Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Chomp8645 posted:

Wowzers, I didn't realize these Ironman's for this game were still going on!

I made pretty much all the information and the format of the OP and second post on a whim about 4 years ago when I launched the BG Ironman for that year. I just decided to do it kind of spontaneously, and all the honors were things I jotted down on a note pad to pass the time during a night shift of a lovely guard job I had at the time. I wasn't even sure anyone was really going to participate but then all kinds of people came out of the woodworks and suddenly we had dozens of characters. It was a double edged sword in the end, as I woefully underestimated the amount of time it would take to properly update the thread with so many people participating. Between handling images, tracking honors, and constantly updating the current adventures I was putting in like two hours every day on thread maintenance if you can believe it. Eventually it was too much to do alongside a full time job and I burned out and just kind of let go around page 70 or something I think, but at least at that point we had several completed runs and a big heap of dead adventurers.

It's crazy to think that four years later people are still using the OP I made complete with FAQ, honors, and everything else (including images courtesy of Gutrot!) four years later. I don't check Let's Play very often so I didn't realize we still did these every year. I hope the OP today knows what he is in for and lasts longer than I did, or at least has less people to manage. Rock on goons and do some good Ironman!

p.s. You should totally reinstate max-HP rolls as a dishonor. Or at least make not using them a regular honor!

It hasn't been that bad for me. Admittedly I didn't have to deal with the massive rush of players that always accompanies the opening of a new year's contest, but besides the initial effort of copying and updating the first OP it's been taking no more than a half hour each other day to keep this one current.

Still, if I end up doing this again in the future I'd make drat sure that I start the OP at a time where I have lots of free time. I'm a teacher by profession, so this should be easily doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

e: :lol: I'm so dumb

I forgot that freezing dudes to death destroys the loot, so I just hosed myself out of that longsword +2. that....hurts

Aaaag! drat wands of frost! I grab every one I find but then hardly ever use them because of that! I always wonder if it'll end up being the deathblow and hold off on them. May as well just burn them on random hordes or wild animals, all the tough targets typically have good loot you'd want.

Bhaal Jr. is keepin' keepin' on.

The Doomsayer has been a regular XP bag ever since someone here revealed you could dispel their weapon and blur effect. Plus it's not like I want that +reputation, my guys are riding high as it is. Edwin is constantly moaning.

On to the bandit camp!

Bandit camp done! Doom+Hold (or any spell really) makes things a breeze. Taugoz happily turned over his full plate. (Also, Bhaal Jr. picked up his own blur effect at Ulgoth's Beard since I was swimming in money even after snagging the invis ring for Shar Teel.

On to the Cloakwood Mines!

Cloakwood Mines d- oh wait, gotta end these guys first. I'm kinda happy Khalid died now, having Shar-Teel the wonder-backstabber is always fun. I decided to put a superfluous point in longswords during her Thief levels this time and it paid off big time. Still, next playthrough for sure I'm gonna keep him and the rest of the canon party alive to the end.

Apparently Davaeorn had a few fighter levels himself, as well as an invisible helmet. Jerk.

Ok, NOW the Cloakwood mines are done. I still saved the miners because I have a heart. Also the XP rewards are bigger. Still got some wiggle room before my evil party members start walking. Just gotta not gain a single more reputation point until the end of the game.

Edit: Oh, and I swapped Jaheira for Yeslick. He's like a mini inquisitor with that innate dispel, pretty handy to have another free cast of that.

Bhaal Jr. the Inquisitor has disposed of the Bandit Camp and swept the Cloakwood Mines Clean!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 27, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Natsume the Kensai/Druid has survived the Underdark. However, this may be the end of her journey.

Ust Natha stuff went as it tends to. I love this double cross, and would have also offered the eggs to the demon just be a dick to Adalon but Natsume is still technically neutral even if she rolls with an all-evil crew.

We did the Illithid city at some point just because this run was going too well and I felt it would be unsporting of me not to risk death by brain-sucking. Only Dorn actually died in there, as to be expected.

Before leaving the Underdark I wanted to kill Adalon, and that's where things went terribly wrong. The typical Lower Resistance/Greater Malison/Chromatic Orb strategy failed and we had to retreat to try to plink the dragon to death from a distance. At some point Edwin got a little too close and Adalon permanently killed him by freezing him solid. Enraged at the loss of her comrade, Natsume rushed into melee with the dragon and stabbed it to death.

I'll be honest, right now I don't feel like continuing this run without Edwin :smith:. There's no evil wizard to replace him with, and even if there was all of his equipment shattered with him. I could forfeit the Roleplayer honor to build up Nalia or Imoen, I guess, but right now I feel like just giving up and reloading.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Aaaag! drat wands of frost! I grab every one I find but then hardly ever use them because of that! I always wonder if it'll end up being the deathblow and hold off on them. May as well just burn them on random hordes or wild animals, all the tough targets typically have good loot you'd want.

I want to say some items are immune to the frost blow up effect but don't quote me on that.

It's funny too because I went longsword/shortbow on my shadowdancer and that's the only really good longsword in bg1. That's alright though shadowdancers get plenty of prof points so I'll be able to adjust. Though I suppose I may need to adjust Khalid too now since he starts with 2 pips in longswords. Might want to switch him to axe for the +2 or mace for the +3 at this point.

e: You can still use wands of frost you just have to be careful to not have them be the killing blow. They are great wands to open a fight with for a quick heavy hit

Mountaineer posted:

I'll be honest, right now I don't feel like continuing this run without Edwin :smith:. There's no evil wizard to replace him with, and even if there was all of his equipment shattered with him. I could forfeit the Roleplayer honor to build up Nalia or Imoen, I guess, but right now I feel like just giving up and reloading.

You should keep going :colbert:. It sucks, but that's the fun of an ironman is dealing with situations like that where you lose a real key party member.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Gwyn ap Nudd the Berserker update time!

I finally got time to buckle down and get back to this this weekend and today. As usual, I was really bad about taking screenshots, but basically Gwyn made a nuisance of himself around Baldur's Gate, investigated the Seven Suns and the Iron Throne, helped the folks at Ulgoth's Beard, Exterminated two tribes of Werewolves living on an island, retrieved a cloak from a mage dungeon, cleared all levels of Durlag's Tower, and saved the realms from a summoned demon. That done, he traveled back to the Gate, chased the Iron Throne to Candlekeep, got arrested for killing the Throne's leaders, escaped, and returned to Baldur's Gate just in time to rescue the duke and interrupt Sarevok's election as the new Duke. After chasing him through the Warrens, our heros located and entered the Undercity.

While scouting ahead invisibly, Imoen spotted an enemy adventuring group. I don't have a photo of the encounter, because I cheesed it with a pair of Cloudkills.

Continuing onward, we talked Tamoko out of throwing her life away, and finally reached the Temble of Bhall.

Once prepared, our intrepid heroes entered the temple of the fallen diety.

Inching forward, they located and engaged Sarevok, pulling him out with the usual paired cloudkills. His mage backup managed to get off a confusion, however, disabling half the team.

In the end, however, Gwyn's skill with the warhammer, Branwen's healing, and Kivan's outstanding archery were enough to put down the would-be Lord of Murder and save the Sword Coast. I'll be starting BG2 sometime this week.

Honors Won:
Ironling

Purist

Double Damage

Librarian

Trap Dodger

Honorable Trader

Battlemaster

Roleplayer

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ginette Reno posted:

You should keep going :colbert:

No I won't :colbert:

Because I died! :v:

RIP Natsume the Kensai/Druid killed by Drizzt. Oh the shame of it all. He chunked Dorn and Viconia too. I might have stood a chance with Edwin, but we'll never know.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Wands of frost are great against battle horrors, invisible stalkers and the like. They hurt them a lot and these though enemies don't drop anything worthwhile except the occasional small pile of gold or low tier gem.

I also stopped my run because I permanently lost Keldorn (not a big deal) and Jaheira (a very big deal), both disintegrated along with their equipment. Keldorn didn't lose anything worth crying over, but Jaheira was my main tank and was equipped with or holding over half my valuable end game gear. gently caress it, new character.

Agnar the cavalier begins his adventure.

It took less than a minute to get this roll. My highest ever, I think. Pretty lucky. Now if only I could drop charisma below 17...

Speaking of luck, both Melicamp and the cow survived to yield their +1 to reputation! I normally lose both 90% of the time when ironmanning. For the guy who's keeping tabs on them, my previous character, Cynora, lost both to RNGsus. The xvarts landed like 4 crits in a row to kill the cow before I could do anything.

And here's a simple strategy for the Mulahey fight in the Nashkel mine. Move your party members one by one into Xan's room then send your tank to lure the boss to them. Both he and his reinforcements will be in front of your tank and the rest of your crew will be safe. Then just have your cleric cast command to interrupt his rigid thinking spell and you have an easy fight.

Agnar the cavalier has cleared the Nashkel mines and is scouring the Sword Coast for loot and experience.

Oh and,

Cynora the sorcerer has abandoned Imoen to her fate and stopped adventuring to mourn the loss of Jaheira and all her sweet, expensive equipment.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea's bad bad not good night. Was wondering last night if I should press my luck and go for the planar sphere before heading to spellhold. Decided to go for it.

That's when I discovered that I'm high enough level to cause scaling golem encounters to have loving adamantite golems. Stabs McBadidea only lives because large golems don't do doors very well. At least, not on indestructible terrain.

Well, either that, or there's always an adamantite golem there. I thought it was usually an iron golem, but the internet disagrees with me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

An update on Mazus whose adventure has slowed because real life takes precedence:

Did the Skinner quest and forgot how hard those drat Rune Assassins hit. Couldn't hold 'em. Couldn't slow 'em. Wasn't really in danger (could've always popped Sanctuary and walked out), but what a pain in the rear end.

From there, I headed to Umar Hills because I wanted to pick up Mazzy. Bye, Jaheira! You're pretty good mechanically but I'm going to use Cernd as my druid, plus RPG romances are creepy and terrible! Also, this way I can trigger the Harper fight sooner and get the Ring of...Wizardry? Acuity?

The dungeon itself was quite easy. I don't think I ever realized how ludicrous Mazzy is with the Tuigan Bow and 5 pips. 4.5 attacks per round with a massive combat bonus? The only downside is that she's eating all my arrows; I may have to head to Watcher's Keep before ToB just to do the first floor.

Also, every time Mazzy has a banter, she glitches out and starts doing the "you've been selected" speeches. I have to constantly kick her out and then put her back in. Weird.

Did the Shade Lord always buff himself like this? I remember him being a complete pushover. Couple that with what someone said in this thread that he can magically turn a dude into a shade, and I was briefly concerned. Fortunately, Mazus' kit true sight ability takes care of such nasty surprises, and Mazzy with 4.5 attacks per round will wreck the poo poo out of any spellcaster.

Quest complete, I headed back to Umar Hills and OH MY GOD YOU WILL NOT SHUT UP, JAN.

Nalia started complaining, so I'm currently clearing De'Arnise Keep. Just hit the basement with everyone in fine shape (I used Sanctuary to rob that dumb Iron Golem blind, though I did kill all his buddies). The umber hulks should be easy between chaotic commands and cloudkill. Torgal's just a monster physical unit, but I have like a billion ways of dealing with that.

So far, so good!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

NinjaDebugger posted:

Well, either that, or there's always an adamantite golem there. I thought it was usually an iron golem, but the internet disagrees with me.

I generally take "guide" descriptions of (non-boss) enemies with a grain of salt, because they're almost always "here's what I encountered when I played it" rather than being a comprehensive list of what encounters can show up at that point.

Rochard is still alive, but has nothing to show - just backfilling a whole bunch of Chapter 2 that I didn't do before Spellhold. I've killed the two liches that are the prelude to Kangaxx, but I'm procrastinating on actually going for him because it's something that tolerates no fuckups. In theory Rochard could just Berserk + improved Mace of Disruption him down, but I'm doing everything else I can think of while I work up the gumption to actually go for it.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 27, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Today I'm just reporting some clearing out Gimmick did. Mostly the West side of the random wilderness areas. Starting with what remains of the Red Canyons, and included in that Bassilus.

This time I actually got the right dialogue so explode most of his undead before the fight starts.

Moving on I cleared the Lighthouse and grabbed the Tome in the cave behind sil 2 out of 8 tomes. So last time we encountered a pack of Assassins that Stratagems made roaming. The Amazons that normally get you coming out of the mines now also roam.

I start the fight without buffs and not well prepared. Well I knew the encounter was coming ONE of these maps just never which one specifically. But some good luck on the Unholy Blights made it a smooth fight. Bad luck on those and a clumped up party can end that fight in two casts of purple bolts form the sky.

Last run I accidentally turned in the Kozah statue too early so I could not fight the Doomsayer. Not this time though.

He's a tough bastard and eventually I ran out of healing potions so I just ended up sacrificed Khalids life instead. Its okay, he can take it. Besides Captain Brage is an easy teleport right to the Temple in Nashkel.

Look at this though. Doesn't it just fill you with satisfaction knowing all the explorable Fog of War on those maps is gone ? It does to me at any rate.

Next time I'm thinking about clearing the East side of the wilderness areas. Then the Bandit camp.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jabor posted:

I generally take "guide" descriptions of (non-boss) enemies with a grain of salt, because they're almost always "here's what I encountered when I played it" rather than being a comprehensive list of what encounters can show up at that point.

Rochard is still alive, but has nothing to show - just backfilling a whole bunch of Chapter 2 that I didn't do before Spellhold. I've killed the two liches that are the prelude to Kangaxx, but I'm procrastinating on actually going for him because it's something that tolerates no fuckups. In theory Rochard could just Berserk + improved Mace of Disruption him down, but I'm doing everything else I can think of while I work up the gumption to actually go for it.

1.) Turn into slayer
2.) Beat the poo poo out of him. Slayer is immune to Imprison.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If I may return to the hit point discussion from a few pages ago, my P&P group kind of borrowed a page from NWN and 4th ed before they were even around. We did 1 hit die + Con score at first level (Con score, not HP bonus), and then we did something NWN~ish for each rolled die. Basically, you could only get the upper half of your die, but we didn't reroll.

For example, if you had a d8 hit die, a 1 or a 2 was a 5, 3 or 4 was a 6, 5 or 6 was a 7, and 7 or 8 was an eight, plus con bonus if applicable. This was in 2nd edition and it may sound ridiculous, but we played high powered campaigns and if we had followed the rules as printed we would have been annihilated. This way nobody died in one hit at level 1, even mages, and we felt more heroic because we could fight 2HD enemies without being splattered all over the place.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second is exploring Athkatla.

Escaped Irenicus' dungeon and did a bunch of the easy quests, without anything interesting happening so no screenshots for:
Circus, Copper Coronet, Slaves, Bridge district murders, kidnappers, Unseeing Eye (with Shield of Balduran), and Harpers, including Jaheira's encounter which gives the ring of wizardry.

I also dealt with a couple of adventuring parties:

The gang in the sewers gave me some trouble, partially because I did not know that cloudkill with make my summoned skeletons go hostile, so the three I sent to distract the enemy casters instead turned right around to hunt my squishy back-liners. But it turned out alright and I got some good loot, so I decided to take on Mencar Pebblecrusher and his band in the Den of Seven Vales.

This proved easy as cake. The skeletons held the line, the nymph charmed and held some enemies, while Neera confused the others. Not a single hitpoint of damage for any of my characters.

I decided to do the Shadow Thieves quest for some easy cash, but learned a couple of unfortunate things during the fight with the Cowled Wizard Edwin wants dead. First, the Cape of the Sewer's Mustard Jelly form does not confer 100% magic resist as I thought it did, and second...

Gethras has Finger of Death memorized! That could have been a game-ender there, though Rolf has a death saving throw of 0 so he would have been more likely to survive than poor Keldorn.

Also, no wild surges from Neera so far!

I'll finish up the Shadow Thieves quest, then go to the D'Arnise keep for the Flail, and next the Umar Hills or Trademeet to recruit Mazzy and/or Rasaad. Can't decide whether to dump Jaheira or not, she seems to have gotten poor HP rolls and her Harper quest seems to have bugged out; a pair of Harpers showed up, but didn't initiate conversation or respond when clicked on.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Surviving finger of death requires a save vs. spell at -2 penalty. Dangerous for warrior classes since it's their worst save. At your level it probably has a 2/3 chance of working.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Suspicious posted:

Surviving finger of death requires a save vs. spell at -2 penalty. Dangerous for warrior classes since it's their worst save. At your level it probably has a 2/3 chance of working.

The group in the sewers has it too; I guess they just didn't use it.

Or maybe they have disintegrate instead.

Regardless, this is why level 4 of my dude's spellbook is nothing but death ward (which lasts forever) and negative plane protection (which doesn't)

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling has killed Aec'letec, Karoug and Selaad Gan and has finished all of the TotSC content.

The cult members are actually rather tough in SCS, they all get increased levels. I was able to seperate the Enforcer in each of the two groups from the rest of the enemies, making the encounters much easier. I had to be extremely cautious killing the enforcers, they are incredibly strong in SCS.

Eventually, the cult members all died. This was difficult, I'll be surprised if the final battle gives me more difficulty than this.

Surprisingly, Aec'letec was relatively easy compared with the cult. I killed Tracea before she was able to pre-buff and managed to get the demon to follow me upstairs. The other cultists were easy pickings without the demon running around and died without posing any threat to my life. Aec'letec died fairly quickly after that to repeated attacks from invisibility. It can see through invisibility, but I was fast enough moving between floors that it couldn't hit me more than once.

The Werewolf Island is very easy, and short. Karoug died after a fairly long fight, his regeneration is ridiculous but even he can't stand against 30+ damage per round forever.

Baresh and Selaad were simple to kill, despite Baresh turning into 2 Loup Garou spawned on top of each other. (I think this is an SCS bug. It could be a lot worse, apparently older versions of SCS I could cause Baresh to summon Planetars, fortunately I've never seen this myself) Both were killed after short fights, they were less dangerous than Karoug, especially once I got them seperated.

Next time, the Thief's Maze and the Undercity.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 27, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Huh, why wouldn't it be a save vs death? But still, I think the shorty save bonus with 20 Con should tilt the odds a little more in my favor, right?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Jabor posted:

Visit temples, buy up all the scrolls of Protection from Undead. Each temple in the city has two, so you can buy more than enough for all the demi-liches in the game.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dootman posted:

Visit temples, buy up all the scrolls of Protection from Undead. Each temple in the city has two, so you can buy more than enough for all the demi-liches in the game.

Yeah, if you want the Scroll of Wuss dishonor :colbert:

Edit: you can also cast protection from abjuration if you want to be double-sure, but I've taken down Kangaxx numerous times with Korgan/Minsc/PC berserk/rage+mace of disruption and it's never failed me.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Smiling Knight posted:

Yeah, if you want the Scroll of Wuss dishonor :colbert:

Edit: you can also cast protection from abjuration if you want to be double-sure, but I've taken down Kangaxx numerous times with Korgan/Minsc/PC berserk/rage+mace of disruption and it's never failed me.

My last play through I forgot to protect a party member and Kangaxx dispelled protection from undead off my party. Fortunately somebody hit him with the mace of disruption as soon as he turned into his final form and promptly destroyed him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So when we left off, a plot was being hatched to take down the chubby spiderlady in Cloakwood. I'll go with buffing everyone, jamming up the doorway as best I can...

Send in Baeloth to throw mighty fire. Retreat him, take out the spiders that follow him, head back in and throw some more fire until everything is dead. Baeloth rules.

I hate this loving Ettercap random encounter. I can't move anywhere until Petunia sniffs out and removes the web trap.

Hi Eldoth, don't really need you right now either. This party I have is actually pretty good. Petunia to draw people in as bait, two meatshields to catch them as they come in, four ranged guys to shoot them to death.

Goddammit this thing again! Yet another trip back to the Friendly Arm to rez Viconia. Yeslick can't come soon enough.

I remember to go get Gurke's Cloak of Non-Detection from Cloakwood 1. I'll just be keeping this, thanks.

Over to Cloakwood 3jesustittyfuckingchrist stop with this thing!

Cloakwood 4. Well at least he didn't jump me in front of the inn at Nashkel.

So I draw him in and holy gently caress he's fast! He actually knocks Petunia out of Shadowstep before she can finish casting it and chases her all over the drat place until Baeloth distracts him with spells. What is he auto-hasted?

...yes, yes he was. This will help Petunia's snipe and run game immensely.

Then I rest and good lord. Note to self, do not rest in this area. I drive these guys away with Baeloth's Wand of Fear, and then they just kind of run away and don't come back. Not chasing them either.

And to the Cloakwood Mines. I have a good feeling (which means I'll probably die shortly).

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Baldur's Gate is fun as always. The city, not the game.

Well, the game too.

Strolled around, doing the various quests, trying to avoid all the +reputation ones.

I need to use Wands of the Heavens more often. Poor Larze, engulfed in holy wrath.

The trick to stealing the telescope is to have no witnesses. Bizarrely, if Alora isn't in your party she will witness and "report" your thieving crime even though she is there to do the same. You can either kill her or recruit her. I opted for the latter since Bhaal Jr. is a goody two-shoes Paladin. I guess stealing in the name of science or whatever is OK. Boy I am blowing the Roleplayer honor this run.

Luckily, Imoen doesn't mind leaving the party for a bit and will always rejoin later no matter what your reputation, so I swapped Alora in for her temporarily.

Later on I nipped in to the sewers for a quick nap and well...

THE JIG IS UP

Yeah. I guess I'll be avoiding the Hall of Wonders for the rest of the game. Alora wasn't even in the party anymore, but better play it safe.

Anyway, the Iron Throne was boring. I just had Edwin and Imoen invis up and start spamming summon wands through the doorway. Eventually all the horror, confusion, and flame strikes were spent and I sent the rest up. Yeslick made himself fire immune and the mage duo cleaned up the remainder handily with a few fireballs.

Bhaal Jr. the Inquisitor has shaken down the Iron Throne.

Up next:

Home, Sweet Home.

Also, I just realized I forgot to actually turn in the Telescope for a reward. I hope I even remembered to grab it from Alora before ditching her.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 28, 2015

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap the avenger has managed to overcome Kangaxx.

I've been wrapping up everything left in Amn and elsewhere. There's a few things that were minor that I'm not going to show (Killing the fallen paladins, the limited wish quest, etc.) so the update isn't too large.

I've never done the druid stronghold questline before, so I decided to finish that as well. Pictured is a group of very dedicated cowled enforcers who followed me all the way to the grove ( I cast invisibility before travelling in case of ambush, and thought they wouldn't follow).

I figured it'd be like fighting Faldorn, but more so. Never such a thing as too prepared!

As it turns out, it's actually much easier as they let you bring your equipment into the ring. Seems like an oversight, but I'll take it.

It's time to send the party on some extraplanar activities. These are handled without a hitch.

I take out the shade and elemental lich easily via searing orb cheese. This in no way comes back to trouble me later in the update.

Twisted rune goes down with a little trouble. I managed to get the beholder and lich attacking the party at the same time. Luckily I'm able to annihilate the beholder with range before it can do much.

More time spent antagonizing the cowled wizards because really, they probably deserve it.

It's time. I decide I don't want to take the dishonor by using protection scrolls and prepare as best as I can. Unfortunately for me, Anomen critically misses with searing orb on his first form, which makes the fight take considerably longer and my buffs start to wear off.
I forget to take mid battle screenshots during the chaos (largely because I'm thinking about how I'm going to phrase how my run has ended), but despite some members of the party being imprisoned, I manage to finally kill him.

I had 10 scrolls of freedom before the fight started. Really though, Cap was never in sight of kangaxx, and that is what matters. Maybe I'd just take the dishonor and use the protection scrolls I were to do it again.

Next time: I decide to fight something less dangerous and stressful, like dragons or something.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling has defeated Sarevok and completed Baldur's Gate I.

The Thief's Maze is a boring straight line with nothing of interest. I ignored the Iron Throne party and talked down Tamoko.

I found this +2 Plate Mail near the Temple of Bhaal, just to the left of it in a ruined building. It must be a EE addition.

Buffed to the gills with every potion and scroll that provides a benefit. Buffs that wore off during the battle were reapplied immediately. I still had plenty of spare potions at the end.

To the battle itself, SCS makes several changes here.

First, there is a new enemy to fight. Diarmid from the end of Chapter 6 returns here. He's a Fighter equipped with Full Plate and uses a Protection from Magic scroll.
Sarevok himself is unkillable until all four of his lackeys are dead. He is literally immune to everything if all four are alive.
Finally, when one of the 4 dies, they are replaced by a Skeleton Warrior. I think these can be ignored, but I killed them anyway to be safe.

Even with those changes, it's still easier than the demon cultists. Semaj and Angelo's magic had little effect on Mr. Kipling with his 75% MR, so they soon resorted to physical attacks. Once I got Sarevok seperated from the others in a corner of the temple the battle was very easy. I had such a huge number of healing potions (doing every non-EE quest means they add up fast) that I was never in any danger of dying.

Before too long, only Sarevok remained.

He was no match for my large number of invisibility potions and fell quickly.

Honours earned.
Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Strategist: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod.

Librarian: Find every stat tome in Baldur's Gate 1.

Trap Dodger: Complete Durlag's Tower.

Melee Champion: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 without using any missile weapons.

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party.

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

Next time, I start BG2. I haven't played the game in several years, I'll be lucky to reach the Underdark.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Since HULK II's service to the town of Nashkel, he's been taking a well-earned sightseeing tour of the Sword Coast, righting wrongs,

battling nefarious assassins and bandits,

and (sigh) resurrecting Dynaheir.

(Though this should help a little.)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Glad to see HULK II doing so well, but do you have a mod that shuffles around assassins? Or did BGEE move Molkar and his pals from the Gullykin wilderness to Beregost?

VVVV Hahaha, I've become blind to the UI border! Shoulda known better

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Glad to see HULK II doing so well, but do you have a mod that shuffles around assassins? Or did BGEE move Molkar and his pals from the Gullykin wilderness to Beregost?

It's got to be a mod since he's not using BGEE.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second is doing some quests! Unfortunately, that 4 int means that he doesn't know that he already has enough gold to pay the Shadow Thieves.

The D'Arnise keep was a piece of cake. Got the flail, then took out the umber hulks with cloudkill. Torgal and his buddies were humiliated by a highly buffed party, summons (call woodland being is fantastic!), and chaos from Neera.

Rolf leaves Minsc to protect the Umar Hills while he investigates this "Valygar" fellow.

It turns out Valygar has been falsely accused, and so Rolf teams up with him to take down the Planar Sphere. Unfortunately, that is where he encounters some... problems. See, I'm playing through this by memory, which usually serves me well. I had remembered the cannibal halflings being a bit tricky, but the first few were not threatening at all, so I let my guard down. Still, I did prepare for the next group a bit. I got a couple summons to serve as meatshields and opened with Chaos from Neera and sent in Valygar for a backstab. That is when I saw the group of named, beefy guys in the back rank. Before I knew it (should have paused to assess better), half my team was confused, dead, or stunned. It was my first encounter with Power Word: Stun this run; I'll have to assume every enemy mage has it in the future.

Rolf is stunned and I'm seriously worried, but thankfully Keldorn saves him with a Dispel Magic.

That would be his last action ever. Keldorn, along with all his gear, is gone forever. gently caress. I was planning on using him as a crutch so I wouldn't have to deal with the messiness of mage rock-paper-scissors.

Well, I guess I'll have to be more cautious. I rez everyone, then think ahead. The rest of the major encounters are a couple more halflings, the elder orb, Lavok (vulnerable to breach!), the demon, Tolgerias, and the golems, right?

Well, it turns out that I, once again, underestimated the halflings, and got Jaheira turned to stone. Goddamn save or dies. Well, I'll just sort her out and wait... weren't my stone to flesh scrolls on her and Keldorn? Double gently caress. I guess I'm doing this with a four-man party, then.

Was too on edge to take pics, but Lavok went down to breach + hasted Rolf and Valygar beating on him. Managed to get Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting off first, of course. Bastard.

The Tanar'i I solved by buffing Rolf up to the gills. Courage, Chaotic Commands, Free Action, Death Ward, Draw Upon Holy Might, Righteous Magic, Haste. Defeated the mighty demon without issue. Preparation pays, kids!

Tolgerias and his buddy, though. That I was worried about. So I decided to cheese it. Spirit of the game can go to hell, it stole away Keldorn from me. So, hallelujah, Neera had just hit level six spells, which means that the two mages can eat a face full of Nishruu while the party hides in the background. I kept sending them and skeleton warriors in until Tolgerias was flat out of spells, at which point Rolf waltzed up and caved in his skull.

Hot and cold rooms weren't any trouble. The golems gave me a scare when two stone ones spawned in with my squishies, but with some luck I saved them. Finished the quest, headed to the temple of Ilmater to grab Stone to Flesh, and retrieved Jaheira. Now Rolf, saddened by the loss of his companion but with a much greater awareness of the dangers of mages, is deciding whether to help the people of the Umar Hills (and get Mazzy) or Trademeet (or Rasaad).

Small edit to bitch about game design: I'm in this thread, so you know I love these games, but seriously, who thought it would be a loving good idea to have theoretically any mage able to permanently and instantly remove one of your characters from the game? Am I supposed to be going into every encounter with death ward on every front-liner just in case there is a mage and just in case he has disintegrate memorized? That is not strategic, it is simply mandating tedium.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 29, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I think it's SCS that has the assassins spawn different places.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So it's into the Cloakwood Mines, and the saddest little mining slave. Like, guy, the sunlight is literally one floor above you. I even killed all the guards in the only outpost between you and a relatively straight shot to Candlekeep. This is not an impossible task.

Damnation but Yeslick is longwinded. I'm taking him and leaving Viconia...which since she insists on standing on the spot rather than leaving the Mines, I guess she's just going to die when I flood the place. Ah well.

Moving onward and I get loving SMITED out of nowhere. It happens to be a narrow passage so it also bounces right back and fries every enemy too, but now I have to run back and rez my dudes again. Sigh.

Which of course means loving Ettercaps.

And Wyverns. Pictured: Yeslick complaining that we're wasting time by dragging his dead body a day and a half down the road to bring him back to life.

Back to the Mines, where I walk into an ambush. It gets thwarted pretty easily by Baeloth's Wand of Fear though. That thing's handy.

This one's just a wild stab in the dark on my part, but it works. Lots of crazy people in this game love them some Cyric.

The Ogre Mage lands a Horror on me which is always bad, but Ajantis gets more or less hung up between Petunia and the doorway until it wears off. Nets me a +1 Katana that I have no real use for.

Natasha gets a stealth slinging without getting anything off. Petunia is downright nasty when she can hit and run.

Final level, drawing in the Battle Horrors. Who are ugly, ugly things and pretty much drop Ajantis in his tracks. I end up taking them out by throwing Acid Arrows with Baeloth, running for the stairs, letting it do damage and then running back. Cheap, but it works.

Back upstairs, I send a Skeleton in to eat one of Davaeorn's lightning bolts. He kills it, then process to wander around aimlessly taunting me. Er, okay.

Then he decides to run up and try to beat my group to death with his staff. I guess he ran out of spells.

That was easy. Not that I'm complaining.

So the mine is flooded, Baldur's Gate is opened and all's well that ends well. Except for Viconia who is now very dead in the water. No big loss.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea, solo Fighter/Thief has gone to Spellhold, conquered that poo poo, and moved on from the sahuagin city to the underdark. Had to reload once due to a bug at the end of the sahuagin city, but now I'm into the underdark and happily completing even more quests.

I am well into the segment of a solo run where garden variety level 20 liches are a mild nuisance, which is hilarious, because 1) garden variety liches, and 2) a level 20 primary caster being a mild nuisance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Smiling Knight posted:

Small edit to bitch about game design: I'm in this thread, so you know I love these games, but seriously, who thought it would be a loving good idea to have theoretically any mage able to permanently and instantly remove one of your characters from the game? Am I supposed to be going into every encounter with death ward on every front-liner just in case there is a mage and just in case he has disintegrate memorized? That is not strategic, it is simply mandating tedium.

I agree with you 100% and that is exactly why I dont play Ironman. I love reading this thread but gently caress my luck is far too lovely to try ironman.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

Gygax, basically?

It's not technically permanent, you can actually obtain scrolls of Freedom, the reverse of Imprisonment, and cast them in the general area in order to release the imprisoned person. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality was broken. It's just that you can't obtain them until the Underdark.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
Nobody is forcing you to play with the core rules.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Playing below core rules won't protect any of your party members from permanent death, only from being chunked by high damage. Disintegration, petrification + shattering, vorpal hit, level drain to 0, etc. still inflict permanent death on normal and easy.

edit: Unless the EEs changed this.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
Pretty sure that EE does not take away your characters, since I had Yoshimo fail a save against disintegrate yet I could still resurrect him.

In original I think the only spells that would take away a character at normal or less was Imprisonment. Maybe flesh to stone too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How disappointing.

My crew rolled into trademeet, heard that genies were being dicks, and killed the hell out of them.

This was done so that ihtafeer would remain in potion seller form, and I would then rob her blind with Jan.

Except Jan sees right through her disguise in dialogue and you have to fight her anyway.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

Gygax, basically?

It's not technically permanent, you can actually obtain scrolls of Freedom, the reverse of Imprisonment, and cast them in the general area in order to release the imprisoned person. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality was broken. It's just that you can't obtain them until the Underdark.

Nah, it was some random halfling mage in the Planar Sphere with disintegrate. I won't have to complain about Imprisonment until the Underdark, at least.

Speaking of which, Rolf the Second has done a bunch more quests and is about to pay the Shadow Thieves!.

Picked up Rasaad in Trademeet, the Druid Quest was easy as usual. Nishruu tanked Infrateer's spells and Valygar finished them off with backstabs.

Faldorn got wrecked by Jaheira, because Super Serious Druid Challenges do not forbid pre-buffing or spectators throwing the participants equipment. Finished the tanner quests and picked up the Cloak of Displacement and Belt of Inertial Barrier from the merchants. Also, the Mustard Jelly of Trademeet never gets old:

Then headed off to the Ruined Temple, where I replaced Valygar with Mazzy. Shade Lord's temple didn't pose too much trouble, as I put off fighting the Shadow Dragon. I buffed heavily for the Shade Lord fight, but he barely got off a single spell before going down:

Cleared the first floor of Watcher's Keep for the arrow case and golem book. Also almost got Rolf killed by the Guardian Golems; those things hit like trucks!

Helped Neera save her wild mage buddies from captivity, which I did by sending in more Nishruu to tank the spells while Mazzy stunlocked mages from a distance; she has 6 attacks per round with the Turgan Bow and Haste!

While back in Trademeet to find Hayes, I visited Mazzy's home to say hi. This wouldn't be interesting, except 15 seconds after leaving I get the boyfriend begging me to come help them and Rolf has no idea who they are.

I blame the 4 int.

Other than that, finished off the Priest Stronghold and Temple quests. Next time I'll be busting some vampires. Time to pack some negative plane protection!

For my bitching earlier, I do want to say playing Ironman is a lot of fun. I'm actually thinking my way through combats instead of trying to brute force them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No pictures, because I haven't done that much, but fighting the sirines was kind of hilarious. Not because they were pushovers even with HULK II being immune to charm when he's raging but because Branwen, crucially, wasn't immune to charm, and I had to imagine the Benny Hill music playing afterwards while he led her around til it wore off.

Also I have dual-classed Imoen into a mage, and sent Dynaheir off into witness protection. And promptly recruited Safana as my emergency backup thief who I think has fewer HP than Dynaheir did.

• Locked thread