Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

I swear this came from a Miata :v:

217whp/192wtq, 15.5psi tapering to 11psi at redline.

Wait wait wait... the date on that says 3/12/09. This is your car? You seriously got it fixed already?
e: also, why are your AFRs so low? 10.5 seems ridiculously rich. I figured 12-12.5 was really as rich as you needed to go?

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Nice turnaround Sav, what was that, less than two weeks?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Just how fast/slow is a stock Miata (1.8 NA to be particular)?

I've got a chance to pick one up cheap, and while I don't really need it, I admit it would be nice to have a fun little car that gets reasonable gas mileage. I'm just afraid it will be downright slow. This wouldn't be a problem if I could drive the thing for a while to get a feel for it, but unfortunately it's far enough away that I don't want to go all the way out there just to come back empty handed.

I've only driven 2 Miatas, and the first was a 90 "modified" with a fartcan exhaust and super-sized DUBS that were completely unbalanced and made the whole car shimmy like a wet dog. The second was an NB that had been in a head-on collision with a bent frame, and I had to drive while looking through the gaping hole in the windshield through which the previous driver had been ejected. So you can see, I probably don't have a very clear perspective on what makes these cars special.

I know they handle very well, and I know this thread is full of pro-Miata folk, but I'd love an honest opinion on engine performance. I'd just like to know I can pull up to a stoplight without worrying I'll be humiliated by some grandma in a beige Camry before I buy it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Symphoric posted:

Fast is a pretty relative term. In a straight line, a stock 1.8 NA can do about a low 8.x second 0-60. Frankly, if you're looking for a stoplight drag racer, you're going to get walked by newer V6 Accords and Camrys. In 1995 that wasn't necessarily the case, but in 2009 even premium economy cars will do sub-7 second 0-60 runs.

However, the moment you are in any sort of corners, you will run away from most everything that isn't a "real" sports car. On a winding road with tight corners, a Miata is a very fast car. When you don't have to slow down, the slower acceleration means a lot less.

Regardless, you will never, ever, ever be struggling to keep up with traffic. In my 95, I usually out-accelerate most cars on the road, and I'm far from flooring it at every light.

If you're looking for a cheap stoplight drag racer, get a Mustang. If you're looking for a car that's fun in bursts longer than 6 seconds, get a Miata (or other well handling car). Go test drive a local car in decent shape to get a feel for it.

Also, none of this really applies to the NC, as it is a considerably quicker car. It's 0-60 is more in the low-mid 6 second range.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
You'll get humiliated by a grandma in a Camry. 0-60 is 8 seconds. If you want straightline performance out of the box -- buy something else.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guinness posted:

a stock 1.8 NA can do about a low 8.x second 0-60

Also, none of this really applies to the NC, as it is a considerably quicker car. It's 0-60 is more in the low-mid 6 second range.

The 1.8L first gen does the 0-60 dance in about 9.5 seconds.

The NC is mid-7s.

edit- The Miata is a momentum car. It isn't fast by any means of the word, but it is agile. You can brake later and harder than most cars out there and carry a faster speed through corners. This applies to the NC Miata, too.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 15, 2009

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Phone posted:

The 1.8L first gen does the 0-60 dance in about 9.5 seconds.

The NC is mid-7s.

edit- The Miata is a momentum car. It isn't fast by any means of the word, but it is agile. You can brake later and harder than most cars out there and carry a faster speed through corners. This applies to the NC Miata, too.

The 1.6 NA is mid 9s. Everything I can find for the stock 1.8 NA says mid 8s.

And Car and Driver says 6.5 seconds on the NC: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/droptop_depot/mazda_mx_5_road_test+page-3.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda says 7.9s for 0-60 on the NC. I thought it was well-established that C&D is full of crazies.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Guinness posted:

If you're looking for a cheap stoplight drag racer, get a Mustang. If you're looking for a car that's fun in bursts longer than 6 seconds, get a Miata (or other well handling car). Go test drive a local car in decent shape to get a feel for it.
I already have a '70 Mustang, and an M3. And a bunch of other ridiculous stuff. I was interested in the Miata because it was economical while being sporty at the same time. And cheap. I guess I was expecting a bit more in the performance department, however, considering how light the car is. I'll probably just buy it and see how I like it, since I'm pretty sure I can resell for more anyway.

Mid 7's wouldn't be too bad for 0-60 time though, is modding the 1.8 to this level easy or does it take major work?

edit: vvvvv I see. Maybe I'll get a BEGi kit and make a project out of it. Could be fun. vvvvvv

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 16, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mid 7s is easy with a turbo.

NA is an expensive/worthless route.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Spring is here and all is right with the world.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat, you beat me to the punch of putting back on my RS2s. :smith:

An alignment is in store this week, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hey, I get to join in the putting-on-RS2 party too!

Except I never took mine off, and the reason I have to put new ones on is because the alignment in the rear is apparently off enough to demolish the inner shoulder of the tires. :(

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Symphoric posted:

I'll probably just buy it and see how I like it, since I'm pretty sure I can resell for more anyway.

Very cool, be sure to come back and post what you think about it if you do pick it up.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Symphoric posted:

Mid 7's wouldn't be too bad for 0-60 time though, is modding the 1.8 to this level easy or does it take major work?

edit: vvvvv I see. Maybe I'll get a BEGi kit and make a project out of it. Could be fun. vvvvvv

Now we're talking. A turbo NA would be both a great project and a great car. Mid 7s 0-60 would be easy to do, and naturally the sky is the limit. We've got a couple people around especially well versed in turbo Miatas. Look at Savington's car for inspiration. :)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Symphoric posted:

Pretty slow, but its a more fun slow than the slow of something like a Civic. :)

Phone posted:

Mid 7s is easy with a turbo.

NA is an expensive/worthless route.

I couldnt agree with this more. Dont kid yourself by buying N/A bolt-ons and expecting any dramatic differences, or even small differences.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Savington posted:

I swear this came from a Miata :v:

217whp/192wtq, 15.5psi tapering to 11psi at redline.

idgi, why is that hard to believe?

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Phone posted:

Mazda says 7.9s for 0-60 on the NC. I thought it was well-established that C&D is full of crazies.
That's the figure they've given for the European version, which is slightly detuned compared to the US one. The Australian one (which has less power than both the Euro and US models) will do 0-62 in 7 flat so 6.5 for the US version isn't that unreasonable. That said I'm going to agree with the people saying there's much better straight line performers if that's what you want.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

destructo posted:

Nice turnaround Sav, what was that, less than two weeks?

8.5 days. Would have been under a week, but I had to wait for a BSP to NPT adapter that held me up for 2 days. :(

Miatas make the most power around 11.6:1.I tune a little richer than that, usually around 11.0-11.2:1 for safety. My fuel map is basically untuned right now; I'm going to work on it when I get some time in the next few weeks and head back to the dyno in a month or two with a couple of maps to try.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

8.5 days. Would have been under a week, but I had to wait for a BSP to NPT adapter that held me up for 2 days. :(

Miatas make the most power around 11.6:1.I tune a little richer than that, usually around 11.0-11.2:1 for safety. My fuel map is basically untuned right now; I'm going to work on it when I get some time in the next few weeks and head back to the dyno in a month or two with a couple of maps to try.

Interesting, I'd never heard that before. Mind you, most of the time I just mindlessly do whatever Corky Bell tells me to do. I thought he aims for 12.5-13 (but maybe that's at lower boost)... I suppose there's probably a significant difference in economy?

edit: for what it's worth, I'm at about 12.1 at 9psi (figuring that was low enough to be safe), but I haven't been to the dyno yet. My timing map is the stock MSPnP one, so I just sort of assume it's safe (can't hear anything and KSMS doesn't light up).

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2009

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sav, any idea on what happened to cause your motor to blow?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hey guys im in need of some advice:

The girlfriends getting out of her horrible old (wrecked and badly repaired, which she didnt know until i told her) honda accord and has about $3,000-$3500 to spend on a car, being a frequenter of this forum and a detractor of horrible old boring cars i suggested a mazda miata.

So off i set for craigslist and looked for a good manual example for this price and pretty much all i can find are old 1990-1993 cars (which i dont mind, popup lights rock!) with 140,000 miles plus (which i do mind, she cant afford another car thats falling apart). Is a lower milage example unrealistic in this price range? This is a teenage blonde girl who cant tell the differance between exaust fog and blown head gasket smoke, and im busy with a camaro (the most unreliable car in the world) so i dont really want to fix it everytime in breaks. What suggestions can you offer to a possible buyer?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If there's documentation, there's no need to fear a 120k+ car. I bought my 94 with 144k on the clock last year with no documentation. I kinda got screwed a bit, but the maintenance that I had done was all of the normal stuff that needs to be done. So far this year, I'm only 30 dollars into maintenance costs because I changed my oil, and the only thing I see in the foreseeable future is changing out a wheel bearing.

They're really, really solid cars. Just keep up with what little maintenance they need, and they'll keep chugging along.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hey guys im in need of some advice:

The girlfriends getting out of her horrible old (wrecked and badly repaired, which she didnt know until i told her) honda accord and has about $3,000-$3500 to spend on a car, being a frequenter of this forum and a detractor of horrible old boring cars i suggested a mazda miata.

So off i set for craigslist and looked for a good manual example for this price and pretty much all i can find are old 1990-1993 cars (which i dont mind, popup lights rock!) with 140,000 miles plus (which i do mind, she cant afford another car thats falling apart). Is a lower milage example unrealistic in this price range? This is a teenage blonde girl who cant tell the differance between exaust fog and blown head gasket smoke, and im busy with a camaro (the most unreliable car in the world) so i dont really want to fix it everytime in breaks. What suggestions can you offer to a possible buyer?

You might be able to find something a little closer to 100,000 miles if you spent the time looking, but even 140k will be extremely reliable provided the maintenance has been kept up with. I got my 92 with 129k on it and am just over 150k now with no major issues except for my spark plug blowing out of the head which is not normal. I've got a rebuilt head on the way and once thats on I'm sure i wont have any more issues for a long while.

Provided the timing belt, water pump, radiator and hoses have been replaced, or you plan on replacing them soon after buying the car, it will last a long time with no issues.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
So theres no way around spending a few thousand follwed immediatly by a few hundred right afterwards. To say nothing of the clutch on someone who has never driven a stick...

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
I'm the fourth owner of a 1990, bought it at 170k (182k now), and besides having the timing belt done (every 60k, so it would have been due regardless) and needing a new 02 sensor I've had to do no maintenance other than replacing all the lubricants and the coolant.

So yeah, like Phone said, a 'high-mileage' Miata really isn't scary if it's been tended to decently.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 17, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here's just a run-down of what I had to do with my Miata when I bought it:

Timing belt - the one on it was torn to shreds, 60k interval item
CAS O-ring - a "problem" area on Miatas, but is widely known and easy to fix
Heater hoses - The CAS o-ring will leak oil onto the heater hoses and cause them to swell and piss coolant all over you header, known "problem"
Ball joint boots - Better to replace the boots that are leaking grease than to deal with poo poo going south down the road, I had to do it with my previous Miata

It's not hard to find a Miata that is up to date and has records, but it's also not too difficult to find a Miata that has none and bring it up to speed for $1-1.5k. It's either you pay for a running, up to date example, or subtract 1-1.5k from the buying price and buy one that needs the work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. Apparently when I last put the accessory belts on the '99, I forgot to torque down the bolt that holds the upper alternator bracket to the front of the engine. It's now long gone. I'm pretty sure it had a 14mm head but I don't know the actual bolt diameter, thread pitch, or length. Does anyone know what size bolt goes in there? I can't seem to find a diagram or part number.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ugh. Apparently when I last put the accessory belts on the '99, I forgot to torque down the bolt that holds the upper alternator bracket to the front of the engine. It's now long gone. I'm pretty sure it had a 14mm head but I don't know the actual bolt diameter, thread pitch, or length. Does anyone know what size bolt goes in there? I can't seem to find a diagram or part number.

If you're feeling super OCD, the part number is 99724-1000 (based on http://www.miata.net/garage/90-99Parts/99/MX5%2099%201%20OF%203%20ENGINE.pdf page 1-F8). I'm pretty sure that it's just an M10-1.0 bolt with a length of like 20mm or 30mm, but you can probably pick up a bolt box from autozone and use trial and error without any problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for the link - the one I'm missing is actually 99796-1020. I don't give a gently caress if the actual bolt I buy is OEM, I just figure I can try and dig up the specs based on that.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
My dad has always been talking about how his new MB SL550 has so much power but today I whipped past him in my miata... oh that felt great.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

It's not hard to find a Miata that is up to date and has records, but it's also not too difficult to find a Miata that has none and bring it up to speed for $1-1.5k. It's either you pay for a running, up to date example, or subtract 1-1.5k from the buying price and buy one that needs the work.

But the main point is, would this push me into the 4 and 5 thousand dollar "car on the road" price range? Thats over my budget.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's your city?

Seriously, buying a car within your budget isn't that hard.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
:(

I've searched around but I can't seem to find anyone else with a rust problem like this. It's like this on both sides.

What's the best way to fix this?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

What's your city?

Seriously, buying a car within your budget isn't that hard.

Ft lauderdale florida, bnut anywhere in the sofla area would do... Im sure the sun ruins the softtop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a Wheeler Dealers episode where there's some rust on the A-pillar that might help you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkMVAE3ZaA&feature=related

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ft lauderdale florida, bnut anywhere in the sofla area would do... Im sure the sun ruins the softtop.

$3000 1993 - 167k, seems clean: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1079570508.html
$2900 1994 - C package, appears OK: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1072449313.html
$2700 1990 - 90k, No word on maintenance: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1071434848.html
$3200 1995 - 101k, base model, maintenance should be up to date: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1044038303.html

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The power antenna on my 95M has started sticking a bit, so I figure I should probably try to clean and lube it. Is there a particular type of lube I should use on it? All I've got on me is WD-40, which I'm a bit hesitant to use as it's not really a lubricant. I don't have any other lube or grease, so I'll have to get something. Any advice?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Guinness posted:

The power antenna on my 95M has started sticking a bit, so I figure I should probably try to clean and lube it. Is there a particular type of lube I should use on it? All I've got on me is WD-40, which I'm a bit hesitant to use as it's not really a lubricant. I don't have any other lube or grease, so I'll have to get something. Any advice?

White lithium grease is the way to go I believe. But I think you should just pull the antenna out and plug the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

Spring is here and all is right with the world.

I found your other three.