Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fib posted:

I use layers. It’s much more comfortable holding an extra key down rather than having to reach for a distant key like on a full size keyboard.

Hell, yeah.

I mean, this arrow layout is absolutely heresy. But hell yeah to layers in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
wait why, who what

who shifts hjkl to jkl;
crimes

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Fib posted:

I use layers. It’s much more comfortable holding an extra key down rather than having to reach for a distant key like on a full size keyboard.

which is the modifier key? is this also a foot pedal thing? I’d also love to see the opposite of this where it’s pipe organ keyboard that you play with two hands and feet with little stoppers for my font choices or shitposting macros

E: “oh you said keyboard macro! I understand now” *wheels away multi ton installation*

Pardot posted:

i want to make a custom keyboard like that some day. what would be really cool is to integrate a TPM or whatever you need to have a FIDO U2F inside it, then in qmk or whatever set it to trigger the press with a few key combo or something.

This is a neat idea. I used to have a keyboard with a usb hub in it, i constantly found that useful for little dongles, U2F keys and the like you had to have an extra port for. I couldn’t imagine lugging around my keyboard as my FIDO key but I could see it being useful.

The Kinesis freestyle pro has a key combo you can do to expose the config file as a tiny little usb drive (i think it’s 5mb) so you can edit and backup your macros without installing some ridiculous driver software like Logitech and everyone else uses.

ewiley fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 17, 2020

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

dick traceroute posted:

wait why, who what

who shifts hjkl to jkl;
crimes

jkl; is home position, it’s way better

ewiley posted:

which is the modifier key? is this also a foot pedal thing?

The thumbs shift to different layers, for symbols and numbers and navigation keys. The home row keys asdf and jkl; are mod-tap keys: tapping them gives me the letters, but holding them gives me the Win,Alt,Ctrl,Shift modifiers. It’s mirrored so I can press a layer or modifier key with one hand and then a modified key with the other hand.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

ewiley posted:

I couldn’t imagine lugging around my keyboard as my FIDO key but I could see it being useful.

most sites let you have multiple keys, so I wouldn’t use it as my main key (since a few sites only allow one) rather an extra one as a convenance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fib posted:

youtube a typing demo

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

youtube a typing demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zSe_0xT7Pk

youtube stardom here I come

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet
can you record it with an asmr mic and make it kinda sexual

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

sweet
can you record it with an asmr mic and make it kinda sexual

I already lubed the switches, what more do you need

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Someone posted a ridiculous "nuclear suitcase" style keyboard for Kerbol, was that something that was just built by one guy or was it an actual thing you can buy?

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Schadenboner posted:

Someone posted a ridiculous "nuclear suitcase" style keyboard for Kerbol, was that something that was just built by one guy or was it an actual thing you can buy?

I think I’ve seen several of those but they were all one-off custom builds.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fib posted:

I think I’ve seen several of those but they were all one-off custom builds.

I just really want a keyboard with one of those "launch" switches with the clear plastic cover and the metal grab-bars around it.

:(

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/FerretScum/status/1314890193514659841

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
checking in to say I bought a kenesis and bsd was so loving right it’s painful

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
except it’s not painful as i now have non-broken wrists

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Finally, a Keyboard that fits the sensibilities of all modern humans.

I think it needs one more numpad to make it even more desirable

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Oh, i get it. I could see using the overlay pattern but seems like it’d be easy to forget what’s what.

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I’m the extraneous keys on the left hand
code:
Y
H I P
 N L
Extra madness option: make one of the numpads a telephone-keypad and leave the other standard numpad.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

The Vinja Ninja posted:

would if it had rgb

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

would if it had rgb

she ded

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If anyone is trying to unload a kinesis advantage I'm looking for a 2nd one atm.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

If anyone is trying to unload a kinesis advantage I'm looking for a 2nd one atm.

I am actually looking to do exactly this

edit: pmed you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

:page3:

Not a keyboard post but i replaced the chinese made omron switches that had failed in my logitech g903 with japanese made omron switches (D2F-01F) and the clicking feels so crisp now 10/10 would laboriously fix a $200 mouse that is just out of warranty again

I had yet another logitech mouse start double-clicking on me, but I remembered this post from months ago so I figured out how to fix the fucker for $5 instead of just buying a new one, so thanks :cheers:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my g502 just developed that issue so now my 11-year-old mx revolution sits in its place. lolgitech why :(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
woaow forgot about this thread. I recently cleaned and tricked out my kinesis. really comfortable to use now and it looks kickass

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Silver Alicorn posted:

woaow forgot about this thread. I recently cleaned and tricked out my kinesis. really comfortable to use now and it looks kickass

:radcat:

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

are any of these split design keyboards with custom layouts like this https://ergodox-ez.com/ any good for playing games? Or should I stick to traditional layout but split like kinesis?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RustyKnight posted:

are any of these split design keyboards with custom layouts like this https://ergodox-ez.com/ any good for playing games? Or should I stick to traditional layout but split like kinesis?

Bowls only get the bowls.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

RustyKnight posted:

it's good for games. I have a dedicated game layer for the left hand that moves WASD over to where ESDF is, then moves space over to the left side (for me it's normally only on the right side), and some other things, so I don’t have to remap each game. ez pz

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Pardot posted:

it's good for games. I have a dedicated game layer for the left hand that moves WASD over to where ESDF is, then moves space over to the left side (for me it's normally only on the right side), and some other things, so I don’t have to remap each game. ez pz

That is what I do also

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bowl gaming is awful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bowls are the recumbent bicycle of keyboards

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Bloody posted:

bowl gaming is awful

agreed, but the ergodox ez and my own keyboard are column-stagger flat keyboards, not bowl

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Got a keyboard from the person up thread. As you can see it arrived in a totally unusable state:

Luckily I had all the parts I needed to get it back to normal:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don’t really understand why you’d need to make your keyboard unusable for other people when everyone is working from home anyway.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

Dvorak is the recumbent bicycle of keyboards

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

dvorak is for people who think hating cool thing makes them better

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
What makes me mad about dvorak users is you go through all the inconvenience of learning a weird layout but you learn one that’s still old and poorly optimised. Why not start with colemak? Then when you want more collect a corpus of representative text and run it through an existing optimiser like carpalx, and if you really want to optimise things write your own cost model that’s representative of your own finger size and strength? now of course the standard models assume a row staggered layout and that won’t match up well to column staggered bowls, so really you should write your own cost model and optimiser from scratch. Now, all this depends on getting some good values for your per-finger effort. before you start, have you considered that studies have shown a small negative tilt is optimal for ergonomics?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fib posted:

What makes me mad about dvorak users is you go through all the inconvenience of learning a weird layout but you learn one that’s still old and poorly optimised. Why not start with colemak? Then when you want more collect a corpus of representative text and run it through an existing optimiser like carpalx, and if you really want to optimise things write your own cost model that’s representative of your own finger size and strength? now of course the standard models assume a row staggered layout and that won’t match up well to column staggered bowls, so really you should write your own cost model and optimiser from scratch. Now, all this depends on getting some good values for your per-finger effort. before you start, have you considered that studies have shown a small negative tilt is optimal for ergonomics?

Dvorak is widely supported by phones and computers while colemak and other layouts aren't which makes them a huge pain in the rear end. They're very marginally better than dvorak and most just take dvorak and move one or two keys around for easier copy/paste.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also recumbent bicycles are badass and go like 70MPH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

but its still a bike