Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I bet there are farming communities of animals like sheep and alpacas who comb out their undercoats yearly and then a few of 'em spin and weave all that extra wool, that'd be pretty neat. Nick probably billed it as some rare natural black sheep product.

The part that gets to me is the ice cream parlor. Popsicles, fine, that's just fruit juice, but they're sure as hell not getting milk out of fish and bugs. I dunno maybe it's almond milk and I'm assuming the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Applewhite posted:

So if you painted a face on a rock so a child could play with it would it become imbued with life?

Yeah, but only if you wrote "Truth" above the smiley face.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Applewhite posted:

So if you painted a face on a rock so a child could play with it would it become imbued with life?

it's the magic of youthful imagination

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Yes, and that's a Rock Fact

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Alopex posted:

I bet there are farming communities of animals like sheep and alpacas who comb out their undercoats yearly and then a few of 'em spin and weave all that extra wool, that'd be pretty neat. Nick probably billed it as some rare natural black sheep product.

I'm fairly ignorant regarding clothing, but this video makes the claim that they took some of that thinking into account for the character's clothes. The sheep wears only wool clothing. The otter wears fisherman knit sweaters with tiny fishes on it. Its one of those fun fact videos but its #14 and #18 respectfully.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2bQ9uogrPw

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Alopex posted:

The part that gets to me is the ice cream parlor. Popsicles, fine, that's just fruit juice, but they're sure as hell not getting milk out of fish and bugs. I dunno maybe it's almond milk and I'm assuming the worst.
Well, bottled human milk is a thing, so.

Although a visit to a Zootopian dairy farm is probably off the table. :stonk:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alopex posted:

Sheep need to be sheered regularly or stuff like this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ck3gaEEHhc

They probably have a system set up where once a year sheep turn in their old wool for cash and then a factory or something weaves it into wool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

gently caress you for beating me to this :argh:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sheep need to be sheered regularly or stuff like this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ck3gaEEHhc

They probably have a system set up where once a year sheep turn in their old wool for cash and then a factory or something weaves it into wool.

♪ Everyone has fingernails and everyone wants cash ♬

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Applewhite posted:

If Hasbro released a toy rock that was meant to be played with by a child with said happy face then sure

I feel dumb making a semi-serious post about this but like really the Toy Story world and how it works doesn't seem confusing at all.

Alternatively:

ALFbrot posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

When you think about it, donating your wool isn't that much stranger than donating your hair.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Say, you guys would probably know: Do DVDs and Blurays tend to come with all the same extras? I'm a technology hobo and I've never gotten any kind of Bluray anything. I'd hate to pay for a DVD knowing that the Bluray has way more GIVE ME MORE stuff on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some Blu-Rays tend to have more extras on them, at least from what I've seen of the Blu-Ray/DVD combos I have.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oh come on

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wulfolme posted:

Say, you guys would probably know: Do DVDs and Blurays tend to come with all the same extras? I'm a technology hobo and I've never gotten any kind of Bluray anything. I'd hate to pay for a DVD knowing that the Bluray has way more GIVE ME MORE stuff on it.

There are exceptions but usually they have about the same material. I know for Lord of the Rings there's some non-HD stuff that's still on the Blu-Rays.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's out of 6 reviews with an average score of 6.5. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than it looks because Rogan stuff can be It also has room to go WAY down

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

Oh come on

get the flamethrowers

we're turning this party into a barbeque

axleblaze posted:

It's out of 6 reviews with an average score of 6.5. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than it looks because Rogan stuff can be It also has room to go WAY down

There is a food orgy, and it lasts four pages in the script

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mycot posted:

R-rated version of "Toy" Story coming in.

:nws: I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDQbmjmGxc

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Macaluso posted:

*Nick looks up defiantly at Bellwether* "I know now... Kingdom Hearts is light!"

Speaking of which, who wouldn't love to see Donald arrested for public nudity?

Alopex posted:

I suppose the skunk butt rug must have been more of a juvenile prank than a practical con, then - by that logic, it should be far more convenient to obtain actual wool than to get a skunk to shave his butt.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm still pretty confused about who the intended target audience was for the stinky butt joke interwoven with the extended Godfather reference

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking that their line of thinking was more, "We're Disney and we decide what normal is for the children of the entire country. This will be the first Godfather reference millions of children will ever see, it serves the needed function in the story, and we think it's funny."

It must be incredibly liberating to write for Disney and know that you can get away with poo poo that would be called too normal if anyone else did it.

The stinky butt joke was there for the 4-9 year old boys.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Wulfolme posted:

Do people respect the difference between poo poo-talking and frank criticism, or does everyone have to keep smiling and pretend to be friends at all times?

The latter but with stipulations. If you have talent and connections, you can be the huge rear end in a top hat and everyone else will put up with you. Otherwise the grapevine is quite extensive and too much bad history can accumulate around you to make employment possible.

I had a classmate get on the bad side of [a certain bird-themed studio] who then called his later employers with allegations of him stealing money from them (how an animator could access their accounts or petty cash I have no idea). Luckily the other studios knew it was bullshit and he's been steadily employed since, but this kind of pettiness and sabotage does happen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Neeksy posted:

If you have talent and connections, you can be the huge rear end in a top hat and everyone else will put up with you.

This is true with pretty much any field. The problem is you don't exactly see powerful and influential animators (outside of like one or two people?).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

mycot posted:

This is true with pretty much any field. The problem is you don't exactly see powerful and influential animators (outside of like one or two people?).

The ones that become studio owners or show runners/creators can have a certain level of impunity since they have public success and have the power over hiring and firing. Luckily it's not that often. There's definitely a few "kick the ladder down after I made it" people out there which exist, as you said, in any field.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
A little late to the subject of Zootopia issues, but...I watched it again and I'm really having a hard time following where the "48 hours" come from.

She gets the case sometime mid-day, gets Nick, goes to the DMV, it's night, they go to the limo and then the mob wedding, still night, they go meet Manchas, still at night, Bogo arrives right before sunrise and demands her badge. Nick says they still have 10 more hours but it seems like it hasn't even been a day at that point. Then it takes them an entire day to look at the traffic cams and it's nearly night again by the time they get to the asylum, which still seems like...a little over 24 hours? Am I stupid or where did the extra day go?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of which, who wouldn't love to see Donald arrested for public nudity?

I suppose the skunk butt rug must have been more of a juvenile prank than a practical con, then - by that logic, it should be far more convenient to obtain actual wool than to get a skunk to shave his butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNdhDq-DF8k Good for what ails you.

He's a shrew, it probably wasn't a very big rug. Just pay some hobo five bucks for a handfull of assfur.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The WWF is doing a lot of animation partnerships these days. Haven't they done this with Scooby Doo before, too?

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Haledjian posted:

A little late to the subject of Zootopia issues, but...I watched it again and I'm really having a hard time following where the "48 hours" come from.

She gets the case sometime mid-day, gets Nick, goes to the DMV, it's night, they go to the limo and then the mob wedding, still night, they go meet Manchas, still at night, Bogo arrives right before sunrise and demands her badge. Nick says they still have 10 more hours but it seems like it hasn't even been a day at that point. Then it takes them an entire day to look at the traffic cams and it's nearly night again by the time they get to the asylum, which still seems like...a little over 24 hours? Am I stupid or where did the extra day go?

I assume they didn't do this entire thing without eating and sleep, so there's some stuff that was cut out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm still pretty confused about who the intended target audience was for the stinky butt joke interwoven with the extended Godfather reference
Me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I dunno, I thought it was funny, it just seemed weirder the more I thought about it afterwards :q:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Haledjian posted:

I'm sure you can explain away a lot of the time gap with little things like inter-city transportation (if the high-speed train took so long to wrap around the different boroughs, it's pretty widespread; neither one has a car other than Judy's low-speed meter maid buggy; and we don't see how widespread Zootopia's public transport is other than the train chase). Travel likely takes a big chunk out of things. Plus, we don't know how long the wedding goes on, how far away from the limo service/the rainforest district Mr. Big's home is or how long he holds them, and if I'm remembering correctly, it's last light when they get to Manchas, then it's night when he goes savage...

Things definitely get a little loose, and I'm sure there's a few deleted scenes here and there that would fill in the gaps, but it seems more cohesive and hand-waveable than many movies of its ilk.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
In regards to 'what do predators eat', the art book has some of the company logos and advertisements on the inner covers, and there's a couple ads for insect protein, plus the fish markets in Tundratown.

And I'm fine with the skunk butt rug scene because it gave us Judy saying 'Oh sweet cheese and crackers'.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Haledjian posted:

I don't think Judy finds Nick immediately. She gets the case mid-day or in the evening, after she's already been working parking detail, and after she's had time to take Duke Weaselton into custody. But when she goes to fetch Nick, he's on his way to begin his daily hustle with Finnick. This suggests that she didn't track him down until the next morning. After she and Nick get the license plate information from the naturalist group, she realizes that she won't be able to run the plate because she isn't in the police database yet. She leans on Nick for help looking up the plate number, which he's clearly reluctant to do. He just wants his incriminating recording deleted. She mentions out loud that she only has 32 (?) hours left on the case. I'm going entirely off memory here, so I might have the number wrong. At that point, Nick realizes that he can get back at her by delaying her, so he mentions his contact at the DMV - Flash - and proceeds to waste the remainder of the day. It's past nightfall when they get out of the DMV.

By the time they meet Mr. Big, attend the wedding, and then investigate further, the entire night has passed. Right after Nick points out that she has ten hours remaining, the sun starts to rise. Seems like the numbers work out.

On the one hand, I'm embarrassed to have put this much thought into a kids' movie. On the other hand, I'm at work, and I'd rather do this than my real job, soooo....

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Saw Zootopia

It was real good. I liked how Judy's nose would twitch when she smelled crime :kimchi: Her voice actor real good

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 30, 2016

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Geomancing posted:

And I'm fine with the skunk butt rug scene because it gave us Judy saying 'Oh sweet cheese and crackers'.

I also liked Jason Bateman's enunciation on "Skunk's Butt" as "Skunk'ssss Butt." The long s and the clipped end to "butt" made me laugh. Great voice work all around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that part has me cracking up every time. It's just played so well :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And my grandmama, who was buried in that skunk-butt rug.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My sister and I both agree that the single best bit of animation in the film is the tiny mice flailing around and screaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I like that between Mr. Big, Hans and the baddie in BH6 whose name I'm forgetting, Disney's finally willing to allow attempted cold blooded murder in its films again. It had been a while.

• Locked thread