Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If by "touching," you mean "touched in the head," because it was a story of a bunch of incredibly pathetic whiners. No sympathy deserved.
'my life was ruined by a fascist capitalist guy so i want to kill him' is one of the more sympathetic motivations in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I think I just got Olivier for real in Trails FC and I googled him and got more than I bargained for

"eldest Erebonian prince"

I definitely laughed out loud at this, now I want to see where this goes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh it goes places.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Why did you google a character's name? Asking for trouble in a plot heavy series like this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IceBorg posted:

Why did you google a character's name? Asking for trouble in a plot heavy series like this.

To be fair not every immediately realises this is the kind of series where you think you can safely google something like "best orbments trails FC" and the top result is spoilers for the next fives games in an AI-generated listicle.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

'my life was ruined by a fascist capitalist guy so i want to kill him' is one of the more sympathetic motivations in the series

That's not how I would describe her family's land getting eminent-domained with fair compensation to build a railroad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh also, playing Reverie, I notice that my BP seems to be limited in capacity - in spoilers if necessary, can someone say when I can have a full BP wheel?

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 8, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey guys, I don't know if you heard, but according to the church, the police force, several members of royalty, random jaegers, incarnate gods and random people on the street Agate should really date Tita. They haven't stressed it enough yet so I figure maybe they need to have another thousand people point it out.

Also I'm pretty sure one of Ash's skills is mistranslated because it sure doesn't give +50 CP

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 8, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Oh also, playing Reverie, I notice that my BP seems to be limited in capacity - in spoilers if necessary, can someone say when I can have a full BP wheel?

It's an optional upgrade. You'll know how to get it early on, and then it's just up to you to decide when. The very earliest I suppose would be in Chapter 2, but that's unlikely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That's not how I would describe her family's land getting eminent-domained with fair compensation to build a railroad.

True enough but its touching on some real struggles that industrialisation causes and something like that does completely change lives and has throughout history. Sure it's a pretty dramatic response but I think the whole thing comes off pretty sympathetic because it is reflecting on something very real seeming.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Also I'm pretty sure one of Ash's skills is mistranslated because it sure doesn't give +50 CP

I think it's always said that, it gives him one of those CP recovery buffs where he gains some after his turn is over. I am pretty sure it is 50? It might not kick in until the turn after though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hey guys, I don't know if you heard, but according to the church, the police force, several members of royalty, random jaegers, incarnate gods and random people on the street Agate should really date Tita. They haven't stressed it enough yet so I figure maybe they need to have another thousand people point it out.

is that still a thing, i thought they were (regrettably) already an item by late CS

trails the 3rd was 16 years ago, this is the worst running gag

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am having a hard time getting into Reverie and I think it is because gameplay-wise it seems to really want you to feel like you're an actual endgame JRPG party but story-wise it's still doing the exact same poo poo. It probably would bother me less if Rean's first chapter wasn't basically slamming its fist down hard on the "Sure, you were strong, but you weren't as strong as THIS NPC" from the getgo. Just let your protagonists be strong Falcom! You can still make NPCs cool and strong without it involving talking down to the people you are playing as.

Oxxidation posted:

is that still a thing, i thought they were (regrettably) already an item by late CS

trails the 3rd was 16 years ago, this is the worst running gag

Yeah, it shows up early in Reverie where everyone is like "Oh those two are the PERFECT couple aren't they so innocent they don't even realize what a perfect couple they are" except Tita's mom who wants to castrate Agate for being too close to her daughter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rean's first chapter is about the kids using team work and being very cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rean's first chapter is about the kids using team work and being very cool

I would like it roughly 100% more if Rean wasn't involved TBH. "Class VII has to learn to stand on their own" would feel like a much better way to reexplore the world than "Rean, literal certified Divine Blade, is told he kind of sucks."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway Reverie has very good Rean content and I think his chapter 1 works well into his overall thing throughout the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway Reverie has very good Rean content and I think his chapter 1 works well into his overall thing throughout the game.

Well, hopefully it gets better. I admit the Link bug thing is kind of sapping my will to play, it feels pretty poo poo to know a good chunk of the cast is broken.

Edit: I also admittedly am not feeling the cross-story thing either. It feels extremely weird to me that they require you to go through all the tutorials twice (even if the tutorials don't pop up) instead of just making better use of the time before you unlock your chapter split so you don't need to make the first two dungeons explain the same mechanics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 9, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Don't want to spoil anything and because maybe with a new translation i'll feel differently but I was pretty impressed with how Reverie managed to tie Rean's arc together. After 4 games of never really getting to the place I felt it needed to get to, it got there.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It continues to be really jarring when one line in a scene has voice acting but the rest of it doesn't

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

People have managed to figure out a workaround for the Link bug for Steam: by downloading the t_linkab.tbl file from the English patch for Hajimari and replacing the file in the install folder, it works as it should.

That patch is still out there, somewhere on the net, but you know, files and all that

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lets all just play the spreadsheet translation

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'll just do the thing where I haven't touched Azure in a month or however long it's been but I'll get there eventually and maybe it'll be patched.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So, real quick - for the third part of the three-part battle in Reverie, Act 1, Rean's path, does the "win in 30 turns" bit mean "win before the turn counter hits 19"? EDIT: Yes. Won on Action Count 26, got 5 bonus RP.

ImpAtom posted:

I am having a hard time getting into Reverie and I think it is because gameplay-wise it seems to really want you to feel like you're an actual endgame JRPG party but story-wise it's still doing the exact same poo poo. It probably would bother me less if Rean's first chapter wasn't basically slamming its fist down hard on the "Sure, you were strong, but you weren't as strong as THIS NPC" from the getgo. Just let your protagonists be strong Falcom! You can still make NPCs cool and strong without it involving talking down to the people you are playing as.

The game tells us to go upgrade your stuff, and synth new quartz and such, but you have like no money and pretty much no sepith, so unless you grind to the end of the first dungeon and run back, you're not going to have good stuff. At least you do start out with a full set of quartz.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 9, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So I've only completed the prologue and Lloyd's first chapter and I've already hosed up getting all the battle notes because of a dumb rookie mistake that I should know better than to commit by now. :negative:

I see that Pom Party is back. I do not understand Pom Party. In previous games there has been almost zero explanation and no tutorial. So even the first opponent utterly crushes me. I stopped even trying to play it in the later games. I sure hope Reverie does a better job of trying to teach me how to play it but I'm not holding my breath. Just another minigame that I'm gonna end up skipping, probably.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's just bad Puyo Puyo. Connect three of the same color to clear them, if a clear results in stuff falling into place for another clear you get more points, if your clear touches a shining pom those get cleared too and give bonus points, you can trade in your points for attacks (force-raise opponent's field) or defense (force-clear rows of your field). If there isn't enough space in the top middle to spawn more pieces you lose.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

...! posted:

So I've only completed the prologue and Lloyd's first chapter and I've already hosed up getting all the battle notes because of a dumb rookie mistake that I should know better than to commit by now. :negative:

I see that Pom Party is back. I do not understand Pom Party. In previous games there has been almost zero explanation and no tutorial. So even the first opponent utterly crushes me. I stopped even trying to play it in the later games. I sure hope Reverie does a better job of trying to teach me how to play it but I'm not holding my breath. Just another minigame that I'm gonna end up skipping, probably.

It's literally all luck-based. You can play amazingly well, with super combos all over the place, and get absolutely nowhere because the opponent is clearing even better than you, or you can struggle to get even a meager amount of matches and win out of nowhere.

Endorph posted:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

True enough but its touching on some real struggles that industrialisation causes and something like that does completely change lives and has throughout history. Sure it's a pretty dramatic response but I think the whole thing comes off pretty sympathetic because it is reflecting on something very real seeming.

The series as a whole is full of characters who suffer tremendous loss and hardships in backstory, but they pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and keep going. It's hard not to compare those losses to (CS 2, Finale chapter) Scarlet's family, who had their lands confiscated by eminent domain for a major public works project, were paid a tremendous amount of money, but despite that, seemingly just withered away and died because they couldn't find even one single okay place to live in the entire country. So many other people have suffered through far worse things without getting any compensation at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 9, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't have Reverie yet, and will probably wait for a patch (loving NISA), but that one person being in the cover... does the game finally advance the main plot of the series regarding this character? Like, not looking for big spoilers, but Nayuta being localized in the same time frame while this character is in the cover can't end in a nothing burger, right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They show up to provide some vague foreshadowing for the next arc but are not involved in any major way

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, those bastards! It just had to be a nothingburger.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

They even did that with voiced lines like Mireille's name.

To be fair, at least Mireille's name is a case of them correcting something they'd gotten wrong previously in CS3 and CS4. It would've been nice if they could've re-recorded the voiced lines with errors from CS3 and CS4 (there are at least a couple more I can think of) while they had the VAs in for Reverie and released patches for the older games, I suppose, but maybe that's easier said than done.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Character on cover: Grandmaster has a scene late about how they're moving onto a new epic "plan (final orpheus or something)" Also make basically a non-interference pact with Gramhard (president of Calvard) for 2-3 years which they actually do mostly honor after playing Kuro 1+2

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 9, 2023

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If there's a green tick next to an enemy in the notebook I got the scan right?

I had to retry a boss in Rean's path and forgot to rescan but it's still showing as ticked, maybe from when I scanned before the retry?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah green tick is fully scanned

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes, and yes scan info is kept between retries. And you unlock scan info bit by bit as you beat on an enemy so even if you hadn't scanned during the first fight you would most definitely have gotten all the info through two tries (one is usually enough anyway)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Thank you retry option for preserving my scan. I was not looking forward to doing the fight again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
(Reverie - Act 1, C Route - start)

Personal Opinion: I'm sure that somewhere out there are people who just adore overly cutesy child characters. I am not among that number. This has been a personal opinion. I am entitled to have personal opinions, and I do not care about opinions to the contrary.

Terper posted:

Yes, and yes scan info is kept between retries. And you unlock scan info bit by bit as you beat on an enemy so even if you hadn't scanned during the first fight you would most definitely have gotten all the info through two tries (one is usually enough anyway)

If you're talking about the boss Rean fights twice in Act 1 - Rean Part 1, I think those are two separate scans because I did scan them the first time and they were still all ??? the second time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

(Reverie - Act 1, C Route - start)

Personal Opinion: I'm sure that somewhere out there are people who just adore overly cutesy child characters. I am not among that number. This has been a personal opinion. I am entitled to have personal opinions, and I do not care about opinions to the contrary.

If you're talking about the boss Rean fights twice in Act 1 - Rean Part 1, I think those are two separate scans because I did scan them the first time and they were still all ??? the second time.

I don't inherently hate them but do you really need two on the same team?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nadia and Lapis get better. Nadia almost immediately, Lapis a bit later.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ImpAtom posted:

I don't inherently hate them but do you really need two on the same team?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nadia is very intimidating