Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sellouts posted:

Best part of these planes, you'd have to really try to hit something that isn't a suitable runway!

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, like choppy water :v:

Actually the water shown is probably the worst to land on; glassy calm water destroys your ability to determine how high above it you are when landing and will require more work/power to break the floats free of the water on takeoff. Although this pic shows some wind and I expect there's more "texture" to the water out where you'd actually land.

In related news, getting a seaplane rating added to your airplane rating is only like 6 hours of training and a lot of fun. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're right. Both of those pictures don't accurately represent the landing area in Male. They're taken from behind breakers / reefs and thus super calm.

The water is still really calm out there for a sea but it's not glass. I do think you could land basically anywhere.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The image on Wikipedia for 1248 gets me every single time. The sign that reads MIDWAY and is pointing to the aircraft? just so absurd.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

By the way, can someone ID this plane for me? Swerington or something?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Do-228

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Seriously? That's sweet!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

simplefish posted:

Lift squares, but so does drag

So you get a 152 that needs 600 knots scaled to take off, but you also get a 152 that CAN do 600 knots scaled

You also run into cube square law, and reynolds numbers trouble.

Air starts behaving very badly at small chord lengths.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Apologies for the terrible picture, but is this a cyclone I've spotted? I didn't know any had been delivered yet. HMCS Halifax in St. John's if it matters.

Edit: got closer and answered my own question

Niven fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Niven posted:

Edit: got closer and answered my own question

so uh, you gonna share your answer with the rest of us?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Presumably either a cyclone or a very broken s92, testing I guess?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Years ago I spotted this little LA-4 seaplane down by the Mississippi River here in Memphis. The current isn't too rough but apparently the pilot landed it and was able to drag it up on the cobblestones.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Best Airbus aircraft so far, I don't care if it doesn't fly:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Lately I've been playing around with a cheap software-defined radio dongle and using it as an ADS-B/Mode S receiver. I live less than 5 miles from (and right in the approach path of) Bangor International Airport in Maine, so I can frequently just click the mouse a couple of times and find out exactly what plane is flying over my house at any given time.

If an aircraft is equipped with ADS-B, the Virtual Radar Server software will lovingly place it on a Google Maps overlay and display as much pertinent information as it can. If the aircraft is just sporting Mode S, you'll still get a lot of cool information, but no physical location, since a Mode S transponder doesn't transmit GPS data like ADS-B does.

In either case, it's pretty drat cool, and I highly recommend making the meager investment in the dongle and then making one of the antennae shown on the RTL-SDR.com tutorial page. I've made both the collinear coax and the quarter-wave ground plane, and the performance of both seems about equal - but I have them inside at the moment, because it's loving cold and snowy outside and there's no way I'm going to try mounting one outside until at least July at this rate. Even with the antenna inside, though, I'm picking up signals from up to 100 miles away. Light traffic at the moment, but here's a picture of what's nearby right this minute:

Funny that N406XJ is in the area right now...I have spent many, many hours of my life doing avionics installations in that particular airframe. Does my heart good to see it happily buzzing around. :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've had an SDR for a while, they're freaking awesome. I'm looking forward to our local airshow where we'll tune into the action. Blue Angels last year were trippy. 1080p projector + SDR + Blue Angels flying over the backyard = way more fun than being there in person.

ADSB I get about 200 miles on a good day. I've got a homemade quarter wave antenna made from coat hangers that runs into an FM trap and then an rg6 adapter into the dongle. It sits in the ceiling of my garage and picks up everything. Police channels all over town, both local airport towers, etc etc. I've picked up aircraft from several states away occasionally.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
They moved the plane that ran off the runway at LGA to storage for the NTSB:

Dang!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Stepped out to the plane today, listened to ATIS and heard that the main parallel taxiway was "covered in ice," walked back inside. Good day.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Dang!

Speed tape. Lots and lots of speed tape.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Dang!

How many pig mats do airports stock?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That's a full on barrier kit kinda spill.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

That's a full on barrier kit kinda spill.

Melted snow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dang!

The NYT article has some more detail.

quote:

On Thursday, at the height of a snowstorm, Delta Air Lines Flight 1086 touched down on Runway 13 shortly after 11 a.m., veering out of control almost instantly.

It skidded off to the left and then careened up an earthen berm, crashed through a fence, and came to a stop just moments before plunging into the frigid bay.

None of the 127 passengers and five crew members were seriously injured, but many passengers described a few harrowing minutes.

Theres also a graphic that shows where the plane ended up well off to the side of the runway. This accident has happened before at LGA during snowstorms, I suspect the NTSB is going to have some serious words about when we should be closing airports during winter storms.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

This accident has happened before at LGA during snowstorms, I suspect the NTSB is going to have some serious words about when we should be closing airports during winter storms.

...which will probably be screamed about by the airlines and ignored by the FAA.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?

Prop Wash posted:

Stepped out to the plane today, listened to ATIS and heard that the main parallel taxiway was "covered in ice," walked back inside. Good day.

Pfft I landed on an ice runway last Saturday, no big deal.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

RCR of.....not going flying.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Speed tape. Lots and lots of speed tape.

I still crack up every time I think about the fact that I'm associated with a military airplane where there are official depot-authorized repair procedures that consist of "cover the entire front of the plane in speed tape."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

which plane?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I can recall at least one instance where maintenance patched up a literal hole in the wing with speed tape. We took the jet. She flew great that day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

simplefish posted:

which plane?

MQ-1/-9 (the particular instance I'm thinking of is on the -9 but it's totally a thing on the -1 as well since that's just a glorified R/C plane).

But like holly bloopers said it's not unheard of on other platforms....the relative area covered with speed tape is a little bit different in my world though, compared to planes that are powered by something without a prop.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jazzahn posted:

Pfft I landed on an ice runway last Saturday, no big deal.

Taking off and landing doesn't scare me so much as taxiing, since our nose gear steering wheel was on the side with the initial qualification student :v: Steering with power only is pretty fun when you've got 4 turboprops, but in Arkansas, planes and cars follow the same rule about driving on ice: you're not the danger, the idiots around you are.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

From old Life: A pilot while on approach has a stroke and dies, the man in the copilot's seat having never piloted anything then must land the plane. It was a Cessna 180 and it was landed at Cheyenne, Wyoming, but still.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

flightsimmerswetdream.txt

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
If you have not done at least one speed tape job as A/C mechanic your missing out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So... Airport 1975 then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

slidebite posted:

flightsimmerswetdream.txt

Speaking of a flight-simmer's wet dream: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140017

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

:woop:

Hopefully there's also an avionics-lite version for beginners.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Here's to hoping the F-14A comes with the original TF30s so you can get the real life or death experience of flying a F-14.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sanguine posted:

Hopefully there's also an avionics-lite version for beginners.

I'm hoping more for a "working engines" version for beginners.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPonvcsrm0M

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-08/qantas-jumbo-arrives-at-wollongong/6288748

quote:

A Qantas jumbo jet has made history, landing at a regional airport in New South Wales to become the first 747-400 in the world to go on public display.

The City of Canberra was retired to Wollongong after 25 years of service and will become a prized addition to an aviation museum based at Illawarra Regional Airport.

Thousands of people gathered in and around the small airport to watch the landing.

The crowd cheered and applauded as the Boeing 747-400 made a tricky landing on the short and narrow runway, which at 1,800 metres is less than half the length of Sydney Airport's runways.

Illawarra Airport's runway is also just 30 metres wide but the aircraft has a wingspan of 64 metres, so the two outside engines hung over the runway's edge on landing.

The Canberra left Sydney Airport and flew at just 4,000 feet and at a much slower speed than usual for its 15-minute hop down to Wollongong.

"It's a very historic aircraft and it forms a huge part of Qantas' history and I'm just proud to have been involved in its last flight down here today."

The Canberra is the oldest aircraft in the Qantas fleet and holds the record for the longest ever non-stop commercial flight for its trip from London to Sydney in 1989.

Captain Rob Greenop was one of the four pilots who flew on that record-breaking flight, and he said he was happy the Canberra was not sent to a "plane graveyard" in the United States, as usually happens to decommissioned aircraft.

"It's sad to see the old girl put out to pasture but it's nice to see her here rather than the sands in Nevada waiting to be broken up," Captain Greenop said.

"It's great to be here from the beginning to the end."

The plane has flown 85 million kilometres, which is equivalent to 110 return trips to the moon.

A different story on how it was planned:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/how-qantas-plans-to-land-a-boeing-747-near-wollongong-20150305-13vuyq.html

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 8, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

110 return trips to the moon sounds like an awful lot. What plane has the highest record for mileage?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

110 return trips to the moon sounds like an awful lot. What plane has the highest record for mileage?

Probably a B-52 or E-3. (Russia wasn't as big on 24/7 flying alerts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt any single B-52 would have had the same type of uptime as a long range commercial airliner