI

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

it is much less strictly ordered, which can make it harder to understand if you're coming from the much more clear and concise model of the newer games, especially the warhammers.

Yes, the warhammers and Pharaoh are extremely good at saying "fight THIS guy first" -> "conquer THIS place next" and then opening up, and call me dumb but I want that kind of handholding for a game this complex. By contrast I opened up Empire this morning, picked Spain at random, and proceeded to go "...wait. what?" as I realized a) how big the map was, b) no convenient spanish rebel faction to beat up, and c) judging the strength of my allies was tough. And like, I know I'm doing it wrong by just slamming myself into the game, but Rome 2 and Pharaoh have been better at "you're X, go here and do this" in their campaigns.

honestly I shouldn't be playing these while having nasty sinus headaches and being impatient/unwilling to read, but I genuinely appreciate how the newer Total Wars have enabled "I am tired and dumb let me in to smash armies" pretty easily, while maintaining complexity and depth.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, the warhammers and Pharaoh are extremely good at saying "fight THIS guy first" -> "conquer THIS place next" and then opening up, and call me dumb but I want that kind of handholding for a game this complex. By contrast I opened up Empire this morning, picked Spain at random, and proceeded to go "...wait. what?" as I realized a) how big the map was, b) no convenient spanish rebel faction to beat up, and c) judging the strength of my allies was tough. And like, I know I'm doing it wrong by just slamming myself into the game, but Rome 2 and Pharaoh have been better at "you're X, go here and do this" in their campaigns.

honestly I shouldn't be playing these while having nasty sinus headaches and being impatient/unwilling to read, but I genuinely appreciate how the newer Total Wars have enabled "I am tired and dumb let me in to smash armies" pretty easily, while maintaining complexity and depth.

ah, you'll really like the Napoleon campaigns! they're much smaller in scale and are more linear with clear objectives! great way to learn the game, and that one's grand campaign is just europe too

empire is especially deeply overwhelming on the scale of the map, i'd recommend for your first time picking a country with no colonies and just do the european thunderdome with like prussia

for Rome and Medieval you do usually have a bunch of rebels you can snipe, but, it can be annoying not knowing where places are - highly recommend looking up a console command to kill the fog of war just to familiarise yourself with the starting conditions. i usually play england in med 2, where you have the simple first goal of securing the British Isles. Rome meanwhile, I'd go north until I hit the mountains then head east to mess with the Greeks.

another thing is that the games are usually good at giving you randomly generated missions that give you a direction to go, but it won't tell you about them before they're issued and they'll have relatively tight timers, i like that approach a lot more personally but that's because its what i started with and got used to and i love the arc of "okay, i am a faithful servant of the Senate/The Pope/The Council, i will do what i'm told" then becoming "gently caress you i rule the world now"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've put in far too many hours into Empire, so these are the basic rules I use whenever I start a game as Great Britain:

- have at least one military governor's building in one regional capital per theatre, purely to spam out extra troops
- don't bother with fishing ports when a coastal village emerges, build one naval dockyard per theatre if you want to build a fleet of ships of the line, else trading ports. If you have a region with villages yet to emerge but no farms, feel free to build a fishing port to stimulate growth then demolish it when all of the villages have emerged and replace it with a trading port
- for in-land villages, build at least three schools to allow you to get down the tech tree quicker else build craft workshops. If clamour for reform starts to get too high, demolish a workshop and build a church school. I have never built a single inn in any of my games, hell I've never even used my starting rake
- you will need to build certain buildings to unlock certain technologies, research certain technologies to unlock buildings, and research technologies in one of the other branches - i.e. you need to research Division of Labour in the Philosophy tree to open up commercial basins, but you will need to further down that tree to research Wealth of Nations to eventually open up Steam Engines
- you can upgrade your roads to give a slight bump to income and campaign map movement speed
- farms, plantations, mines and trapper lodges don't emerge like villages do, they are (I believe) already spawned on the map

- for your government, three star ministers provide no bonuses, two or less negative modifiers, four or more positive modifiers. I aim for having high star ministers in this order of priority: Prime Minister (higher stars = better chance of diplomatic success), Chancellor (more tax income), Lord Of The Admiralty (less upkeep for navy), Chief Justice (increased repression), Secretary Of The Army (reduced army upkeep), theatre governors
- you can trade with nations that hate you, up until you declare war on you
- your government changes every ten turns, but your current government could win the election. You can also boot one of your ministers each turn to hopefully replace them with a better one

- there are four trading theatres - coast of Brazil, Ivory Coast, Madagascar & the East Indies. Each trade theatre has five hubs which can be captured by any ship *but* only a trading vessel like an Indiaman can generate revenue from the hub. For the first eight turns, I cue up an indiaman and two sloops or brigs (whichever's cheaper) each turn in one of my trading ports in Britain, and when one stack finishes I send it out and cue up a second stack. I send the first two fleets all the way to the entrance of the East Indies hub, the next four to the entrance to the Ivory Coast and the final two to the coast of Brazil. I don't move them in until...
- wipe out the pirate faction in the caribbean area of the american theatre. They have roaming naval death stacks in the trade hubs that will wreck your trading vessels. Train up a dozen regular line infantry, take the first of their regions, leave four units as a garrison and send your remaining line infantry to take the second and final region. When you have one turn left to break the siege, send all of your trade fleets into their respective trading hubs. You can move two of your fleets by the Ivory Coast in when you siege the final pirate capital, as you can simply move it to Madagascar in the final turn
- when the pirates are dead, split your trading fleets until you capture as many hubs with a single ship as you can, then start spamming on fleet per turn. When the fleets are built, move them to whichever hub and move the sloop back to its original fleet until you have a trading vessel + two sloops/brigs on every hub available
- the pirates can re-emerge if a major nation is destroyed and they hold a region which is traditionally a pirate nation. Usually this will be Curacao, so be wary of this

- over in India, there is a faction called the Maratha Confederacy. If you leave them completely alone, they will steamroll over the Mughal Empire and then move into mainland Europe or apparently the American theatre. This is very bad. The best way to stop them is top give as much cash as you have spare after building everything to the Mughals. You can try giving the Mughals military techs, but the AI is a bit dumb and just spams troops so giving them an extra unit or two's worth of cash can delay the Maratha becoming a problem
- when you conquer a region, exempt it from tax for a few turns until the people are unhappy you've conquered them. Each turn simply turn tax on and if people are simply grumbling rather than ready to revolt, leave tax on

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are there any recommended bugfix/balancing overhauls for Empire? I've put a fair amount of time into Nappy but havent touched its forebear since release.

And strix yeah u gotta get in on that 3k bro