Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's an interesting table, global per capita rates of traffic-related deaths at 2019: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

The US rate of 12.9 deaths/100k pop was lower than the global average but still almost three times as bad as the Australian rate of 4.5

(This should probably be cross referenced with the table of per capita motor vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_motor_vehicles_per_capita. It looks like Central African Republic is an irl Carmaggeddon )

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i mean the country's called CAR, what do you expect.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

it’s fun seeing other people at work in masks because it means they’re sick.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

mild severe acute respiratory syndrome

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pingui posted:

5) Finally I will note, that 1 (one) accepted donor donated 448 samples out of 77561 (0.58%), making up to $33,600 in the process. How many there are in this category is not indicated, but I am positive he is not alone.

excuse me i can make a full time salary by jackin it relentlessly?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

excuse me i can make a full time salary by jackin it relentlessly?

if you don't have an uncle in the industry, good luck buddy

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

When you are ready to read another horrifying book - Check out The Viral Underclass by Steven Thrasher too.

hell yeah it's on the list

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bixington posted:

Whoever talked toop out of pulling the shirt-rip superman act after not dying of COVID thanks to bixsexuality inducing drug cocktails should have been executed.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Steve Yun posted:

hey guys haven’t been here in a while and now I’m 1000 posts behind, what’s new?

I’ve been masking same as always, refusing to go to restaurants and basically settled into the possibility that this will be forever. Luckily my friends still invited me to parties and nobody gives me poo poo about wearing a mask

Mpox still doesn't seem to be spreading badly enough to be a major concern for this summer, in most places

Bird flu is spreading swiftly in dairy farms and amongst dairy workers. Some workers work in multiple dairies. It can be detected (inactivated, noninfectious) in 10-30% of commercial milk. Contrarians are drinking raw milk, which when infected can sicken cats and is suspected to be able to sicken humans.

It's a matter of time before it goes human-to-human, but states and exposed people are declining to test. There are vaccines (in theory, but not released yet) and tests (in theory, but the medical places aren't sending to the CDC to get tests done), but not in practice.

Currently, actively, H5N2 has killed one person in Mexico. H5N1 is in the US (and many other places - this is the 2022 strain I think). H7N3 is in Australia.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I checked out of keeping up to date on things and just started assuming everything was bad all the time and it's kind of funny that every time "maybe it's not that bad, nobody else is talking about it anymore" starts to even start to enter into my brainspace, 20 people call out of work and a mainstream article drops about "yeah poo poo's still bad actually"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wait, how many 9/11s of traffic deaths are there daily?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Colin Mockery posted:

Currently, actively, H5N2 has killed one person in Mexico. H5N1 is in the US (and many other places - this is the 2022 strain I think). H7N3 is in Australia.

Australia currently has ongoing outbreaks of H7N3, H7N8 and H7N9 but it's only really that last one I'm worried about. We also had a single human case of H5N1 in someone who had recently traveled overseas which seems to have been successfully contained, but it's absolutely inevitable that it'll be brought in by migratory birds within the next few months

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Potato Salad posted:

only fourteen 9/11 a year, so 14(9/11)/365 or .038 9/11 per day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

Like one and a quarter, globally.

COVID-19 came along and will kill more people than cars do, in perpetuity, and we’re not supposed to care, take action, or even notice it.

Countless governments, businesses, nonprofit organization, and individual human beings spend innumerable hours on the problem of traffic deaths.

In the time since 1950, deaths per mile have decreased by a factor of ten. Success in the last decade is more limited, but people are empowered to try.

COVID-19 is the complete opposite. There’s nothing like the NTSB investigating and issuing recommendations to NHTSA. Instead we have CDC undermining OSHA with an eleventh-hour operation to burn masks as the “scarlet letter of the pandemic”.

We can’t even keep accurate numbers. A pedestrian struck by a drunk truck driver east of Timbuktu is more likely to be reflected in official statistics than is a mother dying of COVID-19 at the UC San Francisco Medical Center.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Reading the cow entrails agricultural commodity volatility reports it might be a good time to buy an extra bag of cat food just in case your obligate carnivore furballs have their supply chain disrupted.

Which would never happen.

Ever.

What is this doomer bullshit, even?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cats can eat the rich, as a treat.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Platystemon posted:

We can’t even keep accurate numbers. A pedestrian struck by a drunk truck driver east of Timbuktu is more likely to be reflected in official statistics than is a mother dying of COVID-19 at the UC San Francisco Medical Center.

gently caress, never thought about it but also more sure about this then most things

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Like one and a quarter, globally.

COVID-19 came along and will kill more people than cars do, in perpetuity, and we’re not supposed to care, take action, or even notice it.

Countless governments, businesses, nonprofit organization, and individual human beings spend innumerable hours on the problem of traffic deaths.

In the time since 1950, deaths per mile have decreased by a factor of ten. Success in the last decade is more limited, but people are empowered to try.

COVID-19 is the complete opposite. There’s nothing like the NTSB investigating and issuing recommendations to NHTSA. Instead we have CDC undermining OSHA with an eleventh-hour operation to burn masks as the “scarlet letter of the pandemic”.

for what it's worth pedestrian fatalities have also been on the rise in the US since people started piling into SUVs :911:

it's pretty wild you can even see the impact of the 2008 recession on pedestrian deaths

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
We're long past peak traffic fatalities and we have airbags now. Are you really going to stop at red lights forever?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-cases-new-variant-hospitalisations-data-b2567094.html posted:

UK Covid hospitalisations increase following emergence of new variant
The rise is thought to be due to waning immunity and a new group of Covid variants collectively referred to as FLiRT
(..)
According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), Covid hospital admissions increased by 24 per cent in the week to Sunday, with a rate of 3.31 per 100,000 people compared with 2.67 per 100,000 in the previous week.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

no lube so what posted:

gently caress, never thought about it but also more sure about this then most things

Case study: the Central African Republic, which Snowglobe of Doom noted above has some of the world’s deadliest roads.

How’s their COVID situation? Well they’ve reported one hundred and thirteen deaths ever, from a population of five and a half million. The per‐capita equivalent would be if the U.S. reported seven thousand.

The last report of a death was made in February of 2022.

I’m not throwing shade at the health authorities in CAR here. They have a lot on their plate. What I am saying is that there is a concerted international effort to minimize COVID‑19.

We are allowed infer that a body found on the side of the road with massive blunt force trauma was struck by a car, but god forbid “COVID‑19” goes onto an American death certificate without a laboratory test—and even then, ghouls will debate whether it really from COVID or with COVID, going so far as to scrub death counts from years back because the victims weren’t on the right steroids.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It is very childish, but seeing this pop up in the headlines made me smile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stupid sexy symptom rebound

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pingui posted:

thread title

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

The Times interviewed her recently. (archive)

She’s not great. They’re not great.

I’m going to jump into a story she starts to tell after the formalities are out of the way.

quote:

[…]One of the stories in the book I tell is about my friend Randy Richardville. We had a lot of knockdown dragouts when I was the Democratic leader in the Senate. He was the Republican leader. He was in the majority. We did battle. We also, though, often ended the day going and grabbing a beer together, because I think that it’s important to not take things personally but to stay focused on doing the job and also trying to continue to build relationships with diverse sets of interests and people. That’s what our system’s supposed to be about.

quote:

It’s supposed to be about that, but one of the things that I know other Democrats have pointed to is that the Republican Party under Donald Trump has gone in a particular direction that makes that, they feel, very, very difficult. So that sounds great to sit and have a beer with your political adversary, but at the same time, there are huge chasms at the moment.

quote:

It’s challenging. I don’t ever want to imply that it’s easy. It takes thick skin and a short memory. During the pandemic, when things were really at their hottest, when the former president singled me out and called me “that woman from Michigan” and I was getting a lot of threats, my Republican-led Legislature, who had worked with me pretty well up until that moment, really turned on me. That was the moment when everything kind of changed. I share a picture in the book from the window that I took on my phone when they had a demonstration. People showed up in their cars and shut down the capital city, and they were holding up signs calling me a Nazi. We saw Confederate flags. We saw a Barbie that was dressed like me and hanging from a noose. And it was shocking. I also had a Republican leader who took to calling me names and shared a stage with some of the folks who ultimately were tried for the plot to kidnap and kill me. And yet I had to keep negotiating with that guy, because I had to get a budget done.

Lady, I get how that would be traumatic, but goddamn did you ever take some destructive lessons away from it.

They talk about some of the details.

quote:

[…] And let’s be clear, they weren’t going to keep me for ransom. Their intention was to, like a terrorist organization, have a sham trial and then execute me. […]

quote:

You write in the book that you want to meet with one of the plotters who pleaded guilty who is in prison now. What do you want to know?

quote:

I’d like to understand what drove this group of people to take this extreme position. I want to understand it.

quote:

You think there’s something to understand?

quote:

Maybe. Maybe there’s not. But I’d like to see. I’d like to know. Is it because there wasn’t, for that person, economic opportunity? Was it because they got laid off during the pandemic and they were really worried about how they were going to make their house payment? What was it that set them off?

What is the takeaway from this? Terrorism works?

When people say things like “I would kill to have an elected official take me that seriously”, I think that usually they don’t mean it. They’re just frustrated that politicians don’t operate out of basic human empathy when they see vast human suffering.

But the Times wastes no time in immediately following up that answer with an invitation to kiss the ring of the immiserating terrorist ideology.

quote:

Separate from what happened to you during this period of the pandemic, I do want to ask you about some of the lessons that you may have learned. Michigan’s stay-at-home order did last longer than other states’. You closed all the schools in March 2020, and you didn’t urge them to be reopened until a year later. Now that we have the fullness of hindsight, do you think schools should have reopened earlier?

quote:

I have said many times that if I could go back in time with the knowledge we’ve accumulated now, there certainly are things that I would have done differently. I also want to remind everyone that during that period of time, Michigan was so hot compared to the rest of the country. It was New York, Detroit, it was Chicago and it was New Orleans that were having a massive impact from Covid. Our hospitals were at a real brink.

quote:

No one really knew how to deal with this. It’s less about what you were facing but more specifically about schools. You’re seeing in Michigan chronic absenteeism, students performing below pre-pandemic levels in reading and math.

quote:

I think we have to remember that we were looking at lessons from the Spanish flu, and that particular virus absolutely was devastating to younger people. And as a person taking in as much information as I could from our epidemiologists and our public-health experts, the thought was that we might have a lot of school-age kids that were going to die from this virus. That’s really what motivated our actions and the actions of lots of governors when we stopped kids going to school. It has carried a long, hard price tag with it. We’ve made massive investments in early childhood and in free breakfast and lunch for all 1.4 million Michigan kids, and literacy coaches. So we’re working to help get our kids back on track. But absolutely, if I could go back in time with the knowledge we have now and knowing this virus didn’t disproportionately kill children, would I have done some things differently? Yes.

So that’s where we’re at. Terrorists win.

The interview winds down with burgerposting about Gaza, how a sprightly Biden is actually doing a heckuva job despite what voters’ lyin’ eyes tell them, and that the problem is messaging.

Finally, they congratulate each other on being part of the greatest generation, by which I mean 𝕏, and noncommittally tut tut SCOTUS.

tl;dr: She’s running.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jun 24, 2024

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It's so great that this virus didn't disproportionately kill children and instead just regular killed them and gave them new lifelong health conditions on a massive scale. If I could do things over again, I'd give it more chances to do those things.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Being a Steelers fan, John Fetterman is a man I’d follow into battle.
This whole conceit that we have to make things as normal as we can for The Children by killing all their older relatives off is so bizarre

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Being a Steelers fan, John Fetterman is a man I’d follow into battle.
In the US alone there are over 238,000 estimated covid orphans. It was nice of our elected officials to open everything up and make things Normal for them

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In the US alone there are over 238,000 estimated covid orphans. It was nice of our elected officials to open everything up and make things Normal for them

Creating more future Disney protagonists, every child's dream! VBNMW!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Platystemon posted:

The Times interviewed her recently. (archive)

She’s not great. They’re not great.

I’m going to jump into a story she starts to tell after the formalities are out of the way.

Lady, I get how that would be traumatic, but goddamn did you ever take some destructive lessons away from it.

They talk about some of the details.

What is the takeaway from this? Terrorism works?

When people say things like “I would kill to have an elected official take me that seriously”, I think that usually they don’t mean it. They’re just frustrated that politicians don’t operate out of basic human empathy when they see vast human suffering.

But the Times wastes no time in immediately following up that answer with an invitation to kiss the ring of the immiserating terrorist ideology.

So that’s where we’re at. Terrorists win.

The interview winds down with burgerposting about Gaza, how a sprightly Biden is actually doing a heckuva job despite what voters’ lyin’ eyes tell them, and that the problem is messaging.

Finally, they congratulate each other on being part of the greatest generation, by which I mean 𝕏, and noncommittally tut tut SCOTUS.

tl;dr: She’s running.

she sucks and I voted for her opponent in the dem primary. her dad was a BSBS CEO in Michigan and hosed over car crash victims for their “reform” of car insurance prices that didn’t go down. even though the gop house and senate pushed it through she was down with the decision. diminished whole rehab programs here.

hopefully she will not leave the state but her succitude is quite high.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

oh no you watched the wrong movie. Revenge of the Body Snatchers is the remake everyone prefers

(lol at the uploader's youtube avatar)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the individually boxed metrix tests are sold out again :rubby:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nothing inherently new in this piece, but it is pretty decent for a WaPo piece, besides the "both sides"-ing. I have subsequently cut out most of the bullshit arguments for a mask ban, as they are exactly what you would expect: anecdotal, with a real strong "everyone started clapping"-energy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/06/24/mask-ban-north-carolina-new-york/ posted:

Masks are going from mandated to criminalized in some states
Lawmakers in North Carolina and New York say mask bans in response to pro-Palestinian protests would not target medical mask wearing, but critics are skeptical.

State legislators and law enforcement are reinstating dormant laws that criminalize mask-wearing to penalize pro-Palestinian protesters who conceal their faces, raising concerns among covid-cautious Americans.

Republican lawmakers in North Carolina are poised to overturn Gov. Roy Cooper’s (D) recent veto of legislation to criminalize masking.
(..)
Immunocompromised Americans and civil libertarians who have long criticized mask bans as a cudgel against protesters of police shootings, economic inequality and environmental injustice say the bans are being revived because covid is no longer treated as a public health emergency. Coronavirus levels in wastewater are reaching high levels across much of the Sun Belt and Florida, early indications of a summer covid wave, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Lawmakers eager to reinstate pre-pandemic mask restrictions say legislation would not target medically vulnerable people and others trying to avoid respiratory viruses. But critics say such an approach would be impractical and sets mask wearers up for further ostracization and harassment by police and fellow citizens.
(..)
“People are still going to think you are breaking the law if you’re wearing a mask. They don’t care what’s wrong with you,” Stuart told The Washington Post. “I’ve thought I should wear masks with something printed on it like ‘immune deficient’ or ‘cancer patient.’ But we should not have to do that.”

Others fear people of color will face the brunt of enforcement.

“Any time you see these kind of laws where we are mandating a certain thing someone can do with their body, who is going to be most affected by that? Black and Brown people,”
said Diana Cejas, a Black pediatric neurologist in Chapel Hill, who masks in part because she faces elevated risk from respiratory illness because of scar tissue around her airways from cancer treatment. “At the same time, I’m not going to let it deter me from trying to keep myself safe and my patients safe.”

In a statement accompanying his veto, Cooper said the legislation “removes protections and threatens criminal charges for people who want to protect their health by wearing a mask.”

GOP lawmakers have called such concerns overblown because of the bill’s health exception. Republicans have enough votes in their majority to overturn Cooper’s veto.
(..)
Opponents of mask restrictions question how a health exception could work if protesters wearing medical grade masks say they’re trying to stay healthy in a crowd.

“I don’t understand when there’s a political protest exactly how the authorities plan to sort out those who are wearing masks for health purposes versus those who are wearing masks to protect their identity,” said Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union who has written about the issue. “It really sets up a situation where we are likely to see selective enforcement against protesters that the authorities don’t like.”

Sylvie Tuder, one of the protest organizers for the University of North Carolina chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine, said attendees are encouraged to wear masks specifically to limit the spread of communicable disease and called the GOP bill an effort to suppress protest.

“As defenders of Palestinian life, it’s our duty to honor the real danger that infectious disease poses to all people, whether in Chapel Hill or in Palestine,” said Tuder, a doctoral student in sociology.
(..)
He said people who face elevated risk from covid should be able to wear medical grade masks but does not believe masked demonstrators are motivated by public health because many use ineffective cloth coverings and masking was far less common on campus before the protests.

“You cannot just say you are selectively worried about it only when you are out there protesting,” Goldstein said. “If you are at high risk, you probably shouldn’t do high-risk activities like congregating in large public groups.”
(..)
Meredith Cann, a telehealth psychotherapist in Manhattan who largely serves immunocompromised and disabled people, said she has prospective clients seeking mental health care because they are terrified after hearing Hochul’s and Adams’s calls to limit masking.

“Average everyday people are going to hear what our governor and mayor are saying: People who wear masks are criminal,” said Cann, who receives weekly injections of an immunosuppressive drug for a chronic condition. “We are afraid for our quality of life and our ability to just exist in public.”

Archived link: https://archive.ph/vQj0O

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Weirdly short piece in its entirety, but I guess it's to the point :shrug:

https://www.wired.com/story/wired-health-disaster-planning-lucy-easthope-pandemic/ posted:

Post-Pandemic Recovery Isn’t Guaranteed
The aftermath of a disaster like Covid can be divided into roughly three stages: the honeymoon, the slump, and the uptick. The aim is always to build back better—but in some cases that never happens.

LUCY EASTHOPE, ONE of the UK’s top experts in disaster planning, has advised the UK government on major international incidents such as 9/11, the Grenfell Tower fire, the war in Ukraine and, of course, the Covid pandemic. “If you were a pandemic planner in 2020, then there have been few surprises over the past few years,” Easthope says. “In those pandemic plans we wrote a reasonable worst-case scenario—and now we get to live it.”

Emergency planners such as Easthope know that the aftermath of a disaster can usually be divided roughly into three stages: the honeymoon (“Or, as we call it now, lockdown one”), the slump, and the uptick. “We’re still in the slump,” she says, of the UK. “We’ve reached a stage where all signs of institutional collapse are here. Basic reliance on the health care system for the most privileged is now gone. Failure gets talked about loudly.”

However, Easthope warns that the uptick, the stage when societies rebuild, isn’t always guaranteed. “It’s really important to have no issue be off the table and [to keep things] nonpolitical,” she says. “To be very aware that the Titanic can sink, and to leave the hubris at the door.”

Disaster planning research, for instance, shows that the post-pandemic mental health crisis will continue for the next 30 to 40 years, with an increased prevalence of alcohol and drug abuse in affected communities. “Recovery after these sorts of events is not a spring, but the worst kind of endurance,” Easthope says. “The only good thing that comes out of a disaster like a pandemic is that it creates one single opportunity to reexamine structures and institutions.”

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I wonder if they c/p last years article or wrote a new one https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/think-you-have-a-summer-cold-there-s-a-good-chance-it-s-covid-experts-1.6933433

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

"You cannot just say you are selectively worried about it only when you are out there protesting,” Goldstein said. “If you are at high risk, you probably shouldn’t do high-risk activities like congregating in large public groups.”

if you're at high risk, and there are effective mitigations available for you but we banned them, you just shouldn't do those activities

just say "i dont think people with medical issues have rights, human or constitutional or otherwise"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Odd news item/government action here, which I'll be honest, sounds like some nutter conspiracy. Only it's a government seemingly actually doing it and considering the amount of positive tests, with cause.

https://www.voanews.com/a/senegal-tightens-anti-covid-controls-after-mecca-deaths/7667919.html posted:

Senegal tightens anti-COVID controls after Mecca deaths

Senegal said Monday it had implemented voluntary COVID-19 screening tests and reimposed the wearing of masks at Dakar's international airport for returning pilgrims fearing the virus was linked to the deaths of some Mecca pilgrims.

Dakar suspects that a number of the some 1,300 deaths — according to a Saudi tally — are down to a respiratory syndrome ailment such as COVID-19, Health Minister Ibrahima Sy said on Sunday.

"Initially, we thought it was related to heatwaves because the temperature was excessively high, but we realized that there is a respiratory syndrome with the cases of death," Sy said of the deaths during the hajj pilgrimage, which took place during intense heat.

"We told ourselves that, probably, there is a respiratory epidemic, and it was our duty to be able to monitor the pilgrims on their return by putting in place a screening system for everything COVID-19 related," said Sy in remarks carried by Senegalese broadcasters.

The health ministry said it had "strengthened the health surveillance system" by deploying a team at the airport to provide voluntary screening tests and identify pilgrims suffering from flu-like illnesses.

The ministry also urged the population "to be vigilant, to show restraint and to be more serene to avoid an epidemic."

Out of 124 rapid diagnostic tests, 78 proved positive for the COVID-19 virus, 36 of which were later confirmed by PCR tests, the ministry said.

Charles Bernard Sagna, chief medical officer for the airport, said the alert was raised when the Senegalese medical team based in Jeddah had reported "a significant number" of passengers with respiratory problems.

"There is no cause for alarm but there also has to be prevention," the ministry said Sunday.

Senegalese daily L'Observateur reported that five of the dead at the hajj were Senegalese nationals.

They were among an around 12,000-strong officially registered Senegalese contingent.

Saudi Arabia's official SPA news agency earlier reported 1,301 deaths at the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, where temperatures climbed as high as 51.8 degrees Celsius (125 degrees Fahrenheit), according to the country's national meteorological center.

More than 80 percent of pilgrims attending mainly outdoor rituals were "unauthorized" and walked long distances in direct sunlight, according to SPA.

The hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam that all Muslims with the means must complete at least once in their lives.

Saudi officials have said 1.8 million pilgrims took part this year, a similar number to last year, and that 1.6 million came from abroad.

As I realize the source is sus, here is a french language source saying more or less the same thing (without the mention of masking):
https://www.leparisien.fr/societe/s...KIJAEVVUU7M.php

I should note that the airport in question also mentions COVID testing, but it reads like something ancient:

https://dakaraeroport.com/en/airport-guides/health-covid-19-guides posted:

Health Info & Covid 19

To enter Senegal:

Sanitary measures in force:

You need a vaccination certificate called a health pass with a mandatory QR code or present an RT-PCR test dated less than 72 hours from the day of sampling.

Any passenger wishing to travel to Senegal is required to respect these conditions.

To leave Senegal, the traveler is required to respect the policy of the country of destination.

NB: sanitary measures differ from one country to another.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

“high risk activities like” checks notes “accessing any health care, public transit, flying on an airplane, grocery shopping”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my favorite high risk activity is inhaling air, just the normal stuff, ya'll should try it (careful tho)