Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 23: Kaze With Chain (Voice of the Gods, Part A)

New update time!

but first base nonsense

Kaze gets a LCK and DEF bonus that ends up getting wasted for reasons you'll see next update.

Hana, I would think you would know how Sakura spends her free time, but ok

This is conveniently enough to get their support we missed last time.

Rat boy gets me a bamboo stick

It's a Naginata with only 1 attack, but 100 accuracy and a dodge bonus and no crit/skill restrictions. So aside from slightly less damage, it's way better than Bronze/Brass as a base level E-rank weapon.

Azura's probably getting it to tote around on the regular.

neopet gets HP RES

Music: Quiet Burn
Music: Quiet Burn (Roar)

Felicia's ready to cut some dudes, and Corndog is here to help.

I know I said last time this place was kinda like previous FE arenas, but it's also kinda not. You don't really win cash in the Arena, and you don't get EXP.

So not really like previous FE arenas.

But in this one you can wager your beans

It puts the units in an offensive pair up, (who leads is your choice, so we go with the Cdog) and they duke it out against another offensive pair up of generics until someone wins.

I think if nobody comes to help, it's just a 1 on 1, which may situationally be better.

So after marching in here and pulling a definitely not rigged battle, we get some extra Onyx.

Yeah that's all.

Aha! Now that I've lured you into thinking this is just nothing, I activate my trap card! Kunai With Cha-

Kunai With Cha. The naming in this game is based on font size and not a character limit. It's weird.

As much charisma as Kunai With Chain has, I fix its name to be proper. Poster Slaan has good taste in trap cards.

Kaze continues to hold onto it for now.

I also decide to trade in some of the Jade for the Yumis we don't use to get a Coral piece and upgrade an Iron Naginata for Subaki.

If anyone wants to give this a name too. They can. Much like our renamed dagger, these upgraded Iron weapons will see frequent use throughout the entire game.

A 5-to-1 exchange rate is abysmal, but Jade and Onyx are in effectively unlimited supply.

Music: Rush (Dark)

Following this, I do one last bit of prep for the coming battle. Given the votes had no distinct winner, I made the decision based on who was coming into the next map with us.

This means Jakob has now thrown in the towel and picked up the horse. He is now a Paladin, and a rather deadly one at that.

His STR is now a great 18, and while not spectacular, 9 DEF and 8 RES pair with the high max HP to make him an adaptable unit.

We had enough healers anyways, and we've got more options for thrown weapon users.

To accommodate his new class, I buy him a Bronze Sword we needed anyways and hand him a Brass Naginata alongside the Bamboo Pole.

Probably better he focuses on swords as spears and throwing don't really have classes iin common, but he gets what I got.

Hayato's also coming with on the next battle, so he gets an Ox Spirit scroll. He's upgraded from rat kid to cowboy yeehaw

he'll always be rat kid in our hearts though

Ox gives +1 DEF and has kinda bad accuracy in return for good damage and no critical/skill lock.

With Hayato and Jakob already set, I get the rest of the team ready.

Sakura gets loaded up on the best festals available + Rescue,
Gunter is loaded up on axes + the dodge katana...,

and Subaki rolls out with a full complement of D-rank naginatas.

As the fifth member was a tie, I took the vote into my own hands and brought him as he was the lowest level character present. Hopefully he proves himself worthy of more levels.

And, one last thing before we head off- we got a support!

----------------------SUPPORTS----------------------------

Hana x Sakura C-

A slightly awkward exposition is had, and bestie roasts a bestie

though sometimes ya do just go "remember when we were kids and-"

This here at least provides a lot of context to Hana's background and some look into her character that otherwise goes mostly unsaid.

This one feels like it was written earlier in development given the length, but that's just speculation. It wasn't bad at least.

---------------------------------------------------------------

After Fuga's Great Detour, he puts on on the path to Izumo so we can ask about the Emblem of Fire.

Chapter 10
Voice of a God

Music: Paradise (Light)

*We open to a panning shot of a temple high above a village, shrouded in trees. The setting sun highlights it as stars peek through the night sky.*

CORNDOG: So that's Izumo's central palace. There's something...calming about it.

AZURA: Yes. Izumo has long been known as the kingdom of the gods. It only makes sense that the center of its power would radiate peace.

AZURA: While all the other kingdoms quarrel, it maintains a neutral stance.

AZURA: I'm glad we made it here safely. Let's go find the archduke.

That sure was a great looking illustration to use for all of 10 seconds.

Fade to black into...

*Corndog, Sakura, Gunter, Hayato, and Azura stand at the entrance to the town, facing a green unit with a unique sprite.*

IZANA: I am Archduke Izana, first heir to the divine bloodline, descendant of the gods...

IZANA: ...keeper of prophecies, and winner of best hair...five or six times? I forget.

Izana's a quirky dude, you see. That hair is pretty good though, if uncomplicated.

IZANA: It's so nice to finally meet you! I imagine your journey here was quite difficult.

IZANA: Time to kick back and relax! Izumo is a wonderful place. You could stay here forever!

CORNDOG: Th-thank you very much for such a warm greeting...

IZANA: Oh, it's nothing! You know, I'm really glad you came! I rarely have company. I'm so excited, I hardly feel like myself!

HAYATO: I don't understand... Why is he being so informal? Is this how all major leaders of the world are meant to behave?

SAKURA: No, they don't normally act this way. He's just...a special case.

He's just chillin' and enjoyin' life- who needs all this social ceremony stuff?

This is obviously very out of place for the honor and deference focused Not-Japan of course. The Nohr siblings were pretty casual too, but that all clammed up in front of Bad Dad so it's even reasonably unusual to our pink princess.

CORNDOG: Pardon me, Archduke- —we actually came here to ask you some questions.

IZANA: Oh? What about? Ask away, my friends! If you've got any good gossip to share, I'd be ever so pleased to listen!

CORNDOG: We were wondering if you could share what you know about the Seal of Flames.

IZANA: Huh? The Seal of Flames? That sounds pretty boring to me... I don't bother remembering dull things.

CORNDOG: I...see. Just when I thought we were going to catch a break, too.

Yeah, a Fire Emblem sounds pretty boring, why would you ever mess with something like that?

Alas, poor Corndog. Unable to give explanations, unable to get explanations. Life is just really confusing.

IZANA: Hey now, don't look so disappointed! I've prepared a feast for you inside!

IZANA: You should eat, drink, and be happy while there is still time to do so!

AZURA: Wait. Are you sure you don't know anything about the Seal of Flames? The fate of the world may hang in the balance.

IZANA: Grrr... I said I've never heard of it!

Getting a little testy there, Izana. Come to think of it, some of those statements were oddly ominous...

GUNTER: Of course you haven't, you imposter.

IZANA: What? You're calling me an imposter? After I've prepared a feast for you all?

GUNTER: Don't be coy with me. It's plain to see you're hiding behind a magic illusion.

GUNTER: Reveal yourself!

IZANA: Ah! Gunter, you're no fun at all!

MVP Gunter knows what's up.

Music: Spreading Shadow

*A spell is cast and Izana puffs into smoke, leaving behind an unfamiliar face!*

:aaaaa:

ZOLA: Eeheehee! It's been a while, hasn't it?

GUNTER: Zola- —I knew it was you behind that magic!

AZURA: Gunter, who is this?

GUNTER: This cretin is a Nohrian mage. He specializes in illusions and deception.

CORNDOG: But...then where is the real archduke?!

Yeah, about that. We should really grab this guy and interrogate him.

ZOLA: I'm afraid it's off to jail for him—- the clink, the slammer, the cooler!

ZOLA: Oooh, cooler! That reminds me- —it's time to make use of King Garon's ice bomb!

ZOLA: Everyone, fire! ...Hehe, fire the ice bomb...

*A group of dark mages and a mercenary rush in!*

*A magical blizzard envelops the whole area!*

CORNDOG: Get ready, everyone!

The entire town is encased in ice! Presumably we can't just walk around this (even though it looks like we can and we also have a guy on a flying horse and they no archers). This whole ice bomb thing ends up a bit goofy, mechanical implementation included, but I can praise the Fake Izana play.

Fake Izana has some really fun wordplay going on in his dialogue, from being so excited he's "not himself", "stay here forever", "while there's still time"... He even tries to bait out strategic info through the means of gossip. As we'll also see at the end of this chapter, Izana really is this unusual and with the reputation preceding him, he's also a really easy target to impersonate. Even the voice acting bits are really close most of the time- it's an unnecessary detail but a good one nonetheless.

And it makes sense that Gunter, a guy whose been in Garon's high circles would both know and recognize Zola. It's even possible that Nohrian intel would have them believe Gunter was dead, making this upset unpredictable.

This is some good stuff for once.

Music: Those Who Visit

What's less good is this whole ice bomb thing. It's a neat idea, but the execution is ridiculous on different levels.

The entire map is a square encased in ice tiles, attacking one also breaks the adjacent tiles near it to reveal area.

The weirdest part of this is that Zola froze most of his ambush army with this, all of whom are carrying droppable loot. So its kind of a fog of war map, but the enemies are lootbags who can't do anything until revealed.

It's also a giant slog that took me over 30 turns without me grinding needlessly. The problem lies in how little is revealed unless you use a ranged attack, and how frequently that has someone standing on the frontlines weighed down or not needing to be there.

It's easy to suffer kinda BS deaths here, although that can be attributed a bit more to playing too fast and loose without knowing where all the enemies are. You have to go defensive and slow if you don't know where every enemy is.

Anyways, here's the crew. I guess we somehow dodged the ice? I guess it wasn't really his plan to get found out right at the gate, and presuming they captured the civilians already, none of them would really be convincing decoys.

I make that presumption on the villagers because none of the houses are visit-able. It probably makes more sense all the villagers are missing, really. They'd know what was up with Fake Izana immediately.

Meh, whatever. The whole bomb thing is kinda comical, but I'll take it.

Join us next time as the Boy Band and their two pinkish haired managers melt the cold atmosphere in Izumo!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Ah yes, this stupid slow map. Much punching of snow/ice.

Also, you got a repeat screenshot between "kick back and relax..." and "th-thank you very much"

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Ah yes, this stupid slow map. Much punching of snow/ice.

Also, you got a repeat screenshot between "kick back and relax..." and "th-thank you very much"

Thanks for the heads up, somehow missed it in my editing pass, but it's not unsurprising it's there. Had a bit of a screenshot kerfuffle at one point.

EDIT: Will be behind on this to thanks to the holidays and other stuff going on, so I think we'll resume our regularly scheduled nonsense on the 1st of the next year

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Amazingly, the last 20 or something days passed without me getting a chance to even think about working on any LP. It may be 10 AM of the new year but I'm also running on 4 hours of sleep.

It's all a blur and most of it wasn't particularly enjoyable. Also my hands were doing good, and now they're kinda not? At least I figured out a way to reduce the strain buildup a little.

Well, anyways. Here's hoping 2023 proves better.

I'll try and get something out this week, if not next week at least. I know everyone is extremely excited to see 35 turns of punching ice. :)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 24: Late Christmas Snow Punching(Chapter 10- Voice of the Gods, Part B)

Music: Curious Dining

THIS TIME ON COOKING WITH CORNDOG:

Rinkah shows off a traditional cooking method originating from her tribe!

Ah, a wonderful display of burnt yogurt.

What do the judges think?

It's overwhelming praise from her highness's personal chef!

(Yeah, I somehow totally called it, Felicia just has weird taste. It's not that she can't cook.)

My, even the refined singer Azura is speechless!

And finally, it's brought a tear to Mozu's eye!

An overwhelming success of a palate cleanser, I would say.

On that note, welcome back. Rinkah just served a dish of activated charcoal to our army. This wipes all stat changes, so whoops.

Now it's time to go punch ice!

AZURA: It's incredible... They've done something to encase the entire town in ice.

AZURA: We'll have to break through. The enemy is probably using this ice as cover. Be careful!

Oh, what a cartoon world we find ourselves in.

Music: Justice RIP
Music: Justice RIP (Storm)

On one hand, it's not a rout map. You can just try skip everything and just beat the boss. This is true.

On the other hand, it is still a rout map because many enemies are packing a stat booster and are you really going to skip those?

I suppose it's not bad if you just target the boosters you want and ignore the less impactful ones.

So, punching ice, how does it work?

You hit a tile and every ice block in a 1 tile radius (diagonals included) is also destroyed.

For this reason ranged weapons inherently open the path faster, but creates problems when enemies are revealed. Being slowed down by thrown weapons/ a squishy ranged unit and being actionless in front of potentially multiple enemies is bad.

This is also the only map I've had to restart on thus far because rat kid kept getting killed.

This map is like fog of war maps in that it's much easier when you already have metaknowledge of enemy positions.

This map is basically fog of war anyways, just one with a tiny sight range, enemies that only move when revealed, and far more time consuming.

STR, MAG, LCK

We open with Jakob going ahead and closing off a level. He doesn't need it as much as the other people on the team, but we'll always take it.

Pretty meh level, and I remain sad the previous attempts crashed and burned because there was both a weirdly jacked rat kid and a Jakob that wouldn't stop hitting big levels every level.

Jakob gets Elbow Room as the first of his retroactive skill gains. This is +3 damage while fighting on effectless terrain which is also this entire map.

Jake's got an effective 22 STR now.

Subaki is the main level needer here, and only gets MAG, SKL, RES.

i'll take res i guess

despite having gotten most of the way through the map twice now i don't remember the layout that well

as evidenced by rat kid now standing nearly alone and facing two melee users

Luckily Gunter and Jakob have high movement range and this kinda works out.

Here's rat kid's cowboy spell

its very red

Also Gunter's DEF is really lacking these days, particularly without those previous class bonuses.

GUNTER: I will have my revenge!

oh hey random Luna proc

the sparkle stab is less sparkly in this game 0/10

Sakura heals up our Hero and gets a decent level.

MAG, SKL, SPD, LCK

also you'll have to forgive me for not doing such a turn-by-turn and play-by-play here, this takes like 35 turns so i'm just gonna drift through this

We clear the enemies out by the first set of houses, nothing special has dropped yet, just healing stuff.

I've learned to have Gunter not use his Hand Axe to break ice unless I know it's safe to do because then he's standing around with 5 SPD and dies to everything on the map.

More ice down, and I get a good position on this one. There's like one or two more enemies in this group but I managed to separate these out first with the added benefit of making some lucky chokepoints.

The Dragonstone continues to be a really good weakening tool. It's kind of funny, the CDog has pretty much taken up the role Gunter used to have for the last few maps.

She's untouchable to physical units, weakens well, and can absolutely delete something off the map if needed.

gunter ya gotta start dodging more

i mean its okay for now as it lets me grind healer exp but still

GUNTER: This ends now!

i appreciate the cool moves though

keep it up

Subaki + rat kid take out the armor knight offscreen, then rat kid takes out the cav that moved in on us.

He gets HP, STR, SKL, LCK, DEF for it which is a very not-caster level but still very appreciated for bulk.

He also gets Future Sight from hitting level 10 and:

"When user triggers the battle, Luck% chance of gaining double experience when user defeats the enemy."

...Seems pretty good I guess. The Luck% skills never actually seems to land for me in these games though. It doesn't proc once for the entirety of this map, that's for sure!

Corndog bulldozes a path through the south while Jakob nets us another entirely accidental but excellent ice breaking.

Subaki needs the experience more so I'll have to get him in on it in some way.

This results in a spectacular weaken to 1 HP on one of the enemies.

Jakob also uses a barely sharpened bamboo pole to frightening efficiency now.

Sakura gets her 10th level on a drat spectacular one.

HP, MAG, SKL, SPD, DEF, RES

What else is there to say?

She gets Rally Luck which is, at the very least, better than Rally Skill. +8% Crit to all nearby allies within 2 tiles is pretty decent if she doesn't have any healing to do.

then rat kid shoots a stack of printer paper at a dude in armor for good damage

he does it again and the man falls over due to papercuts on 80% of his body

Following this, Corndog takes the most substantial damage she's taken in a long time, but only because it's a high STR enemy with a Steel weapon.

Gunter Lunas again just to dunk on the enemy cavalier with 1 HP.

This was the enemy turn, by the way. The cav chose this.

If you were trying not to get styled on in your last moments, cav, you failed

also the sparkle was much better than last time, i am glad my review had a positive effect on you, Fates Luna

This nets us an Arms Scroll, or better known as I Just Reclassed And I Need Real Weapons Scroll.

rat kid papers the Steel Lance user, gets it, and opens up space for Sakura to heal our pink heroine.

i punch ice

you punch ice

we all punch ice here

Jakob continues his northward advance with Subaki and Gunter close behind. There's a few items in this side of the map we want too.

out pops a merc

Meanwhile the rat kid + little sister + Corndog crew chip away at the southwest.

CORNDOG: I make my own fate!

whoops

well, there's a Dragon Fang proc for ya

probably should've removed that skill if she's going to be on tank duty, she gets 14 EXP from kills at this point

We did get another Heart Seal for that.

GUNTER: A grave mistake!

okay who spiked the old man's tea

well there goes a kill for subaki

The crits and procs are getting frighteningly common this update.

(Also Gunter gets more EXP from a kill than Corndog)

The northern team reunites with the southern team for a time and the ice punching continues

HP

As Corndog pushes west, Sakura heals her from across the wall and we get a really disappointing level, but still not actually terrible.

Just HP is bad but tolerable on a fragile unit in a game where HP growths are comparatively low. If it was SKL or LCK I would be unhappy.

Also Staves C for her.

rat attac

(I sent him in melee here just so Subaki could help- there's no other threats around so this will just get healed next turn.)

This gets us a Speedwing, possibly one of the most coveted stat boosters.

See, totally safe! Absolutely safe with no way this could've gotten rat kid rat dead for the third time. :)

Oh hey, there was another. Well, this complicates things. I wanted Subaki and rat kid to team up, but okay

change of plans

It's not like you couldn't finish the guy off on your own, but here have some Jakob support.

This nets us a Seraph Robe which is normally quite desirable in my eyes, but only goes up in value in this game's balance towards lower HP.

It's kinda +2.5 to both DEF and RES while not being affected by defense piercing or stat changes... as long as you're not getting doubled. Or hit with an effective attack.

So not really, but it's still good. 5 HP is enough to beef up anyone on our army a decent amount.

HP, MAG, LCK

rat kid levels up on a counterattack, it's ok

HP, LCK

Subaki javelins the guy from behind rat kid and gets a less acceptable level.

the man will not level str

He just hit 10, so he gets Camaraderie. It's like Relief from Awakening, except you heal %health when you're near allies not away from them. It's only 10% HP so just 2-3 points in the end.

I feel like it's a skill probably better when in a different class, but then again, lone wolfing is pretty rare when you're not a god unit anyways.

This guy drops some Spirit Dust which is either nose candy, or bonemeal, or crystallized alcohol

either way +2 MAG, pretty good

Since I've never made it this far in the map up until this point, I thought it only safe to just keep the whole crew together while I move up this left hallway and go get the northeast items later.

Slow, but probably for the best, given this hallway has a lot of enemies in it.

Jakob continues to do concerning amounts of damage with a stick

Made a small misplay here, forgot Gunter was still attached to Subaki

whoops but whatever

Sakura levels yet again healing Jakob

SKL, SPD, LCK

what a lord level

Her SPD is getting pretty good if we ever wanted to stick her in a combat class.

Jakob then levels off assisting Subaki.

HP, SKL, LCK, RES

I'll take it.

Class changing does mean he's on the fast track of learning new skills, which is why he just picked up Shelter. Lets us GBA rescue a unit, cannot complain having this.

His actual Paladin skills will start arriving soon.

Oh and Subaki is at Lances C, which means he can use the Killer Lance if he wanted to.

(we also got a free javelin)

Take out this last horse hiding in the ice and get a Secret Book. SKL +2, yay.

Useful for some characters at least.

Whole lot a nothin' so far, getting close to the boss.

Yep, there's Zola just up there. He doesn't move, so we're only concerned about these mages.

Corndog still has 0 RES (1 base -1 from katana), so she'll get destroyed here.

Rather than just taking small shots across the wall, I decide to try and make a safe path to have them come directly to us.

This wasn't a good idea to begin with in hindsight...

oops theres more and i'm down two unit moves

Also this dark mage is carrying what is effectively a killer book, so that's nice!!!

And so the mage meets the wrath of Jakob's fishing pole

And we now own a Mjolnir. Killer book time, neat.

rat kid still has half a bar to go on getting to C so in the box it goes!

Subaki + rat kid take out the sudden cav

we get 5000 buckaroos

And Sakura rallies LCK. I won't really need it, but some crit avoid never hurt anyone.

I'm not really afraid for Jakob's life here, his DEF/RES + HP at this point in the game clowns on most enemies- these mages are no exception.

See, I was worried that the mages would be smarter about teaming up on Subaki with the merc jumping in on offensive pairings, but no.

I don't think it would've killed him anyways, for all his lack of offense, he remains quite tanky.

yea, worried for nothing

the bamboo stick continues to rack up a killcount

HE GOT STR

STR, SKL, RES

yo, i'll take it

rat kid shows them how it's done

And Jakob decides it's time to just skewer this poor mage on assist

For as kinda mediocre as he started, drat, he crits a lot

Keep in mind that 24 damage crit is half of what he would've crit for if he was leading. And it was already enough to one shot.

Now that we're closing in on the end of the map but still have like 15 turns to go, time to go a bit fast.

Another dark mage, I let him attack Sakura to deal nearly nothing

Gunter gets some action in on a Fighter + Merc combo back to our right.

Jakob removes said fighter from existence

rat kid cleans up for level 12

STR, MAG, SKL, LCK, DEF

most excellent

Also the enemies are still dropping things, but they're mostly more basic weapons of many varieties and healing staves. Plus the occasional healing drink.

PUNCH THE ICE

DESTROY IT ALL

My aggressive clearing then gets Subaki left in the open with his slow javelin out, but in a hilarious turn of events, the threatening fighter only has a hand axe

And so he and his leather speedo opt to attack "defenseless" Jakob instead, and fail to even hit because it's a 50%.

Sakura continues her quest to try and break one of these staves, netting level 13 in the process.

HP, SKL, SPD, LCK

Won't complain about SPD and HP, although some other stats would be nice.

Making our way to the northeast corner, we pick up a Goddess Icon. 2% crit is 2% crit.

Sakura finally breaks that festal I've been grinding EXP off of

Subaki gets his 12th: HP, SKL, SPD

SPD is good, HP is good, but wow has he been getting rather small levels on this run

Dracoshield! +2 DEF. We've got a lot of people who could make good use of this.

This merc hiding in the ice just below us has an Energy Drop for our use. +2 STR.

And another merc not far away has a Talisman. +2 RES is particularly good, although Corndog is probably too far gone to ever make use of this.

Last few enemies over here, just have healing drinks

turn 27 by the way

That's all, time to skip 4-5 turns as I run all the way back to the boss!

yaaaaaay

Turn 32, so yeah, 5 turns to cross about 24-28 tiles with some good pair-up chaining across the map. Not a bad performance on my part, although this map shouldn't be this much of a hassle.

No idea why the deployment limit is so low on this map. Maybe the 3 units we recruit at the end of this chapter were intended to be recruited on map at some point.

oh, spoilers, we get more units

spoilers, that'll be the case for like 10 more maps

So, Zola is our boss. His stats aren't really that impressive compared to what we have seen already, Nosferatu is really the only reason he's dangerous.

Without RES tanks, he'll probably be recovering a lot of HP back on counterattacks, unless of course you dodge or just crit his face off.

With Subaki and Jakob both having a RES of 12, Zola will barely get any HP back.

Music: Squirm in the Dark

ZOLA: Mwe-hehehehe! You can't possibly defeat me!

keep telling yourself that, bud

yeah, that 40% hit chance and 7 damage really means the odds are in your favor, that's just how math works right

There's a 40% chance this is lethal right here. I'm going to take this opportunity to grind a bit of support + chip EXP though.

Sakura gets level 14: STR, SKL, SPD

Folks, I think she really wants to pick up a weapon or something.

Even Gunter is getting in on the grinding.

Our rat boy gets his rat skills to C, so now he is worthy of Mjolnir.

I meant to get Gunter and Jakob to top off a final level here, but I didn't want to give the whole boss EXP to either of them and I didn't want to sit around any longer, so...

CORNDOG: You won't stop me!

ZOLA: N-No more... hiding...

ZOLA: Gah! I can't believe it! Was your weakness an illusion?

No, they just nerfed Nostanking. Too late to adapt, m8

This gets Corndog just under 100 EXP, for level 15:

STR, MAG, SKL, LCK, DEF, RES

The RES is appreciated, but really not necessary. It's too abysmal to recover from.

Oh and he dropped a Master Seal. The game really wants us to promote or something, huh?

Really not having that much trouble right now to even need an early promote, Jakob, Felicia, and Gunter aside.

Eh, still up to the thread at the end of the day. If you all decide it's funny to promote someone at 10 for no reason, I'll still do it.

Oh right, seize map

for some reason

i guess it keeps you from just blitzing the boss with Corndog and ignoring the chaff, but also Azura exists and has since chapter 5

35 Turns, 34 if you don't count the one needed for seizing.

I appreciate the attempt at spicing up fog of war, but the execution is a slog and just as prone to sudden death. 3 or 4 more units deployable would've helped a lot.

what is with this game and massive maps + tiny army

seriously

anyways join us next time as Revelation continues to be the weird romhack + abridged version of Birthright with minor changes

we've still got another chapter of just Hoshido stuff to go

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Not even enough to defeat the boss, gotta seize the blank tile he was standing on just to rub in the tedium.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Our hero is putting in some work!

....even if he's failing to kill with crits

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
At least there will be icy cold drinks for a while in the cafeteria

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 25: Break Out the Big Bows (Chapter 10- Voice of the Gods, Part C)

Slaan posted:

At least there will be icy cold drinks for a while in the cafeteria

we've gotta do something with all that crushed ice

Ah, the aftermath of Zola's snowcone disaster.

Right, anyways. Some kinda big plot today. Sorta. Maybe. It depends. Possibly. There's a chance.

Music: Spreading Shadow

CORNDOG: We've won. You can't escape now, Zola.

CORNDOG: Tell us where the archduke is!

ZOLA: HA! You really think it'd be that easy?

ZOLA: What a naive little girl you are. I always have an escape plan!

CORNDOG: What are you—-?!

*And so he runs up to Sakura...*

*...and takes her hostage despite Corndog being right beside her.*

ZOLA: Ho! Look at me and my adorable hostage!

SAKURA: Corndog!

CORNDOG: Sakura!

CORNDOG: Let her go, Zola! Are you really going to stoop this low? Do the honorable thing!

as of course, honor and nohr go hand in hand, corndog would know

ZOLA: Pfft to your honor! I'd rather win than be honorable! After all, the winner is the one who writes the history books!

ZOLA: Now, put down your weapons! If you don't, the girl—-

*The sound of a magic cast is followed by Zola being surrounded in runes as a tree erupts from beneath him!*

ZOLA: GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!

And thus Zola died and didn't hang around for multiple chapters to an ineffectual conclusion.

CORNDOG: It can't be... That magic...

We have seen it before...

(although it was a hell of a long time ago)

Music: Homesick (Dark)

LEO: You were the lowest of the low, Zola...

LEO: Hiding behind hostages—you disgraced the entire Nohrian army.

Yo, it's this guy.

When's you and your silly tree spell going to join us?

also ty for the save

CORNDOG: I knew it! I knew it was you, Leo!

CORNDOG: Thank you for saving Sakura!

CORNDOG: Leo... Will you join us? We could use your aid in the battle ahead. I don't plan to fight with Nohr; I've learned of a dire truth...

oh boy, here it comes

LEO: What are you talking about?

CORNDOG: After I refused to side with Hoshido or Nohr, I learned that King Garon... He is being manipulated by someone.

LEO: What? How do you know this?

CORNDOG: Listen carefully. He didn't want to start this war with Hoshido.

CORNDOG: He's being controlled by our real enemy— someone hiding behind the scenes. This invisible foe is who we should really be after!

LEO: I see. Well then, tell me who is pulling the strings.

Are we about to finally convince someone?

LEO: Name the manipulator!

CORNDOG: I'm sorry, Leo... I can't say who it is.

LEO: Unsurprising. I don't know why I wasted time listening to your ramblings.

:sigh:

CORNDOG: Leo, please! Wait! I can't say anything now, but—-

LEO: You're a traitor. I don't want to hear your excuses.

CORNDOG: What? You still don't believe that I have the best intentions?

i really doubt you're going to win him over at this point

LEO: Let me make this as clear as I can... You have abandoned our family, and I have extended you the same courtesy.

LEO: I no longer think of you as my sister. Got it? I only came here to clean up that vile mage. You and I will settle our differences some other time.

*And so he begins to cast again!*

*The spell lands just behind Corndog, although narrowly.*

CORNDOG: Agh!

AZURA: Corndog!!

CORNDOG: Don't worry, Azura, I'm fine. I don't think he was aiming at me. The door to that banquet hall has seen better days, though...

it wasn't anywhere close to the door, but okay

LEO: Go on, Corndog. The real archduke should be inside.

LEO: Along with the pathetic Hoshidan prince, Takumi.

CORNDOG: What? Do you mean—-

*Leo exits the scene with the sound of galloping.*

CORNDOG: Wait! Leo!

CORNDOG: ...Leo...

SAKURA: Corndog! The banquet hall is filled with people! They've all been tied up!

CORNDOG: You can't be serious!

So they took the entire village and tied them up with ropes in the banquet hall.

This really is the Saturday night cartoon chapter.

Music: Lingering Clouds

IZANA: You're here! You're here! You've finally come to rescue me! Thank you so much!

IZANA: You really saved my life! I'm absolutely starving! My tummy has been rumbling for hours now!

Here's the man of the hour himself. For real this time.

CORNDOG: Are you truly the archduke of Izumo?

IZANA: Why yes! That's me! Archduke Izana, first heir to the divine bloodline, descen—-

CORNDOG: Sorry, Archduke, but we've kind of already heard this...

IZANA: Even the hair part?

CORNDOG: ...Yes.

IZANA: Awww...

SAKURA: H-he's even more informal than the imposter...

As I said in Part A, Zola had a rather good impression all things considered.

IZANA: Ah! The fair Princess Sakura!

IZANA: I believe your brother is around here somewhere. He was left in a situation similar to my own. I can only imagine how hungry he is now...

SAKURA: Takumi really is here?

TAKUMI: ...

And here he is! He has failed to notice us, or something.

I suppose one can imagine a rather noisy and crowded event, what with all these villagers getting untied, but we see and hear none of that.

SAKURA: Takumi! I'm so glad you're safe!

TAKUMI: Sakura? : And...Corndog and Azura. What are you all doing here?

SAKURA: Well...I decided that I would fight alongside Corndog.

TAKUMI: What? Sakura, you've turned against Hoshido as well? Ryoma is going to be devastated...

His emotional devastation will have him wait paitently for 25 turns.

Sakura's probably safe from capital punishment. Corndog and Azura, probably not so much.

SAKURA: No, I h-haven't! Neither has Corndog.

SAKURA: No one here has, actually. None of us plan to fight against Hoshido.

SAKURA: Corndog says there is something much worse than Nohr's aggression going on.

SAKURA: She can't explain, but I trust her. Takumi, p-please—- trust her too!

CORNDOG: Takumi...

TAKUMI: Hmph... You'll have to excuse me if I don't find this flimsy explanation acceptable. Sakura may believe in your story- —I don't.

CORNDOG: I see...

Yeah, we just had this conversation with the Nohrian version of him like 2 minutes ago.

IZANA: Nonononono! Ahhh, this won't do! This won't do at all!

IZANA: You've got it all wrong, Prince Takumi!

TAKUMI: What are you talking about?

IZANA: I'm not going to go into all the little details, but basically—-join Corndog. That's what the gods are telling me! Just got some prophetic stuff from them!

As it so happens, Izana here has the entire script of the game and knows we need to recruit someone at the end of this chapter.

Either that, or he's just trying to do something about all the bad vibes harshing his mood right now.

TAKUMI: Huh? Something prophetic?!

TAKUMI: I can't believe that important prophecies just...happen all of a sudden like that.

IZANA: Hey, who's the keeper of prophecies here, you or me? They come as they come. Would you really ignore directions sent down from the gods?

It's hard to tell if he's just making this up as he goes.

TAKUMI: You know, you say that, but...

TAKUMI: How can I choose to side with someone who won't side with her homeland? Of course I'm grateful they saved us, but... I just can't trust Corndog.

IZANA: Jeez, you're one tough nut to crack. What am I supposed to do with you?

IZANA: I don't like breaking out the big bows, but if a little extra prophesizing is needed... Well, Prince Takumi, that's just what you'll get!

"Big bows" as of course, you can't say big guns in a world that doesn't have them.

Anyways, Izana knows that the plot really needs this to happen, so he's gonna make it happen.

Music: The Truth Teller

(Note: This track is also used for the Hubba Tester. Which isn't something I've showed yet, but most of you probably already know.)

IZANA: *ahem*

IZANA: "Everything is not yet seen... The truth is far and hidden low."

IZANA: "The one upon the water's surface, he who knows all is the true foe..."

Well, that was neat, I guess.

IZANA: Whew. There ya go. The gods really want to speak to you, Prince Takumi.

IZANA: Princess Corndog is not your enemy.

TAKUMI: Then who is? What was Sakura saying a moment ago... That Corndog knows something about our supposed enemy?

CORNDOG: Yes. I can't explain it all now, but what Archduke Izana says is true.

CORNDOG: We came to Izumo hoping to find a way to defeat our mystery enemy.

IZANA: Oh, that's right. You were going to ask me about the Seal of Flames.

IZANA: I'm sorry, but I don't know a thing about it.

CORNDOG: How could you possibly know what we were going to ask about?!

IZANA: Premonitions! Prophecies! Haven't you been paying attention?

Izana really is in contact with the writers it seems.

IZANA: Even though I can't help you with the Seal of Flames...

IZANA: My family does have a saying that's been passed down for generations.

IZANA: "We will show she who shuns the light and the dark another way."

IZANA: So, there you have it!

aka "She who has paid $39.99 plus sales tax gets to play this"

AZURA: What does that mean?

AZURA: Is Corndog the one who shuns the light and the dark?

IZANA: I think so! Thus, I need to show you a new path. If you'll excuse me, I'll go hold a little ceremony and ask an ancient god for help.

Is this ancient god different than any of the other unexplained "gods" we've heard of?

CORNDOG: Uhhh...right now?

IZANA: Yep! Fortune favors the bold! Strike while the iron's hot! Carpe whatever! I want to get this little ceremony over with, in any case.

IZANA: Ancient gods aren't exactly easy on the eyes.

AZURA: I hope he returns with some sort of helpful clue to all this...

CORNDOG: I'm sure things will work out. Let's have faith and wait here for him.

It's all good, let's just let the cool party man contact Cthulu or something for advice on how to move the plot forward. He knows what he's doing.

IZANA: S-sorry to have...kept you waiting.

CORNDOG: Archduke, what's wrong?! You look exhausted!

*The music goes silent.*

IZANA: I had a chat...with an ancient god... But even I don't understand it... It's so short, too... "Go meet the dragon."

CORNDOG: A dragon?

IZANA: I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually... I really really hope you do, too.

IZANA: After all, I think I may—- owww ow ow... Yup, definitely gave my life for the message.

*He collapses.*

Music: As All Stars Fall*

(I can't seem to find the exact one that plays here, it sounds like an alternate Wistful Wilds. So have this for now.)

CORNDOG: What! You're dying? How did this happen?!

IZANA: Well, the ceremony I performed always requires something in return. Every message has a price, and the cost of this one was my life.

IZANA: I'd really like it if a bard wrote a nice song about my noble sacrifice...

IZANA: Oh, Prince Takumi... I know I asked before, but... Make sure you help out Corndog, OK?

He might be dying, but he's trying his damndest to recruit our moody brother into our squad.

TAKUMI: But...I...

IZANA: What, you're still not willing? I'm dying here, and you're still unsure? Listen, if you don't...I'll come back as a ghost and haunt you. All the time. Boo.

TAKUMI: Archduke...

IZANA: Well, I said what I needed to say... Bye...bye...

And out he goes, dying within minutes of being introduced to the plot. To be fair, Revelation does expect you to have played the others, so it maybe hits a bit harder there?

Also interesting note, his portrait quickly switches from happy to his default for this. Probably intended for dramatic effect, but text speed is instant so it just kinda flashes by.

Music: The Wistful Wilds

CORNDOG: Why didn't he tell us this would cost him his life?

CORNDOG: Why...

SAKURA: *sniffle...sniffle...* Oh, Izana...

he died for this game's plot

might've not been a good trade, honestly

also I guess this isn't the Saturday morning cartoon chapter anymore

GUNTER: Giving up his life for the good of everyone. He was an admirable man.

no offense, but when did you enter this cutscene

CORNDOG: I'm so sorry... This is all my fault.

CORNDOG: If I hadn't picked this path, the archduke wouldn't have died like this... I didn't realize the cost of my goal, as right as I believe it to be...

TAKUMI: You must keep believing in it. Don't waste his sacrifice.

CORNDOG: Takumi...

Oh, what's this?

TAKUMI: Listen. I'm going to help you accomplish your mission. I'll fight with you.

TAKUMI: After all, it was the archduke's dying wish. So, I'm coming along...Sister.

CORNDOG: Thank you, Takumi. I won't let you down!

I knew he was joining, but I didn't expect this! I made an off-handed comment really early on about him being reliable and useful because he stays hating you and not that useful in the other routes.

Who knew that all it took for him to accept Corndog was the accidental suicide of Party Jesus?

HINATA: Well, if Lord Takumi is going, I guess we'll have to go too!

OBORO: Yup! I'd sooner die than be separated from Lord Takumi.

CORNDOG: And you are?

Oh, yeah, and of course his retainers follow.

HINATA: The name's Hinata! I'm one of Lord Takumi's retainers.

HINATA: I'm skilled with a katana—- if I do say so myself. You'll like having me in a fight!

OBORO: My name is Oboro. Like Hinata, I am a retainer to Lord Takumi.

Another samurai. Cool, I suppose.

OBORO: If at all possible, I'd rather not interact with the Nohrians.

OBORO: But if we are to be allies, then I will do my best to cooperate...

OBORO: For Lord Takumi's sake.

A totally normal Spear Fighter too. Totally normal.

CORNDOG: All right... We're glad to have you with us.

CORNDOG: That's three more valuable allies... Thank you, Archduke Izana. This is all thanks to you.

CORNDOG: I promise to never forget the sacrifice you have made for us.

RIP Party Jesus, you got us more units and vaguely progressed the plot. At least you got a cool CG for it. :smith:

Apparently, the localization made him more eccentric than he originally was. Also, a leftover ending text suggests he might have been playable at some point in development, but that evidently hasn't happened.

There's something about this whole shebang that's maybe relevant in Corndog x Azura A, but I'll save that for when we get there.

With this being the end of the update, how about a look at our new recruits?

------------------------------------------------

Takumi, Cold Hoshidan Prince
"A contrary Hoshidan prince who wields the divine bow, Fujin Yumi. Seeks attention."

Reclass Options: Spear Fighter

Personal Skill -Competitive:
When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Base Growths + Class Growths
HP___ STR__ MAG__ SKL__ SPD___ LCK__ DEF___ RES
50 ____35 ____00 ____60 ____40 ____45 ___35 _____20
10 ____15 ____00 ____20 ____15 ____05 ___10 _____00

Takumi has some pretty good growths, and when you consider that his Prf bow, the Fujin Yumi, has 14 Mt, no stat penalties, and lets him ignore movement penalties from any terrain...

He's pretty good. Broken, some might even say.

As a character, he seems to hate us less this time around, so I guess let's see how that goes? You probably have his gist more than the other two by now.

Hinata, Athletic Samurai
"A coarse warrior and one of Takumi's retainers. Cares for his friends deeply."

Reclass Options: Oni Savage

Personal Skill- Triple Threat:
When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy

55 ____35 ____00 ____25 ____15 ____45 ___45 _____15
10 ____10 ____00 ____15____20 ____15 ___00 _____10

In a similar situation to Subaki, Hinata trades away some of the natural SPD of his class for bulk. This similarly results in a growth rate list that is coin flips or sub-50% odds on all stats. That means luck kinda decides if he'll be good or not but his personal skill seems rather fun and maybe makes up for it.

Almost seems like it'd be better to get him into a tankier class, which is probably why his initial reclass is Oni.

As a character, all I know about him is that he's a generally good-natured muscle dude.

Oboro, Fashionable Naginata Expert
"A daughter of tailors and one of Takumi's retainers. Loves fashion. Hates Nohr."

Reclass Options: Apothecary

Personal Skill- Nohr Enmity:
When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage +3.

30 ____40 ____20 ____40 ____40 ____40 ___40 _____30
15 ____15 ____00 ____15 ____15 ____05 ___10 _____05

Outside of HP, her growths are just kinda better than Hinata's, really. Still, similarly no specialization so it's more up to luck on how well she turns out, but her bases are already pretty strong. Considering that Spear Fighter has her carrying Seal Defense, I like what I see.

The personal skill's a bit situational as we won't always be fighting Nohr units, but it's alright, I guess. Her reclass is Apothecary, the weird, off-shoot Not-Archer, which matches up given Takumi and all.

As a character, I know she hates Nohrians, has a thing for Takumi, and is a bit crazy. So there you go.

That's all for this time! Next time, some base stuff, 2 supports, and preparations for ninja hell.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 6, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
This is probably one of the most obnoxious series of cutscenes in the franchise. Takumi being so stubborn towards siding with the My Unit and his younger sister that Izana has to kill himself right in front of him to guilt him into joining My Unit.

The game is screwing the player out of the explicitly advertised benefit of a Golden Ending version because the developers either want to seem edgy, or they enjoy presenting Takumi as angsty and stubborn that much. I don't understand it at all.

On a side note, LOL at the implication that the only thing keeping Leo from joining My Unit is because they won't give a name for a manipulator. Like, just say it's Iago or Garon. It's not that far from the plot-blocked truth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Odd Wilson posted:

Also, a leftover ending text suggests he might have been playable at some point in development, but that evidently hasn't happened.

He is playable!

In Birthright and Conquest. If you upgrade the castle's hot springs all the way, he pops up as a playable character. And yes, Lady Corrin (or Dude Corrin with the mod) can marry him.

In Revelation he's replaced by someone else if you upgrade the hot springs.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cythereal posted:

He is playable!

In Birthright and Conquest. If you upgrade the castle's hot springs all the way, he pops up as a playable character. And yes, Lady Corrin (or Dude Corrin with the mod) can marry him.

No, Odd Wilson means the devs wrote Izana a Revelation-exclusive ending if he's paired with the MU which went unused.

"Izana gave up his Izumo for Valla and quickly became the kingdom's most famous socialite."

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 18, 2023

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I personally heavily suspect that given how basically nothing those prophecies are, Izana is in fact faking giving his life for the cause specifically in order to convince Tacomeat to properly join Corndog's crew because he saw that getting all the royal siblings was the essential part of making this actually work out. As soon as they finish their obligatory mourning and walk out of his house, Izana just hops back up and goes to get some cake. He doesn't join in Revelation because that might force him to have a support conversation with someone other than Corndog about this stunt.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Jadecore posted:

He doesn't join in Revelation because that might force him to have a support conversation with someone other than Corndog about this stunt.

Why? Gunter's here, and he's refusing to have conversations with even the My Unit.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Delphisage posted:

Why? Gunter's here, and he's refusing to have conversations with even the My Unit.

I don't mean on the dev's side; I mean Izana is choosing to not have to talk to Takumi about faking his death.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Cythereal posted:

He is playable!

Delphisage posted:

No, Odd Wilson mean the devs wrote Izana a Revelation-exclusive ending if he's paired with the MU which went unused.

Yeah, I should've specified Revelation, I did know he was playable in Birthright at least.

Jadecore posted:

I personally heavily suspect that given how basically nothing those prophecies are, Izana is in fact faking giving his life for the cause specifically in order to convince Tacomeat to properly join Corndog's crew because he saw that getting all the royal siblings was the essential part of making this actually work out. As soon as they finish their obligatory mourning and walk out of his house, Izana just hops back up and goes to get some cake. He doesn't join in Revelation because that might force him to have a support conversation with someone other than Corndog about this stunt.

1. Tacomeat is a great name and I'll be borrowing that
2. I can totally believe Izana just faked his death, and it makes it all the more funny that our entire group believes it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I knew Izuma didnt join in Revelations, but I wasnt expecting ... that

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Personally I'm going to go with prophecy induced nap time. And because no one checked for a pulse he just wakes up later, realizes he's not dead and asks if anyone has a hairbrush he can borrow

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I knew Izuma didnt join in Revelations, but I wasnt expecting ... that

I absolutely wasn't expecting this either. I can say that thus far, Revelation has not ceased to surprise me.

(although most of the time it isn't a positive surprise)

FoolyCharged posted:

Personally I'm going to go with prophecy induced nap time. And because no one checked for a pulse he just wakes up later, realizes he's not dead and asks if anyone has a hairbrush he can borrow

To his great dismay, the only thing that can be found is A COMB :iit:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 26: Do the Mokushujin Scuffle (Chapter 11- Mutual Enemies, Part A)

Last time a prophet and leader of a neutral nation died (or pretended to) so that our brother Tacomeat would join our misadventure group.

We have one more chapter of Hoshidan side stuff to do before Nohr comes back into the picture.

That said, base time!

Music: Watery Music Box

First up, an arena battle.

I bet my beans on Rinkah and Kaze.

Making Kaze lead was maybe a risky decision, but I was relying on his SPD and dodge chance here.

worked out anyways

BEANS

Azura procures us another Bamboo Pole. After seeing the terror that Jakob wrought with one, I won't complain.

fishmaid gets MAG SPD and LCK from a cabbage

i dont know where she's hiding all this cash from me at but it's my money and i want it now

we're a princess damnit

And then we have an awkward conversation with Wet Paper Girl to finally close out the points needed for the A support.

Otherwise, we would have only gotten 1 support this update and that's just sad.

Speaking of, support time!

Corndog x Azura - A

In which Corndog nearly snaps herself, Azura can now seemingly take us to The Place To Not Be Named whenever she wants, and we learn some backstory on our main antagonist. Seriously, the whole fact that the big chasm only has a gateway to The Place every so many decades or whatever is supposed to be a big deal. Why can't she do this for our whole army whenever?

If you don't subscribe to the Izana faked death theory, then this at least opens up the possibility that Izana up and contacted Mr. [REDACTED], supposed ancient god, and got snapped for it.

Also these two say they're looking to spend more time together, but I feel like it's a safe bet that's not what the thread plans on. Then again, I'm not you.

The S support is USSM content, at least.

Subaki x Jakob C [UGF]

The two perfection dudes meet up and Jakob basically dunks on Subaki. To be fair, Jakob does have the better stats right now.

which prettyboy is more perfect? only time will tell

they definitely don't like each other, that's for sure

With that done, I take a look at some of the unlocked potential Heart Seal reclassing.

Neither's too bad, and funnily enough, Subaki looks rather decent stat-wise as a Samurai compared to our existing ones.

In the Buildings side of things, we can now make a Hot Spring, but I opt for a Prison instead.

We'll be getting a Capture capable unit soon, so might as well grab this now.

it's also probably better to have horny jail established before the hot springs

yay prison

Also a Subaki Statue. It gets him +1 maximum SPD so that's neat I guess.

Off-screen, another round of base stuff has Hayato win us more beans in the arena, Azura find random wheat on the ground, Hana finds a Rubber Bow, Oboro finds an Umbrella, our neopet gets a level of only HP, and Mozu gets a temp boost of LCK and DEF

Oh, and apparently Corndog and Rinkah get together to do face paint designs when nobody's looking.

Now, onto the mission!

But enough faffing about, off we go to our next mission in the forest of Mokushu.

"Corndog rescues Archduke Izana from a Nohrian Illusionist and gains a valuable ally, Tacomeat. The group then heads into a forest to rescue more Hoshidan forces."

yeah, we sure rescued him

Chapter 11 - Mutual Enemies

I wonder if the game is ever going to mention the aftermath of us constantly poaching important members of the Hoshidan military.

I suppose they probably have infinite faceless generic units though so what does it matter?

Music: How Can That Be?

CORNDOG: Hm? Everyone, hold up! I see something in the distance.

CORNDOG: It looks like...a plume of smoke?

KAZE: That isn't just any smoke... It's my brother's smoke signal.

It mostly just looks like an unassuming column of smoke, if at least a bit larger than a normal campfire's smoke at least.

Maybe there's supposed to be a color to it that I can't see. I'm no smoke signal expret.

CORNDOG: Saizo's there? What does the smoke signal mean?

KAZE: He is. And it means that he's engaging a large number of enemy troops.

CORNDOG: We need to go help him, then!

KAZE: No, Lady Corndog. If he has sent up that specific smoke signal... Well, that isn't him asking for help.

KAZE: That signal is meant to warn allies away; he believes it is too dangerous there.

KAZE: We...should head in a different direction.

Saizo, consistently on that self-sacrificing honor grindset

CORNDOG: You can't be serious... Kaze, that's your own brother out there.

CORNDOG: No, I've made up my mind. Everyone, get ready for battle! We're going to help Saizo!

KAZE: Lady Corndog, why? You'll be putting us all in danger!

CORNDOG: The enemy we are facing can't be beaten if we don't gather allies. And I won't sit on my hands when an ally is in need!

CORNDOG: We have to be willing to help each other, no matter how dangerous a situation is.

KAZE: If you insist, Lady Corndog.

KAZE: Thank you...

When you think about it, this is the third time Corndog has met with Saizo. It's gotta really burn to get rescued by her at this point.

But I guess Saizo is used to burns.

Music: Silence

CORNDOG: This looks like the place where the smoke signal was sent up.

CORNDOG: Do you think Saizo and his foes are still in the area?

AZURA: I don't know... It is difficult to tell. We've entered Mokushu territory. This area is heavily forested, making it easy to get lost. We should stay close.

AZURA: Look, there are footprints leading deeper into the forest. Let's follow them.

*And so Corndog, Tacomeat, Sakura, and Kaze walk into a clearing...*

SAKURA: It's so dark and g-gloomy here... It's kind of scary, really.

TAKUMI: If you need to, you can hold on to my arm.

SAKURA: Th-thank you...

Aw, that's nice.

TAKUMI: We're pretty deep in the forest now. This place is practically a maze.

KAZE: What the—-! Lord Takumi, look out!

Music: Prelude to Dispute

*Kaze pushes Takumi out of the way, blocking a shuriken.*

There's something strange about the fact that only Takumi gets pushed out of the way and Sakura just stays there, although I know it's just an artifact of in-engine animation re-use.

TAKUMI: A shuriken?!

KAZE: Not just any shuriken, either. That was the kind Mokushujin fighters use.

TAKUMI: Mokushujin are attacking us?!

KAZE: They're about to; that was only a scout. There are more enemies heading this way.

My question is why a scout would blow cover like this, completely ruining the element of surprise- particularly a ninja scout.

If it's supposed to be a warning shot, then it shouldn't have been aimed at someone, presumably. And it's not a warning shot anyways, as we find out next update.

CORNDOG: Everyone, get ready for them!

And get ready we shall!

We get to deploy 12 for this map, and...

Said map is a forest plastered in ninja. Plus some other units, but mostly ninja.

Also prepromote ninja!

Alongside Saizo is Orochi, who we saw with him back when we raided their fortress, and a new face, Reina.

The boss himself is hilariously not much better than the pre-promotes spread about the map. Still kinda decent stats though.

This all considered, it's about time we do some voting on the crew we take in for this map.

Stats and potential class changes can be found -> HERE <- if you care.

VOTING PART A - UNITS BROUGHT:
11 slots open so here's the list (in no particular ordering):

Support:
Sakura
Azura
Felicia

Tanks:
Mozu
Rinkah
Jakob

DPS:
Subaki
Hayato
Takumi
Oboro
Hinata
Hana
Kaze

Gunter:
Gunter

VOTING PART B - SUPPORT PAIRINGS:
It's about time we start pairing folks together. Nothing is final yet of course, but out of the following list,
submit up to 4 pairings you want me to try working on supports for.

*Note 1: Azura and Corndog are the only 2 gals who will still have a kid in a same-sex pairing.
*Note 2:BOLD means they join this map.

Gals:
Azura
Corndog
Felicia
Hana
Mozu
Orochi
Rinkah
Sakura
Reina
Orochi

Guys:
Jakob,
Gunter,
Kaze,
Hayato,
Hinata,
Subaki,
Takumi,
Saizo

Limited Supports:
*(Underline means S rank available):
Gunter- Can support with: (Jakob, Oboro, Orochi, Reina, Saizo, Corndog)
Reina- Cannot support with: (Hayato, Hinata)

VOTING PART C - HEART SEALS:
Everyone but Gunter and Jakob can Heart Seal. Check the link above to see the resulting changes.

Saizo and Orochi will join just a bit too low to Heart Seal immediately.

We do have a lot of stat boosters on hand, but we'll wait to use those until probably the 2nd gen units start showing up. Or if the thread really wants it.

Get voting!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I have no memory of this map showing up in Revelation.

Voting Part A
Do not bring Hana, Hayato, or Rinkah

Voting Part B
Corrin x Reina

Voting Part C
Reclass Hinata to Oni Savage

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Deploy:

Azura
Sakura
Mozu
Rinkah
Subaki
Oboro
Hana
Kaze

Rest, don't care.

Supports:

Corndog/Rinkah
Mozu/Oboro
Hana/Sakura
Azura/Reina

Heart Seal:

Mozu

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Part A:
Hana, Kaze, Rinkah, Mozu
Rest your choice

Part B:
The ships I like haven’t shown up yet so don’t have anything, though I’d like to see more of the mod supports

Part C:
Mozu so she can improve her murder skills

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

As someone familiar with the expanded supports, a lot of pairings I'm especially fond of are missing a member for now (though there are a few). However, there are still some really good chains even if you don't make it the romance.

Part A
Oboro, Kaze, Mozu, Rinkah, and Takumi. (Takumi in particular is extremely helpful for ninja hell.)

Part B
Jakob and Subaki
Hana and Sakura
Reina and Orochi
Gunter and Saizo (don't think I've ever actually seen this one. I wonder if they might deserve each other.)

Part C
This is a pretty solid time to heart seal Mozu, since bows have WTA over the ninjas. It's good for her. I also think Subaki's personal growths and stat build might actually work better as a samurai than he does as a sky knight... but this isn't a great map for him to suddenly clip his own wings. Corndog could also make use of the seal pretty well.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Part B:
The ships I like haven’t shown up yet so don’t have anything, though I’d like to see more of the mod supports

Jadecore posted:

As someone familiar with the expanded supports, a lot of pairings I'm especially fond of are missing a member for now (though there are a few). However, there are still some really good chains even if you don't make it the romance.

We're at the end of Abridged Birthright now given by what I see in the recruitment lists, but I still thought it a good idea to ask about pairings now that we have a full-size team + a bit extra available. The Nohr recruitment tap seems to open up next chapter at least.

If anyone doesn't end up with a partner for this map, I'll try and find them a mod support if possible.

Jadecore posted:

Gunter and Saizo (don't think I've ever actually seen this one. I wonder if they might deserve each other.)

Right, I knew I forgetting something. Gunter x Saizo is S capable, there's just no written supports for it. Same for him and Orochi.

It's still functional of course, it just does nothing like the Felicia x Mozu C. Which, looking at the spreadsheet is actually written, but just not implemented. If I find the time, I'll see if I can transcribe it from the source.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Can Kaze's partner find love anew if an accident were to occur and reopen a marriage candidate?

I don't appreciate that Fire Emblem Romance prompted that thought.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well now I kind of want to test out if you can have a cursed tragedy where a single woman marries literally every man in the army one by one as they keep tragically picking up the devil axe.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Malah posted:

Can Kaze's partner find love anew if an accident were to occur and reopen a marriage candidate?

I don't appreciate that Fire Emblem Romance prompted that thought.

I don't think you can marry off a widowed unit... at least as far as I recall. Given the number of ironman runs I've done in Awakening, you'd think I'd know this for sure, but I just don't. I've had plenty of tragic A rank supports though.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well now I kind of want to test out if you can have a cursed tragedy where a single woman marries literally every man in the army one by one as they keep tragically picking up the devil axe.

it's the family heirloom axe, given to every lucky groom on the day of the wedding

the bride's household is really rich, I wonder why

----------------------------------------

Edit: I'll go ahead and lock the votes in now so I can get the recordings done. Got a solid team and and a mapped out idea of the pairings. Definitely looks like Mozu's picking up the bow, I'll see if sealing Corndog is a good idea.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 26, 2023

Malah
May 18, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

This is becoming a Sims LP.

Someone help Subaki. The pool ladders disappeared!!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Malah posted:

This is becoming a Sims LP.

Someone help Subaki. The pool ladders disappeared!!

JAKOB: If you're as perfect as you purport to be, how is this a challenge for you?

JAKOB: Hmph. Nonetheless, my lady appreciates the donation to the treasury.

SUBAKI: *blurble*

JAKOB: Now, don't be disappointed. At the very least...

JAKOB: ...this will get that stain out.

--------------------------------------------------

CORNDOG: Oh, hey, where'd this cool pot come from?

CORNDOG: ...

CORNDOG: Meh, I'm hungry. Where's Jakob?

next update: rat kid uses a birthday cake and it doesn't work

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 27: Do the Mokushujin Filler (Chapter 11- Mutual Enemies, Part B)

Music: Those Who Visit

Alright, so the team we're bringing in is everyone but Hayato, Hinata, and Felicia.

Felicia's just been chilling on the bench a while, really.

Everyone gets appropriately decked out in the best gear for the job. While the thrown weapons are kinda bad for this map, it won't hurt to have them just in case.

More notably, Mozu is finally moving on from Villager into Archer. This barely affects her stats at all so she remains speedy and tanky.

Music: Rush (Light)

(First time we're hearing the Hoshido promotion theme.)

Congrats, she now has real armor, and a really sassy pose.

Despite being brought down to E rank weapons again, her destructive power remains the same.

We have both junk bows to give her, Bamboo and Rubber, but I decide to also go ahead and nab a bronze/brass tier one for her too. More damage and 0% crit.

On the way back, there's some more base stuff to do. I'll just summarize it. We pick up even more dropped items because I don't know if my game is bugged or what but it happens all the time.

The dropped weapons are at least more interesting than usual. Hair Pin is a female only shuriken with okay damage. Malevolent Text is a really hard hitting scroll with bad accuracy and -3 SPD.

We also got a Raider Katana, which has okay attack power, +3 SPD and also... strips armor on effective hit. Yes, as in down to their underwear. Fates, everyone.

it's even the personal skill for one of the later recruits

Aside from that, Rat kid wins some beans in the arena, Corndog talks with Felicia...

Lilith gets a meager level of SPD and LCK

Hinata actually knows how to cook something palatable to the rest of the army, netting a +1 STR from his personal flair. I would've did speed food, but I didn't have any.

In the meantime, we also buy an extra Kodachi (the throwing sword), not because we need it, but just so we have more than one. It was on sale, at least.

I also buy up a few Speed Tonics as while most of our military is fast enough to not get doubled, a few can get into doubling range themselves (Mozu and Kaze, specifically.)

Music: Rush (Dark)

And a last bit of preparation, it's also time for Corndog to Heart Seal. We've got competent sword users now, and these next few maps really benefit from having fliers on the team, so here we go.

Back to 0 RES. All has returned to how it should be. Nature is healing.

I'll only have a Brass Club for her, but you're joking yourself if you think that doesn't mean she won't still obliterate anything she looks at.

Our final formation is this, trying to prioritize the supports requested by the thread. Funny enough, we've got all of our tanky girls paired together (Corndog x Rinkah and Mozu x Oboro).

The operating plan is to push hard towards Saizo immediately.

This map is also way easier than I thought it'd be, so hey. Let's get started.

KOTARO: It looks like a group of fighters has entered the forest- —friends of yours, I imagine.

KOTARO: They must not be too bright. What kind of fool walks right into an obvious trap?

KOTARO: You'd never fall for that- —right, Kagero? Being a retainer to Prince Ryoma and all.

KOTARO: Oh, wait. You did.

All he's missing is an eyepatch and he'd be a smarmy Solid Snake.

And yeah, this was all a trap. I still think it's a bad move on the scout's part to attack us- the full element of surprise could've been had here.

KAGERO: You're a disgrace to all ninja.

KAGERO: Why have you taken me prisoner?— Mokushu is allied with Hoshido!

Hah, you thought we were recruiting just 3 units this map?! How foolish. We're recruiting 4 next map too! We're gonna be drowning in units!

Also, evidently all ninjas have a pec/cleavage window. 'Tis the Hoshidan way, I guess.

KOTARO: Ha, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've decided to ally with King Garon. I've been waiting for this for a long time, honestly.

KOTARO: Once Hoshido has been defeated, Mokushu will rise up to replace it.

KOTARO: I'll finally become a true king!

Reasonable motivation, I suppose, yeah. I have a feeling he might renege on that little arrangement, but I suppose it's worth a shot when it looks like Hoshido is plainly losing this war.

KAGERO: You've lost your mind.

KOTARO: Ouch, no need to be so insulting. Right now it's more prudent to keep you alive... But that could change at any time!

KOTARO: You! Take her away!

NINJA: Yes, sir!

KAGERO: I've always been prepared to die carrying out my mission...

KAGERO: I never realized, though, how much it would hurt to have failed Lord Ryoma. If only I had delivered his message...

She has a voice line for being prepared to die. Looks like the Artorias battle will go well.

SAIZO: Orochi! Have we reached the spot where Kagero was captured?

OROCHI: Yeah... This looks like the area our scout described. However, we've gone so deep into the woods that I can't be sure...

SAIZO: We can't just stand here doing nothing. Let's search the area.

The two from Yukimura's Great Failed Defense are here, plus a new face.

REINA: This forest is amazing... I can almost taste the bitter animosity in it.

REINA: Please let me handle anyone who stumbles upon us. The acoustics here will make their last words all the more beautiful to hear...

Reina's the new face with a big cross scar. She, um, really enjoys fighting. Perhaps too much. But she has the stats to back it up, so who am I to complain?

SAIZO: Don't lose focus, Reina. We can't afford to die here.

SAIZO: Don't worry, Kagero. We're coming.

Worth noting that these units do have to survive the map to join. Their plot armor ended at Fort Jinya.

CORNDOG: Over there! Is that Saizo?

AZURA: Yes. He seems to be engaging the same enemies we are. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend..." That's how the saying goes, isn't it?

AZURA: Talk to Saizo; he may be more willing to join us now than he was before.

yeah i know how to recruit a unit, it's chapter 11 on the experienced player route seriously

Notably, they start as greens who will charge into danger. So they pretty much make themselves priority number 1.

Music: Justice RIP
Music: Justice RIP (Storm)

And we're finally here. It's a rout map, baby!

Mozu, still indestructible.

The only actual threat on this map are the pre-promote Master Ninjas and maybe the archers. And those are nothing in the face of our good units.

Corndog's here to prove how flier effectiveness on bows only matters when you can get the jump on them.

But let's go ahead and get Rinkah on board first.

*The ground beneath erupts, throwing dust everywhere!*

Bamboo spike traps! There's a number of invisible triggers on the map that do this. You can undo them with the nearby Dragon Vein it creates.

Of course, these aren't that threatening, it's only 10% HP and doesn't affect movement at all. They're almost not even here.

They're so inconsequential, this'll probably be the last I talk of them.

anyway archer is die

The victory pose for wyvern riders is the rider giving a pat on the head to their winged buddy. :3:

Kaze very much outmatches the normal ninjas on the map thanks to his SPD and combined power of Kunai With Chain.

The shuriken debuffs put his DEF real low if the enemy actually connects, but he can still take a hit from them even then.

After Mozu weakens and even dodges the damageless counterattack, (she has so much DEF these guys can't even hurt her if she was debuffed), in comes Oboro.

I wish I had a good way of showing it off, but the Spear Fighter class is just so drat stylish with their animations.

Takumi's pairing is him playing third wheel to Subaki and Jakob by process of elimination, but he's really good on this map with his free movement.

The reality is that he gets barely used in this update because this map is so easy and he literally oneshots everything. He's like a STR booster off doing it to the boss even.

Fujin Yumi is broken

Enemy turn, Kaze clears out incoming ninja on the west side. 1 down, 1 weakened, and he could take another.

I say incoming, but they don't even move on this difficulty. Not a single enemy on the map does.

you foolish fool

Mozu is unbreakable

Up north, Jakob is meant to weaken this incoming foe, but...

He just has an obsession with 3% crits and that bamboo stick. I'll have to give him a bronze/brass tier at this rate.

Thoroughly disappointing level results from it. MAG and SKL.

He does get...

Defender which is +1 to all stats when in defensive support.. I replace Live to Serve because it's not like he can use staves right now anyways.

This also gets him Lances D, although he doesn't seem to need it.

Saizo then moves in to steal a kill from me. :(

(It brings him closer to our pink heroine so it's fine, really.)

REINA: A beautiful ending!

Reina also flies way off on her own to go killing, and 20x2 on a high SPD enemy Samurai tells you all you need to know about how good she is at deleting.

She's a Kinshi Knight, the side promote for Pegs, which get bows to go with their lances. A flier with bows is terrifying.

Apparently they're based off a kite that landed on first Japanese emperor's bow after defeating his mortal foe. Kinshi in this case directly translates to "Golden Kite".

Also, Orochi doesn't end up moving, thankfully. She's only level 7 so she'd struggle a bit here.

Back to our turn, Corndog flies over to edgy ninja man to finally add him to our team.

Music: Guest of Light

CORNDOG: Saizo, are you all right?

SAIZO: Corndog? What are you doing here?!

CORNDOG: We came to help you. That was your smoke signal we saw, right?

SAIZO: It was, but... That wasn't a distress signal!

CORNDOG: Yes, I know. Kaze told us it was meant as a warning. But there is no way I'd just abandon you to the enemy. To me, you're a valuable ally.

I mean, irregardless of "recruit everyone" being cutscene Corndog's default motivation, this isn't a bad strategy. I mean, it could've backfired, but there's a decent chance you at least earn a bit of favor back with Hoshido itself.

SAIZO: You'd knowingly risk yourself just to help us?

SAIZO: Hrmph. Very well- —you've beaten me. No traitor would behave as you have. Lady Sakura must have been right about your motivations. Let us fight together.

CORNDOG: I won't let you down, Saizo. Thank you for joining us!

In the end, saving his bacon is all we had to do to convince him.

SAIZO: There is no time to waste. One of our allies, a ninja named Kagero, is being held captive.

SAIZO: She was supposed to locate Lord Ryoma and return to us. We have to save her.

CORNDOG: We'll do everything we can to help.

SAIZO: Thank you. I'll let my allies know that we will be fighting together.

And so Saizo hits up the ninja phone and both Orochi and Reina immediately become our units too.

Now with that all done, there's not a lot of big strategy to talk about. All the enemies are in stationary pockets and we easily outmatch them.

Also Sakura hits 15 with MAG, SPD, LCK. Decent enough.

Kaze cleans up that leftover ninja that attacked him for level 10, netting a quite nice level.

STR, SKL, SPD, RES

Now at level 10, he can Heart Seal into Samurai, as well as getting Poison Strike which deals 20% Max HP damage to the enemy after every combat.

If the ninjas here had this, they'd be an actual threat, maybe.

These two really are the stylish pose squad now. The usual reason for pairing Mozu and Oboro is so that they can be BFFs and Mozu friendship seals into Spear Fighter.

OBORO: Is that all you got?

Oboro double twirls into a finisher.

vlc could you please

i mean it's my fault for insisting on recording this game losslessly only to convert it to hot jpegs later, but still

it's only a 45 GB recording, what's your deal

Down south, Operation Get Orochi EXP commences with Reina's backup.

Saizo has moved off to pair with Gunter and be the grumpy grouch pals. Despite the weight of his Steel Shuriken, he's got enough SPD to be safe from the prepromote ninjas even.

Rinkah takes the EXP from Orochi for no other reason than support points, probably.

The eventual strategy is to send Mozu, Oboro, Hana, Sakura to clean up the left side of the map while the others finish up the right. Oh, and I guess Kaze's there too in the gal pal deathball.

Right side, Subaki cleans up a Master Ninja. He's got a javelin out here as he's both not really in danger of being hurt and I wanted to retaliate against an incoming Diviner.

Jakob doesn't have a javelin though so it doesn't matter. They'll go for him anyways.

The prepromotes are worth good experience at least, and Subaki gets a passable level for him.

HP, MAG, SPD. It's really the SPD that makes it any good.

Oboro could've crit here and messed this up (my fault for leaving her with the Killer Lance) but she didn't. Nice work!

is what i would say if it wasn't already lethal

Mozu gets STR, SKL, SPD, DEF

Good level, would like some HP at some point, but Mozu's still real good.

She also learns Skill+2 as her first Archer skill. It really is a skill of all time.

That SPD point + the Speed Tonic means she also doubles the ninjas on this map now. Unnecessary, but for some reason I expected a bit more opposition from this ninja hell. I wouldn't have given her the tonic otherwise.

Oboro taps this Oni with a javelin + Mozu backup for supports. Spear Fighter's Seal Defense just tanks this guy and Hana easily sweeps.

All I can think of is getting Seal Def on a unit with shurikens/knives. Just obliterate their DEF stat. Ninja or Maid Oboro?

This screenshot is here just to show that Dual Katana we got a while back is wicked looking- practically a polearm instead of a sword. Given it acts like a lance in terms of the triangle, I guess it makes sense.

And yes, I used it to fight a club user. We live life dangerously here.

I know this enemy is just a flimsy caster, but drat, Tacomeat, this is just with an Iron Yumi.

Anyways, back to clearing bamboo traps with you, Subaki's got thiis.

Saizo positions to nab some more EXP on his own, Gunter ready on the pair-up with a full guard meter in case things somehow go south.

Unnecessary levels of safety, but it just goes to show how little a threat this map is on this difficulty.

On the left, Hana positions to draw aggro, while over here Corndog sits in range of this side's second to last Master Ninja.

tink

biff

Gunter gets STR AND DEF

Epic level, good stuff

He learns the first of his merc tree skills, Good Fortune. It gives a LCK% chance to restore 20% HP at the start of the player turn. Next up is Strong Riposte and then he gets Sol. He'll be a real powerhouse then, I'm sure.

Saizo cleans up his EXP popcorn and gets a promising first level.

STR, SPD, LCK, and DEF

(he also gets Poison Strike as this is level 10)

Tacomeat shoots exactly 1 arrow, that had a 10% chance of being a 60 damage crit. Luckily works out and this gets the pittance of support points I was looking for.

Azura dances for Subaki and gets a meager level 16. SKL and DEF.

I'll take the DEF. Her HP means she'll never take more than 1 hit, but with her high SPD that should be okay.

Rinkah goes over bops the lone shrine maiden once. Aside from support building, this is just to draw in the last Master Ninja from up in the corner near the boss.

This is so Orochi can get a big EXP injection from taking the Master Ninja we weakened with Tacomeat.

The hit chances weren't great here, really, but I had the Subaki/Jakob cleaner crew ready if it failed.

It works and Orochi jumps 69 EXP. Nice.

Off on the left in the gal squad, I weaken in the wrong order. Mozu needs EXP the least on this side. Ah well.

Little bit of unit trading lets me give it to Hana instead.

Bait taken (Rinkah takes no damage). There's an archer hiding up in the very corner I'll weed out before I punch the boss's face in.

Rinkah bonks the guy for damage. He's already been hit with Seal RES for engaging her in the first place, so Orochi can maybe pick this one up too.

I'm 1 point of damage off having Reina help clean up. In theory I could just do this and dance with Azura, but I don't have a staff user on this side and it's insurance if Orochi misses.

Subaki hands over the Iron Naginata +1 he uses and that's enough to get that last point of damage we need.

got em

OROCHI: Wish I had gotten more from that.

yeah same

she levels for just MAG

Not a good start, but she's got a few levels to go yet.

Azura dances and we try out Orochi's Capture skill on that enemy Shrine Maiden we bonked.

Go, pokeball!

Mokushujin was captured.

Capture does an attack with no support, and if it kills, we capture the unit instead. From here, they get sent to the prison we made.

For the most part, this only exists to collect a few unique minibosses or exceptional units, and is otherwise just a curiosity.

Out back on the left, the truly last Master Ninja generic naruto runs to his doom at the hands of Mozu.

This gets Oboro her first level from chip support and it's a level of just SKL. 1 point of SKL.

drat, that's nearly just an empty level. We missed a bunch of coin flips there.

That hurts, but her bases are decent, so it's not the end of the world.

Hana makes proper use of the Dual Katana this time and nets her 11th level, and it's a decent one.

STR, SKL, SPD, and RES.

Oboro cleans up following that to net a nice 2/3rds of a level.

Back on the right, Subaki flies Saizo into the little treasure room, just ignoring the door. The chest has a Master Seal.

Reina flies Orochi up into the corner to corner the archer.

Rinkah deletes the healer so she doesn't get in Orochi's way. If the festal she's carrying wasn't a dropped item, I'd have let her stay and ground some EXP and weapon skill off the cornered archer for a couple of turns.

For some reason, Smug Snake here opts to attack Tacomeat. Your death wish, mate.

Music: Rage in the Light

KOTARO: You stand in my way to becoming king of Mokushu!

KOTARO: I'll prove my right to rule by wiping you out!

Glad it wasn't a crit, but it still would've been funny if it was.

Orochi cleans up the archer for some parting EXP on enemy turn...

Rinkah weakens Kotaro to 1 HP on our turn and I contemplate giving it to Orochi...

But I give it to Corndog. It only feels right she barely fights anything but the enemy leader.

One nasty uppercut later...

KOTARO: This...this can't be!

KOTARO: I'm going to be king...of Mokushu...

And Corndog hits level 16. STR, MAG, SKL, SPD! Good level.

She also learns Strength +2 from Wyvern Rider because it's not like she's already stronk enough.

Kotaro drops a Steel Shuriken. Neat, I guess.

And now it's just left for the girl's night out + kaze murderball to take out the last enemy.

Sakura hits 16 with an alright level of HP, MAG, and LCK.

After dragging it out a turn, the final blow goes to Oboro.

rip me, 3 EXP off a level

Map done. Believe it or not, it was only 9 turns and I still glossed over a lot.

That may be it for the map, but for the first time in a long time, we've got some missable dialogue to show off.

First up, death quotes.

SAIZO DIES posted:

SAIZO: I cannot afford to die here, not when Lord Ryoma still needs me... I must retreat for now.

(Saizo gets the retreat-ment because he's needed for the next scene exactly.)

OROCHI DIES posted:

OROCHI: Kagero, I'm so sorry... I guess...I'll see Lady Mikoto first.

REINA DIES posted:

REINA: How...unfortunate... At least I'll finally...know what they've all seen...

Following that, we've got a unique entry and victory dialogue for Saizo.

SAIZO FIGHTS KOTARO posted:

SAIZO: Kotaro of Mokushu...you will answer to me.

KOTARO: I answer to no one. Who are you to suggest otherwise?

SAIZO: I am Saizo the Fifth, servant to the Hoshidan royal family.

KOTARO: Saizo...that's familiar. I believe I've murdered others of your pitiful lineage.

SAIZO: You—! How dare you. My father was an honorable man.

KOTARO: Honorable? Maybe. Weak? Definitely.

KOTARO: That balding old fool had the audacity to lecture ME! So, naturally...I put an end to his life.

SAIZO: I knew you were the one responsible for his death. Coward!

KOTARO: Bwahaha! Isn't this a stroke of luck? To fell both father and son with the same blade... How poetic!

SAIZO: I'm about to rewrite your poem...

KOTARO: Please. If you're anything like your father, you won't land a single blow.

And, if Saizo gets the final blow...

SAIZO BEATS KOTARO posted:

SAIZO: How's that? Did I land a single blow?

KOTARO: Ugh... *cough* *cough* *gurgle*

SAIZO: Fitting. Father, you are avenged.

All of this gives some otherwise untold backstory for Saizo. In theory, you can trigger the victory dialogue without him landing a single blow if he misses and an offensive pair-up partner finishes on the follow up. I'm not going to test that though.

Anyways, that's all for this time, the unit analysis comes next time when Kagero joins. Spoilers, she joins. They're just dumping units onto us now and will continue to do so.

This roster will be very oversized even before we add in the 2nd gen units.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Yup that was a map. Per usual the main issue is getting to the recruitables before they get themselves killed. Also Oboro in a maid dress sounds hilarious so we have to partner her with Felicia now.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Also Oboro in a maid dress sounds hilarious so we have to partner her with Felicia now.

Worth noting we'll also have a new maid very soon. Very, very soon. :ssh:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 28: Supports in the Spy Land (Chapter 11- Mutual Enemies, Part C)

Last time we outmatched a bunch of ninjas and their sub-par traps. Also we maybe halfway stole vengeance from Saizo.

Ah, well. He'll get over it. Time to recruit one more ninja and finally be nearly done with Abridged Birthright.

Music: Pale Star

CORNDOG: All right, we've taken care of the enemy. Where is Kagero?

SAKURA: I've found her, Corndog! Over here!

And so we fade to black already. This is here because there's an alternate version of this cutscene if you didn't recruit Saizo on the map.

It's basically the same, just with the recruit lines we already saw spliced in.

*And so Corndog and the Hoshidan siblings find Kagero in a torch-lit, but still shadowy part of the forest.*

KAGERO: Lady Corndog?! What are you doing here?

KAGERO: Last I had heard, you'd betrayed Lord Ryoma and fled the battlefield.

I don't believe we've ever met, but being a ninja, I'll presume she'd watched us from the shadows at some point and knows us from that.

Then again, the pink hair + silly armor is pretty stand-out anyways.

SAKURA: No, that was a misunderstanding. She hasn't betrayed anyone.

SAKURA: If you need proof... Well, I'm traveling with her! So is Takumi!

KAGERO: I see. Lady Corndog, I ask for your forgiveness.

CORNDOG: No, don't worry about it, Kagero. I'm just glad you're safe.

It's fine, we only simultaneously angered two countries with a functional if double-edged means of gaining their attention. No biggie. Oh and Fort Jinya.

*Saizo dashes in.*

SAIZO: Kagero, are you injured?

KAGERO: Saizo, you're here as well? Why is everyone in Mokushu?

Mokushu's just the hot new place to hang, didn't you hear?

SAIZO: Isn't it obvious? We came to save you.

KAGERO: Then I am indebted to all of you. The nature of my job requires that I be prepared to give my life every day.

KAGERO: ...Thank you for making sure today wasn't that day.

Kagero has a strong dedication to her work and Ryoma, similarly to Saizo, but is less... explosive about it.

Oh, and she and Saizo are exes.

Now time for relevant plot.

KAGERO: Now I can pass along the message that Lord Ryoma gave me.

SAIZO: So you do know where our lord is.

KAGERO: Yes. When I left him, Lord Ryoma was on his way to Cheve, near the Nohrian border.

SAIZO: Cheve?!

KAGERO: Correct. The area is currently fighting against Nohrian forces. Apparently, the people could no longer take Nohrian oppression and have revolted.

KAGERO: It is Lord Ryoma's objective to befriend the rebels and use them to cross into Nohr.

This is the same plan Ryoma goes for in Birthright... although he might now have a smaller army thanks to our shenanigans. He's probably fine though.

SAIZO: Hrmph. Our lord has not lost his reckless habits, I see.

SAIZO: We must locate him before anything happens.

TAKUMI: Corndog, let's head to the port. We'll need a boat in order to reach Cheve.

CORNDOG: All right. We'd better hurry. We're going to need Ryoma's help.

CORNDOG: I don't know why, but I think he may know about the dragon Archduke Izana spoke of.

Yes, our reason for finding him is that we have just a gut feeling he knows what dragon we're looking for. Azura is kind of the authority on dragons here and she doesn't know. Unless there's some info on the winged lizards given only to the throne successor, why can't any of the other Hoshidan siblings tell us? Would they not at least know if Ryoma might know something?

Meh, I should know better than to try and correct the laces on this shoestring plot. It's a safe bet that the writers had less time to write it than I have to examine it. There's gotta be something better to do.

Oh, right, base stuff and supports!

Music: Watery Music Box

Yeah, no joke, that was all for the ending there.

We haven't had a good chance to see Corndog's new style, mostly due to almost always being on a big flappy dragon, so here's a better look.

We have indeed joined the chest window crew. Whether or not this is better than our footless plate pajamas is up to you.

In other news, Felicia reveals her favorite food is lettuce. Whether this is because something she can actually taste or just because it's an Ice Tribe thing, one thing is clear:

felicia those are cabbages not lettuce

Down in the arena, Mozu gains assistance from... Azura? I guess they do have a support with one another.

I bet my only piece of wheat on her. I believe in you, Mozu.

The game does match her up against a Dark Mage, and even if her RES is half her DEF, I trust she's got this.

Yep, she's fine even if she didn't dodge every attack thrown her way.

ded

The result is a stylish double hair flip in the waiting room.

(Mozu is facing away because that's just what archers do in their victory pose.)

Of more note is that prison we built.

SUBAKI: No matter the task, I will carry it out with grace and poise. Even this.

At the prison we're given the option of bribing, persuading, or releasing any captives.

Bribing takes a lot of materials I don't have, so we opt to persuade instead. It's free, but random and maybe based on the character, I think?

The captives themselves have random names if they weren't already a unique capturable unit.

So off you go, perfect boy, go dazzle the shrine maiden we kidnapped and who also probably has head trauma after taking a big bonk from Rinkah.

*He walks off into the inner prison, and we only hear his voice lines.*

SUBAKI: Let's get started!

SUBAKI: ...

SUBAKI: Perfect. Yes, perfect!

It worked! Akane joined your group!

AKANE: Ugh, finally! Free at last.

AKANE: You could've just asked first, you know.

CORNDOG: You were an enemy. We did what we had to do.

AKANE: If you say so, "leader"!

AKANE: (*sigh* What part of non-combatant cowering in a corner says "enemy"? The concussion and cage treatment really wasn't necessary...)

*She does a cheer and then bails.*

SUBAKI: Bringing those from an unjust cause back to the light is the least of my many talents.

AKANE: (I was going to agree from the start, but it took you forever to shut up long enough for me to get a word in...)

AKANE: Ahaha... I'll just go make myself useful?

With that, Akane the generic has joined. She has the same meh stats she had on the map, and also has no supports.

So, um. Yeah.

Yo, we found Gunter's stash!

(It's a 1 use 25 HP vulnerary)

Lilith gets a disappointing single stat level: HP.

I guess with the infrequency of HP growths in this game, I can't complain that much.

tell me where you're keeping the money

In the terms of new building stuff, we can either upgrade Lilith's shrine or we can build the Einherjar Shop. The latter is mostly getting units via 3DS SpotPass so we'll ignore it for now.

Instead, I build the Lottery Shop.

We get access to both lotteries but can only do one a day because Revelation.

These just get you a random material or weapon. That's about it! Still good as we won't really have access to the other materials unless we do this.

Hell yeah got a daikon radish :woop:

let's go :toot:

Ok, I'll stop stalling with content, here's the supports. We got a lot of them. Most aren't mod content yet until the S happens, but we got some.

The real bulk of the new stuff will open up after next chapter when we finally have some of those pairings exclusive to only Revelation.

Corndog x Felicia A-

This happened just because an offscreen room invitation was enough to finally push those support points up. Everything up to this point has been vanilla, but the S support is of course mod content if we decide to see it.

In this support, Felicia turns into a butterfly and becomes Super Felicia.

Corndog x Rinkah B-

In which we learn that the Flame Tribe is so reclusive because drat tourists won't stop putting out their fire.

Of course, the weekly face painting party is still on schedule and unaffected.

Gunter x Saizo C- [USSM]

There isn't actually a written support here, alas. Does go to S rank at least.

Hana x Sakura B-

In which we learn that Sakura had to do a lot of work to get her best friend in position as retainer, and then she also suddenly ducks out of the conversation.

I would think the princess's best friend who's proven to be very hard working, committed, and aspirational would probably be the best pick to begin with. I suppose you can blame it on ineffectual courtroom politics.

Although, maybe it was a matter of wanting a retainer more loyal to them than the person they serve. Could be that too.

Mozu x Oboro C-

Usually a common combination for giving Mozu the Spear Fighter class via the A+ support. Although the menu still says A+, it should probably still result in them getting the S support instead, I think. Maybe.

We can assume from this conversation that Mozu's new look was retroactively created by Oboro.

Orochi x Reina C- [USSM]

In which one old friend confronts another about her increasingly :stare: habits. The most serious support of the update, really.

And before we leave, here's our unit evaluations.

---------------------------NEW UNITS----------------------------

Saizo, Red Ninja
"A blunt Hoshidan ninja and one of Ryoma's retainers. Has a twin brother, Kaze."

Reclass Options: Samurai

Personal Skill- Pyrotechnics:
When user triggers the battle at under half HP, the user and enemies within a 2 tile radius have their HP reduced by 20%

40 ____50 ____45 ____60 ____30 ____55 ___45 _____10
05 ____05 ____00 ____20 ____20 ____00 ___05 _____15

Saizo's growths are somewhat expected given his existence as the red christmas cav, but it ends up working out pretty alright for his class choice. Almost solidly 50% across the whole board excepting RES, it solidifies his position as the kinda all-rounder ninja.

I could see Pyrotechnics mixing with Poison Strike to chunk lots of HP off of enemies, but to me it still has questionable application on a frail unit type like the Ninja.

Character-wise, we've all born witness to how he is thus far. Very loyal but at the same time, very aggressive in doing so- A foil to both his brother and his ex, who are more level headed.

Orochi, Playful Diviner
"A Hoshidan noble and one of Mikoto's retainers. A mischievous merrymaker."

Reclass Options: Apothecary

Personal Skill- Capture:
When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison.

35 ____05 ____65 ____50 ____15 ____35 ___25 _____45
00 ____05 ____15 ____10 ____15 ____05 ___00 _____15

Orochi is meant to be the slower but harder hitting representative for the Diviner class, an interesting inversion of that aspect usually being given to the dudes. However, she also has about 40 less total growth value than Hayato (275 vs 315), so, um... it's really unfortunate. Well, she's probably gonna get MAG every level at least.

Makes me wonder if a better future for her lies in a class with better base speed bonuses and a MAG weapon. Then again, a good Malevolent Text or Mjolnir hit and that might be all she needs to wipe someone off the map.

Character-wise, she's meant to be fun and playing tricks on people with divination readings, but all we've seen so far of her so far is her serious side. Although that's also from a mod support.

Reina, Vicious Kinshi Knight
"One of Mikoto's retainers. A gentle soul, she nonetheless fights savagely."

Reclass Options: Sky Knight, Diviner, Ninja

Personal Skill- Morbid Celebration:
When user triggers the battle, recover 20% HP after defeating the enemy.

40 ____45 ____05 ____20 ____45 ____10 ___20 _____10
00 ____05 ____00 ____15 ____15 ____15 ___00 _____15

Reina's growths aren't great, but her base stats are pretty alright for a pre-promote. Whereas Gunter will inevitably struggle to keep up, Reina has an easier time of it. She serves the purpose of being a deletion machine quite well at this point in the game regardless- almost too well.

Her personal skill is just kind of a more meh Lifetaker, especially since it seems you'll still want her for weakening duties more than anything else. I can imagine it has its uses though, don't get me wrong.

Character-wise, she's generally calm and polite, excepting her already apparent bloodthirst. She's evidently got a reason to be like this, and what that is, we shall learn of in time.

Kagero, Dedicated Ninja
"Ryoma's retainer from a long line of royal servants. Prepared to die for her liege."

Reclass Options: Diviner

Personal Skill- Shuriken Mastery:
When user receives damage from a Dagger attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Dagger’s stat reduction effect.

30 ____65 ____00 ____20 ____50 ____30 ___25 _____40
05 ____05 ____00 ____20 ____20 ____00 ___05 _____15

Kagero's growths follow the same idea as Hana's: glass cannon. She however comes with slightly better RES at the cost of no investment in MAG at all. Still, 70% STR and SPD is nothing to laugh at. She has the potential to be really strong and fast, but maybe not the most accurate. Probably. Nothing is guaranteed in the face of RNG.

Her secondary class is Diviner, and is probably a reference to her long-time friendship with Orochi, similarly to Reina having it. It's... not a great pick for her, honestly. Her skill is oddly situational, making her into the Anti-Maid, I guess. Still probably better in a more defensive class but I'll take it.

Character-wise, all I know is she's dedicated to her work, but in less drastic ways than Saizo.

Akane, Unfortunate Shrine Maiden
"A shrine maiden taken by force from Mokushu as an example in using the prison."

Reclass Options: None

Personal Skill- Outside the Plot:
Unaffected by Fates's plot and the highly peculiar events that now transpire within this world.

00 ____05 ____10 ____50 ____45 ____35 ___45 _____20

Units recruited from the prison don't have personal growth rates unless they're a named miniboss from a paralogue, and even then, not always. As result, their stats are usually bad unless they're one of a rare few enemy units with exceptional potential.

At the very least Akane can heal without really needing stats, though we'll be drowning in units enough to not need more healers. As she has no supports, she probably won't get used unless for some reason you vote for her.

Akane came from the peaceful town of Unnamed from the Indistinct province of the underdeveloped Mokushu, where little happened. She resents the situation she finds herself in, being both impressed into the Mokushu miltary before being captured and forced into this strange warband not long after.

To her, the one thing more concerning than the military's overwhelming reverence for their leader, is the leader herself. This "Corndog" frequently wanders aimlessly with a blank stare, muttering to some unseen audience about "support pairings", "player turns" and "growths rates". Nobody else seems to notice this, and honestly she just wants to get back home alive. She lies low, hoping to not get dragged into any more of this than she already is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

OK, now we have to deploy her every map

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Ah yes the Capture system in this game, never could figure out what the exact point of it was, other than getting extra units for a Classic run maybe?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Greenking77 posted:

Ah yes the Capture system in this game, never could figure out what the exact point of it was, other than getting extra units for a Classic run maybe?

Some generics have cool portraits. Also on harder difficulties on Conquest there's a generic with 4 Rally skills learned on one chapter. He's called Rallyman by the fandom.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Reina is cool and deserves to be more than a Corrinsexual in the default games

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Reina is cool and deserves to be more than a Corrinsexual in the default games

Agreed. I don't want to spoil mod content, but someone posting the supports on youtube posted a Reina/Gunter one that I thought was inspired and super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Greenking77 posted:

That was basically the stated reason. If you somehow gently caress up so badly you lose all your good units. But considering all the extra effort for getting generics, it's hard to imagine that if you're in need of units that badly you've been good enough to capture people.

I dunno. Fates in general was even more 'throw all the poo poo at the wall, even if none of it sticks' than awakening, but the latter game was better received.