Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bagina posted:

It's hard to argue with higher textures and virtually no load times.
Saving anywhere, unlimited saves, modding, less noise if your PC is quiet, speed toggle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

I've been having some issues with hard locks (total system freeze requiring power cycling my CPU) while running God Hand. I haven't seen anything about this specific to God Hand, so I wonder if it's a system stability issue. It is somewhat puzzling as outside of PCSX2 I don't have any stability issues. Right now I'm running an i7 920 overclocked to something like 2.9GHz, which is fairly mild. My core runs in the neighborhood of 85 degrees, though, so that's pretty hot. Otherwise the game runs great, which makes the hard locks pretty frustrating.

I guess my question is, is there anything I should be looking at inside of PCSX2 or should I be focusing more on my system.

You should probably be focusing more on your system. Run Prime95 for a while and see what happens. Are you saying it runs at 85 idle or under heavy load? 90 or so is around the neighborhood where things can get bad for an Intel CPU.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You should probably be focusing more on your system. Run Prime95 for a while and see what happens. Are you saying it runs at 85 idle or under heavy load? 90 or so is around the neighborhood where things can get bad for an Intel CPU.

85 under load. It can push over 90 if I disable the frame limiter on FFX or something. I'm leaning towards system stability right now myself. I'll have to see if I can bring the temp down or reduce my clock rate back to stock. I'm still getting over the surprise of how hard this is on my CPU moreso than anything else I do.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Like I said, try running Prime95 and see if you get the same symptoms. It is the most CPU intensive thing you can do easily, and is a common stress test for these purposes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TehSaurus posted:

85 under load. It can push over 90 if I disable the frame limiter on FFX or something. I'm leaning towards system stability right now myself. I'll have to see if I can bring the temp down or reduce my clock rate back to stock. I'm still getting over the surprise of how hard this is on my CPU moreso than anything else I do.

I have the same cpu (i7 920) and it doesn't overheat at 3.49ish GHZ. I did put an aftermarket air fan on though. If you bought it with the stock heatsink/fan, it's normal for there to be a thick-rear end slab of thermal paste on there. In reality the heatsink is supposed to be touching the CPU with a tiny bit of thermal paste to ensure total contact. You might want to remove the heatsink, remove all the thermal paste, and apply a tiny tiny half-pea size blob of arctic silver. You probably know all this already though :)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

redreader posted:

I have the same cpu (i7 920) and it doesn't overheat at 3.49ish GHZ. I did put an aftermarket air fan on though. If you bought it with the stock heatsink/fan, it's normal for there to be a thick-rear end slab of thermal paste on there. In reality the heatsink is supposed to be touching the CPU with a tiny bit of thermal paste to ensure total contact. You might want to remove the heatsink, remove all the thermal paste, and apply a tiny tiny half-pea size blob of arctic silver. You probably know all this already though :)

It looks like system stability. I usually run a bunch of poo poo at the same time, PCSX2, G+ Hangout, and Flash Media Encoder for streaming, and that's just pushes the temperature too high. Yesterday I tried just running God Hand and didn't have any issues. As soon as I fired up everything else my temps rocked up to 90 degrees in pretty short order. I suspect Prime95 would end in a hardlock so I'll probably skip that step unless I feel like deliberately punching myself in the dick.

I do have an aftermarket cooler on my i7. Some Noctua thing that is roughly the size of my head. I have a good case too (Antec P-182 I think) but the location it's in doesn't have super great ventilation so that is probably most of the problem.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I do seem to have everything all sorted out at this point!

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So I'm trying to play Growlanser: Generations (Specifically Growlanser II) and I keep getting a black screen and just music after a scene transition or after a battle. The only way to fix this is to just reload a savestate and try again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Am I just going to have to go through the game savestating every time I think the scene is about to change?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Quake posted:

So I'm trying to play Growlanser: Generations (Specifically Growlanser II) and I keep getting a black screen and just music after a scene transition or after a battle. The only way to fix this is to just reload a savestate and try again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Am I just going to have to go through the game savestating every time I think the scene is about to change?
I think this was fixed a few months ago.

- Make sure you have a recent SVN build from the buildbot: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
- Make sure Automatic Gamefixes is ticked under System.
- When launching the game, do a Full BIOS boot instead of the normal Fast boot.

vvv You don't need it most of the time aside from a few problem games.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gyoru posted:

When launching the game, do a Full BIOS boot instead of the normal Fast boot.

Does this actually make a difference? I never used it for games that boot properly and it never helped me on games that didn't.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has there been any updates on the Ace Combat games?

I have PCSX2 v 1.0 ( just base ), and anytime I try to play AC4, it'll hardlock during some cutscenes, while dropping to ~10 FPS in others. With AC5 the ground textures bug out horribly, and certain mobs have no hitboxes. I never bothered testing Zero.

I did a bunch of searches, and they all are set back in the early days of PCSX2, saying the games didn't even work. The few people who got them working had the same issues as me, but never went in to more detail about how they fixed the problems, or even if they did. I imagine some progress has been made since then, I just can't find it online through search.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I remember the ace combat games getting some fixes, but there's still issues. Try running a test with the latest development version: http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Gyoru posted:

I think this was fixed a few months ago.

- Make sure you have a recent SVN build from the buildbot: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
- Make sure Automatic Gamefixes is ticked under System.
- When launching the game, do a Full BIOS boot instead of the normal Fast boot.

vvv You don't need it most of the time aside from a few problem games.

I had the latest public build from the pcsx2 site but I downloaded the newest build from that link and it started working, so thanks!

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I've managed to get my Duo-Core 2.6Ghz to run FFX pretty smooth (mostly). Are there any other games I can run decently? I can overclock if necessary, but I'd rather not.

I only ask cause I don't quite understand how this all works as much as you guys in the thread. However, I've gotten some drat good advice from reading everything! (Been following this thread for over a year.)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Damonic posted:

I've managed to get my Duo-Core 2.6Ghz to run FFX pretty smooth (mostly). Are there any other games I can run decently? I can overclock if necessary, but I'd rather not.

I only ask cause I don't quite understand how this all works as much as you guys in the thread. However, I've gotten some drat good advice from reading everything! (Been following this thread for over a year.)

The only games I've run are God Hand and FFX so far, but God Hand seems to overall be less demanding than FFX. So there's one datapoint for you!

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Well, I thought that had fixed my Growlanser problem but it's still creeping up. Even in the program log it says "IPU Freeze Fix" when it happens but it still doesn't do anything. Though if I start using savestates it breaks actual saving (freezes when you try and save) and if I don't use savestates then I run the chance of wasting a ton of gameplay between saves. This sucks!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Damonic posted:

I can't really run PCSX2 very well, but I've heard the Kingdom Hearts games run pretty well even on lower-spec machines.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm playing the Shadow Hearts games and for the most part they run fine. The game chugs a bit when I cast a spell but that was normal even on actual hardware.

However there's one crippling flaw that every time the judgement ring appears the graphics glitch out and the timing on your attacks have a half second delay that I'm sure wasn't on the PS2. Both issues are in Covenant and From the New World (not playing the original).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The graphics definitely glitch for me in Covenant during a judgement ring, but the timing has never seemed off at least. And the graphical glitch is no big deal, though I do wonder how it decides which weird still-frame from a past battle it will show.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Been looking into PCSX2 occasionally for I guess it's a few years with the very faint hope I'll be able to play The Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai again.

Sadly it just loads up but you keep running into invisible walls whenever you try and move. So far the only threads I see about it are on PCSX2 forums where people ask to get this game specifically to work. Then others yell at them for having the GALL to ask for specific game consideration.

I still have my PS2 and my games but man it would be great to play an upscaled version. :(

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I have an issue where my analog control doesn't seem to be especially precise. It feels more like an 8-direction joystick.

I mostly play RPGs so it's usually not a huge issue but it's especially problematic in games like Kingdom Hearts (and Dawn of Mana, which uses the same engine). I can't even run full speed toward the camera, if I hold straight down it runs but if I go a little left or right it slows to a walk.

edit: I'm using an Xbox 360 controller.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

Wendell posted:

The graphics definitely glitch for me in Covenant during a judgement ring, but the timing has never seemed off at least. And the graphical glitch is no big deal, though I do wonder how it decides which weird still-frame from a past battle it will show.

There isn't a way around the graphical glitch aside from running the game in software mode, as far as I know.

The graphical glitch is a little jarring, though. One little trick I found was to switch between software mode and back to hardware mode while the screen was black, after finishing a battle for instance. The judgement ring screen will use whatever was being displayed when you toggled between the hardware and software modes, so when the judgement ring is up the backround is black rather than showing a map you pulled up five minutes ago. I found that a little bit more pleasing to the eye. Hope that made sense.

blue font fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 18, 2013

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Damonic posted:

My last computer (which couldn't even run FFX at full speed) could run Disgaea (and by extension, probably all of the other Nippon Ichi tactical RPGs), Odin Sphere, and Ar Tonelico at pretty much 100%, so any games with mostly 2D graphics should run perfectly on your system.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dross posted:

I have an issue where my analog control doesn't seem to be especially precise. It feels more like an 8-direction joystick.

I mostly play RPGs so it's usually not a huge issue but it's especially problematic in games like Kingdom Hearts (and Dawn of Mana, which uses the same engine). I can't even run full speed toward the camera, if I hold straight down it runs but if I go a little left or right it slows to a walk.

edit: I'm using an Xbox 360 controller.

Check the controller settings in Windows Control Panel and adjust the dead zone and calibration there.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Like I said, try running Prime95 and see if you get the same symptoms. It is the most CPU intensive thing you can do easily, and is a common stress test for these purposes.

There's something called Intel burn test / Linpack as well.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

axolotl farmer posted:

Check the controller settings in Windows Control Panel and adjust the dead zone and calibration there.

I'll give that a shot when I get home, but the problem is specific to PCSX2.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I get some weird screen tearing(?) in Valk Profile 2. The easiest way to experience it is whenever I dash in a battle it gets all garbled except for my party.

e: I'm on the latest SVN from the OP

Some screenshots

Moving Around

Entering a battle

Dashing

e2: Turning off constant frameskipping seems to have fixed it

Kild fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 19, 2013

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
Any chance on getting Xenosaga to run right? Experiencing massive slowdown and speedhacks aren't working.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
On the Xenosaga token, I'm trying to load a clear save in XS2. I used mymc-gui to import the gamefaqs saves to the card but when I'm prompted to load clear data I'm told none is found. Is this an issue or is there something else at play?

EDIT: The saves show up in MYMC but when I boot PCSX2 with no disc and use the memory card browser, they don't show up there. This with both X-port and Codebreaker saves. What am I missing?

EDIT2: Even running MYMC as admin doesn't seem to create the save. It's there in MYMC, but the browser doesn't recognize it. I can't seem to find anything on this so I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 19, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrainGlitch posted:

Any chance on getting Xenosaga to run right? Experiencing massive slowdown and speedhacks aren't working.

Make sure the MTVU speed hack is turned off, that makes Xenosaga run slower. Otherwise, it's just kind of hard to run fast in PCSX2.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 20, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Does anyone have any solutions for PS3 controllers for use with PCSX2 on PC? I cannot use motioninjoy no matter what I do, so don't recommend it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Megalixir posted:

Does anyone have any solutions for PS3 controllers for use with PCSX2 on PC? I cannot use motioninjoy no matter what I do, so don't recommend it.

Let me guess. Windows 8?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Megalixir posted:

Use a 360 controller instead?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
How do I get rumble feedback to work on PCSX2, or any PSone emulator for that matter? Is it even possible to begin with?

The vibration testing works in motionjoy, and I don't see a setting anywhere else to mess with it. Every controller setting in the emulator I make sure it's set on Dualshock2 and the force feedback settings are checked.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Let me guess. Windows 8?

Helter Skelter posted:

Use a 360 controller instead?

I would rather not play games at all.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When was the last time you downloaded it? The recent versions have been signed. (Also if you've tried any form of libusb-based driver, that can do weird and bad things to your entire USB stack.)

Try plugging in the PS3 controller, and then when the failed driver shows up in Device Manager uninstall and delete it. Then try again, with the newest version.

Otherwise (or if you define broken by the fact that it uses the web for things) you'll have to try another controller.

quote:

I would rather not play games at all.

Truly, this is a healthy and rational opinion.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

When was the last time you downloaded it? The recent versions have been signed. (Also if you've tried any form of libusb-based driver, that can do weird and bad things to your entire USB stack.)
Did MotionJoy fix their stuff? I thought it still pretty much hijacked your USB/Bluetooth stack, and you also needed to let it through firewalls.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't get it to work, so I used an old version. I think if you look through my post history you'll see a few download links to old versions that work fine.

Terror Van
Aug 26, 2007

Are these your friends?
yesss..?

Megalixir posted:

Get a PS2 controller. I plugged in a wacky chinese "PIII-Converter" from dealextreme into Windows 7 and it recognized it as a joystick right away with all the buttons.

Edit: Latest revisions fixed the We Love Katamari cutscenes. Hooray. :toot:

Terror Van fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 20, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Terror Van posted:

Get a PS2 controller. I plugged in a wacky chinese "PIII-Converter" from dealextreme into Windows 7 and it recognized it as a joystick right away with all the buttons.

Same here. Ive been using PS2 controllers with cheap chinese adapters for years, it woprks perfectly on windows with no hassles at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Seriously if you want a PS2/3 controller for the PC without messing with 3rd party drivers or Chinese crap and have something just plug in and play, get your self either one of these Logitech controllers.

I can't recommend them them enough, the latter has L2/R2 triggers like the PS3 so keep that in mind.

• Locked thread