Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TopHatGenius posted:

Speaking of 4 I recall hearing something about when playing as Saejima to not pick up locker keys. That is right?

Are you thinking of 5 and Haruka?

The only locker key tip I can remember for 4 and Saejima is that there’s one in particular that has an item you need for one of his substories and saves you loving around trying to find it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are you thinking of 5 and Haruka?

The only locker key tip I can remember for 4 and Saejima is that there’s one in particular that has an item you need for one of his substories and saves you loving around trying to find it otherwise.

Oh 5? I got time then. I'm finishing up the extra substories that I missed on 3 so I have a ways to go.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah, it's the one on the Shichifuku parking lot host club billboards. Basically, be sure to pick it up as Saejima and not as Akiyama, cus otherwise you'll have to do a bunch of batting centre to get that particular item. It's part of what leads to the sacred tree armour too so if you wanna have a nice time at all in the finale, it's kind of a must.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To clarify, if you pick it up with another character you'll have to wait until everyone meets up at the end and the inventories merge to complete Saejima's training without doing a bunch of batting center stuff. I think you can use it for weapon upgrading too so make sure you don't do that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Just beeline the Rush style kiwami move, that's the one you want. Alternately, any heat action will cancel the regen so bring a stack of knives or something.

It is a good habit when starting a Yakuza game to wander into the first Poppo you see and buy a salt shaker.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is it obvious where that happens? Don't wanna get stuck with the wrong one!
As folks have rightly said, any heat move at all works, but I want to point out that it happens literally when you first gain control of Kiryu and are a) told and b) barred from doing anything other than to walk up the street :v:

not to put you off the game, because ultimately it is worth it, but you're eventually going to realize that also, if you don't already have Heat when an enemy starts regenerating, by the time you picked out a Tauriner and chugged it they'll have more or less regenerated what you're about to knock off

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

No spoilers please but which chapter in Like A Dragon has that brick wall boss fight everyone was talking about when it came out and about what level do I want to be going into it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

robot roll call posted:

No spoilers please but which chapter in Like A Dragon has that brick wall boss fight everyone was talking about when it came out and about what level do I want to be going into it?

Chapter 12 is the big ole one that clobbers most people.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

robot roll call posted:

12 and mid40s, but there is a very obvious spot to grind introduced immediately before you head off to the boss fight about halfway into the chapter so don’t worry too much until you get there.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

get to a cool level 50 and you should have a better time of it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also bring fire moves.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ok cool, I just hit chapter 10 so I will keep that in mind. thanks!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've started Yakuza 4 and I'm only in Chapter 3 but the combat being halfway to Y0 already puts it leaps and bounds above Y3. Also Akiyama as some kind of money-lending pseudo-benevolent trickster-god is a nice change of pace from Kiryu's stoic pure-hearted legendary yakuza schtick.

I'm super OCD about using too many locker keys and Bob fun packs early and not leaving any good stuff for the other three guys though.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is sewer cheese

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dom is Here posted:

What the gently caress is sewer cheese

https://twitter.com/moriyoshijon/status/1215901349218414592?s=20

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/cdrms_/status/1367941560705249280

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

has Kiryu ever had a prostate exam, he's way overdue

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc it's one of the later Haruka trust missions

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I just finished yakuza zero the other day, it's the only yakuza I've played and I'm afraid to play any of the others because there's no way they're as good, right?

S tier game

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yakuza 0 is the best game in the series. Kiwami 2, Judgement, and Yakuza 7 are all comparable and excellent in different ways

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
i'm at the finale in 4, and it crashed caused i used a heat move to finish the 2nd boss, but the only thing i could think of during the ending sequence leading up to kiryu and company getting out of the helicopter is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAn8Qrtc1pY

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I just finished yakuza zero the other day, it's the only yakuza I've played and I'm afraid to play any of the others because there's no way they're as good, right?

S tier game

I think 0 k2 and 6 are tied for best. 6 is more tightly focused which I really appreciated. Haven't tried 7 yet either.

Oddly, I really dislike judgment whereas most people love it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey I'm finally starting the PS5 version of Like a Dragon is any of the DLC worth getting aside from the Job pack? I want that rocker job because I like SEIKIMA-II!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The job pack is the most worthwhile one, Devil Rocker is a great jack of all trades and Matriarch has some real nice area attacks and Bullet of Honor is a cool/nice shared skill. The karaoke pack is named kind of deceptively, it's not actually more karaoke but just extra music you can play in Survive, so kinda sucks. The outfit pack is novel and neat but not worth buying outside of a sale, you get a bunch of former protag outfits for both Ichiban and the crew, plus the ladies get Seong-Hui and the good prostitution lady from early on's clothes for them. The management pack is basically one of those packs where you just get a bunch of OP characters to brute force the management game even easier, enough to run like 5 high end businesses on their own and then only need like 1-2 ultra rares or two to fill out the full roster.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just wrapping up Yakuza Kiwami and one of my favorite recent things toward the end of the game (finale spoilers) is:

Jingu somehow having a conversation with a flying helicopter on the top of Millennium Tower. “You’re under arrest for bribery, weapons charges, and incitement!” the helicopter declares. “You can’t prove that!” Jingu retorts, as a dozen of his goons open fire on the helicopter with illegal firearms.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just wrapping up Yakuza Kiwami and one of my favorite recent things toward the end of the game (finale spoilers) is:

Jingu somehow having a conversation with a flying helicopter on the top of Millennium Tower. “You’re under arrest for bribery, weapons charges, and incitement!” the helicopter declares. “You can’t prove that!” Jingu retorts, as a dozen of his goons open fire on the helicopter with illegal firearms.

I liked Jingu. He doesn't have the gravitas or plot relevance of any of the antagonists in the game before or after but he probably has one of the best evil villain laughs in the series.

Also I like the part in every finale where they have you fight a bunch of guys with guns and it just becomes a series of knocking one out and chaining gun deaths together one after the other like the world's jankiest third person shooter

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Hey I'm finally starting the PS5 version of Like a Dragon is any of the DLC worth getting aside from the Job pack? I want that rocker job because I like SEIKIMA-II!

Jobs is the only worthwhile one imho.

Management mode is half useful/half trap option, if you hire them right at the start you either can’t afford them or you just hamstring your overall cash gains by spending way too much on staff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only person you need to hire is Hamaya. It is very easy to max out the business as soon as its introduced, and therefore fully unlock the workshop. You're not allowed to embezzle, so the three-milion yen payout becomes less effective in the last few chapters.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hmm, I got the PS5 upgrade for Yakuza LAD but it doesn't seem to have carried over any DLC. Is that how it's meant to go, or is there some claim process I'm supposed to do?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gort posted:

Hmm, I got the PS5 upgrade for Yakuza LAD but it doesn't seem to have carried over any DLC. Is that how it's meant to go, or is there some claim process I'm supposed to do?

Any PS4 DLC you own should show as “free” on the store for the PS5 version. You’ll have to repurchase it (for free).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What are the best jobs in Y7? Feels like Breaker and Hostess are the only ones with much to offer over the default classes. (Except Adachi's; Detective's pretty terrible.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

a series of knocking one out and chaining gun deaths together

i beg your pardon

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bogart posted:

What are the best jobs in Y7? Feels like Breaker and Hostess are the only ones with much to offer over the default classes. (Except Adachi's; Detective's pretty terrible.)

Gambler is extremely strong, Fortuneteller has potentially the most busted move in the game, Gangster has some real cool and nice moves but so much of it gets resisted, kind of the same for Hitman, Detective is cool and whenever the fear gunshot move works it feels like that thing never wears off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogart posted:

Fortuneteller is your only source of cross-class lightning damage which helps for classes that don't have any but it's also a great magic-user class overall. Dealer gives you a Gun attack way before any other one, and it additionally randomly hits three targets wherever they are and will always strike three times which makes it a great source of damage that is rarely resisted. Idol is the best healing and support, hands down. Host has both ice and fire attacks as well as being able to aoe-charm while dealing damage, and also offers a cross-class personal heal.
Personally I kept Ichiban in Enforcer for most of the end of the game because it had great defensive stats and a good lightning attack.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Gun gently putting them to sleeps

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bogart posted:

Best job for Adachi is Enforcer.
Hostess champagne bottle attack does stupid damage to enemies that don't resist it (especially if they're weak to cold)
Host is a good choice to have a character with fire and ice damage (good for Joon-Gi or Zhao)
Dealer's air darts move does ludicrous damage, especially since if you're against a single opponent it will do 3 hits on them.

For the post-game the power team is probably something along these lines:

Ichiban with Hero job
Saeko with Idol job
Eri with Dealer job
Joon-Gi with Host job

for backup/substitution, have Adachi with the Enforcer job, Nanba with the Homeless job, and Zhao with either Gangster or another Host job.

You'll probably want all the men to have the character skills from, at minimum, Host and Fortune Teller. Musician is also good to have a quick healing buff skill.

I wish the game didn't have jobs skill/level gated because a "job fiesta" game mode would be fun IMO.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Firmly agree. The idea of keeping skills from classes is cool, but the implementation of the system is a bit clunky. I figured you’d eventually be able to job change via phone at some point. Maybe in like a dragon 2.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Is dealer better than clerk on Eri? I'm getting a ton of utility out of thumbtack scatter, shadow stitch and the inkblot debuff, although I'm only midgame right now.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

robot roll call posted:

Is dealer better than clerk on Eri? I'm getting a ton of utility out of thumbtack scatter, shadow stitch and the inkblot debuff, although I'm only midgame right now.

There's a strong argument to be made that most of the default classes are the best for each character or at the least a very good fit for them, with the exceptions of Saeko and Adachi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Playing Yakuza 4 and finally made it to Saejima and goddamn what an intro

I also appreciate this weird sensation of being in untapped territory now since I've only really played Y0-3 so while I know general story beats from the internet (like eventually Haruka becomes an idol and Kiryu gets real sad and manages a baseball team and Saejima punches guys in the snow) seeing random stuff like the weapon merchant getting arrested in Okinawa after years of selling to Kiryu is strangely charming. I can't wait to see where this goes!