Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I seriously can't believe that people still play BlazBlue enough for them to keep updating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I seriously can't believe that people can be so angry at a video game they don't play to keep complaining about it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

For the good strong fighting game players who appreciate Tekken rather than falling asleep when they see it, Tekken Crash is back with English commentary. http://www.twitch.tv/tekkencrash_en/

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Brosnan posted:

I seriously can't believe that people still play BlazBlue enough for them to keep updating it.

I think I read somewhere that it is currently one of the most popular fighting games in Japanese arcades. So yeah, I am pretty sure they are going to keep milking that for a while.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The Japanese are crazy for Blazblue, super crazy.
There are videos of around a hundred cabinets lined up, with nearly all in use.

I don't get what America's issue is, other than its overly sexualized female cast.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
DFC is also popular and that game is worse than blazblue

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blazblue just happened to be the biggest fighting game for Nesica when it was new and now that it's the dominant arcade platform the game is hard to shake. Sega's tried by attracting GG, DOA and anime filler games like DFC to Ringedge 2, other devs have ported their crap to Nesica over the last year or two including Capcom, but people are content to keep running/playing BB, I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blazblue just came out at the right time. There was no other ArcSys game on arcades, KOF was dead, and basically there was poo poo nothing to play in arcades in Japan other than the first release of SF4, which was broken as hell. It was also the first "wow, 2D" game of that generation. SF4 had moved to 3D and whatever other sprite-based games that could still be found on arcades looked tiny and outdated in comparison.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Saoshyant posted:

Blazblue just came out at the right time. There was no other ArcSys game on arcades, KOF was dead, and basically there was poo poo nothing to play in arcades in Japan other than the first release of SF4, which was broken as hell. It was also the first "wow, 2D" game of that generation. SF4 had moved to 3D and whatever other sprite-based games that could still be found on arcades looked tiny and outdated in comparison.

One night in Tokyo my friend asked me to take her to an arcade. Out of dozens of different fighting games and lightgun games and horseracing games the only cabinet she actually stopped at and played was BlazBlue. She liked the art, and button mashing caused enough cool poo poo to happen on the screen that she really enjoyed the few hundred yen she dropped on it. (And she beat my rear end, as I recall, so that probably didn't hurt her opinion any.)

BlazBlue just has a general appeal. It's a very pretty game that catches the eye and so it grabs the casuals, but it has enough depth and weirdo mechanics that you can play it on a level higher than the guy who's just starting out. It's not really my thing, but I understand why it stays in rotation.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Sarchasm posted:

One night in Tokyo my friend asked me to take her to an arcade. Out of dozens of different fighting games and lightgun games and horseracing games the only cabinet she actually stopped at and played was BlazBlue. She liked the art, and button mashing caused enough cool poo poo to happen on the screen that she really enjoyed the few hundred yen she dropped on it. (And she beat my rear end, as I recall, so that probably didn't hurt her opinion any.)

BlazBlue just has a general appeal. It's a very pretty game that catches the eye and so it grabs the casuals, but it has enough depth and weirdo mechanics that you can play it on a level higher than the guy who's just starting out. It's not really my thing, but I understand why it stays in rotation.

This is funny because you can literally say the same thing about Skullgirls.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

General Morden posted:

no?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blazblue has zero general appeal in america and so does skullgirls

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

General Morden posted:

I like the game but no, Skullgirls has no audience except a tiny little sliver Venn Diagram between "only owns a PC" and "actually knows what GGPO is."

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I actually meant casual fans who don't really know how to play fighting games but like the character designs and poo poo, but yes, you're all correct.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Blazblue looks fine. Skullgirls, I really want to like due to the great animation, but the majority of the cast looks like sexytime 13 year old girls. Makes it pretty weird.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
One of the reasons I have trouble getting into skullgirls, and one of the reasons I thought Blazblue wasn't that popular here was because of under aged girls doing panty shots of supers.
We're not really making much progress on that front anywhere though (see Chun-Li SFV), so I guess that wasnt what made most people I know actively hate blazblue.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I guess I should clarify that I meant that BlazBlue has a general appeal in Japan. I know it's not really a hot commodity anywhere else.

The Gorp posted:

(see Chun-Li SFV)

That's a bug. I had my doubts, but the weird jiggling doesn't happen on the Player 1 side.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Blazblue looks fine. Skullgirls, I really want to like due to the great animation, but the majority of the cast looks like sexytime 13 year old girls. Makes it pretty weird.

Have you actually played Blazblue?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

The Gorp posted:

One of the reasons I have trouble getting into skullgirls, and one of the reasons I thought Blazblue wasn't that popular here was because of under aged girls doing panty shots of supers.
We're not really making much progress on that front anywhere though (see Chun-Li SFV), so I guess that wasnt what made most people I know actively hate blazblue.

sexed up children is why I never would give skull girls a chance, hoping the industry can move away from japans inability to not poo poo on women but I'm not holding my breath. (Yes I realize that skullgirls was made in the west)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
lovely Japanese developers doing creepy depictions of women in fighting games, like MK9. Disgusting.

(Also the only case that SG skirts the "she's 18 I swear" line is Fillia, but whatever)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if it makes you feel any better or worse, most of the designs in skullgirls were made when alex ahad, the guy who made them, did so in high school

10 years of reflection......... still made filia

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

if it makes you feel any better or worse, most of the designs in skullgirls were made when alex ahad, the guy who made them, did so in high school

10 years of reflection......... still made filia

Also made Big Band, Beowulf and Robo Fortune, so lessons learned I guess.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Pomp posted:

Have you actually played Blazblue?

I'm wondering the same.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Indeed, Skullgirls is really weird and creepy unlike Blazblue, that overt sexualization just makes me sick to my stomach

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Indeed, Skullgirls is really weird and creepy unlike Blazblue, that overt sexualization just makes me sick to my stomach

And that's before you learn Makoto is, not to beat round the bush, NWS, a paedophile.

But as someone who gets neither a housewive's shock nor any other feelings from sexualization in games, this entire debate is kinda eh.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I, for one, love the big titties

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

weird bleep posted:

For the good strong fighting game players who appreciate Tekken rather than falling asleep when they see it, Tekken Crash is back with English commentary. http://www.twitch.tv/tekkencrash_en/

Running through this today really makes me miss my PSP and how much I played Tekken DR on the thing. It also makes me feel like I will be completely and utterly free online, as I don't know if anything from other fighting games is gonna translate over to the all-fascinating realm of three dimensional gameplay.

Has Lei Wulong been cut from the roster for 7? I snooped around and there's pretty much nothing about him. It strikes me as impossible, since he's been around since the first and must have been in almost every iteration of the series, even SFxT. I love that guy and it would hurt my soul if he isn't in.

Not seeing a release date either. All the luck in the world if they plan to release it to consoles after SFV.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

I mean I get all that and I know it's why people played it (at the time everyone was like "Well I guess a new GG is never gonna happen so let's play this poo poo"). I just don't know why people play it now.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

AnonSpore posted:

DON'T INSULT MY PURE ANIMES!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

DON'T INSULT MY PURE ANIMES!!!

This guy is cool

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Trollhawke posted:

And that's before you learn Makoto is, not to beat round the bush, NWS, a paedophile.

But as someone who gets neither a housewive's shock nor any other feelings from sexualization in games, this entire debate is kinda eh.

I don't care about anime waifu titties except to appreciate them as I do all titties, I just thought it was hilarious that the dude was saying Blazblue was fine.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what is makoto's spine doing

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Pomp posted:

Squirrel spines made of sterner stuff.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Pomp posted:

Like most things furry, appeasing the audience with no sense of reason or rhyme.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
You can make a classy sexualized character, I don't think that many people are legitimately offended by I-no.
But when you see something like Cerebella's pantyshot supergrab or Mokoto in general, I can understand the fowl taste it gives.
I just feel like crossing that line stops people from playing rather well designed games.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The Gorp posted:

You can make a classy sexualized character

Also see Urien for an example of this

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdest part of Blazblue though is that crazy story. I remember trying to play the story mode in the first Continuum Shift and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Does Guilty Gear have a story like that too?

The King of Fighters games are probably the best 2D fighting games with regards to handling the story. Like it has different sagas spanning 2-3 games and then there's the dream matches. It's pretty cool.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Blazblue's story is just above mediocre. I would call it a step below Guilty Gear, but a step above street fighter.
Some individual character stories are cool, but the overarching narrative runs on the concept of infinite parallel universes created by minor differences - like how the same to characters in a match can have infinitely different games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Gorp posted:

You can make a classy sexualized character, I don't think that many people are legitimately offended by I-no.
But when you see something like Cerebella's pantyshot supergrab or Mokoto in general, I can understand the fowl taste it gives.
I just feel like crossing that line stops people from playing rather well designed games.

Honestly, I'd say it's all about the artstyle for some people. Plus, I-No isn't that far ahead of Cerebella and Makoto in terms of "tasteful erotism" or whatever you might wanna call it.

It's a dumb discussion that goes nowhere fast, anyway.

Big Scary Owl posted:

The King of Fighters games are probably the best 2D fighting games with regards to handling the story. Like it has different sagas spanning 2-3 games and then there's the dream matches. It's pretty cool.

Someone said in one of the FG threads, when a SF5 character rumor was mentioned, "duh, who cares enough about story to base their roster around a timeline in a fighting game" and my movie starting was what stopped me from saying SNK. Also, Namco to a smaller degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

streets fighters story is good you fool

ryu want fight
ryu fight good
ryu is strong

• Locked thread