Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm pretty sure Mr. Mime is an intelligent being and the fact that he still has to eat on the floor is proof that N was right. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

mateo360 posted:

There are official novella Let's Plays of some Nintendo games called Pathways to Adventure. They have the official Nintendo Seal and and everything. I'm not sure anything you have could beat that.

I own a copy of that book and it's goddamn wild. It's basically the precursor to narrative SSLPs.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Arent there some episodes where Mr. Mime is shown eating at the table? Or at least sitting at it with the other characters? Cause that really just raises further questions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just remembered that I used to call main updates "Routes" in the previous LP, and I don't know why I stopped. Gotta fix that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

EclecticTastes posted:

I own a copy of that book and it's goddamn wild. It's basically the precursor to narrative SSLPs.

I own all of them :shepicide: (Red/Blue, Snap, Gold/Silver Both books, DK64, and LoZ OoT). I've always wanted to do a SSLP with all the narration coming from the book.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

mateo360 posted:

I own all of them :shepicide: (Red/Blue, Snap, Gold/Silver Both books, DK64, and LoZ OoT). I've always wanted to do a SSLP with all the narration coming from the book.

Isn't that... just... copying the book?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

An SSLP that only needs the images? Sounds like the easiest one in the world, get cracking!

Don't mention the gimmick and see how long it takes others to figure it out.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Let me type you my favorite paragraph from the Red/Blue book: From the fight with Brock against his Onix

"Jason R Rich" posted:

Just When Charmer appeared to be winning, Onix launched an Energy attack. Charmer's HP drained to zero! This turn of events took Ash by complete surprise. With Charmer temporarily out of the fight, Ash called upon his Level 3 Rattata to finish off the greatly-weakened Onix with Tackle. It took five Tackle attacks, but Rattata was finally able to make Onix faint.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My god, it's just like LPs! That's it, time to shut these forums down for plagiarism.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Let me type you my favorite paragraph from the Red/Blue book: From the fight with Brock against his Onix

"It took 5 tackle attacks" is killing me

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Never have I been more proud of a Level 3 Rattata! :patriot:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Gen 1 was an experience. Onix these days don't learn Energy anymore!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The line for Bind was originally "X Pokemon unleashed (or possibly released) energy!" It's fine. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mateo360 posted:

jason r rich really flexing those dramatic muscles

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Bogart posted:

The line for Bide was originally "X Pokemon unleashed (or possibly released) energy!" It's fine. :colbert:

Fixed that for you.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Endorph posted:

jason r rich really flexing those dramatic muscles

Not all of us get to write the next great American novel, after all. :smith:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

mateo360 posted:

Wow, I only have the original R/B one, I knew there was one for gen 2 (didn't even realize there was one for both games!), had no clue there were that many.

Is the OoT one anything like the OoT Nintendo Power strategy guide? That also has an old school narrative LP feel.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MissileWaster posted:

Wow, I only have the original R/B one, I knew there was one for gen 2 (didn't even realize there was one for both games!), had no clue there were that many.

Is the OoT one anything like the OoT Nintendo Power strategy guide? That also has an old school narrative LP feel.

There isn't a book for both gold and silver. there's a book for Gold and Silver up to Lance, and a book for Gold and Silver from Lance to Red.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I loved that R/B book. It was just so weird for a novelization to be hyper-accurate to the game mechanics and my kid self was into that.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Kinesis is a R/B oddity I remember thinking was neat as a kid. Nothing learned the move naturally until Yellow and it wasn’t a TM. The only way to use it was metronome.

Mumbling fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 30, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Welp, looks like my Stadium save got eaten. The technical issues return. Pardon me while I shenanigans my way through the first two castles again use a legitimately obtained Alakazam to quite fairly regain my progress.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Welp, looks like my Stadium save got eaten. The technical issues return. Pardon me while I shenanigans my way through the first two castles again use a legitimately obtained Alakazam to quite fairly regain my progress.

You may want to have backups, the LP curse can strike at any moment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, my Pokemon Blue save survived because of back-ups (thank gently caress), so it's just a quick blaze through Stadium again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 09: Ride That Surf!
Disclaimer: This update introduces a Pokemon with a nickname I used for entirely literal reasons, ignorant of its other connotations, or the existence of a Pokemon with the same moniker in the fan game that shall not be named. This Drowzee/Hypno has since been renamed MAMBO FRED, but the old name will remain as it is in the pre-revelation updates for posterity.

Huh. Looks like my save disappeared. Well, I'll just have to get back to where I was. Don't worry, I'm still going to use fair play while I do it.

Ain't I a stinker?

Anyways, where were we?

Oh, right. Let's take a look at who we've got with us this time.

TUBE, BORT, WEEST, and DOG, just about as they were before, though with a bit more EV training.

And our two new members, BUMP the Diglett and SHREWBALL the Sandslash.

"Hang on, PMush, didn't you call Sandslash mediocre?"

Yes, I did. However, with its high Defense and immunity to Thunderbolt, most Electric types can't touch it, and I lack many other better options for that right now. Once WEEST evolves and gets some better attacks, Sandslash's niche will disappear, but until then, well... It's all about context.

Still not gonna use my Dig TM on it, though. (Foreshadowing...?)

Our first opponent, the Sailor, has the most type variety of anyone in Surge's castle. He's got several Water types and a Machop to punish anyone who thought they could just waltz in with six Rocks and sweep the gym without any trouble.

Slowpoke is probably his most dangerous member, Water/Psychic is good coverage, and it's got Amnesia to make itself even scarier. Nothing on his team is a joke, though, we're past the point when the early trainers are complete pushovers. Most of his Pokemon have some kind of coverage move, and all of them can do some real damage if you take them for granted. They're good!

But BORT's better.

Losses: 0

Next up is a Rocker, with five decent Electric Pokemon, and... a Porygon? Yeah, I guess that kind of makes sense.

Despite its mediocre base stats, Porygon has just enough going on to keep me from easily sweeping his team. Psybeam and Tri Attack for damage, Recover to keep it topped off, and Conversion for... if he feels like wasting a turn, I guess. Not that I'm ungrateful. He seems to always bring it, and it's always the primary obstacle in beating him.

Unfortunately for him, once it's down, he doesn't have anything left that can threaten SHREWBALL.

The Old Man is our last obstacle before Lt. Surge. He's got a team full of Fire and Poison Pokemon with powerful attacks. That Charmeleon, in particular, is rocking a dangerous Fire Blast, and anything caught in it is going to be feeling it for a while.

Real shame nothing on his team is faster than BUMP.

All the losses I didn't take before are going to catch up with me now. Surge has a formidable team. Both Voltorb and Electrode can explode for huge damage, and Magneton's got a dangerous Hyper Beam even with its paltry Attack. But none of them, none of them are as much of an obstacle as that Raichu.

A devastating Thunder, backed up by Raichu's respectable 90 Special.

And Surf, a move Pikachu can only get from Pokemon Stadium.

And its base 100 Speed is just enough to always outspeed BUMP without horrendously overtraining him, and I don't want to go through that again.

I lost three times trying to figure out a good strategy. DOG has the most potential, he'll be able to take Raichu out with two Hyper Fangs and a Quick Attack, but neither he nor BUMP is ever going to be able to get a chance, with it being both faster than everything we have, and strong enough to 2HKO everything we have. We need to either stop it from attacking, or we need to one-shot it. I take a look at my options.

Assuming they're trained about evenly, SHREWBALL has a ~90% chance to OHKO Raichu with Dig, something it'll always be able to get off as long as Raichu's Surf doesn't crit. Nothing else I have can take it out in one hit. Even WEEST's Self-Destruct can't quite KO, and that's assuming it somehow manages to get it off. It looks like I need to do it. I need to... to...

Use Drowzee. Everyone, say hello to our new friend, MUDPANTS. Offensively, there's not much she can do to Raichu, struggling to KO in fewer than six hits. Defensively, though, she's almost guaranteed to be able to survive two of anything Raichu throws at her, barring a crit, and what she can do in response is why she's here.

Hypnosis. With only 60% accuracy, it's far from a sure thing, but it's the most accurate sleep move we have right now (Sing's only got 55%, and Paras doesn't learn Spore until 27). With two chances, we've got an 85% chance to get Raichu to sleep before it brings MUDPANTS down. But if it doesn't work, or if it wakes up early...

It'll be bad. Still, it's a chance, one that doesn't require TMs. We lose a few more times while I work out the kinks, figure out the best way to exploit the opening it gives me without spending all my team on one Pokemon and then getting cleaned up by a Magneton. I try BORT's Leech Seed, I try using Disable and hoping it takes out Surf, I'm this close to just spamming Sand Attack and praying. But finally, after another few tries, I think I've got it down.

Step one, lead with MUDPANTS. Surge doesn't always start with Raichu, but he usually does. It's a fair gamble, and if he doesn't, we can switch to SHREWBALL and go from there. He does this time, so the plan can proceed.

Step two, survive Raichu's Body Slam and retaliate with Hypnosis. It lands first try this time, more luck in our favor. Maybe we'll get a repeat of Misty and he'll stay asleep for four turns.

Step three, switch out for DOG. Two Hyper Fangs and a Quick Attack, that's all we need, then we'll be on a good footing for-

poo poo.

Step four, double switch to SHREWBALL, who has a much better match-up against Magneton.

Step five, eat a Hyper Beam. Which crits, because of course it does. Strike back with two Slashes, Sandslash's best move without doing something I refuse to do.

Step six, eat another critical hit Hyper Beam because it survived the initial assault with a sliver of health.

Step seven, see that his third Pokemon is Magnemite, who has Double Edge, and decide you want to try to save SHREWBALL. Switch to DOG.

Step eight, brawl it out with Magnemite, just barely surviving a Double-Edge and a Thunderbolt, but manage to 2HKO with Hyper Fang.

Step nine, breathe a small sigh of relief, as you have now probably won. You're going to get off at least one Hyper Fang on Raichu for sure, and you can get in a Quick Attack as well even if it wakes up right away. Then, you can switch back to MUDPANTS, take that 85% chance to sleep again, and switch back to SHREWBALL, and hope he doesn't wake up before you can take it out with another Slash.

Step ten-

Rude.

Step ten, Hyper Fang!

Too late! Game over, pal!

Step eleven, Hyper Fang!

Step twelve, 必殺, でんこうせっか!

(That's 'Finishing move, Quick Attack!' in weeb.)

Losses: 6
Total Losses: 6

Step thirteen, back up your saves more thoroughly so you don't have to do this again.

Next time on Multi-Track Battling: It's time to go shopping!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 5, 2021

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I find it funny that the concept of levels and evolution means nothing to this game. Like lvl 50 Charmander? Lvl 50 Krabby? Lvl 50 Spearow?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

........does Diglett have a fur texture there?

For some reason, even though I know it’s supposed to be a mole, that freaks me out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe my screenshots are just...

:c00lbert:

Fuzzy.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

........does Diglett have a fur texture there?

Future games kinda gloss over it, but yes. Diglet has fur.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah, just take a look at this:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:DiglettBaseSet47.jpg

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh man, that loving surfing raichu. As a dumbass kid playing this game just with rentals, I remember that raichu repeatedly wiping entire teams on its own.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 10: It's A Revolving Door Of Pokemon!

Hi, Lt. Surge!

Bye, Lt. Surge! And with that, we have access to Thunderbolt, and soon, there will be two equally tempting users.

We just have to get there first. On Route 9, we find Teleport, another TM that's useless in battle. At least this one can be used for glitches and lazy returning to Pokemon Centers, though.

And on Route 10, we find Voltorb!

Voltorb
Viability: 2/5
Electrode is another Pokemon like Wigglytuff: One very high stat and the rest quite mediocre. In Electrode's case, that is Speed, an incredible 140. Unlike Wigglytuff, however, the rest of its stats aren't completely awful. That 80 Special lets it hit decently hard with Electric moves... none of which it learns naturally. Not even Thundershock. Even its gimmick of being the fastest Explosion user doesn't really stand out, as its 50 Attack keeps it from taking advantage of that. It's got what's at least a theoretically useful gimmick, which is why it avoids the dreaded 1/5, but only barely.

On to Rock Tunnel! I realize after walking in that I forgot to give something Flash, but I refuse to go back out and grab that Voltorb I just caught from the box, so I guess we're wall-bumping!

We fight some dudes...

And make some friends!

Machop
Viability: 3/5
Machop evolves just before the cut-off point for Erika's gym, so it's actually got something of a use in this run. 100 Attack isn't awful, and we're about to get access to Submission TMs, so it even has a reliable STAB move. The recoil and its low Speed and 80/70/60 defenses really hold it back, but between now and Saffron City, I can probably get some decent use out of it.

Onix
Viability: 1/5
Onix is another story entirely. Again with one stat being excellent at the cost of all the others! Onix has the opposite problem as Wigglytuff, an incredible Defense, but a base HP of 35, and an even lower Special. It's got 70 Speed, which isn't the worst, but its 45 Attack keeps it from doing anything worthwhile with it. If I was going to use early-game Wrap spam, I would legitimately rather use Arbok. Or something else coming up soon!

Ten minutes of Doomguy impressions later, we're out of the cave and into Lavender Town, where I could change my nicknames if I ever gave any of my Pokemon a bad nickname. Hasn't happened yet, but maybe one day.

Route 8 is up next. There's only one new Pokemon here, but it is a doozy.

Vulpix
Viability: 5/5
Most Fire-type Pokemon in RBY have a problem. They learn Ember quickly... and then absolutely no other Fire-type moves until almost endgame. Even unevolved, most of them aren't learning Flamethrower until the mid-40s or even 50s. In a challenge like this, that's a problem. Vulpix, by contrast, learns Flamethrower at 35. Even Charmeleon just barely squeaks by learning it before Koga, but that means keeping it unevolved for Erika. Ninetales doesn't have this problem, as long as you catch two, a very easy task. And its stats aren't bad, either! 73/75/100 defenses, 76/100 offenses, and 100 Speed make it a formidable Pokemon even before it gets the moves it really wants. And did I mention it learns Confuse Ray by level-up, too, just for extra shenanigans?

Growlithe
Viability: 3.5/5
Arcanine's not a bad Pokemon. 90/80/80 defenses are nice, and it's got 110 Attack, giving its Normal moves a decent punch. It even has Agility to turn its 95 Speed into something truly fearsome! Buuuuut that's not enough to make up for its shortcomings in comparison with Ninetales. Having three very common weaknesses severely undercuts its bulk, and the 20 points lost in Special keep it from really sweeping with Fire moves the way it'd like to. Which is even more of a problem because Growlithe does not learn Flamethrower until level 50. I will literally have the Fire Blast TM before I can legally use that.

Arcanine is a good dog, to be sure. Ninetales is just gooder.

And speaking of good dogs...

Eevee
Viability: ?/5
Eevee's whole gimmick is its versatility. Able to evolve into three different forms based on what your team needs, I can't evaluate it under a single umbrella, I need to look at all of them individually. Starting with...

Vaporeon
Viability: 4/5
Hey, look, another pretty good Water-type! Vaporeon's gimmick is being an absolutely monstrous wall. The obvious gap in its 130/60/110 defenses is shored up by being the only Pokemon besides Muk to learn Acid Armor, the best Defense-boosting move in RBY. It learns Sand-Attack from Eevee, as well as the obligatory Hydro Pump and, in Yellow, Aurora Beam. That 110 Special means that even Venusaur and Jolteon can't guarantee a 2HKO. However, its low Speed, otherwise shallow movepool, and lack of recovery keep it from really being all it could be, and specifically, make it compare unfavorably to Starmie, who fills a similar niche, but with a much higher speed.

Jolteon
Viability: 4.5/5
In RBY competitive, Jolteon is a Pokemon that is in direct competition with Zapdos, one that it often wins out! 130 Speed make it the fastest viable Pokemon in the entire challenge, and give it an incredible 25% critical hite rate. Coming off of its 110 Special, that makes its Thunderbolts absolutely terrifying. That is a very, very good trick, and it is... basically the only one Jolteon knows. With 65 Attack and no Special coverage moves, Jolteon is hard walled by anything that resists or is immune to Electric, and its high Speed comes at the cost of HP, giving it a glaring weakness not just to Ground, but to physical attacks in general (although learning Reflect by TM does help a bit with that). Even one, just one good coverage move, or more bulk, and I'd gladly give Jolteon a 5/5, but without any way to diversify, it's close but no cigar.

Flareon
Viability: 2.5/5
Scroll up a bit. You see all that stuff I said about Arcanine? Crank that up to 11. Every -eon gets a 130, and Flareon's got it in Attack. Its 110 Special is no slouch either, a benefit it has over Arcanine. However, its Speed, rather than being 95 with Agility, is 65, with no way to boost it, and it has those same 65/60 physical defenses. It also takes the longest to learn Flamethrower, at 54. That is after Giovanni. And, again, no coverage moves to speak of. I wish I could rate Flareon better. It's very cute, very fluffy, and its idle animation in Stadium is rudely shaking its butt at the opponent. It's just... It's just not very good.

You know what is good? Clumsy segues! Gambling! With infinite money, the entire Game Corner is our oyster, and I can keep getting more and more coins for as long as my patience to dissociate while mashing A holds out. But what are we spending it on?

Lots of things! The TMs are Dragon Rage (eh), Hyper Beam (better in cartridge than Stadium), and Substitute (niche, but useful)! And as for the Pokemon!

And as for the Pokemon...

Scyther
Viability: 2/5
Hoo boy is Bug bad in Gen 1. Scyther has some great stats! 110 Attack, with
naturally-learned Swords Dance, 105 Speed, even its 70/80/55 defenses could be worse. Real shame it has nothing to do. It has no moves that use either of its STABs, its best naturally learned attack is Slash, which is a complete nonbo with Swords Dance in Gen 1, and it has an incredibly long list of bad weaknesses, on both sides of the spectrum. If you really, really want to use it, Scyther can certainly do alright, filling a similar "spam Slash forever" niche as Persian, but there's just so many other Pokemon that does what it does better.

Pinsir
Viability: 1.5/5
We don't get Scyther in Blue, though. We get Pinsir. Look at all of Scyther's problems, then take away half its weaknesses.. and 30 points in Speed. 125 Attack and nothing to do with it. 65/100/55 defenses that don't remotely make up for its weaknesses. One really, really bad Pokemon.

Porygon
Viability: 1.5/5
I'm going to level with you all. I didn't even actually get a Porygon. 6500 coins is just too many for something this disappointing. There's a term in Magic the Gathering, a "dead fish strategy." That is, a plan that can only work if your opponent does absolutely nothing for the entire setup. Porygon is the Pokemon equivalent of that. Sharpen boosts its Attack, Agility raises its Speed, Recover restores its HP... and its stats guarantee that none of that actually matters. I mean, sure, if your opponent just sits there and lets you buff up for 3-4 turns, Porygon can do some damage, but if they do, it's just out of pity from when they see you trying to use Porygon.

Dratini
Viability: ARGH/5
Do you want to be annoying? Do you want to be the most horrendous, irritating piece of poo poo to ever play Pokemon? Has Untitled Goose Game awoken a desire in you to be an unmitigated bastard to everyone you meet? Then oh boy do I have the Pokemon for you! From the moment you get it, Dratini has all the tools it needs to be a controller-thrower of a bastard: Thunder Wave, Wrap, and Agility. Agility brings its 80 Speed up to something unmatched without a boost, and then Thunder Wave and Wrap together lock the opponent down for as long as your luck holds out. Now, in the long run, this probably isn't going to deal much more damage than just a Body Slam off of its 134 Attack, but that's not why you use Dragonite. You use Dragonite if you want your opponent to never, ever play Pokemon with you again.

We've got one more Pokemon to go before we get into our shopping spree, and it's another good one! Thank gently caress, I'm tired of writing about how things are disappointing.

Doduo
Viability: 4.5/5
Fearow is very, very lucky. Doduo evolves at 31, two levels past Erika's max, while Spearow learns Drill Peck exactly at that same maximum. This gives it one more day in the sun before Dodrio steals its lunch and eats it in front of them. 110 Attack and 110 Speed makes Dodrio a Pokemon with another simple, very obvious gimmick. "Go fast, peck out eyeballs." With STAB on Drill Peck and Tri Attack (both of which it learns naturally), and even Hyper Beam, it's a Pokemon with a lot of oomph. It's not quite as fast as Jolteon, and it's even more frail, having poor 60/70/60 defenses, but it's something that can punch giant holes in any team that doesn't have a member fast or bulky enough to resist this bird-shaped wrecking ball. It's walled by Rocks and Electrics, and doesn't have any coverage moves, so it also misses out on the rare 5/5, but only just barely.

Fun fact, in my HeartGold run, I would always have my Dodrio in the lead so she would follow me, and then when I pulled out my bike, I would pretend I was riding on her back. Her name was Harley. :3:

While we're here, I also grab the HM for Fly. Everything I'd want to use it on is going to learn Drill Peck sooner rather than later, but it's still convenient to have for getting around.

That's enough words about Pokemon, let's make some words about a joke I've used before!

Lots of TMs here, in varying degrees of usefulness. The important ones here are Double Team, Reflect, Mega Kick, Take Down, and Submission, all of which are quite reasonably priced. I probably won't be using Double Team, that's kind of cheating, but I pick up several of each of the others. Our team's finally gonna be getting some coverage moves!

The TM for Counter is here, which only works on Normal and Fighting moves in Gen 1, for whatever reason. Chansey's probably the best user of it, as it has both the high HP to take and return a lot of damage, and the recovery to keep it from being a one-time thing. Nothing else really prefers using it over just hitting with an attack that doesn't require prediction.

Two floors up, we can get X items, and, more importantly, vitamins. Vitamins are great. Up until this point, I've been fudging numbers and using Shenanigans to simulate EV training my entire team. Now that I have infinite money and access to the Celadon Department Store, I don't have to do that quite so much any more, and every Pokemon will have, at minimum, half of the maximum EVs in every stat. That's going to be an excellent across-the-board boost.

Finally, the roof! We grab two waters, a soda, and a lemonade from the machine. I then Shenanigans mash A until I have 99 more lemonades, since they're the best healing item I have access to right now, and it's just more convenient than using Super Potions.

Now let's give one of each to this little girl and make her brother deal with the sugar rush we're going to be subjecting her to.

Rock Slide, the only source of a Rock-type attacking move that isn't the horrendously inaccurate Rock Throw. Ice Beam, a very nice coverage move that lots of Pokemon, Water and otherwise, are going to want to get their hands on. And Tri Attack. ...most of the Pokemon who can learn it already do so naturally, but after such an influx of good TMs, I'm okay with one being kind of a stinker.

Seems like I forgot a floor, didn't I? I didn't forget, I was just waiting for a dramatically appropriate moment. There are two excellent Electric-type Pokemon we've got access to right now, but only one Thunderbolt TM. Who are we going to be using it on? Watch this space, I've got a direct side-by-side comparison post coming up very soon, and a poll with it to vote for which one I'll be using.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: Raichu vs. Jolteon!

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.5:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.5:
1.0:
Other:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 7, 2019

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Obviously we use the TM on Raticate because it can somehow learn it. Seriously though, I’d probably use it on Jolteon, because it’s the goodest boi/girl until we get Sylveon in Gen 6.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Save it for Starmie.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wow cannot believe you're ignoring Jolteon's coveted physical coverage of *checks notes* Double Kick (AT LEVEL FORTY TWO) and Pin Missile (AT LEVEL FORTY E I G H T)

pin missile, the move just SO GOOD it's only on Beedrill & Jolteon in gen 1!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, why do you need to get two Vulpixes?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon Center 3: Sparks Are Flying In This Heated Match!

It's time for another in-depth viability analysis, and it's a two-for-one special! Thunderbolt is the only Electric move we're going to get access to before things start learning Thunder in the mid-40s. Until then, we've got to decide who's getting it. Rather than rate one, then the other, I'm going to directly compare the two in every category. Once again, we're going though Power, Bulk, Speed, Width, and Depth.

Power: This is something of a toss-up. Jolteon's Special is 20 points higher, but Raichu's Attack is 25 points higher. Both of them can hit hard with STAB Thunderbolt or Thunder, but Jolteon is more specialized in dealing lots of damage with its Electric attacks, while Raichu trades some Special attack in exchange for decent physical blows, especially with Mega Kick.

Bulk: Jolteon actually wins this one. Jolteon has slightly higher base HP and Defense, and significantly higher Special, which means it's gonna take hits a little better on both sides. Neither is going to survive an Earthquake, and the physical bulk difference is extremely marginal, but the 20 extra points in Special does mean that there are a few situations where Jolteon might survive an attempted 2HKO that Raichu wouldn't. They're not common situations, but they're there.

Speed: Jolteon wins this one handily. Raichu's 100 Speed isn't bad, far from it, but Jolteon has 130, which is the same as Mewtwo. This means that Jolteon will always outspeed Starmie, Dodrio, Tentacruel, and a few others. Raichu gets Agility, which can bring it over the threshold into being faster, but it does need to survive a hit in order to get it off. This Speed difference also gives Jolteon a 6% higher crit rate, which makes it a tiny bit more likely to get that crucial critical hit in the clutch.

Width: Here's where Raichu starts to shine. Mega Kick, Submission, Seismic Toss... Raichu's got access to a decent number of moves that Jolteon doesn't. Once we beat Round 1, we'll also get access to one with Surf, but that's not going to be relevant for a while yet, although there was a Nintendo Power event that gave away Surfing Pikachu. I'm willing to fudge the rules and jump back in time 20 years to get one of those, if Raichu wins out. There are also, apparently, event Pikachu with Fly, as well, although that one is Japanese CoroCoro exclusive, and so I can't reasonably say I could get one, thanks to my no-trading clause. Jolteon's only got two exclusive moves over Raichu: Pin Missile, which is only significantly more effective against Pokemon double-weak to Bug. Even Kadabra takes slightly more damage from Thunderbolt, on average, thanks to Jolteon's terrible Attack. It also picks up Sand Attack from Eevee, though, which has better accuracy than Flash and can thus theoretically be stacked with Double Team for absolute shenanigans.

Depth: If either of them had good depth, we wouldn't be here. Pikachu learns Thunder at 43, so it won't be helpless if we choose Jolteon for now, while Jolteon needs to wait until 54 to learn it, something that won't be happening until the Elite Four. Both of them learn Thunder Wave, Agility, and Quick Attack by level, and while Jolteon learns a few other moves like Double Kick and, again, Pin Missile, it doesn't really have much business using them.

Overall: This is, at its heart, a question between focus and flexibility. Jolteon is good at one thing, but it is very, very good at it. Raichu, meanwhile, has coverage options and a bit more utility. Both are good Pokemon, but I rated Jolteon slightly higher, as being excellent at one thing often pays better dividends than being pretty good at a lot of things.

There is also a third option.

Both of these Pokemon do learn Thunder eventually, Pikachu getting it just in time for Koga even. There are, however, many other Pokemon who can't say that. The Nidos, Clefable, Haunter, Chansey, Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Gyarados, Lapras... there is a long list of Pokemon who wouldn't mind having an Electric coverage move. Most of them can also use the Thunder TM, which we'll be getting once we can Surf, but saving both will give us extra options. It's just something to consider.

You've probably already made your choice, but I've yet to make mine, so let's hear what you have to say!

Poll will stay open until it's obvious one side is winning, or I get restless to start working on the next update.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, why do you need to get two Vulpixes?
Evolve one for Erika now, train up a second one until it learns Flamethrower and evolve it before Koga.

gishou
May 9, 2017
In gen one poison is weak to bug so pin missile is better then thunderbolt for gass types other then tangela...

Not that this matters much with how late jolteon learns it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Also because Jolteon has no physical attack and Bug is a physical type in Gen 1.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pin Missile is viable on Jolteon because the moveset is so limited, it's not like you're going to teach something better instead. Even Mimic occasionally showed up in competitive sets because Jolteon and Jynx and Rhydon basically only had three moves, so you had to teach something for a fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you are willing to time travel and get a Raichu with Surf then go with Raichu if not, save it for Zapdos give it to Jolteon.