Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steve Yun posted:

What’s the back story on Linda Montanti

She's a career assistant director. Which usually means your great at project managing and scheduling but too unlikable to get the backing to make the jump to producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Holy poo poo, she was the 1st AD on The Barber.

Pretty much all of you guys don't know, but The Barber was a feature that was made through my film school's independent film production wing (know a few people who worked on it), and it ended up being the only film released before it got shut down because it turned out to be a money laundering operation.

The movie itself is terrible but I digress.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1697336120856465776?s=46

https://nerdist.com/article/amc-net...ume-production/

AMC strikes a deal to let three shows continue production under SAG demands (doesn’t apply to the whole studio)

Who was it that caved first during the 2008 writers strike? Lionsgate?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

AMC strikes a deal to let three shows continue production under SAG demands (doesn’t apply to the whole studio)

Weinstein I think?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1697737809715413173

quote:

SAG-AFTRA plans to send a strike authorization vote for the video game industry after they failed to meet the needs of video game actors.

Companies facing a possible strike include Activision, EA, Epic Games, Insomniac Games, Take 2 and WB.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Steve Yun posted:

Man, its weird seeing Norman Reedus without a baby strapped to his chest.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1697739694354969007?s=46

Gotta strike when it’s hot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Literally two posts above you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That one says they were planning to vote, mine was that the vote happened

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Yun posted:

That one says they were planning to vote, mine was that the vote happened

No, it's a rephrasing of the same thing: The SAG-AFTRA board of directors unanimously sent a strike authorization vote to the membership regarding video games.

The authorization vote being sent to the membership, if it passes, allows the board / negotiating committee to call a strike. Right now, SAG-AFTRA is scheduled to have its next meeting with video game publishers on September 29. Presumably a strike would be called on September 30 if they have the votes and the publishers are telling them to eat poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 2, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok got it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You gotta' wonder if the videogame executives have seen the groundswell of support the actors are getting and blink, or if they're counting on the gaming community to continue to suck corporate dick and fight everybody who says literally anything is a problem with a product they want.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm not really sure if SAG-AFTRA have the same amount of leverage here. Hollywood doesn't work without actors but tons of video games can and do work without VA's or motion capture. It's absence might be noticeable in AAA titles but I doubt that would be a deal-breaker to most of the people actually buying this stuff.

Edit: Just to be clear; I'm rooting for the actors here, I'm just not as optimistic about their chances there as I am with the current Hollywood strike. The video game industry is notoriously un-unionized and some of the biggest names in that business are already guilty of some incredibly ruthless poo poo. I guess we'll see how things shake out if it even comes to that though.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 3, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm not really sure if SAG-AFTRA have the same amount of leverage here. Hollywood doesn't work without actors but tons of video games can and do work without VA's or motion capture. It's absence might be noticeable in AAA titles but I doubt that would be a deal-breaker to most of the people actually buying this stuff.
Only AAA developers were named.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

You gotta' wonder if the videogame executives have seen the groundswell of support the actors are getting and blink, or if they're counting on the gaming community to continue to suck corporate dick and fight everybody who says literally anything is a problem with a product they want.

It's hard to predict, really. The 2016-17 voice actors strike didn't have a huge impact on the industry, but that was also a long time ago, and, for example, actors themselves doing motion and facial capture wasn't nearly as common as it is now. So we don't really have a data point to compare against.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

LividLiquid posted:

Only AAA developers were named.

I see that, and I'm sorry if that came across as overly-broad. I guess maybe a better way of putting it would be that they could theoretically churn out a new video game and reap in the profits with or without SAG-AFTRA. They might not be able to rely on stuff where ultra-realism is the entire point but there's options available to them that aren't really there for Hollywood right now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm sure Activision or whoever can slap a new year/title on last year's Call of Madden and buy some time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't know much about the games industry but most big games have full voice acting these days and are those actors part of the guild?

Anyway these strikes have really hosed us over in vfx. No new shows on the horizon, by December probably 90% of the industry will be unemployed. And it will take 6 months for production to start getting footage to vfx facilities after the strikes end. So thats a long long time for a lot of people to be unemployed. That's supervisors losing their houses lengths of time and a huge exodus of people on work permits who will have to go back to their home countries. Over the past couple years so many people from China and India and Mexico and Korea and Taiwan moved to Canada for vfx jobs. Now many of them are in danger of having to go back.

I don't blame the actors or writers at all. And I think most the employees are just annoyed at this huge upheaval. But a lot of vfx supervisors, guys who own houses they are in danger of losing, are turning on the actors and writers with a lot of impotent rage. Maybe because they have to work on set with them sometimes, and vfx guys are like the lowest on the totem pole despite our industry being integral to all the big films and being the largest line item on blockbuster movies.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 4, 2023

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Sounds like you all should unionize

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

But a lot of vfx supervisors, guys who own houses they are in danger of losing, are turning on the actors and writers with a lot of impotent rage.

Why, in your experience, are they targeting the writers and actors and not the executives?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
to be fair their understanding of crab mentality may be slightly different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE0wfjsybIQ

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Sounds like you all should unionize
:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Why, in your experience, are they targeting the writers and actors and not the executives?

From my experience in VFX back in the day, the folks who are supervisors now were working along side me then. A WHOLE LOT of them drank the flavor aide. "I'm doing just fine, therefore we don't need to unionize."

My "fondest" memory of the time is pointing out to my coworkers that our unpaid overtime, late on a Saturday night of crunch, was in violation of California labor laws. That we were mis-categorized as contractors, since we were currently working on company machines, in the company office, on the company schedule.

Management didn't have to lift a finger. My coworkers banded together to call me a complainer. Not a team player.

A week later a coworker died when he fell asleep behind the wheel driving home after yet another 100 hour week. No one did anything to change our conditions.
I no longer work in VFX.

VFX has desperately needed a union since 1991.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A lot of industries need unions

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

My "fondest" memory of the time is pointing out to my coworkers that our unpaid overtime, late on a Saturday night of crunch, was in violation of California labor laws. That we were mis-categorized as contractors, since we were currently working on company machines, in the company office, on the company schedule.

Management didn't have to lift a finger. My coworkers banded together to call me a complainer. Not a team player.

Been there friend. Had a coworker tell me that "ethics don't pay the bills". Insane thing to say in context of being an underpaid worker.

Sorry to hear about your coworker's death. Horrific.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Been there friend. Had a coworker tell me that "ethics don't pay the bills". Insane thing to say in context of being an underpaid worker.

Yeah. It sucks all around.

I wasn't close to the guy, but it sucked. It sucked more that he wasn't the only one. I think, like 2 others went out the same way within the year.

I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for... everything... around then.

So. Yeah. I'm rooting for the WGA, SAG and the nascent on-set VFX folks jamming a goddamn shiv in and wedging poo poo open for everyone else.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

No one should die due to their work. Assuming the work is legal at least.

I can only assume the coworker didn't want to get fired regarding that statement. Technically s/he can't be (IANAL) but odds are every employee in every company have their transgressions logged then when the money is affected spring the termination on them citing the noted reasons. Some countries may have stricter laws on this but if the cost of doing business values removal, they'll do it without question.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It doesn’t help that so many people technical and technical-adjacent jobs are libertarian as gently caress.

When I used to work as a programmer in another lifetime, every single person in my office as an extreme Ron Paul libertarian.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'll admit that I voted for him in two closed primaries but my state is a fait accompli for the Democrats in presidental elections so I knew it wouldn't matter. There's only 5 states that aren't anyway.

As for the strikes, what exactly is the endgame for the AMPTP? Nothing but CGI films with AI writing?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Island Nation posted:

As for the strikes, what exactly is the endgame for the AMPTP? Nothing but CGI films with AI writing?

Pretty much, yeah. Mass produced content, made to chase successful trends on smooth schedule. With no creatives with their 'ideas' and 'themes' getting in the way. If you're an executive who's only talent was saving a company money, you probably don't realise the vast gulf between a good film and great one, never mind the gap between an actual film scene and whatever the Flash was doing with the AI generated alternate universes (consider the equivalent scenes in EEAO or even the Dr Strange film). When Bob Iger says something like 'I think Black Panther is as good as any film Martin Scorsese made' (I'm paraphrasing but I'm pretty sure he said that) that might not be marketing. He may actually think that it's true. Because, if you analyse Black Panther in some sort of objective, checklist way, it ticks all the good movie boxes. Ergo, it must be really good. There's a story that went around in the 90s about the opening weekend of 1995 Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle 'Sudden Death.' It was one of many 'Die Hard but X' films made in that era, set in an Ice Hockey stadium. Anyway, it wasn't good and did poorly and the story goes that an executive who'd greenlit the project was overheard yelling 'how did it fail? we had so many hostages.' And I think that's basically the outlook. You put more of something in, something that was also in another, already successful film, and expect it to do far better.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A lot of executive behavior makes a lot more sense when you remember that the vast majority of high-level executives are fundamentally uncreative people working in a creative industry, and they find the quirks and unpredictability of working with creative people to be a deeply frustrating inconvenience that they would pay any amount of money to numbers fuckstein their way out of dealing with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A great story I heard from Adam Green (hatchet slasher guy) is he worked on this show with Kelsy Grammer, and ended up in the writers room and listened to that whole thing, and an exec came in and said "So this scene, that takes place in the morning...could it take place in perhaps mid afternoon?"

Literally no reason for that, no point to it, because...who cares... but Grammer said "yes! Great idea!" and moved on and changed nothing.

These morons want to be loved. But they have stupid personalities. They're Michael Scotts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You remember when those derivative and somewhat alarming Elsa and Spiderman youtube videos for super young children proliferated on youtube a few years ago? The goal is that except under copywrite.

Snowman_McK posted:

Anyway, it wasn't good and did poorly and the story goes that an executive who'd greenlit the project was overheard yelling 'how did it fail? we had so many hostages.' And I think that's basically the outlook.

I'm reminded of how The Chronicles of Riddick has a solid bit sequestered from the main plot where Riddick is captured and escapes from a prison planet, which was put in because execs thought there was an audience for Vin Diesel but only when he's escaping from prison.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm reminded of how The Chronicles of Riddick has a solid bit sequestered from the main plot where Riddick is captured and escapes from a prison planet, which was put in because execs thought there was an audience for Vin Diesel but only when he's escaping from prison.

It's also by far the best bit of the movie, sometimes the system works

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Schwarzwald posted:

while i personally liked the necromongers and attempt at epic scifi, riddick didnt really belong there (see the sequel to Chronicles rapidly aborting that storyline) so good on the executives. the fire planet section is really good and the furyan plot was dumb as gently caress.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh good I felt the same way, the prison planet escape was the best part of the movie (I too loved the Necromongers but that part felt a bit like putting Conan against the Red Wizard of Thay, if that makes any sense)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Conan once met an alien, in the classic Howard short story "The Elephant in the Tower".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davros1 posted:

Conan once met an alien, in the classic Howard short story "The Elephant in the Tower".

Yeah but that fella was genuinely rocked and a Wizard's plaything.

I read that story to my son (as well as a few other kid appropriate ones, like the God in the Bowl and Rogues in the House) and he loved 'em. Conan's still got it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bullying works

https://twitter.com/wgaeast/status/1703427679821717949?s=46

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Good. She did a really lovely thing but at least she stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i think the actors only started caring about videogames once they kicked out the regular non-celebrity voice actors, but now since they're jumping in, they care now.