Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Eavesdropping sounds like a Roguery check, which we don't have. Walk on in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's drop some Eaves

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Thuryl posted:

Eavesdropping sounds like a Roguery check, which we don't have. Walk on in.

Failing a check is always an option. Also, our failed roguery check might lead to Gilgamesh's successful combat robot check so :shrug:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Coin flip favors the bold!

Page 386 posted:

Baron Siriasis is outraged by your intrusion. Supported by the immense force of his mind, he hovers eerily towards you, paralysing you with a bolt of psychic force. You are left rooted to the spot, unable to move a muscle as he drifts around you like a ghastly rag doll hanging on invisible strings. ‘The paralysis will wear off in a few hours,’ he hisses. ‘I shall leave you to contemplate your folly.’ He returns to his tent and closes the flap.

If you have PARADOXING (and a psionic focus) you can break free of his mental paralysis and go and talk to Boche (turn to 104), Golgoth (turn to 126) or Gaunt (turn to 148).
Without PARADOXING, you are held immobile in the snow for hours: lose 1 Life Point from exposure and then turn to 192.

: RRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!

: I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH. LET ME TELL YOU, IT'S NOT SO BAD AFTER THE FIRST CENTURY. THE FIRST 20 YEARS ARE THE WORST, AND THE SECOND 20 YEARS, THOSE ARE THE WORST TWO. AFTER THAT YOU MAY GO INTO A BIT OF A DECLINE. BUT FROM 100 ON OUT, IT'S ALL A POWERNAP.

Page 192 posted:

You return to your campsite in the shelter of a ruined building and settle down for the night. The flames of the fire throw long capering shadows across the walls. The ground is so cold that it seems to suck the vitality out of you. How long has it been since you ate?

If you have a food pack, you can regain 1 Life Point. You can regain another 1 Life Point if you have a medical kit. (Note that if you possess a Manta sky-car, its storage locker contains a medical kit and several food packs.) If you have the codeword Hourglass, you lose 1 Life Point while you sleep.

Once you have made the necessary adjustments to your Character Sheet, if still alive to see the dawn you can turn to 83.

Well, Life Points still at max. So there's that.

Page 83 posted:

The sky is clear and blue, with high wisps of grey cloud. The snow crunches underfoot as you walk across the square to join Kyle Boche. Floating out of his tent comes the legless Baron Siriasis. You look around but the square is otherwise deserted apart from clumps of servants waiting beside the tents.

‘The others have already descended,’ Boche tells you and the baron. ‘Vajra Singh went with Golgoth, down through the main temple complex. Thadra Bey took herself alone into the adjoining subway tunnels. Janus Gaunt was gone before I woke.’

‘I suggest we three team up, then,’ says the baron briskly.

Boche nods. ‘Agreed. If we find the Heart, our alliance holds until the other teams are dealt with. Where shall we descend?’

Last night you noticed an icy crevice beside the building that Singh levelled with his mantramukta cannon. You point it out to the others. ‘It looks to give onto the cellars, and there may be a way through to the temple catacombs below.’

The baron gazes down into the crevice, then gives a curt nod. ‘I sense it is a favorable route. It will lead us to the Heart.’

If you have a Manta sky-car, turn to 17.
If not, turn to 39.

Page 17 posted:

Among the items originally stored in the sky-car’s locker were a flashlight and a length of rope. If you have not equipped yourself with these already, you may as well do so now since, if the baron’s hunch is right, the moment of truth is almost upon you.

After updating your list of possessions, turn to 39.

We can probably ditch that last meal. Rope added (we already have a flashlight).

Page 39 posted:

You ease yourselves down into the crevice. The walls are slick with frost and you have to brace your back against sharp rocks to keep from slipping. At last you see a glimmer of light below and you emerge onto a ledge overlooking a large underground cavern. A distant howl of rushing air reaches your ears, magnified by the vast space surrounding you. The light is a dull grey phosphorescence from deep in the rock. Climbing down to the floor of the cavern, you advance through a forest of slender stalagmites which glisten like old candles.

Baron Siriasis bobs along beside you like a grotesque broken manikin. He points. ‘Ahead is a chasm. Fortunately for you both, there seems to be a bridge across it.’

As you step out from among the stalagmites, you fail to notice at first that a thick glowing vapor is roiling around your feet. Boche heads towards the chasm, but stumbles and gives a cry of alarm as the vapor begins to creep up around his limbs. With a groan, the baron seems to sag and drift down to the cavern floor. You take another step, then you realize that the mist is draining your strength. It rises across your vision, a luminous fog that seeps into your skin like ice water. You can no longer see your comrades. Then you see a sight that sends a tingle of dread through you. Taking shape within the mist, reaching towards you with ghastly imploring fingers, is a horribly twisted figure that looks like a squashed effigy of white clay.

If you have the codeword Enkidu, turn to 105.
If not but you have the codeword Talos, turn to 127.
If you have neither of those but you do have LORE, turn to 171.
Otherwise, there is nothing you can do to stop the phantom from reaching through your skin and extracting your life-essence, and your adventure is at an end.

: HANDS OFF, SQUASHED EFFIGY OF WHITE CLAY.

Page 105 posted:

Even though the three of you are helpless, Gilgamesh can still act. Lunging forward through the swirling vapour, he seizes the gnarled phantom in his arms and carries it on stiff strides to the edge of the chasm. It shrieks and twists in his grasp, flowing and distorting like a painting in the rain. Sparks cascade from Gilgamesh’s visor as it sinks its fingers under his armour. For a long instant they both stand there, wreathed in white mist, struggling for the upper hand. Then Gilgamesh steps forward over the edge and he and the creature drop out of sight. You hear its thin bleating cry echo up from the depths and then there is silence. When you run to the chasm and look down, you find no trace of either the phantom or your loyal automaton.

Delete the codeword Enkidu and turn to 149.

: Ah hell. It's probably too late in the game to grab a lackey to take me through the endgame, isn't it?

Page 149 posted:

Slowly the chill leaves your bodies. ‘Curious,’ mutters the baron, floating over to peer into the chasm. ‘It seemed to be a genuine ghost, so far as I could tell. I could not read its mind, at any rate.’

‘Just as long as it’s gone now,’ grunts Boche. He gestures at a narrow stone bridge spanning the chasm. On the far side, an archway opens onto a tiled hall. ‘Who wants to go first?’

The baron gives him a scornful look and hovers out across the drop. As you watch him drift to a halt on the far side, it occurs to you that he looks a rather ghostly figure himself.

Boche glances at you, shrugs and strides rapidly across the bridge. ‘It’s not too bad as long as you don’t look down,’ he calls over his shoulder.

They are waiting for you to cross. As you step onto the bridge, you find your gaze drawn downwards in spite of Boche’s advice. The walls of the chasm plunge dizzyingly into feculent darkness. Then you notice something else. Set into the rock walls, about five meters below the level of the bridge, are a row of metal grilles.

If you climb down to investigate, turn to 193.
If you continue across the bridge, turn to 215.

We've seen this before, and while we're presently lacking AGILITY, we did just pick up a rope which passes the check and gains us a speculum jacket. We'll drop the rope in its favor and keep on Manta sky-trucking.

Page 215 posted:

You reach the far end of the bridge and pass through into the tiled hall beyond. The architecture here is the same oppressive design as on the surface: the heavy harshly-chiselled lintels and monumental bulbous columns, the gigantic vaults and grotesque carvings. You have a choice of routes on from here: either of two wide passages directly ahead, or a doorway to your left.

If you go through the door, turn to 259.
If you take the left-hand passage, turn to 3.
If you take the right-hand passage, turn to 128.

: That's a nice jacket you've got there.

: Cram it with a skudge bar, Boche.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'Doc' Sherman the Scientist

Skills: CYBERNETICS, LORE, SURVIVAL, PILOTING

Life Points: 10

Scads: 18

Possessions: Cold-weather suit, polarized goggles, binoculars, flashlight, barysal gun [II, medkit, speculum jacket, Little Gaia. MANTA SKY-CAR? WHY YES, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Codewords:

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing, the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 4, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hey now, that robofriendship is eternal! Pour out a WD-40 for our homie!

(Also, head right.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

Hey now, that robofriendship is eternal! Pour out a WD-40 for our homie!

(Also, head right.)

Sounds good, Right!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Gilgamesh! :negative:

I had such high hopes for him...

Head right I guess.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Cathode Raymond posted:

Gilgamesh! :negative:

I had such high hopes for him...

Head right I guess.

Welp...yup. He's great when he's needed, but you're only allowed to bring him so far.

Page 128 posted:

The passage brings you to a series of galleries, each consisting of a cloister running either side of a central concourse softly illuminated by chandeliers. Many of the heavy buttresses have been defaced, leaving chunks of broken masonry scattered across the marble floor. ‘No doubt this devastation was wreaked in the city’s collapse,’ says Boche in a hushed voice. ‘It’s said that the people of Du-En went mad and turned against their leaders.’ Baron Siriasis drifts to a halt and peers off into the gloom of the cloistered walkway at the side of the room. ‘I sense a presence,’ he says after a moment’s concentration. ‘Something is stalking us.’ Quickening your pace, you hurry on through the galleries until you see a heavy iron-bound door ahead. A rasping sound echoes out of the cloisters to one side. It sounds like chitin slithering across stone. You are about to break into a run when the lights go out and you are plunged into darkness.

If you have the codeword Scotopic, turn to 302.
If not, you can use ROGUERY (turn to 216), ESP and a psionic focus (turn to 194), SHOOTING and a charged barysal gun (turn to 238), or light a flashlight or a lantern if you have one (turn to 172).
Failing any of those options, turn to 260.

Page 172 posted:

You hear a scuttling of many insectoid legs. In the sudden flare of light you catch a glimpse of a shape like a giant black centipede, mouthparts churning like oiled blades. Blinded by the unexpected light, it writhes and retreats in panic to the darkness of the cloisters. The three of you seize your chance to hurry on through the iron-bound door, slamming it behind you. A moment later a heavy form thuds against the door.

‘That was a close call,’ breathes Boche, wiping a trickle of cold sweat out of his eyes.

Turn to 281.

: Suck photons, giant ice insect!

: How has someone not sold you out? I simply cannot fathom how you've made it this far in life, much less in the race for the Heart.

Page 281 posted:

You enter a lofty room plunged in gloom. Boche flicks his torchlight around and it falls on a curious sight. The light seems to spill slowly, like a puddle of oil, through a zone several meters across. In the middle stands a man in old-fashioned military dress. Beside him on the floor lies a metal globe about the size of an egg, covered with glowing studs.

‘It is a stasis bomb, I believe,’ announces the baron in his stern clipped tones. ‘Watch.’

He glides off, skirting the zone where the torch beam slowed down. You see him drifting around the far perimeter. But then suddenly he comes back into view around the edge of the zone, even though you can still see his image moving beyond it.

‘The stasis bomb slows down time in a two-meter radius,’ explains the baron. ‘Light takes several seconds to cross the zone, which is why you can still see my image floating on the other side.’

As you watch, the image moves around the zone, disappearing like a ghost as it reaches the edge. ‘How long has that man been frozen there?’ wonders Boche.

‘Probably since the fall of Du-En. Almost two hundred years. That period will have seemed to him like only a few seconds.’

If you have LORE, turn to 323.
If not, you can try to free the man using either a charged barysal gun (turn to 345) or PARADOXING and a psionic focus (turn to 366), or you can leave him frozen and continue on your way (turn to 388).

Page 323 posted:

He is wearing the red-and-violet uniform of the Monitor Corps, personal troops of Eleazar Picard, the Volentine high priest. Perhaps he was fighting to defend him when the populace of the city rebelled.

If you want to free him, it might be possible using either a charged barysal gun to destroy the stasis bomb (turn to 345) or PARADOXING and a psionic focus to cancel the time distortion effect (turn to 366).
Otherwise, you can continue deeper into the catacombs (turn to 388).

: That's a mighty-fine uniform you've got there...

: If the text allowed me the chance to kick you into the stasis field, I would do so at the drop of a future-hat.

Character Sheet posted:

Possessions: Cold-weather suit, polarized goggles, binoculars, flashlight, barysal gun [II, medkit, speculum jacket, Little Gaia. MANTA SKY-CAR IDLING OUTSIDE, READY TO CARRY US OFF INTO THE SUNSET

Codewords:

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing, the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

He didn't really do much for us last time, and we might need to shoot some people later on. Leave him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Free him.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I say free him

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
Leave him.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Leave him.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

He didn't do much for us last time, but the stasis bomb did. However if we shoot the bomb I guess we lose it. leave him

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 388 posted:

You make your way along a wide passage where your footsteps echo stonily on the hard tiles. As elsewhere in the catacombs, light comes from a row of globes along the ceiling. Some have dimmed over the years, but most still burn brightly. When you wonder aloud what the power source is, the baron is in no doubt: ‘The Heart itself. The tiniest fraction of its power is enough to illuminate all the cities of the world.’

At last you arrive at a domed hall. Beyond lies a network of tunnels. ‘Scout ahead,’ the baron tells you. ‘One of those tunnels must lead to the Shrine of the Heart.’

If you do as he says, turn to 430.
If you bridle at being ordered about, turn to 450.

Character Sheet posted:

Possessions: Cold-weather suit, polarized goggles, binoculars, flashlight, barysal gun [II, medkit, speculum jacket, Little Gaia. MANTA SKY-CAR IDLING OUTSIDE, READY TO CARRY US OFF INTO THE SUNSET

Codewords:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Considering the baron is a psionic beast and we have no psi skills, better do what he says

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 430 posted:

You have gone no further than thirty meters along the first tunnel when there is the roar of an explosion from behind you. Running back towards the hall where you left the others, you see a cloud of smoke swirling in the air. In the rubble-strewn hall beyond, someone gives a feeble cough. The force of the blast has cracked the stone lintel above the tunnel, and rock dust is trickling to the floor. It looks as though the tunnel could cave in at any moment.

If you have the codeword Mallet, turn to 19.
If not, turn to 41.

So last time, we took a hefty to our Life Points because we had freed the frozen guy. This time...

Page 41 posted:

Boche comes along the passage with gun in hand. He is covered with dust from the explosion and has a gash across his forehead where he was hit by a splinter of masonry, but he is smiling. ‘The baron’s dead,’ he tells you.

‘How? What happened?’

He swells with pride. ‘I got him with a grenade. I’d been carrying it all along, but the joke was that I didn’t even know it myself. It was the only way to foil his mind-reading, you see.’

‘I don’t understand.’

Boche coughs rock dust out of his throat and then goes on. ‘I knew the baron was heading for Du-En and that he’d be the hardest foe I’d have to face, so I got myself hypnotized to forget that I was carrying a grenade. I had a post-hypnotic suggestion planted that I should use the grenade at a key moment. He never knew what hit him.’

‘Ruthlessly cunning.’

If you intended any sarcasm, Boche fails to notice it. ‘Thanks,’ he says. ‘Now, let’s get going before the tunnel collapses on us.’

Turn to 175.

: Dammit, why do you have to be so crucially useful?

: It's all part of my dance, schnooks.

Page 175 posted:

There is a sound from somewhere ahead in the maze of tunnels. Boche cocks his ear. ‘It’s old-fashioned laser fire,’ he says, adding significantly: ‘But none of the others were carrying lasers.’

The mystery is soon explained. Turning a corner, you find yourselves facing three hover-droids that resemble large silver eggs with a rotating gun-turret mounted underneath. They are gliding directly towards you, the aiming-lights of their lasers playing across your vision. Boche throws himself down a side tunnel. You are in motion an instant later, just as three laser beams lance out, burning a patch of molten stone on the floor where you had been standing.

Racing headlong through the tunnels, you reach a circular room with a violet starburst set in mosaic on the floor. Several other tunnels lead into the chamber, and down one of them you see Vajra Singh, Thadra Bey and Chaim Golgoth running from another group of hover-droids. ‘We stirred up a whole nest of them,’ shouts Golgoth. ‘Too many to fight!’

As he enters the room, Vajra Singh whirls and fires his mantramukta cannon over the heads of Bey and Golgoth. Four hover-droids explode in a blossom of plasma, but you can see others converging on the room from the other tunnels.

Across the sweep of the opposite wall are seven glass-fronted elevators, each large enough for one person. Thadra Bey lopes across to the nearest and the door slides shut behind her. In moments the room will be swarming with hover-droids. The rest of you have no choice but to follow her lead. As you step into an elevator, the door closes and an electronic voice says: ‘Identify yourself, please.’

Will you tell it the truth (turn to 280), or will you pretend to be a follower of the Volentine cult (turn to 301)?

: I feel like I knew this once.

: Another lifetime, brother.

: What I wouldn't give to have Gilgamesh in your place right now...

Character Sheet posted:

Codewords:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Well, last time we played the con game so let's see what happens when we tell the truth

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Honesty is the best policy

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 280 posted:

The elevator door slides open. You are confronted by one of the hover-droids, which immediately opens fire. Although you twist to one side, the blast rips through your arm, burning you to the bone. Lose 6 Life Points unless you possess a speculum jacket, in which case lose only 4 Life Points.

If still alive, you stab desperately at the button. As the door closes, you see Thadra Bey die in a hail of laser-blasts. If you cannot figure out the answers that the computer wants to hear, you will be next.

Turn to 301.

Lying here? Preferable.

Page 301 posted:

‘What is the Truth?’ asks the computer enigmatically.

If you have the codeword Lunar, turn to 322.
If not, turn to 61.

Very preferable, sadly.

: But but but...MY ILLUSION OF CHOICE!!!

Page 61 posted:

If you have ESP (and a psionic focus) turn to 344.
If not but you have ROGUERY, turn to 365.
If not but you have LORE, turn to 387.
If not but you have CYBERNETICS and possess Little Gaia, turn to 408.
If you have none of those, turn to 429.

All of these options shunt us through successfully. ROGUERY lets us read Boche's lips as he read the chant from a piece of paper and ESP allows us to read Golgoth's mind doing the same. Via LORE, we just happen to know the chant, and we've already seen that.

: Hey, no peaking!

Page 408 posted:

You are in no mood to play guessing games with a two-hundred-year-old computer. Luckily you do not have to. Any computer that can understand speech can also be reprogrammed in the same way. It might take hours or even days if you were to do that, but Little Gaia is able to transmit information at a much faster rate. Acting on your instructions, she produces a burst of coded bleeps that override the computer’s existing program and give it the command to start the elevator. You are on your way to the Sanctum of the Heart.

Turn to 150.

Page 150 posted:

You step out of the elevator to find Singh, Boche and Golgoth already here. Thadra Bey didn’t make it.

You are in a dome so vast that it feels like a gulf in the black void of intergalactic space. Boche’s flashlight does not reach the far wall. In the center of the chamber, on a raised dais at the end of a ramp, lies a purple gemstone almost two metres in diameter. Scintillant sparks stream from deep in its core, giving off a violet radiation that causes a pain at the back of your eyes.

‘The Heart of Volent…’ breathes Boche in a voice of awe. ‘The key to ultimate power.’

If you have the codeword Red, turn to 303.
If you have the codeword Blue, turn to 346.
If you have the codeword Yellow, turn to 324.

If you have none of those, turn to 367.

It seems I forgot to include the picture of the Heart last time around here. It's included in the original post now, for what it's worth.

Page 367 posted:

This is the moment of truth. Four powerful adventurers all stand within reach of ultimate power. Only one can have the Heart.

You can use a stun grenade (turn to 432), a stasis bomb (turn to 448) or a charged barysal gun (turn to 21) if you have them.
Otherwise turn to 324.

: Wayeeyaeeyaaaa-

: Wa-wa-wa

: Like a lucky diamond, I just keep turning up.

: If we survive this, prepare to eat Manta fender.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 6

Codewords:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

We've already seen what happens if we get the heart, and we don't have enough charges in our gun to get all three of our rivals anyway. Don't shoot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hold Fire, let the herd thin itself.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I didn't even think that 324 would essentially be sit back and let them fight it out, but yeah, don't shoot

Those colour coded codewords sound interesting...

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I didn't even think that 324 would essentially be sit back and let them fight it out, but yeah, don't shoot

Those colour coded codewords sound interesting...

I'm guessing you can ally with people if you go exploring on Day 1 with them or during the Night 1 talking period.

Don't use the gun yet

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 324 posted:

Boche suddenly yells: ‘Let’s get him, Golgoth!’

Vajra Singh, whirling, makes a split-second decision as to who is his most dangerous adversary. Pressing the power button on the mantramukta, he directs a blistering torrent of raw energy at Golgoth. Golgoth reacts by flinging himself into a sideways roll, firing a continuous barrage at Singh as he moves. Both blasts find their target at the same time. Singh falls with a pencil-thin barysal burn through his eye-socket. Golgoth is engulfed and blown to cinders.

It has all taken place in seconds. Now only you and Boche are left. He smiles and winks at you. You start to smile back, but it freezes on your face as he turns to show you the barysal gun he has trained on you.

‘Well, Boche,’ you say, ‘is this post-hypnotic treachery, or the regular kind?’

‘I knew you’d turn on me if I didn’t act first,’ he replies with a shrug. ‘Only one can have the Heart.’

It is not pleasant to stare down the barrel of a gun. You had better decide what to do.

You can use SHOOTING if you have a charged barysal gun of your own (turn to 347), use PARADOXING if you have a psionic focus (turn to 390), or try throwing a knife if you have one (turn to 368).
If you have none of those, turn to 411.

: Oh, looks like this time you need SHOOTING. Too bad, that.

: This is going to turn out poorly for me, isn't it?

Page 411 posted:

Boche waves you along beside him, keeping the gun trained on you. ‘I could kill you now,’ he says, ‘but I want someone to be alive to witness this. After all, I’m about to become a god.’

Reaching the Heart, he kneels and embraces it. You think this is your chance to act, but even as you rush forward you see you are too late. Coruscating bands of energy blaze from the depths of the unearthly gem, swathing Boche in an aura of blinding violet light. The fabric of reality is ripped apart. You feel weightless. A vortex spins up through the dome, sweeping away rock and air, rising up into space, out past the moon and planets. In what seems like seconds you have been hurled like a ghost through all of creation. You witness the birth of a new cosmos – a cosmos fashioned by Boche’s whims. He is everywhere and all-powerful, while you are but a spark that swiftly vanishes into eternity.

THE END

Death: Erased from reality

Perhaps not entirely unexpected, given our previous run. Let's shoot a dude.

Page 21 posted:

You can fire at Golgoth (turn to 109), Boche (turn to 87) or Vajra Singh (turn to 131).

: Oh my yes I do like this choice.

: Now just a-

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 6

Codewords:

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd, reality ripped right out from under us'd

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shoot Boche shoot Boche shoot Boche

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, shoot Boche and hope the other two kill each other again.

edit: also, is it just me or is it odd that there's so much focus on the whole Gaia backstory when all roads seem to end in someone rewriting the universe and making it irrelevant anyway?

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 12, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
We should have shot Boche a while ago, probably immediately, or, failing that, left him behind when we got the sky car.

SHOOT BOCHE

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, shoot Boche and hope the other two kill each other again.

edit: also, is it just me or is it odd that there's so much focus on the whole Gaia backstory when all roads seem to end in someone rewriting the universe and making it irrelevant anyway?

I wondered about this too, maybe there are one or two "fixed Gaia" endings?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shoot Boche twice.
(We have two charges in our gun, right?)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Double-tap Boche

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 87 posted:

Reduce your barysal gun’s charge by one. Boche falls to your first shot. His death acts as a signal for the start of hostilities. Golgoth and Singh, in no doubt that each is the most dangerous foe, whirl to face each other. Golgoth’s first shot hisses into sparks on Singh’s armor as the Sikh warlord raises his mighty mantramukta cannon.

Turn to 410.

: Et tu, post-apocalypti-jay?

: My one regret is that I kept one in the cartridge.

Page 410 posted:

Despite Golgoth’s searing volley of barysal shots, Singh manages to raise his cannon. There is a deep thrumming as the power kicks in, sending a blast of incandescent energy streaming through the air. As you dive for cover inside one of the elevator tubes, you can see that Singh is already dead on his feet. But Golgoth has no defense against the raw power of the cannon, and he too is blown to pieces.

You emerge slowly and step through the carnage. Vajra Singh looks up at you weakly and your muscles go tense. His cannon’s power will take time to build up, but he could still shoot you down with his pistol.

But he is nobler than that. ‘There’s no chance for me now,’ he groans. ‘Take the power. Use it wisely...’ He slumps and his eyes roll up. You are the only one left.

Turn to 415.

Page 415 posted:

Squinting in the flux of radiation from the Heart, you approach it with a sense of wonder. This is the artifact created in the Big Bang, the key to infinite power. Many people gave their lives for the chance to possess it. Now it lies within your grasp.

If you have the codeword Nemesis, turn to 153.
If not, turn to 174.

And that engodens us one more, but we've already seen that. So let's look into this Nemesis codeword that we have ever-so-adeptly avoided acquiring up to this point. We'll head back here and be a bit more subtle in listening in.

Page 364 posted:

If you utilize ESP and a psionic focus to delve into the baron’s mind, turn to 407.
If you sneak closer using chameleon skin (you must have the codeword Camouflage) or ROGUERY, turn to 428.
If you possess Little Gaia and want to leave her to record what the baron says, turn to 446.
Otherwise you must slope away and either retire for the night (turn to 192) or try talking to one of the others: Boche (turn to 104), Golgoth (turn to 126) or Gaunt (turn to 148).

I'll take the reins for a turn.

Page 446 posted:

You stroll casually past the tent and drop Little Gaia in the snow. A few minutes later you come back past. The baron’s servants glance at you without curiosity. Retrieving Little Gaia, you take her off to a secluded corner of the square and ask her what she overheard.

‘Baron Siriasis has a communication link to Gaia,’ she says. ‘They discussed the Heart of Volent.’

‘What did she tell him?’

‘Gaia advised him that the Heart is unstable. It will give its user ultimate power, but only by sweeping away our universe and creating a new universe in its place.’

‘And the baron’s reply to this?’

‘He does not care. He is bitter because he is old and crippled. He would be happy to rule over a new universe.’

Little Gaia goes on to tell how the Heart could be destroyed: by bombarding it with two barysal beams at right angles, causing a resonance in the crystal lattice that would split it apart.

Note the codeword Nemesis if you do not have it already.

Now you can go and talk to Golgoth (turn to 126), Boche (turn to 104) or Gaunt (turn to 148).

: What the heck am I supposed to do with this information?

: Hey, come by for a chat! All is forgiven!

Character Sheet posted:

Codewords: Nemesis

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, one traitorous Boche, whatever remained of the concept of privacy

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd, reality ripped right out from under us'd

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

We talked to Gaunt on our first run and I don't think we have anything to say to Boche. Let's see what Golgoth's deal is.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Golgoth

So now we have the opportunity to save our lovely, ice-ravaged world?

Hooray

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Golgoth

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 126 posted:

You find Golgoth squatting by torchlight at the end of the colonnade, where he has laid out all his weapons on the flagstones. As he checks each, he slips it into its concealed sheath: a garrote wire under his belt, along with a flexible steel blade; poison darts in a bandolier inside his jacket; guns at hip, ankle and wrist; small flat grenades clipped along his sabretache. You watch him aghast for a few minutes.

‘Quite the professional killer, aren’t you, Golgoth?’

‘Don’t get far if you only make it a hobby.’

You heave a sigh. ‘Does human life mean anything to you?’

He buckles on his barysal gun, gets up, and gives you a long thoughtful look in the torchlight. ‘Not the life of scum like this.’ He gestures along the colonnade. ‘I’ve happily sent hundreds like them to an early grave. Who do you think my USI bosses should’ve sent – a pack of boy-scout Marines?’

‘So you’re here as a USI agent?’

He nods. ‘Of course. The power of the Heart cannot be allowed to fall into hostile hands. In order of priority, I will either take it to the States, get the power myself, or destroy it.’

If you have the codeword Nemesis and want to propose an alliance, turn to 214.
Otherwise, you can go and talk to Kyle Boche (turn to 104) or get some sleep (turn to 192).

Page 214 posted:

‘You might alter that list of priorities once you’ve heard what the Heart’s “ultimate power” actually consists of,’ you tell him.

He listens as you explain about Gaia’s warnings. ‘That does change things,’ he admits. ‘It seems the Heart is a danger to the existence of the United States.’

‘The existence of the whole universe!’

Golgoth smiles. ‘The universe doesn’t sign my pay checks. But I agree, we must see that the Heart is destroyed.’

Record the codeword Blue and turn to 192.

The codeword Yellow comes from a discussion with Boche (keen observers may notice a few ways to get to 324), and Red from Singh, but that's hidden behind a few particular choices. So jump to this update, plug in Blue, and let's see what Golgoth can do for us.

Page 346 posted:

Golgoth suddenly explodes into action. Seizing Boche around the neck and pressing his gun to his temple, he orders him to shoot Singh unless he wants to die at once. Boche raises his own gun and fires as Singh is turning to act. As Singh staggers back, his armor breastplate charred by the blast, Golgoth coolly shoots Boche through the head, holding the body up as a shield.

Singh is fumbling for the trigger of his mantramukta cannon. ‘Get him now!’ Golgoth shouts to you. ‘Before he recovers!’

You can attack Singh using either a charged barysal gun or a stun grenade: cross off a charge (or the grenade) and then turn to 389.
If you do not have either weapon, or decide not to act, turn to 410.

: I don't care what happens from here on out. I'm counting this as a win.

Character Sheet posted:

Codewords: Nemesis, Blue

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 18, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Better shoot Singh

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Singh like a canary.

A canary that's been repeatedly blasted with a Barysal gun..

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Ratatozsk posted:

So jump to this update, plug in Blue, and let's see what Golgoth can do for us.

Somewhat impressively, this link opens up a new reply, rather than going to the proper update.

While I'm here, shoot him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just start shooting people. I don't care who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Somewhat impressively, this link opens up a new reply, rather than going to the proper update.

While I'm here, shoot him.

Huh. Well, hopefully fixed now.

• Locked thread