Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I really like Circle. They were the faction that got me back into the game (and the hobby, really) in the Mark 2 field test after Mark 1 didn't really work out for me, and I played basically only them until Domination came out and I decided to give some other factions a try. I only started seriously playing Trolls last year - I was on a mix of Legion, Circle, Cygnar, and Skorne from late 2011 until about summer 2013, and ended up picking up CoC and a bit of Ret at some point in there too. I'll admit to having crazy faction ADD, but Circle is still probably my favorite, just because well-executed movement shenanigans are so incredibly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

jodai posted:

I've noticed that no one is ever a die hard Circle fan. It's just something you wander into and kinda stay there.

My friend who I gave the other half of my 2player box to in a bid to pull him away from warhammer is super into Circle. He loves the whole werewolves thing though, and had spent a bunch of time on Rackham ones even though we never actually played the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

stabbington posted:

I really like Circle. They were the faction that got me back into the game (and the hobby, really) in the Mark 2 field test after Mark 1 didn't really work out for me, and I played basically only them until Domination came out and I decided to give some other factions a try. I only started seriously playing Trolls last year - I was on a mix of Legion, Circle, Cygnar, and Skorne from late 2011 until about summer 2013, and ended up picking up CoC and a bit of Ret at some point in there too. I'll admit to having crazy faction ADD, but Circle is still probably my favorite, just because well-executed movement shenanigans are so incredibly satisfying.

My problem with circle is that while those movement shenanigans are super satisfying, they're basically a huge blind spot in my brain and I just can't ever do it well unless it's a total accident.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Troll bros lend me your ears I have some questions.

So, I played my first actual game of Hordes today. I have never played a Hordes army before (played khador before) and I was playing against a coworker who has also never played the game before (he was playing Cygnar)

We played a small 15 point game (non battlebox) and the lists looked like this:

Cygnar
Kara Sloan
-Defender
-Sentinel

ATGM
ATGM UA

Trollbloods:
Madrak Ironhide
-Impaler
-Axer

Warders (full)
Fennblade Kithkar

I ended up losing after some looong turns.
I think basically what hosed me was I had no idea where to place Madrak. I kind of hid him behind my Warders for most of the start of the game. This slowed him down a lot and made pretty much everything about him useless (couldn't help my beasts with carnage because I charged out of control) and the Warders were just so goddamn slow I couldn't get them into contact with the warjacks fast enough. There was a crucial activation where I charged my Axer at his ATGMs for a charging thresher attack and he completely whiffed against those DEF 15s, he really needed Carnage.

But I just couldn't figure out where to put Madrak where he wouldn't get shot to poo poo. How comfortable am I supposed to be in jamming him near the frontlines to make full use of Carnage?

Granted, my list was not great since it's missing some key pieces (Fell Caller, Krielstone etc) but I was just curious anyway.

For our next game I'll probably just bring Fennblades instead since they are so much faster.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fennblades will help. They can mini-feat and charge to engage/kill the ranged threats. Also, was there no decent cover like a linear obstacle to get behind up the field? New players tend to not have enough terrain on the tables.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
gently caress it. TROLLS! :black101: (Or legion :negative: )

Should I get a fellcaller for fleshing out a 15 point list based on the alternative battlebox?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 17, 2014

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I think I'm going to get back into Warmachine myself lately. Goddamn Kickstarter.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a 25pt list for Cygnar based on what I already have on hand:

Siege: "The Big Guns"
Siege: +5
Defender: 9
Defender: 9*
Grenadier: 5*
Trencher Chain Gun: 2
Trenchers (5+1): 6-1=5 (Tier 1)

Then from there, some Trencher Commandos, a Trencher CAnnon or two and a Journeyman Warcaster. I don't see a lot of information out there for this tier list; anyone have any experience?
* = still need to purchase

I want to do an Ashlynn or Magnus the Traitor list, but I should get used to the game again before going that direction.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rydiafan posted:

Fennblades will help. They can mini-feat and charge to engage/kill the ranged threats. Also, was there no decent cover like a linear obstacle to get behind up the field? New players tend to not have enough terrain on the tables.

We wanted to keep it simple since we both didn't really know the rules all that well so it was basically a gunline army in killbox vs my dudes. We didn't really measure out the killbox either it was just 10" deployment from either sides of the meeting room table (we were playing at work at the end of the day) so there was a decent amount of legwork for me to get up the field

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

jodai posted:

I've noticed that no one is ever a die hard Circle fan. It's just something you wander into and kinda stay there.

I loving love my warpwolves that bounce around the board like jumping beans. I just wouldn't recommend them to someone just getting into the game - our fury management is worst in Hordes (Trolls aren't great either, but Trolls are also less warbeast-reliant than Circle), and we don't win fair fights. It's a really rewarding faction to learn though.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Should I get a fellcaller for fleshing out a 15 point list based on the alternative battlebox?

I'd get a Runebearer instead. Fellcaller is really only good for buffing units/infantry.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

DJ Dizzy posted:

But but but. loving dragons man vs a bunch of emos with weaponized elephants

Heh, sad you didn't side with weaponized elephants but I made my best pitch. Next time I will have to let Attackbacon make the pitch.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
The war-totem guys of theirs look pretty cool. I had to try and decide between Skorne and Circle, and it was a tough choice, both to aesthetics and how I think the game works (which I vaguely do).

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Razzled posted:

We wanted to keep it simple since we both didn't really know the rules all that well so it was basically a gunline army in killbox vs my dudes. We didn't really measure out the killbox either it was just 10" deployment from either sides of the meeting room table (we were playing at work at the end of the day) so there was a decent amount of legwork for me to get up the field

Yeah, this is basically what happens when you play low point games against gunlines without a real scenario to pressure them on. At least you played killbox to save you the endless back up and shoot nonsense, but I highly recommend at least giving some of the simpler scenarios like Outflank, Close Quarters, and Incursion a shot - they don't take a lot of work to set up (the most you'll need is some spare 40mm bases for flags, or a couple 12" diameter circles cut out of construction paper), and they really add a lot to the game in terms of getting it to the balance it's designed for. http://sr20x.com makes having all the info you need easy, and I highly recommend its use.

For actually resolving a gun problem with dudes, Fennblades do work pretty well, although they die relatively often to POW 10s unless they're in the krielstone bubble. The other option is to beat them at their own game using a Bomber instead of your Axer - Bomber + Impaler is incredibly strong battlegroup, even if it doesn't benefit from Crusher quite as well as some melee beasts do. On the other hand, POW 8 blast damage obliterates Gun Mages, and Cygnar heavies are definitely vulnerable to POW 16 shooting. Between that and some thrown axes from Madrak, you should be in good shape, especially if you can keep stuff in his Surefoot bubble to keep it from getting knocked down by obnoxious Thunderbolts.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Fleshing out the alt battlebox, I'd be inclined to add Janissa, a minimum Krielstone, or some Whelps and Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew, depending on whether you feel like you need to be gunproof and have a badass utility solo (Janissa), need more armor (krielstone, although with a minimum unit you'll end up being bunched up pretty tightly), or need more fury management (whelps, the swamp gobbers are just a bonus bit of protection for Doomshaper and potential objective holding in a pinch).

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone have any experience with Kreuger's Wake of Destruction Theme List? Or even just some theories on it. I'm still not super savvy on the blatant traps of listbuilding yet, but the siren call of pEyriss with Circle...

...It beckons.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

overthefalls posted:

I think I'm going to get back into Warmachine myself lately. Goddamn Kickstarter.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a 25pt list for Cygnar based on what I already have on hand:

Siege: "The Big Guns"
Siege: +5
Defender: 9
Defender: 9*
Grenadier: 5*
Trencher Chain Gun: 2
Trenchers (5+1): 6-1=5 (Tier 1)

Then from there, some Trencher Commandos, a Trencher CAnnon or two and a Journeyman Warcaster. I don't see a lot of information out there for this tier list; anyone have any experience?
* = still need to purchase

I want to do an Ashlynn or Magnus the Traitor list, but I should get used to the game again before going that direction.

If you don't already own the 2nd Defender and Grenadier, I'd swap them for a Charger and Stormclad. Pow 12s on feat turn are amazing, but pow 19 is so so fun. Plus then you have a bit more melee presence on the board for taking out Mulgs and Bronzebacks and things

edit: didn't see it was a tier list. Does Siege's tier give any other bonus besides the -1 cost of trenchers? It might not be super worth it, but ymmv

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Razzled posted:

Thing with trolls if you want speed out of Warders you need a caster that can do that. Jarl has two spells for it, pGrissel lets them advance after everything else activates etc. Mandrak does'nt do that, neither epic or primal do really. Trolls work way better around 25 points where they can have the support solo/uits like kreil stone or fell caller.

ATGM rule in small games if there is just one unit for them to thunder bolt back the entire game. In that situation just run every turn and keep fury on mandrak to transfer. Just running warders or the axer on top of the gun mages takes them out. I think the only can shoot into combat if they have eCaine so they do nothing in melee except die. You will find as you play many gun line armies sort of lose out when they get engaged which is why fenn blades are almost always suggested first thing when starting as it was. They just run 12 inches and can lock down with reach. Against gun mages if he plays them again put the warders in such a formation if they shoot the first one it'll just push into a warder right behind him so he won't be moved at all. Three in front two in back. With Sloan and her jacks just run at them only the defender will have some effectiveness in combat being a heavy. Mandrak himself can kill that, easier if he has a Dire troll Mauler ( get one if you like mandrak throwing his axe with rage gives him PS 18 axe to the face :black101: ) Sloan will cast a spell, hit something and walk out. Just move on top of her again she can't do anything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

WAR FOOT posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Kreuger's Wake of Destruction Theme List? Or even just some theories on it. I'm still not super savvy on the blatant traps of listbuilding yet, but the siren call of pEyriss with Circle...

...It beckons.

Do you like killing casters on the top of 2?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I experienced the pMakeda + Molik Karn missile combo for the first time this week. Ouch.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jcam posted:

I experienced the pMakeda + Molik Karn missile combo for the first time this week. Ouch.

Ah, you never forget your first Kharning. :allears:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

PaintVagrant posted:

Do you like killing casters on the top of 2?

This is a thing I like to experience, yes. It's not a terrible Theme?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jcam posted:

:getin:

Don't worry, even when you know it's coming and know how to deal with it, it still sucks :smith:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Pmakeda isn't even the scary one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

It's pretty decent, but also pretty pillowfisted; you're usually going to have to aim for a scenario victory. And as much as I love Druids, taking two units of them is a big investment. On the other hand, Wake of Destruction is one of the handful of Circle lists that runs Woldwrath very well, so if you like him, give it a shot.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

It forces you to buy a bunch of stuff you won't play in other lists. Double Druids, multiple construct heavies that aren't megalith, etc.

It's a really nasty "yank their caster across the table, knock him down, shoot him with eiryss1" rube Goldberg machine. It also can attrition in a similar way. If you are relatively new I wouldn't buy in. An experienced player might enjoy it's jank.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Pmakeda isn't even the scary one.

Yeah I've been playing a lot of eMakeda, iterating on that list I posted a while back. It's ridiculous with how fast that list gets up the board. She's just sitting there at mid-table with Karn on a leash while your caster is making GBS threads his pants in the deepest darkest corner of the board he can find. You can just imagine Severious quivering in some corner and if any of his dudes get near him he screams "GET AWAY FROM MEEEEEE" at them.

It's really rough with that list because they usually have to get their caster into the game to stop all the recursion and then they just die. Every. Time. Skorne just has all the tools to make it inescapable too. Behind a forest? Karn gets Eyeless Sight and Pathfinder. Incorporeal? Karn gets Magic Weapons. Tough? Slaughterhouse. High Defense? Karn can boost after the roll and gets re-rolls from the Willbreaker. High Armor? LOL, good luck! My most glorious Molik Moment was him one-shotting a 4-camp pButcher with Iron Flesh. Charge, PS 20 Weapon Master Combostrike connects, 5-6-6-5, 42 Damage. Kapow. Shoulda brought the dog, BITCH.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 17, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

jodai posted:

I am a die-hard Circle fan. I play Khador occasionally, but Circle is the only faction I play competitively and the one I use for 75% of my casual games, too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't played my Cryx in months and months and months, walked into the game shop today and saw Goreshade3 on the shelf... Guess I'm playing Cryx again :v:

edit; Well, my roommate accidentally super glued my bottle shut so I had to cut it open and kind of screwed up assembling him, but, sweet:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

My main problem is, that I love the aesthetics of the trolls, but the rules of legion. Goddamnit PP, why couldnt you have combined them :negative:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DJ Dizzy posted:

My main problem is, that I love the aesthetics of the trolls, but the rules of legion. Goddamnit PP, why couldnt you have combined them :negative:

Everblight-corrupted trolls.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Everblight-corrupted trolls.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

Are you paying for the bits, the conversions and the painting? :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are you paying for the bits, the conversions and the painting? :v:

I notice you're still posting instead of doing it.

Do it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just use these guys. Tell your opponent they're Minions who will work for Trolls or Legion. (Edit: Or proxy them as Blighted Ogrun Warmongers. Or glue some spears on them to make Warspears.)

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 18, 2014

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Blighted trolls would look rad as hell. Even just a bit of green stuff boils/scars/etc and a cool purpley flesh tone would prob do it. If this what you're into, rock it. Let your freak flag fly

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, and then be barred from every tournament ever when I turn up with a mauler posing as a carnivean :v:

EDIT: I made a list for trolls.

code:
Borka
MULG SMASH
Mauler
Axe

Full kriel warriors with officer UA

Min krielstone bearers with UA

Full troll champ with skaldi

Fell caller

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 18, 2014

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I would use anything else but Champs and Skaldi. Borka does nothing for them and they will just get bogged down in all of your medium bases.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Switch them out for Boomhowler?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I would use anything else but Champs and Skaldi. Borka does nothing for them and they will just get bogged down in all of your medium bases.

I actually really enjoy Borka with champs and Skaldi. Then again I always play them with a Champion hero so they can charge through each other. Even lets Skaldi counter charge through them. Usually give Borka a EBDT since he has nothing for beast support as it is besides knock down on a target with mosh pit and a Storm Troll. That things animus on a Champion hero with a thresher just kills units. Champs under the kriel stone with IF on is pretty hard to deal with, even heavies have hard hard times killing all of them or even enough of them to make it worth it when they kill it in return. Thats just me though maybe I just have real good luck with that set up. I just march them as a brick up the board with the Champs in front, Borka in back with Wind wall up to keep them safe form blasts for the most part. You could use Warders since they get one point higher armor if they take dmg but if they don't then any rough terrain will hinder them. Mainly the reason I take Champs with skaldi is relentless charge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can a Warlock cast a Warbeast's animus if it's outside of the Warlock's control range? Specifically, can I run Laris up the board and then have Kaya use Spirit Shift. Or would I have to feat first (let's her force beast's outside of her Control area)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sab669 posted:

Can a Warlock cast a Warbeast's animus if it's outside of the Warlock's control range? Specifically, can I run Laris up the board and then have Kaya use Spirit Shift. Or would I have to feat first (let's her force beast's outside of her Control area)

No, and even on feat turn he isn't considered in Kaya's control area if he is outside it, the feat just lets you force outside of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Sab669 posted:

As Khisanth said above, the answer is 'No'. HOWEVER! Remember that, with eKaya, she's Speed 7 with Pathfinder and Reach, so it should be trivially easy to run Laris up to engage the enemy 'Caster, then run another of your friendly models 11" away from Kaya in between her and Laris, so she can charge *it*, Spirit Shift, and still have her initial attack plus 4 focus to put the enemy in the dirt. She should only need to be within 22" of Laris at the end of his activation for this to work, and can bounce to outside of her control area, so her Flank assassination threat range is in the 25"-ish range.

• Locked thread