Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got a Steam controller because I thought it would fill this niche but I have no loving clue what I'm doing with it

the steam controller is really really good but it has a hell of a learning curve and you won't always be able to find a setup that works well for your particular preferences for a game.....so you just completely change the config so your right touchpad acts like a trackball or w/e and go hog wild. but you need to do some homework to get to the "go hog wild" stage and afaik valve never put out any tutorials or anything for the drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Play posted:

so if I just got one, hooked it up to the computer, it would start working in games? It's interesting that there aren't controllers specifically made for PC that are half controllers. It's such a good idea because I could have the mouse on a hard mousepad I have to the right then just hold the half controller in my left hand and I think it would be pretty good

i have no idea as ive never tried, but i assume its not just plug and play and youd have to install some extra driver software for it to work

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh for fucks sake, I just started chatting up the most interesting vampire in the room and obviously he's a drat Malk. And a really bloody annoying one at that.

Game keeps owning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you say most interesting and malk as if those are incompatible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got a Steam controller because I thought it would fill this niche but I have no loving clue what I'm doing with it

I'm looking around and I actually can't find one. That playstation move seems to be the closest thing but you need special software for it to run that may or may not work for certain games. That really surprises me. I'm seeing a lot of keyboard style left hand controllers but no console style ones.

I suppose I could hold my entire controller in my left hand and use the mouse for everything else but that kind of defeats the original purpose

If anyone wants to make a half controller with me to make millions lmk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

the steam controller is really really good but it has a hell of a learning curve and you won't always be able to find a setup that works well for your particular preferences for a game.....so you just completely change the config so your right touchpad acts like a trackball or w/e and go hog wild. but you need to do some homework to get to the "go hog wild" stage and afaik valve never put out any tutorials or anything for the drat thing

That's what I want, I think it would be great to play an FPS using the stick to move and the right circle pad instead of a mouse, but the programming interface is so fucky and poorly-explained, I'm glad I paid $5 for it

Play posted:

I'm looking around and I actually can't find one. That playstation move seems to be the closest thing but you need special software for it to run that may or may not work for certain games. That really surprises me. I'm seeing a lot of keyboard style left hand controllers but no console style ones.

I suppose I could hold my entire controller in my left hand and use the mouse for everything else but that kind of defeats the original purpose

They discontinued them extremely recently, a bunch of people who ordered them around the time I did ended up getting "sorry we ran out here's your $5 back" emails

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, I should have just kept it in the packaging - they're already in the $30-40 range on eBay and they've been discontinued for less than a month.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it's (imo obviously) very worth sticking with and learning

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's what I want, I think it would be great to play an FPS using the stick to move and the right circle pad instead of a mouse, but the programming interface is so fucky and poorly-explained, I'm glad I paid $5 for it

They discontinued them extremely recently, a bunch of people who ordered them around the time I did ended up getting "sorry we ran out here's your $5 back" emails

lol i got a second one from that firesale because i like mine so much, and i'm glad i did - did you know you can hook up like a million of the fuckers to a single USB dongle if the game supports xinput? lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it's (imo obviously) very worth sticking with and learning

lol i got a second one from that firesale because i like mine so much, and i'm glad i did - did you know you can hook up like a million of the fuckers to a single USB dongle if the game supports xinput? lol

I kind of like that it detects as a mouse even if Steam isn't running, tbh, but I really just got it for the novelty value - I've already got 2 PS4 controllers, an 8Bitdo NES30 Pro, and an old-rear end Logitech F710 so I'm already drowning in PC gamepads.

Play posted:

One thing you could try is using a PS4 controller on PC, by default the touch pad gets mapped to mouse controls so you can kind of use the left stick to move and the touchpad to aim, it's real tricky though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the ds4's touchpad is not really accurate enough for that kind of thing, in my experience in windows

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not only that but its in too awkward a place to use constantly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Play posted:

If I'm being honest, that's probably the main thing. Also, I'm proud that my dumb statement about gamepads and keyboards was controversial enough to start a pages-long derail, I've done my duty to the thread *salutes enthusiastically*

A lot of it also comes down to me liking single players a lot more than multiplayer. Single player shooters are easy enough to beat with a gamepad, even when you up the difficulty. So there's no need to use the less comfortable method. I refuse to play games at a desk, that's way too much like work

This is well said. Some games are a bit harsh in how they do targeting which make gamepads difficult, but they just feel so much better in terms of movement and the unified whole

I also have a wheel for racing games, that's one thing the gamepad is poo poo at (although still better than a m/k I would assume)

Mouse and one handed controller you say? That sounds... quite interesting. I hate using keyboards and don't love the mouse since I play on my couch, but a mouse plus half controller sounds interesting. I'm picturing the half controller like one of those switch controllers that can separate, just a stick for movement and a trigger/shoulder button. Is that what you're talking about?

e: nevermind it's this right?

I want this. I need this. And not in my rear end. Well, maybe in my rear end. But mostly for playing online shooters where everyones a sperglord.

e: that's a vr controller? I'd like one that just is wireless USB and works the same as my xbox controller on the pc

It’s not actually the VR part of the move controller. It’s just the nav attachment that was barely used except for a few PS3 games. The greatest part about them is not only are they good quality fist party controllers, but they only cost about $5-10 on Amazon or eBay these days.

I just play games on my couch with a little TV tray type thing that collapses and slides under the couch. Since I don’t need the extra real estate for a keyboard. It’s pretty great.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Just learn how to aim with a pad, it isn't that hard, literally millions of people do it every day.

It will take some practice but then you no longer have to come up with any convoluted solutions, you can just pick up any gamepad anywhere and start fragging.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

the ds4's touchpad is not really accurate enough for that kind of thing, in my experience in windows

I find the opposite - it's insanely sensitive and basically useless as an actual mouse (i.e. for clicking on icons/links), especially since touching it enough to click invariably moves the cursor off whatever you were trying to click on. It's almost too accurate.

I don't know if I could ever get used to it in a fast-paced FPS, but I tried it last night with Mechwarrior 5 and it was actually surprisingly functional, but mostly because that game is way slower than most FPSes, and also the camera/aim movement is limited by your giant robot's actual torso/arms slowly turning to aim.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

big nipples big life posted:

Just learn how to aim with a pad, it isn't that hard, literally millions of people do it every day.

It will take some practice but then you no longer have to come up with any convoluted solutions, you can just pick up any gamepad anywhere and start fragging.

I already do that, it's fine for single player but it's definitely a disadvantage if you want to go multiplayer. Which I don't really want to do actually, I'm more just interested in new and different input methods

It's the very fine correctional movements that tend to suffer with the gamepad. No big deal in most cases but sometimes you want better accuracy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Olaf The Stout posted:

Look at all these pleb unpopular opinions let me show you how it's done.

I 100% DK64 as a kid, twice, and I liked it. My favorite is lanky kong and it's criminal how little representation he has seen since.

Pssh. What is this, amateur hour?

"Fallout 3 is more faithful to the original vision of the franchise than Fallout 2"

And then when people push back on the obvious controversy concede that Fallout 2 is better and that Fallout 3 is only the third best, which still means that you're saying it's better than New Vegas but the indignation won't be nearly as bad since they're still reeling from the first claim.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just don't like when people talk about franchises like it's a Hesburger.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

christmas boots posted:

Pssh. What is this, amateur hour?

"Fallout 3 is more faithful to the original vision of the franchise than Fallout 2"

And then when people push back on the obvious controversy concede that Fallout 2 is better and that Fallout 3 is only the third best, which still means that you're saying it's better than New Vegas but the indignation won't be nearly as bad since they're still reeling from the first claim.

Fallout 3 is absolutely closer to the vision of the 1st game than Fallout 2. Fallout 2 is still awesome, don't get me wrong, but it is not half as bleak and dreary as either 1 or 3. You can say you prefer turn-based combat or even that you like Fallout 2 more, and it obviously has nearly the same mechanics and a lot of superficial similarities. But the tone of 2 is very goofy and over the top, filled with pop- culture references, while Fallout 1 rarely has a sense of humor to it, and when it does it is mostly laughing at the circumstances of the people within it. Fallout 3 certainly isn't as serious in tone as the 1st one, but it is much much more serious and grim than 2. In fact, New Vegas and 2 are pretty in-line with each other tonally.
Also I think Fallout 3 is the best one. It's not half-broken like any of the others, isn't as much of a pain in the rear end as the old ones, and at least has a passable story compared to whatever the hell NV tried to pull (literaly Romans!!!). I will concede that Dead Money and Lonesome Road are better than any DLC for 3. The base game of New Vegas was just too all over the place, with some extremely suspect aesthetic choices, like CoD rear end guns mixed with poorly implemented nostalgia, and horrendous ADS.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
drat, I can't beat that. Like you even name-dropped the two shittiest New Vegas DLCs. I know when I've been beat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think that might be the first time I have ever seen someone say that FO3 had a better story than NV in my life lol. Good thread content I guess.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

should I go dig through the closet and play mechwarrior 5 with a joystick or be a lazy gently caress and play it with a mouse like it's call of duty?

also it seems pretty cool so far which is an unpopular opinion, I think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

should I go dig through the closet and play mechwarrior 5 with a joystick or be a lazy gently caress and play it with a mouse like it's call of duty?

also it seems pretty cool so far which is an unpopular opinion, I think.

of course you should get the joystick come on

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you're right

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I definitely like the atmospheric aesthetic of Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, and I never get sick of VATS ever and FO3 is what brung that.

But outside of that New Vegas is far better. Like New Vegas' start with Tutorial Girl whose character is that she is a Tutor is terrible but it's still loads better than Fallout 3's.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This isn't an opinion, just a statement of fact, but the Steam version of Fallout 3 looks much better graphics-wise than Fallout New Vegas. Did they update the textures for 3 or something but not for NV? Everyone's clothes in NV look like poo poo compared to 3, and the vaults etc. too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

This isn't an opinion, just a statement of fact, but the Steam version of Fallout 3 looks much better graphics-wise than Fallout New Vegas. Did they update the textures for 3 or something but not for NV? Everyone's clothes in NV look like poo poo compared to 3, and the vaults etc. too.

NV was made in like a year and a half so the new assets aren’t really as polished as they could have been.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

I think that might be the first time I have ever seen someone say that FO3 had a better story than NV in my life lol. Good thread content I guess.

There's a guy in one of the Fallout threads who has been going on about how much better the writing and characters are in Fallout 3. His prime example is the Vault 101 tutorial, how it tries to make you care about the world and gives you a solid background in the setting. He kept going on about all the poo poo he didn't like in New Vegas until Josh Sawyer, director of New Vegas, posted in the thread to counter some of his sillier points.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
New Vampire is still going strong. Now I'm trying to recruit a Malk to my Coterie but first she needs me to admin her chat while she's doing kinky vampire poo poo on stream.
Pretty sure I just banned half of FYAD.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tunnel snakes rule

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

"health points" as a concept don't make any sense. get kicked in the head 9 times? your are fine and able to perform 100%. get kicked in the head 10 times? dead instantly!

Hit points were originally nothing like what gamers and developers thought they were in D&D, Gygax described them as a mix of luck, stamina and divine favour to dodge and minimise damage until eventually your luck runs out and you actually get hit by a lethal blow

Literally everyone forgot this and when D&D tried to bring it back everyone screamed bloody murder and threw their toys out the pram

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I definitely like the atmospheric aesthetic of Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, and I never get sick of VATS ever and FO3 is what brung that.

But outside of that New Vegas is far better. Like New Vegas' start with Tutorial Girl whose character is that she is a Tutor is terrible but it's still loads better than Fallout 3's.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I tried New Vegas earlier this year, and bounced off it hard. The first thing they ask you to do is pick your stats, and I loving KNOW fallout games and how base stats is literally 100% of how your char can develop. Bitter pill to swallow in 2019, but sure let's do it. Inventory was spammed with like 500 DLC items (why?!), which I dropped, then took a step outside and marveled at HOW GODDAMN UGLY THIS GAME IS HOLY poo poo. Like, where are the shadows, at all? Took two steps, met tutorial girl, and watched her hair disappear and the tutorial lizard go invisible. Uninstalled.

I played and loved Fallout1 back in the day (and played a bit of Fallout3), but man, some things don't fly anymore. There are better games to be spending my time on, shame.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Counterpoint: the controls are complete rear end that get in the way of playing the game, your health and stamina bars have bars to manage, the bounty system is complete nonsense and people reported me to the cops for killing the people who kidnapped them and horse permadeath is so dumb.

The controls are fine, it's the console that's rear end. The game feels great on PC where it's running at more than 15 fps

I didn't mind the bars, they were an excuse to stuff your fat boy face.

The cops were the same from gta as well, and they work and still work like loving trash garbage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

Give me another city under water

But in SPACE

Bioshock in space would just make me want to play Prey instead

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

I tried New Vegas earlier this year, and bounced off it hard. The first thing they ask you to do is pick your stats, and I loving KNOW fallout games and how base stats is literally 100% of how your char can develop. Bitter pill to swallow in 2019, but sure let's do it. Inventory was spammed with like 500 DLC items (why?!), which I dropped, then took a step outside and marveled at HOW GODDAMN UGLY THIS GAME IS HOLY poo poo. Like, where are the shadows, at all? Took two steps, met tutorial girl, and watched her hair disappear and the tutorial lizard go invisible. Uninstalled.

I played and loved Fallout1 back in the day (and played a bit of Fallout3), but man, some things don't fly anymore. There are better games to be spending my time on, shame.

Your base stats are not really that important in New Vegas. there are tons of ways the raise your stats.

if you don't like the graphics maybe fallout 76 is more for you. It's has 16x the detail of any other fallout game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Unpopular game opinion: I should finish prey!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

QuarkJets posted:

Uhh, isn't Bioshock in space just System Shock 2? Which is of course 1000000x better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

New Vampire is still going strong. Now I'm trying to recruit a Malk to my Coterie but first she needs me to admin her chat while she's doing kinky vampire poo poo on stream.
Pretty sure I just banned half of FYAD.

What in the world are you talking about?

In this a weird humblebrag about being some twitcher's chat mod? Because lol.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

What in the world are you talking about?

In this a weird humblebrag about being some twitcher's chat mod? Because lol.

they've been posting about the same game for like three pages now it's really not that hard to poke around for context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

they've been posting about the same game for like three pages now it's really not that hard to poke around for context

Yeah but he's just repeatedly inserting apropos of nothing with no context while nobody responds.

Why.