Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Today's objective is obtaining some Fairy Clothes offered by the first DLC. How hard can it be?

The Outpost Ruins are right next to the Great Plateau, trivial to access from the Plateau's tower.

This book lists all the locations of the various pieces of clothing the DLC accesses. Here's what the book has:

quote:

I hid the eight priceless relics I stole from Hyrule Castle in treasure chests... I shall write down their locations. -Misko

The ancient mask lies at the ruins where soldiers gathered. From there, the waters of Lake Kolomo are visible.

The green garments of the man who wished to be a fairy are hidden in the ruins of Hyrule Field. Find these pieces at the ruins where trade flourished...at the ruins where sinners were imprisoned...and at the village ruins next to farmland where many people once gathered.

The princess of twilight, whose stories are handed down alongside those of the Hero of Twilight... Her helmet can be found at the temple ruins soaked in the waters of Regencia River.

Armor worn by fierce phantoms, feared even by heroes, is hidden in the ruins of Hyrule Field. Find these pieces at a battleground where brave souls tested their skill...at ceremonial grounds where royal guards are honored...and at the ruins where the soldiers of Hyrule gathered.

"EX" is all that's written on the last page. What could it mean?

Also found a chest with Amber within.

So...to be honest, Hyrule Field is one of the areas I've explored the least my first playthrough, so I'm not that familiar with much of the area, nor have I looked up where exactly each treasure chest is. I'll be wandering around pretty blind for this.

Anyway, it's simple to surmise that the central section of the map is Hyrule Field, since that's where Hyrule Castle is located, and landscape observations suggest the middle section of Hyrule to be pretty flat, like a field.

Lots of rusty weapons, so a nice opportunity for more pictures.

The outskirts of southern Hyrule Field aren't too bad. Plenty of Bokoblins, but the weak kind which are trivial to deal with now.

Several towers in the distance. Our first priority should be reaching the tower in Hyrule Field. From there, we can examine the map and see if we find any locations that sound like they'd match the descriptions we were given.

And there's Hyrule Castle, off in the distance.

A handy cooking pot.

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u36/033.mp4

And of course I'm not passing up that opportunity.

As I plan to finish off the others, I spot a shooting star.

So off I go!

These fields are definitely fields. Vast, open areas dotted with trees and occasional settlements.

The most interesting part was when I was attacked by both a swarm of bees and a swarm of bats.

Unfortunately, I lose track of the shooting star, but that's fine because it ended up leading me...

...to the stable of this region.

And hey, look who happens to be here!

So we meet again! I want to go home to Korok Forest, but I've lost my way... According to the folks at the stable, this area is Central Hyrule... Shalako... That means Korok Forest is still much farther north... Well, since I'm already here, I may as well stay awhile and relax. Ah, wait a minute...

I get the opportunity to upgrade five times here. I end up doing two more weapon slots, two bow slots, and a shield slot. Weapons are by far the most important due to the large variety of effects and tools (sledgehammers for their high durability in mining/stasis, Korok leaves for navigating rafts and blowing things, elemental weapons, torches, the list goes on). All you really need for bows are a long-range zoom-in bow for far away targets, maybe a multi-shot bow, and some strong regular bows. Shields are boring in comparison, just use whatever's strongest.

I... I think I remember how to get back to Korok Forest! Maybe I'll head back now. I bet Grandpa is waiting for me. Thanks for the Korok seeds! I'm off to Korok Forest! Come visit me there sometime!

Anyway, Hestu's off again, and that'll probably be the last we see of him for awhile.

Each stable has a nearby shrine, so here's this shrine.

This one is pretty simple.

These three metal boxes can be climbed. The chest has an Amber, by the way.

There's two other high platforms. Once has a large grate, the other has the shrine's monk.

First we restack the blocks next to the grate.

Move it back on the floor...

Then restack the blocks near the monk. Wouldn't you know it, this platform's just too high for these blocks!

But the grate makes for a convenient bridge.

A very simple puzzle. Eh.

Music: Stables

So let's check out the stables.

I only found the one side quest. I think there's another, but eh.

The river here makes for some lovely scenery, and if you head northeast from here, you'll find the Millennio Sandbar. The scenery there is every bit as lovely as the scenery here! I'm something of a connoisseur of beauty, you see - I simply cannot resist a beautiful sight! I try to exude this in all things, not least of all my own beautiful appearance. Speaking of, has anyone ever told you... You have the most beautiful features!

Well, since you definitely know how to flatter a guy, we'll indulge.

Oh, you would? Even more beautiful on the inside! Now, let's see... If you head north through Hyrule Field, you'll see the castle surrounded by that foul aura. It has long been a den of monsters, but in its glory days it was surely a thing of wondrous beauty. It was in that very castle in those very days that my ancestor... Hmm, my grandfather's grandfather, I believe...

Oh, how I wonder what sorts of cuisine members of the royal court enjoyed in those good ol' days... As a child, I would often suffer meager meals, all while dreaming of the beautiful dishes that might have graced my plate. Oh, if only things had been different! Gourmet spiced meat, seafood curry, mushroom risotto, egg pudding...

These days, I enjoy my time working at these stables, sharing my tales of beauty with any traveler willing to listen. But I still wonder what could have been. Anyway, excuse me... I seem to have caught myself prattling on. But looking upon your perfectly symmertrical face and discussing meals of beauty has rekindled my desire.

There must be one lying around somewhere in there! I'm simply dying to finally sample the food of the royal court.

So this quest actually requires us to infiltrate Hyrule Castle. Honestly, you can pop in and out of Hyrule Castle as much as you want, it's not really any different from the various other overworld areas in the game, other than the enemies being understandably powerful and difficult, and the fabulous loot involved.

For now, we have other priorities, so it goes on the backburner like the ten or so other quests we have.

Beedle's also here, as usual.

I want you to have this!

This even works on those Guardian things. It's amazing! I hear it works best if you hit the Guardians in the eye with it. This old guy named Robbie gave it to me. To find him, go waaay north past Zora's Domain, all the way to Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. Old Robbie makes a bunch of other weird weapons and clothes and stuff. I guess he's what you'd call a mad scientist, which is kind of cool...but also terrifying. If you want strong weapons and stuff, you should go see him.

The Ancient Arrow is pretty handy, it's pretty much a one-hit kill for many things, including Guardians if you aim it in their eye. However, anything hit with an Ancient Arrow won't drop loot, with the exception of Guardians. Also, Ancient Arrows won't work on everything, most importantly the scouts in the various shrines (especially the combat-focused ones).

As for Robbie, I believe Purah mentioned him when we first reached the Hateno Lab. Might be something to look out for in the future.

Otherwise, the usual things here. Saving money for a house, so we'll pass for now.

After doing his quest in Kakariko, Pikango will be found in many stables in the area, usually with a new memory hint.

I've traveled all over the wordl, so I'm happy to tell you about new places, if you want.

Might as well!

Hmm... That's Lake Kolomo, isn't it? It's an oddly shaped lake west of here. There's a forest on the west side of it. Yes, I can see some trees here as well. It must be over there.

That's certainly handy to know!

Otherwise, just more pictures.

And with that, let's travel on!

I didn't really get much demand for dressing up this time, so I'm swapping back to Sheikah so I can grab bugs as I explore.

Hmmm.

Yep.

Can't be a field without horses.

Some Pebblits hanging about.

Still a field. The tower's nearby, so let's head over.

I hijack a nearby horse for a quick boost.

Alright. Now we just have to head to the tower and...

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u36/130.mp4

Music: Guardian Battle

Oh. Did I forget to mention the central and northern parts of Hyrule Field are swarming with Guardians? Guardians that can walk? That's something we'll have to deal with.

Not that I let it stop me from looting nearby chests. Those clothes could be anywhere in Hyrule Field, after all!

Of course, Guardians aren't the only thing in the area.

Though they are the only moderately threatening thing.

Fighting them head-on is still a fool's errand at this point due to our weak weaponry and low health. Our best bet is trying to dodge lasers and hiding behind cover.

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u36/137.mp4

Like so.

Eventually I make a run for it and escape...this time...

Anyway, here's the tower. All we need to do is climb it and-

Music: Guardian Battle

OH COME ON

The gimmick for scaling this tower are the several Guardians that can take aim at you depending on where you're at in the tower.

Fortunately, there's plenty of platforms around this tower, so your best hope is to quickly climb between platforms and position yourself on them so all Guardians lose sight of you. Then repeat.

It's not as scary as it looks if you're fast enough. Stamina helps, of course.

And here's our map! That thing in the north is Hyrule Castle itself.

I decide between a couple areas to explore first, ultimately settling on the Hyrule Garrison Ruins we passed a moment ago.

Some fine treasures for sure, but unfortunately none that unleash our inner fairy.

The Guardians make exploring a bit difficult, too.

Nothing much else of note here, so on to the Ranch Ruins!

Easier said than done.

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u36/165.mp4

You can stun Guardians by nailing them in the eye. I tempt fate and take aim, fortunately landing the blow and making my break for it.

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u36/166.mp4

It goes poorly.

And poorly.

Eventually I...somehow escaped the Guardian and made it here. Mipha's Grace has been used up, so now I have to wait for it to recharge before I can use it again. I'm also out of fairies.

Great.

At least I covered some ground, though! Turns out you can cover ground pretty quickly when you're constantly running for your life!

As I said, Hyrule Castle is covered in Guardians. Luckily I don't get spotted by these guys.

Not much here except a bit more cash and yet another new friend.

Onward, then.

Another Bokoblin. I'll take it.

It was around this point where I started dying...quite a lot. A very very lot.

Guardians are very fearsome foes, indeed.

A brief respite.

Finally, a path without Guardians!

JUST KIDDING IT'S ALL LASERS ALL THE TIME

DEATH

DEATH

DEATH

This might take awhile.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread