Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At a glance, that sounds wrong.

I assume you mean PPPoE, Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet.
Bridge mode is not a feature of PPPoE as far as I know, but a way for a home router to operate. In bridge mode, a home router doesn't actually do router things, but just acts as a modem that translates the protocol from the ISP (which is PPPoE in this case) into regular Ethernet, where the customer can then put their own router after. If you supply your own router that can do PPPoE in the WAN port then you shouldn't need another device between the fiber box and your router. (Almost any home router in the past 15 years can do PPPoE.)

Try hooking your new Archer router up directly to the ISP's fiber box, configure it for PPPoE mode (you may need some configuration values from the ISP for this) on the WAN port, and see if it gets an IP address from the ISP. If it does, then it should work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the reply. I found a page that said this router will work. I needed to turn on VLAN tagging and select the presets for Centurylink. I did that, then set the PPOE username and login and it seems to work now.

You are correct that Bridge mode doesn't seem to have anything to do with the correct final setup. I was mostly skimming pages and many people said it was necessary, although those answers may have been to different questions than I had.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I am very impressed with the goons and vastly unimpressed with centurylink. Thanks for the help everyone!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
if and when the forums shut down, the collective loss of goon hivemind technical knowledge will cripple the internet on the scale of if stackoverflow were to shut down, this i have foreseen when they closed the notebookreview forums.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah. I can't tell if they are lying. The "modem" is an actiontec 3000a. It is apparently kind of old. I put "modem" in quotes because from what I have read, the centurylink fiber connections just need something that can 1. log in to PPOE and 2. Operate in bridge mode.

Assuming there's no physical problem with the line that is actually causing the slow connection, then the problem is likely with the actiontec. I've been reading about replacing it.

Apparently I can just use a new router and get rid of the actiontec entirely. But the new router has to support bridge mode so that I can just hook it directly to the ethernet cable coming off the fiber signal amplifier box After reading I realize the is the Optical Network Terminal, or ONT.

Last night I bought a TPLINK AX-3000/Archer AX-55. I set it up this morning before Centurylink saw fit to disclose to me that the actiontec was outdated and causing the slow connection.

I have been looking for about 30 minutes and it looks like the TPLINK AX-3000/Archer AX-55 does NOT support bridge mode in the way that would allow me to use it in place of the Actiontec. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/wrv33w/is_there_a_way_to_get_wds_on_a_tplink_ax3000/

So I guess I need to buy a new machine. But I'm not going to buy it direct from Centurylink. Centurylink has a list of modems that they claim will work, but none appear to be for sale from reputable retailers.

Does it sound right that I just need to grab a new router that does PPOE and also supports Bridge mode? If so, does anyone recommend a particular model?

I guess it depends on the service you're using. I had assumed it was cable in my previous post, but that centurylink actiontec seems to be DSL or something that uses PPPoE? That's different stuff.

Bridge mode is a specific thing for making the modem/router combo unit not act as a router, letting your own router behind the modem get all of its incoming traffic. It sounds like you should get one of the supported modems and then if it comes with a built in router that can do bridge mode, you'd could turn off the router functionality to use your own and make it into a plain old modem instead of a modem/router combo. I don't think buying any router that supports PPPoE will just work unless it's on centurylink's list.

Part of the confusion is that modems and routers used to always be separate devices when a lot of these broadband services were set up. For cable providers you had a DOCSIS modem and then you could hook it right up to your computer or put a router behind it. DSL was the same way, but with DSL you had to run PPP software on your computer. Some routers came with the ability to do PPP over Ethernet and then you'd have a modem connected to a router that you could use multiple devices with.

Nowadays the providers bundle a modem and router in one device. Everything I could get directly from comcast or verizon is a combo unit that's a modem and a router together. If I want to use my own router it's convenient to turn on Bridge mode (or bypass mode) to make the device act like a modem instead of a modem + router.

In your case it sounds like you did this before but you've hit the point where the modem part of your actiontec is outdated, so that needs to be replaced. In that case you need a modem that the ISP supports, which is very likely to be a modem + router combo unit. If it supports bridge mode then you could use another router behind it but that may be unnecessary if the one they provide is decent enough.

edit: I see it's already solved, ignore this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vim Fuego posted:

vastly unimpressed with centurylink.

Normal tbh

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Weirdly, my experience with CLink has been good. I am generally sour on all ISP’s, but I’ve had CLink fiber for like 7 years now and never had a problem with their customer service. One outage longer than an hour I think?

Anyway, I’m sure they’ll gently caress me hard now that I’ve said that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Most of my experience is second hand from very disappointed former dsl customers so that's definitely going to color my perception

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fibre networks are inherently going to be more stable as long as no one hosed up the actual install. Copper networks (*DSL) are much more vulnerable to influence from the environment that affects signal quality over time and leads to a bad/inconsistent user experience.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Wibla posted:

Fibre networks are inherently going to be more stable as long as no one hosed up the actual install. Copper networks (*DSL) are much more vulnerable to influence from the environment that affects signal quality over time and leads to a bad/inconsistent user experience.

You’re not wrong. I used to live in an apartment building where every time someone took the elevator my ADSL would drop link.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Neslepaks posted:

You’re not wrong. I used to live in an apartment building where every time someone took the elevator my ADSL would drop link.

Going... DOWN?!? *evil villain laugh*

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've managed to get the bits that will eventually make a homebrew router so for the first time have something with a >1G interface. Very happy to see my connection is something close to advertised!

(that's the computer bottom right, a Thinkcentre Tiny with a Mellanox 2x SFP+ card in it)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sweet!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Gawwwd drat

(That’s pretty fast, congrats and where approximately do you live)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wibla posted:

Oh for sure - years ago I had a dsl connection that rapidly cycled if there was a thunderstorm within like 15 miles :iiam:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

namlosh posted:

Gawwwd drat

(That’s pretty fast, congrats and where approximately do you live)

I'm in western Switzerland

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Wibla posted:

Back in the early days of copper, I heard stories of people who'd plug their copper line into a HAM radio and blow out entire neighborhoods.

Even today, leave a copper wire connected but plugged into nothing and there's a non zero chance a random ISP tech knocks on your door at some point hunting it down during routine maintenance.

e: a big part of it too is that rf signals can only travel about 1/4 of a mile before it needs its signal boosted. Tap too much signal from the line, you need to boost it. Need to branch the line? Booster. Depending on your customer density you're going to have between a lot and a fuckton of active equipment. All of that needs to be powered, and are at the mercy of the elements. Equipment on the line will die and no amount of preventative maintenance can stop that. There's so many points of failure.

Fiber? I mean I guess an optic can die. That's about it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 18, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Renegret posted:

Even today, leave a copper wire connected but plugged into nothing and there's a non zero chance a random ISP tech knocks on your door at some point hunting it down during routine maintenance.

When we had our fiber installed, AT&T ripped out all of their wiring and were like "BTW, you can never have this again."

Actually I am pretty sure Spectrum did the same thing, we had already cancelled service but I am pretty sure last time one of our neighbors had their service worked on they removed any connection we had to their coax network. I mean, makes sense.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

knox_harrington posted:

I've managed to get the bits that will eventually make a homebrew router so for the first time have something with a >1G interface. Very happy to see my connection is something close to advertised!

(that's the computer bottom right, a Thinkcentre Tiny with a Mellanox 2x SFP+ card in it)

Hello fellow Swigoon - I'm currently about to switch to 10G as well: I've got 1G at my current place but the 10G line in my new flat is up already.
What kind of hard-/software are you using?
Did you connect your router to the clients via fiber or copper?
So far I put intel-based SFP (SFP+for the new line) cards from Aliexpress in some old Lenovo i5 boxes running OPNSense and they seem to work flawlessly.
For my 1G setup I used Ubiquity but since they annoy me quite a bit I'm looking for alternatives - ideas?
PS: Zürich, init7 1G:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

knox_harrington posted:

drat 30% slower than advertised? disgusting

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GL-iNet has a new home router that seems like a pretty good deal:

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt6000/#pre-order

$109 with two 2.5G + four 1G RJ45 ports, Wifi 6, and 900Mbps speeds when working as a WireGuard server, plus all the usual Gl-inet stuff (OpenWrt pre installed, pre installed AdGuard Home client, etc)

I've used the Flint 1 as my home router for a while and I really like it, and ive got a Slate AX and Shadow travel routers that have been extremely helpful over the years on the road. I prolly wont upgrade to this yet, but if you are in the market for a good+cheap home router and aren't ready/willing to go full grey beard with a build-your-own solution, it seems like a good option.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Wait whomst the gently caress is using PPPoE to the home in 2023?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Silly Newbie posted:

CenturyLink certainly is

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

I’ve been told by Bell that this is the only way I can use my own hardware with my fiber connection.

Except I’m pretty sure the credentials they gave me don’t work and nobody has been able to correct them

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Silly Newbie posted:

Azhais posted:

CenturyLink certainly is

Ya - I suspect because they built their network out on top of their old DSL system. Also a convenient way to disable a connection - just invalidate the creds and leave the hardware alone.

tuyop posted:

I’ve been told by Bell that this is the only way I can use my own hardware with my fiber connection.

Except I’m pretty sure the credentials they gave me don’t work and nobody has been able to correct them

Assuming you didn’t sign a contract that states you must use their hardware, you could raise a complaint with the FCC? Not sure it’d do much good but sometimes companies get weird about that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like my trusty old ER-X is starting to show signs of croaking. What are "the kids" doing these days for a basic (lol) router?

Right now I use my ER-X for: Router, DHCP, blocking outbound connectivity from my sketchy IOT devices. I have a 500/500mbps internet connection that doesn't need any special authentication etc, it just dhcp's and then internet works. IP4+IP6 native and well supported inside and out is the one "upgrade" I want with the new router. Has to obviously support filtering out inbound connections from the internet for ip6. I don't use upnp or port forwarding or any of that nonsense. I liked that the ER-X was $61.

I use Unifi wifi APs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
snag a dual/multi ethernet celeron box for nothing, slap opnsense on it, and forget about it for years

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

You can see your username in the bell modem and you can reset the password for it on the bell site.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

snag a dual/multi ethernet celeron box for nothing, slap opnsense on it, and forget about it for years

Let me specify - I want a fully off the shelf solution.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

May I suggest Mikrotik? The hEX is pretty comparable to the ER-X and is very affordable - you would need to throw the unifi controller on some random computer in your house I guess if you don't have it on something else doing that job already already, but I run a Mikrotik router + UniFi AP setup and it's fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shugojin posted:

May I suggest Mikrotik? The hEX is pretty comparable to the ER-X and is very affordable - you would need to throw the unifi controller on some random computer in your house I guess if you don't have it on something else doing that job already already, but I run a Mikrotik router + UniFi AP setup and it's fine.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750UPr2 Looks like it might fit the bill nicely at a glance (at the picture, the word "POE") - What's the consensus on how easy they are to configure and such? I can point and click my way to success on the ER-X for the above features. I see specs like cpu and memory and storage - it says it comes with a RouterOS 4, that lets me clicky clicky?

Thank you - I will look at this when I have more than 30s to glance at it. Any reason to get an hEX over a hEX-POE-Lite?

Edit: Whoops, it's passive poe which shouldn't be a thing. https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS looks like what I would want if I want POE integration in the router. Also gig ports instead of 100mbps in the -lite options. That is some serious penny pinching.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2023

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Looks like my trusty old ER-X is starting to show signs of croaking. What are "the kids" doing these days for a basic (lol) router?

Right now I use my ER-X for: Router, DHCP, blocking outbound connectivity from my sketchy IOT devices. I have a 500/500mbps internet connection that doesn't need any special authentication etc, it just dhcp's and then internet works. IP4+IP6 native and well supported inside and out is the one "upgrade" I want with the new router. Has to obviously support filtering out inbound connections from the internet for ip6. I don't use upnp or port forwarding or any of that nonsense. I liked that the ER-X was $61.

I use Unifi wifi APs.

Mine is showing the same signs, I think the last hotfix started it down this path. I ended up getting a UDM-Pro. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, waiting on a few items to come in and free time to install everything.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750UPr2 Looks like it might fit the bill nicely at a glance (at the picture, the word "POE") - What's the consensus on how easy they are to configure and such? I can point and click my way to success on the ER-X for the above features. I see specs like cpu and memory and storage - it says it comes with a RouterOS 4, that lets me clicky clicky?

Thank you - I will look at this when I have more than 30s to glance at it. Any reason to get an hEX over a hEX-POE-Lite?

Edit: Whoops, it's passive poe which shouldn't be a thing. https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS looks like what I would want if I want POE integration in the router. Also gig ports instead of 100mbps in the -lite options. That is some serious penny pinching.

These both have much lower throughput than your ER-X. The plain hEX has the same CPU as the ER-X so should perform similarly, but the ones you linked are single core. If you want an all-in-one Mikrotik with at least as good performance and a PoE switch then you need to move up to the RB5009 at a much higher price.

If you don't care about all-in-one then get a hEX and a separate PoE switch.

Another option to consider is the hAP ax2 which is faster than the hEX and you can turn off the WiFi AP in it if you have suitable APs already.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 20, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh, yeah. 1.9gbps on a 5 port device assuming all fast path, cut it in half if I block a port?

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS#fndtn-testresults

Fair enough. I'll look further, but am not super sold.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Oh, yeah. 1.9gbps on a 5 port device assuming all fast path, cut it in half if I block a port?

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS#fndtn-testresults

Fair enough. I'll look further, but am not super sold.

You should look at the 25 firewall rules line as on a home router config with NAT you will definitely not be hitting the fast path at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

You can see your username in the bell modem and you can reset the password for it on the bell site.

Feeling stupid but where?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
With a 500 down connection and existing Unifi APs I’d recommend just going with a unified dream router for home use.

It’s a little more at $200 but I don’t see the appeal of trying to save a few bucks on a piece of hardware that my 5 figures worth of electronics rely on to operate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

These both have much lower throughput than your ER-X. The plain hEX has the same CPU as the ER-X so should perform similarly, but the ones you linked are single core. If you want an all-in-one Mikrotik with at least as good performance and a PoE switch then you need to move up to the RB5009 at a much higher price.

If you don't care about all-in-one then get a hEX and a separate PoE switch.

Another option to consider is the hAP ax2 which is faster than the hEX and you can turn off the WiFi AP in it if you have suitable APs already.

Oh yeah I wasn't thinking about PoE from the router, I live in a small house that's covered by a single AP so I just used a POE injector when doing my setup. Whoops!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cyks posted:

With a 500 down connection and existing Unifi APs I’d recommend just going with a unified dream router for home use.

It’s a little more at $200 but I don’t see the appeal of trying to save a few bucks on a piece of hardware that my 5 figures worth of electronics rely on to operate.

I mean, for $65 I got everything I needed in an er-x :shrug: so I don't see the appeal in needing to spend north of $200 on something. It rips right along at 500/500.

SamDabbers posted:

You should look at the 25 firewall rules line as on a home router config with NAT you will definitely not be hitting the fast path at all.

Yeah that's what I was saying, sorry. Even if the intra-Lan switching is fastpath the blended throughput isn't super. And in the next 5 years my streaming loads are going up as the kids get old enough to watch separate things. (They already do a lot of the time, but it's a lot of tablet resolution cartoons which limits the absolute mbps.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I think you could drop in an ER605, they are like $60. It's out of the omada line, but I don't think you need a controller or anything. Nothing fancy but gets the job done, not had it choke out or anything even while torrenting (Linux distros you pervs) and streaming etc. on a 1gb line.

E: I didn't read up thread, I dunno if you can do filtering/access control stuff without a controller, never hosed with it in standalone mode. Also doesn't do POE, would need a switch or injectors...

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 20, 2023