Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

What do you think would be the best line for a one-shot/mini-campaign for people who've never played WoD?

My D&D group occasionally pauses our main game for a break or to let the GM actually play for once and I was thinking of running NWoD next time that happens.

I'm leaning towards vampire right now since you need to do less explaining of the setting and the powers are fairly straightforward.

Just to plug my own crap. If you grab Nightmare at Hill Manor, with just that you can run "The Hunger Within" which I wrote.

https://www.storytellersvault.com/product/263781/The-Hunger-Within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nessus posted:

Here's a question for the old vampire heads: Did you ever do anything fun or interesting with the Malkavian Network? It has been a lot more distinctive to me whenever I've considered approaches to games, or characters in Vampire settings, than ~iNsAnItY~.

Played a LARP where occasionally the Malk primogen would text the entire clan to silently leave Elysium at the same time and it was always EXTREMELY unsettling. There were two players who would stand next to each other and occasionally randomly switch conversational partners, without disrupting the flow of conversation much. Laughing at the same time, apropo of nothing, also good to throw folks off.
One guy would add in something seemingly random things to his sentences (like saying "Stephen Tyler" in an unrelated sentence) and then asking you an even randomer question where that was the answer. Like, an hour after saying Stephen Tyler he'd ask me "Hey, who's honking on Bobo?" And it was just now this year that I learned "Honkin' on Bobo" is a fuckiing Aerosmith record. Stephen Tyler is their lead mouth and he adopted a 16 year old he was loving to take her on tour with him.

For tabletop, I would occasionally swap character sheets, or have players write down thoughts or impressions which I'd shuffle and pass to other characters. Good way to hint at flaws or dramatic back stories. Another thing I'd do is introduce facts in a way that almost makes sense. In one game I ran, a character picked up a decorative vase and then told everyone that they were needed back at Elysium. The vase told her that because it captured and amplified a conversation taking place on the network about an impending Sabbat raid. But start with "the vase tells you to get to Elysium" which is crazy, then explain the logistics behind the crazy. Play up that dissonance.

In general, I really like how Jan Svankmajer uses consistent symbols in his surrealism, it feels cohesive in a way that is strange without being random. I feel like that's how the network would operate, abstract ideas conveyed via concrete images. Or music.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The last LARP I ran with a heavy Malkavian presence, I treated them a bit like Mages--their visions would all sort of circle around the same subject, but filtered through their individual "paradigms" the actual content of each prophecy diverged greatly from the other. A classical oracle wouldn't see the awakening of Set in the same way that a turn-of-the-century yellow newspaperman would, but they'd both pick up such an event through the Network.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Malks with anxiety are always good sources of horror, was the scene of bloodshed and gore they witnessed upon gripping the doorknob a vision or unfounded worry? Open the door and find out! Fear spreads fast enough as is, what if intrusive worst case scenario thoughts were contagious?

I'm not nice. These aren't nice things to do to people.

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011
A darkly ironic thing with Beast is, for all its talk to be a crossover game, the exemple Hungers are way too much focused on humans. Focusing them on the supernatural is a good-the-only way to have Beasts who are devoid of creepiness. Plus that also fixes the game other big problem: finding something to do.

Part of the problem is that the Hunger mechanics, just as the Horror aesthetic are too wide, which leads to the "You must burn jaywalkers to death" thing. If the Hunger for Punishment was strictly applying to society-wide taboos like kinslaying or hospitality breaches, it would seem less petty than in RAW

You Hunger for forbidden knowledge so you hunt grimoires of black magic, writings of the Belial's Brood, soulstones belonging to the Left-Handed and the like. You bring them in your very soul, keep the world safe from them. Or is them safe from the world?

You Hunger for prey. Fine spirits feel fear too, the Uratha can attest to that. The creatures of the Hedge also. Perhaps even the True Fae but how to frighten an immortal demigod?

You hunger for blasphemy. Ok the World of Darkness is filled with things pretending to be gods, some with the power to back it up. Are you going to keep attacking con men masquerading as priests or will you move against the Exarchs?

Another idea I sold to my group is: Beasts are made to teach lessons. By dying to a Hero's hands. It's how the tale ends. You act like a monster until you are put down. It's for that you get all these powers, to become a worthy opponent for the protagonist. Your Horror and your Hunger are obstacles on the way of humanity who will be removed.

Or accepted with conditions sometimes. After all Giants married in the gods' family from time to time and the Furies became part of Athens' judicial system.

In that case the Heroes' problem is not they kill Beasts. It's their role and they are claimed by Spirits-Goetia of Hope to do so. It's they kill Beasts without fixing the situation that caused them to appear. Killing that Hydra is very nice but draining the, literal or metaphorical swamp, is the best way to ensure it doesn't appear again. Slaying the Tyrant is very good but leaving the structure they put in place is just begging to have another one taking its place.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm jealous of all the creative Malk players you guys could bag in your games.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A dark irony, indeed.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I Am Just a Box posted:

Blue book mortals, car breaks down on a long road trip in a little nowhere stop where something isn't right, use the Horror creation rules, let their play decide if it skews more Twin Peaks, Scooby-Doo, or Army of Darkness.

Thematic overlap with Hunter, but the extra mechanical doodads and tactics and organizations, except maybe risking Willpower, aren't really necessary and might just clutter a short adventure like this. Hunter provides a good place to take the group if they're really into it and decide they want more.

Hmm, not a bad idea. The best game I ever ran was a mortal/second sight campaign where things gradually got crazier as they went on.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I just read Broken Diamond and enjoyed it a lot, but I've got some questions about the setting, and whether that's all homebrew, or stuff that was changed by later editions of Mage. Two biggest ones revolve around a major spoiler, so I'll just tag that.

Were the Exarchs originally not named, and did they have different favored Arcana? It was pretty weird to see Shiva as an Exarch, and explicitly being an ascended Mastigos throwing Mind and Space around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I just broke out my UV flashlight and this made my week.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Elswyyr posted:

I just read Broken Diamond and enjoyed it a lot, but I've got some questions about the setting, and whether that's all homebrew, or stuff that was changed by later editions of Mage. Two biggest ones revolve around a major spoiler, so I'll just tag that.

Were the Exarchs originally not named, and did they have different favored Arcana? It was pretty weird to see Shiva as an Exarch, and explicitly being an ascended Mastigos throwing Mind and Space around.

Not so much “changed” as “not revealed”: we played that game until the fall of 2007, iirc, and the first Order book came out right as it was ending. I got my freelancing gig off the back of it, wrote Seers about a year later, and *that’s* where the Exarchs were first named.

I put a couple of winks to it into Signs of Sorcery, actually. I based a short section about Seer reward Artifavts around the plot devices in Reign of the Exarchs, and “the Destroyer” and “the Rani” are in the list of lesser Exarchs other than the Iron Seals.

Basically, Broken Diamond was run pre-Seers, pre-Astral Realms, pre-Summoners (there’s a plot point about how mages can’t summon supernal entities in it!) etc

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 18, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still waiting for my copy dammit.

I'm so jealous.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Elswyyr posted:

That was an editorial oversight. Shiva, of course, uses Forces and Matter to cast her signature spell, Diamond Dust.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Basically, Broken Diamond was run pre-Seers, pre-Astral Realms, pre-Summoners (there’s a plot point about how mages can’t summon supernal entities in it!) etc

Are there going to be any second edition actual plays?

Broken Diamond and Soul Cage (and the Man Comes Around) helped me get a handle on mage and, I'm sure, really helped boost the popularity of the game.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I just broke out my UV flashlight and this made my week.

Way back a million years ago when I was a Youth, I got a copy of Wraith 1e. I stayed up way too late that night basically reading the thing cover to cover - I don’t know if it’s because I’ve always been fascinated by ghosts or if it’s just a more engaging setting than the other oWoD books - and was mostly done when I realized I was drifting off to sleep while reading. I put the book down, turned off the light, and pretty much immediately sank into a half-awake state. Maybe five minutes later I started freaking out because something in my room was glowing creepily and my semi-functioning brain couldn’t put the pieces together.

Good to see they’re keeping that going.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

nofather posted:

Are there going to be any second edition actual plays?

Broken Diamond and Soul Cage (and the Man Comes Around) helped me get a handle on mage and, I'm sure, really helped boost the popularity of the game.

Not from me. TMcA ran for about twice as long as got recapped, and then one of the players had a stroke. For various reasons we’ve not all managed to get in a room to play for a year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

Way back a million years ago when I was a Youth, I got a copy of Wraith 1e. I stayed up way too late that night basically reading the thing cover to cover - I don’t know if it’s because I’ve always been fascinated by ghosts or if it’s just a more engaging setting than the other oWoD books - and was mostly done when I realized I was drifting off to sleep while reading. I put the book down, turned off the light, and pretty much immediately sank into a half-awake state. Maybe five minutes later I started freaking out because something in my room was glowing creepily and my semi-functioning brain couldn’t put the pieces together.

Good to see they’re keeping that going.

What? There's nothing glow in the dark on the Wraith cover!

(Dramatic sting music.)

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

and then one of the players had a stroke.

Wow, sorry to hear that.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Matt discussions of late got me thinking about Beast and Demon and finally made me remember to ask this question I've been meaning to: WTF is it with Demons and Beasts not getting on?

I don't mean on an in-character level, I'm sure there's some setting justification written in ex post facto to explain that (though actually if there isn't it wouldn't necessarily surprise me). I mean on an out-of-character level, does anyone know why it's designed that way?

It's a weird decision off in the corner in a work which I admit has vaster and more profound problems, but it still nags at me. If you're going to have a "crossover splat", why pick out one other splat who can't play ball with it? What does it add to the game to have this in place? What damage would it do if Beasts and Demons could be pals (aside from the obvious damage of "you now have Beast stuff in what was previously a perfectly good Demon game")?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Warthur posted:

It's a weird decision off in the corner in a work which I admit has vaster and more profound problems, but it still nags at me. If you're going to have a "crossover splat", why pick out one other splat who can't play ball with it? What does it add to the game to have this in place? What damage would it do if Beasts and Demons could be pals (aside from the obvious damage of "you now have Beast stuff in what was previously a perfectly good Demon game")?

Probably because, being secret actors always being hunted by the near-omnipresent GM, Demons aren't the type who should be out there making friends with supernatural terrors. But also presumably because all the other splats are borne from humanity (and the Horrors are fears of humanity) while Demon comes from something else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Their deals are so incompatible that even a book trying to smash Beast together with every other splat while saying "NOW KISS" had to acknowledge that it just wasn't going to happen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nofather posted:

Probably because, being secret actors always being hunted by the near-omnipresent GM, Demons aren't the type who should be out there making friends with supernatural terrors. But also presumably because all the other splats are borne from humanity (and the Horrors are fears of humanity) while Demon comes from something else.

Also much hay is made of Beast knowing THE TRUTH about everything thanks to having a link to primal dark knowledge blah blah blah so they see through Demons' Covers or something.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

nofather posted:

Sure, that's an in-character justification, but it's not like "...and we also wuv Beasts" is any less incongruous when set next to the themes of most other splats (with the potential exception of vamps, because in Requiem "vampire" seems to be a catch-all term for any entity which sustains itself in a particular way and extending the definition a little further to include Beasts doesn't seem odd). It's utter goofnonsense with respect to Changeling, for instance.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Warthur posted:

It's utter goofnonsense with respect to Changeling, for instance.

Their 'hunt' goes about things differently. A Keeper is always after you (through Huntsmen) from the pieces they've got of you. It doesn't matter if you become the most famous person in the world (in fact it might help, because you'd have more buffers a huntsman might have difficulty getting through. It's why Changelings have their freeholds, groups equate to safety.

Whereas the GM is just looking for things that pop up that might be demon activity, the identity of said demon not really mattering as much (at first, at least). Demon rings are a necessary risk so they can organize with others, but still not something demons are going to jump into without knowing it might be a trap.

Dawgstar posted:

Also much hay is made of Beast knowing THE TRUTH about everything thanks to having a link to primal dark knowledge blah blah blah so they see through Demons' Covers or something.

I could be wrong (it happens) but I believe the Dark Mother and 'actually' being family is just a compensation thing. Horrors are fears. Some have been carved out and created in the human consciousness by the activities of other supernaturals, which allows for abilities like personalizing nightmares based on other splats. From there they jump to the conclusion that they must have a firmer relationship with them, and that, taken to the natural conclusion of egocentric folks, leads to them knowing 'the truth' and how things really are.

Basically every game sees the world through their own experiences. Changelings sometimes think other supernaturals are descended from other changelings, werewolves may think things are hosts or claimed, etc. Things are considered true to the in-world creatures but not necessarily how things actually work/happened.

nofather fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 19, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Warthur posted:

The Matt discussions of late got me thinking about Beast and Demon and finally made me remember to ask this question I've been meaning to: WTF is it with Demons and Beasts not getting on?

I don't mean on an in-character level, I'm sure there's some setting justification written in ex post facto to explain that (though actually if there isn't it wouldn't necessarily surprise me). I mean on an out-of-character level, does anyone know why it's designed that way?

Probably a combination of an exception case generally being a cool way to build heat (players of a splat like it when their splat is special or different in some way), and the Family Resemblance that's central to beasts' supposed crossover appeal being thematically at odds with Demon's focus on espionage and deep cover. Demons don't have easy ways to pick out fellow demons from the crowd, and are meant to kind of wonder who they're dealing with at least a little bit. Their Cover frays when people find out more about what they really are. If Family Resemblance didn't cause that and just went off safely, a crossover between Demon and Beast would serve to directly dilute the spy angle.

The distinction of everything else being born of the Dark Mother is arbitrary and smacks more of back-justification. There's nothing uniquely alien about the God-Machine thematically that couldn't be attributed instead to any other splat with alien themes (Mummy), and they're not unique in never having emerged from being once human (Promethean).

From there poo poo just breaks down into Beast being a poorly thought out crazy-quilt product with bad ideas: stapling "the darkest, most overtly predatory and selfishly inimical splat since Vampire" to "the crossover-friendly splat that other supernatural beings all like being around," the bizarre mechanism by which Family Resemblance with demons is made oppositional, any suggestion that changelings would appreciate the company of abuse elementals, etc.

nofather posted:

Basically every game sees the world through their own experiences. Changelings sometimes think other supernaturals are descended from other changelings, werewolves may think things are hosts or claimed, etc. Things are considered true to the in-world creatures but not necessarily how things actually work/happened.

I've never liked presentations that presume that this is the prevailing view. Certainly some characters would be out there in the game world who think like this, but say, the Demon Storyteller's Guide crossover section for Werewolf sticks out like a sore thumb for how it describes demons as a whole as bending over backwards to try to fit the Uratha and associated phenomena into their cosmology. The other crossover sections feel much more natural in that they speculate very little about where other beings come from, and are much more practically concerned with what it's like dealing with these other guys and their agendas around, and how to make use of them or navigate around them.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I recently had a woof player get introduced to the concept of Sin Eaters and even had a nearby NPC comment 'Isn't that the same as being Claimed?' and just brushed it off as 'not a spirit, not my problem.'

Which, while technically correct, In retrospect that probably should have been a breaking point for him just on the grounds that through the werewolf lense of the world that particular phenomenon should be more than a little concerning.

Also RE: vampires accepting beasts: as much as it's implied that if you're a night-stalking blood-drinker you eventually undergo genetic drift and become one of the Kindred (All vampire-shaped things eventually become weird bloodline or clans), I think that accepting beasts might be too far just because of the shakeup Vampire Society would undergo having to cope with non-ghouled non-blood-bonded folks who can walk under the sun without exploding.

During some between-games chat we followed a hypothetical through to its logical conclusion and ended up with permanently invisible, sunlight-immune cyborg vampires, and decided that if it got out that the Ordo had created such a thing it'd cause a civil war.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Crasical posted:

I recently had a woof player get introduced to the concept of Sin Eaters and even had a nearby NPC comment 'Isn't that the same as being Claimed?' and just brushed it off as 'not a spirit, not my problem.'

Which, while technically correct, In retrospect that probably should have been a breaking point for him just on the grounds that through the werewolf lense of the world that particular phenomenon should be more than a little concerning.

Also RE: vampires accepting beasts: as much as it's implied that if you're a night-stalking blood-drinker you eventually undergo genetic drift and become one of the Kindred (All vampire-shaped things eventually become weird bloodline or clans), I think that accepting beasts might be too far just because of the shakeup Vampire Society would undergo having to cope with non-ghouled non-blood-bonded folks who can walk under the sun without exploding.

During some between-games chat we followed a hypothetical through to its logical conclusion and ended up with permanently invisible, sunlight-immune cyborg vampires, and decided that if it got out that the Ordo had created such a thing it'd cause a civil war.

It's not the same as being Claimed. It's an entirely different Manifestation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It's not the same as being Claimed. It's an entirely different Manifestation.

It's close enough on the surface that it makes more sense for a werewolf to assume than, say, a demon assuming a werewolf is "an alternate form of hunter angel, independent of Infrastructure and born from human biological imperatives." (The Werewolf book even shouts it out in the Storm Lords writeup.)

If you start to dig deeper, of course, you find the ways it differs from Claiming. Little physical transformation. Conscious psychic symbiosis instead of urged psychic fusion. Unleashing and the occult presence manifest through Haunts.

If you start to dig deeper. A lot of werewolves have more pressing things to spend their time on, regardless of whether the Sin-Eater just leaves or an all-out pack-krewe war sparks.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm running a Mage chronicle right now in tabletop that has the players as a cabal that's on a 19th century sailing ship that's on a circumnavigation trip with the main destination in Ceylon but with stops along the way at Rio de Janeiro, Polynesia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia and China before reaching Sri Lanka, and then heading towards Zanzibar and passing the Cape of Good Hope before getting shipwrecked and marooned on the coast of East Africa with them going up the coast towards Morocco to get back home in England.

Beyond the central plot which revolves them being Diamond mages trying to secure a powerful, unknown artifact to swing the Nameless War (which they will find out is already swinging with the Free Council's earliest formations, with them playing an indirect part in the formation of the Pentacle), but most of the game will take place on the ship in between each of these destinations, though I intend to use the Astral Plane, Shadow Realm, Underworld and other Irises as a way to get out of just being on a ship all the time. The Seers are the major antagonists as they are the ones who are guiding the voyage and the cabal is attempting to thwart by taking over the ship from within and finding out what they plan, and diverting the cargo to Diamond hands once it returns from Ceylon rather than its intended destination.

I wanted to see what ideas the thread might have for specifically nautical themed Mysteries. A central conceit of the setting will be focusing on the Atlantis myth, the concept of "dragons" and their ties to leylines, and the Astral will play a relatively large role. As well, the ship is infested with ghosts and malevolent spirits, as a former slave ship captured by privateers and turned into a penal transport ship (which is indeed one reason the voyage is stopping at New Zealand, to deliver a small group of convicts to Van Diemens Land in Tasmania and a lot of provisions, before picking up exotic goods in China and India.)

Mostly I just want a dozen or so plot hooks and mysteries to use as connective tissue between the destinations and get people's interests, in case the Obsessions and Aspirations of my players don't immediately jump out as obvious plots.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

I've never liked presentations that presume that this is the prevailing view. Certainly some characters would be out there in the game world who think like this, but say, the Demon Storyteller's Guide crossover section for Werewolf sticks out like a sore thumb for how it describes demons as a whole as bending over backwards to try to fit the Uratha and associated phenomena into their cosmology. The other crossover sections feel much more natural in that they speculate very little about where other beings come from, and are much more practically concerned with what it's like dealing with these other guys and their agendas around, and how to make use of them or navigate around them.

For a vampire it doesn't matter where a werewolf came from. For a fugitive of the God Machine, it matters if someone they're going to deal with is a direct agent of the God Machine. What it's like working with them can tie directly into their perceived origins. Werewolves, too, have good reason to theorize on the origins of other supernaturals since many of them are prey.

Crasical posted:

There's no Breaking Point in associating with Claimed, or not caring about a spirit or other entity in the real world (most totems hunt alongside their pack in the real world, or watch over them from it). Especially just being introduced to the concept of Sin-Eaters and not caring shouldn't have a Breaking Point. It might affect whether they want to hunt them or not but not going after certain targets like rabid wolves doesn't deserve a Breaking Point.

And as has been pointed out, it's a different Manifestation with different impacts (the Sin-Eater is still in charge of their body, for instance, while with a Claimed the person's mind is squished down to insignificance while their body mutates to fit the spirits resonance). Though it's entirely within reason for a werewolf to think 'close enough.' Just like a werewolf is not obligated to hunt a certain thing, they can choose to hunt whatever they want. A lodge that hunts Sin-Eaters makes as much sense as one that hunts slashers.

nofather fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Tias posted:

Can someone sum up easily what Martin Swedracula did w/r/t Vampire 5th gen that sucked (no pun intended)? My girlfriend has known him for 20 years it turns out, and while she thinks he's a lovely and possibly rapey LARPer, she hasn't heard in her RPG circle what's so bad about V5.

I haven't read it, so thought I'd turn to the trusty memory of goons.txt

This doesn't relate strictly to V5 but to Swedracula as a whole, but his first big LARP thing involved inviting people to a creepy sex dungeon where you had to send in your headshot to be "cast" and people got accosted from behind and were told not to wear anything they didn't want to get ruined by physicality.

So hearing that he was considered a lovely and possibly rapey figure in his local LARP scene even before that probably explains almost everything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gerund posted:

This doesn't relate strictly to V5 but to Swedracula as a whole, but his first big LARP thing involved inviting people to a creepy sex dungeon where you had to send in your headshot to be "cast" and people got accosted from behind and were told not to wear anything they didn't want to get ruined by physicality.

So hearing that he was considered a lovely and possibly rapey figure in his local LARP scene even before that probably explains almost everything.

Yeah, he seems to be big in the 'if you're experiencing extreme psychological discomfort, I'm doing something right!' camp. I've never run into anybody who thought that that wasn't a douchebag.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've finished reading through the Core and Anarch books for V5 and I'm honestly enjoying it all as far the story goes. I really enjoy the turn with Theo Bell and Ventrue big wigs eating poo poo out of nowhere.

The Anarch book is especially fun because they explore a lot of things I didn't really expect them to and even have a vampire reporter still trying to do her thing.

I know it's been mentioned but there is a lead up lore book for all this, right?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

TheKingslayer posted:

I've finished reading through the Core and Anarch books for V5 and I'm honestly enjoying it all as far the story goes. I really enjoy the turn with Theo Bell and Ventrue big wigs eating poo poo out of nowhere.

The Anarch book is especially fun because they explore a lot of things I didn't really expect them to and even have a vampire reporter still trying to do her thing.

I know it's been mentioned but there is a lead up lore book for all this, right?

Beckett's Jyhad Diary sets up some things (like the Tremere and the potential inside job of the prime chantry being bombed), but BJD is essentially the 'bridge,' setting up plot points here and there, particularly the Book of the Grave War.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MoonKnight posted:

Beckett's Jyhad Diary sets up some things (like the Tremere and the potential inside job of the prime chantry being bombed), but BJD is essentially the 'bridge,' setting up plot points here and there, particularly the Book of the Grave War.

There's a lot of fun stuff in the book, like Birmingham Alabama(!) of all places being the center of Assamites who join the Cam and the possibility there's a dozen super-old elders who ran the largest of the chattel slavery plantations about to wake up (called 'The Southron Lords' I think). If you're a VtM lore nerd, it's a great read.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

There's a lot of fun stuff in the book, like Birmingham Alabama(!) of all places being the center of Assamites who join the Cam and the possibility there's a dozen super-old elders who ran the largest of the chattel slavery plantations about to wake up (called 'The Southron Lords' I think). If you're a VtM lore nerd, it's a great read.

As weird as it sounds that's kind of neat being an Alabama native and never really getting much in the way of WoD lore for this area.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
V5 basically threw Beckett out the window to do a lot of less interesting stuff, but you should read Beckett anyway because it's good, and I wish somebody would do an F&F who actually has enough WoD trivia knowledge to catch all the references.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The only reason I checked out V5 was the plot progression and honestly it's been a very pleasant surprise. Also kind of rewarding if you were masochistic enough to read all the novels.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

As weird as it sounds that's kind of neat being an Alabama native and never really getting much in the way of WoD lore for this area.

Same and same. Heck, aside from Atlanta the most the southeast gets in the way of WoD was Rage Across Appalachia* which is early enough I'm going to assume wasn't very good and how most of the major cities get steamrolled in the Sabbat's late 90's Crusade up the coast.

*And that could be a heck of a setting for a Werewolf game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

nofather posted:

There's no Breaking Point in associating with Claimed, or not caring about a spirit or other entity in the real world (most totems hunt alongside their pack in the real world, or watch over them from it). Especially just being introduced to the concept of Sin-Eaters and not caring shouldn't have a Breaking Point. It might affect whether they want to hunt them or not but not going after certain targets like rabid wolves doesn't deserve a Breaking Point.

In my defense:
1) The wolf in question is a Bone Shadow, and the ephemeral and its effects are kind of a big deal to that tribe.
2) The character in question had been, up until that scene, and immediately again after it, very much a 'this is my territory' kinda guy that considered spooky things showing up and starting fights in his patch of turf a beating offense.
3) Harmony Breaks aren't really a huge deal for wolves to begin with.

It was out of character enough and hewed close to the tribal vow of 'pay each spirit in kind' and the general breaking point of 'do not allow a spirit safe passage into the physical world' that IN RETROSPECT I should have called attention to his harmony for the blase dismissal. He probably should have made an occult roll of his own (It was actually a misdiagnosis by another character that made them think it was a Sin Eater in the first place) or at the very least made a decision to the effect of 'this is potentially worrying and I'd like to look into it more but there are more pressing matters right now' rather than 'eh, not my problem.

I'm not trying to punish the dude for not immediately sticking a fig of ginger up his rear end and going tearing off after the thing, just saying 'Hey from a Wolf's perspective, this is not something you should casually brush off'. You and I Am Just a Box both correctly pointed out that Werewolves don't have in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics and while a Sin Eater is NOT Claimed, they REALLY look Spirit-Ridden until you take a good look at one and don't just hear a vague description from someone who blew their Occult check.