Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Link Between Worlds is so loving good. I haven't even gone into any of the Lorule Dungeons yet, because I'm just busy walking around, exploring and collecting things. I thought I was going to have a "I hate this mini-game" experience with the baseball thing, but once I got past the learning curve, it was pretty fun, and I actually think it's easier than the dash mini-game.

It's a crime that this thing is only on handheld, because my brother would love it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

chumbler posted:

I felt like playing some Titanfall 2 due to discussion here so after several months of not playing it apparently I have to download 14 gigs of updates :psyduck:. I thought they only added a couple maps and mechs.

14gb of good rear end content, friend.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pagingn corn in the bible http://store.steampowered.com/app/656900/RHEM_I_SE_The_Mysterious_Land/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_11

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I can get Fallout 4 on the PS4 for $10. Worth it?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

You probably know if you'll enjoy it or not, I only played about a dozen hours but if you are a fan of the previous games there is certainly content to be enjoyed in there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

It's Fallout 3 with better graphics and worse writing, if that's worth $10 is up to you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Fallout 3 with better graphics and worse writing, if that's worth $10 is up to you.

How is it even possible to have worse writing than 3

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think I'm asking about FO4 every couple of months and I'm never really convinced because deep down I know it's not worth it but at the same time I want to believe. In the end I'd probably buy this game if it was a GOTY edition with all the DLC for $5 or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

How is it even possible to have worse writing than 3

HATE NEWS

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I know that there's a FO4 mod that actually turns those moronic dialogue choices into full-blown sentences like in the previous games (still no ability checks though rip) so if I ever play it I'll definitely use that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh wait, that means I need to play the PC version anyway so nevermind about that question.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so tired of goons being negative fuckin nancies about everything

Fallout 4 is fun and goofy and the writing is more than serviceable for the kind of game it wants to be. What they learned from Fallout 3 is that taking itself way too seriously was an awful idea and so 4 is a much more pulpy adventure that touches on the usual "what is a human REALLY" themes in an interesting way that is integrated into the gameplay.

The core gameplay is hugely improved from the previous 3D Fallouts and the shooting actually feels good this time around, which imo is the most important thing. They streamlined the inventory to not look and function so poorly which even New Vegas was unable to do for the pedestal people put that game on. The new wasteland has a whole bunch of stuff to explore off the grid and the graphics are really drat good with a new hand-painted texture look to them. If you can find it for cheap on sale you definitely should pick it up if you like the other 3D Fallout games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 15, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fallout 4 is a G2F4 game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a GTFO game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Skyrim and FO3 even though I acknowledge their flaws. I loved New Vegas.

I played FO4 for under 10 hours before I quit out of boredom.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a GTFO game

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I really couldn't get into New Vegas. I loved how Fallout 3 started with the whole being cast out from the vault thing it felt like you were setup to be an important character in the universe. The whole being shot and left for dead thing in New Vegas just felt like they wanted a sequel and would shoe-horn any plot device they could to make it work.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can see what people like about Skyrim but Fallout 4 is a much worse game in pretty much every way.

I hope Fallout 4 was half-assed because it would be sad if it took a whole rear end to make it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of how in Dead Island one of the protagonists has a skill that makes the team members do more damage to the opposite sex and it was called "feminist whore" in the code :rolleyes:

I think that the actual game should be judged by how it actually plays out in practice and not what's under the hood- the article I found mentions that the code leads to different and more realistic results than it implies thanks to other coding involved. But what it says about the developer themselves is definitely important. Like the Dead Island thing, that code is there telling what's actually going on as well as the opinions of those who coded it, and you can't hide it from people who pry the game open.
The thing that's always been interesting about simulations to me is writing a simulation is just about the most insanely political statement possible you can make in a computer program, it's a manifesto in c++. Simulations (especially simple ones in games) always have certain foundational principles and biases that reflect the authors views, for better or worse. Like SimCity and other city building games generally do a poor job of reflecting the intricacies of city planning and usually encourage you to build super regressive cities that would awful to live in in actuality. I always appreciated the Will Wright games though being very transparent about citing sources and attempting to explain and justify their model while also pointing out areas where realism was compromised in the interest of making a good game. The SimEarth manual in particular is very good and id suggest people track down a pdf of it. It was this massive ring bound thing that was half instructional manual/half thesis for environmental simulation as the developers and their influencers understood and chose to model it.

It's probably valuable that you can disassemble a program so personal that it's a window into the author's soul, the Rimworld gently caress.exe manifesto was a bad sim but you probably couldn't learn as much looking at the way they wrote their UI code or whatever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm a few weeks behind the rest of the internet here but Oats Studios' Firebase is probably the closest thing to live-action Metal Gear Solid I've ever seen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Macarius Wrench posted:

I really couldn't get into New Vegas. I loved how Fallout 3 started with the whole being cast out from the vault thing it felt like you were setup to be an important character in the universe. The whole being shot and left for dead thing in New Vegas just felt like they wanted a sequel and would shoe-horn any plot device they could to make it work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Vegas is all right but everytime I think about replaying it I'm reminded of inventory anxiety and having right stats allocated to pass certain speech checks and I just don't wanna be bothered.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
RIP YCS, forever memorialized by the fallout new vegas YCS gun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

The thing that's always been interesting about simulations to me is writing a simulation is just about the most insanely political statement possible you can make in a computer program, it's a manifesto in c++. Simulations (especially simple ones in games) always have certain foundational principles and biases that reflect the authors views, for better or worse. Like SimCity and other city building games generally do a poor job of reflecting the intricacies of city planning and usually encourage you to build super regressive cities that would awful to live in in actuality. I always appreciated the Will Wright games though being very transparent about citing sources and attempting to explain and justify their model while also pointing out areas where realism was compromised in the interest of making a good game. The SimEarth manual in particular is very good and id suggest people track down a pdf of it. It was this massive ring bound thing that was half instructional manual/half thesis for environmental simulation as the developers and their influencers understood and chose to model it.

It's probably valuable that you can disassemble a program so personal that it's a window into the author's soul, the Rimworld gently caress.exe manifesto was a bad sim but you probably couldn't learn as much looking at the way they wrote their UI code or whatever.
it reminds me of how civ is always jerking off about how it's a celebration of all of human history and togetherness and the splendor of life and stuff and then the barbarians are literally the same as the wild animals in the code :thinking:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you're putting FO3 and NV in the same bag called 3D Fallouts then that's the lack of nuance that makes it pretty meaningless to me. FO3 was boring to me and had pointless exploration while NV was really interesting and I loved exploring it. I never finished FO3 or Skyrim because after the initial good impression they were empty games with generic boring content. If FO4 is that poo poo but with better combat then welp, thanks for making the decision clear to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If that's what you took from my post then it's not the game for you anyway my man :shrug:

edit: It's seriously like you almost read my post and then saw the words 'fallout 3' and your eyes glazed over, I really don't get it

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 15, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

it reminds me of how civ is always jerking off about how it's a celebration of all of human history and togetherness and the splendor of life and stuff and then the barbarians are literally the same as the wild animals in the code :thinking:

It's Peter Molydeux's newest hit: Uncivilization! Play as a group of hunter gatherers and work to tear down the generations of technological advances and societal development that have risen up around you by using warfare, subterfuge, and diplomacy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

It's Peter Molydeux's newest hit: Uncivilization! Play as a group of hunter gatherers and work to tear down the generations of technological advances and societal development that have risen up around you by using warfare, subterfuge, and diplomacy.

That's called Horizon Zero Dawn

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I liked it better when it was called populous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

pointing out areas where realism was compromised in the interest of making a good game. The SimEarth manual in particular is very good and id suggest people track down a pdf of it. It was this massive ring bound thing that was half instructional manual/half thesis for environmental simulation as the developers and their influencers understood and chose to model it.

I read that manual cover to cover and still remember DaisyWorld! Also all the stuff with the trichordates. I really liked SimEarth as a kid, which is probably surprising since there's very little "game" to it and is mostly about how you can mess with the variables of the simulation

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I knew Wreck-It-Ralph 2 was going to be more about The Internet than Video Games but...

quote:

In a very rough clip shown to a panel of fans at Disney’s D23 panel, Yesss tried to explain to the two video game characters the benefits — and consequences — that come with being on the internet. At one point, Ralph asks Yesss how things go viral and Yesss spends the next portion of the video explaining blogs, social media and how fandom has taken over the internet.

I didn't realize how much of the internet they were going to explore.

I hope Ralph doesn't meet any bad memes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

If that's what you took from my post then it's not the game for you anyway my man :shrug:

edit: It's seriously like you almost read my post and then saw the words 'fallout 3' and your eyes glazed over, I really don't get it
No, I read your post but I guess it's more about the personal preference of why people play the new Fallout games. To me it comes down to good writing, environmental storytelling and how much my choices matter, I wasn't really big on the sandbox or the combat aspect, it was always pretty mediocre and only worked when you upgraded enough to one-shot everything. My reaction was to the last sentence which states 'if you liked 3D Fallouts' which in my case is such a broad condition spanning from 'you accept bad content and tedium' to 'you like interesting games with meaningful choices' that I'm starting to see the entire post differently and wonder where your threshold for what an acceptable Fallout game is lies.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Liveposting from a 1-day anime convention that's near me

A gerudo link cosplayer just walked by and there's a deadpool near me with some random music playing and the opening ceremony is going on right now, with the opening ceremony being this lady who has been at the previous 1-day cons and she's a singer/guitarist except she's not good. She's singing this song right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuXHGIMS5H8

:rip: me

Lol some people just got up and left the room she's singing in whenever she started doing the actual song stuff

e: I'm gonna go to some panels later tho and have fun and I hope everybody else has a fun day today :)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Liveposting from a 1-day anime convention that's near me

A gerudo link cosplayer just walked by and there's a deadpool near me with some random music playing and the opening ceremony is going on right now, with the opening ceremony being this lady who has been at the previous 1-day cons and she's a singer/guitarist except she's not good. She's singing this song right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuXHGIMS5H8

:rip: me

Lol some people just got up and left the room she's singing in whenever she started doing the actual song stuff

e: I'm gonna go to some panels later tho and have fun and I hope everybody else has a fun day today :)

If you see anyone buying a mystery bag from the Dealer Room give us a heads up.

Surely someone will purchase one and we can solve the mystery.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If you see anyone buying a mystery bag from the Dealer Room give us a heads up.

Surely someone will purchase one and we can solve the mystery.

I see them all the time and I've never seen someone buy one lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to miss the first splatfest of Splatoon 2

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

more like thc yoshisaur munchakoopas

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/pizzadinosaur/status/884856928534278144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm watching a speed cosplay contest thing right now where it was one costume versus another and one team's costume was just "tumblr fairy god who has to avoid triggering people and is powered by memes"

:|

They lost tho

• Locked thread