Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

masato tatanka posted:

I think the gem event was supposed to launch monday, because the auctions were supposed to occur every 45 mins from 3pm Dec 15th.
Nope, you were supposed to pile up bids and then the top ones would get peeled off every 45 minutes as an auction 'ended' and the next one began with the same set of bids. Of course then you could just gamble that the top few bids are ridiculous and come back later to see if the top bid dropped drastically on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

As far as I know, almost everyone on those sites get their keys semi-legitimately through retail copies on cheap markets or in bulk from hardware companies. Last year I sold like a thousand SimCity keys that I got that way.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Don't feel too bad. People in here always insist that sites like G2A are legit, only they mean "well the keys mostly seem to work!" as opposed to "this site doesn't have anything to do with keys obtained through theft or region fuckery".

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I'm all about some deals but I'm not so hard up that I'd wanna support jackasses being jackasses.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I really wonder if there's going to be any sorts of controls on the auctions to keep a tiny portion of the userbase from hoovering up all the games. If Valve somehow didn't think they needed that before they pushed the button, they must be aware now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

I really wonder if there's going to be any sorts of controls on the auctions to keep a tiny portion of the userbase from hoovering up all the games. If Valve somehow didn't think they needed that before they pushed the button, they must be aware now.
Why does it matter if a small subset of users spend more money than the games actually cost to 'win' them?

I don't think an account can win a game more than once, and it looks like they go to your library, so they aren't gift/tradeable. What would be the point of having 100 burner accounts with Zigguraut registered to them?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Xander77 posted:

Now that the gem drama is over (or at least laying in wait) two questions in advance of the Winter Sale:

1. I rather like the Warhammer 40K Inquisitor stuff (still hoping for a proper RPG based around an inqisitor and his acolytes investigating some messed up chaos stuff, battling demons and eldar and whatnot at some point). Space Marines, on the other hand, kinda bore me. Are any of the W40k games worth checking out if I'm not into Space Marines/strategy?

Not really, no. They sold the rights to make an Eisenhorn game (one of the best 40k book trilogies) to a phone game developer. :cripes:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Are people getting the holiday cards from crafting badges? I seem to remember those always starting out way, way higher and gradually dropping as people get shitloads of free ones, but if boosters were effectively free last night that would explain it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Everblight posted:

Why does it matter if a small subset of users spend more money than the games actually cost to 'win' them?

I don't think an account can win a game more than once, and it looks like they go to your library, so they aren't gift/tradeable. What would be the point of having 100 burner accounts with Zigguraut registered to them?

Because then it's a lovely disappointing event for everyone else?

I didn't notice that the games aren't transferable so that's definitely good, but it's still not doing anyone any favors to let events get monopolized by a handful of people who launder money through their Steam accounts or whatever. I'm sure most people would at least like the chance to turn the useless junk in their inventory into a game.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

heat posted:

Are people getting the holiday cards from crafting badges?

Yep.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Because then it's a lovely disappointing event for everyone else?

I didn't notice that the games aren't transferable so that's definitely good, but it's still not doing anyone any favors to let events get monopolized by a handful of people who launder money through their Steam accounts or whatever. I'm sure most people would at least like the chance to turn the useless junk in their inventory into a game.

The poor folks can at least make booster packs, at least that's something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

it's still not doing anyone any favors to let events get monopolized by a handful of people who launder money through their Steam accounts or whatever. I'm sure most people would at least like the chance to turn the useless junk in their inventory into a game.
If you're trying to "win" free games on a service with over 100,000,000 users, you're playing the wrong metagame.

Do you know who got rich in the 1849 gold rush?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So in the interest of seeing Steam's competition I got invited to the GOG galaxy alpha, and I'm already uninterested because there's no Small Mode, it opens in a giant window, and it looks like this

Not remotely as slick as their web design to say the least. But back to no small mode, I think this is why I keep coming back to Steam over any other launcher, because I have too many games to scroll through a grid or large pictures. I just want to be able to flick my mousewheel down a text list of game names and choose one!!

Hopefully they consider it for the future since this is just an alpha but Origin and uPlay don't have one either as far as I know. I just don't like large bloated clients.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 12, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

poo poo yeahhhhhhh Night Dive Studios publisher sale

If you were too dumb to pick up System Shock 2 or Tex Murphy or the old Sid Meier games before, now's your chance to fix that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

But steam grid is the most popular mode?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

So in the interest of seeing Steam's competition I got invited to the GOG galaxy alpha...
Just out of curiosity, how did you get signed up for this? I'd be very interested in testing it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Just out of curiosity, how did you get signed up for this? I'd be very interested in testing it.
Not sure if it's still taking invites but here's the URL: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

RBX posted:

But steam grid is the most popular mode?
Well the popular kids hosed UP then cause small mode is where it's at

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Not sure if it's still taking invites but here's the URL: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha
It let me sign up at least, now I'll just have to wait for a key to show up. Thanks for the help!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

So in the interest of seeing Steam's competition I got invited to the GOG galaxy alpha, and I'm already uninterested because there's no Small Mode, it opens in a giant window, and it looks like this

Not remotely as slick as their web design to say the least. But back to no small mode, I think this is why I keep coming back to Steam over any other launcher, because I have too many games to scroll through a grid or large pictures. I just want to be able to flick my mousewheel down a text list of game names and choose one!!

Hopefully they consider it for the future since this is just an alpha but Origin and uPlay don't have one either as far as I know. I just don't like large bloated clients.

You can change the size of the window. It's already better than the old downloader and it's just alpha.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You can resize it a bit in each direction but I would rather have the option to turn off the website side of the UI entirely (and the ability to launch from the left side of the menu as well)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you were too dumb to pick up System Shock 2 or Tex Murphy or the old Sid Meier games before, now's your chance to fix that.

Everyone buy I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream because it's the darkest P&C adventure ever and Harlan Ellison himself plays AM

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I also got an invite for the client and completely agree on this. I'm small font, view as list guy. I mainly want a clean design with a list of games without all the extraneous advertising you get with Origin and UPlay. Hopefully with this being an alpha build, GOG will allow for a fair bit of tweaking in the future.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Everblight posted:

Everyone buy I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream because it's the darkest P&C adventure ever and Harlan Ellison himself plays AM

Hmm, I forget, but didn't the Steam version lack the opening? I seem to remember that either GoG or Steam skipped right to the character screen.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Zombie Samurai posted:

poo poo yeah, some of these deals are loving nuts. I'd definitely recommend Bad Mojo Redux from the sale. One of the more unique (and admittedly disgusting) adventure games I've played.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I love that when I go into random Rocksmith streams and yell "FREEBIRD!!!" the user will invariably play it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
I signed up for the GoG Galaxy Alpha some time ago and have yet to receive a key, so YMMV. To be fair, they do say it will be sent out in batches, so no biggie.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TheNintenGenius posted:

poo poo yeah, some of these deals are loving nuts. I'd definitely recommend Bad Mojo Redux from the sale. One of the more unique (and admittedly disgusting) adventure games I've played.

Seconded. The only thing I would recommend is to solve one of the puzzles (the power meter one) before you're supposed to be able to to prevent a large trip back.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

You get to keep the duped gems you bought I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

afkmacro posted:

It's gonna be funny when they have to pull down the auction again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

afkmacro posted:

Did anyone actually get duped gems back or just the ones they made themselves from their own inventory items? I got back the gems I made, like the image says.

e: They're probably just reimbursing the people who didn't get gems back post-Fuckup

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

afkmacro posted:

That's not what "All Gem purchases from the Community Market will be reimbursed" means.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Did anyone actually get duped gems back or just the ones they made themselves from their own inventory items? I got back the gems I made, like the image says.

I currently have gems I bought on the market for $0.03 in my inventory, but it sounds like they're going to take those and give me back the credit. Nothing has happened yet though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Isn't this literally just the same thing as Steam at this point? All the games on Galaxy that are DRM free are also DRM free on Steam, both are just used as downloaders that happen to have friends lists.

I find it absolutely hilarious the same people that run into the proverbial internet streets naked screaming about how Steam is big brother and GoG is the revolution are eating this poo poo up. Unless there is some huge reveal I don't know about, they seem to be the same thing, just one has less games.

Also EA gave a big gently caress you to anybody who decided to buy stuff from them over the last week from their sale. They readjusted the prices on all the games people were talking in this thread about buying, so rather then be $10, they went down to $6 ( or $3 if using Mexican Origin! ). No mention of this elsewhere of course, the sale just ended, and they decided to put up a better sale in it's place.

I swear every time I buy EA games they find a way to gently caress me for it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

That's not what "All Gem purchases from the Community Market will be reimbursed" means.

Doesn't necessarily mean they will take the "goods" back.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When you could still convert backgrounds and emotes into gems, how did that work? Like was the gem amount specific for each emoticon and background, or did common backgrounds = X gems, uncommon = Y gems, etc?

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

Jizz Festival posted:

When you could still convert backgrounds and emotes into gems, how did that work? Like was the gem amount specific for each emoticon and background, or did common backgrounds = X gems, uncommon = Y gems, etc?

Everything from Valve was worth 100 gems. Others varied in price between 20-80 from what I saw.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dudes! I have $1.67 from card sales. I have a choice between 3 games, which are all on sale on my wishlist:

System Shock 2
Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum
Tex Murphy: Mean Streets

I've never played any of these games, and yes, I realize I'm like part of the 0.03% of the population that hasn't played SS2. I don't mind jumping into old games for the first time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dudes! I have $1.67 from card sales. I have a choice between 3 games, which are all on sale on my wishlist:

System Shock 2

I've never played any of these games, and yes, I realize I'm like part of the 0.03% of the population that hasn't played SS2. I don't mind jumping into old games for the first time.

Stop being part of the 0.03%.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

System Shock 2

look at you, hacker, not waiting for a daily deal. how can you hope to challenge gaben, a perfect immortal machine

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Get System Shock 2, how is this even a question.

Well the popular kids hosed UP then cause small mode is where it's at

:hfive: true post

I just read the entire gem saga which, apparently, I completely missed by actually playing a game on Steam. This amuses me. I don't think it's irony, but it's funny just the same.

at the end of the day I hope they figure something out - basically, if I can get rid of junk backgrounds and emotes in my inventory and turn them into cards, no matter the mechanism, I'll be happy. So many junk backgrounds. And I have ~20 card sets completed and ready for crafting so that'll be a shitload more useless emotes/wallpapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks, done!

FINALLY!!! I will be elevated.

• Locked thread