Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Don't listen to these jaded old grumps. If you just want to be in space, and feel like you are living your life as a pilot pootling around the galaxy, this game owns.

My life in space so far has been:
Taking some early data courier missions to small outposts where I have been able to make sloppy 4 minute landings away from prying eyes.
Salvaging cargo from 'sploded spaceships for fun and profit.
Almost burning alive by getting too close to a sun, twice, and that moment of panic where I have to both get away quickly, but the getting away quickly also generates heat.
Almost running out of fuel on a roadtrip to goon space, and needing to make a 12k ls detour to a very lonely outpost orbiting an isolated brown dwarf star, and it being surrounded by pirates.

I also spend a ton of time in the camera suite just looking at how goddamn pretty my spaceship is, watching the hardpoints and landing gear deploy. I'm basically a wobbly newborn horse of a space pilot right now, where I'm clumsy and bad at everything but finding everything fun and joyous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Fishreds99 posted:

You'll get plenty of this as you sit in a station while watching Netflix, waiting for literal hours for your ship to transfer there from another station.

That's a personal choice of course, but the rare occasion I've been waiting for a ship I just continue playing as normal while waiting for it to be delivered. There's nothing stopping you doing other missions, bounty hunting, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

You can't type all that and not share the super awful name. :colbert:

I would, if it weren't utterly boring. See, the name is only shameful and embarrassing to me, personally. Everyone else just wouldn't get the joke I played on myself here.

Arach posted:

They mentioned during the PS4 stream last week that your fdev account could link to two PSN accounts. You'll probably be able to link the account you want to use, clear save to reset name, and still have the space bucks. Or not :shrug:

Oh, I did. As I said, I encountered the same thing with No Man's Sky, so I created a new PSN account just for cases like this. It's just that all the extras I got with my Legendary Edition are now firmly gifted to my old account. It stings a bit, but I can at least play with my sensible account. (Only in Solo though because gently caress Sony's subscription. :argh: )

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Also a lot of Fishred99s player group (not us) got hit with the Devhammer for exploiting a bug with the engineers. So he's a bit salty right now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Mu77ley”" post="“473836897”"]
That’s a personal choice of course, but the rare occasion I’ve been waiting for a ship I just continue playing as normal while waiting for it to be delivered. There’s nothing stopping you doing other missions, bounty hunting, etc.
[/quote]

It’s a bad design mechanic stop defending it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Angrymog posted:

Also a lot of Fishred99s player group (not us) got hit with the Devhammer for exploiting a bug with the engineers. So he's a bit salty right now.

Good on Frontier for showing a little teeth. I'm certainly pretty happy I never got around to trying that crap.

It has to be said though, while exploits are interesting and sometimes fun, it's kind of telling that engineer exploits are this attractive. Just about anything to avoid the grind is happily jumped into by the player mass, which tells me = too much grind, not enough content.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo Space Cruella took a dive while I was away :negative:

Mu77ley posted:

I'm not defending jack poo poo. I'm merely pointing out that he doesn't have to sit there watching poo poo American TV on Netflix. The game doesn't suddenly stop working until the bloody thing arrives.

Awwww

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 28, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s a bad design mechanic stop defending it.

I'm not defending jack poo poo. I'm merely pointing out that he doesn't have to sit there watching poo poo American TV on Netflix. The game doesn't suddenly stop working until the bloody thing arrives.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's a perception thing. Whilst you're waiting for that ship you're not doing what you actually want to be doing, so it's not as much fun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Maybe if you want to fly spaceships with easy controls and land on planets you should play destiny

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Good on Frontier for showing a little teeth.
Very much agreed.
I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised they did.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Do the transfer right before you log off to go eat dinner or something. It's nice to have the game working for you in the background.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Maybe if you want to fly spaceships with easy controls and land on planets you should play destiny

You literally can't do any of that in Destiny.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Enos Cabell posted:

You literally can't do any of that in Destiny.

What's easier than no controls?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The problem is waiting for your ship to arrive adds absolutely nothing positive to the experience. Have instant players hop into your fighters on your ship on the actual other side of the galaxy is fine, instantly respawn in your ship after you roll and explode your srv, fine. Want your ship in another system? Well realism u see....

Tedium is not game play and Frontier only sometimes can do something without caving to to grognards.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 28, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Interestingly enough Sandro did say that they were considering reducing the immershun timer and reducing the cost. Remember the original design was instant.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Angrymog posted:

Interestingly enough Sandro did say that they were considering reducing the immershun timer and reducing the cost. Remember the original design was instant.

I'm still salty that they never went back to the original electrically powered SRVs. :colbert:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

KakerMix posted:

I'm still salty that they never went back to the original electrically powered SRVs. :colbert:

Here's something that will really annoy - the original design allowed for airdropped SRVs. They had to drop it because of 'reasons'. Given how pissed Sandro sounded and about it, I'm pretty sure Reasons is code for Braben.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
"Reasons" is never not code for Braben.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This game uses the word 'boom' a lot.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Here's something that will really annoy - the original design allowed for airdropped SRVs. They had to drop it because of 'reasons'. Given how pissed Sandro sounded and about it, I'm pretty sure Reasons is code for Braben.

*Mako drop scene plays*

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bought it. Now let's see how long it takes for me to realize I hate it. :\

;)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KakerMix posted:

The problem is waiting for your ship to arrive adds absolutely nothing positive to the experience.

Hrmmm how about having to exercise the slightest modicum of strategy about which ship to bring along to a given location/situation?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Tap A until ship arrives. 1 hour remaining.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
P.S. RNG makes engineering fun and good

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Trustworthy posted:

Hrmmm how about having to exercise the slightest modicum of strategy about which ship to bring along to a given location/situation?

God help us the brown sea is leaking into the thread.

The answer to that is that there is no goddamned strategy. You bring the ship you want to bring. If that means it takes 30+ jumps to get somehwere instead of 6, oh the gently caress well. That's what you're going to do. The whole point of ship transfers was to address the fact that jumping all that way is not fun.

It was supposed to be instant. The forumdads pissed and moaned until FDev relented and implemented the immersion timers.

Now it's the same as it was before, just slightly less irritating since you can queue up batches of ships. Forumdads ruin everything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Stsrts game.
Oohs. Ahhs.
Does training.
First one good.
Docking still installing. Does basic combat Training . "Nice, he's harmless, you only need a couple more hits"

Chases around ship peppering him with bullets for the next 25 minutes....

pauses to gripe on internet.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Feenix posted:

pauses to gripe on internet.

No matter where you stand on how good or bad this game might be, this is the one bond that brings us all together.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Alright so right at this moment I'm kind of pissed. I'm doing the Combat Training. 1 guy on screen. Flying around.

The game is stuttering (it's on Performance settings) I'm on a Pro. It's also screen tearing. I watched a PS4 livestream with the devs and there was screen tearing and they were all like... "oh hey, it must be our capture device we don't see that here on our end."

What a bunch of lying liars.

When I say Stuttering, I mean the other ship, and my turning, are moving kind of jaggedly. It just cropped up a few minutes ago.

[edit] Restarting fixed it, so far. Weird, almost like a memory-leak behavior.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm on PS4 normie and I don't have any of that?

^^ah

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I took a video for posterity. Will post later.

Also, I complained about how long and hard it was to shoot in COmbat Training. Upon my reboot, I'm doing this again... and there is a snap-to lead reticule that either was not there before or I unwittingly turned off. So, sort of walk that gripe back a little. :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Feenix posted:

I took a video for posterity. Will post later.

Also, I complained about how long and hard it was to shoot in COmbat Training. Upon my reboot, I'm doing this again... and there is a snap-to lead reticule that either was not there before or I unwittingly turned off. So, sort of walk that gripe back a little. :)

Also the combat tutorial is widely considered to be a Kobayashi Maru, so don't be discouraged if you hit a wall.

Once you know how to dock/undock, just wing it, man!

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

We were the ones that reported the bug and filed a public bug report at the behest of frontier. Good try though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fishreds99 posted:

We were the ones that reported the bug and filed a public bug report at the behest of frontier. Good try though.

Did you continue to abuse it after reporting?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Look how janky this got!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHPBlY_exU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I don't really see any visual issues. What exactly is the problem?

Other than that, you don't even have the enemy targeted. Your guns can't converge on something they're not targeting, and it can't give you leading guidance for the same reason. The minigun needs to be lead, but the laser doesn't.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Angrymog posted:

I hope it isn't because that'd be infuriating: air-dropping the SRV is something I wish was possible ever since they announced the Horizons.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Fishreds99 posted:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

radintorov posted:

air-dropping the SRV is something I wish was possible ever since they announced the Horizons.

Coming in hot and air-dropping like the curiosity rover landing would be rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I don't really see any visual issues. What exactly is the problem?

Other than that, you don't even have the enemy targeted. Your guns can't converge on something they're not targeting, and it can't give you leading guidance for the same reason. The minigun needs to be lead, but the laser doesn't.

Maybe its not coming across in the video. But trust me. It's not smooth. It's much smoother when it started and after a reboot.

Also, no, there is more to it than you say. Even when I was targeting him the first time, no snap-on reticule came up. It looks like it toggles on and off (thanks tutorial! for not telling me!)

I wasn't trying to track him there but show how not-smooth and screen-teary it had become for some reason.

• Locked thread