Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I know friends who love the Tangled series being mad about it's getting jerked around scheduling wise - you would think a Princess series would get more attention and care but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah my daughter lost interest in the show when it bounced around but has recently picked it back up. It’s quite nice that they managed to keep all the original voice cast and I liked the animation style.

Did they keep Tambor around after his public accusals or did they drop him? It would be weird if Disney booted him from one property (Star) while keeping him here, but I don’t see anyone else credited for the role on the Wikipedia entry.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Tambor’s character hasn’t shown up in a long time but that’s more of a function of how season 2’s plot worked than the character being actively written out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PierreTheMime posted:

Did they keep Tambor around after his public accusals or did they drop him? It would be weird if Disney booted him from one property (Star) while keeping him here, but I don’t see anyone else credited for the role on the Wikipedia entry.
Ahhh, misread this.

I'd attribute Tambor's departure from Star to the showrunner more than anything.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You should still totally watch Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars. (and keep in mind it was made before Rogue One, one of the first things Disney did with the license in fact)

Pity that Disney basically never acknowledges its TV animation output most of the time, Lilo and Stitch aside which for some insane reason had crossovers with literally every cartoon Disney had going around that time. (being basically the swan song for many) I suppose it's probably because Disney's movies are the only franchises that are likely to be recognised in Japan, while I have no idea but I kinda doubt that Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and even DuckTales necessarily have a significant audience there.

Lilo and Stich is extremely popular in Japan to the point that it got an anime series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
STICH is popular; Lilo is despised.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Lilo and Stich is extremely popular in Japan to the point that it got an anime series.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes. It got a new series that is actually canon to the original series and movies despite a lot of fans hating this.

Lilo is hated in Japan because she's seen as ungrateful and rude where as in the US, she's seen as someone to be pitied and cared for because she's lonely and has a broken family. Japan doesn't give two fucks about that and she's considered a horrible role model to children...which to be fair...she kind of is.

So, the anime sequel has Stitch leave Hawaii after Lilo grows up and ends up moving to Japan meeting a Japanese girl and having adventures there. Lilo actually visits Japan and has a daughter with her...who looks exactly like she did when she was a little girl. Exactly. Adult Lilo kind of looks like Nani.

But yeah, a lot of fans of Lilo and Stitch I know like to consider Stitch! to be non-canonical just because "Stitch would never EVER leave Lilo." ...Except people grow up and grow apart or just go different places. So...yeah.

Maybe they should've made another L&S movie to bridge the anime with the American stuff and put WIR2's message in it but do it better. They could include the Princesses too because why not? Recess, American Dragon, Kim Possible, and The Proud Family exist canonically in the L&S world anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Maybe they should've made another L&S movie...

No thanks. I love L&S1, but Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch was loving terrible.
(My bluray had the sequel as the only special feature for L&S1. I was surprised how little of a poo poo Disney seemed to give.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

But yeah, a lot of fans of Lilo and Stitch I know like to consider Stitch! to be non-canonical just because "Stitch would never EVER leave Lilo." ...Except people grow up and grow apart or just go different places. So...yeah.

the problem is, they don't just drift apart, Lilo explicitly abandons Stitch because she got bored of him. i don't consider it "non-canonical" because devoting that much mental energy to disney canon is stupid, but... it feels like the makers of the anime just decided to blatantly ignore the central theme of the movie so they could make the loud brown girl go away.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Man those soundalikes for Buzz and Woody are dire. Not sounding exactly like Tom Hanks and Tim Allen isn't that big a deal but they're so flat and tired, you can't even chalk it up to context because we've seen Woody doing action in Woody's Round-Up and Buzz Lightyear thinking he's a space ranger and even when being serious they have a lot of energy and inflection.

I looked them up and Buzz's guy is some 90s anime voice actor who moved up to being the go-to Buzz Lightyear years ago and Jim Hanks has been doing Woody for over 20 years so I have to imagine it's more of a failure of directing than anything else.

Robindaybird posted:

I know friends who love the Tangled series being mad about it's getting jerked around scheduling wise - you would think a Princess series would get more attention and care but apparently not.

Disney was expecting Tangled to be the breakout hit and DuckTales to be the also-ran and it turned out to be the opposite which shook everything up.

DoctorWhat posted:

The upcoming Pokemon game has a black gym leader in it and it's reignited a lot of the discourse about how racist Japan is and whether or not it's OK to criticize them for it as a bunch of Japanese artists are drawing her light-skinned or even white and it's been really fun seeing how Lilo being replaced with a generically skinny and light-skinned anime girl in Japanese media fits into that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sleeveless posted:

The upcoming Pokemon game has a black gym leader in it and it's reignited a lot of the discourse about how racist Japan is and whether or not it's OK to criticize them for it as a bunch of Japanese artists are drawing her light-skinned or even white and it's been really fun seeing how Lilo being replaced with a generically skinny and light-skinned anime girl in Japanese media fits into that.

Given how much trouble some people in Japan have had in dealing with Ariana Miyamoto and Naomi Osaka, I think it's fair to recognize that they (like the rest of the world) have work to do in eliminating racism.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FilthyImp posted:

Ahhh, misread this.

I'd attribute Tambor's departure from Star to the showrunner more than anything.

Nope, it actually came directly from the network.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the problem is, they don't just drift apart, Lilo explicitly abandons Stitch because she got bored of him. i don't consider it "non-canonical" because devoting that much mental energy to disney canon is stupid, but... it feels like the makers of the anime just decided to blatantly ignore the central theme of the movie so they could make the loud brown girl go away.

Actually, according to the wikia for the franchise, it's worse than that:

Apparently, that's a dub-only thing because there's almost no mention of Lilo in the original anime before episode 23 of season 3 where Lilo shows up in Okinawa with her daughter to visit Stitch.

I guess in the dub, Lilo left for college and that was kind of it. Disney wanted to make it canon to Leroy and Stitch so they added that tidbit but there's no mention of Lilo in the original at all until her appearance.

Japan really hates Lilo, it seems.

EDIT:

Other changes the anime made (which are also canon because why not)

Gantu and Reuben (Experiment 625) are evil again and work for Hamsterviel. Gantu got fired from his Galactic Federation job because he was bad at karaoke. 625 just joins him in being fired because why the gently caress not and he's back to doing nothing but making sandwiches (and adds onigiri/riceballs to the mix too). Gantu has a crush the character in some Japanese TV drama.

Basically, Japan just turned the canon from Leroy and Stitch back to status quo of the show and added some Japanese stuff to it and erased Lilo entirely until her debut in season 3.

I asked a friend of mine who lived in Japan for a while as an English teacher to weigh in on this. He said, to him and what he saw while there, it was more based on Lilo being seen as a bad role model in Japanese culture. Granted, this doesn't mean racism isn't a part of it as well, but Japan is big on culture and apparently Lilo flies in the face of all of that and for that she's not a liked character at all. Stitch himself is seen as "cute" and "fun" and Disney leans on that HARD in Japan.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Japan is *weird* about it, as Chihiro in Spirited Away was seen as a spoiled little brat in Japan despite the fact the worst she did prior to the whole incident is being sad about moving and refusing to eat with her parents... who basically broke into an amusement park and ate poo poo that was NOT THEIRS to take (and thus ended up as pigs) and then a liiittle put out about the situation her idiotic parents put her in before she knuckled down.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, Japan is *weird* about it, as Chihiro in Spirited Away was seen as a spoiled little brat in Japan despite the fact the worst she did prior to the whole incident is being sad about moving and refusing to eat with her parents... who basically broke into an amusement park and ate poo poo that was NOT THEIRS to take (and thus ended up as pigs) and then a liiittle put out about the situation her idiotic parents put her in before she knuckled down.

Chihiro is great! she's a great child!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

As a huge Star Trek fan, let me assure you that what is and isn't "canon" is loving dumb and not worth your brain energy, not to mention a totally artificial concept, but yeah that sucks and it's bad and lame

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

As a huge Star Trek fan, let me assure you that what is and isn't "canon" is loving dumb and not worth your brain energy, not to mention a totally artificial concept, but yeah that sucks and it's bad and lame

Belay that sentiment. Canon is the only thing that matters, and that's why the Internet is a place of polite and learned discourse regarding such things.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sleeveless posted:

Disney was expecting Tangled to be the breakout hit and DuckTales to be the also-ran and it turned out to be the opposite which shook everything up.

Disney should’ve learned after Lion King and Pocahontas to always bet on anthropomorphised animals

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Belay that sentiment. Canon is the only thing that matters, and that's why the Internet is a place of polite and learned discourse regarding such things.

well who has the right to determine what's canon? merely the owners of intellectual property? more so than the actors who played the characters who ultimately wrote a bizarre avante-garde slash stage play performed live at conventions in front of hundreds of "woo"-ing fangirls? don't you DARE talk about STO to me you absolute motehrfuckre . capitalism does NOT own star trek! money is fake!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Disney betting on Tangled over Ducktales is surprising given the massive duck popularity in Europe and South America.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

well who has the right to determine what's canon? merely the owners of intellectual property? more so than the actors who played the characters who ultimately wrote a bizarre avante-garde slash stage play performed live at conventions in front of hundreds of "woo"-ing fangirls? don't you DARE talk about STO to me you absolute motehrfuckre . capitalism does NOT own star trek! money is fake!

This is the only thing I believe is canon:

And it's the best thing to ever come out of Japan. :colbert:

Captain James T. Kirk posted:

This is the starship Enterprise. Our mission is to make friends wherever we go. I'm sorry for scaring you. I want us all to be safe. Even you. Especially you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSrLwHGve4

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah I never got that either. I was actually incredibly surprised to find out she was considered spoiled given that she acted like any normal child going through what she did.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Disney betting on Tangled over Ducktales is surprising given the massive duck popularity in Europe and South America.

I second this. You can likely go ahead and replace South America for Latin America in general. Duck Tales was CRAZY popular when I was a kid living in PR.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHWX8AqYths

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lol, I remember renting this from Blockbuster way back in the day. I'm pretty sure I couldn't figure out how to advance in it, just like the lovely TNG SNES game. The TNG NES game was pretty sweet, though. Nothing quite as relaxing as achieving standard orbit, going to battlestations, and shooting doing Talarian battleships.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, I remember renting this from Blockbuster way back in the day. I'm pretty sure I couldn't figure out how to advance in it, just like the lovely TNG SNES game. The TNG NES game was pretty sweet, though. Nothing quite as relaxing as achieving standard orbit, going to battlestations, and shooting doing Talarian battleships.

I'm in it for the butt trumpet theme and anything with garak being coquettish

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

I'm in it for the butt trumpet theme and anything with garak being coquettish

lmao

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I have the right to determine what is canon, and when I say 'I' I don't mean "it's up to the individual" I mean "I, Space Cadet Omoly, have the sole authority to determine canon specifically".

And thus, by the powers invested in me by my own delusions of grandeur, I declare the true canon of Star Trek to be this: every fanfic ever written that has LGBT pairings or themes and that one episode of Futurama that had the original cast as guest voice actors.

I feel I've made the right decision.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have the right to determine what is canon, and when I say 'I' I don't mean "it's up to the individual" I mean "I, Space Cadet Omoly, have the sole authority to determine canon specifically".

And thus, by the powers invested in me by my own delusions of grandeur, I declare the true canon of Star Trek to be this: every fanfic ever written that has LGBT pairings or themes and that one episode of Futurama that had the original cast as guest voice actors.

I feel I've made the right decision.

I was specifically referring to ds9 where the biggest fan of the most prominent slash pairing was one of the actors, followed closely by one of the writers.

its beautiful here

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm trying to watch Rango but the character design is legit disgusting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
SCO have you not seen ds9? I feel like you'd like it. I've seen you Around. I've seen you Post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Given how much trouble some people in Japan have had in dealing with Ariana Miyamoto and Naomi Osaka, I think it's fair to recognize that they (like the rest of the world) have work to do in eliminating racism.

And some people are making more effort to do so than others. I think there's definitely some writers especially in anime who realise how Japanese society is turbofucking its youth and making desperate cries for help. Same as anywhere else, really.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Calaveron posted:

I'm trying to watch Rango but the character design is legit disgusting

I know, it's phenomenal.

Legit though, I will cut you if you diss my hog

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

SCO have you not seen ds9? I feel like you'd like it. I've seen you Around. I've seen you Post.

For many years now I've been "Star Trek Curious", it seems like something I would like, but I'm a little intimidated to get into it because there's just so much of it and I really don't know the best place to start.

Is Deep Space 9 a place I can start? Can I just like dive in without knowing anything? If you think I should finally make the Star Trek plunge I'll trust you on this, because I've also seen your posts and agree with you on many things.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And some people are making more effort to do so than others. I think there's definitely some writers especially in anime who realise how Japanese society is turbofucking its youth and making desperate cries for help. Same as anywhere else, really.

I agree. I worked in Japan for five years, and I saw both good and bad while I was there. The Ariana Miyamoto and Naomi Osaka reactions happened while I was there, and it was interesting talking to coworkers and students about it. :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Is Deep Space 9 a place I can start? Can I just like dive in without knowing anything? If you think I should finally make the Star Trek plunge I'll trust you on this, because I've also seen your posts and agree with you on many things.

That's a tough call, but I'd give it a "probably Yes". It's definitely more impactful if you at least have a general idea of what Star Trek was like leading up to that show. But it's not like the Marvel Cinematic Universe where if you didn't watch a Captain America movie you'll have no idea what's going on in one of the Avengers movies.

That being said, start with at least some TNG if you have the time. They're both good shows and TNG is the one that could possibly be considered "prerequisite" for DS9.

The original series has plenty of great episodes but nothing you need to know. You could also watch the movies.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 29, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I know, it's phenomenal.

Legit though, I will cut you if you diss my hog

The designs ended up growing on me. Rattlesnake Jake is fantastic, the mayor is fantastic, every little critter is so gross but so full of character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

I agree. I worked in Japan for five years, and I saw both good and bad while I was there. The Ariana Miyamoto and Naomi Osaka reactions happened while I was there, and it was interesting talking to coworkers and students about it. :shrug:

Hell, I was reading Astro Boy and there's a bit where a Japanese immigrant to America makes pointed observations to Astro about how racism works; that white Americans were racist to him when he immigrated, and when that lessened he noticed they were still oppressing black people, and then they just transferred all of those attitudes towards robots. And this was the goddamn 50s, iirc.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bogus Adventure posted:

they seem really pumped about Rui Hachimura, although I don't know anything other than he got a whole bunch of Japanese media attention because he's easily the most important Japanese player in the NBA ever, before playing a single game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Calaveron posted:

The designs ended up growing on me. Rattlesnake Jake is fantastic, the mayor is fantastic, every little critter is so gross but so full of character

That's kinda the whole point of its aesthetic; nothing is traditionally 'cute' or appealing at least entirely, and not supposed to be, they're all rough and ready people living on a dangerous frontier in a harsh environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

For many years now I've been "Star Trek Curious", it seems like something I would like, but I'm a little intimidated to get into it because there's just so much of it and I really don't know the best place to start.

Hello, I was in this situation a few months ago, a friend of mine told me to watch The Next Generation and showed much a couple of the first episodes.

Needless to say I got hooked, I didnt have any passing knowledge of any other star trek show besides some iconic stuff like Spock or The Klingon, but I still enjoyed the show to bits.

I'd honestly recommend you start with that and then branch out to DS9, especially since DS9's first episode ties into a 2 parter from TNG.