Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Looks like two Draconis Suns `Mechs may win the contest.

:ohdear:

Looks like we need to rally around the condiment shaker, lest the CC be left with nothing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're both far more prone to violently oppressing their own populace than any other successor state.

whaaaat okay you have to defend that. More prone to oppression than the Combine? More prone to oppression than the Confederation? More serf-stomping than the Federated Suns?

You probably actually know more about the canon than me so I'm not gonna just assume I'm right which I frankly do with most discussions, but can you at least back this statement up with some compare/contrasts?

The coercion involved in running the LC and FWL is qualitatively different than the coercion involved in running the DC or CC.

As I see it the Combine and the Confederation are both fairly totalitarian police states that use force to dictate where their citizens live, where they work, what resources they can access etc. The LC and FWL use force to keep member planets from leaving. Those two kinds of state interference are at really different levels. The common person tends to not care too much about which elite group is running the show when all is said and done, so when Duke Whatever decides to secede from the LC or FWL and gets his noble poo poo pushed in, it doesn't affect the average person that much. This is in comparison to a totalitarian police state where the state (really interstellar super-state) tells you where you can live and what your job is etc. That is far more oppressive than coercing your ruling elites into not leaving the union.

Coercion is always involved in running a state. One of the fundamental underpinnings of the idea of statehood in Western political philosophy is that coercion is specifically and intentionally reserved for state use only. I don't know if you've read Rousseau, but he lays out the Enlightenment case for state coercion pretty clearly. Whether you agree with it or not, the point is that in the tradition of Enlightenment democracies the LC and FWL have every right to wage war against rebellious lords.

If you're going to call the LC and FWL repressive for not allowing rebellious elites to simply abscond with the state's legally recognized territories and citizens, you're pretty much a big-A Anarchist in the modern political spectrum.

Do you have some other dirt on them that I'm not aware of?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 15, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
None of the Great Houses care about the people that make them strong. That is why you need to give yourselves to the teachings of Blessed Blake and Conrad Toyama. It is only through the Word that salvation shall be obtained. Blake's Will be done.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Comstar could be so cool if they were a bunch of cooler and not-assholish dudes. :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nations aren't like individual people. Depending on the governing elite, the culture, and the political situation their history can be replete with good and bad acts, just like real nations. The Steiners trying to avoid the succession wars is good, leaving Rim World colonies to die and annexing what they want is less so. The Free World League's comparative multiculturalism is good, but the effectively neoliberal economic policies (stay in/keep your market open or we crush you) is bad, as is their civil-war prone political environment.

It's wrong to dismiss them all as "a bunch of dicks" or "your favourite sports team" just because they're complicated. The differences between America and China, or Western and Eastern Europe, or Australia and Japan run deeper than "what flavour of poo poo do you arbitrarily prefer based on style?" Well, okay, it's not really wrong because this is all a game and nobody's really hurt by having fun, but it's not really a healthy attitude if we're discussing actual political issues.

The Lyrans and the Free World League have an advantage in that although they have bad cultural traits and the tools of oppression, these are less ingrained into society than in the other three states. A good Archon or Captain-General can rule peacefully (well, succession war aside) and fairly without using these tools or allowing these poor cultural traits to find oppressive expression.

A good Coordinator, however (as Theodore is often presented as being) has to struggle against their own culture to maintain power and not inflict suffering, a good Chairman has an entirely automated apparatus of state terror to maintain least they weaken their own position in an atmosphere of political miasma, and a good Prince has precious little control over their underlings and how they rule while still effectively being accountable for their actions.

All this is assuming 'good x', but it might be fairer to say 'normal x', and I suspect the above will still hold.

Edit: I suspect the general lack of centralized authority in the Successor States was an intentional move, so that if a character meant to be portrayed as evil is in power they can force everyone in their state to go along with them, while if someone meant to be sympathetic is in power then any bad things their nation does can be attributed to some powerful underling they couldn't keep control of.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2012

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Scurrilous posted:

Political Vote Results 10 - "Clans’ chance in tactics" -> change.

I'm a little disappointed the FRR simply never had a chance to exist in the PTN alternate history due to the early/rapid clan invasion.

Did you miss the part about Tor Miraborg agreeing to be the Precentor Martial in exchange for Comstar support of a FRR? There's still hope!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

whaaaat okay you have to defend that.

If you're going to call the LC and FWL repressive for not allowing rebellious elites to simply abscond with the state's legally recognized territories and citizens, you're pretty much a big-A Anarchist in the modern political spectrum.

It's not a matter of rebellion-stomping, and it's not as constant as the CC or the Draconis Combine to be certain; but it is a matter of scale. When the Lyrans and Free Worlders do crack down, they crack down hard and indiscriminately. They're also both very prone to turning a blind eye towards anyone with money or influence (until that person launches a full scale rebellion).

But yes, I suppose 'worse' is probably a misnomer. I consider them worse because the bouts of 'crush our own population' happen so rarely that the populace never really has any idea how to come through safely. At least with the Draconis Combine, they know well enough to stay inside when the big street parties happen just in case the Friendly Persuaders decide it's a riot and start opening up with their riot shotguns.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

[I decided to go a more spokesmany route with this ad. I figured maybe I'd incorporate some stuff from the actual game this time.]

In the lowest floor of Solaris' factory, a Marauder collapses under the fire of a Guillotine, smoke billowing from the cockpit. With no doubt as to the fate of the pilot, the massive Heavy seems to pause a moment, as if it wanted to take a breath.

That was its last mistake, because it has to deal with a Centurion. The bold Medium Mech, even as it shows its savvy by moving in to cover to avoid return fire, spits a salvo of missiles and laser fire that relentlessly tear into the larger Mech, showing no fear. The flight of missiles claw at the Guillotine's armor until its SRM magazine is finally exposed.

All the competitors on the field stare in awe at this potent, audacious Mech, even as its larger opponent is destroyed from the inside out by the detonation of the SRMs. But that's not enough for him... the Centurion has work to do!

-----------------

I'm Antonin Césaire, and I'm the new spokesman for Corean Enterprises' Centurion. I've gotten a lot of offers from companies asking me to use their Mech since I pulled a huge upset in the Factory, but for me, there's only one choice: the CN9-AL Centurion.

A lot of people underestimated me and Legionnaire, and at first glance, it's not hard to see why. I was going up against Mechs that were up to 25 tons heavier than me. I might not have been able to pull it off in a standard Centurion, but the -AL, complete with new equipment straight from the brightest minds in the Capellan Confederation, made it possible.

First, the replacement of the standard Luxor-D Autocannon with a Firmir MaxiLease Large Laser, while sacrificing some firepower, reduced my ammunition dependency by replacing that big gun with an energy weapon. Given the way my opponent in the Guillotine went down, we can all see that's a bonus.

But that's not to say I don't appreciate a good ammo-fed weapon. The Luxor 3R LRM-10 was a showcase for Capellan ingenuity. Most people would think that a weapon with a minimum range of 180 meters would be a handicap in the close quarters of a Factory battle. But advanced Listen-Kill missiles make our missile launchers more accurate than ever, and before the match, the stable chose to hot-load these deadly missiles to ensure all missiles were armed regardless of the distance. As my opponents can tell you, that decision was highly effective.

Finally, the weight savings from the changeover between AC and laser provided additional dividends beyond just eliminating a volatile ammo bin. The Centurion-AL mounts an additional 2.5 tons of armor, bringing the total to 11 tons of StarGuard III protection, as well as six additional heat sinks to help dissipate the additional heat of the large laser.

Don't let what people say about it being a mid-range trooper design fool you; the Centurion is a machine that stands with the best of them. And if anyone ever makes that mistake a gain, Cesaire will be there to teach them. As many times as it takes.

So in conclusion... here is a painting of me right after I messed someone up.

Corean Enterprises: We made the Centurion, so the guys who made the Guillotine and Catapult should step the gently caress back.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 15, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Defiance Industries posted:

Corean Enterprises: We made the Centurion, so the guys who made the Guillotine and Catapult should step the gently caress back.
I'll take twelve!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a matter of rebellion-stomping, and it's not as constant as the CC or the Draconis Combine to be certain; but it is a matter of scale. When the Lyrans and Free Worlders do crack down, they crack down hard and indiscriminately. They're also both very prone to turning a blind eye towards anyone with money or influence (until that person launches a full scale rebellion).

But yes, I suppose 'worse' is probably a misnomer. I consider them worse because the bouts of 'crush our own population' happen so rarely that the populace never really has any idea how to come through safely. At least with the Draconis Combine, they know well enough to stay inside when the big street parties happen just in case the Friendly Persuaders decide it's a riot and start opening up with their riot shotguns.

Every last nation and clan is based on institutions that favor the wealthy elite at the expense of the broad majority. That's why the peasants don't really care who controls the planet, except as far as what they end up losing in the war. Without any representation in politics, they have little to lose in exchanging masters.

There are no good guys, only different cycles of oppression.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There are no good guys, only different cycles of oppression.

This still isn't a very informative assertion. It's not hard to assert that democracy does no better job of representing the "will of the people" when the system is nigh-inevitably abused, and various forms of communal living and anarchy have their own drawbacks and sins. Not to mention you can have Republics with bad cultural values using their strength to enforce suffering upon kingdoms with benevolent rulers and and a healthier society.

I'm not the sort of person who ranks a benevolent dictatorship as the best form of government (always a dumb idea, where human beings are concerned), but you have to get into the details and grit of a nation to judge it. Democracy is good, but all democracies aren't automatically better than all non-democracies unless you start getting into a sort of 'No true Scotsmen' situation.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

:spergin: Actually, it's six additional heat sinks, not four. In seriousness, though, nice write-up!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

:spergin: Actually, it's six additional heat sinks, not four. In seriousness, though, nice write-up!

So it is. I always thought the stock CN9 had twelve for some reason? Maybe I had it mixed up with a similar design.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

I'm not the sort of person who ranks a benevolent dictatorship as the best form of government (always a dumb idea, where human beings are concerned)

I concur. I'm not an anarchist either, and of the great houses it'd probably be best to live in the FWL or Lyran Commonwealth; but that doesn't mean doing so is risk-free and that doesn't mean that they are 'good' governments.

There's give and take with any government, but I'd probably personally prefer to live in one of the periphery states.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's give and take with any government, but I'd probably personally prefer to live in one of the periphery states.

Magistracy. if I had any choice of where to live, it'd probably be there. Because that just seems drat nice, compared to the other places on the table.

Nonperiphery, I'd have to say post-3062 CC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Everybody knows the best place to live was the Saiph Triumvirate.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Terra from about 2900 until when Terra gets attacked in the Jihad is pretty drat sweet. JHS:Terra sums it up pretty well.

quote:

The long efforts of the Terran Alliance, Hegemony, Star League, and BoTA have undone centuries of aggressive industrialization and growth that occurred near the beginning of the Third Millennium. Pollution clean-up, ecosystem repair, and reduction of urban sprawl have reduced mankind’s impact on the homeworld until more of it is in a pristine state than at any time in the past 1,500 years. The populous metropoli of Terra are compact and built up, surrounded by restored fields and forests. Factories are usually unobtrusive, underground facilities.
Those unobtrusive factories are enormously productive, though, giving Terrans the highest standard of living in the human space. ... And both due to necessity (as Terra is quite mined out) and respect for its environment, Terra uses its advanced technology to recycle virtually everything in great fusion-powered plasma elemental separators, requiring only modest amounts of ore from Mars to make up shortfalls.

Also, the highest standard of living and per capita earnings of anywhere in the Sphere, even though the work week is almost never more than 30 hours. Also everyone has a hovercar that runs on a Mr. Fusion.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, if you want a good government in Battletech, you could always consider the Republic of the Sph- ouch! Okay! Stop it with the tomatoes!

VVVV Ahahaha, oh man Ghost War was amazingly terrible.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 15, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Well, if you want a good government in Battletech, you could always consider the Republic of the Sph- ouch! Okay! Stop it with the tomatoes!

Say what you will about Loki, at least our spies don't beat up college students so that Stackpole can act out his fantasies.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dolash posted:

This still isn't a very informative assertion. It's not hard to assert that democracy does no better job of representing the "will of the people" when the system is nigh-inevitably abused, and various forms of communal living and anarchy have their own drawbacks and sins. Not to mention you can have Republics with bad cultural values using their strength to enforce suffering upon kingdoms with benevolent rulers and and a healthier society.

I'm not the sort of person who ranks a benevolent dictatorship as the best form of government (always a dumb idea, where human beings are concerned), but you have to get into the details and grit of a nation to judge it. Democracy is good, but all democracies aren't automatically better than all non-democracies unless you start getting into a sort of 'No true Scotsmen' situation.
An absolute government is heavily invested in the status quo. A government with at least partial pluralistic representation will be more inclined to abide by secure property rights instead of appropriating everything good to the establishment, which is something an absolute ruler would have both the power and desire to do. Secure property rights encourage innovation, since the inventor and the manufacturer would benefit from developing their product.

Pluralistic institutions can also protect each wave of innovation from the old guard, since their power-sharing nature prevents the industry or industries that would suffer from stomping the new generation out, at least until the latter has enough power to defend itself.

Benevolence and villainy are individual characteristics. National institutions can only favor a minority or a majority, and a favored minority (or a favored majority, when you come to it) will always try to live at the expense of the unfavored remainder.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

When I was bothering to update the Corean twitter after that half-assed goon attempt to do rival corp twitters the motto I used was

Corean Enterprises: Our catalogues don't need pictures because everyone knows what our mechs look like.

Dolash posted:

Forced relocation of potentially rebellious populations never had a bad outcome historically. Just ask Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness! They have the cushiest jobs ever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Republic was so transparent in the writer's attempt to get us to care about them. Make the state a total camel where it's just a bunch of traits from other nations, and make sure ALL the material is exclusively their PoV? If it were any more desperate for me to like it, it would be Jaina Solo.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Andrevian posted:

Magistracy. if I had any choice of where to live, it'd probably be there. Because that just seems drat nice, compared to the other places on the table.

Provided you don't get sold into slavery.

Then again, if you're choosing to live in a state where one of the planets is named Hardcore, you probably know what you're getting into.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Provided you don't get sold into slavery.

Then again, if you're choosing to live in a state where one of the planets is named Hardcore, you probably know what you're getting into.

Given that Andrevian is probably male, the MoC is a really, really bad choice. Makes the Combine look gender-equal.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gimme the Outworlds Alliance. Pretty quiet, ignored by most everybody. Granted the whole "Raven Alliance" thing gets a little weird, but until then? It's not that bad.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Pretty sure the Magistracy isn't the slaveholding one. That's the Taurian Concordat IIRC.

And I think Andrevian can live with the fact that the upper nobility and military are somewhat biased towards women if it means he gets to live in a stable, prosperous space-country that's not really focused on being belligerent, expansionist assholes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

Pretty sure the Magistracy isn't the slaveholding one. That's the Taurian Concordat IIRC.

And I think Andrevian can live with the fact that the upper nobility and military are somewhat biased towards women if it means he gets to live in a stable, prosperous space-country that's not really focused on being belligerent, expansionist assholes.

Men in the MoC don't have the right to refuse sexual consent, among other things.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Men in the MoC don't have the right to refuse sexual consent, among other things.

Oh, the Space 80s...

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Well, the Magistracy did have seriously messed up laws regarding men at first, but those got stamped out/abolished after the Reunification War. Though there is no denying that socially it is still rather biased against men (and not in a ridiculous MRA sort of way.) Hell, Hadjii Doru was a man and he pretty much ran the state for most of the Jihad; then again he may just have been "One of the good ones." Still, I am pretty sure that the legally raping men law is on the out. After all, consent is pretty much the only hard and fast social law in the Magistracy, considering most of their economy is based on orgies and drug binges.

Speaking of the Space 80's, it's also the only country not based off some silly 80's ethnic stereotype :colbert:

The whole Raven Alliance thing is kinda disappointing to me. I was a big fan of the Outworlds Alliance and Snow Raven was one of my favorite clans, but the two of them together don't really have much in common besides favoring Aerospace combat. But I just can't see any clan warrior society meshing well with what are essentially space pacifists.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Felime posted:

See. Here's where I was. I'm still pretty sure it's the Concordat that does slaves, what with being Space Military Roman types. I figured it'd be all well and cool. I mean, let's face it, I can deal with not being in the dominant power group, as long as the other stuff holds.

:stare:

Yeah, gently caress you too, battletech writers. Gotta make the one place that sounded like a good shot a freaky-rear end rapehaven. Even though I'm pretty sure everything I've read contradicts this, I wouldn't put it past the bastards.

First they make the Federated Suns the good guys somehow, then this.

gently caress you, battletech writers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The MoC has a lot of kinda weird laws regarding males, but most of them are considered "old fashioned" by 3040. It is also the only state where bribes are not only expected but required for rank in the military.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 10 Results:

The Protectorate Iron Guard upholds their reputation for never failing with 34 votes
It’s a Pirate’s Life for the Rim World Black Guard with 26 votes
Praetorian Guards establish a costly beachhead with 17 votes
The 2nd St. Ives Lancers fight to a stalemate with 14 votes

Caldera
“Stupid whoresons,” Sergeant Damaris Golde cursed over the comms. “Why the gently caress would the supply DropShip come down out here?”

“Physics?” Lieutenant J.G Lycoris Asker replied cheerfully. “Someone forgot to do their math, and now we’ve got an Easter’s egg hunt on our hands.”

Ensconced in his trusty Shadow Hawk, Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi laughed heartily. “Careful you don’t let the Colonel hear you, Asker. You know how big he is on these wilderness S&R ops.”

“Still, they came down in the Calderas,” Damaris continued. “There isn’t any drinkable water for a hundred miles—”

“The trees seem to like it,” Private Vernados Zane interjected, his little Hammer pushing through a copse of sparse trees. Wood splintered as his `Mech’s little fist tried to push a branch aside. “Ok. So maybe they’re not the healthiest trees I’ve ever seen.”

“Sir,” Damaris’ voice cut into the comms. again. “I think we should tighten up our formation.”

“Hard to do a sweep for a downed DropShip if we’re all in spitting distance of each other,” Lycoris pointed out helpfully.

Erasmus’ radio crackled as Damaris switched to their private frequency. “Ell-Tee, this is Aylmer’s ‘ambush country.’ I know dropships have crashed out here before but we’ve got two companies out here. We should combine more closely with Lieutenant Asker’s lance for this sweep.”

The Map:

Protectorate Iron Guard
M1) SHD-2H Shadow Hawk Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi (Sair)
M2) HER-2S Hermes II Sergeant Damaris Golde (Pinguliten)
M3) STN-1S Sentinel Private Karan Stephanopoulos (BatteredFeltFedora)
M4) CDA-3C Cicada PFC Stavros Andreou (Rhobot Mk. II)

M5) HER-1S Hermes Lieutenant J.G. Lycoris Asker (LeschNyhan)
M6) VAL-QA Valkyrie Corporal Hector Halas (GreyjoyBastard)
M7) SDR-5V Spider PFC Flavian Gryphon (cafel)
M8) HMR-2M Hammer Private Vernados Zane (magni Slaan)

17th Arcturan Guards
A1) WLF-1 Wolfhound
A2) COM-2D Commando
A3) CLNT-2-3T Clint
A4) BZK-F2 Hollander
A5) B0C-13T Bobcat
A6) GRF-1S Griffin

Alternates, please stand by for an availability confirmation PM / e-mail:
Son Ryo
Affi
Remora

Mission Objective:
Drive Off the 17th Arcturan Guards (0/6)

Secondary Objective:
Destroy the 17th Arcturan Guards (0/6)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 16, 2012

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Protectorate Iron Guard
M1) SHD-2H Shadow Hawk Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi (Sair)
M2) HER-2S Hermes II Sergeant Damaris Golde (Pinguliten)
M3) STN-1S Sentinel Private Karan Stephanopoulos (BatteredFeltFedora)
M4) CDA-3C Cicada PFC Stavros Andreou (Rhobot Mk. II)

M5) HER-1S Hermes Lieutenant J.G. Lycoris Asker (LeschNyhan)
M6) VAL-QA Valkyrie Corporal Hector Halas (GreyjoyBastard)
M7) SDR-5V Spider PFC Flavian Gryphon (cafel)
M8) HMR-2M Hammer Private Vernados Zane (magni)

17th Arcturan Guards
A1) WLF-1 Wolfhound
A2) COM-2D Commando
A3) CLNT-2-3T Clint
A4) BZK-F2 Hollander
A5) B0C-13T Bobcat
A6) GRF-1S Griffin

Wow. Light and low end medium fest, with 2x 55 tonners and the unknown Bobcat, as well as either a typoed gauss rifle Hollander, or an alternate universe one.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Feels like a return to our first mission where a 55 tonner is a bruiser. I'd be careful when trying to gun for that Hollander. PTN is likely to use as bait while it picks you off if you get too aggressive.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So who in-fluff are the 17th Arcturan Guards? More Rimworlds regiments? Rimworlders dressed up as Steiners?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
:sigh:

PTN, I have to opt out and let a replacement take it. Something's come up and it's unlikely that I'll have much internet access for at least the next week.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Team, I'd be very careful about this one. You've got the Arcturans outnumbered and outgunned...and PTN doesn't hand out easy assignments like that. Keep an eye out for reinforcements or hidden infantry or mines or something besides what's obvious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Judicator65 posted:

Wow. Light and low end medium fest, with 2x 55 tonners and the unknown Bobcat, as well as either a typoed gauss rifle Hollander, or an alternate universe one.

The -F2 Hollander is the one I designed a while back.

Affi posted:

So who in-fluff are the 17th Arcturan Guards? More Rimworlds regiments? Rimworlders dressed up as Steiners?

Well, the fact that they field both that Wolfhound and that Hollander, both of which are at this time proprietary House Steiner designs, suggests that they are who they say they are. I'm trying to come up with anything notable I can say about them at this point, but everything they've done worth mentioning hasn't happened in this universe.

If PTN is using their special rules (which he's probably not) they win init every time they destroy a mech, so that's something.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So basically NRWR struck a bargain with the Lyrans to invade the FWL at the same time, very interesting.

Also speaking as an alternate I think I'm going to have a problem with being available and on time so if passing is an option? I am just swamped at work and at home, I hope I can still remain in the rotation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Andrevian posted:

See. Here's where I was. I'm still pretty sure it's the Concordat that does slaves, what with being Space Military Roman types. I figured it'd be all well and cool. I mean, let's face it, I can deal with not being in the dominant power group, as long as the other stuff holds.

Actually, I think the Marian Hegemony is the slaveholding one.

• Locked thread