Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

The age factor has shifted, note. In Canada the new variants are loving up younger people and teenagers pretty bad and putting them into the ICU where OG Covid wasn't.

You don't have any data on this do you? I haven't been able to find variant-specific data yet. I live in Canada, and it does seem like younger people are more affected, but it's hard to tell how much of this is just an overall increase in case numbers combined with a largely vaccinated elderly population. I looked a couple days ago for firm numbers but got nowhere.

E: maybe to bring this back to BJJ a bit: does anyone here use 411 to pass guard? When I'm in 411 and am angled to for a kneebar, I'll crossface uke with my near shoulder while using both legs to pummel/kick my legs free of his. Its been working for me lately, wondering if anyone had any tips I could use to improve it.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

You don't have any data on this do you? I haven't been able to find variant-specific data yet. I live in Canada, and it does seem like younger people are more affected, but it's hard to tell how much of this is just an overall increase in case numbers combined with a largely vaccinated elderly population. I looked a couple days ago for firm numbers but got nowhere.

E: maybe to bring this back to BJJ a bit: does anyone here use 411 to pass guard? When I'm in 411 and am angled to for a kneebar, I'll crossface uke with my near shoulder while using both legs to pummel/kick my legs free of his. Its been working for me lately, wondering if anyone had any tips I could use to improve it.

I don't have data, sorry - this is anecdotal from people I know who work in the ICUs.

Here are some news stories reporting this though:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/covids-third-wave-is-younger-and-sicker-heres-everything-we-know-about-why
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/sicker-and-younger-toronto-icu-copes-with-pressure-during-third-wave-of-pandemic-1.5388894

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Count Roland posted:

Look at all that space! Post a pic of the other area, too.

Nothing special

starkebn
May 18, 2004

you can see the whole place

https://i.imgur.com/q9TWm0c.mp4

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

When I’m knee-cut passing i’ll do a small backstep into the ‘top saddle’ position (saddle leg arrangement but you haven’t fallen down to your butt/hips, you’re still on top) and threaten to fall back into the saddle. Then I’ll go straight back to the knee cut and they’ll let me past a lot more easily. I don’t have any experience with what you’re describing, but it seems pretty easy to pass from most of the leglocking positions where you’re on top.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

When I’m knee-cut passing i’ll do a small backstep into the ‘top saddle’ position (saddle leg arrangement but you haven’t fallen down to your butt/hips, you’re still on top) and threaten to fall back into the saddle. Then I’ll go straight back to the knee cut and they’ll let me past a lot more easily. I don’t have any experience with what you’re describing, but it seems pretty easy to pass from most of the leglocking positions where you’re on top.

When I'm knee cutting and uke gets an underhook: that's when I backstep into saddle. I only fake it though if I feel in danger. Using it to improve the knee cut is a good idea.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Looks awesome and huge.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The powder room is bigger than my current training space.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Signing up for my new gym on Wednesday. Feels good to be back.

starkebn posted:

Spent all day putting mats in at the new location for our gym

21m x 12m

There's also going to be a 5m x 5m area seperate to that monster.

goddamn im jealous, that's so much room..

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

It won't take as long as you're dreading

I know it won't take that long to get back into things. Re-remember moves, setups, counters etc. It will all eventually come back to me. It has in the past after long layoffs.

What is going to take a long time is losing weight and getting back to where physically I was pre pandemic. Was 220 March 2020 and now I'm 275. Goal is to get down to 180sih by next June. I know I will do it, long as I stick to it, its just these early months are brutal. Just feel so limited with all the weight and immobility. Soon as the weather gets warm I'll be cycling every morning on top of 3X a week (eventually, taking it slow to not injury myself).

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

butros posted:

The powder room is bigger than my current training space.

Right? Where I used to train (BC) having 8 partners rolling on the mat was tight and needed people watching out to ensure no one crashed into each other.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Over 100 people at our opening open mats tonight. Hectic.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Vegas is doing ADCC this year....does anyone know when tickets go on sale? and I'm probably going, any other goons tentatively interested?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Vegas is doing ADCC this year....does anyone know when tickets go on sale? and I'm probably going, any other goons tentatively interested?

Id be totally down for this. I only live a few hours away.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I thought they were skipping it this year? Because of covid..

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

covid's been over for some time in the grappling world

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Over 100 people at our opening open mats tonight. Hectic.

drat!

The 2 Chicago locations my school has doesn't even have 50 people combined.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I trained today! It was just me and two white belts this morning. It was a nice gentle reintroduction which was great for my anxiety after 14 months away from the mats.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

They are holding competitions in Vegas now. Jiu Jitsu World League just had one over the weekend.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Fully vaxed now and thinking about joining a local gym to get back at it.

Haven't trained now for well over a year. About 2 weeks before COVID hit, I broke my rib while rolling. Possibly the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, including breaking 2 vertebrae while snow boarding and snapping my finger on someone's gi during a roll. I spent like 2 and a half weeks sleeping upright in a chair and it took months before it felt sort of normal.

Now, with everything opening up again and vaccine pumping in my veins, I'm looking for another gym to join. I'm surprisingly feeling kind of anxious about it, about hurting my rib again. It was such an common situation and a movement I've done a hundred times with no problem - had a big guy mounted on me, went to hip escape to get some room and *pop* - and it's loving with my head.

It's not going to stop me from training again and I plan on going down to a local gym next week, it's just loving weird that I'm worrying about it. I snowboarded again with no problem after breaking my back, rolled again after hurting my finger, both with no problem or thought, but this is just lingering in the back of my mind.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
If it's any consolation, my buddy wrapped his legs around my torso with a higher closed guard and I thought, "it's fine, my rib cage is made to protect me." His legs where stronger.

There's not much to do. Tell your training partners about the injury. Move so it doesn't hurt terribly but still move so you heal with most of your range of motion.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I separated a rib on a routine movement too. When I came back my coach (he was my partner when it happened) pointed out some flaws in my movement and my choice to use that technique in that position. I have not hurt it again in 5 years of training.

It helped me come back mentally because I learned I wasn't powerless to prevent injuries like that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A cracked a guy's rib once switching directions while trying to pass guard. I felt really guilty! I got really cautious about using my full weight during rolls. Something my coaches had later said I needed to get over.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've separated my ribs on both sides, 3x total. Once in a tournament I was winning :(

It comes from extending/pushing while twisting . poo poo sucks.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Rib injuries suck for sure, but I'm betting that the timeline of events made things 10x worse in terms of having nothing to do but sit around and dwell on the injury. You're probably gonna forget about it in a hurry once you're actually back on the mats, and even if you are more cautious than normal for a little while, that's not the worst thing in the world for that much time off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

I've separated my ribs on both sides, 3x total. Once in a tournament I was winning :(

It comes from extending/pushing while twisting . poo poo sucks.

Ya exactly. Which is rarely (never?) A good thing to do. Especially if you're like me and it was part of a repetitive movement I did almost every round.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Is flograppling worth it? I don't like that I can't just pay for a month or two.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gay for gacha posted:

Is flograppling worth it? I don't like that I can't just pay for a month or two.

No.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I'm really interested in these K-guard shenanigans since my lanky physique favors open guard. Should I be flying at Giles' K-guard stuff or just wait for the anthology? Are there any other good instructors covering this topic?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Neil Melanson, Mike Musemesci both have instructionals on K guard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

This is basically some K guard concepts for gi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66-q5Qt3Kg

I also went to Lachie's K guard seminar and his material is excellent

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I'm really interested in these K-guard shenanigans since my lanky physique favors open guard. Should I be flying at Giles' K-guard stuff or just wait for the anthology? Are there any other good instructors covering this topic?

Probably Lachlan’s material if you spend more time doing nogi/heelhooks and Musumeci’s material if you spend more time doing gi. Espen might have some material too, all that ‘matrix’ stuff is closely intertwined with k-guard.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I bought the KGuard instructional. Im interested in what he shows for waiter guard and possibly leg attacks from that position since I use deep half to get into waiter as a last defense and its a strong position.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I was 199 March 2020 and today I'm 235 :( Really want to get back to 200... definitely nowhere close to my goal weight. (I'm 5'8")

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

First day back in over a year. Wasn't too terrible a little passive. Gas tank is poo poo but to be expected. I did 2 hours too. Maybe that was dumb but I felt ok until the last 30 when I died.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xguard86 posted:

First day back in over a year. Wasn't too terrible a little passive. Gas tank is poo poo but to be expected. I did 2 hours too. Maybe that was dumb but I felt ok until the last 30 when I died.

Me too and big same; it was my first time taking a long break after having any kind of skill, and it was novel to find myself acting out the narrative cliche of the old guy that knows what to do but can't make his body do it.

Still, it was a huge difference from the exhaustion people get when they're new and can't relax; I had a steady pace all night, it was just a slow pace.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

also first day(s) back. I feel / look like I'm in the worst shape of my life but holding up pretty well. I'm not moving as badly as I thought but working exclusively on muscle memory; I'm not sure I could explain to anyone what it is I'm doing or why at any given point

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Yesterday, day 5 of my return, I taught the morning class and tweaked my back just demoing a guard pass. I wasn't even rolling! Being a fragile, old, keyboard jockey is dumb. I don't think it's anything bad. I need to miss class this morning for an appointment anyway. Hopefully I'm good to go tomorrow.

My techniques feel loose and sloppy. The broad movements are all there, but I'm not executing the details sharply. My general conditioning is pretty good but there are still some muscles that only move in Jiu Jitsu ways during Jiu Jitsu, so they need to catch back up.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
In about 2 hours I am going to my first class since March 2020, and it’s an open mat hah. So excited I can’t stop pacing. Hope I don’t get mauled too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Tonight will be my 4th class back. I may finally do some actually full rolling. Usually the last 20-30 minutes of class every rotates with 5 minute full rolling but I've been taking it easy. I think I'll do at least one roll see how I feel.