Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tunahead posted:

The main reason why I don't believe in this is because of Nagito. He wears the same kind of clothes as Naegi, he's SHSL Luck, and his name is "It's Makoto Naegi". Obviously this isn't a coincidence. Some folks speculated that this could just be a meta reference that the game itself is making at the player, who would likely know of the events of the previous game. Personally I doubt this, because mysteries run on clues and conservation of detail, and all of those things are there for the mystery protagonist's benefit, so they can solve the mystery. They don't find footprints that mean nothing or people that act secretive about their real name because it's just something embarrassing like Donglebert. Nagito within the context of the story is a reference to Naegi. And there's no reason for anyone to aggressively reference Naegi with every fiber of their being in the context of the Ronpaverse before the events of the first game.
Everything about this post is completely sensible and I agree with it completely. Therefore it will probably turn out to be entirely wrong, because that's just the kind of game this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Glazius posted:

Do you have to talk to people in that order, or is there always a monitor close by for Usami to call everyone together?

Because if you're supposed to reach Togami last, that'd be like the crown jewel of ridiculous coincidences if you'd played the last game.

Looking back to previous updates, there appears to be at least one monitor in each of the introduction areas. Pretty sure oren was saving the one we all wanted to see most for last.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!
Wild speculation time: Nagito is actually a SHSL Fanboy for Naegi.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Everything about this post is completely sensible and I agree with it completely. Therefore it will probably turn out to be entirely wrong, because that's just the kind of game this is.

Doesn't seem to be the case here. My view is that Dangan Ronpa 1 didn't trick people by having things go against narrative laws, it tricked people by not giving enough information to make a prediction. Well, that's my understanding of how things went, I didn't keep the best track of that thread. Junko was indeed a villain, and people correctly predicted how things would go down in several cases, which indicates to me that Dangan Ronpa does and will play by ordinary narrative laws, in general.

But it always did give very little information on how anything the villains did was possible, so none of the actions by the villains could be predicted properly. For example, stuff like Monobear becoming Junko? That makes more sense than any of the other stunts Monobear and Junko ever pulled. And it doesn't make any sense at all. Which is why Dangan Ronpa is famed for its not making sense.

To summarize, it always left out some crucial pieces of the story, such that you can't predict the villains, but when it did give you all the pieces of some subset of the whole picture, it was predictable within that subset. Therefore, I say you're wrong.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Tunahead posted:

Personally I doubt this, because mysteries run on clues and conservation of detail, and all of those things are there for the mystery protagonist's benefit, so they can solve the mystery. They don't find footprints that mean nothing or people that act secretive about their real name because it's just something embarrassing like Donglebert.

This is what I said to myself during the LP of the first game-- and then it turned out that there were all kinds of throwaway details that didn't contribute anything to the central mystery or the individual cases. A lot of us were sure that the corpse-eating Monobear Flower would figure into the final case, and I was certain that the alien abduction of part of Hagakure's burger would have something to do with something, but they didn't. With the possible exception of Naegi's advice to Chihiro, none of the free-time events had any bearing on the main plot. And that's fine. Every mystery is entitled to its share of red herrings.

I'm definitely not saying that I think this is a prequel-- there's not enough evidence either way at this point, and my gut feeling is that it isn't. I am saying that Dangan Ronpa has never been on speaking terms with conservation of detail.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Happy new year everyone.

My New Year's Resolution? Try to follow this all the way. Seriously, Orenren and Fedule- I probably have said this before but thank you guys so much for this! Dangan Ronpa is just the type of game I like, and I really hate it whenever they don't get any sort of english release, so I have to wait for subs or something. (Before I talk about something relevant- I loved how the last game had ironic deaths for all of the culprits.)

I have to say, Togami really can't be the original Togami. My evidence? Togami from the first one actually went a while without food or leaving the library, it seemed. Another is just simply the impossibility for the two Togamis to be possible- although the missing Age does play a part, how often is it that someone, especially a highschooler, has the same height for more than a year or so? Unless Togami went through the Subway diet, or started packing on he pounds like... someone who gains a lot of weight quickly, I sincerely doubt that Togami can be the same in both games.

The same kind of goes for Nagito and Naegi- The personalities are different, if the slightly more Sarcastic remarks of Nagito is any indication, the height different is quite massive, and the way they stand (Naegi was very subdued in his poses, while Nagito has a bit of a dramatic flair) aren't really similar. Even the way they talk-- Nagito is a lot more active of a conversationalist than Naegi was, even going so far as to actually introduce himself.

I would talk about Aoi and Akane, but my only comment about them is that Akane is very abrasive when Aoi was much more friendly. Other than that, there isn't really enough knowledge about Akane for me to say anything.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 1, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Tunahead posted:

The main reason why I don't believe in this is because of Nagito. He wears the same kind of clothes as Naegi, he's SHSL Luck, and his name is "It's Makoto Naegi". Obviously this isn't a coincidence. Some folks speculated that this could just be a meta reference that the game itself is making at the player, who would likely know of the events of the previous game. Personally I doubt this, because mysteries run on clues and conservation of detail (...) Nagito within the context of the story is a reference to Naegi. And there's no reason for anyone to aggressively reference Naegi with every fiber of their being in the context of the Ronpaverse before the events of the first game.

The thing about conservation of detail, is that it is flatout busted by two things:
Easter Eggs. This includes any kind of wink at the player
Red Herrings. Where the author is deliberately using CoD to set up drama

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I'm seriously late on noticing this, and somebody else probably would have brought it up by now, but what the hell is wrong with Nagito's shoes?! I mean if it was just a single zipper on both, I wouldn't really be bothered by it, but in what world does dual zippers on both shoes serve any logical purpose?! God damnit Japan.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Lynkericious posted:

I'm seriously late on noticing this, and somebody else probably would have brought it up by now, but what the hell is wrong with Nagito's shoes?! I mean if it was just a single zipper on both, I wouldn't really be bothered by it, but in what world does dual zippers on both shoes serve any logical purpose?! God damnit Japan.
I gave up on zippers and Japan when they put a zipper on Donald Duck's hat. Which only causes it to turn into a flat piece of cloth. Incredible design, guys.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Conro101 posted:

I gave up on zippers and Japan when they put a zipper on Donald Duck's hat. Which only causes it to turn into a flat piece of cloth. Incredible design, guys.

I always hoped that Nomura's zipper obsession would just be one guy's quirk. The thought that other artists are apeing it is disturbing.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I think the aversion to them is pretty much actually unique to the Americas. You can see a ton of zippers in fashion and shoes all over the place pretty much everywhere except America. Either way, I wouldn't let it bother me, they aren't really an exaggerated or out there feature of Nagito, for better or worse.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
So, when in the game are we actually going to see Nagito's shoes? Like two of the CGs? Fewer if he dies early. It's about as much of a non-detail as can be, really. Pretend it's a non-canon Expanded Universe thing or something if it really bothers you.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

HangedManArcana posted:

My New Year's Resolution? Try to follow this all the way.

My resolution is to do that and speculate on the plot of this video game, too. I think Togami and the hamsters are in cahoots.

:smug:

ultrakirby64
Dec 30, 2012
I'm just going to guess now that if Gundam is a murderer at some point, the hamster will be involved somehow. Maybe a locked room murder where only the hamsters were able to fit inside. Or some other thing along those lines.

KillerDan
Nov 4, 2012
What, do you think he'd train his hamsters to slip into a locked room to kill someone? That seems a bit much even for a Super Highschool Level Animal Breeder. How would a hamster even begin to kill a person, anyway?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KillerDan posted:

What, do you think he'd train his hamsters to slip into a locked room to kill someone? That seems a bit much even for a Super Highschool Level Animal Breeder. How would a hamster even begin to kill a person, anyway?

Obviously by going for the eyes.

Lana Death Ray
Dec 26, 2012
Hmmm, my first impression (upon seeing Tubgami & Nagito) was that this is some sort of alternative reality remake of the first game? That being said it would probably be more interesting if it turned out otherwise and they were moles of some sort....

Also, I think that Nagito will be the first one to go due to being basically a walking, talking tutorial and you're forced to spend time with him, much like Sayaka in the first part?

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Kanfy posted:

I saw it happen to a Skullmonkey once. Wasn't pretty.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Or if they're ninjesque, crawl into the throat and induce suffocation.
In case of failure, use hamster claws.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Alternative answer: Poisoning.

...Yes, I am suggesting that the hamsters are going to poison someone. Specifically because it allows for easy scapegoats.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously by eating.

"Do it to Julia!"

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Gundam's hamsters are the poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters, obviously. Just one touch and it's game over.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Gundam's hamsters are the poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters, obviously. Just one touch and it's game over.

Maybe they're just Pedigree Siberian Hamsters.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
I've been catching up with DR0 and reading about Matsuda talking about creating a device that can store and destroy memory, and I had a thought.

(Quote: In the future, we might even be able to treat memories like we do data on a hard drive - we’ll be able to create devices that back them up or destroy parts of them freely.)

People have been wondering if DR was using clones, or that some of the people in DR2 are the same as those in DR1. What if they are different people that have been given the MEMORY of another person. If you can create a back-up of someones memory, then you could put it into someone else's head.

Maybe they have Not-Naegi because they wanted to learn more about how Naegi won the first time. Not-Naegi, would then actually not be Naegi, but someone who was given his memory. Togami could be the same, but I'm not sure why they would bother in that case...

Sorry to bring up the Naegi/Togami thing again, but it just seemed really interesting.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Siiiiigh......
Zzzzzzzzzz...
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......GYAAAAAAAAH!

I jumped to my feet at the sudden pain of my skin being pulled violently, and saw a boy standing at my bedside with a jumble of cords attached to suction cups in his hands. My heart started beating fast.

“Ah! It’s Matsuda-kun, isn’t it? Isn’t it!?”

Not wasting a second, I leaped straight into him, but just like a matador he nimbly stepped aside. My head crashed into the wall as if I was the coyote, tricked by the Road Runner. I could see stars spinning around my head.

“Ugugugu... Why are you avoiding me...?”

“Because you have a swollen face.”

“Y...You can’t go calling a girl’s face swollen...!”, I turned my shaky feet and peeked into a mirror I found on top of one desk. My face was packed with violet-blue specks the size of small coins... Swollen, sure enough.

“B...But, that’s because you pulled those suction cups off my face so violently, Matsuda-kun!”

“I was in a hurry.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t mind if you go right here!”

“.........I’m not in a hurry because I have to use the toilet.”

“Of course, how silly of me! Matsuda-kun never has to use the toilet at all!”

“What do you even think I am, Ugly?”

“You’re the most sublime being in human history, of course!”

“Don’t include me in your ridiculous delusions...”, Matsuda-kun exhaled a big breath, as if giving up. “I’ve had enough. If I keep talking to you I’d go weird in the head too”. He started tidying up the trolley. “Anyway, I have more business to attend to today. Go home, quickly now.”

“Eh? But whyyyyy!?” Naturally, I strongly objected to the proposition. “I don’t wanna! I’d be lonely!”

“Honestly, you’re such an annoying girl...” Matsuda-kun narrowed his eyes and slowly stepped in front of my face. He grasped both of my shoulders tenderly. “Close your eyes.”

“......Eh?”

“Just do it, close them.”

As my heart beat rhythmically at Matsuda-kun drawing near before my eyes, I did as I was told and closed them. My entire body became hot. I felt as if I was about to melt. The blood vessels behind my ears pulsed violently. This situation could only mean one thing, right?! It’s a terrible cliche, but what else could it be?! It is, isn’t it? It is!

Then, as the anticipation made my heart go boom boom boom, I felt Matsuda-kun moving behind me. Before I could even wonder what was going on, he started pushing me forward. In a second, I was thrown out into the corridor.

“Ow!”

I collapsed on the corridor’s floor from the excessive force of Matsuda-kun’s shove. It was a small mercy that I had clean underpants on.

“The next treatment is in three days. Be a good girl and stay in your room. Don’t go out on needless walks”, said Matsuda-kun before I could even get up, and then shut the door loudly behind him.

“Uuuu... He tricked me...”

My shoulders drooped, but since there was nothing I could do I simply left the neurology lab, crestfallen. As I exited the biology building, the first thing I did was check my notebook. I had to go back to the dorms, but since I forgot where they were, I flipped through the pages of “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook” as I walked. Eventually, I found the school map it seemed I drew all by myself. I guess this is a good time to do a full scale review of my notes, and explain the full picture regarding Hope’s Peak Academy.

Here we go.

According to my map, Hope’s Peak Academy’s campus is shaped like a large diamond. It’s divided into four quarters - East, West, South and North, each the size of a full-scale regular high-school. The East quarter - through which I walked now - was the heart of the academy, where the buildings and facilities used by the main school are located. Many of its buildings were still under construction, but there were also several magnificent, envy-inducing research buildings for various fields, much like Matsuda-kun’s Biology Building. In addition, it seems this quarter is also home to the staff building, which students are forbidden to enter.

Then there’s the west quarter. It seems the buildings and facilities for the preparatory school are located there, but I don’t think I’ve ever visited it. Unfortunately, there isn’t much written in my notebook about it.

The south quarter is where Hope’s Peak Academy’s student dormitories are. In addition, it seems there’s a convenience store, a bookstore, and various other shops where necessary supplies can be bought. By the way, it seems only students belonging to the main school are allowed to live in the dorms, and that it’s a special perk that doesn’t even cost money.

Then there’s the north quarter, which is apparently currently vacant. The only thing left there is the old school building, which was still in use until just recently. For the time being it seems it’s been left neglected, so naturally entrance is forbidden. In other words, there isn’t much to say about it.

Finally, at the very center of the campus, surrounded by the four quarters, is the “central plaza” - a large park-like space overgrown with trees. It’s often used as a relaxation area for the students, but it appears entry is forbidden between 10 at night and 7 in the morning. Well, I don’t plan on walking around in the middle of the night, so it seems it has nothing to do with me.

...And so, thanks to the information-packed hand drawn map, I managed to make my way to the dorms safely. Then, ignoring the greetings of the students who passed me by in the corridor, I went straight to my room.

When I entered the room, I was met with stickers reading “This is my room” stuck all around. Yep, this is the right place, there’s no question about it! After confirming this important fact, I stood near the doorway for a while staring into space. But, no matter how much I tried I couldn’t think of anything I wanted to do, so eventually I simply collapsed into my bed. Nevertheless, it seems I already took a midday nap somewhere, because I couldn’t fall asleep.

Reluctantly, I decided to kill some time. For me, killing time means exactly one thing. I took out “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook” and, still lying on the bed, started flipping through its pages.

Everything that’s written down in this notebook is the undeniable truth, but I can’t remember any of it. In other words, it feels like I’m reading a non-fiction book about myself. The excitement of experiencing my own past vicariously is an amazing form of entertainment that only someone as forgetful as myself can enjoy.

I read about what I talked with Matsuda-kun about, and what he said to me. Most of the notebook was about Matsuda-kun, but that’s exactly what makes it so much fun. Then, as I continued flipping through the notebook, my eyes stopped on one single page.

That page was packed with sketches of a boy’s face. My heartbeat... wasn’t as fast as it could be but increased slightly in speed.

These are probably portraits of Matsuda-kun. But, since my heart isn’t beating that fast, they’re probably not very good likenesses. Maybe I should try to make some amendments?

“Hmmm... I think the nose is all wrong. No, maybe it’s the eyes...?”

I can’t really remember what Matsuda-kun’s face looks like, but I used my heartbeat as a measure and carefully took to redrawing the sketches. That’s probably how bomb disposal personnel feel when they go searching for land mines. No, I guess it’s a little different.

And so, after messing with the portrait for a little bit, I felt my heart beating a little bit faster than it did before.

“I did it...”, I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. If I just continue fiddling with the sketch little by little, I’m sure it will eventually look just like the real Matsuda-kun. I probably did the exact same thing before -- I just don’t remember it. It’s just that working on this sketch requires every bit of my concentration, and I can’t keep it up for very long. Tired, I placed the notebook next to my pillow, and turned to lie face up. Then, I started to whisper.

...I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun.

It was the only thing I could do. Right now, the only thing I can do is whisper deep inside my heart how much I want to meet Matsuda-kun. There is nothing else I can think about. Nothing else I can do. Nothing else I should do. I can’t remember anything else, after all. Not even my family or my other classmates. For me, the people living in the outside world and what they do feels just like watching a boring stage play from the sidelines. I can’t treat them as real beings. I don’t even feel I live in the same world they do. Noisy classrooms, sweat-drenched PE lessons, festive lunchtimes, stopping to grab a bite after club activities, sitting on the ground chatting with friends, embarrassing conversations with the family... I can’t even feel envy or regret that I’m missing these things out. They simply have nothing to do with me, and that’s it.

But, the only existence keeping me from being entirely cut off from the world... is Matsuda-kun.

And that’s why I can’t think of anything else but him.

I don’t stop for a second to think about any other thing. I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to mee-- Thump.

There was a strange sound, and I came back to my senses. I raised myself from the bed, and found a letter shoved under the room’s door.

“It’s from Matsuda-kun!”

It was the logical conclusion to make, and so I jumped to grab the envelope, and hurried to read the letter inside.

“Dear Ms. Super High-school Level Pitiful Forgetful Girl,
I have taken all the precious “past memories” you have so meticulously chronicled.
There are a lot of them, and they all chronicle your past with Yasuke Matsuda.
That’s the entire weight of your past right there, isn’t it?
Isn’t it? Isn’t it?
By the way, if you think I am lying just look under your bed.
That’s where you stored all your “memories”, but there isn’t even a single one left.
That’s because I took them all.
Well, then, let’s get to the main issue.
If you want your “memories” back, come to the fountain in the central plaza tonight at 1AM.
Come alone, of course.
It’s not like you even have anyone to call, is it?
That’s fine, then.
That’s all. Thank you for your cooperation. I am looking forward to hearing from you.”

My body stiffened as I finished reading the letter. It stiffened, and yet it also quivered like a plate of jelly. In other words, I was so disturbed that the previous simile seemed appropriate.

...A threat?
...What’s going on?
...I don’t get it...

But, this problem couldn’t be solved with a few questioning lines. First, I have to check under the bed like the letter said! When I hastily did so, there was nothing there. To tell you the truth, I don’t even remember ever storing old notebooks under there, but if I really did and all of my past memories of Matsuda-kun were stolen, it’s terrible! It means all I have left is this current notebook I hold in my hand.

...That’s all I have left? Just one measly notebook?
...That’s what more than 15 years of memories amount to?

Suddenly, a strange feeling descended upon me. Is that what they call a feeling of loss? Until now, that kind of feeling was unfamiliar to the forgetful me. I’m sure people who learn to live with a small wound have to always endure a certain amount of pain, but that wasn’t the case for me. I had no idea how to deal with this new pain I currently felt.

For the time being, I was simply angry.

“Who... Whose idea of a prank is this...?”

My voice was strained and shaky, my fists grasping the letter, crumbling it.

“W...What...? Why...?”

I let my thoughts be led by the anger -- perhaps, this is the work of some sleazeball scheming to get between me and Matsuda-kun’s love. I think Matsuda-kun is very handsome and looks cool, so many girls must be after him! For such girls, the growing love between us must be an eyesore, so one of them must have succumbed to desperate measures. She took my memories hostage, and is probably going to do something to me once I answer her call. Oh, she’s such a mean woman! My anger reached its boiling point and was about to erupt like Mt. Etna -- but it didn’t.

“Hmmm...”

It appears that I have even forgotten how to be properly angry.

But, that was just natural. Someone as uninvolved with the world as I am is a stranger to feelings of anger. Therefore, I had no idea how to funnel it. I guess anger that originates in the imagination alone has its limits. In any case, since I couldn’t let my anger out, my feelings rapidly cooled down.

“I guess I’ll just do as the letter asks and think about it later.”

Having completely cooled down, I lay down on the bed and waited for 1AM, the appointed time. I read the letter over and over so I wouldn’t forget what I was waiting for. And then, as the time approached...

“...But, this won’t turn into a fight, right? It’s going to be okay, isn’t it?”, harboring these depressing thoughts, I left my room.

“Um... It was the central plaza, right?”

I walked down the pavement with heavy steps, checking the map in “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook”.

The world at night. Everyone was asleep. Tonight, I was the only person walking about. I could sense not a single other human being in the area. I did sense the presence of things which were not human, but I should probably not think too deeply about that. To tell you the truth, the thought of just going back to my room crossed my mind several times, but leaving my memories stolen did not appeal to me, so my feet reluctantly pushed me forward.

After walking for a short while, an iron fence came into view. It was set up to completely block the road I was walking along. According to my notebook, entry to the central plaza was forbidden between 10PM and 7AM, and that’s probably why this fence is here. In other words, if I can’t overcome this fence, I won’t be able to reach my destination. This time, I seriously thought about going back, but at the last moment made a firm resolution and started climbing the fence. A few moments later, I somehow managed to land on the lawn on the other side. I started walking around the central plaza, looking for the fountain I was told to go to.

The darkness deepened. It was probably because this area was thick with trees. The same trees that were usually brilliantly sparkling green under the light of the sun were now painting the plaza pitch black in the starless night. I walked around in darkness for a while, until suddenly my field of vision grew wider. In front of me was a small square. In its center stood a lone street lamp, relatively illuminating its surroundings. Near the lamp, I could see the fountain I was looking for. The water coming out of it made a cute soft splashing sound. As soon as my consciousness understood I have reached my destination, my nervousness increased.

I stepped slowly toward the fountain with excessive caution, but after just a few steps I stopped in my tracks.

I could see someone standing on the other side of the fountain.

I could only see the upper half of their body peeking from the shadows of the trees, but it was pretty clear I was looking at a man’s back.

“Um, excuse me...”, I boldly raised my voice, but there was no answer.

...I guess I should go just a little bit closer.

Leaves rustled under my feet. Nevertheless, the man didn’t make any sign he had noticed the noise. I continued stepping forward and raised my voice again.

“Um... Was it you who called me here?”

Once again, there was no answer.

He... couldn’t possibly not have heard me.

My body became heavy. A growing sense of dread pushed down on both my shoulders. In no time my tightly fisted hands were covered in sweat. Nevertheless, the lure of mystery pushed me forward, and the contours of the faint figure in front of me gradually became clearer.

I saw a man wearing a suit. His hair was white and his neck covered with countless deep wrinkles.

Suddenly, a gust of wind came blowing by.

Sway, sway.
Sway, sway.

The man’s figure swayed feebly in the wind.

I felt cold shivers all over my body. They felt as if someone touched the back of my neck with an icy hand. I faintly heard a different part of me yelling at me to stop inside my brain, but my feet moved on their own accord as I approached the man and looked at his face.

Our eyes met.

My eyes met the bloodshot red eyeballs bulging out of the man’s wide open eyes.

His face was pale, and the dark blood-vessels on it made an eerie pattern. A tongue that looked like a rotting sea slug hanged down from his mouth, reaching the nape of his neck.

He was not standing on the ground.

He was hanging from a rope around his neck.

That rope was now swaying slowly in the wind.

It was a sight that, just by witnessing it, could snatch every bit of heat from your body -- but this is not the time to write flowery descriptions in my notebook! I should run away! This has nothing to do with me!

Drip. Drip.

Instead, my eyes dropped to the source of a strange sound. Drops fell from the man’s tiptoes and gathered in a small puddle under him.

For some reason there was a notebook lying in the puddle.

The moment I saw it, I felt intense electric currents running through my brain.

On the notebook’s front cover, in blurry yet clear letters, was written “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook.”

orenronen fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 2, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
:stare:

Well that is certainly something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

There aren't enough :stare: in the world to fully summarize this.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I'm guessing SHSL Despair is behind this. But seriously, who is this old man? A board member, a teacher or something like that? :confused:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

quote:

It was a sight that, just by witnessing it, could snatch every bit of heat from your body -- but this is not the time to write flowery descriptions in my notebook!

Is this a joke or is she actually writing in her notebook as she goes along :stare:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I guess the four school quarters explains the difference between the overhead shot and the mention of extra buildings in DR0. This book is certainly getting much more interesting (not that it was uninteresting before).

physxman
Oct 29, 2012
:stare:

Holy.

Wow.

I, uh, really don't know how to respond to this.

Was not expecting this development.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Well, I guess something bad was going to happen eventually.

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
I'm getting the idea she's about to be framed for murdering that man, and that her notebook is supposed to make her complicit in it to those who are willing to take the very first opportunity for blame to be thrown on someone. Though, an earlier post did ask if she's writing something as she's going along, which would make all this especially sort of weird.

That, or her notebook is now about to be soggy and unreadable, one supposes. Despair-inducing?

EDIT: And now that I think about it, she'll probably have forgotten entirely about the letter telling her to come there too, making this double-perfect.

spd12 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 1, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One of the board members was going to try and make her leave the school, but he got bored, read through the notebook, and was so overcome with pity and despair that he killed himself.

Or it had something to do with high school murder clubs. Whichever makes the least sense.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

One of the board members was going to try and make her leave the school, but he got bored, read through the notebook, and was so overcome with pity and despair that he killed himself.

If that's the case, then why did he bring rope with him, or are you saying he left to get rope rather than just wait for her.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 1, 2013

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
So, uh, was this that disturbing scene you were talking about, Orenronen? I get the feeling that it wasn't, but still...kinda gruesome.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Do it to Julia!"

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Hinata's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Monobear.

Well poo poo, looks like someone is framing SHSL Memory for murder. Although, how would someone like her manage to hang a dude on her own?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I knew the light novel format would drive someone to suicide sooner or later :haw:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Looks like the light moments of this novel are over!

Hmmm I wonder if the school staff will also try to hide this. I also wonder if this has anything to do with the killing of the 14 students(and almost killing the 15th one), maybe this guy is the homeroom teacher of that class and the missing 16th student killed him too(If the 16th student is really the culprit).

And I guess the old school building is the building where DR1 takes place and it was closed after the acident to not let normal students get there.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

4th Asclepiadean posted:

So, uh, was this that disturbing scene you were talking about, Orenronen? I get the feeling that it wasn't, but still...kinda gruesome.

I think he was talking about what is going to happen in the game, not in the light novel.

• Locked thread