Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I intend to make as stupid a party as humanly possible, led by the clown Toot Mask, master of song and blunderbuss

:iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What are the triggers?

Also, has anybody made any gimmick characters yet? Weak fights? Dimwit Wizards?

the best way to make a barbarian is high int if that counts

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I rerolled because I accidentally stole from a house and had to murder people. I already thought I hosed up by letting my party members die before getting out of the tutorial dungeon lmao.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think those guys are forced to die.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I think those guys are forced to die.

Ya, which is why it;s funny I wanted to restart because I killed them myself. I didn't realise they were scripted to die.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I think I should turn it down to Normal.... I was always really bad at infinity engine games with a full party, because I forgot to have people cast and poo poo. Both the main quest place Caed Nua and the temple in the first town are full of gay murderghosts. I've died so many times lmao.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I somehow never played an infinity engine game before, though I have played similar games like Fallout and Arcanum. So far I'm pretty into the game and intrigued to see what happens next.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPhoebos posted:

I somehow never played an infinity engine game before, though I have played similar games like Fallout and Arcanum. So far I'm pretty into the game and intrigued to see what happens next.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly I think I should turn it down to Normal.... I was always really bad at infinity engine games with a full party, because I forgot to have people cast and poo poo. Both the main quest place Caed Nua and the temple in the first town are full of gay murderghosts. I've died so many times lmao.

Autopause is your friend!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bedlamdan posted:

Autopause is your friend!

WTF.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't know what god-damned character to make!!!!!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

It'll pause the game when you cast a spell and then you'll know it's time to cast another spell

Average Bear posted:

I don't know what god-damned character to make!!!!!

Sharkman Bob Marley

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This game has insanely annoying sound glitches.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pewdiepie posted:

This. A lot of characters randomly have the cutting off voice clips thing. I almost rather that nobody was voiced.

Also, the battle music sucks bad.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

And whoever decided to replicate the combat system from arcanum should be strung up and shot 1 billion times.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

This. A lot of characters randomly have the cutting off voice clips thing. I almost rather that nobody was voiced.

Also, the battle music sucks bad.

Battle music varies. One track is really great, but there's this really boring one with lots of Skyrim style chanting and I hate it.

At least the game is mostly bug-free. Pathfinding and audio needs work, but otherwise I haven't had any problems.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i feel like i'm getting the hang of it, definitely now that i got a dude who can do the tanking. i don't mind if there's friendly fire, but i really wish there was an overlay so i could see the range of area of effects. i'm not going to visualize what 1.75 meters looks like in your video game, people.

other than that it is pretty good. my chanter looted a bunch of fireball traps and i strung some tough dudes through themand that felt cool to do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i feel like i'm getting the hang of it, definitely now that i got a dude who can do the tanking. i don't mind if there's friendly fire, but i really wish there was an overlay so i could see the range of area of effects. i'm not going to visualize what 1.75 meters looks like in your video game, people.

other than that it is pretty good. my chanter looted a bunch of fireball traps and i strung some tough dudes through themand that felt cool to do.

Go to options/game and enable area of effect highlighting. If you started the game with expert mode on, it will be disabled.

Pewdiepie posted:

Try to disable in game tutorials if you haven't already (also in options/game), they sometimes do that.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Settled on a Goldpact Paladin so I can have my character be Rational+Stoic, just like myself IRL

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Disco Infiva posted:

Go to options/game and enable area of effect highlighting. If you started the game with expert mode on, it will be disabled.

oh nice thanks

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Try to disable in game tutorials if you haven't already (also in options/game), they sometimes do that.

I disabled ingame tutorials, quest updates, and anything else that looked like it might have been causing the constant sound glitch and the only thing that worked was turning effects volume to 0.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
have you tried turning your mic off, pewdiepie?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This game is fun and good. Is there a decent resource on character builds? I'm not looking to min/max really, just want to know if there are any glaring pitfall/lovely builds/talents that I don't want to accidentally take.

I just started derping around the first town having made it there with a boring human fighter, just to get an understanding of the game. It's on hard and I almost died a couple times already. Seems like non-tanky characters would have a rough go of it at the start.

I haven't experienced any glitches yet, but tbh I'm reading the text faster than the voice actors, and not really paying attention to the audio.

My only complaint is that I'm on two monitors, and when I try and scroll the screen, it jumps to the other monitor. How do I fix this?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing this game on hard is hard, it's refreshing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im playing a paladin now and it's a lot easier. I feel like easy is way way way too easy and normal still ends up with enemies beelineing for my squishy wizard and priest and exploding them before I can do anything.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Im playing a paladin now and it's a lot easier. I feel like easy is way way way too easy and normal still ends up with enemies beelineing for my squishy wizard and priest and exploding them before I can do anything.

i havent played this game but you sound bad lol

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Swelter Discharge posted:

*smh* he should have turned on autopause

Dec 26, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This game is fun and good. Is there a decent resource on character builds? I'm not looking to min/max really, just want to know if there are any glaring pitfall/lovely builds/talents that I don't want to accidentally take.

I just started derping around the first town having made it there with a boring human fighter, just to get an understanding of the game. It's on hard and I almost died a couple times already. Seems like non-tanky characters would have a rough go of it at the start.

I haven't experienced any glitches yet, but tbh I'm reading the text faster than the voice actors, and not really paying attention to the audio.

My only complaint is that I'm on two monitors, and when I try and scroll the screen, it jumps to the other monitor. How do I fix this?

maybe poo poo gets less intuitive later but the key thing to note is that most rolls are d100 based. so +5 to an attack or defense or w/e is like +1 in D&D based games, and poo poo like +1 deflection from perception/resolve is not that meaningful

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swelter Discharge posted:

I am bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

01011001 posted:

maybe poo poo gets less intuitive later but the key thing to note is that most rolls are d100 based. so +5 to an attack or defense or w/e is like +1 in D&D based games, and poo poo like +1 deflection from perception/resolve is not that meaningful

Sweet thanks.

Don't worry bud. That's what makes this game so dope. Hard mode is really challenging and fun and that was with the tanky character. I haven't played on normal yet, but I'm guessing doing it with a squishy character could be tough.

So far my research tells me that Druid is the best class, because their spells have very high damage and really big AOE. I wanted to make a chanter but they sound kind of passive and boring to play.

edit:
oh also, are there talent respecs?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This game looks comically ugly when you zoom in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think i shouldn't have done expert mode because i have no idea what the aoe ranges on spells are and magus from chrono trigger except he's also sometimes a caustic scots-irish caricature keeps killing my dudes with his fire spell :downs:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think maybe I should have played on normal or hard, instead of doing easy trial by iron.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how is this different from baldurs gate

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've never played that one, so I don;t know.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Parallax Scroll posted:

it's not i mean it isn't dungeons and dragons but it's very bg. the cursor looks exactly the same which made me kind of chuckle like the fat nerdy gently caress bitchboy i am and they even have a dude saying 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' but that's fine, i'm down for that.

you can't scroll around the map using wasd by default, though you can change it. still, that's so loving 90s

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Parallax Scroll posted:

so get this instead of a miniature giant space hamster, you have

a miniature giant space pig

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

so get this instead of a miniature giant space hamster, you have

a miniature giant space pig

do they say go for the eyes boo or something similar when you attack

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

No D&D rules.

Also god drat this Durance guy is off his loving rocker.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You also start out stronger than some punk kid with almost zero training.

• Locked thread