Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

mooseinfants posted:

One of the extremely rare instances where the nxt name is actually an improvement

I mean the NXT name is one letter off of an NHL player mostly known for being racist, homophobic and so obnoxiously pro Trump that he alienated an entire locker room including other conservatives, so...

Also, when people said he got thrown off of his junior league team for using racial slurs towards a teammate his defense was basically "they were actually anti semitic slurs, don't be ridiculous".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I absolutely feel where Sami is coming from, especially as an extremely white passing person of mixed race. And I extremely don't want to be called white, at least not by white people. gently caress I say to white people who say white people stuff to me.

But, a truth I've had to kind of accept over the years though is that because of all the trauma bipoc have been through, though, that including someone as white passing in their spaces may not be where they are at right now, and may not actually be productive; because the truth of the matter is if you're white-passing, you also have likely benefited from white privilege and may not be able to relate to people of color's experience in the same way that someone with darker skin can . . . so if these people want to consider me white and want to keep out of their spots, or don't want my perspective on issues that affect people of color, that's their right.

Not sure where mixed race people are supposed to be at times but I know some places aren't it.

As for the El Generico thing. . . . well, it depends on what your feelings on cultural appropriation is, it's definitely not something just limited to white people but also not something I feel super educated or comfortable in litigating or if it is my place to (it's probably not); as others have alluded to this doesn't seem to be a thing that's actually happening at the moment though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Drakkel posted:

He's so loving mad about it it's amazing

I mean let's be honest, there's nothing Rollins has ever been but Discount CM Punk.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sami zayn is a monster, and I don’t know how to accept that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If he doesn’t want to rebrand his charity stuff or use his full real name he can split the difference and go with Sami Sebei, alliteration always makes a good wrestling name anyway.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Generic Sam

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

If he doesn’t want to rebrand his charity stuff or use his full real name he can split the difference and go with Sami Sebei, alliteration always makes a good wrestling name anyway.

Not sure I'd want a ring name that abbreviates to SS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sami Zayn managed by Treat Williams.

Let’s make this happen, Vince.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

It’s ok not everyone jumps straight to “Oh no the nazi letters” unless there’s a reason to, like if he started coming out and goose stepping to the ring with a swastika on his Tonytron for instance then maybe you’d have a point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The Syrian Stormtrooper Sami Sebei

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i always knew there was something off about steven spielberg

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Venomous posted:

Right, this is why people view Scorpio Sky and Shawn Spears as so problematic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
NXT name ideas which have been entirely lifted from the Longmont Potion Castle CD catalog:

Benny Liquid
Brent Bump
Buck Pucker
Bud Studdard
Buford Clifford
Chaplin Schumacher
Felix Babakuntos
Gideon Jago
Guy Person
Hoyt Herringbone
Jethro Hormone
Lumbar Deniro
Mulligan Snicker
Uno Sarcagian-Garabaldian
Admiral Whip Babbit
Jefferies Crescent
Nannette Nunanacci
Solomon Gumball
Wallace Thrasher
Tanyo Lubbock
Pashion Hodges
Molecular Lionel
Julio Ointment
Gordon Jump
Cokie Blaylock
Biblio Dewangus
Artie Yamamoto

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Poop in my gym brother SS

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Right, this is why people view Scorpio Sky and Shawn Spears as so problematic.

point taken

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have some.

Hubert Watkins
Ged Nash
Bennett Hurlbutt
Marmaduke Thornton
Hadden Andrews
Theobold Garrett
Johnny Page
Randolph Dennis
Len Kinsman
Eric Meskill
Alfred Ball
R-Word Hale
Travis Clark
Milton Sims
Melvin Dickinson
Garrick Reyes
Tony Castillo
Morton Wilkinson
Sylvester Strickland
Tyler Simon
Denton Harrett
Hector Hanson
Carl Field
Percival Shillingford
Truman Maxwell

they give out names like this to just about everyone who joins up.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The reason he shouldnt go back to being El Generico full-time is that when he dropped the mask and people asked "can he really pull off being a face without it?" he showed he's even better which people didn't even consider possible due to just how good he was

thats my reason at least

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can't believe I've been doxxed like this xpost.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

Joe Ariola

Quick, someone tell Taz

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Venomous posted:

Yeah, people would think he's a ship.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think Sami should just be Sami if he were to go to AEW but bring Generico back for PWG.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sami's gonna appear on AEW and do a promo where he references El Generico by shouting "Ole!" for an easy pop and gets immediately send to sensitivity training camp.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erebus posted:

hell yeah

lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
aew already has a bunch of non-latinx luchadors on their roster anyway

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

flatluigi posted:

aew already has a bunch of non-latinx luchadors on their roster anyway
Which luchadors on the AEW roster are "non-latinx"? Luchasaurus, I guess? Are we counting Dark Order members as luchadors?

Anyway I think the real issue (both in terms of appropriation and just limiting a performer) isn't putting Rami/Sami in a mask, it's that part and parcel of the "El Generico" gimmick was that he doesn't really speak English and also only knows about fifty words of Spanish and even if this doesn't bother you for cultural reasons, Rami/Sami has proven to be a great talker outside of the El Generico gimmick.

So either you have him put on a mask and regress to all of his promos being "Si, Si, Todos Elite Lucha, muy bien, El Generico win on Miro!" or you have him talk like himself but wear a mask? Or you just don't bring back El Generico?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Even if Sami wasn't a better babyface without the mask, I think the time for Generico as an acceptable gimmick has passed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if theres one thing aew needs its old gimmicks

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Here's a good Sami Zayn match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZEDSJUfhV0

I hope this helps relieve your concerns about masks and stuff

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Whatever Sami does, as long as he's skanking I'm happy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BrigadierSensible posted:

So the horrible conditions that WWE treats it's wrestlers to are well documented.

How about those for the cameramen, lighting technicians, and truck drivers etc.? Are they employees or contractors? Do they get paid more/less than they would doing the same job for other TV shows? And whilst they aren't subject to the same whims and last minute changes that the wrestlers are, surely they have to deal with at least a little bit of that bullshit wrt lighting cues and rushed making a set for whatever backstage segment just got written etc.

Also they deal with the same travel requirements as the wrestlers, with the addition of having to be there early, and leaving late every single time. Do they buy their accommodation out of their own pocket too? Could a wrestler share a ride with a cameraman rather than one of the other wrestlers?

Sorry if these questions have been dealt with in the past.

from what i've heard in the past:

ring crew are independent contractors BUT they have their travel expenses paid. production crew are normal employees with all the benefits. wrestlers have it the worst

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wanted El Generico back for a few reasons. He had such good underdog energy as a wrestler and I liked his masked look and I’m fond of his past matches in roh and PWG. It’s nostalgia basically. If he can be NXT Sami Zayn with good promos and a mask, I’d be set.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Edge & Christian posted:

Which luchadors on the AEW roster are "non-latinx"? Luchasaurus, I guess? Are we counting Dark Order members as luchadors?

Fuego del Sol, Jack Evans off the top of my head, but they don't pretend to be Hispanic.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I liked Generico if only for Sami being really loving good at Teller-esque pantomiming but it's not really something you can do anymore and also would feel like a step backwards.

My favourite instance is Generico/Danielson where they're chanting he's going to get his loving head kicked in, so Generico leans in and whispers to the ref to ask what they're chanting, and then he panics when the ref whispers back.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just want early NXT Sami Zayn. That is the character I want to debut in AEW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kunabomber posted:

Fuego del Sol, Jack Evans off the top of my head, but they don't pretend to be Hispanic.

Is Fuego not Hispanic? I have seen pictures of him without a mask and I can’t quite tell if he is or not.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I would like the closure we never got with Generico, have him come in, lose the mask in a luchas de apuestasto to , I dunno, Pentagon, and then we can all move on clean.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Arbite posted:

I would like the closure we never got with Generico, have him come in, lose the mask in a luchas de apuestasto to , I dunno, Pentagon, and then we can all move on clean.

Penta loses and takes off his mask to reveal his skull.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Majinfoose posted:

Penta loses and takes off his mask to reveal his skull.

please do not book penta in "death of the family" gimmicks

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I feel like wrestling masks (particularly lucha ones) are a great example of cultural exchange and it's actually really beautiful to see how lucha influenced Japanese puro and American wrestling and vice versa. On the other hand, pretending to be an ethnicity you're not is probably... at best tacky and at worst really inappropriate. I think Sami has proven he's a superstar as who he actually is, so probably no need to go back to El Generico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I just want early NXT Sami Zayn. That is the character I want to debut in AEW.

I want Zayn and Owens as a white-meat babyface tag unit. For all the permutations of tagging and feuding they did in WWE, I don't think we ever got them as a face tag team.