Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Will they or won't they?

Tune in next week on 'As The Congress Deliberates"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
One thing that isn't really mentioned is the actual effect of inflation on investment, if the nominal value of your investment is stable, you will still lose relative to inflation. It is one of those reason why it is going to be hard for housing prices to ever fully drop but because they are already silently devaluing along with the US dollar. If a house one year is worth $350,000 and it goes up to to $360,000 the next year, it is still a net loss with 10% inflation. It is why while the decline in nominal prices has been relatively slow...it inflation adjusted terms, it has been significantly greater.

Also, obviously the reason to own a house is to avoid rent, but as an investment, it is a little more tricky.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

goons: doctors/engineers etc are all dumbasses outside their fields which is why gen eds should be kept around in college

also goons: english and history should be electives after middle school

make up your drat minds!!!!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1663991906815148033

make him sweat by giving the gop everything they want

of course the dems are also happy they get to cut social benefits and even took off an extra month of loan forbearance alongside worse snap requirements

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Ardennes posted:

One thing that isn't really mentioned is the actual effect of inflation on investment, if the nominal value of your investment is stable, you will still lose relative to inflation. It is one of those reason why it is going to be hard for housing prices to ever fully drop but because they are already silently devaluing along with the US dollar. If a house one year is worth $350,000 and it goes up to to $360,000 the next year, it is still a net loss with 10% inflation. It is why while the decline in nominal prices has been relatively slow...it inflation adjusted terms, it has been significantly greater.

Also, obviously the reason to own a house is to avoid rent, but as an investment, it is a little more tricky.

Housing as an investment is loving stupid and I wish we hadn't done this as a society to ourselves

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

goons: doctors/engineers etc are all dumbasses outside their fields which is why gen eds should be kept around in college

Fwiw I'm also in the "you shouldn't have to pay for two bullshit years of college to learn meaningful things" camp

Academia is full of a lot of impractical bullshit to facilitate fee extraction and the weeding out of undesirables and I hate it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

rules vote round 2 gonna pass

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Justin Tyme posted:

Trying to make an ignorant proletariat fit only for labor, leftishgly

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1663985736998166528

The bill will pass.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

ikanreed posted:

Trying to make an ignorant proletariat fit only for labor, leftishgly

The thread hates computer touchers until somebody suggests they do real work

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1664006132254355457

As was foretold

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1664006224566796289?cxt=HHwWgoC-9Ym23pcuAAAA

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

ikanreed posted:

People who think early modern English is hard to understand baffle me.

Oh no, someone said loving "hath" I'm so confused!

shakespeare straight made up non-existant words lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dems helping the gop continue to gut social benefits yeah thats them alright

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Even the Soviet Union forced engineers to at least take some non-engineering classes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Oh wow look at that

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ardennes posted:

Even the Soviet Union forced engineers to at least take some non-engineering classes.

Yeah and their woke communist society collapsed, checkmate make studying the humanities a capital offense

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It's just SNAP work requirements for adults ages 18-55 without dependents, how much could it cost? Hundreds of lives?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oglethorpe posted:

shakespeare straight made up non-existant words lol

Which were easy to understand from context and construction. The rate at which you encounter words not present in modern American English is like 1% and more like 1 in a thousand if you don't count prepositions and adverbs.

It's really not that alien.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sokani posted:

It's just SNAP work requirements for adults ages 18-55 without dependents, how much could it cost? Hundreds of lives?

The People voted for Pain (TM UK).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RJWlms/status/1664009517770702848

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the brain dead replies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao d&d

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's only the progressives and the rightoids that are saying they'll vote no. There will be enough votes from the mainstream of both parties to easily pass it.

Yeah Bernie would be falling in line if there was any chance of his vote being required.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I am so confused by this inevitable betrayal

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Boring!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
you could get a hell of an education on literature and writing using only Pilgrim's Progress and the Old Testament.

I had a professor who is now dead (I think?) whose sole goal in his career was to convince as many people as possible to read nothing but Pilgrim's Progress.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao that's too much succ for me today

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao that's too much succ for me today

same, the succ zone was gonna be my next stop but I'm full

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Which were easy to understand from context and construction. The rate at which you encounter words not present in modern American English is like 1% and more like 1 in a thousand if you don't count prepositions and adverbs.

It's really not that alien.

Yeah but it's 12 year olds who have to figure this stuff out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tristeham posted:

faulkner is the greatest american writer (with henry james possibly).

syq

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

same, the succ zone was gonna be my next stop but I'm full

Yeah, the succzone is full of people angry at D&D for harboring rape apologists and people who fantasize about swimming naked in front of subordinates right now. Don't go there.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Penisaurus Sex posted:

you could get a hell of an education on literature and writing using only Pilgrim's Progress and the Old Testament.

I had a professor who is now dead (I think?) whose sole goal in his career was to convince as many people as possible to read nothing but Pilgrim's Progress.

that's dumb

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

theyre all r's as far as i'm concerned nowhatimsayin

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Ardennes posted:

When I was in Undeclared Engineering in 2001 @ RPI, we had to take 1 non-psych/non-history humanities elective and an ethics class 1st semester. Engineering Ethics was about environmental disasters caused by industry. I was late to the registration game and got Gender Studies as my elective. I enjoyed them both a lot more than I would have expected but most people took a philosophy, or management elective & the pre-law ethics course where they thinkpiece their way to endorsing genocide.

Sanlav has issued a correction as of 22:54 on May 31, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FlapYoJacks posted:

people who fantasize about swimming naked in front of subordinates right now

what

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

ArmZ posted:

that's dumb

it was but I did appreciate a guy who was that dedicated to just closely reading a few pieces of literature.

He also hated the American transcendentalists so maybe I cut him extra slack.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

unfortunately, you can derail any thread on the forums with ease by bringing up required reading books in high school

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Aglet56 posted:

unfortunately, you can derail any thread on the forums with ease by bringing up required reading books in high school

I always felt super insecure early on in college cause the only thing I was good at was STEM poo poo. All these uber nerds I was mingling with had mastered half a dozen instruments or studied art history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

You read it properly