Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who are the colonial powers of this timeline, and how might they be crushed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

zealouscub posted:

What would it take to dismantle the Sacred Empire? Is that feasible.
Anatolian Napoleon, I should think

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I would like to know how my Haudenosaunee are doing

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'd like to know how's the situation in what we know as South America

Also, how's the Carantanian-Anatolian relationship

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
On second thought, I won't do a formal state of the world post. I'll answer questions directly across multiple posts. I admit I neglected discussion of the mechanical aspects of EU4 so feel free to ask about those too.

Tulip posted:

It's not so much a thing from the game as from your head but I'd love to see the Anatolian Republic's philosophy and foreign policy approach spelled out.

The Anatolian Republic is, without dispute, the greatest power in the region and one of the world's great powers. Its centers of learning are unparalleled, its cities and farms among the most prosperous any have ever seen.

(Mechanically, it enjoys the benefits of a being a great power with many provinces and high income, multiple alliances, and a strong, disciplined, and well-led military.)

Its diplomatic alliances may be described with a mixture of republican fervor and political pragmatism - the Anatolian Republic maintains a military alliance with the distant Muisca Conferation - maybe out of affinity between republics, maybe because they are both suspicious of the theocratic colonial power of the Tsalagi.

It has not engaged in more extensive wars of territorial conquest with its immediate neighbors, only vassalizing the remnants of the once-mighty Timurids.

The Anatolian Republic enjoys the benefits of trade, a strong and disciplined army, and the rich legacy of the past.

The head of state, Mr. Tefere Assefa Abateid, has won every election he ran in, for the thirty-two years since the foundation of the republic. Sure, some have voiced concerns about the expansions of executive power, but their elections are frequent! Perhaps it simply is that he has become so accomplished in the art and science of winning elections that competing factions no longer wish to compete.

Soup du Jour posted:

Can you highlight what’s going on in OTL Russia because jesus christ

The borders of this part of the world, to the extent that they can be called 'borders' at all, have changed almost constantly since the fall of the Sultanate of Vladimir in the 15th century. After a failed attempt at conquest by the Fylkirate of Scandinavia centuries earlier, only a few political entities have even come close to regional hegemony.

Of these, the Khazars are of note. This group has converted to Orthodox Christianity - that is, the one that didn't fall headlong into the anthropophagic heresy.

Also of interest are the Karaites of Murom,

and the Rabbinic Jews of Cyprus.

Additionally, the last remnants of the long-exiled Byzantine Empire have again claimed their independence, though any hope of their long-term survival is distant, let alone any recovery of the rest of the Empire's old territories.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'd love more details on what is going on with the British Isle.

Also, are the Khazars still kicking?

Khazar question answered above!

The British Isles are split between feuding groups, as they have been for centuries. To the south, Tlaxcala retains its hold on the southern ports and the atoyatl Thames.

Also of note is the Duchy of Galloway, led by Duchess Gerđr II, which is fighting a war against Abenaki settlements.

Xelkelvos posted:

Well we definitely need to know how the Pirate Confederacy of So in the OTL Ryukyus are doing. Probably as part fo a bigger piece on wtf it going on with Japan and the rest of East Asia.

My label might have given the wrong impression. The Pirate Confederacy of So has their capital at Kagoshima, in the Satsuma peninsula in Kyushu.

The Taira, previous hegemons over all of Japan, have lost their grip on power completely by the late 1740s; the So have taken their place.

So dominion over the Japanese archipelago is not absolute. The Tsutsui still control Kyoto, and are allied with the Ainu Republic. The Utsunomiya clan had fought against the So, but lost much of their holdings by the late 1740s.

If there is any power that could be said to have gained over the past century, it is Korea. They retain their territories in the north, and have cultivated a series of alliances with the Chahar Mongols and the Tibetans, and the Nivkh are loyal tributaries. In a final humiliation, the branch of the Purgyals that broke away in the 1400s from the rule of Lasya the Holy are now vassals to the Koreans, and cling only to some patches of land in Hebei and Shandong.

The communal monastics of Ikko-Ikki still retain the very western tip of Honshu, as well as other fortified outposts all over the world. They profess to follow the same woman who founded the movement in the 1400s, who has gained a divine status among her followers.

(Mechanically, this is obviously a bug. No idea where it came from, too entertaining to remove. Same with the Gyalyums spawning everywhere since the 1500s.)

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, what's going on with that part of the Aleutians that isn't owned by the Salish.

That's the Haida. The Salish took over everything else.

Xelkelvos posted:

The bit of a clusterfuck in OTL New England might be work taking a look at as well though probably inconsequential to us and our allies.

Most of the ports are owned by the Tsalagi, and the Chesapeake Bay port in particular, is a great hub of commerce; far outstripping the holdings on Manaháhtaan to the north.

Between the expansionist Tsalagi to the south,

and the growing Nakota alliance to the north,

The Pequot still persist, under the administration of the kindly King Pessicus,

and the Haudenosaunee Confederation, at this point one of the world's longest-lived republics. Although the Nakota have forced some modest territorial concessions, the Confederation still retains much of its territory, and continues to enjoy the benefits of a strong economy and competent leadership.

The Abenaki, on the other hand, are preoccupied with a vicious colonial war with their holdings in the east. After five years of warfare, it is possible they may lose their colonial holdings completely.

Xelkelvos posted:

The deceptively large swaths in North Asia are probably something to look at too though it may not be worth much if we were to possess it.

Further north, the territory here is broadly split between the Chahar and Khalkha Mongols, those areas directly under Korean administration, some isolated and impoverished settlements established by the Taira along the Ob river, and the Xia kingdom, which took its name from the ancient Tangut kingdom. Xia got its start in the 1440s in the collapse of the old Tibetan Empire, but since has migrated further north after a series of conflicts with the Mongols, and eventually seizing former Taira lands.

habeasdorkus posted:

Wait, by "isolated Tiara settlements" in Siberia does that mean like from the Japanese Isles Taira?

Exactly right. That's all that's left.

Kassad posted:

I'm curious about the Tangut state in Siberia.

Answered above, although there is a substantial Han Chinese and Japanese population - well, relatively speaking - as a result of Taira trading posts and disconnected holdings.

Alikchi posted:

Love to hear how Atjunta's doing. And Maguindanao.

Atjuntja is not doing so well - the Majapahit have been uncommonly aggressive to all of their neighbors. Atjuntja remains the last polity on the continent to retain its independence, although it is currently facing internal revolts.

The Kingdom of Maguindanao controls territory stretching from Tondo in the north - where it borders the So pirate confederacy - to Lahad Datu in northern Borneo.

Alikchi posted:

What's the religious/development situation like, in particular?

I can't take the map screenshots because I'm running this off of 1.29. Here is the ingame ledger to start off with, though I can take screenshots of regions if you meant those instead.

THE MOST WIDELY SPREAD FAITHS: 1750

PROVINCIAL DEVELOPMENT: 1750

zealouscub posted:

For world update the usual not-California and Japan from me. Does that pink mean Japan's gone to pirates? Please tell me they have the Pirate Republic government type.

That is correct - they are a Pirate Confederacy.

This part of western Cemanahuac is largely as it was 50 years ago, with some noticeable changes.

The great empire, Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni, is currently defending itself from a war started by Tlaxcala in 1749. It is too early to tell how the war may go, but the Purepecha have the advantage in wealth and the size of the army.

To their north, the Niukonska have had a peaceful decade. The 1730s saw the loss of some of their northern territory to Nakota aggression, the past few years have seem some sorely needed peace and recovery.

The Diné have also enjoyed some peaceful years.

The Akimel O'odham have also had a good half-century so far. Although nearly surrounded by the Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni, it helps to have strong alliances preventing any further encroachment.

Finally, the multinational Hisatsinom republic has also made it through the great Niukonska-Nakota War relatively unscathed.

zealouscub posted:

What would it take to dismantle the Sacred Empire? Is that feasible.
It is possible, although I wonder how feasible. Mechanically, it would involve taking all of the capitals of the remaining electors.

The seven electors, from left to right, are Andhra (capital: Warangal), Punjab (Karor), Delhi (Panipat), Bengal (Sonpur), Rajpuana (Gird), Tamilakam (Thanjavur), and Keladi (Honnavara), as well as the capital of the current emperor Surat (... Surat).

Or barring that some (waves hands around vaguely) narrative event, should the empire be destroyed by any means necessary.

habeasdorkus posted:

Who are the colonial powers of this timeline, and how might they be crushed?

Fantastic question. Love the energy of this one. I'm not counting the big contiguous empires, only those tags with more than two provinces outside of the home continent:

CURRENT COLONIAL POWERS:
The Celestial Tibetan Empire (Gilbert Islands, Guam)
The Anatolian Republic (Guinea, Kongo, Hainan, Gaizhou)
Ethiopian Empire (Shiuhing, Butuan, Ha Tinh, Cape Colony)
Egypt (Andong, Berau, the Cocos Islands, the Maldives)
Tsalagihi Ayeli (the former territory of Hualanitstlan a.k.a. Nahua-Norse France, and Mellerstafjall a.k.a Norse Asturias, the Scottish Highlands, Ouidah, Luanda)
Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni (Itarhia, the Laina River colony)
Cocomes (western Irland)
Pequot (parts of old Jorvik)
Tlaxcala (southern Anglatlalpan)
Abenaki (Iceland, Cumbria, Scottish Lowlands)
The Muisca Confederacy (Niger Delta)
Gujarat (Eastern Madagascar)

FORMER COLONIAL POWERS:
Excan Tayatolhan (near total collapse, a rump state retains portions of western Cuba and Curacao)
Ayiti (near total loss of home islands, became a republic-in-exile)
Taira (totally collapsed, now just has bits of Siberia)
Malian Mansate (Birayba declared independence and is now a republic)

So at least from this timeline, a massive uprising of the colonized peoples in question, and/or a military thread to the metropole, ideally combined with some domesic instability or economic collapse. Or barring that kill the emperors and topple their thrones.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I would like to know how my Haudenosaunee are doing

See above - the confederation is alive and well.

Pacho posted:

I'd like to know how's the situation in what we know as South America

The borders of this continent, though largely stable, have not been without some change.

The Muisca Confederation has thrown its lot in with Tlaxcala in an attempt to undermine the Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni; the outcome of that war remains to be seen.

To their south, the Chachapoya have retained many of the greatest cities of the old Tawantinsuyu, and finally settled the Charapa or Tortoise Islands in the 1730s.

While the Aymara state of Charcas retains much of the south, though it has not been easy - a Mapuche rebellion had kept them occupied throughout the 1740s.

To the east, the Tupinamba kingdom, still optimistic after its wars of conquest against the Potiguara,

and the breakaway republic of Biarayba, free of Malian overlordship,

are now engaged in a common defense against a Ge war of aggression.

Pacho posted:

Also, how's the Carantanian-Anatolian relationship

The Bogomilist realm of Carantania and the Anatolian Republic are not exactly friends, but they are in a kind of detente at the moment. The Carantanians have been engaged in a series of holy wars against the Norse to the north, and occasionally the colonizers to the west. It benefits them both to keep their rivalry to a slow burn.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

quote:

In a final humiliation, the branch of the Purgyals that broke away in the 1400s from the rule of Lasya the Holy are now vassals to the Koreans, and cling only to some patches of land in Hebei and Shandong

Well that cannot stand.

We should be there also humiliating that misbegotten branch.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Is that Ulster as in formerly-Irish Ulster occupying the Baltic coast/OTL Finland?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm most interested in Wu and its ideology/stance, since it seems like our most important rival in China

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Akratic Method posted:

Is that Ulster as in formerly-Irish Ulster occupying the Baltic coast/OTL Finland?

Yes it is!

The Norse princely republic of Ulster still retains a bit of land in Irland proper around Dyflinn, but the old north of Ulster itself is currently occupied by the Abenaki, caught in a war with Galloway.

The republic after having lost much of its Irish territory due to colonial wars, has instead moved to the east, with surprising success after the retreat of the Scandinavian Empire. In the past five years, they have been engaged in wars with both their Irish neighbors, as well as Karelia, Skalvia, and Estonia.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think I'm most interested in Wu and its ideology/stance, since it seems like our most important rival in China

The Republic of Wu got its start in the 1720s, in the disastrous aftermath of Tibetan invasion.

The empress was deposed by a rebel general, Fu Lei, who instituted a republic founded on sortition, the devolution of power from the executive, and a landholders parliament.

Despite the difficult circumstances of its creation, the republic has done well for itself. Despite its diplomatic isolation and rampant piracy along the coasts, Wu has gained some territory from the remnants of the Jin Dynasty in the late 1730s and early 1740s - notably the great cities of Xuzhou and Qingzhou.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Could I get a look at what would be the southeastern US?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I really love these weird countries in exile that all end up in various parts of Russia. Kinda want it just become the graveyard of lost nations, all surviving as little bits of various countries that tried to colonize and then lost their metropoles.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Technowolf posted:

And the Midwest/Great Lakes, please.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
I haven't played EU4 in forever, but development is a thing right? Which nations are the most developed as things stand?

Also has anyone started building Manufactories or has coal been activated or started to be used?

And a last mechanical question, so since Tibet has the Celestial Empire government as I understand things, are we in danger of a Mingsplosion, er Tibetsplosion?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Technowolf posted:

This part of the world is the realm of so many giants - those with colonial empires, those with domain over the western steppe - and the last remnants of another dead empire.

The great theocratic empire of the Tsalagi is currently engaged in a war to annex once and for all the last remnants of the Nahua-Norse Hualanitstlan,

and secure its empire across the oceans, with the aim to succeed where others had failed. This is easily a return to form - the new priest-king hopes to continue the tradition of all of his predecessors for the last 140 years and expand the territory of his blessed domain.

The Niukonska are smarting after a brutal war with the Nakota in the 1730s, which saw the retreat of their northern frontier.

The Este Mvskokvlke, having been driven off the mainland in the 17th century, still retain a small group of islands off of the coast. They maintain cordial relations with-

the last fragment of the Triple Alliance, which once caused so much terror across three continents.

Moon Slayer posted:

And the Midwest/Great Lakes, please.

This northern part of the continent is in a dreadful place; on the malleable and contested frontier between two larger empires.

The Nakota have seen a dramatic expansion of their empire over the past fifty years - the annexation of the Niitsitapi, a frustrated war against the Haudenosaunee, and a greater war against the Niukonska.

The Shaawanwaki have remained as they have, in the strategic Miami and Ohio valleys.

The city state of Mississage has survived another war of Nakota aggression, as the great Niukonska-Nakota war concluded in 1746, although another may come soon.

The Oceti Sakowin have allied themselves with the Niukonska, though it is yet to be seen who will prevail in the contest.

zealouscub posted:

I haven't played EU4 in forever, but development is a thing right? Which nations are the most developed as things stand?

The Celestial Tibetan Empire had jumped from a distant 3rd to 1st place in total development upon the annexation of much of China.

Although the totals are highly balanced in favor of a few great empires, many individual kingdoms and republics have their own centers of trade, population, and production.

zealouscub posted:

Also has anyone started building Manufactories or has coal been activated or started to be used?

There are only three coal provinces in the world in 1750, and Tibet has two of them - the other is in Luoyang, held by the Shun Dynasty.

As for manufactory buildings, they are extremely numerous and to be found across most of the world. The Manufactory institution is found across most of the world, except for northern Russia and central Siberia.

zealouscub posted:

And a last mechanical question, so since Tibet has the Celestial Empire government as I understand things, are we in danger of a Mingsplosion, er Tibetsplosion?

We are at risk of all the disasters (through the disaster mechanic) that are available to the Emperor of China total, as well as the "Aspiration for Liberty" disaster.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kangxi posted:

We are at risk of all the disasters

:getin:

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020

Kangxi posted:

We are at risk of all the disasters (through the disaster mechanic) that are available to the Emperor of China total, as well as the "Aspiration for Liberty" disaster.

Oh my...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Roof of the World: We are at risk of all the disasters

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kangxi posted:

There are only three coal provinces in the world in 1750, and Tibet has two of them - the other is in Luoyang, held by the Shun Dynasty.

Well, I think we know where we went to turn our attentions next. :hmmyes:

quote:

We are going to leave a marvelous corpse. We shall deserve our fate.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 26, 2021

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 80: 1750 to 1756: The Mandate of Heaven

The following selection of primary sources is presented as an introduction to the summary events and historical background to the revolutionary period and the fall of the Celestial Tibetan Empire. While I cannot hope to cover all of the detail of these events, nor will I even attempt to address all of the historical interpretations and debates, I hope that this volume can at least introduce the general reader to the pageantry and tumult of this period. The translations of personal letters from ordinary citizens - some published in Muysc Cubun for the first time - may provide an additional perspective of the events of this period.
-Professor Tomagata Cundinamarca, Department of Modern History, Hunza Capital District University

Letter from Tsering Gompa Detsen, Minister of State in Lhasa, to his friend, Baron Tsering Thubthen:

I must be honest with you, and I hope you will tell of this to no one. I am sick to death of all these pompous ceremonies. Reciting so many petitions and declarations while the empress stays stock still like a statue. Awful business, really.

Today we had a bit of excitement, though - it seems the delegations from Hsipaw and Shan refused to bow and knock their foreheads to the ground. What does it mean, where representatives from such minor and insignificant states refuse our authority? Either a sign of our weakness, or theirs?

If it was just them it would be nothing. But the Majapahit are refusing our ships in their ports, and I think you'd know more about this. I have my opinions, but this is a matter for the Financial Office.

Well, give it a few years and they'll recognize who is in power soon enough.

We have a whole apparatus of state now, behind all these orders and ceremonies, and we have to adapt.

Gods forbid that some mob rule take root here like the Anatolians! They'd pop our heads off with silk sashes like all the rest.

From General Norwin Wangyal, to Governor He Yanrong in Chengdu:

I hate to boast, but I was right. This accursed war against Shun was a mistake.

At the very least, putting Dawa Torma in charge of the northern army of invasion was a mistake in judgment that will cost us dearly in material and the disposition of our army. Torma completely lost his head and through his own incompetence allowed the whole army to be surrounded and destroyed at a pass near Taozhou. He never was right in the head. Kept babbling on about his own invincibility...

Bad omens never lie.

But in the end, the might of the army won out - and many of the great and ancient cities of the east - Xi'an, Luoyang, and Kaifeng are ours.

Though, I suspect, with their population and long history of independence, it will take some effort to bring them under our administration.

It may be some time before things are calm again.

My understanding is that the central administration is making changes in policy to reflect changing circumstances - replacing local leaders and staffing every yamen with loyal officials. You won't have to worry about your position, my friend, though we may have to see a lot more change.

The better and more efficient the governance, the better.

From Han Dong-hyun, Diplomatic Representative from Korea:

|
The situation in court has grown quite complicated. The empress' niece, the young Pongza, has developed a disease of the lungs, and may not be expected to survive.

In the event of her death, the heir presumptive is in all likelihood the child Mangong Mangtsen, her younger brother. He is barely eight years old, and this presents a problem of succession with the empress being well over seventy and in poor health.

Additionally, the aristocracy, who have been asked to dampen their own legal rights and privileges, are now feeling emboldened to ask for the restoration of their ancestral rights, although the success of such a request is far from certain.

The empress' prince-consort, Bahamu, a Mongolian, has became a figure of some suspicion - nominally for his lack of interest in the rites of Tibet but more likely because he is too visibly different and more easily a figure of concern. The broadsheets have taken to caricaturing and ridiculing him, which does not help matters.

Nevertheless, I have some additional news which may be of some benefit - it is more likely that the navy will be engaged in a campaign to defeat the pirates to the east.

Respectfully submitted to His Majesty, in Hanseong, on the eve of the Chuseok Festival of the Gyeongo Year. [1750]

Pamphlet from a nun, using the pseudonym Ishwari of Kathmandu

And how many millions have gone to 'the national defense', of paying for brigands, thieves, and murderers that the empress calls an army?

And what have we gained for all of this taxation? Nothing! We are still plagued by bandits and raiders, even more than ever!

What is this safety? What is this security? It is the safety of the court to be hedonists and parasites, and of their security in squeezing us all to death!

How many more gardens and temples will be built for the empress' own benefit, and how many starving people could have been fed with the expenditure? Let me count it out for you...

Letter from the natural philosopher, Deng Xuanyin, to his wife: Yue Pan:

Another ridiculous wasteful war against some little kingdom. I won't even bother to explain the details.

I am most aggrieved to be separated from you again. As strange as it is to admit, I miss most discussing our long conversations into the night, and even that our experiments with the hot air and the balloon will be halted. I am sure we will be close to a breakthrough, and that we can use some material that has the necessary characteristics to succeed.

They are sending me off to lead some ridiculous patrol work out in the Tarim Basin, and I cannot understand why...

From Pongza Lobsang, a minor court official, to her brother:

I don't know what exactly what you're planning to do with all this, or even what you can do with what I tell you. But I still serve in the chambers of Her Majesty the Empress, and I can tell you what I know.

The Empress has been very tired these last few days. It seems almost that the life has gone out of her eyes. Today she had gathered up a group of landowners from Yunnan that were stubborn in not paying their taxes and she was demanding their payment.

They relented and did not revolt. But that may not last.

There is one last story -- I was not there to witness it, but I heard it happen. The empress had been having fitful nightmares over the last few nights. One evening she woke up and saw the devotional statues of past empresses and holy figures had been taken from their pedestals and moved between to her bed and they were all facing her. And she was raving, demanding they be removed, shouting at figures no one can see. All of us servants were awake, listening in terror at her raving, everyone too frightened to go and visit her.

One wonders if the empress has months or weeks upon this earth.

General Tsering Samgyal Yonten, to his subordinate, an officer known only as Kelsang

So the empress is dead. It's hard to believe it. One had the feeling she'd live forever.

Is it true that crowds were throwing stones at the funeral procession? I've heard the most terrible stories. It seems they've lost all reverence for the sacred role of imperial power. What is going on?

At least the war is still going well.

And I hear we're making good headway against the pirate convoys.

Between you and me, though, I've heard that some other families near Goraghat may not be so happy with the new regent, the empress' widow...

In any case, I must return to my business as a quartermaster for the eastern expeditions. Raising and equipping an army is not cheap...

I have confidence that this enemy shall be defeated and all shall be well.

From an anonymous pamphlet, pasted on the walls in Lhasa:

Our hands have been cut to the bone for centuries. We know who the culprit is, the great criminal that has caused us all this untold suffering. Their butchers hands are red with blood. Years of famine, violence, and terror - and today we say enough.

What, for the past years, has been the share of liberty and prosperity of nearly every person in the Empire? Nothing. What do they produce? Everything. What do they want to be? Something.

What will we be if we do nothing? Slaughtered like animals, offered up as sacrifices for an evil ritual.

What can we do instead? Take the sword out of the tyrants hands, and stop them from laying the farms to waste, from taking our stores, from seizing our water, from slaughtering all our animals, and leaving us poor and desperate.

We have been sent off to distant wars, which have left us only ruined and with the loss of those we love.

To that, there is only one option. To take up the wood beams and cracked mud of our ruined houses, to tear down each wall,

and to use the bricks to smash the tyrants head.

Long live the Revolution. The Empire has lost the will of heaven. Long live the Republic. The will of heaven is the will of the people.

From General Tsering Nyingma:

Something terrible has happened. I've heard terrible rumors of what is happening in Lhasa. An outbreak of collective delusion.

We end the wars in the east now and send the armies back. We have no time to waste if we are to protect the empire.

We will have to postpone our naval campaign against the pirates,

and keep only the minimum of troops on the border garrisons.

We adapt to this or the empire is lost.

Ambassador Avrakotos of the Anatolian Republic, to his friend Maaza Bremane Amanuel

My friend. Something wonderful has happened and I wish desperately that you could see it. Crowds had broken through the gates of the Potala Palace in Lhasa. The municipal fire brigade with their axes cut the barriers open. When I said I was with the Anatolian Republic, they let me through with a cheer.

I had arrived, through the gates and broken doors of the palace. The regent and his young son the child-emperor was nowhere to be seen.

Next to me I saw a ropemaker, that man who always carried around his rope clubs and talked with you over tea. I told him I was happy to see him here and he agreed. I heard a sound, a sound like cannon firing from the roof, and then a barrage of rifle fire, and I asked him what that might be.

He said, 'it is the sound of an empire dying.'

I have heard stories of rebellion across the south,

and of armies loyal to the old regime dissolving like sugar in water. These are marvelous days, whose like I had prayed for for years.

They cannot be stopped,

and the last thing I remember was on that day I was carried out of the palace by cheering crowds, celebrating that the day was won.

Long Live the Republic!
-Ambassador Avrakotos, stationed in the Republic of Tibet.

From Han Dong-hyun, Diplomatic Representative from Korea:

The situation in Tibet is deteriorating rapidly. I cannot tell the records of those dead or missing in the city, or the armies laid to waste. I headed out from Lhasa, on the way to visit a fort where reinforcements may be stationed. On the road, I saw what appeared to be a row of timber. This was strange was timber was not usually delivered along this route, nor was timber to be found in this barren part of Tibet.

It was a forward detachment of the imperial army, their bodies piled up along the roadside and not yet rotten.

Rebels hold sway among all of the countryside, and I cannot tell you what places are safe, or of the disposition of the Tibetan armies.

Korean army detachments have been attacked along the roads.

The Tibetan army cannot combat them.

They peasants now fight against the feudal lords in revolt, ready to tear them apart.

The ships have gone back to harbor and we may consider them lost to the war effort.

The empire is a great palace, all imposing from the outside, but rotten fabric and wood-eating termites inside. One marvels how quickly it is falling apart.

Respectfully submitted to His Majesty in Hanseong. [no date given].

From Xu Qunxiao, delegate from the Republic of Wu:

The journey into Tibet was dangerous and not without risk; many bands of rebels roamed the countryside. They are in two groups, broadly defined: those who wanted to destroy the empire; and still others who wished to impose the imperial system but with themselves at the head.

Some of the armies I encountered said directly they were more accommodating to our republic; stating their loyalty to our rightful government and hoping to unify their territories with ours; yet some others were more unsavory figures.

The Koreans had led an expedition, with their own king commanding the army, with some military success; yet the expectations were such that their ability to control territory formerly under the jurisdiction of the Celestial Tibetan Empire was limited.

The situation is changing so rapidly that there exist no maps of the current situation, nor is there any one individual that can describe it accurately. I hear a mixture of rumors and fact, and little was clear upon my arrival at the Tibetan Plateau.

The old structures of the authority and the bureaucracy ceased to exist; once the theocrat was removed, the army collapsed, the government down to the county level effectively ceased to report; and previous structures dissolved rapidly.

In Lhasa, I was able to learn that the regent and his son the emperor were located; they had been in disguise in the northern edge of the plateau.

A Purgyal, of all people, was the provisional head of government. I was not familiar with him or his background; he may have been from a minor or more impoverished branch of the family.

As for the Mongolian regent, he made a pitiful figure - he agreed readily that he was a guilty man and complicit in the crimes of the empire. He agreed in the legitimacy of the republic. He would take a desperate plea bargain - the cession of all his property to the empire if he could be granted the mercy of living like another citizen, with a horse to take him to the lands of his fathers.

I had heard much of revolutionary justice, and there was much pity to be taken on him, so he was spared. The dead empress was dragged out of her tomb and put on trial instead, the giant pearl still in her mouth from the burial rites, though that was missing after a day.

The Empire was dead. It was in this cauldron - impoverished, violent, with armies rampaging in its own borders - that a Republic was born.

The wheel of history has turned.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The House (of Purgyal) always wins!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's hilarious to me that this giant ungainly amalgamation of various seething religions, ethnicities, regional loyalties, ideologies, etc., overthrew an empress and decided to stay together as a republic.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Give it a decade, there's still plenty of time to lose all the peripheral nationalities. Although holding this giant absurd transcontinental Republic together long enough to watch nationalism proper arise in Victoria would be very very funny.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

kw0134 posted:

It's hilarious to me that this giant ungainly amalgamation of various seething religions, ethnicities, regional loyalties, ideologies, etc., overthrew an empress and decided to stay together as a republic.

Give it some time

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

This was strange was timber was not usually delivered along this route, nor was timber to be found in this barren part of Tibet.

Typo?

kw0134 posted:

Purgyal walks around the world.
Frontiers cannot bar him.
Neither barracks nor barricades impede.
Nor does barbed wire scar him.

Black, brown, and white receive him.
Language is no barrier.
The strangest tongues believe him.

The sun sets like a scar.
Between the darkness and the dawn
There rises a red star.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kangxi posted:

Give it some time
"What do we want!?"
"FREEDOM FROM THE FOREIGNERS!"
"When do we want it!?"
"AFTER THE DISSOLUTION OF THE IMPERIAL MONARCHY TO BE REPLACED BY A REPUBLIC AND A PLEBISCITE DETERMINING THE DEGREE OF CENTRALIZATION!"

-- rallying cry of the Han Freedom Revolutionary Group, circa 1755

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Look Independence movements against an imperial oppressor makes sense obviously

But independence movements against the Republic? That's counter revolutionary. Just reaction really.

And we know how we handle reactionaries around here

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Man this has been a wild ride, here's to hoping the Tibetan Republic can hold itself (and its very wealthy Chinese provinces) together long enough to spread the Revolution far and wide.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I still think General Dorje could have prevented all this! But whether the Mandate of Heaven falls on an empress, a president or even a Purgyal, the task before them remains the same- and I do not envy it.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Look Independence movements against an imperial oppressor makes sense obviously

But independence movements against the Republic? That's counter revolutionary. Just reaction really.

And we know how we handle reactionaries around here

We already deposed the corrupt imperial tibetan bureaucrats and replaced them with enlightened tibetan administrators. What more could they want? It's clear that a firm hand is needed to preserve the revolution

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

kw0134 posted:

Personally, I blame Tse.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

t3isukone posted:

Personally, I blame Tse.

:sickos:

Finally coming around to my point of view! We just need to find the next Lasya to fix everything!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So is this gonna continue in Vicky 2 or 3?

:cheeky:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Technowolf posted:

So is this gonna continue in Vicky 2 or 3?

:cheeky:

I'd be lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about it. I haven't decided yet but I'll let you know. I know I'm not the only megacampaigner to stop ahead of a new game coming out, and I certainly don't think it'll take as much time to mod out a new scenario for V3 as it did for the Hearts of Iron mod for the Byzantine campaign.

But dammit, I still like Victoria 2.

What do you all think?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Vicky 3 is only just announced right? We don't even have a release date. Go for it on Vicky2, the point of this thread is the storytelling, not fiddling with complex under-the-hood economics calculations. V2 does a perfectly fine job of showing how the world changes in the face of mass migration, revolutions (though there's been plenty of that already!), industrialization and nationalism.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Do whatever is easier and more fun for you. Anything that prevents LPer burnout is the best course of action.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

I'd be lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about it. I haven't decided yet but I'll let you know. I know I'm not the only megacampaigner to stop ahead of a new game coming out, and I certainly don't think it'll take as much time to mod out a new scenario for V3 as it did for the Hearts of Iron mod for the Byzantine campaign.

But dammit, I still like Victoria 2.

What do you all think?

It depends on how much you like/dislike using the converters to give you the basis of a mod. They'll take a little while even after it comes out to be ready. That's what caused my LP on the forums to stall for a few years (I wasn't happy with the state of Vic2 to HoI4 for a very long while). But if you just do it by hand...1) Why?! All those pops to get right! 2) You don't need to wait on the tools.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
On second thought, I'm leaning towards making the conversion to Victoria 2.

I'm more familiar with V2, and most importantly we have a working converter tool, which is so valuable because it will save so much time. I could manually adjust the pops later (as I'd need to adjust for the custom cultures added for parts of the mod) and also the tags but the converter does save me a lot of effort.

Post-revolution voting coming soon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We're gonna end up with the French thing of labeling by regime, huh? Because we're already on our Second Republic after our, what, Third Empire?

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Victoria 3 would be awesome but it'd be a long ways out, plus Paradox games are always broken at launch. Although CK3 was stable from my understanding so if Victoria 3 releases stable they could be bucking the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Imperator's release was also stable and bug free, they just forgot to put in most of the gameplay