Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
From Empire Strikes Back and Jedi as a kid in my head I always just assumed the Emperor looked like that because he was older than a person would normally get because of using the force. Same with Yoda, as a kid I always thought that like, that was just what a human would look like if a human lived to 900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think he always looked like that and let’s down his “human “ mask because he’s making his play and there is no reason to hide

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The thread subtitle is still "New Trilogies Until You're Dust" and it still makes me LOL at how effectively Disney ran the idea of a theatrical Star Wars film into the ground.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As comforting as it is to believe otherwise, I'm feel confident that Corporate Star Wars is merely convalescent and not dead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

As comforting as it is to believe otherwise, I'm feel confident that Corporate Star Wars is merely convalescent and not dead.

I am interested to see, now that Disney has super committed to all these D+ shows, how soon after theaters get to the point of being fully open/no longer distancing that we do hear about a new Star Wars movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I am interested to see, now that Disney has super committed to all these D+ shows, how soon after theaters get to the point of being fully open/no longer distancing that we do hear about a new Star Wars movie.

This summer I think

It’s time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

The thread subtitle is still "New Trilogies Until You're Dust" and it still makes me LOL at how effectively Disney ran the idea of a theatrical Star Wars film into the ground.

Perhaps given the usual tone about Star Wars nowadays:

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread: Still Mad About All These Star Wars

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Tried watching the Sequel Trilogy after only seeing those movies once when they came out. Got about 10 minutes into The Last Jedi before giving up. What the gently caress is this poo poo. I hate every character, none of them matter, why did they gently caress everything up so much

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1397561138263515136

same thing that the showrunners for Picard: Season One said, but with an entire Star Wars trilogy budget. People so high on their farts that they think they can figure it out as they go, like they're their characters in their stories who are supposed to be resourceful or whatever

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This whole “having a plan” thing is a weird internet meme that started because of the MCU (similar to the “Lucas is a hack” revisionism). Before that, there was no suggestion that filmmakers must create master plans for their film series. The movies didn’t suck because of a lack of a plan. They sucked because they had no creative imagination or conviction whatsoever. Whatever your feelings on VII and VIII, the failure of IX wasn’t a foregone conclusion due to lack of foresight. VIII did not foreclose on the potential for an interesting sequel. They just lack will.

Like, Ridley Scott didn’t give James Cameron an outline for Aliens. James Cameron is just a good filmmaker with ideas.

Edit: like, Lucas pretty famously had plans for the OT and beyond that ended up getting tossed and instead we got ROTJ. His foresight and planning didn’t exactly work out.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JJ just isn’t all that great . I mean he’s fine and delivers adequate block busters but as you say above they aren’t important

The last Jedi was good tho

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"We have a plan" is going to be the "real sets" marketing push for episodes 10-12 and I'm preemptively sick of hearing it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mcu didn’t even really have a plan. I mean the plan was “vaguely follow the Infinity Guantlet comic books “

The last movie still ended up incomprehensible

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Seth Rogen Remains ‘Confounded and Plagued’ by George Lucas’ Belief the World Would End in 2012

Why does Rogen still believe George Lucas was serious about the world ending? Allow the comedian to explain.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/seth-rogen-george-lucas-world-ending-2012-1234635822/

Seth Rogen has long maintained that George Lucas actually thought the world would come to an end in 2012. The story goes that Rogen and his writing, directing, and producing partner Evan Goldberg were at a meeting with Steven Spielberg when Lucas showed up unannounced and informed the group about the impending apocalypse. As a recent GQ profile on Rogen explained, Lucas either thought the entire world would come to an end or, “at the very least, that everything west of the San Andreas Fault would soon sink into the ocean.”

As Rogen said in a 2011 interview, “George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, for real. He thinks it. He’s going on about the tectonic plates and all the time Spielberg is rolling his eyes, like, ‘My nerdy friend won’t shut up, I’m sorry.'”

The Lucas story naturally makes its way into Rogen’s new book, a collection of essays titled “Yearbook.” Rogen remembers Goldberg asking Lucas if he really thought the world would end in 2012, to which Lucas allegedly responded, “I know it’s gonna happen…it’s science. And I know science.” Lucas has said that he was joking, thus Rogen admitted to GQ that the “Star Wars” creator “will not be happy” with the upcoming book.

“We [made] a joke like, if you’ve got a spaceship to escape Earth, can we get a seat on that thing?” Rogen said. “And he was like, ‘No.’ It makes me think he wasn’t joking because, if you were joking, you would just say ‘Yes’… But, no, he said, ‘No.’ To this day, I am confounded and plagued by that story.”

And now you know the real reason he sold Star Wars.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Star Wars ‘77 ended without any idea that there would be two more films to complete the trilogy. Force Awakens ended knowing there would be two more films to complete the trilogy. If you are expecting (planning) to make a trilogy and the first film is structured around that idea, it would be wise to know where the story is going.

On the other hand, Abrams probably DID plan it out, but Rian Johnson did away with it all with TLJ, so it’s moot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If not a plan then at the very least there should have been a supervising figure making sure the directors weren't just crossing out each others work between every film. Shouldn't something like that have been Kathleen Kennedy's direct job role?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Johnson crossed out the right things. gently caress snoke, and everyone who liked him, and gently caress Rey’s parents, and everyone who liked them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's bizarre that people still confuse the idea of "Rey Nobody" with "TLJ says it doesn't matter". Revealing she's Rey Nobody from Nowhere doesn't mean that it's not important - it's incredibly important. It's all moot now because of ROS but this has always been weird to me

TFA set up a bunch of curtains and promised that things would eventually be put behind them (who is Snoke? who is Rey? what's Luke's deal) to be revealed. Only the snoke thing is really a case of Rian pulling down the curtain and admitting there was nothing behind it. He realized that snoke was just a stock character cartoon puppet and that kylo is the interesting bit.

Sometimes I wonder if the vader twist in empire just doomed the direction of the whole franchise. Disney has been trying to chase the high of that reveal this whole time. Even the second season of the puppet show just devolved into a weekly cameo reveal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Part of the genre tho is continually adding twists and new characters etc . It’s just Star Wars

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rian agrees, that’s why there’s 19 twists in that movie. My expectations were subversed as gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nah posted:

Rian agrees, that’s why there’s 19 twists in that movie. My expectations were subversed as gently caress

Yeah I enjoyed it too

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I definitely did not expect a StarWar to open up with sketch comedy but drat that subversed me big time. Thank god that hack will never make another one of these movies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you referring to dialog which acted as an efficient characterization of Poe and hux.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you think the jokes in tlj fall flat you should watch the empire strikes back for some heavy cringe

nah
Mar 16, 2009

No, that is incorrect

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There was probably a window with the sequels to try to do a different thing. The old EU had the heavy military fiction focus angle right there for them to lift from for just one example. Anecdotally from bringing it up here and elsewhere sengoku star wars seems like a pretty good pitch.

But disney was always going to be too risk averse for that, the order of the day was inevitably going to be regular fixes of the OT until only the cartoon loving zoomers survive

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

euphronius posted:

If you think the jokes in tlj fall flat you should watch the empire strikes back for some heavy cringe

The jokes mostly land. Han messing up the security call is legit great. Poe doing a mom joke is terrible.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Last Call posted:

Seth Rogen Remains ‘Confounded and Plagued’ by George Lucas’ Belief the World Would End in 2012

Why does Rogen still believe George Lucas was serious about the world ending? Allow the comedian to explain.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/seth-rogen-george-lucas-world-ending-2012-1234635822/

Seth Rogen has long maintained that George Lucas actually thought the world would come to an end in 2012. The story goes that Rogen and his writing, directing, and producing partner Evan Goldberg were at a meeting with Steven Spielberg when Lucas showed up unannounced and informed the group about the impending apocalypse. As a recent GQ profile on Rogen explained, Lucas either thought the entire world would come to an end or, “at the very least, that everything west of the San Andreas Fault would soon sink into the ocean.”

As Rogen said in a 2011 interview, “George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, for real. He thinks it. He’s going on about the tectonic plates and all the time Spielberg is rolling his eyes, like, ‘My nerdy friend won’t shut up, I’m sorry.'”

The Lucas story naturally makes its way into Rogen’s new book, a collection of essays titled “Yearbook.” Rogen remembers Goldberg asking Lucas if he really thought the world would end in 2012, to which Lucas allegedly responded, “I know it’s gonna happen…it’s science. And I know science.” Lucas has said that he was joking, thus Rogen admitted to GQ that the “Star Wars” creator “will not be happy” with the upcoming book.

“We [made] a joke like, if you’ve got a spaceship to escape Earth, can we get a seat on that thing?” Rogen said. “And he was like, ‘No.’ It makes me think he wasn’t joking because, if you were joking, you would just say ‘Yes’… But, no, he said, ‘No.’ To this day, I am confounded and plagued by that story.”

And now you know the real reason he sold Star Wars.

if he was joking (he was) the funnier response there is definitely to say ‘No’.

for a guy that is an extremely funny writer seth rogen has some extremely poor comic instincts

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

The jokes mostly land. Han messing up the security call is legit great. Poe doing a mom joke is terrible.

I like the characters that make jokes in ESB. I do not give a poo poo about a “Poe” or a “Hux” or any of the dogshit in the sequels

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Johnson crossed out the right things. gently caress snoke, and everyone who liked him, and gently caress Rey’s parents, and everyone who liked them.

Half of the film’s runtime is devoted to Snoke doing Snokey things and Rey thinking about her dumb parents.

Making Snoke and the parents entirely new characters was only half of the equation. The other half was to make them remotely interesting enough to justify the runtime devoted to them.

That was only achieved with the cloned Snoke reveal, in Episode 9.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

That wasn't in Empire Strikes Back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Wrong movie

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

This whole “having a plan” thing is a weird internet meme that started because of the MCU (similar to the “Lucas is a hack” revisionism). Before that, there was no suggestion that filmmakers must create master plans for their film series. The movies didn’t suck because of a lack of a plan. They sucked because they had no creative imagination or conviction whatsoever. Whatever your feelings on VII and VIII, the failure of IX wasn’t a foregone conclusion due to lack of foresight. VIII did not foreclose on the potential for an interesting sequel. They just lack will.

Like, Ridley Scott didn’t give James Cameron an outline for Aliens. James Cameron is just a good filmmaker with ideas.

Edit: like, Lucas pretty famously had plans for the OT and beyond that ended up getting tossed and instead we got ROTJ. His foresight and planning didn’t exactly work out.

I think this is a good point, although tbf most movies aren't planned as a definite part 1, 2 & 3 of a trilogy right out of the gate. Like Aliens was made 7 years after Alien, and even then it wasn't like they were like "okay this is the next film in the Alien arc and we are going to do one every year for the foreseeable future". I don't think they needed everything planned out meticulously, but if you're going to a three movie saga over the course of 5 years you shouldn't be rapidly changing poo poo because the internet got mad at you either

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Are there instances in the OT of the characters trying to be funny to each other? My recollection is most of the humor is wry one-liners for the enjoyment of the audience, not the characters in the film.

In TLJ I can picture Poe getting back to the hangar, nudging his buddies and saying, "Hey, did you hear that 'your mom' joke I pulled on Hux? Pretty great right?"

I don't think the OT really had any lines where the characters were trying to humor one another which might be why the TLJ approach is such a sticking point for fans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was stalling for time

It had a “tactical realist” function and also characterized him

Jesus Christ lmao

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nah posted:

I like the characters that make jokes in ESB. I do not give a poo poo about a “Poe” or a “Hux” or any of the dogshit in the sequels

Not just this, the jokes and light-hearted moments in ESB remind us that we like these characters and endear them to us, which makes it more impactful when really bad stuff starts happening to them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When people say “plan” they mean “has creative direction and central themes”. Lucas didn’t have it all meticulously plotted out but he knew what he was trying to say and where he was trying to go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

When people say “plan” they mean “has creative direction and central themes”. Lucas didn’t have it all meticulously plotted out but he knew what he was trying to say and where he was trying to go.

Right. But then they say the mcu? Had a plan so . I don’t know

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Skrill.exe posted:

Are there instances in the OT of the characters trying to be funny to each other? My recollection is most of the humor is wry one-liners for the enjoyment of the audience, not the characters in the film.

Lando faking Han out on the landing pad comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't read. Still, Empire's humour lands a bit better. For instance, Luke smirking about getting the kiss and pissing off Han.