Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

PureRok posted:

I'd be a vampire without a second thought.

I feel like it would be cool as hell for two weeks and then the routine of staying out all night + no food , sex or friends would wear you down.

Although I guess if I was still a teenager working in a lovely warehouse I'd take that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ghetto Prince posted:

I feel like it would be cool as hell for two weeks and then the routine of staying out all night + no food , sex or friends would wear you down.

Sounds like being a vampire wouldn't change much.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ghetto Prince posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like being a vampire wouldn't change much.

:drat:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Although I guess if I was still a teenager working in a lovely warehouse I'd take that deal.

I like the idea of powernapping for a couple decades whenever I got too bored of the scene, then waking up to see what's new. eat some fascists, gently caress around, get bored, got to bed, wake up in the future, eat whatever the future's new fascists are, gently caress around, get bored, repeat. as long as it was me and my wife I could probably make it at least a thousand years before I started looking for someone to put me down, or I was so deranged that it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So long as I get to kill Nazis, I could live forever.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

The technocracy specifically wants people to believe that with Science anything is possible, so it will be. That's why they push so much development of things like smartphones and nanomedicines and crispr - they could use those things decades ago, but it was an act of magic ("enlightened science") for them. When they get a non mage to invent it and make it real, it just works.

Deepak Chopra: powerful Technocracy agent?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yes, this is very correct.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Inzombiac posted:

So long as I get to kill Nazis, I could live forever.

Bad news about who the vampires are.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Phobophilia posted:

your prob making a funny but the prototype source character models look pretty decent even if the environments are deus ex level ugly

no i was serious,the lip sync and facial animations are great for the most part,but it's obvious they ran out of time by chinatown.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah I thought they did great with the faces and animations, especially given the pressures and limitations. Just stylised enough to convey character without becoming so exaggerated as to be cartoonish and break the real-world aesthetic. Dishonoured did the same thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And it was really weird how a lot of the PC options for dealing with Pisha are "EW, GROSS, YOU EAT MEAT!" Like, I prefer my meat well-done precisely because meat is yummy and blood isn't. Others disagree obviously but the point is, isn't it a bit pretentious to get on her for eating people when all she's doing is adding an extra step to what you already do?

I feel like a vampire hearing that another vampire eats the meat along with the blood is like somebody hearing about somebody who eats peanuts without removing the shells or corn without removing the husk. It's just... wrong.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The disgust reflex, particularly around matters of food and sex, is powerful for evolutionary reasons; becoming a vampire might make you get all hot and bothered at the thought of some blood but it probably doesn't totally unwire all of the old reactions (I suppose if you're a Tzimisce or something it probably should). Or hell drinking blood may disgust many of them when they're not thirsty even when they've been vampires for a while.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wiegieman posted:

When they get a non mage to invent it and make it real, it just works.

That's something that I've been confused about re: the Technocracy. When they finally get us plebs to accept their enlightened science as mundane science, is it because our collective belief retroactively changes the laws of reality? Or is it a case of us finding a truth that has always been there?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
*spends blood point to give himself a boner, thus maintaining the Masquerade’s delicate balance for another night*

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

CommissarMega posted:

That's something that I've been confused about re: the Technocracy. When they finally get us plebs to accept their enlightened science as mundane science, is it because our collective belief retroactively changes the laws of reality? Or is it a case of us finding a truth that has always been there?

You should probably do magechat elsewhere but the short of it is that the laws of physics are malleable to collective belief. The goal of the Technocracy is to get humanity to believe in their version of magic (which is what science is in the World of Darkness) while disbelieving in everything that doesn't fit Technocratic plans. They do it through slow and methodical "scientific" progress relayed through a massive propaganda apparatus, making sure the range of what humanity is willing to accept as possible is gradually expanded. It pretty much makes them anti-villains since they're responsible for every modern comfort this side of the Renaissance, but the society they're creating is also one that's spiritually sterile, clockwork-like, and with the ever-increasing grip of corrupt Technocrats at the very top. They started with noble intentions but most of the upper echelons quickly got drunk on powers and decided that they would rule rather than serve.

At least that's what Traditions Mages would tell you. From the Technocracy's point of views they're hippies or worse, people who would rather make humanity go back to medieval tech just so they get to play superheroes. The Traditions would answer that they've learned from the Technocracy and that this time they'll do it responsibly and educate people into getting their own grasp on magic, with the eventual goal of everyone finding their own path to Ascension.

The irony is that long terms the Traditions and the Technocrats have the exact same goal, collective Ascension. The difference is that Technocrats want everyone to get there at the same pace in a way that is safe, narrow, and controlled, while Traditions favor an "anything goes" approach because they believe a one-size-fits-all Ascension is a contradiction in terms. People should be free to experiment to find authentic Enlightenment rather than have it prepackaged to them.

It's a very elitist and often unsympathetic view of collective emancipation but the logic is at least internally consistent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mortons stork posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot about Pisha. Yeah she's an elder and deffo on a Path of some kind. You can see how alien, unempathetic and unrelatable she is. You don't wanna be Pisha. Trust me on this, she's better as an NPC

It was completely by accident I found out you could send the obnoxious ghoul to her to get rid of her for Skelter. The next time I talked to Pisha was amusing.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
If you want to play a big drat full-Paragon-Commander-Shepard hero in old World of Darkness, then a frontline Technocrat is your best option.

(Mind, your character likely won't stay that way for long)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

YaketySass posted:

The irony is that long terms the Traditions and the Technocrats have the exact same goal, collective Ascension. The difference is that Technocrats want everyone to get there at the same pace in a way that is safe, narrow, and controlled, while Traditions favor an "anything goes" approach because they believe a one-size-fits-all Ascension is a contradiction in terms. People should be free to experiment to find authentic Enlightenment rather than have it prepackaged to them.

It's a very elitist and often unsympathetic view of collective emancipation but the logic is at least internally consistent.

Surely the way the Traditions want to do it will almost necessarily lead to a hellscape in the middle though? Having some people capable of being magical overlords while most people have no powers at all sounds like a recipe for disaster.

...I think I've just discovered I'm a Technocrat.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Probably. This is why magechat is bad, you keep hitting the wall that as written the ostensible protagonists are worse than their Orwellian mad scientist enemies and this can go on for pages and pages.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YaketySass posted:

Probably. This is why magechat is bad, you keep hitting the wall that as written the ostensible protagonists are worse than their Orwellian mad scientist enemies and this can go on for pages and pages.

Indeed. Pretend this thread is the swamp, and magechat is the evil you should not bring here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean World of Darkness has always been the tabletop for “there aren’t really good guys”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was told when I got into WoD that, in spite of it all, the story tends to have a theme of "the humans are even worse," at least in VtM. Dunno how true that is.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean World of Darkness has always been the tabletop for “there aren’t really good guys”

What about Warhammer 40K?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I seriously never met anyone who RP’d Warhammer, and that’s after 20 years of gaming at LGS. I’ve seen absolutely massive numbers play Warhammer, but the RPG books were just things people bought to read the fluff and get back stories for their guys.

The White Wolf groups at Bard College, Upstate NY were really big in the 90’s and early oughts, those people all dressed liked their characters in IRL. I feel like anyone who played Warhammer were not the kind of people prone to logging off and leaving their room.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Warhammer is technically worse than World of Darkness, but by how much sort of doesn't matter as they are both honey for the same kind of assholes. Outside of being a giant scam to get nerds to buy incredibly expensive miniatures to play their game "correctly".

Got more video games though so hopefully white wolf catches up soonish. You could probably have a cool hunter co-op game like Vermintide (that already sort of exists, but I'd like a dumb fun kind of kill monsters with friends sort of game) or that werewolf title shows up this summer.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 27, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NikkolasKing posted:

I was told when I got into WoD that, in spite of it all, the story tends to have a theme of "the humans are even worse," at least in VtM. Dunno how true that is.

Short answer: It's complicated.

Vampires are easy to label as evil because their very nature is more aggressive and parasitic than humans view themselves.
However, a lot of them grow in age and become indifferent. Like, they will establish a reliable way to feed but not really screw with anyone.
Then you have the ones who lust for power, a lot of them get cut down but the ones that don't can corrupt very easily.

Humans are also huge parasites but refuse to recognize it. At least vampires usually don't kill what they eat.

Then you get into the wide conspiracy-level stuff where human will try to kill monsters for being abominations but also capture and rape them as a hosed up show of dominance.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crabtree posted:

Warhammer is technically worse than World of Darkness, but by how much sort of doesn't matter as they are both honey for the same kind of assholes. Outside of being a giant scam to get nerds to buy incredibly expensive miniatures to play their game "correctly".

Got more video games though so hopefully white wolf catches up soonish. You could probably have a cool hunter co-op game like Vermintide (that already sort of exists, but I'd like a dumb fun kind of kill monsters with friends sort of game) or that werewolf title shows up this summer.

I am still waiting for that Vampire: Dark Ages game built out of Crusader King 2's base.

I know there's a mod, but the mod is, well, bad.

I'd say Chronicles of Darkness surviving on tabletop with World of Darkness joining Warhammer in the "let's license this to everyone to make games with" is an ideal world.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZearothK posted:

I am still waiting for that Vampire: Dark Ages game built out of Crusader King 2's base.

:same:

It's such an obvious thing, Paradox. Do it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

It varies. For much of the line's run, vampires were behind a lot of terrible stuff. Then new developers and whatnot took over and they came up with the much more fitting idea that, quote, "vampires don't run the show they just buy the popcorn" so while they often could find a way to benefit from Man's Inhumanity To Man they were behind any of it save on low, often personal levels.

Of course then they walked back on that in Fifth Edition, but we don't talk about it much for very good reasons.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dawgstar posted:

Of course then they walked back on that in Fifth Edition, but we don't talk about it much for very good reasons.

Though, they then walked back on their walking back. So we're back at "vampires love popcorn".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:drac: Hey watch this, the kine are gonna start a new great war! I can't even remember being this stupid.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Vampires are humans that are even bigger parasites so in the end, they're likely a reason why humanity is lovely through thousands of years of politicking, murder and insane philosophical experiments that inevitably blows up in their face, time and again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

It varies. For much of the line's run, vampires were behind a lot of terrible stuff. Then new developers and whatnot took over and they came up with the much more fitting idea that, quote, "vampires don't run the show they just buy the popcorn" so while they often could find a way to benefit from Man's Inhumanity To Man they were behind any of it save on low, often personal levels.

Ah, the Kuei-Jin way :hmmyes:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So are Werewolves in the "regular game" 10 feet tall juggernauts who can rip a vampire apart no problem?

That part was a nightmare for me. I tried fighting, that obviously didn't go well. I ended up hiding beyond this shed or whatever and by luck or glitch, I waited out the timer. Then I used up most of my healing items getting to the tram so it was a lot of fun when I was immediately dumped into hostile vampire turf right after....

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can kill the werewolf, by the way. You have to switch on the power at the shed, open the observatory dome, then lure it into squeezing in between the dome walls before closing it again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

NikkolasKing posted:

So are Werewolves in the "regular game" 10 feet tall juggernauts who can rip a vampire apart no problem?

That part was a nightmare for me. I tried fighting, that obviously didn't go well. I ended up hiding beyond this shed or whatever and by luck or glitch, I waited out the timer. Then I used up most of my healing items getting to the tram so it was a lot of fun when I was immediately dumped into hostile vampire turf right after....

Yes. Werewolves are enormous, they get huge bonus to all physical stats, and they have a huge pile of health levels that rapidly regenerate any non-aggravated damage. And that's just baseline- all werewolves have access to Gifts, which range from "you can shoot your claws at a distance" to "you can make palatable food out of literal trash" to "for the next scene, you can't be harmed by fire". Also, they tend to come in packs of 3-7 or so, and have extensive experience working as a group during a fight.

Werewolves in the WoD are terrifying. There's a reason vampires stick to the cities.

e: Also, back in the Paleolithic age or thereabouts, werewolves used to cull human beings to keep the population manageable. Those early humans were so thoroughly traumatized by it that they managed to pass it down as some kind of ancestral memory and most people will simply have some kind of nervous breakdown in the presence of a werewolf who's in the form being used by the one in Bloodlines, and only the most strong-willed will actually be able to remember clearly what happened.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its kind of bad news if you're someone that is in the range of "So curious you want to see one again" to "So unfazed not even the non PURE BREED Garou Nation people are as unafraid as you are so you kinda creep the wolfman out". Course, I have no idea if the werewolf game is gonna involve classic world of darkness Garou or the Chronicles of Darkness's Uratha. God this is gonna be confusing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Though, they then walked back on their walking back. So we're back at "vampires love popcorn".

I really wish I had a clip of Nadja eating a piece of popcorn from the latest What We Do in the Shadows episode right now...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I really wish I had a clip of Nadja eating a piece of popcorn from the latest What We Do in the Shadows episode right now...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteDigitalConey.webp

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Random note:

One quest I never did, because I had no interest in it and also my PC had the charisma of an old sock, was replacing Lily. You talk that girl in The Asylum into it, the mortal girl. Lily was a vampire. She's the perfect source to bleed perpetually for money. You replace her with some human girl who will no doubt die at some point. Even if she doesn't, vampire blood and mortal blood can't be the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Even with the Holy Fury update?

Sorry to hear that, if so. I'd been meaning to try it, but haven't had time.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 29, 2019