Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Ketjap manis, fish sauce, ginger, garlic is also good. Sambal oelek on the side, unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

DismemberedLemon posted:

Can someone teach me how to vegetable? I don't think I've eaten any vegetables past potatoes and sometimes peas in 10+ years. I've never enjoyed real food much because my mother didn't know how to cook. I've started cooking for myself recently, and I am eating more real foods, but I have no idea how to make vegetables appetizing.

I'm losing weight currently by counting calories, but I want to attempt to at least eat a little healthier while I'm at it.

I was 19 when I realised I couldn't continue only eating meat and starch. But I found it so hard to get into vegetables. That is, until I discovered stir fry. I hated boiled vegetables, and suddenly I found a way of eating them that was sweet and crunchy, could be eaten in the same bowl mixed with meat and noodles (so it wasn't always just a mouthful of veg), and could be doused in tasty sauce. I started eating stir fry at least once a week, and slowly started forcing myself to eat salad - again, doused in dressing (balsamic vinegar is also delicious!)

After that I started experimenting with roasted veg, and as people here have said it is pretty loving delicious. Just the other day I cut up courgette, sweet potato, red and white onions, and some broccoli and rubbed it all over with harissa paste before roasting for about 25 minutes at ~200°C. Had that with cous cous and it was a super easy, healthy, and cheap meal!

It's all about starting off with super palatable stuff, like red peppers and carrots and things. After that you have to discover your favourite ways of preparing vegetables, and force yourself to eat them. It's not great to start with, but I went from barely being able to bear vegetables to having cravings for them if, say, I have an insane couple of days at work and end up on pizza and chicken. You can do it!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

And our lord Kenji did say "simple salads are pretty good guys"

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-simple-salad-worth-eating-vinaigrette.html

This is a really drat good vinaigrette

Kenji owns, make this salad.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Kenji has been posting pictures of his upcoming book on twitter -- can't wait for that to come out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I usually make hummus with canned chickpeas and it turns out great. This time I used dried chickpeas and after letting them soak for about 36 hours they're still kind of hard and crispy and they taste like snap peas. A sample batch of hummus tastes strongly of peas and veg.

A friend of mine always makes it from soaking dried beans and it never turns out like this. What went wrong?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I usually make hummus with canned chickpeas and it turns out great. This time I used dried chickpeas and after letting them soak for about 36 hours they're still kind of hard and crispy and they taste like snap peas. A sample batch of hummus tastes strongly of peas and veg.

A friend of mine always makes it from soaking dried beans and it never turns out like this. What went wrong?

Uhh, did you cooke htem?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Uhh, did you cooke htem?

no :cripes:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

What is best to store in the cabinets above the stove? I've heard the heat can mess food and oils up there.

I just keep cooking oil and salt in there

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This is probably going to sound like I'm being facetious, but I'm really not: to all the people who don't eat vegetables, did your parents not make you eat them?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A lot of people grow up eating, almost exclusively, processed food. Plus a certain mindset tends to treat vegetables as an effeminate thing to eat or something. People with this mindset raise kids.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Plus a lot of people are lovely cooks and make their kids eat ill-prepared veggies. Boiled Brussels sprouts comes to mind from my own childhood.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Scientastic posted:

This is probably going to sound like I'm being facetious, but I'm really not: to all the people who don't eat vegetables, did your parents not make you eat them?

Yeah. My mom only ever made corn and peas. It was all my dad would eat. I eat everything now but it took me a long time getting used to it.

Actually that's not true sometimes we would have baked beans. That counted as vegetable.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I was a kid my mom had made veggies just fine (never overcooked unless she forgot them). But my brother was stubborn and didn't like trying things mostly because he didn't like being told to do things. Plus, he was resentful when my mom tried to hide spinach in brownies.

Now that he's an adult he'll eat whatever veggie I put in front of him, at least. My dad's just as picky, but he mostly eats veggies because he's a paleo nutter now.

Though my Dad was picky because his parents were terrible cooks and his sister would make him mac&cheese sandwiches and other junk like that.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Scientastic posted:

After I figured out that my parents were hiding veggies (like when I realised the lumpy mash had cauliflower in it) I think I rebelled too hard against them and turned my later years into a rage against the veg. I don't really remember, though. I'm told that as a really small child I was mad for broccoli, and I remember runner beans and onion being the only acceptable vegetables to my palate.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

lol
when i make hummus i normally cook the chickpeas for hours.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scientastic posted:

My parents only served frozen and canned vegetables after boiling them, so I didn't like them growing up. As an adult I started buying them fresh and cooking them properly and I like them.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
My parents ordered meat "medium well -- no pink" growing up and I didn't realize that anything cooked less than that was delicious until maybe age 21.

:(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you don't know about liking vegetables start making chicken pot pies and shepherd's pies.

And make Quiches.

But yeah, all the other suggestions about salads and roasting are also what you should be doing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Kenji owns, make this salad.

I made a huge batch of this for a recent event and people were complimenting me on it

I wish I was somewhat competent at anything but bookmarking websites and following directions

Drifter posted:

If you don't know about liking vegetables start making chicken pot pies and shepherd's pies.

And make Quiches.

But yeah, all the other suggestions about salads and roasting are also what you should be doing.

So uh 0.0% of those I have ever eaten have made me think "this is a good use of vegetable"

Please post a recipe that highlights vegetable usage in this contact I guess

pile of brown posted:

I just keep cooking oil and salt in there

The last place I lived the microwave door cracked in half because I brewed beer, which involved a very large pot of water boiling for a significant amount of time. Just saying, be careful with this. Oil does not do well with ambient heat, salt of course does not care.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 27, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So uh 0.0% of those I have ever eaten have made me think "this is a good use of vegetable"

Please post a recipe that highlights vegetable usage in this contact I guess

Even quiche? :( Goat cheese and leek quiche is a good use of vegetable. I would eat a lot of vegetables wrapped up in eggs and milk and whatever else I'm putting in there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

Plus, he was resentful when my mom tried to hide spinach in brownies.
That seems entirely reasonable. :stare:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Frittatas are so easy and the best use of left over veggies. Make frittatas! I think of quiches as being crustful frittatas but I guess some Real Cook can probably explain the technical difference. Anyway just whisk up 6 eggs, 1/4 cup milk - scale up as necessary for pan size and desired egg/veg ratio - some grated cheese, and salt and pepper. Put a pan on medium heat, add a little oil, I like to sautee some onion but you don't have to! Dump in enough precooked/leftover veg so that the pan is roughly covered to an inch or so height and warm it through. Dump in your eggs and stir/pat so it's all roughly even - it should more or less cover all the veg, if not you need more egg mixture - put the pan in a 375 degree oven, start checking after 10 min.

I make a lot of roast broccoli and various greens sauteed simply with garlic, so those are usually what end up in mine. It's pretty tough to gently caress it up so badly that it's inedible, just try not to put anything that's going to release a bunch of moisture and make it watery, but using already cooked leftovers makes that a rare problem! You can add whatever spices and herbs and whatever to the eggs too if you want. I like to put some mustard in. PLUS a frittata reheats super well so your lazy breakfast just got even lazier.

Ok, that's my mediocre-home-cook frittata/quiche advocacy, but seriously they are good and easy and prime experimentation material, so make them!

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 27, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

breaks posted:

Frittatas are so easy and the best use of left over veggies. Make frittatas! I think of quiches as being crustful frittatas but I guess some Real Cook can probably explain the technical difference.
Frittatas are actually a whole genre, but what most Americans think of when you use the term is closer to an omelette than a quiche, if you want to think of them that way. Frittatas and omelettes are eggs with poo poo added to them, and both are cooked by direct heat in a pan, while a quiche is a custard and baked.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My Lovely Horse posted:

That seems entirely reasonable. :stare:

Oh absolutely. It was just kind of a thing when I was growing up, like each mom of my friends all had an equally terrible recipe 'totally hiding the spinach' in brownies. Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone's reworked special brownie recipe. Regardless, its lazy parenting and I side with my brother.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

SubG posted:

Frittatas are actually a whole genre, but what most Americans think of when you use the term is closer to an omelette than a quiche, if you want to think of them that way. Frittatas and omelettes are eggs with poo poo added to them, and both are cooked by direct heat in a pan, while a quiche is a custard and baked.

The Aussie version of a frittata is more of a baked egg dish, sometimes with milk and cheese added. Basically fry/cook onion, zucchinni, mushroom, leafy greens (spinach or silverbeet), tomatoes, bacon or whatever. Add a heap of eggs or egg, milk and cheese mixture, top with extra stuff (more tomato, more cheese), bake in the oven until set and top is golden brown.
a 10" cast iron pan filled up to near the brim is ideal.
So a frittata can be an omelette like thing like it is in Europe and the US, or can be a crust-less quiche or egg bake casserole type thing like it sometimes is down here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fo3 posted:

The Aussie version of a frittata is more of a baked egg dish, sometimes with milk and cheese added. Basically fry/cook onion, zucchinni, mushroom, leafy greens (spinach or silverbeet), tomatoes, bacon or whatever. Add a heap of eggs or egg, milk and cheese mixture, top with extra stuff (more tomato, more cheese), bake in the oven until set and top is golden brown.
a 10" cast iron pan filled up to near the brim is ideal.
So a frittata can be an omelette like thing like it is in Europe and the US, or can be a crust-less quiche or egg bake casserole type thing like it sometimes is down here.
Yeah, there's a whole genre of egg-based American potluck casserole that you've basically just described, but most Americans would just look at you funny if you called one a frittata. The general distinction between a frittata and an omelette is that the latter is folded while the former is either flipped and grilled on both sides, or finished under a broiler.

Italian usage is a lot broader, and encompasses almost anything you could think to do with a couple of eggs and random other poo poo in a fry pan.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Scientastic posted:

When I was growing up, vegetables were always overcooked.
"Will the sprouts be ready in time for Christmas dinner?"
"I hope so, I've had them on a rolling boil since mid-November"

That'll put anyone off vegetables for years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought some Rainier cherries. I've never really bought Rainiers before so I don't know what normal is. Almost all of them have a weird growth-looking thing on them near where the stem meets the flesh. Picture below. What is it, is it a problem? Disregard the small dots on them, those are poppy seeds from a bagel.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

guppy posted:

I bought some Rainier cherries. I've never really bought Rainiers before so I don't know what normal is. Almost all of them have a weird growth-looking thing on them near where the stem meets the flesh. Picture below. What is it, is it a problem? Disregard the small dots on them, those are poppy seeds from a bagel.

Wipe them off and eat. No worries.

I believe it's dried-up partial cherry growths that the tree gave up on because it was too lazy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Flower petals.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Rainier cherries are the loving best

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

Why are there poppy seeds from a bagel all over your cherries?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I want to make tamales, what is the one true recipe?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone share a really good green chili recipe with me? Preferably something I can just make in a crock pot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone share a really good green chili recipe with me? Preferably something I can just make in a crock pot.

I'm phone posting, but Serious Eats has an obscenely good chili verde. As long as you roast the tomatillos, crock potting shouldn't be a problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks y'all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why are there poppy seeds from a bagel all over your cherries?

Because the cherry came off a breakfast plate that also had eggs and a poppy bagel on it. They're from a local joint that absolutely covers their poppy bagels in them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm phone posting, but Serious Eats has an obscenely good chili verde. As long as you roast the tomatillos, crock potting shouldn't be a problem.

Is it this one? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/chile-verde-with-pork-recipe.html

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Trying to remember the name of a dish - it's well known but escaping me.

It has peas and maybe pancetta. It's creamy. What is it? It may have pasta in it?

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonara maybe

some people put peas in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - that's it.