Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh lord, using footage from Dead Ahead for that is the single most appropriate choice.
And that's why you don't play games day 1 and wait till they patch loading times kids!

Also now I want Drakengard 3 to end with Zero's drug induced fantasy rampage before she gets sucked in by the mother grotesquerie's giant head. I hope you're happy for that mental image.

EDIT: Whoops. Silly video on the bottom of the last page.

The Dark Id posted:

I'll have an update with the rest of the mission in a bit. For now here's a thing I made while dicking around waiting for the cable guy to do his business:

Gotta get a grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Seere does as well, as does Verdelet, (occasionally for humans - though not for THE SUB-HUMAN SCUM ERADICTE THEIR FILTH FROM THE EARTH CLEANSE THE LAND OF THEIR TAINT!).
It's probably telling that when I made that post, I stopped for a moment to think "...Isn't he?" and all that came to mind (immediately) was Seere's golem smashing Manah into jelly and Verdelet doing his bit about ethnic cleansing. The Dark Id version of events lingers in my memory better than the game itself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Verdelet's novella is actually about him being ineffectual. It's pretty great.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DeafNote posted:

Crushing Manah with Golem though, not the best or nicest of ideas

Love, mace, etc.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wait, Verdelet made his pact with a petrified dragon, didn't he? I'd completely forgotten about that until now, that's a thing that really happened, right? Because that really works with him being completely useless.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Make a really subtle prompt right at the end, as the screen is fading out and the player thinks they're done. Missed? Have fun fighting the final boss again!

Something like that actually happened in Drakengard 1 rhythm boss. Look at the end of the sequence.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

Wait, Verdelet made his pact with a petrified dragon, didn't he? I'd completely forgotten about that until now, that's a thing that really happened, right? Because that really works with him being completely useless.

Hey now, a petrified dragon is useful. It could be used as a doorstop, or tie one end of a hammock to it. Or, realizing you're in the biggest crapsack despair-ridden world possible; use it to smash your skull to pudding and end the pain before the cannibal space babies come back.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XII-2: In Which This Winter Seriously Needs to End Already. Goddammit!

Hey! HEY! Don't you shrug at me Dito! What the gently caress is this poo poo?! I've used the dumb fake kill everyone gag in like every LP I've done. In fact, I'm positive I did it in Drakengard 2 too! Think I wouldn't notice, you jerks? I expect my check in the mail any day now, Taro Yoko! :argh:

Music: Antipurity - Battleground

Stupid pussy snow. I wasn't yelling that loudly.
Seriously? She's blaming the snow?
What was that?
Uh, nothing? Nothing at all. Whew! Looks like the wind's finally died down a bit.
Yeah. Let's hope it stays that way.

Now that the party has taken an avalanche ride to the bottom of a ravine, they'll need to climb their way out of the hole they've dug. As luck would have it, a series of conveniently placed platforms and derelict but stable scaffolding is lining the cliff face forward.

A short bit of platforming will reveal a few hapless soldiers. The guys have the most rotten luck of the whole army what with vading otherworldly possession, braving the sub-zero temperatures, and surviving an avalanche down a sheer cliff drop. All only to run face first into a more irritated than usual Zero. Bad day to be an enlisted man.

Following a brief bit of mountain climbing, Zero and Dito encounter a less than friendly grizzled mountain man in the form of a Titan. It's been a whole year since we've seen one of these jerks and their fancy hats. Fancy hat that is making me want to go play more Bloodborne. I should finish this up and go play more Bloodborne. It's a good game! Y'know. Other than having even shittier load times than this shoestring budget of a game made by noted less than competent development studio...

Hey. That thing was created with Intoner magic.
Huh. Neat. Must be something nearby worth protecting then.
Wouldn't that be awfully convenient to just stumble upon something of use after that whole avalanche deal?
Less talking, more killing.
Really? I'm the only one questioning this?

This is not a second tier Titan or anything special. It's the same exact creature as back in the prologue when Michael was our dragon wingman. The only difference is that Zero is significantly weaker than she was back then. Having to replace a severed arm with a symbiotic parasite grafted onto a metal prosthetic and depth perception going out the window due to flower eyepatch will do a number on one's combat ability. Who'd a thunk it?

Huh... Missing a right eye and having a metal left arm...? When does the Drakengard 3 DLC drop in The Phantom Pain?

Where the hell have you been, dummy!?
Well, the sky was all white with snow and stuff, you know? I was flying really hard, and the next thing I knew, I was two mountain ranges away from you! And while I was over there, I ran into this really strange dragon, and then--
Just shut up and give me a hand already!

Zero never seems to have patience to properly fight any titans. It's always about pulling out the big guns and summoning a dragon as soon as one pops up. I guess it's beneath her to deal with a Chapter 0 mini-boss. At least the frame rate this go around is keeping it together. Not-Spain and The Land of Seas have both always ran like utter garbage for me. The other areas in the game are... passable at the very least. Most of the time... Usually... At least staying out of the single-digit slideshows.

You don't need to tell me that every drat time!
Did you miss me while I was gone? Huh? Were you lonely?
Yeah, I cried until my eyes bled. Quit talking like some pussy-whipped boyfriend, would you?
What's "pussy-whipped" mean?
Dito seems to like teaching you things lately. Ask him. He would know pretty well.
Oh ha-ha! Yeah, pick on the guy stuck putting up with you Intoners' freaky magic crap!

With the combined efforts of Mikhail's fireball spamming and a viscous kicking in the shins by Zero (and... Dito lending moral support by running in circles) the Titan is successfully decapitated. Don't ask me how that works. You see the head popping off. Intoner magic has the quality workmanship of a sub-contractor of a sub-contractor from China.

After the battle concludes...

A big stone came out of the ground. It came out of the ground, Zero!
Yeah, no poo poo. Why...?
Maybe because we took care of that big guy?
Why would those things be linked?
We're questioning this, but how freaky magic singing makes a 20 foot blood filled robot move around and attack? Say, Z. Why can't you do any of that sort of Intoner stuff...? You holding back or...?
Tch... Shut up. What's with the over-sized tablet?

Read it.
Yeah, yeah. Hold on. Let's see here...
"The jewel bearing the revered one ascends to the heavens from Mt. Bernstein of the Vice Norden, leaving a silvery shadow in its wake."
You wanna try that again in English?
What do you think it means?
Your guess is as good as mine. But I know that I've definitely heard of Mt. Bernstein of the Vice Norden before.

Yay! We're going to Mt. Whatever! :buddy:

Well, I suppose Mt. Bernstein of the Vice Norden Mt. Whatever is more of a lead than... aimlessly wandering a snow-capped mountain range for several hours. You'd think by this point Four would have just pissed off to the Cathedral City. I'm fairly certain, at the rate of strategic planning Zero is running this operation so far, she'd just give the whole Prologue scenario another go.

Anyway that takes care of Verse 4. On to the penultimate mission of the chapter! :toot:

Video: Verse 4 Highlight Reel (Part 2)

Dito and Zero Illustration - Just hanging out after a tough day of murder. Well Zero at least. I think Dito's kill count is still at just Five.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2015

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

If Nier was Cavia's swan-song, then Bulletwitch was its death-rattle.

Imagine a really bad third-person shooter, with a janky frame-rate (better than Drakengard 3, but still not great), enemies that are bullet sponges, really stiff controls, an awkward camera, and a half-hearted physics engine which will always work in the enemies favour (it's possible to push poo poo telekinetically, but it has a tendency to rebound on the level geometry and hit you instead). Like, Dirge of Cerberus, is a much better shooter than this.

You get magic spells, the majority of which are functionally almost useless or never worth the time to use because, they either; don't last long enough, do too little damage, or take too long to take effect. Oh, and the most powerful spell has an AOE, which you can be caught up in, and killed from. The game also gives you a dodge that doesn't provide I-Frames, nor actually makes Alicia move much distance, and generally makes her somersault into the line of fire.

You get a few NPC allies who will fight alongside you, but they're about as useful in Bulletwitch, as they are in Drakengard 3...except without the invulnerablity, or teleportation (meaning they will often get stuck in hallways or doors or whatever).

The final boss takes anywhere between 15 mins and an hour, depending on how you upgraded a certain gun, and another boss has an annoying gimmick on a level where it's possible to plummet to your death. (And you will plummet and die).

Drakengard 1's gameplay was monotonous, but Bulletwitch was just excruciating frustration.

The "story" is probably the best bit, using the word, "best" extremely loosely. Basically it's a Cavia story;
A man loses his daughter in an accident, and seeks to resurrect her. So he studies some books on black magic, and opens up a hell-gate, using himself as the focal point, which keeps him undead, trapped, unable to move, and in constant agony, to keep the gate open.

The demons come through and kill nearly everyone, leaving only a rag-tag bunch of resistance fighters, and Alicia, the titular Bulletwtich.

She's got amnesia, the personality of toast, has a disembodied voice who acts as her guide, and seeks to close the hell-gate to end the threat. She meets a fighter called MAX COUGAR, who acts as a glorifed chauffeur, and takes her places to kill people. And that's the gist of it, more or less.

Apparently an LP was done as part of the bad video games thread ~2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxwQtNMtARo

Spoiler Alert: It is really bad

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 25, 2015

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
A really strange dragon?

I am sure thats not important

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

DeafNote posted:

A really strange dragon?

I'm guessing he found a really big mirror. :v:

"It was a really strange dragon, it copied my every move exactly but never spoke!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

McDragon posted:

I'm guessing he found a really big mirror. :v:

"It was a really strange dragon, it copied my every move exactly but never spoke!"

Sad thing is, that wouldn't even be out of character for Mikhail at this point. Poor guy when he realizes his new friend is just himself, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Yay! We're going to Mt. Whatever! :buddy:
I love our big dumb baby dragon companion. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

A really strange dragon?

I was going to make a snide comment about Drakengard(!) 4(!) being about "Likhaim" raising some stupid kid who kills the world. But Likhaim is a much better name than Legna

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

I'm so excited to go to Mt. Whatever! :downs:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Dito, please...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
And Zero has successfully been distracted. Four is a strategic genius.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Dark Id posted:

Dito, please...
I was playing one of the prologue DLCs this week and had the disciple following me slingshot into the mini-boss room.

Exactly the kind of proactive action I like to see my from allies.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I was going to make a snide comment about Drakengard(!) 4(!) being about "Likhaim" raising some stupid kid who kills the world. But Likhaim is a much better name than Legna

Mazel Tov!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Anime Reference posted:

And Zero has successfully been distracted. Four is a strategic genius.

It's not like it's hard to distract her. Put some dudes with blood and intact organs in front of her, instantly goes right for it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Dito, please...

Is there some more map beyond that wall? Is he targeting something that if the pathing was programmed right he could theoretically do something? Or is this something that I have a very hard time deciding is worthy of either :downs: or :ughh:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
The expedition to Mt. Whatever is going to be grand, I know it.

The Dark Id posted:

Dito, please...
He can't escape this nightmare no matter how hard he keeps running.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Dark Id posted:

Hey. That thing was created with Intoner magic.
Huh. Neat. Must be something nearby worth protecting then.
Wouldn't that be awfully convenient to just stumble upon something of use after that whole avalanche deal?
Less talking, more killing.
Really? I'm the only one questioning this?

I feel obliged to point out that the segment after the avalanche consists of climbing back up to the other side of the bridge that broke before you go fight the titan...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ArclightBorealis posted:

The expedition to Mt. Whatever is going to be grand, I know it.

It's funny now, but if the next mission is named "Journey to Mt. Whatever" or something it'll be hilarious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DeafNote posted:

A really strange dragon?

How long do dragons live, barring violent deaths?
In other words, any chance said dragon is the best character* in the trilogy?

*before any rear end in a top hat comments that Caim is not a dragon, he and Red share first place.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"Stupid pussy snow" might be my favorite insult so far.
Honestly the fact that a lot of these lines simply exist might be comedy in and of itself.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

forbidden lesbian posted:

get your tvtropes bullshit out of any thread where i can see it you raging human being

Hey rear end in a top hat Flanderization was term before that website existed.

Aren't dragons kind of rare in this universe you think zero would pay attention when on is brought up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

cokerpilot posted:

Aren't dragons kind of rare in this universe you think zero would pay attention when on is brought up.

Ehhh, during Drakengard 1, doesn't the Empire of Not-Spain have literal ARMIES of imperial dragons? They seem kind of like a dime a dozen, though actually powerful ones like Mikhail or Red are a rarity.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

See, I've been one of the ones joking that Cavia read all the other Drakengard LPs and just wrote the script for this one with TDI's gags pre-included.

Now I'm not so sure it's a joke. :catstare:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I can see why you don't put in a bit more soldier banter. It's not only unsubtitled, but it tends to get muted out by our "heroes" speaking up over them.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mazed posted:

See, I've been one of the ones joking that Cavia read all the other Drakengard LPs and just wrote the script for this one with TDI's gags pre-included.

Now I'm not so sure it's a joke. :catstare:
Yeah it's...getting pretty loving scary how much...of this game is...following Dark Id's kinda storytelling hhheheh :stonklol:

AradoBalanga posted:

I love our big dumb baby dragon companion. :allears:
Truly the best dragon we have ever had in gaming. I mean okay Paarthurnax was pretty rad but baby dwaggie oh my god :3:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

Truly the best dragon we have ever had in gaming. I mean okay Paarthurnax was pretty rad but baby dwaggie oh my god :3:
Oh gods. The mental image of that combo.

Zero, I am hiif... helping! You shouldn't krii... kill your briinah. Sisters.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Of course, there's the unavoidable downside of the fact that there is no way in hell that the baby dragon is going to avoid something horrible happening to him, given the way these games go. (Then again, with the tone this game's been going for, who knows?)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Renditious posted:

Of course, there's the unavoidable downside of the fact that there is no way in hell that the baby dragon is going to avoid something horrible happening to him, given the way these games go. (Then again, with the tone this game's been going for, who knows?)

It's just trying to get you to let down your guard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Renditious posted:

Maybe the big twist of the game is that it actually ends happily for all the heroes!

:smith:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Danaru posted:

Maybe the big twist of the game is that it actually ends happily for all the heroes!

:smith:

Honestly that would be terrifying, because it could only mean that instead reality itself had become Drakengard, and soon the skies would rend and pour forth giant hell babies.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
There's also the issue that I strongly doubt there's anyone in this game who can be described as "hero".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Considering Mikhail has been stabbed in the head at least once already I don't think we need to worry that terrible things won't happen to him; they're already happening.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, at this point its not a question of what horrible thing will happen to him, but rather whats going to have a noticeable effect. So far everything zero does has either been met with complaining or cheerful obliviousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually like the design of the titan's. They look pretty strange and nonfunctional which is okay for a giant metal golem fueled purely by magic. Dunno why they all come with shadowy hats though.

• Locked thread