Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zaodai posted:

I would contend at that point you haven't actually played Diablo 2, but to each their own. If you just play through normal and then quit, you haven't actually played through the game because you could beat normal blindfolded.

I have a friend who got Diablo 3 - pre-expansion - played through the campaign once, and left it at that. And she liked it.

I mean that baffles the poo poo ouf of me, but I accept that some people's brains are wired hella differently. The whole ARPG loot treadmill thing doesn't mesh with everyone's sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddamn, I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end Diablo is if you've been neglecting your resistances, even on Normal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Lightning enchanted, multiple projectiles

:gonk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nordick posted:

I have a friend who got Diablo 3 - pre-expansion - played through the campaign once, and left it at that. And she liked it.

I mean that baffles the poo poo ouf of me, but I accept that some people's brains are wired hella differently. The whole ARPG loot treadmill thing doesn't mesh with everyone's sensibilities.

Diablo 3 isn't designed the same way as two, so I guess it somewhat makes sense. Less so than just not playing, but playing on Normal (or Hard/Expert, anything under Torment) for one story mode playthrough to get to level cap is a more succinct experience than playing through just normal in D2, as D2 really was designed with the idea that one playthrough was all three difficulties, and you only "really" defeated the bosses in Hell difficulty.

But yeah, resistances, especially in pre LoD expansion are super important. It made Rakkanishu super deadly because he'd spawn Multi-Shot Lightning Enchanted, and that had no cap on it, so every hit would generate like 700 projectiles. If you were melee you'd get one shot because they'd all drop on top of you.

They helped fix some of that stuff in LOD (and later patches), like making Lord De Seiss not spawn with Oblivion Knights as his bodyguards so you wouldn't eat 12 Iron Maiden curses immediately as he spawned. Oh, and making Iron Maiden do different damage to players than mobs so it wouldn't make you suddenly eat %15,000 reflected damage overkilling yourself by a factor of like 100.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
deathstate advice from somebody who's completed runs with most of the characters:

desecration makes the game harder by evolving the attack patterns of the monsters. feel free to put it off until you feel you've got sufficiently gud

levels have varying lengths, level exit is at the top somewhere. the timer is more lenient than it used to be but you can still lose runs to it if you get cocky/try to clear out the entire level. take every opportunity you find by all means but your goal is always to find the exit.

however, advancing slowly through the level is often actually a good idea. so is dodging the minimum amount required. i actually win more runs when stoned out of my mind because i turn into a massive coward and inch forward instead of plunging into a vortex of bullets

lasers are the best thing. front-loaded damage is also good. healing is good if you can find it

the (usual?) final boss has an attack that does an outrageous ten damage, unlike anything else in the game. you're better off running into bullets than standing still and getting tagged by it. you'll probably know it when you see it.

there is a "dark realm" that you can unlock with an interaction you're unlikely to stumble upon. once you've unlocked it, portals start showing up regularly so you don't have to do the weird bullshit again. it's basically a worst-of collection of monsters from the rest of the game using an existing level's visual design and music (why? i dont know). to unlock it, get up real close to one of those gibbering mass-looking monsters in the maze of ix that fucks with your screen and wait. the hard part is avoiding killing them long enough for it to go off. i don't even know if there's anything that makes it worth it the first or any other time, though

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

Out of curiosity, did you feel like you gained anything from playing just normal?

Personally, one play through with a character was quite enough for me in Diablo 2. It takes a good 20+ hours to clear the storyline, and by that point you have all your powers and have pretty much seen most of what the game has to offer. You can continue through hell/nightmare, but you're still using the same character, using the same skills with occasional new things from the 1 piece of loot in 1000 that's actually worth equipping. I get that some people like that, but to me it just feels like deathly dull slog, I'd much rather replay normal with a different character who offers different gameplay.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Personally, one play through with a character was quite enough for me in Diablo 2. It takes a good 20+ hours to clear the storyline, and by that point you have all your powers and have pretty much seen most of what the game has to offer. You can continue through hell/nightmare, but you're still using the same character, using the same skills with occasional new things from the 1 piece of loot in 1000 that's actually worth equipping. I get that some people like that, but to me it just feels like deathly dull slog, I'd much rather replay normal with a different character who offers different gameplay.

Not to derail much further, but there are some specs that don't come into their own until the higher level ranges (65+) or until certain key items are equipped. A Poison Necromancer for example used to be close to worthless (before reskilling was patched in) until he had all essential skills at level 72. And playing him without and later with a well-rolled and incredibly rare Death's Web weapon is like playing two different characters. That kind of nuance can be had with all classes and many different specializations. The style of play varies quite a bit as well. Watching someone speedfarm with a Frozen Orb Sorceress can give people headaches, much like somebody with 180APM+ play Starcraft.

I think the modern day equivalent is how people engage games like Spelunky or Dark Souls. Some people are content do defeat the official end boss once, others want to beat it with a guitar controller, without being hit, in under 10 minutes or carrying an eggplant all the way through hell. Come to think of it, Diablo 2 was probably one of the first games that allowed this kind of "make your own fun" long before MMORPGs became really popular or anybody even anticipated Minecraft. Going back as far as the unbalanced crap shoot that was Diablo 1 PVP or playing a "no town" or hardcore character.

On topic, I've just passed the halfway point in Nier. Any hints which weapons to upgrade for the rest of the game and endings B through D? Also, are there any essential word or materials drops I can miss?

Luggage fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 31, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Zaodai posted:

Diablo 3 isn't designed the same way as two, so I guess it somewhat makes sense. Less so than just not playing, but playing on Normal (or Hard/Expert, anything under Torment) for one story mode playthrough to get to level cap is a more succinct experience than playing through just normal in D2, as D2 really was designed with the idea that one playthrough was all three difficulties, and you only "really" defeated the bosses in Hell difficulty.

...what? Diablo 3 is WAY more based on repeated playthroughs than 2 was. In one go through on normal of each, assuming you haven't played it before and aren't following a guide (we're talking launch 3, not what it has become), you end up about level 30. In 2, that lets you begin to access the highest level abilities. In 3, you have half the skill runes.

Luggage posted:

On topic, I've just passed the halfway point in Nier. Any hints which weapons to upgrade for the rest of the game and endings B through D? Also, are there any essential word or materials drops I can miss?

Pretty sure if you're to the halfway point, you've already either gotten or missed the only missables.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 31, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Unreal_One posted:

...what? Diablo 3 is WAY more based on repeated playthroughs than 2 was. In one go through on normal of each, assuming you haven't played it before and aren't following a guide (we're talking launch 3, not what it has become), you end up about level 30. In 2, that lets you begin to access the highest level abilities. In 3, you have half the skill runes.

Just in case you missed it, they changed how it works in D3. You can now choose the difficulty in D3 from the very beginning, so you don't have to beat normal to get to nightmare. It's very possible to reach level 70 before completing one playthrough of the story.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Yeah, it's a much better game now. That's why I put in the parenthetical; the person Zaodai was responding to was talking Diablo 3 as it was released, not post Loot 2.0.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ahhh, gotcha.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i got d3 on ps4 and did a play through with a friend recently and we kept the difficulty at the max we could on a first play (expert? master?) and were 70 by act 4 basically.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Unreal_One posted:

If you're going for level cap and assuming "see what muh buttons do" is what the hypothetical person who hates ARPGs but plays them anyway is going for, I guess? The hangup in my head is that D2 sets out from a story standpoint sort of like Ghost and Goblins situation where you actually have to do the loops to have "really" beaten the bosses in universe, where as D3 doesn't seem to suggest that beating them on Torment 6 (on release) was any more of a real-in-universe kill than beating them on Normal. The game was certainly designed to take multiple playthroughs to reach level cap if you weren't bumping difficulty and/or working in a group, and the higher levels were necessary to see what all the runes were, but then in D2 for that style of gameplay you are hitting a moving target of when your class is really done because half your buttons that would be good for actual content that is challenging don't seem that good on normal or at low skill caps. You also don't see the better gear or the neat runewords that change how classes play, or Ubers, etc.

That's sort of what makes it weird overall. That hypothetical target for D2/D3 advice is intrinsically looking for information about a game they know they'll hate and want to stop playing as soon as possible. To that person, I go back to recommending they look up the cutscenes on youtube or watch a lets play, not half-heartedly play the game one time and throw it in the trash. They should just play games they actually want to play.

But this is a long rear end derail. My apologies.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

there is a "dark realm" that you can unlock with an interaction you're unlikely to stumble upon. once you've unlocked it, portals start showing up regularly so you don't have to do the weird bullshit again. it's basically a worst-of collection of monsters from the rest of the game using an existing level's visual design and music (why? i dont know). to unlock it, get up real close to one of those gibbering mass-looking monsters in the maze of ix that fucks with your screen and wait. the hard part is avoiding killing them long enough for it to go off. i don't even know if there's anything that makes it worth it the first or any other time, though
To make the spoiler bit a little easier: you can stop attacking by holding RT.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Luggage posted:

Phoenix Spear is your go-to weapon for endgame. There are no missables that are word/mat only; just side quests.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anything for Soul Sacrifice Delta?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anything for Just Cause 3 now it's a PS+ game? Mech DLC worth it, anything to make map hunting less tedious, etc?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Just Cause 3 now it's a PS+ game? Mech DLC worth it, anything to make map hunting less tedious, etc?

Mech DLC is eh, more of the same but you ride a mech sometimes. Rocket wingsuit from the sky fortress DLC is great for getting around, and lightning gun from bavarium sea heist DLC makes clearing camps trivial, really helps cut down the tedium of "liberate region" objectives

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 1, 2017

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

poptart_fairy posted:

Jetpack wingsuit takes already fun traversal and makes you do flips and poo poo while firing missiles. You also can traverse the map pretty fast with it, making collections a lot easier. For wingsuit races, you don't get the jetpack unless it's a race from the air portion of the expansion, so you'll still need to practice near the ground gliding.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys. Having fun with the game - connection issues aside - and having more toys in it earlier would be nice.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Any tips for Voidsphere Tactics?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

how in the gently caress do I even begin playing Conquest of Elysium 4.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

how in the gently caress do I even begin playing Conquest of Elysium 4.

There's probably a button like "New Game" or "Start Game" or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There was but I walked into a farmer and an autobattle started and he murdered me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Braking Gnus posted:

Any tips for Voidsphere Tactics?

Having a varied team is important because sometimes you'll want specific skills to traverse the environment. As long as one guy can get somewhere everyone else will warp to them, but if you find a three square gap and can't jump it or teleport then you're out of luck. Fortunately the required areas generally just require low-level skills and spells but there's a fair number of cool areas and secrets to find, so don't be afraid to experiment and sequence break.

Also, since you get stat points to allocate based on experience in a class, sometimes it's worth your time to return to an older class and level a little bit to unlock that next stat bonus before switching back. Stats apply regardless of your main and subclass so feel free to multiclass and experiment!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age

General
-L3 brings up a map on your HUD.
-L1 lets you fast forward. You can toggle between 2x and 4x speeds in the options menu.
-You must now pick a job for each character, and later you will have access to a second job.
-Monks & Knights are well rounded; Bushi, Shikari, Forbreaker & Uhlan are melee damage dealers; Archer, Machinist, & Black Mage are range damage dealers; White Mage, Red Mage & Time Mage are support.
-As long as a character is not taking an action or being the target of one, you can hot swap them out in combat.
-Selling loot unlocks items you can purchase under the 'Bazaar' tab. There is an invisible counter that will reset back to 0 once you sell the appropriate amount of items needed to unlock your reward.
-Damage dealt is now uncapped.
-Endgame spells and techniques are no longer purchased but must be found in chests at fixed locations. Many of these chests have a 20%+ spawn rate such as Hastega and Wither.
-Some gates cannot be unlocked until the player completes a side quest such as healing the sick prisoner at Dalmasca Estersands.
-There are 7 Monographs in the game purchased in the bazaar. Monographs allow for rare loot to drop from different enemy types. Examine the hunt board 40 times and talk to these shopkeepers until it unlocks: Weapon, Armor, Magick

Gear
-Guns deal fixed damage and do not scale with stats. This is balanced by damage dealt being unblockable, has a piercing effect, bonus damage from elemental bullets/gear.
-Spears and Poles can hit flying enemies.
-Axes and Hammers have a large damage range.
-Katanas get bonus damage from your magic stat.
-Black Robes deal bonus damage with Dark spells/weapons.
-White Robes deal bonus damage with Holy spells/weapons.
-Burning Bow deals bonus damage with Fire spells/arrows.
-Ribbons have bonus passive Regen & Libra traits.
-The rare hunt club at Phon Coast now offers better rewards including a second Genji Glove.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ff12 zodiac age:

you can toggle between 2x and 4x speed on the fly by holding l1 and pressing dpad left or right
you can sell all of an item with triangle+up (i think it is)

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Dishonored 2? The wiki is scarce. I just started, decided to choose Emily (only because she's different to Corvo in Dishonored 1) and got through to the safe house at the start. I think I want to do a stealthy but lethal playthrough first. Did I make the right choice picking Emily?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Dishonored 2? The wiki is scarce. I just started, decided to choose Emily (only because she's different to Corvo in Dishonored 1) and got through to the safe house at the start. I think I want to do a stealthy but lethal playthrough first. Did I make the right choice picking Emily?

Emily's got a super fun powerset. You really can't go wrong with either character, they're both good.

Emily definitely makes more sense as the protagonist storywise a well.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
conquest of elysium:

unmodded, some factions are simply mechanically inferior to others

they also have very different mechanics

the most balanced map type is dawn of a new empire. probably the best first-time faction is voice of el, they have a shitload of powerful freespawn that often rampages the map on its own

commanders are often a precious resource. try to have multiple per army, for redundancy and to split up temporarily for more reach

you don't have to take every site in your territory. if it looks like it could pose a serious threat to the army you have, you can always leave it alone. if it's valuable, you can come back later

units can be stealthy or invisible. act accordingly and avoid exposed commanders and suspiciously empty-looking sites.

there are several planes of existence, but it's rarely worth trying to conquer any outside the starting plane.

the ai is not smart enough to shut down a gate to hell or the void. prioritize finding and closing them when they occur

its been described as a roguelike strategy game and thats not unfitting. sometimes unavoidable hosed up poo poo happens to you.

look up how to turn on autosave, and never turn it off

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

While I actually prefer Corvo's powerset, Emily's stuff is fun and new and the story makes more sense with her at the helm.
Once you finish do a runthrough with 'maximum murder' Corvo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More Nier: Automata

- You CAN lock-on to enemies in the Hacking minigame, despite there being no marker for it. It's really helpful so you can focus on dodging.
- To control an enemy through Hacking they need to have not noticed you yet. Note that when controlling a machine other machines won't be hostile until you attack so they're useful for sneaking.
- There are some chests/items that require either a really far jump, or for you to control a flying machine. Hint: You get more distance with flying by tapping the jump button instead of holding it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 6, 2017

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The original Star Ocean (SNES)

Should I bother with crafting and to what extent?

Do i just invest skillpoints and craft with things found, or do I spend my money on ingredients from shops to craft

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vadun posted:

Should I bother with crafting and to what extent?
no

quote:

Do i just invest skillpoints and craft with things found, or do I spend my money on ingredients from shops to craft
star ocean 1 (especially the snes version) is kinda edit: complete trash. invest skill points as you can, but crafting is underdocumented and totally unrewarding--the most mileage you'll generally get out of it is making every character's favorite dish, which is a full heal that you can only use from the field menu.

buy armor, never craft; if there's anything worth crafting in SO1, it'll be made out of endgame materials; it's a thoroughly linear game with next to no secrets, so there's really no way to even get good metals for armorsmithing etc until after they're outdated. crafting is worse than an afterthought: it's completely random, somewhat deep but also next to useless, and completely opaque.

if you're coming in from SO2 expecting more fun, robust ways to break the game... go back to SO2.

if you actually want to break the game: there's an arena maybe a third of the way through the game. if you clear every match, you fight a werewolf boy who joins your party if you can beat him. his weapon has the longest melee reach in the entire game (his special attacks often hit more than half the screen width away from him) and he has a cheap, spammable special attack that can inflict instant death and it bypasses resistance checks and works on every single enemy in the game, including bosses. he should never not be in your party.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 6, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Vidaeus posted:

I also have a question: I was going through the demo as Emily and I was filled with a righteous anger that led me to murder all those loving traitors like I was playing CoD. I remember the first game started to change the world based on how "messy" you got; is there a similar penalty here? That ties into some of the targets to, like Ramsey at the beginning? If I let him live, do I get a more satisfying "non-lethal" end for him later, like the first game offered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Doing some much-needed clean-up of the Mass Effect pages.

Edit: And done!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I also have a question: I was going through the demo as Emily and I was filled with a righteous anger that led me to murder all those loving traitors like I was playing CoD. I remember the first game started to change the world based on how "messy" you got; is there a similar penalty here? That ties into some of the targets to, like Ramsey at the beginning? If I let him live, do I get a more satisfying "non-lethal" end for him later, like the first game offered.

Yes, the chaos meter returns in Dishonored 2. But like in the original Dishonored, the chaos meter is quite forgiving. Unless you spend the majority of the game killing, you'll still be in low chaos.

Regarding Ramsey: you'll see him again if you trap him

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Caufman posted:

Yes, the chaos meter returns in Dishonored 2. But like in the original Dishonored, the chaos meter is quite forgiving. Unless you spend the majority of the game killing, you'll still be in low chaos.

Regarding Ramsey: you'll see him again if you trap him

Cool. If I get the game I think a "Merciful Emily" and a "Vengeful Corvo" playthroughs will be in order.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Oh, everyone's doing that. No one's doing troubled, murderous Emily and penitent, changed Corvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It also helps that their powersets are more suited for stealth and carnage respectively.

But there's always NG+ where you can use the other's abilities anyways.