Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It starts a bit flat. There are tough battles later on but nothing impossibly hard. Manly because you can use inspection, or whatever it's called to level up and get some juicy decor items. You will need to exploit decor a lot to survive.

The true point of Soul Nomad is to use attack and steal items on innocent filthy rich NPCs in towns, then get Gideons in NG+ and go for the evil path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Tae posted:

What is the "difficulty level" of Soul Nomad, like is there a point when the game forces me to go beyond "Buff a lot, cannot die because of healers, repeat." There's not a lot of info on this game.

It's a bit all over the place. It starts out feeling balanced-ish but later on, map spells dominate everything. Keep some notes on the RPS-ish system -- mage teams casting map spells on melee teams will absolutely smash them and so on.

VVV: Shadowrun: Hong Kong just came out

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Are there any good newish rpgs out right now, been craving one since I finished the Witcher 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Are there any good newish rpgs out right now, been craving one since I finished the Witcher 3
Dragon Age: Inquisition was surprisingly decent if you haven't played it, though it is a bit bloated in terms of content. And one of the party members is insufferable, but that's Bioware standard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would not play DA3 if you just came off of Witcher, and I loved playing DA3. Unless you're a really big DA fan.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition was surprisingly decent if you haven't played it, though it is a bit bloated in terms of content. And one of the party members is insufferable, but that's Bioware standard.

Yeah, I already played that though I haven't bought the DLC. I liked it!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I beat that motherfucker solo back on the SNES and I had no idea what his babble meant. I don't think I ever got the accessory. What does it do?

It makes you immune to instant death (which is pretty handy for the final boss) and causes you to regenerate 1 HP per step outside of battle. You need Katt and Sten in your party to get to it.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 22, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hubris.height posted:

its also in 3 isn't it

yeah. sakura's there too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

I would not play DA3

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I stoppe caring about the Dragon Age series after beating DA:O. I think I've made the right choice.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anything I should know going into Type-0? Characters to Avoid? Skills to use? Bullshit I can miss?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kild posted:

Anything I should know going into Type-0? Characters to Avoid? Skills to use? Bullshit I can miss?

The game is fairly linear in not having a secret ending. You can't get it on a 1st playthrough anyway.

Best tip is to always have a character with a ranged ability. Do not bring all melee ever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm scouring cheapo JRPGs, here's my list so far, based on amazon seller used prices:

Romancing Saga - $11.80+sh
Blue Dragon - $5.79+sh
Magic Pengel - $9.97+sh
Enchanted Arms ("yyyOOOOOOOO") - $6.18+sh
FF13-2 (probably will skip this one) - $2.99+sh
Rune Factory PS3 - $12+sh
Dawn of Mana - $8.10+sh
FF CC:Crystal Bearers - $7.25+sh
Dragon Quest Swords - $5.47+sh
Magna Carta Tears of Blood - $9.66+sh
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits - $2.75+sh
4 Heroes of Light - $11.77+sh
Okage Shadow King - $10+sh
Opoona - $10.75+sh
Suikoden IV (i heard this one SUUUCKS) - $8.69+sh

Not an amazing list obv but at this point I've played or already gotten all the big ones so now I'm dipping into these.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kild posted:

I just started it too, but I think the game says to make sure to level everyone. You can bring characters on missions and they'll get experience even without using them though. You should try out all the characters eventually, especially once you get the arena (in chapter two) so you can do it without wasting any time.

King is :ocelot:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm scouring cheapo JRPGs, here's my list so far, based on amazon seller used prices:

Romancing Saga - $11.80+sh
Blue Dragon - $5.79+sh
Magic Pengel - $9.97+sh
Enchanted Arms ("yyyOOOOOOOO") - $6.18+sh
FF13-2 (probably will skip this one) - $2.99+sh
Rune Factory PS3 - $12+sh
Dawn of Mana - $8.10+sh
Dragon Quest Swords - $5.47+sh
Magna Carta Tears of Blood - $9.66+sh
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits - $2.75+sh
4 Heroes of Light - $11.77+sh
Okage Shadow King - $10+sh
Opoona - $10.75+sh
Suikoden IV (i heard this one SUUUCKS) - $8.69+sh

Not an amazing list obv but at this point I've played or already gotten all the big ones so now I'm dipping into these.
Magic Pengel is an interesting experiment, but a bad game.

Romancing SaGa is really great if you like open-ended games and can tolerate the SaGa series's particular brand of bullshit.

Okage: Shadow King is a good story and aesthetic and writing wrapped up in gameplay that's just kinda there. I'd read an LP instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blue Dragon is apparently the closest to FFV's job system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
arc the lad is half a fun plot and half a really, really boring plot, with a decent but very slow combat system

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Okage: Shadow King is a good story and aesthetic and writing wrapped up in gameplay that's just kinda there. I'd read an LP instead.

Okage has that great feature where if the main character dies, it's game over even if you had revive items or characters who can cast life magic. Oh, and that other great feature, spending HP to cast spells. Charming, but you need to have a high tolerance for bad design decisions, which we did in the early 2000s.

Suikoden 4 is just a bad Suikoden game. As a JRPG, it has its flaws, but it's no worse than the average title. The problem is that it tries to milk the Suikoden brand while not only being tangential to it, but also while throwing away a lot of the hallmarks of the series--gone was the campy writing and weird NPCs, and all we had was a generic experience where your recruits barely make sense within the context of the game. I guess the speedy, streamlined, and anti-grind combat was already gone by 3, though.

Tae posted:

I got it for a buck and I've always been curious. How close to FF5's job system, can I master jobs and then switch back to bare to inherit their bonuses?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 23, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae posted:

Until Bravely Default, at least. (And Final Fantasy Dimensions, but that one was pretty bad.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Suikoden 4 has a nice soundtrack and some nice atmosphere in places but other than that it's just a slow, plodding mess.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Just about the only thing I liked about Suikoden 4 is the mobile HQ, and even that is crap the moment you have to actually sail anywhere in it. I guess the few characters with any personality are okay. Mitsuba owns. Suikoden 4 clear data is nice to have for Tactics. That's about it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

arc the lad is half a fun plot and half a really, really boring plot, with a decent but very slow combat system

Culminating in a carbon copy of Arc 2's endboss but even longer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which Magna Carta is Tears of Blood? If its the PS2 one avoid like the plague. Enchanted Arms probably isn't worth whatever they want for it either, even if it free.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Culminating in a carbon copy of Arc 2's endboss but even longer.
The one which had something like an order of magnitude more HP than any other enemy in the game? And two forms?

And the one in Twilight of the Spirits is worse? :stonk:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Get the Okage soundtrack and listen to it while reading an LP of the game instead of playing it. And unless you have a high tolerance for slow progress, you might want to skip Magic Pengel.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

The one which had something like an order of magnitude more HP than any other enemy in the game? And two forms?

And the one in Twilight of the Spirits is worse? :stonk:

It's the exact same boss but everyone has longer animations and the boss now summons trash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

Okage has that great feature where if the main character dies, it's game over even if you had revive items or characters who can cast life magic. Oh, and that other great feature, spending HP to cast spells. Charming, but you need to have a high tolerance for bad design decisions, which we did in the early 2000s.

Suikoden 4 is just a bad Suikoden game. As a JRPG, it has its flaws, but it's no worse than the average title. The problem is that it tries to milk the Suikoden brand while not only being tangential to it, but also while throwing away a lot of the hallmarks of the series--gone was the campy writing and weird NPCs, and all we had was a generic experience where your recruits barely make sense within the context of the game. I guess the speedy, streamlined, and anti-grind combat was already gone by 3, though.

I got it for a buck and I've always been curious. How close to FF5's job system, can I master jobs and then switch back to bare to inherit their bonuses?

Suikoden 4 has the worst world map of all time, how the gently caress can you defend it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bongo Bill posted:

Until Bravely Default, at least. (And Final Fantasy Dimensions, but that one was pretty bad.)

Final Fantasy Dimensions has the problem of the abilities not giving you the stats to actually use them.

Really, that's part of what made FFV's Job system brilliant. It ensured that, no matter what, the player was competent in whatever you gave them. In most Job system games I've seen, if you give a fighter type character a magic command, they're going to be bad with it because they're not going to have the stats for it. FFV will give you the magic you need to use the command properly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I'd say the opposite actually. Suikoden IV tried really hard to be a good Suikoden game after Suikoden III threw a lot of the staples out. It was really trying hard to 'feel' Suikoden again. It throws in tons of references and callbacks and such. It just happens to be really poorly designed as an RPG so that even if you like those references you can't get past it. I'd actually say Suikoden III is a better "okay JRPG, bad Suikoden game" example.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Suikoden 4 has the worst world map of all time, how the gently caress can you defend it
crow you played crystal bearers right, what did you think of it

besides the cat video

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say the opposite actually. Suikoden IV tried really hard to be a good Suikoden game after Suikoden III threw a lot of the staples out. It was really trying hard to 'feel' Suikoden again. It throws in tons of references and callbacks and such. It just happens to be really poorly designed as an RPG so that even if you like those references you can't get past it. I'd actually say Suikoden III is a better "okay JRPG, bad Suikoden game" example.

How was Suikoden 5? I think I remember seeing people say that it was another good one like the first two. Is that true?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah it's good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suikoden V is very expensive to buy now though

Couple more titles added to my list cause I didn't think GBA titles would still be cheap: Sigma Star Saga - $7+sh, and Sword of Mana - $9+sh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

crow you played crystal bearers right, what did you think of it

besides the cat video

It's got a lot of minigames and the weird physics throwing stuff combat. It comes across as being a lot more for kids than previous crystal chronicles games, but it does have a lot of very obvious effort put into the areas and the art design and so on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How was Suikoden 5? I think I remember seeing people say that it was another good one like the first two. Is that true?

It is generally considered to be one of the better Suikoden games, arguably the best after 2. Some people really dislike it (The White Dragon is one and can probably fill you in on why) but by and large it is pretty well liked. The largest complaints are that it has an absurdly slow opening and the loading times are long enough that it bothers people.

I'd be willing to say that if you liked Suikoden 1 and 2, you'll like Suikoden V. I could be wrong but it's at least one of those situations where I'd say it is a safe bet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

It's got a lot of minigames and the weird physics throwing stuff combat. It comes across as being a lot more for kids than previous crystal chronicles games, but it does have a lot of very obvious effort put into the areas and the art design and so on.
Yeah the world design/cutscenes seemed very high effort like on par with Xenoblade in videos I saw

Bear in mind I bought and have played Spectrobes Origins so the game being for kids isn't a huge problem (all video games are for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's pretty good, there were a lot of small things that added up to me not really enjoying it though. Like objectively I recognize it's a fairly great game, and Arshtat and Ferid are some of my favorite characters in a game ever, but there are some things like the encounter rate paired with the long random encounter animation that gets under my skin, personally.

I like the undub more overall, but English Ferid is better :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 23, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

https://youtu.be/1dTp28W1BtQ

Opoona - $10.75+sh

Opoona is a pretty charming, kiddy, sci-fi story but it's a sorta repetitive game. I feel like it could be a bit cheaper, but I still think it's worth it for that price. The soundtrack is pretty great too.

https://youtu.be/lh4PWuxAuP4

I believe you need a Wii nunchuck (and remote) to play it, in case you don't have one for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

pichupal posted:

https://youtu.be/1dTp28W1BtQ

Opoona is a pretty charming, kiddy, sci-fi story but it's a sorta repetitive game. I feel like it could be a bit cheaper, but I still think it's worth it for that price. The soundtrack is pretty great too.

https://youtu.be/lh4PWuxAuP4

I believe you need a Wii nunchuck (and remote) to play it, in case you don't have one for some reason.

You can play Opoona with a classic controller.

I think the first couple hours of the game is kinda repetitive, but it gets better as it goes. The game world is surprisingly detailed for a Wii game. There's a decent amount of optional content as well. I enjoyed wondering around talking to all the NPCs I could find.