Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Part 11: An Interlude in the North

Yeah. I think I’ve learned a lesson here. Next time I’m going to secure the win, march everyone home, and then force the surrender. It’s the only way I’ll get even a split second to declare war, and until I do that we’ll never be free of this threat.

Looking real raggedy there, zombies. Maybe this wasn’t a good invasion to call. (Maybe they don’t care. They’re genocide demons with a zombie army.)

We actually are going to threaten this guy (and it’ll work), because he’s leading an independence faction and that should be discouraged even when it has no chance of success. I just wanted to point out that the biggest faction in the realm right now is Crown Loyalists. That’s the opposite of a problem.

I besiege the New Gift and then build a fort so I can treat it as friendly territory. Should help with movement speed and supply limits, I think. Not sure if it’ll go away after this war or I can keep it for the future wars.

Also, for those of you who wanted to see what it looks like when Winter takes over a province -- like that. Ruined castle as main holding, all other holdings empty.

Someone on the mod team is a Frozen fan.

YOU DON’T loving SAY SO

Brynden Blackfish remains a bit desirous of honors. This is an okay one to grant him. He’d probably be a fine regent, but he’s also much older than Bran and it shouldn’t come up at all. Hopefully.

Meanwhile in wartime news, I’m besieging two fronts at once and the Walkers are being cowards about the whole thing, only being willing to attack lesser numbers -- and I can’t chase them, they move quicker in the winter-blasted hellscape of Beyond The Wall than I do, plus the supply limits get real loving bad real quick.

Unfortunately for the Walkers, basically all they’ve got at this point is reanimated Wildlings with no real arms or armor and my at least semi-professional soldiers can slaughter them with basic tactics and formations.

I love that even the acknowledgement button is like “why are you telling me this”.

OH WHAT THE HECK. Notice on that screenshot that the battle hasn’t even been joined yet -- the crossed swords icon over my army means that battle is going to happen there, but the Other army hasn’t arrived yet and the battle hasn’t started.

Admittedly it’s very in-lore for the Walkers to slip out ahead of their forces and perform some key assassinations, but it’s still bullshit and what the gently caress.

Welp, Arya’s a widow. She needs another husband. Again.

I don’t know who the hell this guy is, but he’ll do. This is fine.

Yay! And also, awww!

I’m kinda bullying the White Walkers at this point.

“Dear Roose: Thank you for never stabbing me in the chest while telling my mother that the Lannisters send their regards. Here’s some gold. Love, King Bran”

I finally got another battle in and have won the war. Now is when I show that I’ve learned my lessons. I’m sending everyone home. Also, see those 3700 survivors?

Yeah, that’s all the White Walkers have left. They’re not doing so well these days.

...huh? What? Who? What’s going on down there? Who the heck is Edric Clary?

Wait what oh my gods! It’s Edric Storm, who’s taken a new house for himself to be crowned under since as a bastard, he can’t lay claim to the Baratheon name. How about that! So what happened to Tommen?

Nice... and wait, is that a skull on Margaery’s portrait?

Wow. Okay.

Wow.

She actually does have a bit too many titles and I would like to strip her of the one Jojen is asking about, but I decide that “apocalypse war with frozen zombies” is not the right time to go pissing off vassals.

Okay. Everyone has been marched home and safely disbanded. Now I can force the surrender.

Right. And now that I’m at peace with no levies raised...

We finish this.

Where Are They Now?

Ramsay Bolton is... doing fine. He’s well positioned to inherit when his father dies and while he is absolutely still a total psychotic creep, he’s a psychotic creep with a good opinion of me. Good enough.

No questions for the council this time. I’m not gonna lie to you guys, this update is basically just table-setting for the next one, where big things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sullat posted:

What's Sam Tarly up to?
I'll check, but with the fall of the Night's Watch he is almost certainly dead.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw, Edric, nice! Good for you! At least that bumbling idiot of a father left you something valuable after all, a good claim to the throne :)

Now let's usurp it and give it to Dany.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What's the Hound up to? I know his brother got killed offscreen a while ago.

Also is Oberyn in this? I don't think we've seen any/many of the Dornish.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Oberyn has got to be a pretty chipper guy in this universe. Everyone he has a grudge against is dead.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So Edric broke out of jail and claimed the Iron Throne for himself? What happened to Littlefinger? If this was the books I'd say it was his plan in the first place.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

New version of the GoT mod came out yesterday, with some pretty badass additions to the character portraits (although I use the DLC portraits submod too). I think I may have had slightly better luck than CapnAndy did:

More like the Mountain That Dies, amirite?

Took a look through the new version changes. Some of these specifically will be/would have been nice for this game! Namely:
- Kingdoms inherited by distant relatives who are not dynasts now usually fall into interregnum (applies to Dany in Meereen)
- Added events informing others of interesting trials by combat/court
- Added notification for when commanders are defeated in personal combat during battle

Interesting and/or useful changes/fixes:
- Applied new vanilla kinslayer system, also added a suspected kinslayer trait
- Removed vanilla ask to embargo action and replaced with a decision for the mod, so AI and other conditions can be better controlled.
- Valyrian steel swords now use the artifact system. Added a portrait indicator for owners of valyrian steel artifacts. Traits retained for dead characters for history purposes.
- Added the option to view the past holders of valyrian steel artifacts
- Added a decision to seize ancestral valyrian steel from prisoners. Also added a game rule to allow the seizure of any valyrian steel

Nice little changes:
- Jon is now friends with Robb and Arya
- SPOILER: J can now find out about R+L at feasts, weddings and other events
- Added new portrait layer that displays equipped canon crowns

And some just funny ones:
- Added death icons for duels, sold into slavery, fire, wildfire, missing, dragons, stillborn, eaten and snu snu
- Starks can no longer savage a dragon to death in their sleep
- Dragons can no longer be burned at the stakes as apostates
- White Walkers will no longer visit your brothel
- Fixed destroying your own flagship when liberating your capital in a siege
- Immortal resurrected characters can no longer die of old age
- Infants can no longer gain personality traits from feast/siege events
- Fixed hacking off limb to cure greyscale never working
- Fixed looping cuckolding opinion bug
- Incapables can no longer become Azor Ahai

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
What are the Tyrrells doing? Also, Hallis might be this guy. Seems to be a bit below her station. And who is Edric's heir?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 7, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Poor Margery not only did she die in child birth but she had cancer as well so would doubtfully have been long for this world anyway. Also this War of the Dawn or what not is going to be over quick right?

Nice to also see an interesting game of this mod, I know when I played and just sat back to watch what normally happens is someone wins the Iron Throne and then a whole lot of nothing happens.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is Arya really that disposable? Can't we marry her off to someone from Dany's side of the pond?

This has suddenly gone seriously off the rails... or Martin did. Damnit Martin, stop treading all over the destiny of Brandon XII, King of the North and Slayer of Winter. You know this is all that you need to put into Winds of Winter: "Brandon kicked rear end, married Dany, and then continued kicking rear end all the way on either side of the Wall. And the Others were all like 'No Brandon, no, he's too awesome', and Brandon was all like, 'Aw yeah, feel my wrath'."

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

And some just funny ones:
- Added death icons for duels, sold into slavery, fire, wildfire, missing, dragons, stillborn, eaten and snu snu
- Starks can no longer savage a dragon to death in their sleep
- Dragons can no longer be burned at the stakes as apostates
- Fixed destroying your own flagship when liberating your capital in a siege
- Immortal resurrected characters can no longer die of old age
- Infants can no longer gain personality traits from feast/siege events
- Fixed hacking off limb to cure greyscale never working
- Fixed looping cuckolding opinion bug
- Incapables can no longer become Azor Ahai

While I'm sure all of these actually make the mod play better, I just have to say that, in a vacuum, most of these fixes sound disappointing and like they have left something less insane (and thus fun) in their wake.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

painedforever posted:

This has suddenly gone seriously off the rails... or Martin did. Damnit Martin, stop treading all over the destiny of Brandon XII, King of the North and Slayer of Winter. You know this is all that you need to put into Winds of Winter: "Brandon kicked rear end, married Dany, and then continued kicking rear end all the way on either side of the Wall. And the Others were all like 'No Brandon, no, he's too awesome', and Brandon was all like, 'Aw yeah, feel my wrath'."

Man, I wish GRRM would just let this mod randomly decide the plot of the two final books.

"And then Jon Snow, King in the North, was captured by the Night King and forced to become his concubine. The North being an elective monarchy, the lords then chose a mentally disabled third-cousin of Wyman Manderly as new King in the North, who then subsequently bankrupted the kingdom by hiring the Golden Company and randomly going to war with Asshai. Meanwhile, Arya married Lancel Lannister and then suddenly died of cancer. Sansa converted to the faith of the Red God, married a Wise Master of Yunkai, and then masterminded an insidious plot to murder an insignificant scullery maid in Highgarden. Barristan Selmy was slain in personal combat by Missandei. The Night King then negotiated a peace with Dorne, married all three Sand Snakes and used the combined armies of Sunspear and Winter to crush all opposition. Thus ends the Song of Ice and Fire."

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Add in some castration and going drinking with the High Septon and we’re in business.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Midnight Voyager posted:

Officially. We still serve all kinds of tastes here![/littlefinger]

koolkevz666 posted:

Poor Margery not only did she die in child birth but she had cancer as well so would doubtfully have been long for this world anyway.
In my game, Ned got cancer almost right away and still was around for 10+ years and only fell in battle.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kinda fun that the Bran/Dany marriage is basically a fulfillment of a marriage that was SUPPOSED to happen over 150 years ago to get the current Stark to join sides in the Dance Of Dragons (the pact of Ice and Fire.) Sure they probably weren't EXPECTING that promised Targaryen princess to be queen, but hey it was the side fighting for the ability to have a queen on the iron throne, it was within the realm of possibility.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Man, I wish GRRM would just let this mod randomly decide the plot of the two final books.

"And then Jon Snow, King in the North, was captured by the Night King and forced to become his concubine. The North being an elective monarchy, the lords then chose a mentally disabled third-cousin of Wyman Manderly as new King in the North, who then subsequently bankrupted the kingdom by hiring the Golden Company and randomly going to war with Asshai. Meanwhile, Arya married Lancel Lannister and then suddenly died of cancer. Sansa converted to the faith of the Red God, married a Wise Master of Yunkai, and then masterminded an insidious plot to murder an insignificant scullery maid in Highgarden. Barristan Selmy was slain in personal combat by Missandei. The Night King then negotiated a peace with Dorne, married all three Sand Snakes and used the combined armies of Sunspear and Winter to crush all opposition. Thus ends the Song of Ice and Fire."

Nothing on the show or the books has been able to wow me quite as much after the last LP of this mod and it's Howland Reed Single Combat climax, so I agree with you wholeheartedly.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mister Perky posted:

Nothing on the show or the books has been able to wow me quite as much after the last LP of this mod and it's Howland Reed Single Combat climax, so I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Don't suppose you have a link to the last LP of this mod? I'm really enjoying this thread and would like more!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't have links but I too remember that LP very fondly; it got me my custom title.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I don't have links but I too remember that LP very fondly; it got me my custom title.

Did some Googles: This one, maybe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550259

Only one the LP archive pulled up, anyway.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 7, 2017

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

FairGame posted:

Don't suppose you have a link to the last LP of this mod? I'm really enjoying this thread and would like more!

I do not (don't have the forum upgrade), but this LP moment came up (okay, I brought it up) in the Season 5 discussion thread for the show, and someone did reply by quoting the post where the action went down

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712979&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post444967442

which I can still view even without archive access.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 12: The Darkness before Dawn

I have declared the War for the Dawn against the cold foes to the north, who care for no politics and hate all those with warm blood in their veins. I call upon all the living to join me in our great struggle.

And they do.

I get a flood of responses to my call for aid. I only screenshotted the ones I found particularly notable; I have a lot of allies this time.

Westeros musters for war.

Aww, my forts went away. Not sure what the point of them is then, really, if they’re only good for one war.

Bran is nice!

Craster’s Keep bravely swearing their allegiance against the cold gods they once served is repaid by the Others falling upon their meagre forces and massacring them.

Brynden Blackfish falls to the ravages of old age. That’s a damned shame, I liked him.

Bran :)

Bran :(

poo poo. Shitshitshitshitpoo poo. This fucks things up, especially with Dany and the dragons, in ways I can’t even begin to guess at, to say nothing of the inheritance suddenly getting really shaky, and how Eddard is a loving toddler and won’t be much good at anything for at least a decade, and now the council is discontent, and how this is all happening during the loving final battle between good and evil to determine the fate of the world poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Rickon’s unmarried state is suddenly critical.

It’s a little gross, but there’s precedent for this in the canon, and I want to keep Dany locked down.

My council realizes that Brynden makes a lovely regent, being incapable, and overrides his Designated Regent status to replace him. I’m fine with that.

Oh boy. Okay then... all hail King Ned. Let’s loving do this, I guess.

King Bran is mourned with greater pomp and circumstance than we could afford for King Robb.

Vassals are using the funeral feast as a time to air some grievances. I don’t mind, actually -- Maester Gawen had been bugging King Bran constantly to replace Maester Luwin, but he’s Ambitious and I don’t trust him. And Heke is some lowborn nobody that I don’t mind hucking into jail to placate a vassal.

Rest well among the trees, King Bran.

My secondary army has formed up as allies begin to appear, marching up beyond where the Wall once stood to fight our common foe.

At least it’s only a mild winter.

A peasant revolt crops up and is crushed as an afterthought by the Martell forces as they continue their march.

The Others are so completely outmatched they’re not even managing to put up a fight.

It’s open season on ice demons.

Oh hey, even the Kingsguard have shown up!

As a show of gratitude to the people of Craster’s Keep, I crush a revolt that’d sprung up after they got slaughtered by the Walkers.

The shattered remains of the White Walkers’ horde of undead has fled as far north as it can, only to be hunted down yet again.

Vast swaths of Beyond-The-Wall are now conquered and the Walkers are cornered and will soon be exterminated as my own armies and allied forces move in from every direction, making retreat impossible.

Man, with a realm relatively at peace and everyone putting their silly political differences aside to form up ranks and crush the numerous but undisciplined zombie hordes with military might and good generalship, this was actually pretty easy. Why do I have the feeling that this isn’t how it’s gonna go down in the book or show, though, I wonder?

The final battle begins, and the Others get one last gently caress-you in before I remove them from existence. (Poor Nyessa.)

Meanwhile, that nobody Heke has demanded trial by battle, and I see an opportunity here. Hey, Ser Jarman! Remember when you married my aunt and you’ve just been sitting around my court being useless since? I’m rooting for you to lose.

Awesome. My hands are clean and Sansa is single.

With my position so weak, I decide I’d like to be friends with the Iron Throne for now -- any conquering of it I might do is decades off in the future due to King Bran’s untimely death, and having more relatives with claims can only help.

Plus, being Queen of the Iron Throne with a handsome, kind King besides her is what Sansa’s always wanted. She’ll be happy.

GOODBYE FOREVER, FUCKERS.

With the War for the Dawn won, all of Winter’s territory is returned to living hands. That means that Beyond-The-Wall is now ruled by wildlings once more and the Night’s Watch has been refounded and restored to their territories.

Okay, then! What’s next?

Questions for the Council:

Seriously, what’s next? We are wide open right now and with the looming threat of apocalypse gone, can start concentrating on more prosaic matters. The first order of business is probably going to just be sitting tight, consolidating my rule, and waiting for the levies to replenish, but especially as King Ned starts to age towards adulthood, we can strike out again.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Edric is suddenly a Baratheon. How does that happen? Also, this claims that Heke might be the real name of the first Reek.

Considering Westerosi society in general and our mother-wife in particular frowns upon slavery, how about a campaign against the slave-keeping Free Cities? Is it even possible to force them to give up their slaves?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 8, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bring the Wildlings under our enlightened protection. Preferably through diplomacy, but if it comes down to a war, so be it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Rebuild? Let your loyal subjects prosper? Also maybe invade the iron islands and raze every holding.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Wait...what?

Why did Bran kick the bucket?

Did I miss something?!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think we need to do something about the Wildlings. The Night's Watch is an obvious, total failure (and they cut Jon's balls off), so we should establish a new kingdom beyond the Wall to protect us! Conquer the Wildlings, give the land to Rickon or Arya.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

mauman posted:

Wait...what?

Why did Bran kick the bucket?

Did I miss something?!

Crippled characters in CK2 get a permanent health penalty. Bran just happened to roll really bad at a really early age, and his crippled body gave out on him.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think we need to do something about the Wildlings. The Night's Watch is an obvious, total failure (and they cut Jon's balls off), so we should establish a new kingdom beyond the Wall to protect us! Conquer the Wildlings, give the land to Rickon or Arya.

THE KING/QUEEN IN THE EVEN FURTHER NORTH!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ruler of the Super North!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kopijeger posted:

Considering Westerosi society in general and our mother-wife in particular frowns upon slavery, how about a campaign against the slave-keeping Free Cities? Is it even possible to force them to give up their slaves?

We married Dany to Uncle Rickon.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Ahh, they both had the child portrait, that's why I mixed them up. Come to think of it, are same sex marriages an option at all?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kopijeger posted:

Ahh, they both had the child portrait, that's why I mixed them up. Come to think of it, are same sex marriages an option at all?

I'd imagine no since it'd fly in the face of everything that a noble pairing is supposed to represent in a feudal-based system (i.e. continuation of the bloodline(s)).

If it is an option, I'd imagine it'd be a suicidal choice to make.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, Little Eddard is betrothed... to his mom? The game lets you do that?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Scroll up like three posts.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

Little Eddard does not appear to be betrothed at all. If you're playing a Targaryen of the Valyrian Faith, then yes, if the father is dead and she doesn't have the 'Widowed' lockout, provided one of the three wife spaces is free. (My record in a Targaryen game starting at Aegon's Conquest was a great-grandson of Aegon the Conqueror simultaneously having a Mother-Wife, Sister-Wife and Daughter-Wife. Oldschool Targaryens are sick, sick people.)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

GunnerJ posted:

Isn't there a song about that?

Is Eddard now his own grandfather? Is he more Targareon than Stark?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

No, I married Rickon to Dany.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

CapnAndy posted:

No, I married Rickon to Dany.

AJ_Impy posted:

Dany is auntie to a/the true king. Game is back in canonical line with the show and/or books

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Well, that was pretty anticlimactic.

How does this mod model the Walkers and their zombie armies mechanically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, that was pretty anticlimactic.

How does this mod model the Walkers and their zombie armies mechanically?
I don't know where they get their initial army, but it seems like every time they conquer someting, they add all its previous garrisons and levies to their forces, so they get stronger every time they take another win. When I started denying them wins they had nothing to replenish their losses with, just a single static army that every victory for the living took another stripe off of.

• Locked thread