Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Franks Happy Place posted:

It's also (USUALLY, please talk to your pediatrician!) very safe and appropriate for kids, so it's a nice tool for parents dealing with lax school systems, partners with less vigilant approaches, etc because why not? Worst case scenario you've just improved their oral health and probably reduced their odds of a staph infection and other things by seeding their flora with something tame, and if you're lucky this INF-3 stuff is more than just wishful thinking and you're helping them fight off infections more generally.

I showed the BLIS k12 box (and this one said ok for kids but burst k12 isnt) to my kids pediatrician and she was like, yeah it’s fine. my kid has been taking it daily since December. but also my kid doesn’t have any known allergies or reactions. Byron an individual level please talk to the pediatrician first.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Jun 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kids these days are reposting this without recognizing the context.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oh, well, as long as it’s peaceful.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

New anti-HIV shot just showed 100% protection in a population of 2000 women and girls in Africa. Unlike the current PrEP shot, which requires a shot every two months, this one is only twice a year.
(Scary thing is the oral medical that’s current best practice that the control group took didn’t seem to protect at all).

quote:

The study compared shots of the Gilead drug, lenacapavir, with taking daily pills of two different anti-HIV drugs also made by the company. One of those drugs, emtricitabine/tenofovir, has received regulatory approval in many countries to protect against HIV infection, including transmission via vaginal sex. Ethically, the existing safe and effective version of what’s called pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) meant the trial could not include a placebo. The other PrEP pill had a newer version of tenofovir and has never proved its efficacy in this population. Surprisingly, the trial found the infection rates in the 3000 participants taking the oral PrEP was about the same as the background rate of infection, suggesting the pills aren’t working to prevent HIV infection in this population.
ViiV Healthcare makes an injectable anti-HIV drug, cabotegravir, that came to market in 2021 for all at-risk adolescents and adults, but it requires shots once every 2 months.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

New anti-HIV shot just showed 100% protection in a population of 2000 women and girls in Africa. Unlike the current PrEP shot, which requires a shot every two months, this one is only twice a year.
(Scary thing is the oral medical that’s current best practice that the control group took didn’t seem to protect at all).

This is pretty great news.

I wonder if they did verification blood draws? The lack of efficacy in the comparator arm could easily be due to inconsistent dosing among pts or degradation of the meds. For anything where you need a consistent blood level of a drug for it to provide its benefits, implantables or depot injections will always be ideal.

Fake edit, from the press release, seems like it's an even more common problem with these meds and they're looking into it:

Gilead posted:

HIV incidence in the Descovy group was numerically similar (39 incident cases among 2,136 women, incidence 2.02 per 100 person-years) to that in the Truvada group and was not statistically superior to bHIV. Previous clinical trials among cisgender women have commonly found challenges with adherence to daily oral pills for PrEP, and adherence analyses for Descovy and Truvada from PURPOSE 1 are ongoing. In the trial, both Descovy and Truvada were generally well-tolerated and no new safety concerns were identified.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Platystemon posted:

Oh, well, as long as it’s peaceful.

I work at a remote gov site that has a 10ish mile long stretch of a 2 lane highway after a guarded gate where we badge in. There's always lots of traffic cause essentially 3 lanes in each direction merge down to 1 lane in each direction at the gate and it's a lot of people at once because well we're all getting to work in the same hourish window, but there's also basically no turns or anything between the gate and the general site so it's just cruising straight forward for 10-15 minutes.

There are fender benders weekly because despite it being a one lane road people have trouble maintaining a consistent speed and so it's just people accelerating then slamming on the breaks for 10 miles. Recently someone far up the road hit an animal and obviously that caused backed up stop/go traffic, but the funny part was about 20 minutes after that event there was a 4 car pileup just from people ramming into the traffic had been slowed down since the wreck with the elk.

Again, all when there's only one lane that's going straight with no turnoffs of note. The one job people have is looking at the car in front of them and not running into it.

Cars and having just ordinary regular people drive is such a bizarre and dangerous concept. You work at a factory and you'll have some safety rep chastise you for not putting on cut resistance gloves to use a box opener and then turn around and hop in a several ton vehicle cruising down the freeway at 70 miles an hour while watching youtube on your phone.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Just wanted to give an update - my wife's decision to send this to her mom got her to not only understand that COVID is bad but to buy a box of auras. This after years of eyerolls. Think it's worth it for people who have given up trying to reach people to try again with this one, it's really a phenomenal article. On top of the content, the "we're going to talk about denial, here's COVID as an example" is a really effective framing device.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

this is a good article but :rubby: at the "peak" framing

im sure we can go to sights unseen

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oracle posted:

How is this something they are only noticing now, in a study centered around another drug? :psyduck:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Franks Happy Place posted:

your nose specifically is on high alert + is well stocked.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
I'm a moron about interpreting how good/bad studies are, but I know a lot of peeps in here, and in general, smoke. Paging Pingui.

quote:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/pulmonology/smoking/110778
Cannabis Use Tied to Increased Risk of Severe COVID
— Hospitalization risk 80% higher versus nonusers
Study
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2820235

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Jun 22, 2024

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
bong resin lung barrier hypothesis suffers body blow

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A Bag of Milk posted:

bong resin lung barrier hypothesis suffers body blow

Maybe they were using the wrong strain.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Indoor Dying posted:

I'm a moron about interpreting how good/bad studies are, but I know a lot of peeps in here, and in general, smoke. Paging Pingui.

Study

too bad I eat it, checkmate bitch

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

too bad I eat it, checkmate bitch

Yeah, this just gives me an excuse to keep avoiding covid, not throw my edibles in the bin.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Indoor Dying posted:

Study

As a short reply, I can't tell from the data what is or isn't true. But I suspect the same is true for the authors, as they are going by what is or isn't registered on patients in their health records. As cannabis was illegal in the state (the authors are playing coy, but it is Missouri... my dudes, 5 of you work the same place...), we have to wonder under which circumstances it was mentioned in patient records. I am going to venture a big fat guess here and state that such a registration is probably heavily associated with poverty.

Shockingly poverty is very bad for outcomes as the two indirect measures in the study demonstrates (namely race and insurance status):

The issue is that while you can adjust for those two (as the authors have), neither of them are actually poverty. So insurance status can be adjusted for, but not whether you uninsured because you are a student or because you are living on the streets. The problem being that the homeless are going to be majority of the difference from the uninsured comparatively, while also being more likely to be noted as a cannabis user - e.g. the adjustment downplays the distinction, as it makes the adjustment less than it should be, leaving the remainder of the distinction up for analysis.

All that is not to say that smoking weed is good or even neutral when it comes to COVID. In all likelihood it is bad. But I don't think the study's methodology can reliably determine that. What I can say, is that I doubt it would be worse than smoking, as the data indicates insofar as hospitalization and ICU stays are concerned.

Edit: Rereading it, I am not sure I am explaining it well, but basically the question is: under which circumstances is cannabis use jotted down in patient records, in a state where cannabis use was illegal at the time of said jotting? - my guess is that the answer is heavily associated with a couple of -isms, that are not recorded, nor adjusted for.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jun 22, 2024

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If I had to add another confounding factor that I'd want to see really well controlled for (which I doubt this study did): cannabis use is very much associated with social use, ie sharing joints, bongs etc. How much of this is just the result of cannabis use creating conditions for high- or repeated- dose infections versus smoke damage to the lungs versus inflammation from non smoke inhalation like terpenes etc etc etc? I don't know, but neither do the authors of that study.

Like Pingui said, it's probably not GOOD, but this study doesn't really get into the real stuff when it's so casually linked and not controlled etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Where is the peanut gallery of doctors in health economics demanding a randomized controlled trial today?

Give half of the participants the devil’s dankest lettuce and half of them literal oregano and see what happens.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

Former Mayor Bill de Blasio did nothing to curb Black Lives Matter protests where thousands of un-masked demonstrators breathed and shouted in each other’s faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Being a Steelers fan, John Fetterman is a man I’d follow into battle.

Is the NYP usually this mentally ill

quote:

But lockdown’s lingering effects haunt our waking and sleeping hours — not just when I see physical vestiges like a “maintain six feet of social distance” sign, a number which Dr. Anthony Fauci recently admitted was made up out of thin air.

Or decayed dining sheds in streets that long ago lost their usefulness.

Let me count the ways.

Lost revenue from subway and bus ridership when people were encouraged to stay home put the MTA in a multi-billion-dollar fiscal pickle from which it might not recover.

Keeping workers home resulted in too many choosing not to ever return to their offices.

Professionalism died as a result.

My heart sinks whenever a bank, health care, retail or government employee tells me they’re “working from home” — a sure sign they’ll do everything wrong when they’re done feeding their kids and cats.

The shutdown disproportionately harmed obsolete, older buildings that were leased to small tech and media companies whose employees refused to return to them.

The result: a permanently wounded real estate market that’s already costing the city a bundle in lost tax revenue.

Consumers embraced online shopping, which had already taken a bite out of bricks-and-mortar retailing.

The result: a record number of empty stores all over town.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

The shutdown disproportionately harmed obsolete, older buildings that were leased to small tech and media companies whose employees refused to return to them.

The result: a permanently wounded real estate market that’s already costing the city a bundle in lost tax revenue.

oh no those poor structures :(

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm not sure how to describe that other than as sort of like a malicious work of art. It's impressively deranged and dripping with contempt.

'How dare we hurt those poor tech companies. How dare people spend time with their kids and their cats. How dare we do anything that might hurt the real estate investors, we should have obviously shoveled the poor and the sick into mass graves first and never given it a second thought. Everything bad that I perceive, including trends that predate the pandemic by decades, are the results of a few months of reduced economic activity four years ago. You trash. You monsters.'

The kind of low-rent purple prose normally reserved for lovely movie reviews is just icing on the cake. could have used a 'no one wants to work anymore', but it's clearly there in spirit

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
big 'you're OBSESSED with covid, now here's why seeing a 'cover your mouth when you cough' sign is a daily micro-aggression against me' energy

is this the shredded cheese lady

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Freedom is when you force people to commute to and toil in buildings that your lapdog journalist admits are obsolete, under the implied thread of starving on the street during the worst pandemic in living memory.

Wait, which century are we in again?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
hey guys haven’t been here in a while and now I’m 1000 posts behind, what’s new?

I’ve been masking same as always, refusing to go to restaurants and basically settled into the possibility that this will be forever. Luckily my friends still invited me to parties and nobody gives me poo poo about wearing a mask

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

hey guys haven’t been here in a while and now I’m 1000 posts behind, what’s new?

I’ve been masking same as always, refusing to go to restaurants and basically settled into the possibility that this will be forever. Luckily my friends still invited me to parties and nobody gives me poo poo about wearing a mask

Covid continues to be over, Steve. Same as it's always been. :baduk:

we might have new and exciting respiratory disease on the horizon tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always—do not forget this, Steve—always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a mask stamping on a human face—forever.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Indoor Dying posted:

Study

bong r.i.p.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Just saw somebody who was previously very stridently talking about masking to protect themselves and others post a picture literally from Applebee's. Great timing!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Rochallor posted:

Just saw somebody who was previously very stridently talking about masking to protect themselves and others post a picture literally from Applebee's. Great timing!

They're called irresist-a-bowls for a reason.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Rochallor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuL2QwsNeM8&t=5s

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm not sure how to describe that other than as sort of like a malicious work of art. It's impressively deranged and dripping with contempt.

Well put. I'm picking up a strong "A Modest Proposal" vibe but satire is dead and I can't tell anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is the NYP usually this mentally ill

You'll have to do an RCT to find out.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

a friend of mine who is very up there on the covid mitigation behavior spectrum recently talked to a pair of their friends about how covid is bad in their area (california) right now and they should take mitigations like at least wear masks inside, not only for themselves but to protect older people, etc. this friend of mine lives with their quite elderly and frail parents, so any of the three of them getting covid is a legit death risk within the household.

the friend pair of course totally brushed my friend off, saying oh don't worry, if we get sick THEN we'll wear a mask and isolate :) which my friend ofc told them wasn't enough with asymptomatic spread but whatever

they messaged my friend literally two days later and were like oh hey we got covid

u_u

my friend then tried to advise them on pax, which they also brushed off

just don't get it man. taking so many needless Ls

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

It's the seasonal summer/winter wave picking up.

No escape in either hemisphere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Jun 23, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take a peak behind the curtain, before the “immunity debt” narrative had crystallized.

“Why Everyone Has the Worst Summer Cold Ever”

22 July 2021

quote:

Although your immune system is likely as strong as it always was, if it hasn’t been alerted to a microbial intruder in a while, it may take a bit longer to get revved up when challenged by a pathogen again, experts say. And while some viral exposures in our past have conferred lasting immunity, other illnesses may have given us only transient immunity that waned as we were isolating at home.

“Frequent exposure to various pathogens primes or jazzes up the immune system to be ready to respond to that pathogen,” said Dr. Paul Skolnik, an immunovirologist and chair of internal medicine at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. “If you’ve not had those exposures, your immune system may be a little slower to respond or doesn’t respond as fully, leading to greater susceptibility to some respiratory infections and sometimes longer or more protracted symptoms.”

But also this was a week before WaPo leaked that CDC slideshow about the undeniable Delta surge, so that probably had just a little to do with why everyone had the worst summer cold ever.

And don’t forget a parting shot at lockdowns for creating alcoholics.

quote:

Satya Dandekar, an expert in viral infections and mucosal immunology, said that while isolation measures didn’t weaken our immune system, other factors, including stress, poor sleep habits and increased alcohol consumption, could play a role in how an individual immune system responds to a respiratory virus.

I lied. The article’s concluding paragraphs foreshadow the “tripledemic” and provide a case study in hubris.

quote:

The higher rate of R.S.V. and other respiratory viruses this summer was largely predicted in a paper last winter published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. But what’s not clear is when the flu virus will re-emerge and what effect it will have. Rachel Baker, the study’s lead author and an epidemiologist and research scholar at Princeton University, said a potential worry will be if the flu, R.S.V. and Covid-19 all circulate at the same time.

“The big puzzle is where is the flu?” said Dr. Baker. “I think it’s a very uncertain flu season. It’s not necessarily going to be worse, but when is it going to come back? And what is it going to look like?”

Dr. Baker noted that she is currently struggling with her own summer cold, which she assumes she picked up when she ventured out to a local pub to watch the recent England versus Italy soccer match, which she felt safe doing after being fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

“This was a very crowded pub, everyone was shouting at the TV and no one was wearing a mask apart from me,” she said. “I tried to stand near the door for better circulation. A few days later I got the cold. I can’t believe I wrote the paper on this, and I got the summertime cold.”

I can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTLJALMX_4A

if you don’t know who beau miles he is a “backyard adventurer”. seems like a good dude and i enjoy his videos

but it’s really frustrating that no one puts it together that covid does this. it does it all. that’s why you’re sick, buddy