Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EdsonCGuido/status/1426458098248474624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

Seriously if you just bought the account how the hell did you not pick the name Eric Crackl-Ping.

Fix this mods

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mod sassinator posted:

this is more batshit wild than anything antimask karens spew at protests

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/homeland-security-warns-fresh-covid-19-restrictions-could-spark-violent-attacks-2021-08-13/

quote:

WASHINGTON, Aug 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, in a new terrorism warning bulletin, said violent extremists could view the reimposition of COVID-19-related restrictions following the spread of coronavirus variants as a rationale to conduct attacks.

the DHS says mask mandates and such will spark more terrorism attacks

LMFAO

shut down and defund the loving DHS please

Golden Bee posted:

It's true. Domestic terror

Already happening here in Australia

quote:

Police investigating alleged tampering threat against SPC after COVID-19 vaccination mandate

Police in Victoria are investigating an alleged threat of food tampering made against the first company in Australia to mandate COVID-19 vaccines for all its staff.

Chief executive of SPC, Robert Giles, said a video relating to product contamination was sent to the company's social media during the week.

"We've seen in the media in the past years how serious that tampering with food products is," Mr Giles said.

"It's actually a jailable offence and we take that type of responsibility to our product and the safety of our product extremely seriously."

Shepparton Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating whether an offence has occurred.

People found guilty of malicious food contamination can face up to 15 years in jail.

[...]
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-14/police-investigating-alleged-threat-spc-covid-vaccination/100377582

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

re: is it worth it to send kids back - I have no doubt that the kids are getting screwed over by remote learning. I’m sure there’s going to be measurable differences to previous generations. weighed against the alternative, though, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I have that long hauler thing, and nothing in my entire existence has so drastically altered and diminished my life than chronic brain fog. it’s been absolutely devastating. Had a full neuropsych eval - previously had an IQ of 142, measured after getting sick its 118. All the other areas of my brain and work up are what they were, except short term memory and processing speed are now in the bottom 1% of the population, and so diminished as to offset the entire rest of the results by that many points - it’s like my brain doesn’t belong to me anymore. dizziness, major nausea/GI symptoms, reaction speed, tremors, can’t think straight - any kind of moment to moment thought is drastically lower, I have to have things explained to me 8 times that I could’ve previously picked up after 1. my ability to form new memories and learn new things is wrecked - I’m just glad I got it I’m my late 20s rather than as a kid, because a lot of the stuff I already learned I kept, it’s forming new things that’s almost impossible.

I’ve had trouble holding a job, and at the age of 30 had to move back in with my parents. I take 20 pills a day. my mental health is tenable at best.

if you love your kids, don’t send them back to school. it’s not worth it.

Long covid is the worst and makes me feel like I'm in Memento sometimes. When I was getting a ride to get my shot on Thursday I was thinking "Ok, store's down this street. No wait, it's down the next street," even though it had always been down the next street my entire life and I'd gone there hundreds of times before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

The gbs covid thread is violence. Why did I look?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

just had a dream where I went to get a third shot and everything went smoothly but they had somehow pulled up my info after the fact and were asking me why I had two already.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Actively doing something that has 1/10th of a 1% chance of killing you seems way scarier to most people then not doing anything, even when inaction has a 10% chance of killing you. This is because humans are actually really loving stupid and intelligence is a cruel evolutionary mistake.

I think this is the fault of public health messaging through this thing. You don’t need to worry about covid if you’re not old or sick or possessed of a pre-existing condition. Plus, you’re not going to get covid anyway, because it is made up/you follow the science and know that we already hit herd immunity because 70% of adults in your county have had one shot.

Because you can’t get covid and you wouldn’t feel it if you did based on the above assumptions, that means there’s no risk to you from covid. That .00000000000001 chance of vaccine death, or 1.0 chance based on what you read on the internet, represents an infinitely larger danger than the no danger you were already in, so you’d have to be crazy to risk it. Either way, you shouldn’t have to wear a mask, and you should throw a huge fit if anyone does.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

https://komonews.com/news/local/watershed-music-festival-linked-to-more-than-160-covid-19-cases-throughout-two-states

Lmao

Washington state went whole hog moron the moment the CDc said masks off and we ain't goin back

LMAO the loving Gorge. That's right by me, extra glad I got my vaccine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The argument against boosters "Poor countries" need it so dubious.

Do people like WHO seriously think the US will be rounding surplus stock off the shelf of the local Publix and Walgreens, then shipping it overseas to Africa?

The US + plus other rich western nations have already eaten a lion's share of Pfizer and other companies MFG bandwidth regardless if the dumb locals are planning to get vaccinated.

I noticed the local public had ads for Moderna being offered so I'll probably do my own gamefaq speedrun in Sept time frame (got 2nd dose in April)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

Do people like WHO seriously think the US will be rounding surplus stock off the shelf of the local Publix and Walgreens, then shipping it overseas to Africa?

The US + plus other rich western nations have already eaten a lion's share of Pfizer and other companies MFG bandwidth regardless if the dumb locals are planning to get vaccinated.

I noticed the local public had ads for Moderna being offered so I'll probably do my own gamefaq speedrun in Sept time frame (got 2nd dose in April)

I agree. The Global South does need vaccines, but prohibiting Americans from getting third shots isn't going to do it, because America was never shipping-out that many doses to begin with.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree. The Global South does need vaccines, but prohibiting Americans from getting third shots isn't going to do it, because America was never shipping-out that many doses to begin with.

Yeah even Dr John Campbell said as much in his video, expecting the west to box up and ship out surplus is not going to happen in a million years.

Pharma companies are For Profit so they could also care less about global south, they want to just jack up their prices and get paid by rich western countries who are
at the front of the line due to outbiding other countries.

Also many states like Alabama destroyed stock this month (85000 doses) due being past the shelf life.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AceOfFlames posted:

I got really confused for a minute there as to why Justin McElroy was commenting on Australian vaccines until I realized it wasn't THAT Justin McElroy.

British Columbia is in Canada and I have no idea who the other Justin is but the good one changed his name to Justin "Charts" McElroy for a while to avoid confusion.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Well yeah only approx half of Americans have had both doses, so that’s a lot of vaccine sitting unused that was earmarked to go in American arms.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helith posted:

Well yeah only approx half of Americans have had both doses, so that’s a lot of vaccine sitting unused that was earmarked to go in American arms.

lol, the US already signed multi-million dollars contracts for 2022 (Additional 200 million doses from Pfizer Alone)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Remembering that one guy in New York that was on his fourth shot back when only the rich and famous could get any shots at all. Truly a visionary

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

lol, yes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
cool

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

etalian posted:

that star wars anakin meme but it's "so we're waiving the IP for mRNA shots right?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crepeface posted:

that star wars anakin meme but it's "so we're waiving the IP for mRNA shots right?"

COVAX also predictability turned out to be a low energy Jeb! like initiative

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

It's ok. Your state isn't dying from covid, it's dying with covid.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

so if I'm looking to move to vermont, I should eyeball the orange counties for less chudleyness?

Mike the TV posted:

Remembering that one guy in New York that was on his fourth shot back when only the rich and famous could get any shots at all. Truly a visionary

his blood is at least 95% effective now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

lol, the US already signed multi-million dollars contracts for 2022 (Additional 200 million doses from Pfizer Alone)

Will those delta boosters make it in time for the Andromeda variant

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"The chance of permanent damage to the twin towers seems high", expert states on 10/11-01

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/14/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html posted:

'This is starting to look really ominous in the South,' expert says, as US is among nations with highest rate of new Covid-19 cases

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so if I'm looking to move to vermont, I should eyeball the orange counties for less chudleyness?

no. the three red counties on the left are where over half the state lives and the only "urban" center which is why transmission is high there.

the two at the top right are extremely rural and chudly (for vermont) but probably just red due to the small sample size.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

"The chance of permanent damage to the twin towers seems high", expert states on 10/11-01

I can't even imagine what the clusterfuck will look like 1 to 2 months...

Pray that you don't get sick or in a car accident since the various unvaxxed experts will be clogging up the local sun belt state hospitals.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I guess we were all too jaded, when we figured COVID couldn't lead to universal healthcare reform:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3144957/chinas-coronavirus-success-could-see-hong-kong-style posted:

China’s coronavirus success could see Hong Kong-style subsidised medical care in mainland, health expert says
  • Professor Li Ling, from Peking University, says China’s successful handling of the pandemic is a good argument for implementation of universal medical care
  • Currently, reimbursements from China’s public medical insurance programmes are relatively low and capped, meaning the public must cover most health costs

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
How it started
https://twitter.com/WadeHampton_HS/status/1425969536398921729

How it's going
https://twitter.com/WHHS_Athletics/status/1426360812558499841

:thunk:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Palladium posted:

Personally I'm waiting for the Omicron variant, so that we can fondly reminisce about a beloved Futurama character while half of us catch it and suffer it's signature symptom, eyeballs exploding and blood geysering out of the now-empty eye sockets.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It seems like the population at large is catching on that things are not looking great:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/consumer-sentiment-sinks-2020-pandemic-covid-19-lockdowns-delta posted:

Consumer sentiment sinks to height of COVID-19 levels
Consumers have not been this negative since April of 2020

U.S. consumers have done an about-face and are as worried about the pandemic as they were over a year ago, during the dark days of lockdowns and COVID-19 daily briefings.

The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment for August, which is considered one of the most current economic assessments, saw the largest drop in over a year in what was described by the surveyors as a "stunning loss of confidence" and has only been as negative two other times in history.

The reading dropped 13.5% from July to a level that was just below the April 2020-low of 71.8 when COVID-19 lockdowns and headlines dominated everyday life. The other time when things were as bad was during the 2008 Great Recession.

"Moreover, the losses covered all aspects of the economy, from personal finances to prospects for the economy, including inflation and unemployment. There is little doubt that the pandemic's resurgence due to the Delta variant has been met with a mixture of reason and emotion" wrote Surveys of Consumers chief economist, Richard Curtin, who also noted Americans fear the economy's performance will be "diminished" in the coming months.

"Lockdowns are the biggest threat to the economy" warned First Trust Advisors chief economist Brian Wesbury, during an appearance on FOX Business Network.
(..)
The last quote doesn't seem to have anything to do with the article, but got slipped in for some reason.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Preview to the coming COVIDfluenza winter season:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/14/1027663917/rsv-covid-children?t=1628943434703 posted:

As Children's COVID Cases Surge, There's Another Virus On The Rise
(..)
Pediatric hospitals in Texas — and around the country — are reporting unseasonably early outbreaks of RSV, a respiratory virus that mostly manifests as a mild illness with cold-like symptoms in adults but that can cause pneumonia and bronchiolitis in very young children. The CDC reports it can be life-threatening in infants and young adults.

At Texas Children's Hospital in Houston on Thursday, 25 of 45 hospitalized pediatric patients were diagnosed with RSV as well as COVID-19. "A hospitalization rate much higher than for either virus alone," according to officials.
(..)
It's not just a Texas thing
Pannaraj says the RSV surge began in southern states, many of which are in the fourth wave of the pandemic. But there is now evidence of a spread across the country, including Los Angeles.

"And it's on its way up," she said, adding that it is difficult to project if the number of cases will peak where they do during non-pandemic times.

At this point, she noted, some states have already reported cases as high as they would typically be in the winter. Other states have experienced short-lived spikes that go up and down.

It's likely officials will see a decline in RSV infections in places that are renewing indoor masking mandates and social distancing, she said.

So far Southern California has not seen many co-infections — meaning a person has both COVID-19 and RSV, according to Pannaraj.

"But that doesn't mean that it won't happen," she remarked. "In fact, we probably have to assume that it will happen."

It's likely a matter of a few months, she said.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

save our children

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Palladium posted:

I had a lot of people who told me to follow the science telling me that mrna vaccines are like super easy to push patches on and that we shouldn't worry about variants because there'll be a new vaccine that kills those suckers before we even have to worry about it.

So, uh, where's all that at? I'm watching the few well vaccinated nations in the world hup-hupping on trying to do a third dose of the same poo poo, I know the feds just bought another hundred million doses and are trying SO HARD to pretend that we're not all going to need to get topped up every quarter or so, and I haven't heard one loving word about an upcoming update to the slut juice we know and have. I was told that if the vaccines didn't turn out to be magic, they would be made magic by science as time went on. Maybe I'm just badly uninformed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Impkins Patootie posted:

save our children

number is first

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

I guess we were all too jaded, when we figured COVID couldn't lead to universal healthcare reform:

I'm still mad over the first Dem debate when Joe Biden said Italy having universal healthcare was why they had such a hard time with the pandemic

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

CVS has updated their scheduling portal for a 3rd dose.

Check the box for immunocompromised, schedule. Just like the tiers I doubt they're going to ask any questions, and if they do "yes I am immunocompromised."

It probably is legit better to have your own name for future record-keeping purposes when jobs and other places want proof (that isn't a blank white phone screen)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Absolutely infuriating piece about the failures of neoliberalism in the form of COVAX:

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-middle-east-africa-europe-coronavirus-pandemic-5e57879c6cb22d96b942cbc973b9296c posted:

Back of the line: Charity only goes so far in world vaccines
LONDON (AP) — An international system to share coronavirus vaccines was supposed to guarantee that low and middle-income countries could get doses without being last in line and at the mercy of unreliable donations.

It hasn’t worked out that way. In late June alone, the initiative known as COVAX sent some 530,000 doses to Britain – more than double the amount sent that month to the entire continent of Africa.
(..)
British officials confirmed the U.K. received about 539,000 vaccine doses in late June and that it has options to buy another 27 million shots through COVAX.

“The government is a strong champion of COVAX,” the U.K. said, describing the initiative as a mechanism for all countries to obtain vaccines, not just those in need of donations. It declined to explain why it chose to receive those doses despite private deals that have reserved eight injections for every U.K. resident.
(..)
With COVAX sidelined, vaccine donations have become something of a political contest. China has already exported 770 million doses and last week announced its own goal of sending 2 billion doses to the rest of the world by the end of the year — exactly the same amount as COVAX’s initial plan.
(..)
“I think we should make vaccines available throughout the Middle East, but I also think we should have the American flag on every vial,” said Rep. Juan Vargas, a Democrat from California, at a hearing on the state of the pandemic in the Middle East.

Even the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, recently decried Europe’s lagging in donations in geopolitical terms as a loss to China. U.S. President Joe Biden, in announcing the U.S. donations that have finally come through, similarly described the doses as a way to counter “Russia and China influencing the world with vaccines.” The White House said the United States has donated more than 110 million vaccine doses, some via COVAX.

In addition to its planned vaccine exports, China announced plans to donate $100 million to COVAX to buy more doses for developing countries.

“The key to strengthening vaccine cooperation and building the Great Wall of immunization is to ensure equitable access,” said Wang Xiaolong of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, speaking Friday after China hosted an online forum on fair vaccine distribution.

The COVAX board has agreed to go back to its basic assumptions about vaccinating the world before the end of the year. High on its list: “An updated definition of fair and equitable access.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Real Mean Queen posted:

I had a lot of people who told me to follow the science telling me that mrna vaccines are like super easy to push patches on and that we shouldn't worry about variants because there'll be a new vaccine that kills those suckers before we even have to worry about it.

So, uh, where's all that at? I'm watching the few well vaccinated nations in the world hup-hupping on trying to do a third dose of the same poo poo, I know the feds just bought another hundred million doses and are trying SO HARD to pretend that we're not all going to need to get topped up every quarter or so, and I haven't heard one loving word about an upcoming update to the slut juice we know and have. I was told that if the vaccines didn't turn out to be magic, they would be made magic by science as time went on. Maybe I'm just badly uninformed.

delta doesn’t require a new type of vaccine. the vaccines are still preventing serious illness and death across the board.

pfizer just has a reduction in protection against mild and moderate illness. this could be because of delta or just something expected with the pfizer vaccine.

there isn’t a strain that’s broken vaccines to the point that a new one is needed. pfriends just need a booster after a while. it is yet to be seen whether moderna will have the same drop off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yellowD posted:

CVS has updated their scheduling portal for a 3rd dose.

Check the box for immunocompromised, schedule. Just like the tiers I doubt they're going to ask any questions, and if they do "yes I am immunocompromised."

Lmao I know CVS had lax screening when I got my first dose before the right age range in Florida back in March (Yup i'm 45 ! today)

The check-in staff at the local CVS seemed to care less about it, only were interested in my appointment info being accurate.

Note CVS only seems to carry Pfizer at most places if you were hoping to do a Moderna speed run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Real Mean Queen posted:

People were quoting the pharma companies nonsense about "in 100 days we can match any protein!" Not realizing that you still need to then fully vet the product you just made and get a EUA or FDA approval too. So uh, no magic button, just more reliable attempts at producing good vaccines - which will then be rendered useless over time by the millions of morons that will always refuse to take them.

Death to the antivaxxers.