Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I died in the first dungeon of bof quarter

This game is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you can get the flying town and true ending no matter which architect you choose. As far as I know, the only steps you need to take for it are investigating the well in Township, sparing the old man in the fight with the three eyes, and speaking to Eichichi in that one town full of minotaur people.

The normal architect is probably still the best option optimisation-wise, though, since it gives you a way to make unlimited stat-up items and other high-end consumables.

Really? I think I read in a Nintendo-magazine once that you don't get the well if you don't take the normal architect. If that's wrong, it would be hilarious. But yeah, the cooking based alchemy is still better then the other two options. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tae posted:

I died in the first dungeon of bof quarter

This game is hard
I died I think getting out of the dungeon and having a fight in the village, so I restarted with my team xp/cash (I think that's how it worked?) and it didn't take me too long to get back there and do well. I don't know that you HAVE to do early-NG+ to beat the game but it can help and they certainly incentivize it with new cutscenes and such.

It's a challenging game but I thought it was a satisfying challenge.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I liked Dragon Quarter. But i stopped playing it when I got about 6 hours in, realized I was heading to another NG and decided I didn't like the game enough to play the last 6 hours all over again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I only had to go NG once, and I beat the game in the 2nd run, so it wasn't too big a deal for me. Although I also was aware of how the D-Counter can gently caress you so I was real careful with it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Unfortunately if you got your SNES-era JRPG information from Nintendo Power it was probably hilariously wrong. I'm still mad about the obvious factual errors in the official EarthBound guide.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Unfortunately if you got your SNES-era JRPG information from Nintendo Power it was probably hilariously wrong. I'm still mad about the obvious factual errors in the official EarthBound guide.

Nah, it was an old German Nintendo-magazine called Total. It's defunct for more then a decade now and that information in question was an off-handed remark in some otherwise pretty accurate article, so I just believed it without question. Everyone else was right, after all. :v:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Quest For Glory II posted:

I only had to go NG once, and I beat the game in the 2nd run, so it wasn't too big a deal for me. Although I also was aware of how the D-Counter can gently caress you so I was real careful with it.

There was a 4 boss gauntlet at about the 4 hour mark. I have no idea how I was supposed to win those fights without heavy D-Counter abuse. Actually my characters seemed pretty outclassed in the other boss fights too. It felt like every boss encounter I ran into required D-Counter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

There was a 4 boss gauntlet at about the 4 hour mark. I have no idea how I was supposed to win those fights without heavy D-Counter abuse. Actually my characters seemed pretty outclassed in the other boss fights too. It felt like every boss encounter I ran into required D-Counter.

Generally there are two things to keep in mind:

Your other characters have strong moves that can be abused.

Using the D-Counter is fine but you have to make sure you're using as little as possible. With buffing/debuffing and weakening the enemy you can ususually get by with a very small amount of D-usage rather than spamming it,.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I only really used the D-Counter in one major boss fight and otherwise it was just sort of a "well I don't wanna die I guess I'll use one move to save my rear end here" countermeasure

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Anyone here played Crimson Tears? It's a pretty simple PS2 roguelike beat 'em up on easy difficulty, and I'm wondering how much of an inventory nightmare it is on normal when your weapons might break and you can't carry a truckload of healing items.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well I got Nina after a couple more tries, and now the combat system is filling that unique tactical niche I wish was in more turn-based RPGs.

I'm assuming Ryu kicking things away until the AI stumbles into Nina's fire death trap is going to be a familiar strategy for a while?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Well I got Nina after a couple more tries, and now the combat system is filling that unique tactical niche I wish was in more turn-based RPGs.

I'm assuming Ryu kicking things away until the AI stumbles into Nina's fire death trap is going to be a familiar strategy for a while?

I don't think I ever stopped doing that, to be honest. Traps are incredibly useful in that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Welp never mind, they gave me another party member like 10 minutes later. Apparently that's my last character already? Ugh, that's a bummer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tae posted:

Apparently that's my last character already? Ugh, that's a bummer.
Ruy hits, Nina sets traps, the third character is good for pushing or pulling enemies into traps, and sometimes bat control. There's a lot you can get out of this team, especially with the added status effects of some magic and gun attacks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You know people talked about Suik V's framerate probs but we need to talk about Suik III's framerate probs because this framerate has some troubles for real. for REAL

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

You know people talked about Suik V's framerate probs but we need to talk about Suik III's framerate probs because this framerate has some troubles for real. for REAL

suikoden 5 has bad loading times and i hate it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
minute loading screen -- 10 seconds of combat -- minute loading screen -- gameplay

and why was every area so loving huge

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suik 3's framerate has gone back and forth between 60 and 12

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played Suikoden V on PCSX2 and I don't remember the loading times being too much of a problem there, so that might be one solution.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Just got around to finally starting The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
Any hot tips or things to look out for?

Only about 2 hours in, but so far the game is very charming and almost has a slice of life feel to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I played Suikoden V on PCSX2 and I don't remember the loading times being too much of a problem there, so that might be one solution.

I didn't have minute-long loads on my PS2 either, I think it must have depended on the age of your PS2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

Only about 2 hours in, but so far the game is very charming and almost has a slice of life feel to it.

if you are a super completionist you'll need to use a guide because there's a couple of hidden sidequests.

if you don't care much just check the board and do the sidequests as they appear

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ryu is kinda useless outside of a couple enemies that are basically bosses for his damage, but Lin+Nina trap keepaway is doing most of the work.

Except I didn't realize until later that every single turn ticks the D-Counter down, so gently caress. Guess Ryu will have to gung-ho because it's punishing me for playing safe.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Baldbeard posted:

Check your bracer guide or whatever it's called, there's a section that tells you exactly how to get every spell in the game which is pretty handy

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Tae posted:

Ryu is kinda useless outside of a couple enemies that are basically bosses for his damage, but Lin+Nina trap keepaway is doing most of the work.

Except I didn't realize until later that every single turn ticks the D-Counter down, so gently caress. Guess Ryu will have to gung-ho because it's punishing me for playing safe.

The turn by turn D-counter ticks are not going to make a significant difference. As long as you don't abuse dragon transformations/that out of battle dash thing, you'll be fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Another thing that's really annoying as hell is that if I want to heal or unload my inventory, I have to climb like 2-3 levels to go back to the store. When do I get a increase to the inventory, because this is really testing my patience.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Another thing that's really annoying as hell is that if I want to heal or unload my inventory, I have to climb like 2-3 levels to go back to the store. When do I get a increase to the inventory, because this is really testing my patience.

I can't remember whether or not you can increase it, but this probably means that if you can, it's in rare "add 1 slot" increments. If you aren't enjoying it, just put it aside. It isn't for everyone, and you figure out pretty early if you'll like it. If you're stressing this hard about D-Counter, you probably won't. You haven't even run into the bosses with damage shield, which regenerates to full every turn and gives them damage resistance to everything that isn't D-damage.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 24, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I really, really like the combat system but if I'm seriously stuck with only 3 pages of inventory, christ that's too much bullshit. It's a PS2 game, Capcom.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In this particular game it's notsomuch a relic as much as it's another limitation placed on the player.

Free yourself, of any packrat tendencies.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009
You get inventory expansions from the blue key chests that spawn in most floors. They also expand one page at a time, not a singe item. I had about 7 pages to work with when I beat the game last.

Glenn565 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 24, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I am trying Lost Odyssey, and I guess even Mistwalker was unable to escape the Xbox 360 enforced palette of brown and gray

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

In this particular game it's notsomuch a relic as much as it's another limitation placed on the player.

Free yourself, of any packrat tendencies.

DQ was intentionally designed with roguelike sensibilities. Part of that is the item limtiation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

DQ was intentionally designed with roguelike survival horror sensibilities. Part of that is the item limtiation.
Another part is a thing trying to hatch inside the main character.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is going to sound really dumb, but

I think I can really dig into Infinite Undiscovery, like really

I can't explain it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nothing dumb about liking games

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The White Dragon posted:

I can't remember whether or not you can increase it, but this probably means that if you can, it's in rare "add 1 slot" increments. If you aren't enjoying it, just put it aside. It isn't for everyone, and you figure out pretty early if you'll like it. If you're stressing this hard about D-Counter, you probably won't. You haven't even run into the bosses with damage shield, which regenerates to full every turn and gives them damage resistance to everything that isn't D-damage.

This is what I eventually landed on. I didn't play optimally because I went in blind and figured I'd be able to cope with the replays. But I wasn't. Partially because I didn't realize just how linear the game was and not much was going to change between playthroughs except for an additional cutscene or 3. Kind of disappointing given that I respect what they did with the game. But alas, there are other games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally there are two things to keep in mind:

Your other characters have strong moves that can be abused.

Using the D-Counter is fine but you have to make sure you're using as little as possible. With buffing/debuffing and weakening the enemy you can ususually get by with a very small amount of D-usage rather than spamming it,.

Actually, I'd say the most important thing to remember is that there is no way to heal except for healing items (no inns, or cutscene heals either), and you can use as many of them as you want on any given turn. Therefore, it's impossible to waste a healing item unless it's overheal, and there is no reason not to heal to almost-full every turn. This makes it pretty much impossible for anything to kill you, so take it slow and steady. It's a game that heavily rewards patience and not panicking: it's quite possible to win on a first playthrough with no D-Counter usage at all as long as you carry enough healing items.

...also, if you kill a grub with a fire spell it drops roasted grub, which heals more.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 24, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tae posted:

Don't bother making the long trip back ever. Just manage your inventory, keep just one stack of whatever the highest healing item you have, a stack of frest meat and then a stack of whatever highest damage trap you have. Leave the rest for whatever you find in the dungeon.

You're going to have to choose one item over another eventually but keeping on top of your inventory is necessary for at least the early parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't have minute-long loads on my PS2 either, I think it must have depended on the age of your PS2.

I remember timing how long it took for battles to load back when the first game out, and if I recall correctly it took about 20 seconds from the moment the screen fades and the battle loads until I could input a command on my PS2, and 13 seconds on my PSTwo (the slim redesign).

It definitely adds up, but it never really bothered me all that much. Might be hard to go back to, though.