Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I got the Clem alone with baby ending with them going through a herd and I hated that. So I rewound so Jane could die and I could let Kenny live. Him wanting to let AJ and Clem go into Wellington without him felt so much better.

Kenny is indeed cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I can't believe I didn't kill Kenny at the end. I had never been on the Kenny-train since s1, but I felt an odd appreciation for him for beating up Jane. lol I'm not real sure how I was supposed to feel sympathy for Jane!! I got the Kenny ending at Wellington, and then bailed on him and couldn't help but chuckle at the intense melodrama.

Now I am curious to see what all the other endings there are. Guess it is youtube time!

I think I preferred S1 overall. I think it had more impact with me because I found a better connection with Lee than Kenny.

Now I'm curious to see what Telltale is going to do with Game of Thrones and Borderlands!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I finished Season 2. Everything that happened was all fine well and good but where the gently caress is Christa!?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Volt Catfish posted:

I finished Season 2. Everything that happened was all fine well and good but Where the gently caress is Christa!?
Dead, like all the other characters Telltale didn't know what to do with.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kenny scared me and it was pretty clear Jane didn't expect Kenny to go all homicidal, and none of Kenny's "plans" were all that great, his plan was to get a boat (not a fishing boat, or like nets or anything, just a dhingy,) and go gently caress off into the ocean, with no plans for water or food or anything like that. His second plan was, "There might be civilization if we go North enough!" Which is monumentally stupid and he doesn't want to listen to literally everyone else saying, "Hey let's pick up some baby formula since it's only like a day's drive!" He latches on to his plans and follows them without any deviation or worries about poo poo that might go wrong along the way. If we had all gotten on that boat with Kenny, everyone would be dead in like 3 weeks after Kenny sailed into the pacific trying to find an island or something equally stupid.

Not to mention he literally assumes all black men will act like Lee. Which is loving weird.

Jane on the other hand does have plans, that are short term, simple, and work. She's also a young girl who makes mistakes. Jane taught Clem how to fight through walkers, hide from them and survive, and at the end they end up in a grocery store able to keep themselves safe possibly with a new group.

I understand, from what people are saying that Kenny's little plan works out, but it was never a good plan, and just because it works doesn't mean that was the "Right" thing to do.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Felt nothing when Luke died. Pretty much "Oh he drowned already?". Maybe this is bad on my part, but I really can't remember many of the season two group names except for Alvin, Luke and Sarah. The Spanish doctor, black pregnant lady, the two guys from the first episode... All bad forgettable characters. A lot of times they'd come up in conversation and I couldn't remember who was who.

Anyway, gently caress Jane. I let Kenny kill her because he's my bro since season 1 episode 1 and her laying into Kenny about his dead family and then pretending to have got the baby killed? gently caress that. gently caress you Jane. That's enough to make any guy fly off the handle so you got yourself killed with your lovely 'point' making. Kenny made good on his promise to get me and AJ to safety. It was horrible leaving him but I couldn't throw it in his face after getting this far.

Also I didn't unlock any achievements so I guess I gotta replay it again which I really don't want to do. My choices from episode 4 still aren't showing up either so does that mean I have to play that again as well? Pfft. Unless season 3 is about Kenny or Clem I don't think I'll bother with it. Kenny and Clem ARE the Walking Dead for me. I don't want to play any version without them.

And what the hell happened to Christa? I was so sure it was going to be her at the Wellington fence.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Volt Catfish posted:

I finished Season 2. Everything that happened was all fine well and good but where the gently caress is Christa!?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. at the settlement, you can actually ask the guard "Hey, anybody named Christa in there?" - obviously not, of course. Clem's response is basically "welp, OK" to the whole thing.

I really would like to see how they go forward if a third Season is planned. Adult Clem? I kind of doubt it. It's going to be hard for them to take into account all the deterministic stuff that's happened over two seasons and be able to piece together a coherent continuing narrative. The end of S1 was very conclusive: you have to make a case for all you've done to hopefully help Clem live a better life. S2 doesn't have so much of this: you walk off into the sunset in one of a few different ways, only to conclude... what? If you tried to be a peacemaker and a saint and keep the two groups from hating each other, then keep the final group from eating itself, you haven't succeeded: all the people you know save maybe Kenny are either dead or run off due to circumstances that you couldn't really influence in a lot of cases (Sarita, Sarah, Nick, etc etc.) In that sense maybe just the ending with Clem + Baby makes the most sense: this is the prize that being independent and making adult-sized judgements has earned you.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 27, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was really cool how Telltale made me think Jane was a harsh but nice big sisterly type but then the twist was that she's actually history's greatest monster.

Cool. Coolcoolcoolcool.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

VJeff posted:

It was really cool how Telltale made me think Jane was a harsh but nice big sisterly type but then the twist was that she's actually history's greatest monster.

Cool. Coolcoolcoolcool.

I think even worse than how evil she is is what a monumentally idiotic plan that was.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kill Kenny erryday.

Dude was an aggressive dick who was constantly convinced he was right and could not accept challenges to his authority. He didn't understand the concept of diplomacy or tact, was never going to get over the death of Katjaa and Duck, and was never going to be happy in a community he didn't control (because he would convince himself that he could do it better). With the amount of poo poo he had gone through, and the amount of poo poo he was likely to continue going through, it was practically a mercy killing. Kenny's a bro and all, but sometimes you gotta let a bro go.

Jane should have been introduced earlier in the season so we could get a better look at her own litany of issues. I also wish that choosing to go with her was less binary than "Forgive" or "Get hosed *flips bird*". By the end of the season, I was exactly back where I was at the end of Episode 1: wanting to leave all these fuckers behind so I could go find Christa.

I did like the "Go with Jane, accept family" ending. The kid's comment at the end and Clem's practical eye-rolling dismissal of it was fantastic for showing how far she's come/fallen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Lee. :unsmith:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Man, what's the deal with wanting to find Christa? She was salty towards Clem for a very, very long time after Omid died. There's no way she would have put up with our poo poo if she had had any other choice.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Glory of Arioch posted:

Man, what's the deal with wanting to find Christa? She was salty towards Clem for a very, very long time after Omid died. There's no way she would have put up with our poo poo if she had had any other choice.
To be fair to Christa, she was a pregnant woman who lost her husband (they weren't married but may as well have been) and is implied have miscarried. She was kind of salty but she still cared about Clem, enough to not just drop her in the woods and leave for good. Plus she was one of the best cast additions in the later part of season 1.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress kenny it's pretty much entirely his stubborn rear end fault the group dissolved and everything that happened because of it. And gently caress Jane too for that dumbass super manipulate plan she made because clem kinda like someone as much as her

Glory of Arioch posted:

Telling jane and kenny to gently caress off and raise the baby with Christa who isn't insane would have made the story come back around nicely

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 27, 2014

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Man what a trip, got a little freaked out when I finished it and my choices didn't appear so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replay it before season 3 to get my choices to stick? Anyway it was tumultuous ride, going to lay out my thoughts as best I can so sorry if this ends up rambling:

Since the hostility of the cabin crew during episode 1 I'd been leaning towards sending Clem down a loner's path, but I didn't think that's what Lee would have wanted for her so I kept trying to work for group harmony as well. Around mid episode 4 however I was starting to lose hope, it seemed like Clem was some kind of bad luck charm that was doomed to never be able to save anyone and bring misfortune to everyone around her. The campfire scene in the transformer station gave me a little glimmer of hope that maybe the group didn't have to tear itself apart but that died with Luke. Once Luke was dead despite my best efforts I knew it was all over, I didn't even care that Kenny was abusing Arvo any more. Bonny and Mike betray you, Jane and Kenny can't lay off eachother for five loving minutes, basically this is a universe where you can't have more than two people in one place for any length of time without ending up with a murder on your hands. Kill Kenny, tell Jane to go gently caress herself for being a manipulative oval office, Clem and AJ can by just fine on their own.

In terms of greater context of the story, I've noticed that Jane and Kenny have very similar histories. The real difference between them is that Katja killed herself before she became a burden while Jane had to leave her sister behind. Probably would've done a world of good for both of them to talk about that poo poo before things came to a head.

Ultimately I think TT ended up pandering to Kenny fans to the detriment of the story, even rewarding blind faith in him with the endings. The build up to the ending sequence took some hard core stupidity on Jane's part that I suspect wasn't always there but was added to allow for more Kenny positive endings, in the process it destroyed Jane's character and ruined Kenny's character arc.

Edit:

Oh and I know some people didn't like the Lee flashback but I think it was a great idea, I was so blind with anger after Arvo shot Clem I don't think I could have made any reasonable choices afterwards without Lee's soothing voice to calm me down.

CheeseThief fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 27, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Theory about Season 3

You play as Christa as she makes her own way through the world, trying to move past the pain of her past, do you try and find Clem or forge your own path?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Finished the game, and rewound immediately In case anyone is wondering if they should try out Jane's ending, it is severely underwhelming. I couldn't believe it was over after the little kid says "Nice hat."

Kenny all the time.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Theory about Season 3

You play as Christa as she makes her own way through the world, trying to move past the pain of her past, do you try and find Clem or forge your own path?

I bet they'll make DLC for this game from Christa's point of view.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Theory about Season 3

In season 3 you play as kenny but you only ever have one option and it always fucks everything up.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Theory about Season 3

Honestly I wouldn't mind that or a season about Clem, Omid and Christa's six month adventures all leading up to Omid's death. It could also work as a short DLC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Definitely a disappointment and I'm a Kenny fan. I know a lot of people don't like him but it was annoying, especially in this episode, how the game really tries to make you hate him. I loving get it, game, he's losing it! I almost expected him to kill himself if Clementine chooses to go with him.

I did still like the season over all and am curious how Season 3 can go with all the multiple endings. Christa DLC definitely makes sense for another bridge between the seasons.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 27, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ending stuff:

Chose to leave with Kenny. You don't leave friends behind, even the crazy ones :unsmith:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

Definitely a disappointment and I'm a Kenny fan. I know a lot of people don't like him but it was annoying, especially in this episode, how the game really tries to make you hate him. I loving get it, game, he's losing it! I almost expected him to kill himself if Clementine chooses to go with him.

I did still like the season over all and am curious how Season 3 can go with all the multiple endings. Christa DLC definitely makes sense for another bridge between the seasons.

It's funny how hard the game makes you try to hate him, but then oops, three of the characters gently caress you by stealing away in the night with supplies and shoot you, turns out he might have been right about a couple of things. Though he was still pretty crazy.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Did Bonnie die at the lake with Luke for anyone else? I chose to cover Luke with the gun and she gets fed up, tries to help him and they BOTH fall through the ice. Only Mike and Arvo tried to rob the car from me at the cabin. I was a bit surprised to find out that Bonnie can live and that she joins up with the traitors!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Riled Shareef posted:

Did Bonnie die at the lake with Luke for anyone else? I chose to cover Luke with the gun and she gets fed up, tries to help him and they BOTH fall through the ice. Only Mike and Arvo tried to rob the car from me at the cabin. I was a bit surprised to find out that Bonnie can live and that she joins up with the traitors!
That's really weird because I did the same thing and Bonnie got out of the lake on her own.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
*Doubleposted due to the forum lagging.*

LazyArtifact
Mar 23, 2006

Riled Shareef posted:

Yeah, the same happened in my game too. I wonder what determines that. I was hesitant when she told me I was lighter and that I should go, so maybe that's part of it.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Riled Shareef posted:

That's what happened with me.

Accordion Man posted:

That's really weird because I did the same thing and Bonnie got out of the lake on her own.

Huh, that's odd. I wonder what determined her death. Did you not kill all the walkers?

e: f;b

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Finally had time to finish it. Better than I expected. Worse than I hoped.

That was an incredibly stupid plan. Incredibly. And the bar is pretty high this season in regards to plot-related stupidity.

I got the nice warm Clem, Kenny+baby FAMILY forever and reading the other choices it was probably the more satisfying option, but I am very much looking forward to letting my true feelings go/get the achievements when fixed play with a cathartic kill them all and leave on my own choice, because they are all written as hideous broken incompetent monsters for maximum drama.)

Was disappointed with the Arvo resolution. He was glaring at Clem for putting his zombie sister down from the start, so it was clear he wasn't going to co-operate. I don't think it would have been a lot of effort to have the option to execute him or let Kenny finish the job when you get to the shelter, then have that be the catalyst that makes Bonnie and Mike flee, having one of them shoot Clem as they try to flee, but I can understand why he was plotarmoured. Them suddenly betraying everyone without mentioning it to Clem seemed to come out of nowhere.

I don't know if i'll preorder another Telltale game, as i'm not interested in the other IPs they're working on (and I can tell it's extremely unlikely they'll do a S2 of TWAU :(), but I did enjoy the series overall despite it's flaws.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

IncendiaC posted:

Huh, that's odd. I wonder what determined her death. Did you not kill all the walkers?

e: f;b
I killed them all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 27, 2014

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Mike betraying Clem like that makes no sense. I would have actually gone with them if it meant taking everyone but Kenny and they had loving asked me, but since they didn't I'm disappointed there was no execute the traitors option. I shot Kenny (of course) and then when Jane revealed her insane plan said gently caress this Clem is better off on her own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I lost it at Lee as the game related all the major choices to Lilly and Duck (Ghost Lee sounded a lot like what I had him as) and when Kenny told Clem as he lay dying that it wasn't her fault. Going back to Carver's with Jane is lovely though.

Is Christa at Wellington? Or is it deserted?

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
I don't think this Season matched up with Season 1 but I did like just how vulnerable I felt playing as Clem. Unlike Season 1, I really struggled with some of the choices and didn't feel like I'd made the 'best' choice a lot of the time. I at least had some kind of leadership role as Lee so could live with my choices. Things felt so much more volatile this time around.

For the ending I shot Kenny. As Lee, I felt like I could keep Kenny in check. I could intervene when he was being too headstrong and could challenge him when he was getting angry with the group. I never felt like I could do that as Clem and so I had begun to side more and more with Luke who seemed to be more respectful and willing to listen. As this episode went on I basically felt like I was trying to negotiate with Jack Torrance from The Shining or something. I felt like even if Kenny was right it would just encourage him to push through with whatever bullshit ideas he's formulated to keep himself going - just dragging the rest of the group towards whatever he thought was on the horizon regardless of how mentally and (later) physically damaging his actions are. I was pretty sure he'd either snap when AJ died (probably the final straw) or get more dangerous in his attempts to keep AJ alive.

I wasn't really too sympathetic to Jane but she seemed to respect Clem's choices. She did seem remorseful having to explain her bullshit plan so I just kept quiet hoping she'd realize how stupid she'd been. I guess I felt kind of vindicated when she was leaving Clem call the shots in the final scene.

I just wish it was Luke and Clem at the end :(

Overall pretty good. Not quite sure if I'd like a Season 3 at this point.

Stim fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 27, 2014

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Season 3?

Nate.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I lost it at Lee as the game related all the major choices to Lilly and Duck (Ghost Lee sounded a lot like what I had him as) and when Kenny told Clem as he lay dying that it wasn't her fault. Going back to Carver's with Jane is lovely though.

Is Christa at Wellington? Or is it deserted?

If you got the Wellington ending they tell you she isn't there, and Clem just kind of shrugs it off. But the existence of Wellington seems determinant on your choices. I ended up back at Howe's Hardware, and the family that showed up there said that they'd been up north, but sounded sort of disappointed about it, like they hadn't found anything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Everyone the entire season was talking mad poo poo on Kenny behind his back but Kenny didn't actually really do anything wrong. Did people not convince him to wait till the next day or something? I keep seeing "He never wanted to discuss anything with anyone!" but he totally did, he flat out said he was going to bed and gonna try to talk it out the next day and mike and the others betrayed everyone. Kenny, seriously didn't do anything wrong

Also Jane is literally the stranger from season 1 if the stranger tried to pit Clem against Lee

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 27, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the fact Kenny beat the poo poo out of a crippled russian kid who couldn't fight back because he ran when he saw zombies (That entire scene was fuckign stupid) is a pretty wrong thing to do. The tone of the scene even paints it as him doing a bad thing. Kenny straight up flattens this kid for no reason other than HE THINKS he's lying and it's not until someone puts irrefutable evidence in front of him that he stops.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
What the loving christ Kenny? Don't thank me for shooting you, you twit. loving christ.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I haven't paid attention to season 2 at all but I saw its on sale. Whatsup is it a good season?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beef Waifu posted:

I think the fact Kenny beat the poo poo out of a crippled russian kid who couldn't fight back because he ran when he saw zombies (That entire scene was fuckign stupid) is a pretty wrong thing to do. The tone of the scene even paints it as him doing a bad thing.

I thought it was kind of obvious that Arvo was trying to get them all killed, I get the feeling he was leading them through areas hoping for zombie ambushes like the one you barely averted and when he saw the zombies and everyone getting scared was like "poo poo yeah finally!" and booked it. People are surprised Arvo shot Clem but that entire scene Arvo is loving GLARING at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The reaction is pretty mixed, it's only 10 bucks to get all of it which is good, but you might not want to take that risk.

• Locked thread