Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The $3000 autism chariot

order the first card in The Internet Tarot from the Franklin Mint for just $19.95; you'll receive a new one about every other month. Cancel any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

He also has that "buying friends" mentality that drove goons to do poo poo like Doobie's Doghouse or plow hundreds of thousands into Star Citizen.

If you read the original threads there are a ton of goons "Bought a $300 ship :smug:" "Oh yeah? Bought a $500 ship :smug:" "Well *I* bought the $3000 autism chariot for the organization :smug:" "Well *I* bought ten fighters to hand out to newbies :smug:"

Clifford is just doing it into the void of the internet without encouragement which is worse than when a community feels peer pressure to one up everyone else's autism chariot fleets.

What like this?

Dude even says his many friends, like he just can't STOP projecting how badly he wants to be included

I feel like he will go completely postal when he finds out the only reason anyone talks to him is because he

A) Probably buys dinner, drinks for everyone whenever they get together

B) Is like that rich kid you knew when you were 10, and had all the cool toys so you'd always go over to play at his house, but he smelled kind of funny and by the age of 15 you weren't allowed to hang out with him anymore because of 'reasons'

C) You can try before you buy any of the ships because he has like 10 of each

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004447252822126594
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004447599691120640
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004465719960977413
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004467109051621376
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004466098547224577
https://twitter.com/ogevanswachtz/status/1004490517386756096

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 7, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As a large fan, I

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
gently caress Star Citizen and all of their delusional fans.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

Blue On Blue posted:

B) Is like that rich kid you knew when you were 10, and had all the cool toys so you'd always go over to play at his house, but he smelled kind of funny and by the age of 15 you weren't allowed to hang out with him anymore because of 'reasons'

Wait, what? Why couldn't you hang out with your rich friend who also smelled bad when you were 15?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pube Factory posted:

Wait, what? Why couldn't you hang out with your rich friend who also smelled bad when you were 15?

reasons man. He said it right there 'reasons'

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
I really enjoyed the GIFs where players would swoop in and crash into spaceships parked at the space station. That pause, where the game was trying to figure out what happened in the collision, and then finally the explosion will always be hilarious. Post swoop death GIFs please.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pube Factory posted:

Because he was weird

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SidAlpha: Let's talk about the Star Citizen fan that threatened my family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1knnIrvr4HE

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

#notallstarcitizenfans - the struggle is real

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The game looks really boring

In order for it to have everything the fans want it to have it'd need to be in development for another 20 years

Right now it's a bad space sim where you can barely do anything

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*buys a ship for 800 dollars*

wow now i can fly this ship around in empty space and do nothing and all this for only 800 dollars

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Zzulu posted:

*buys a ship for 800 dollars*

wow now i can fly this ship around in empty space and do nothing and all this for only 800 dollars
Most of the ships aren't even in the proof-of-concept crysis mod they are billing as the game right now.

The funny thing is that like years ago one of the developers said that (Ship being sold at the time) was the last ship that would make it into a 1.0 gold release of the game and that any future ships would come as later updates to the universe.

So for years people have been paying $500 for space trucks or $900 for torpedo bombers that wouldn't even be in the game for years, even if it actually came out.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 7, 2018

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I forget, did they edit their tos to say no refunds once a whole bunch of goons started trying to get their money back?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Grizzwold posted:

I forget, did they edit their tos to say no refunds once a whole bunch of goons started trying to get their money back?

This is actually a complicated subject because this shitshow has been going on for so long. I'll try and boil it down to the bare minimum cliff notes version.

Goons led the initial push for refunds since Goonrathi was six figures deep. At a certain point goons flipped and became crusaders for refunding. A bunch of people here were bragging as Goons took tens of thousands out of the game a little at a time. People had sporadically been refunding all over more and more as the years passed and each individual person hit their tolerance limit of bullshit.

As more time passed refunds grew and CIG started playing hardball. Goons trying to refund and people elsewhere were exposed to every lovely tactic in the world to try and prevent them from getting their money back. This was all documented by people going through the process at various points but CIG was
    Taking weeks to respond
    Outright lying about if people were entitled to refunds
    Claiming their tech demo was a product that delivered on the sales pitch and fulfilled their obligation
    Claimed their tech demo was a product and that the 14 day limit for refunds of typical products had passed
    Added tags like "Snowflake" and "Goon" to people's accounts to designate how they were to be handled, only to be accidentally found out
    Only provided small, partial refunds and argued that constituted a refund
    Endlessly arguing about all of this, dragging refunds out for months to try and make people give up

People were still getting refunds at this point and CIG kept loving up, dragging their pitiful barely-classified as patches to their tech demo out for years so that more people wanted out but a huge shift happened when they updated the Terms of Service.

They had originally had some minor TOS changes, but the big one was involving a core promise that caused a lot of people to buy in. The release date for the game originally was 2014 so they had a clause in their TOS that said "If the game goes beyond it's release date by (X Amount of time) we will release a full financial accounting of every dollar spent in (Y Amount of Time)" this meant that since the game didn't release in 2014 that in July 2016 they were legally obligated to release a full financial accounting. In 2012 this seemed like a fantastic promise and came with Chris Robert's digital signature as a love letter to the fans so they spent a bunch of money.

So they updated the TOS a few days before the deadline, deleting that clause entirely. They then filled the TOS with about 20 different ways of saying you will never get a refund and are never entitled to a refund. Then anyone that tried to refund was told they were subject to this terms of service because that was the current revision, even if nobody had agreed to it.

That's what caused Streetroller to get his large refund that made news headlines. CIG had started fighting refunds so hard they were providing fake tracking numbers to paypal to get them to deny claims that they "Delivered nothing." This is when people started bringing in the authorities and contacting district attorneys to force CIG to give refunds.

After that goons started the r/starcitizen_refunds subreddit to walk everyone through the process of getting a refund and document how hard they were being fought since you now had to almost file a lawsuit to get your spaceship money back.

The most current news is rumors that they are trying to deny all refunds by simply ignoring them.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i wish i hadn't stayed on the internet long enough to see the Hitler card become the Doxxing and Harassment card.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Saint Drogo posted:

i wish i hadn't stayed on the internet long enough to see the Hitler card become the Doxxing and Harassment card.

Congratulations. As a member of Something Awful Forums you are responsible for anything bad that happens, to anyone, in regards to Star Citizen.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

This is actually a complicated subject because this shitshow has been going on for so long. I'll try and boil it down to the bare minimum cliff notes version.

Goons led the initial push for refunds since Goonrathi was six figures deep. At a certain point goons flipped and became crusaders for refunding. A bunch of people here were bragging as Goons took tens of thousands out of the game a little at a time. People had sporadically been refunding all over more and more as the years passed and each individual person hit their tolerance limit of bullshit.

As more time passed refunds grew and CIG started playing hardball. Goons trying to refund and people elsewhere were exposed to every lovely tactic in the world to try and prevent them from getting their money back. This was all documented by people going through the process at various points but CIG was
    Taking weeks to respond
    Claiming their tech demo was a product that delivered on the sales pitch and fulfilled their obligation
    Claimed their tech demo was a product and that the 14 day limit for refunds of typical products had passed
    Added tags like "Snowflake" and "Goon" to people's accounts to designate how they were to be handled, only to be accidentally found out
    Endlessly arguing about all of this, dragging refunds out for months to try and make people give up

People were still getting refunds at this point and CIG kept loving up, dragging their pitiful barely-classified as patches to their tech demo out for years so that more people wanted out but a huge shift happened when they updated the Terms of Service.

They had originally had some minor TOS changes, but the big one was involving a core promise that caused a lot of people to buy in. The release date for the game originally was 2014 so they had a clause in their TOS that said "If the game goes beyond it's release date by (X Amount of time) we will release a full financial accounting of every dollar spent in (Y Amount of Time)" this meant that since the game didn't release in 2014 that in July 2016 they were legally obligated to release a full financial accounting. In 2012 this seemed like a fantastic promise and came with Chris Robert's digital signature as a love letter to the fans so they spent a bunch of money.

So they updated the TOS a few days before the deadline, deleting that clause entirely. They then filled the TOS with about 20 different ways of saying you will never get a refund and are never entitled to a refund. Then anyone that tried to refund was told they were subject to this terms of service because that was the current revision, even if nobody had agreed to it.

That's what caused Streetroller to get his large refund that made news headlines. CIG had started fighting refunds so hard they were providing fake tracking numbers to paypal to get them to deny claims that they "Delivered nothing." This is when people started bringing in the authorities and contacting district attorneys to force CIG to give refunds.

After that goons started the r/starcitizen_refunds subreddit to walk everyone through the process of getting a refund and document how hard they were being fought since you now had to almost file a lawsuit to get your spaceship money back.

The most current news is rumors that they are trying to deny all refunds by simply ignoring them.

:psyduck:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, it's hard to glean the choice insanity out of the mock threads sometimes. Things like doorgate/chairgate/wulfdickgate get buried under the nonstop chatnoise.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Butcher posted:

I tried to get my $40 OG backer money refunded for this poo poo like 3 years ago and got totally stonewalled.

Came in with a sob story about how my family was financially dying due to some medical issue, just need the money back now, totally believe in you guys, best game ever and will buy back in later when it's done, oh and hey I see your tracker says you've got like $30 million bucks in backers so far. Even escalated it to the CS management, totally polite and respectful, just wanting to save my family from financial ruin, they were just like noooope our money now.

Stone cold. Dunno how you other early guys managed to get your money back.

Seriously delayed but: I mentioned Im Australian and dumped a copy paste of the ACL and a case Vs Valve in the Australia supreme court. They caved instantly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
thank u VictorianQueerLit for the summary

:stonk:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
That's about 20% of the insanity too. I left out a bunch of little details, like when they denied Streetroller's refund multiple times and he contacted the Attorney General they claimed he was trying to get a refund from the wrong company, since they have over 15 shell corporations involved in making this video game.

They are also using the wrong company defense in the lawsuit Crytek has brought against them by claiming that Shell Company #4 agreed to something Shell Company #12 didn't or that Crytek is addressing Shell Company #5 in it's complaint, when it should be referencing Shell Company #7.

However much anyone wants to debate that this started as a real game project with nothing nefarious going on it's been outright illegal for years and it's weird how the authorities are apparently going to just let them do whatever they want. People have been mass reporting them to the feds ever since they missed their release date in 2014 but nothing. Even Butterfly labs had a crackdown because they didn't deliver products people had paid for and Star Citizen is years beyond it's release date, still in pre-alpha tweaking a $200,000,000 Crysis mod.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 7, 2018

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Bobcats posted:

is the game even playable

is it even fun

Candy Crush? No, but its not really a game, more of a cash extraction program.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a pity that last I heard, Crytek is too broke to drag CIG out into a knock-down nightmare lawsuit.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Star Citizen is years beyond it's release date, still in pre-alpha tweaking a $200,000,000 Crysis mod.

This is the best summary for this whole poo poo show.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Taking weeks to respond

small corrections to this.

Goons actually flipped gradually the turning point was when Eonwe did self imposed exile from the thread for set amount of time prophetizating that game would still remain a mess when he returned. (involved goon donating to charity to stop eonwe from posting in the SC thread)
I think the whole mass refund wave started with streetroller who at that time wasnt a goon. He later became one.
Goons gradually got out by selling ships in greymarket. I think refunding in massive scale started after streetroller case.
I think whole gloating thing was more of users registering in SA after getting refund, because SC thread had that critical tone lacking from elsewhere.
The whole snowflake fiasco was exposed by greymarket trader who had been marked as snowflake, later goons discovered goon tag etc...
i dont remember fake paypal tracking numbers. I do remember some goons getting refunds from Twin Bro's company that was completely unrelated to RSI/Cig (but which had ties to ascendant pictures) .
The whole lawyer thing was mostly about EU laws. And avoiding negative better business bureau reviews
Derek did call that 3.0 marked the end of refunds, outside of 2 refunds this seems to be the case.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 7, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The part I don't get is that you can play the game in its current state and its not very good. Like it is right there, and its poo poo

for all to see

So why do they keep giving them money and faith

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fartbox posted:

The part I don't get is that you can play the game in its current state and its not very good. Like it is right there, and its poo poo

for all to see

Because "iiiiiiiit's alphaaaaaaaa"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

for all to see

The hoi polloi are massively, massively ignorant about the actual process of game development.

Those who are in denial doubly so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

The hoi polloi are massively, massively ignorant about the actual process of game development.

Those who are in denial doubly so.

To be fair I wouldn't necessarily call the devs trusted experts on the process either at this point

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
LOL The internet has broken so many minds that literally any sign that any community might be bad is instantly argued to be a FALSE FLAG.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So, is there any possability of saving game assets? When the trashcan fire finally spreads, is there anything useful that could be gleaned from their poo poo show? I know they have a ton of motion capture stuff and other things.

Could you even transfer that to another gane engine?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Fartbox posted:

for all to see

one of the weirdest things about SC fans is that they're mentally stuck in the 90s and think there are no other games.

except Enemy Games.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Rad-daddio posted:

So, is there any possability of saving game assets? When the trashcan fire finally spreads, is there anything useful that could be gleaned from their poo poo show? I know they have a ton of motion capture stuff and other things.

That's a problem for the bankruptcy court.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I still think there's a valid case for fraud. I'm not a legal expert, but "take lots of money from people and justify it with a shoddy farce for a product" seems like a slam dunk for a DA. Also, I bet if you dug real deep into the accounting and emails you'd find legit fraud evidence.

I know that other companies have eaten poo poo for doing far less than SC.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Inkel posted:

if we're posting about Clifford in this thread, don't forget to post his ridiculous tornado pc case which he uses to stream to <10 viewers on Mixer

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/982431376879378432

Nice space heater

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rad-daddio posted:

Even if you could I'm pretty certain they'd be just as shoddily built and impossible to use in any other engine. That's the funny thing about modeling a space boot with 500,000,000 polygons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Saint Drogo posted:

one of the weirdest things about SC fans is that they're mentally stuck in the 90s and think there are no other games.

except Enemy Games.

iirc there weren't many current gen space sims when star citizen was announced, maybe not any at all (except X3 which kind of sucked). Since then there's been Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and a whole bunch of other stuff and they all kind of sucked as well. it turned out that people stopped making space sims because they're boring and bad

but star citizen was kind of the only game in the genre until all the other games got made years before SC

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 7, 2018