Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

hey you do you. i dont really get the idea of playing the same game over and over when there's other games to play. but this is because i'm time-limited much more than i am money-limited. not that im rich, but the cost-to-time-spent ratio on games is insane. when i had lots of time and no money of course it went the other way, and i played a lot of shmups (except when i was a kid, but then i was a kid so...)

We all have limited time, there are very few games that are a better way to spend your time than BOTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

while you were studying http, i was mastering lttp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
links awakening remake was the first zelda id played since lttp

v fun game. the dungeon build stuff was dumb as hell tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am enjoying forbidden west but getting some open world burnout

also it's stupid to make 1 million ammo types and make elemental weaknesses super important then only let you have a few available at a time without diving into the menus to change loadout

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't played a newer Zelda since... minish cap? I tried to play all the 2D Zeldas. Might have to get this one though.

Achmed Jones posted:

there is no way in hell i am going to janitor my goddamned video game controllers when nintendo will fix them for free. spending money and time on buying a kit and doing it oneself is just straight up bad judgment (unless it seems like a fun project i guess)

:agreed:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hed posted:

I haven't played a newer Zelda since... minish cap? I tried to play all the 2D Zeldas. Might have to get this one though.

i bounced off every 3d zelda hard and loved botw.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lost a slay the spire run after getting pandora's box on the relic swap. feels bad man.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

lost a slay the spire run after getting pandora's box on the relic swap. feels bad man.

loved the game so much, the relic swap grinding me down into deep hatred.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i just got complacent i think, getting rid of all my basic cards made act 1 an actual joke and i wasn't even really paying attention to my deck

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

graph posted:

links awakening remake was the first zelda id played since lttp

v fun game. the dungeon build stuff was dumb as hell tho

the dungeon building stuff was kinda dumb but it was also new to the remake. im kinda surprised they haven't played with that concept more (that we've seen, anyway)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

during the pandemic, i played (and beat) lttp for the first time. i think it was emulated on my vita. little jones watched, and he loved it. so i bought a 2dsxl and he watched me play+beat oot (i had played it before as a kid, but only a little) and majoras mask (playing for the first time).

when i first bought the 2dsxl, gamestop sent me a switch lite instead. i couldn't get their customer support to even talk to me to do a swap, so i did a chargeback. and that's how little jones got a switch lite for his 7th birthday a couple years later. i ended up buying a 2dsxl from goodwill

speaking of, if anybody wants to buy a used but good condition 2dsxl lmk, we're done with it. im keeping the vita though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

i just got complacent i think, getting rid of all my basic cards made act 1 an actual joke and i wasn't even really paying attention to my deck

lol, i did this once on defect and then got owned on an act 2 miniboss because i didnt have enough damage lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol, i did this once on defect and then got owned on an act 2 miniboss because i didnt have enough damage lmao
i had literally three block cards but in general enough draw and dexterity to make it work, up until just a dogshit turn 1 with reptomancer insta-killed me

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Was hankerin for some gaming, so I got out BotW again.

Is there a good way to find out what side quests haven't been unlocked yet?

Like I missed all of the Gerudo town quests the first time because I didn't ask for the Thunder Helm.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Achmed Jones posted:

this makes me feel better, i did something like 80 hours, beat ganon, and then bought the dlc. and then when the dlc landed, i never picked it up because i felt like i'd done enough botw. i tried hopping back in a couple years later, ran around a bit, and was done - it didn't seem like there was much more to do that wasn't essentially the same as what i'd already done. one could gently caress around endlessly, and i still had shrines left and all that but....ehh, i'd seen all (or at least most of) the cool stuff
gently caress now I'm reminded I never beat that DLC. at least that's all the excuse I need to get it running again; good thing, y'all got me jonesin for it. i wonder how far i can get playing casually before TotK comes out

(e) ooo, never played it emulated either. got some weekend plans :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the second botw dlc is very good, it adds (iirc) 12 new shrines that are all pretty interesting and a fifth divine beast that's very fun and good. i was less warm on the first dlc which mainly adds the trial of the sword, a savage labyrinth/cave of ordeals mini dungeon that is hard as gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DRG has its claws in me again and now I'm making to start anew in BotW... there is not enough time for all this videogame nirvana :unsmith:

quiggy posted:

the second botw dlc is very good, it adds (iirc) 12 new shrines that are all pretty interesting and a fifth divine beast that's very fun and good. i was less warm on the first dlc which mainly adds the trial of the sword, a savage labyrinth/cave of ordeals mini dungeon that is hard as gently caress
oh yeah!! i think i remember trying to do the trials - who wouldn't want a buff-er master sword, right? - and just kinda not playing anymore midway through. the new beast, fights, and reward at the end sound a lot more interesting

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i gotta give botw another shot. but i'm just getting into pentiment...........

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

i gotta give botw another shot. but i'm just getting into pentiment...........

This will be remembered.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

i had literally three block cards but in general enough draw and dexterity to make it work, up until just a dogshit turn 1 with reptomancer insta-killed me

One of my favorite defect runs was a bunch of the card that gives you block + 1 extra mana next turn, and a bunch of cards that channeled lightning. I had infinite block and had to ding bosses to death.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fack i wish i'd bookmarked the right guides last year for dumping switch games

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Just about finished OOT with the kids watching / playing easy bits. I wanted to play BotW with them before Tears of the Kingdom came out, but I don't think 28 days or whatever is going to be nearly enough time, even trying to stretch their screen limits

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yuzu is still hosed up in various ways

the opengl backend straight-up crashes or is slow as dogshit
the vulkan backend doesn't crash and is quite fast but always has weird rendering glitches like technicolor character models or a busted projection matrix that doesn't clip some object close to the camera obscuring the entire scene

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idk about rendering glitches but i had to switch from vulkan to opengl to get this running at stable 60 (except when there's a new shader)

i missed this :kiddo:

(e) gyro controls working too, nice

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 15, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

update: the graphical glitchiness gets really disorienting when weather starts, and murders the frame rate. reckon i'll just play on the actual switch instead

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/isuBRGc.mp4

yakuza

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Sackboy Ps5 earned my grudging respect when they had a level based around an actual licensed mix of Bowie's "Let's Dance", but then they had a level based around Britney Spears' "Toxic" (with the vocals intact) so I will grade this game no lower than a B+ no matter how many bosses they recycle. (so far just one?)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
good lord, nividia gpus are still hella expensive

top-end amd cards seem (relatively) reasonable by comparison; are there any major hurdles to actually using them these days? i know DLSS is out (but there's FSR where supported), presumably no raytracing, hrm. I just need more vram for textures in VR :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yaaay paraglider :buddy:

now to see if I can remember where all the nearby QoL crap is on the way to kakariko and, uh, the other one

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

psiox posted:

top-end amd cards seem (relatively) reasonable by comparison; are there any major hurdles to actually using them these days? i know DLSS is out (but there's FSR where supported), presumably no raytracing, hrm. I just need more vram for textures in VR :(

yeah no kidding. it's really annoying because i've got a gtx1080 and, well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlLRo7DNrYU

spoiler: the 1080 outperforms the 3050 in almost every case here. gotta spend a fuckin fortune to get a decent performance boost

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i have a 1070 and literally only play old crpgs and indie games

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i played the first mission of miles morales and it's ok. i started getting annoyed at all the "do the same thing you've been doing, again" stuff. i will probably stick with it a bit but it's not looking promising atm

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i played the first mission of miles morales and it's ok. i started getting annoyed at all the "do the same thing you've been doing, again" stuff. i will probably stick with it a bit but it's not looking promising atm

i bounced of it hard. my wife enjoyed it a lot but she never played the peter game.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i never played the original, but i will say that miles seems like an actual person with a personality where peter parker never seemed to have one to me

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

peter parker never seemed to have one to me

that's just because he's a middle class white kid

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
peter parkers whole deal was that he was a high school nerd who got picked on a lot. hes a bit of a blank slate so that the target audience could project themselves into him and live vicariously through him. stan lee knew what he was doing back in 1961

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i need to make a new, modern build so that i can play rimworld more efficiently

joking aside, it does feel like all i do is play indie games

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

when i upgraded from a 1070 to a 3080 the first thing i did was see how well new vegas could run now with a billion mods installed

many many frames for the 5 seconds before it crashed

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

psiox posted:

AMD is better value, DLSS is objectively better looking but only if you squint real hard at unfocused parts of the screen or run performance mode on fsr. They perform identically. If you want ray tracing AMD is basically a generation behind, but ray tracing is still a gimmick so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i forgot how much fun shield-surfing in botw is. shame there aren't a ton of good opportune spots to use it, plain grass seems too friction-y (e: unless it's raining, wheeee)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 16, 2023