Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about the Yuffie DLC: can I only complete the fort condor matches during that first time you are out in about in town? I think I am at grade 4 and I kind of want to do something else.

Note that the DLC has a chapter select system like the base game so you can go back to complete the quests after you're done with the story. Vague description of the structure: you'll go out for a mission and then come back, they make very clear in dialogue that you won't be coming back to sector 7, that's the last chance to do it

but also Grade 4 is the final tier anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asteroid Alert posted:

Chaos is a bit too hard, but I got the hang of it a little. Feels like the game is a bit too imbalanced at this point for a relative souls-noob like me to git gud.

To be honest it's pretty basic Nioh so I don't expect it to change too much. Chaos? goes from terrifying to a chump once you get his pattern down since he has huge windups on the vast majority of his attacks so you can Soul Shield anything but his fire grab with minimal trouble. One thing a lot of people seem to miss is that swapping gear sets swaps your Break Bar, and that Lightbringer (as well as the dodge Command from Dragoon) instantly refills it. You just need to keep refilling/Lightbringing when you get the chance and you can wear his stamina down pretty quick.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
If they really lean into the elemental magic like they do with the grass and putting out the flame sword https://clips.twitch.tv/AgitatedEasyTitanEleGiggle-QjvChOaH0COEIz5X I'm going to be really excited about this game.

Did Nioh 2 do this kind of thing?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^You can also melt his frost sword with fire! It also temporarily stuns him, where you'll deal guaranteed crits. For both, you need to charge up to at least fira/watera. There's other minor stuff like that too, I think - aero will knock bats out of the air, and fire will cause bombs to grow.

ImpAtom posted:

With Black Mage the gimmick seems to be less casting spells and more that you have access to a ton of elemental variety in your combos and a lot more ways to restore MP and have a heavier focus on staggering damage than HP damage. The charging spells look to be something you set up when you want to fuckin' clear a room and they do that extremely well.

I assume White Mage is probably going to have some kind of self-healing abilities and possibly buffs/team buffs/the ability to res party members without wasting an Estus Flask.

It's funny, I got a really strong club by chance for Mage, and so it winds up dealing just as much (if not more) melee damage than my warrior or dragoon :v: So it kind of just...does everything. Fast attacks, good defense, good ranged, I have really no reason to switch until I find something better for one of the other two.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 17, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CodfishCartographer posted:

^^and fire will cause bombs to grow.

Actually, the easiest way to kill bombs is to absorb their fire attack and use it to shoot them three times, causing them to instantly explode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

Actually, the easiest way to kill bombs is to absorb their fire attack and use it to shoot them three times, causing them to instantly explode.

Yeah, I saw someone complaining about how hard Bombs are but the trick is that they throw 3 charges of Fire at you and turns out 3 charges of Fire makes them kill themselves!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Man, I forgot about the 4 character limit spells for the original release of FF1.

I like LIT, SLEP, BRAK, FAST, and QAKE.

Hellioning posted:

No, that has a map and a list of abilities the boss might use. It's significantly more useful (though the fact it just assumes you have a white wizard...)
If all spells are literally Tetragrammaton, this implies all spell casting classes are in fact WHM.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Katamari Democracy posted:

Just purchased Final Fantasy XV for PC. After playing the demo I am freakin hooked on the gameplay, but it is a biiiit buggy on PC. Anyone who played this on PC have good reviews of it?

I had to change the graphics settings from what GeForce Experience suggested (in particular, turning "shadows" from highest to high) because the opening broken down car scene in particular was broken as hell if I didn't (it went down to about 3fps)

I looked it up and apparently that's because it disables some of the car physics for the part where you have to push it, but that somehow causes it to bounce rapidly up and down on the road surface in a way that you can't see but yet maxes out the GPU accelerated physics engine, and steals all your GPU cycles to calculate meaningless physics instead of rendering the scene. rather a shame that that happens on about the second cutscene in the game

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1405410249041797122

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it's pretty basic Nioh so I don't expect it to change too much. Chaos? goes from terrifying to a chump once you get his pattern down since he has huge windups on the vast majority of his attacks so you can Soul Shield anything but his fire grab with minimal trouble. One thing a lot of people seem to miss is that swapping gear sets swaps your Break Bar, and that Lightbringer (as well as the dodge Command from Dragoon) instantly refills it. You just need to keep refilling/Lightbringing when you get the chance and you can wear his stamina down pretty quick.

I've never played Nioh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Holy poo poo, other party members! Please make at least a few of them ladies!

And please let me play as one instead of 'Jack, Who Lists MMA Pay-Per-Views As A Budget Item'!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

And please let me play as one instead of 'Jack, Who Lists MMA Pay-Per-Views As A Budget Item'!
if you want me to dislike him stop making him sound rad

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Good guy Jack actually paying for his PPV content to support the sport he loves instead of pirating a stream from some Russian website.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That's what makes him a Warrior of Light.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

financially supporting most MMA organizations would actually mean jack is the bad guy, so its gonna be a sick twist when you find out that to destroy Chaos, he must destroy himself

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finally some good Final Fantasy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For funsies I killed Chaos again solely with Black Mage.

The job has risen in my estimation now. After spending some time doing combat casting within the flow of fighting rather than just switching for an interrupt, it feels better, and as long as I take a second to consciously plant my feet (ley lines...) a lot of my errors have gone away. (Mainly to cast Aero which juggles the enemies in a very satisfying way -- since Fire/Ice/Lightning get woven into your combo with upgrades)

In boss fights, the mace may have a shorter range but it is a lot faster and causes a lot more break damage (I appreciated my AI partners a lot more in these fights compared to when I was dragooning).

Where it really shines is in rooms though, as mentioned earlier a single alpha strike Firaga can clear a whole room out on its own, or if not, you can usually start chain-executing enemies and start raking in the MP while everything is stunned lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Endorph posted:

if you want me to dislike him stop making him sound rad

I got bored of calling him Anger Jack, so I've decided that every time I talk about him I'm going to use a different, absurdly specific description of the kind of aggressively normal guy he looks like.

It's just more fun to call him 'Jack, Who Dressed As Paul Walker's Fast & Furious Character For Multiple Halloweens'.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Mobius vibes increasing. Goddamn.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

taichara posted:

Mobius vibes increasing. Goddamn.

Chaos? hasn't talked about how untrustworthy women are just yet so it remains to be seen if we're going full Mobius.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

There's Greatswords, Hammers/Blunt weapons, Spears, Fists(companion uses them), and Daggers(ditto) in the demo. If they're basing it on FF1 what would the other 3 weapons be? Staves, Axes, and Nunchuks I guess?

For classes we'd have Monk, White mage, Red mage, and Thief/Ninja at least but I assume there'll be some more since the demo already has classes that weren't in FF1.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 17, 2021

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

RatHat posted:

There's Greatswords, Hammers/Blunt weapons, Spears, Fists(companion uses them), and Daggers(ditto) in the demo. If they're basing it on FF1 what would the other 3 weapons be? Staves, Axes, and Nunchuks I guess?

For classes we'd have Monk, White mage, Red mage, and Thief/Ninja at least but I assume there'll be some more since the demo already has classes that weren't in FF1.

Next tweet:

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1405412636733280257

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well then. By "Melee" I assume they mean fists.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really hope Melee means I can suplex Chaos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Holy poo poo, other party members! Please make at least a few of them ladies!

Nioh let you change your appearance to look like other NPCs so maybe that will be a feature in this game too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Augus posted:

Nioh let you change your appearance to look like other NPCs so maybe that will be a feature in this game too

It wouldn't be a world away from what FFXV did on PC, and let you replace Noctis' model with a creatable avatar from the multiplayer DLC. Unfortunately that feature was broken and crashed the game if you used it in some areas, but I assume Nioh's worked.

Although the reason the FFXV feature largely flew fine as far as feeling right was because Noctis' voice was fairly androgynous, you could buy that voice and those lines coming from a woman to some extent. I can't say the same for Jack, Whose Only Books Are About War.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Unlucky7 posted:

Jack would beat the poo poo out of them, then heal them, so he can BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF THEM SOME MORE :unsmigghh:
Jack? More like Joke, if he thinks he can kill Chaos without four of them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack and his mighty i-frames can defeat anything

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm going to be real sad if Final Fantasy Chaos doesn't include Samurai as a job.

Hellioning posted:

Man, I forgot about the 4 character limit spells for the original release of FF1.

I like LIT, SLEP, BRAK, FAST, and QAKE.

One of the tedious things with FF1 speedruns and randomizers is people making cake jokes for Q(u)AKE.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to be real sad if Final Fantasy Chaos doesn't include Samurai as a job.

The jobs have doubled up on weapons already (both WAR and DRG use spears), I am gonna guess that NIN use dagger or dual swords and SAM will be dual katana.

If they built a game on Nioh without samurai it really would seem a waste lol

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Ngl I would totally be an rear end in a top hat and ask Jack why we're doing this every time he calms down a little.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He never calms down, so you'd never have the opportunity.

Jack has three major character traits:

A) Anti-Chaos
B) See A
C) See B

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I saw this post and had a chuckle.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Always trust people who angrily claim to be an expert.

Especially about cultures they don't come from.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quite the butterfly effect. Making a game you're developing available on more platforms directly causes the alienation of an entire consumer region.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FunkyFjord posted:

Always trust people who angrily claim to be an expert.

Especially about cultures they don't come from.

Doubly so if it's a goon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I saw this post and had a chuckle.

I miss this era of the internet

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

multijoe posted:

I miss this era of the internet

:same:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Can we all agree that if we finally reach Chaos and that muthafugga isn't voiced by Keith David there will be riots in the streets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grimthwacker posted:

Can we all agree that if we finally reach Chaos and that muthafugga isn't voiced by Keith David there will be riots in the streets?

Now there’s a man who knows how to kill Chaos!