Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really see how you can respond to Trump if you're Walker/Rubio/Bush and come out ahead. You can't repudiate him for going off-script because you'll look like you're criticizing the base, and you can't try to beat him at his own game.

No, if you're already seen as the effective frontrunner, and you've already raised enough money to have a long game, you play to your moderates by bashing Trump. Bush just did this the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

We're talking about the Republican Party here, remember?

Besides that 538 article pointed out Trump isn't actually seen as very conservative by the base, only slightly more so than Bush and less than both Rubio and Walker. So in the base's view he's already a moderate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheDisreputableDog posted:

But even that would have been a violation of the spirit of Obama's campaign message, which was that indefinite detention without legal recourse is wrong, so try the gitmo prisoners, let them go, or ship them to a different country.

Creating "Gitmo, Nebraska" is a shell game.

It's almost as if indefinite detention is harder to get away with inside the United States than on a military base on a island that up until this year Americans were unable to get to easily.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

No, if you're already seen as the effective frontrunner, and you've already raised enough money to have a long game, you play to your moderates by bashing Trump. Bush just did this the other day.

I've finally figured out your gimmick.

You're Dick Morris, aren't you.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Chokes McGee posted:

No wonder he always has a foot in his mouth.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

He's actually not wrong here - using Trump as a foil is the best move for Jeb right now, strategically.

Of course, if Trump ends up getting the better of him during the upcoming debate, then that whole strategy starts to fall apart.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

No wonder he always has a foot in his mouth.

I'm actually Krauthammer, shameful apology for this comment pre-emptively accepted.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Deofuta posted:

You miss out on the amazing catch phrase if you don't include the rule book!

We had this game when I was young. Got it as some sort of Christmas present I think. Anyway, we tried playing once but the rules made no drat sense.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Re: that 538 article I think it's probably true that Trump has reached, or will reach, the peak of his polling support much more quickly than other candidates because of his massive name recognition, and so the rapidity of Trump's rise in the polls is probably not that meaningful. At the same time, I'm not sure Trump's relative conservativeness is that important because I think he's kind of outside the usual framework for those things.

I also think it might be wise not to count on 2016 playing out exactly like 2012 in terms of cycling through alternatives to the establishment favorite, at least until we see some evidence that it's actually happening that way. And I also don't think you can take it for granted that all of the potential alternatives will be complete fuckups the way they were in 2012.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bob Ojeda posted:

Re: that 538 article I think it's probably true that Trump has reached, or will reach, the peak of his polling support much more quickly than other candidates because of his massive name recognition, and so the rapidity of Trump's rise in the polls is probably not that meaningful. At the same time, I'm not sure Trump's relative conservativeness is that important because I think he's kind of outside the usual framework for those things.

I also think it might be wise not to count on 2016 playing out exactly like 2012 in terms of cycling through alternatives to the establishment favorite, at least until we see some evidence that it's actually happening that way. And I also don't think you can take it for granted that all of the potential alternatives will be complete fuckups the way they were in 2012.

If his hard, absolute ceiling is 18%, that's massive in this field and enough (if he sticks it through), to be in the top-3 delegate-getters. That would pretty much guarantee a multiple-vote convention because Trump has finally motivated the Nativist wing of the party and it just fragments the field too much.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Unless Nate Silver is telling us Trump isn't going to poll well enough to get to the first debate, nothing else matters (for now :getin: )

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why would Trump bash Trump? I would say by contrast that Trump trumps Trump trumps.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm actually Krauthammer, shameful apology for this comment pre-emptively accepted.

You mean the guy with the magical ability to be wrong about literally every single thing to come out of his mouth, for decades straight?

Bob Ojeda posted:

The thing about Trump, like I said earlier, is I don't think he's going to go away, at least not unless he just doesn't want to run. They don't have any way to get rid of him

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm in the "nothing matters outside of the first debate" boat. If Trump can avoid imploding his campaign for just threeeeee moooore weeeeeks (a tall order, frankly) and gets into the debate, that's a victory for mankind. Just seeing him up there where all the other Republican candidates have to take him seriously as a peer and engage with his ideas will be worth it, not to mention that just about anything could happen - will someone take a swing at Trump after he cuts them off to insult them? Will he be ejected before the end of the debate for flagrantly breaking the rules? Will a viable candidate get buffaloed into agreeing with some toxic opinion of his? Will the crowd cheer for something so objectively awful that the Republican party as a whole loses face?

My friends and I are holding a drinking game for this one for sure. The "finish your drink" section will be yooge, just to cover all the contingencies.

Edit: Let's start with "Take a drink every time Trump says huge, classy or luxurious"...

VVVV Unless they cut his mic I don't know how they'd stop him talking over everyone anyway, and god help the man who cuts Trump's mic while he's on camera.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Even if they are forced to let him into the debate, couldn't Fox just...never cut to him? I seem to remember them giving Ron Paul as little face time as possible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Even if they are forced to let him into the debate, couldn't Fox just...never cut to him? I seem to remember them giving Ron Paul as little face time as possible.

Yeah if its a "debate" with 10 people, I imagine more hand raising nonsense.

Which will make for great watchin'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Slate Action posted:

I doubt something as minor as the host never asking him a question is going to stop Donald Trump from speaking.

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

Slate Action posted:

They will have him 20 feet from all the other podiums, behind the curtains.

During the entire debate you'll hear Trump's muffled ranting.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slate Action posted:

Donald Trump's ability and willingness to physically place himself in front of a camera greatly outstrips Ron Paul's

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
There is really no way for the Republicans to win with Trump. Try to keep him from the debate or sideline him and it feeds his persecution complex. Let him on stage and just by being there he hurts the party's image. Trump is not going to stay quiet no matter what.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Trump is going to do awesome in the debate, I'm amazed that some people think he is going to do poorly.

Trump is made of straw, there is nothing for the other candidates to go after because there is nothing there but ego and bravado and the conservative base is going to eat it up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

icantfindaname posted:

We're talking about the Republican Party here, remember?

Besides that 538 article pointed out Trump isn't actually seen as very conservative by the base, only slightly more so than Bush and less than both Rubio and Walker. So in the base's view he's already a moderate

There was an Allahpundit oped the other week that laid out the point that Trumps positions don't actually matter so much as its his willingness to fight in the most bombastic way possible. Basically like FDR - background and campaign matter less than rhetoric and what he will do

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
A drinking game where Trump mentions how rich he is during a debate will be amazing.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Slate Action posted:

Thing is, how much media does Trump demand vs. Ron Paul?

If they did that you can be guaranteed that Trump will be on every major morning show talking about how the republican party fears him more than they do Hillary since he's an outsider.

If he makes it to the first debate the republican party is hosed in the yoojest and most luxurious way possible... and I can't wipe the loving smile off my face thinking about it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Why would fox news try to hide a huge ratings magnet like Trump? I get that they played along with the RNC try to keep him out, but if he's in I expect them to throw their hands up and say "welp, we tried" and then put him front and center.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agrajag posted:

A drinking game where Trump mentions how rich he is during a debate will be deadly.

That's going on the list.

Definitely have to finish your drink if Trump unprompted leaves his podium at any point, particularly to get in front of the camera. Or if his mic is cut. Or if someone takes a swing at him...

Honestly writing them all down might be impossible, you might just have to use your judgement.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

That's somehow worse, as being Krauthammer means your face is an unlikely cross between an eagle and a vagina.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

Why would fox news try to hide a huge ratings magnet like Trump? I get that they played along with the RNC try to keep him out, but if he's in I expect them to throw their hands up and say "welp, we tried" and then put him front and center.

Maybe the purpose of mainstream media isn't actually profit?

I mean, given the amount of money most newspapers and broadcasters have been bleeding since the Internet killed advertising, any sane businessman would've pulled out of that market ages ago.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HappyHippo posted:

Roger "the gays will bomb me" Ailes runs :foxnews: and is absolutely in the tank for the republican brand along with thinking himself one of the major kink makers in the party. poo poo like Karl Rove's meltdown was more a way to strip Rove of his party standing after the horrible showing in the 2012 election since it both helped shield the republican brand as a whole and made Ailes star rise even more in the party, which are two of the few things Ailes actually cares about.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

But even that would have been a violation of the spirit of Obama's campaign message, which was that indefinite detention without legal recourse is wrong, so try the gitmo prisoners, let them go, or ship them to a different country.

Creating "Gitmo, Nebraska" is a shell game.
You know that we have been releasing a lot of them, right? Most of the time they just vanish into the mist, probably happy to be out of the hell that is Gitmo. Now if problems arise from those former detainees, like if they start working alongside ISIS/al-Qaeda/et al, then we solve the problem. I'm not especially happy about it, but it is what it is.

Krauthammer's name has always been hilarious to me. He's a Nazi and a Commie; I mean just look, it's right there in his name!:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 16, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

... one of the major kink makers in the party.

Can't tell if that's a typo or not.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Let's be more specific then: the ban isn't lifted yet, but will be in 6 months. The military is slow as gently caress about these things. You will be able to enlist then. This article will give you some more information.

Best of luck to you if you decide to enlist. Being gay kept me out of the air force, by the time the ban was lifted I had missed that opportunity, and I hope you have more luck than I did.

Details are important :)

And it would be re-enlisting. My gender dysphoria ended up getting the better of me and I had to get out. But if they will let me back in, I'm seriously thinking about doing so. Thanks!

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
I dont remember seeing anything about it here, but yesterday Chris Christie was endorsed by Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, which has put Christie on the top of 538's endorsement list for Republican.

Being from New Jersey I hate Christie and I'm looking forward to him inevitably ending his campaign but I would love to see him and Trump hash it out in a debate.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Yeah, I do.

And I will believe they'll let transgender people in once it happens. It would be great, but I'm not holding my breath 'cause I'm old and cynical.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Deofuta posted:

You miss out on the amazing catch phrase if you don't include the rule book!

Signed by Donald GlennnnnnnnnnFS

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Roger "the gays will bomb me" Ailes runs :foxnews: and is absolutely in the tank for the republican brand along with thinking himself one of the major kink makers in the party. poo poo like Karl Rove's meltdown was more a way to strip Rove of his party standing after the horrible showing in the 2012 election since it both helped shield the republican brand as a whole and made Ailes star rise even more in the party, which are two of the few things Ailes actually cares about.

Ailes seems like the type to be a fan of Trump's brand of politics.

Fox news are true believers no doubt but they also like to get ratings up by playing to the fears of old white conservative men. They don't seem to have much interest in the "reasonable, moderate" conservatives like Jeb! or Romney.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hillary's giving a town hall at the moment, however all questions are being asked via rotating standing fan.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?327146-1/hillary-clinton-town-hall-dover-new-hampshire

e: lol "well I guess I'm going to have to address student debt but its gonna cut government revenue!!!"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hope Christie makes it far

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Morroque posted:

Can't tell if that's a typo or not.

Well he is obsessed with "the gays"... :gay:

HappyHippo posted:

Ailes seems like the type to be a fan of Trump's brand of politics.

Fox news are true believers no doubt but they also like to get ratings up by playing to the fears of old white conservative men. They don't seem to have much interest in the "reasonable, moderate" conservatives like Jeb! or Romney.

He might be a fan of his politics, but he's absolutely not a fan of how he's saying it because Trump's rhetoric hasn't progressed passed "friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family beaner beaner beaner" like every other establishment candidate since 1968 has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Whoever wins the Republican debate will do so because they act like an old steady guy next to Trump.

• Locked thread