Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just unlocked the Reliquary and Prochecies and wow... this game just opened up even more! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, this Purgatorian build seems to clear 5 instability on depth 200+ fairly easily, and I'm not even done experimenting with it (and the darksulker is still unfused).

Though, anyone know if there is a way to get creatures to immediately provoke when they get resurrected?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
hold me closer, shiny amber

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Well, this Purgatorian build seems to clear 5 instability on depth 200+ fairly easily, and I'm not even done experimenting with it (and the darksulker is still unfused).

Though, anyone know if there is a way to get creatures to immediately provoke when they get resurrected?

I can't think of any trait that does this. The best I can think of is either:
- cast a spell on being resurrected with a spell that causes the creature to provoke. I don't know how targeting works, it might randomly target the main creature?
- the phoenix trait that gives resurrected creatures a 50% chance to jump to the to of the timeline. You would probably chain through all of your creatures until they got the res cap if you're using hubbub.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cytoc posted:

I can't think of any trait that does this. The best I can think of is either:
- cast a spell on being resurrected with a spell that causes the creature to provoke. I don't know how targeting works, it might randomly target the main creature?
- the phoenix trait that gives resurrected creatures a 50% chance to jump to the to of the timeline. You would probably chain through all of your creatures until they got the res cap if you're using hubbub.

That could work, I am considering throwing in either the mite that gives every creature a chance to immediately resurrect upon dying based on number of already dead cretures, or the unicorn that resurrects on attack (since with Purgatorian, dead creatures attack every other turn).

Leaning towards the unicorn, since I get the feeling the mite is just gonna stat cap me right away.

Edit: and since I only need one of them to get to the front of the timeline because of hubhub, and the dead creatures attack 5+ times = 5 resurrects, I'd say the odds are pretty high. Time to test this out.
Edit2: Goddamnit game, stop giving me 80%+ chance to dodge in hidden properties, I am rerolling those modifiers for a reason.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 21, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Broken Cog posted:

That could work, I am considering throwing in either the mite that gives every creature a chance to immediately resurrect upon dying based on number of already dead cretures, or the unicorn that resurrects on attack (since with Purgatorian, dead creatures attack every other turn).

Leaning towards the unicorn, since I get the feeling the mite is just gonna stat cap me right away.

Edit: and since I only need one of them to get to the front of the timeline because of hubhub, and the dead creatures attack 5+ times = 5 resurrects, I'd say the odds are pretty high. Time to test this out.
Edit2: Goddamnit game, stop giving me 80%+ chance to dodge in hidden properties, I am rerolling those modifiers for a reason.

Yeah 80+% chance to dodge and auto scorned/silence are like, literally the only traits I reroll for.

Not because they're dangerous, just because they're so incredibly annoying.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
How do you know hidden properties? Also, there's a nix that autoattacks 3x on ally death so I am about to go hogwild with the unicorn.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

30.5 Days posted:

How do you know hidden properties? Also, there's a nix that autoattacks 3x on ally death so I am about to go hogwild with the unicorn.

Hold F. You can do that in the middle of battle too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does the Royal Phoenix trait even work? Doesn't feel like it ever triggers.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah 80+% chance to dodge and auto scorned/silence are like, literally the only traits I reroll for.

Not because they're dangerous, just because they're so incredibly annoying.
I actually don't mind the scorn/silence mods right now because my build is set up that it can do either attacking or casting. Reduced stat gains hurt a bit though.

30.5 Days posted:

They are only hidden until you enter the map, then you can do as Yami said, open the map and press F.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also is it always better to use instability 5 vs. 0? I see it increases item drops, but does that mean that I should crank as high as I can go instability 0 for easy XP before worrying about how I'm going to grind for items, etc.? Also does it include currencies or just treasure drops?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Does the Royal Phoenix trait even work? Doesn't feel like it ever triggers.

I actually don't mind the scorn/silence mods right now because my build is set up that it can do either attacking or casting. Reduced stat gains hurt a bit though.

They are only hidden until you enter the map, then you can do as Yami said, open the map and press F.

I mean yes, so can mine.

I just want to hold E, though :v:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Also is it always better to use instability 5 vs. 0? I see it increases item drops, but does that mean that I should crank as high as I can go instability 0 for easy XP before worrying about how I'm going to grind for items, etc.? Also does it include currencies or just treasure drops?

This really depends on your build tbh, instability can be BRUTAL. if it hits your build's weaknesses even a single point can cripple. Don't be afraid to tone it down just enough to remove a few points (if you rely on reviving, no way can you handle a "no revive" instability) or reroll completely if you want to keep it on and have the power

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dackel posted:

This really depends on your build tbh, instability can be BRUTAL. if it hits your build's weaknesses even a single point can cripple. Don't be afraid to tone it down just enough to remove a few points (if you rely on reviving, no way can you handle a "no revive" instability) or reroll completely if you want to keep it on and have the power

I understand how instability works, I'm asking what are the benefits of lowering instability to run a higher depth vs. staying at a particular depth to keep a higher instability. Is it better to do one versus the other depending on what my current goals are? Which goals benefit from one or the other?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

30.5 Days posted:

I understand how instability works, I'm asking what are the benefits of lowering instability to run a higher depth vs. staying at a particular depth to keep a higher instability. Is it better to do one versus the other depending on what my current goals are? Which goals benefit from one or the other?
Going deeper is this games progression. You can always delve as far as you can without instability, then go back and farm easier levels with high instability, but it's probably gonna be slower than if you have a build that can handle high instability on the deepest levels you can reach.
Also, I think Piety is affected by instability as well, so if you delve with high, you're probably getting more than if not.

Other than that it seems like a wash.

Oh yeah, and if you like doing the Grail stuff, you get a lot more progression with high instability on deeper levels. I only care about that when it shows up on prophecies though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I understand it's better to do deeper levels at higher instability. I'm asking about the difference between shallower at higher instability and deeper at lower instability.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nether gems get better with depth, and you'll get more of them with high instability. I haven't noticed a noticeable difference in crafting materials, but it feels like I get 2xgod currencies occasionally now as well.

Other than that? I don't know.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

I understand it's better to do deeper levels at higher instability. I'm asking about the difference between shallower at higher instability and deeper at lower instability.

I would always do deepest possible depth and lower instability if you need to, or lower it is your hit a boss you can't handle at that instability.

As mentioned, you get better netherstones when deeper. You also get piety for completing yotu max depth quests and you'll also get more race masters as well as getting closer to unlocking gate of the gods if you're not already able to do it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Reminder to check the Nether shop occasionally, some build-defining items can show up there.

Wish I saw this before I gave up on my invisibility build:

Edit: Man, look at this thing:

Probably never even gonna use it lol

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i messed up and fused my unicorn vivifier with my cursed leper

i have the perk that makes my animatus fuse with the #2 position creature, and was fusing him with my unicorn vivifier so every time my animatus attacked soemthing else would get ressed, so other stuff getting killed could keep feeding him stats when they die over and over. I'd hoped he would fused with the combined leper unicorn, but he just inherits the leper's corpse explosion trait, which is decent but not as good. I've been using corpse explosion a lot by having my cave cockatrice casting affliction over and over so when anything dies the leper casts like 5 corpse explosions which can chain into killing the entire other team.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i messed up and fused my unicorn vivifier with my cursed leper

i have the perk that makes my animatus fuse with the #2 position creature, and was fusing him with my unicorn vivifier so every time my animatus attacked soemthing else would get ressed, so other stuff getting killed could keep feeding him stats when they die over and over. I'd hoped he would fused with the combined leper unicorn, but he just inherits the leper's corpse explosion trait, which is decent but not as good. I've been using corpse explosion a lot by having my cave cockatrice casting affliction over and over so when anything dies the leper casts like 5 corpse explosions which can chain into killing the entire other team.

There is definitely some sort of rule about which Trait gets absorbed, and I'm PRETTY sure it's only the trait of the creature whose body type you see? I did something very similar and was trying to use Vacuum to duplicate the Pyromaniac trait onto another unit, but it would only steal their other ability every time.

I've kind of abandoned even casting spells at all for damage because the enemy stats are getting so high, but I've gotten Pyromaniac to be so juiced up that it wipes basically every fight on the first turn. The only way I've really been able to squeeze any additional damage out of my build is using the monster who makes the enemy take 7% more damage for every status ailment they have and then multicasting Affliction

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can you get artifact trait items for any trait in the game, or is it a smaller list? I'm only like 35 floors in so there are many mechanics I haven't seen, trying to plan for the future.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CubeTheory posted:

Can you get artifact trait items for any trait in the game, or is it a smaller list? I'm only like 35 floors in so there are many mechanics I haven't seen, trying to plan for the future.

If you can't I think it says in the Bestiary, the only one I know of off the top of my head is the Treasure Golem. You also cannot get the traits of most of the bosses either (though you can get slightly weaker/different but same thematically from the Nether shop after beating them).

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

cytoc posted:

I would always do deepest possible depth and lower instability if you need to, or lower it is your hit a boss you can't handle at that instability.

As mentioned, you get better netherstones when deeper. You also get piety for completing yotu max depth quests and you'll also get more race masters as well as getting closer to unlocking gate of the gods if you're not already able to do it.

I think the one exception is card farming, as apparently the card's drop rates aren't affected by instability and increasing instability makes the monsters that show up in a realm much more varied, thus finding specific ones to get them to the candle level becomes unlikely and making the fights take much longer.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any tips on the floor 27 boss? my team can’t cut through the barriers fast enough which is bad because most of my heavy damage comes from the animatus’s corpse explosion

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Any tips on the floor 27 boss? my team can’t cut through the barriers fast enough which is bad because most of my heavy damage comes from the animatus’s corpse explosion

If you have the spell Reality Warp it's an instant win.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

the vast, vast majority of them

When you unlock the candle and missions, trait materials become much more relevant, since you have a (long, very grindy) path to on-demand materials for monsters in your bestiary.

perc2
May 16, 2020

DrManiac posted:

I had the same problem and I basically built a completely different team and levelled them back up, Blood Mage with very high damage output monsters, and two spellcasters with the spell that turns all buffs into debuffs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm having problems with Spoonor. Poison keeps killing my dudes before my debuffs can get to work. :(

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having problems with Spoonor. Poison keeps killing my dudes before my debuffs can get to work. :(

There is some creature around there that reduces nondirect damage by 80%, did the trick for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Suicide squad update: Found this guy:

who turns out is pretty good when 5/6 of your team mostly exists to pass on a % of their stats!
Can regularly get to 500k+ Atk, Int and Def during battles now. And I still haven't found anything to fuse my Darksulker with.

Also, there's a pretty neat skin if you check the mailbox today.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So I'm still chugging along with my sunk cost monk build even though the game makes it really easy to respec (at least, once you've unlocked a class). But I did have an interesting idea for a tank:

Defer Pain (take 90% of damage at the beginning of next turn)
Pegasus (absorb all fatal damage from allies)
On artifact, Laughing Wisp (immune to debuffs, 50% reduced damage, most importantly sends you to the bottom of the timeline when you take damage)

Combined with some healing and a res option when something goes wrong it seems like it'd make your team unkillable.

EDIT: Ah, indirect damage doesn't trigger pegasus.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 23, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
When buildcrafting I found it was easier to write down what races had what sorts of bonuses, sort my bestiary by race and go shopping like that. If it helps people, here it is:

pre:
Abomination - Vulnerable and Weak debuffs
Alemental - Fun with debuffs
Amaranthine - Defense stat
Amphisbaena - Splitting key events into two smaller events in order to trigger more effects
Apis - Hard to understand, I guess support stuff around protecting ourself & others from attack damage
Apocalypse - Permanent bonuses based on number of turns since start of battle
Arachnalisk - Combination Snared & Poisoned
Aspect - Dodging
Asura - Crits
Automaton - Negative effects on enemies at the start of turn
Banshee - Get a specific free spell at start of battle, bonus effects when casting it
Bard - Various buffs that apply to all your creatures.  In particular, "half of attack damage uses X stat"
Bat - Effects after an ally attacks
Brownie - Effects after this creature attacks
Carbuncle - More casting since start of battle = more power
Carnage - Effects after this creature kills a creature
Carver - Improving attacks, usually for "this creature"
Centaur - Improving attacks, usually generating new attacks for "this creature" on various events
Cerberus - This creature can't cast spells manually, but cast a random spell on some event, or receive some other benefit for having gems.
Clutcher - Effects after an enemy dodges
Cockatrice - Manipulating class and race
Concoction - Disarmed debuff and other fiddling with enemy artifacts
Construct - Arsenal Spells
Cruncher - Gem sealing
Crusader - Making things unkillable with buffs and extra healing
Demigod - Hard to understand- mainly fiddling with health and defense but not always
Devil - Bonuses based on enemy class
Diabolic Horde - Tribal bonuses
Djinn - Bonuses for spellcasting & intelligence.  Mainly provides bonuses based on spell gems & charges
Doomguard - Tankiness, mainly to adjacent creatures or all creatures
Dragon - Reduces enemy stats in response to events
Dryad - Fun with buffs
Dumplings - Tribal bonuses
Efreet - Burning
Eft - Tribal bonuses
Ent - Mending buff and tankiness effects in response to events
Fiend - Berserk
Forsaken - Start battle with big bonus, get worse every turn
Gargantuan - Triggered effects, usually at start of your turns, usually as a result of recent enemy activity
Gargoyle - Chaos spells
Gemling - Spell gem properties
Ghoul - Speed stat
Giant - Health stat and tankiness
Golem - Random bonuses, most are "this creature".  
Gorgon - Stone
Griffon - Tribal bonuses
Grimoire - Spellcasting
Harpy - Blind
Hound - Dire wolves
Hunter - Tribal bonuses
Imler & Imling - Tribal bonuses
Imp - Nature spells
Inquisitor - Minions
Koloss - Health
Leech - Leeching
Lich - Death spells
Maniac - Effect on killed, killing your own creatures, etc.
Manticore - Attack stat, effects on  your creatures attack
Masochist - Debuffs on enemies and also themselves
Mimic - It's a mimic
Minotaur - Effects triggered by taking damage, being attacked, having less % health
Mite - Debuffs
Mogwai - It's a mogwai
Mummy - Cursed & attacks
Nix - Completely random stuff
Occultist - Intelligence and spellcasting
Ophan - Life spells
Ossein - After your creatures are resurrected
Paragon - Major effects that affect both allies and enemies
Phase Warrior - Major effects for all your creatures
Phoenix - On death and on resurrection effects
Pilwiz - Bleeding
Pit worm - Offensive start of turn effects
Pit wraith - Damage increasing and health reducing effects
Plague Doctor - Debuff manipulation
Priest - At the start of this creature's turn, buff everyone
Purrghast - I'ts purrghast
Raven - Intelligence
Reaper - Attack something with less than 35% health, kill it and receive some effect
Rift Dancer - All effects that activate when some event occurs happen more
Salamander - On some event, your creatures cast one of their spells at random
Sanctus - Completely random stuff
Satyr - Limit actions enemies can take per turn
Shambler - Blighted
Seraph - Receive some bonus if creature has performed some action at least once this battle
Shade - Invisible
Shapeshifter - When allies do bad things to each other, good things happen.  When you do good things to enemies, bad things happen instead.
Sin - Completely random stuff
Siren - Apply debuffs or stat reductions to enemies
Skeleton - Empower attacks
Slime - After this creature gains benefit, your other creatures gain benefit.  This creature has debuff, damage from debuff hurts enemies.
Smith - Manipulating artifacts, bonuses from artifacts
Smog - Poisoned
Snaptrap - Send enemy to bottom of timeline on some event
Soulflayer - After a member of your most common race do thing, other members do as well
Sparktail - Deal damage after taking damage
Spectre - After event, reduce enemy stats
Sphinx - Build-your-own tribal build with class instead of race
Spirit - After your creatures are healed, they receive effect
Stag - Make spell gem properties stronger
Storm - While this creature is above 90% health, receive effect
Tremor - Prevent enemies from acting
Unguided - Class manipulation
Unicorn - After this creature attacks, receive effect
Valkyrie - Mostly generating effects in response to enemy aggression
Voidlord - Repelling
Vortex - Prevent spell damage
Vulpes - Receive benefit for non-ethereal spell gems, mostly randomly casting some at start of battle
Waspid - Tribal bonuses
Watcher - This creature deals more damage based on some condition
Wight - Bonuses based on deaths and resurrections
Wisp - Major bonus, but after this creature takes damage it is sent to the bottom of the timeline.
Wolpertinger - Casting, mostly scourge spells
Wyvern - Do bad effect on enemy in response to magic-related event
Yeti - Frozen

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

That will be useful! Thanks! :D
I can edit it into the OP when I get back to my computer

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

does the grovetender's +1 to casting perk affect the herbling's spells it automatically casts at the start of the turn?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Stand Alone Complex has some downsides I guess you could say.

Vitja likes to provoke, and has a trait that prevents her from taking damage while her gems live. Since Stand Alone Complex means I don't even get a prompt for his turn, my game is now soft locked as these morons keep wet noodle fighting back and forth and doing zero damage to each other.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm playing necromancer and it generally feels really effective, zombies beat the hell out of everything while writhelings debuff all the enemies, but I've only seen a couple of creatures that actually play into summoning minions so my team is sort of a slapdash of things with big attack.. Are they just not well supported early game?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Carcer posted:

I'm playing necromancer and it generally feels really effective, zombies beat the hell out of everything while writhelings debuff all the enemies, but I've only seen a couple of creatures that actually play into summoning minions so my team is sort of a slapdash of things with big attack.. Are they just not well supported early game?

There are a bunch of traits surrounding minions but I couldn't say when their creatures are first seen.

Overall minions are a totally new mechanic with Ultimate so it's not surprising that they're not as supported as other builds.

Dire wolves seem really cool with all the hound traits. I used them for a while to give some bite (ha) to my weaker attackers.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Carcer posted:

There's some good options for dire wolves right off the bat with the Hounds in the first area, but they don't introduce general minion stuff until Eternity's End, I believe.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I didn't see any hounds in the first area, do I have to do anything special for them to appear? I've just beaten the level 27 boss, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Carcer posted:

I didn't see any hounds in the first area, do I have to do anything special for them to appear? I've just beaten the level 27 boss, for reference.

If you press right while selecting a realm, you can see what kind of creatures spawn there, just look for hound. Might also not want to take any instability, as it makes monsters from other areas show up.