Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
B

We have to thread the line between what is feasible and what is necessary to show our strength. If we give everything up then the enemies of the republic, both internal and external, would rip us apart. The rest can be reclaimed slowly and sustainably when we are more stable.

Edit: Votes on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Pacho posted:

B We must preserve our long time southern provinces. I've seen it myself, the people clamoring for freedom! Freedom! Surely from the aristocrats. I'd also support letting the eastern rebels, who wish it, join our sister Republic of Wu as a token of friendship and appreciation between revolutionaries

I'm backing this, with the addendum that we should prioritize securing the Ganges over the Yellow River. The core of a republic is an individual's right to choose her own future. If a handful of our Han citizens choose to join our revolutionary brethren in Wu, then who are we to interfere? Besides, our resources are stretched as things stand; it is near-impossible to hold the far east. Which would you prefer--that some arrogant local aristo enslave the people once more, or that another enlightened republic should care for our citizens? I know what I would choose. We have more in common with our dear sisters-in-arms to the east than the so-called Holy Tibetan Empire to our east.

This is why, incidentally, we should also prioritize the Ganges over the Yellow River. Ideally, we should hold both, of course, but if we are forced to choose by misfortune, then let us secure the ports that historically fall under Tibet's sphere of influence.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
B

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Claim the mandate of heaven for the People, now and in perpetuity.

Iolite
May 9, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm backing this, with the addendum that we should prioritize securing the Ganges over the Yellow River. The core of a republic is an individual's right to choose her own future. If a handful of our Han citizens choose to join our revolutionary brethren in Wu, then who are we to interfere? Besides, our resources are stretched as things stand; it is near-impossible to hold the far east. Which would you prefer--that some arrogant local aristo enslave the people once more, or that another enlightened republic should care for our citizens? I know what I would choose. We have more in common with our dear sisters-in-arms to the east than the so-called Holy Tibetan Empire to our east.

This is why, incidentally, we should also prioritize the Ganges over the Yellow River. Ideally, we should hold both, of course, but if we are forced to choose by misfortune, then let us secure the ports that historically fall under Tibet's sphere of influence.

Backing both of these!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
C All or nothing

Time to burn all of the professionalism, hire all the mercenaries and take all of the loans

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

On a non-vote note, this LP got mentioned in PDXCon:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
B
If we reach too far we will fall.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

As usual, Denmark is forgotten.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SirPhoebos posted:

Gotta make room for the people working for Paradox! :v:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
C
I want to see what happens.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Chaos reigns.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

A) Contest nothing outside the Tibetan plateau: 2 (Ikasuhito, Moon Slayer)

B) We cede much of eastern China and the Irrawaddy plain, but will attempt to retain parts of the Yellow River basin and the lower Ganges. We retain most of the populated regions of the empire - 24 (Alikchi, NewMars, SirPhoebos, VideoWitch, Xelkelvos, Akratic Method, Anzrel, Rubix Squid, Technowolf, Pacho, idhrendur, Rody One Half, McGavin, RagnarokZ, RabidWeasel, Lynneth, Freudian, MatchaZed, Guper, zealouscub, ViolatheMad, Iceblocks, Iolite, Danny Glands)

C) Attempt to contest everything. 16 (Ferrovanadium, Crazycryodude, Lord Cyrahzax, TheFlyingLlama, ThatBasqueGuy, Coward, e-dt, Jeoh, McGavin, Livewire42, habeusdorkus, frankenfreak, AJ_Impy, Dance Officer, Chatrapati, TinTower)

With a total of 42 votes, we will attempt to retain the Ganges river delta, the Sichuan basin, and the upper Yellow river, while retreating from Burma and Eastern China.

More votes will be coming soon.

Long live the Republic! The mandate of heaven is the will of the people!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Technowolf posted:

Funny how that works. (yes, there was a reason I asked about megacamapaigns on the main paradox thread some months back).

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, did I miss one? Shoot!

Unless you the Denmark that must not be named, that most secretive of Denmarks...in which case I made sure it was on the outline and we discussed it in the talk: https://twitch.tv/videos/1032428222

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 25, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

idhrendur posted:

https://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2-%28by-Thanqol%29/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625138

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks! I do have a history doc I'm continuing to compile, so this is helpful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

May the iron fist of liberty crush all who oppose us!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

idhrendur posted:

I'd be interested to see a world map of all the Paradox LPs, to see what areas of the globe have been covered and what hasn't.

And also to one day to create a Mega-campaign All Stars mod for HoI4. Which is probably at the top of my "Hey wouldn't it be cool if...?" ideas that I am in no way qualified to pull off (having never modded, or played HoI4, or organized multiplayer sessions)

EDIT: they also left out the Hansa Mega-campaign.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 25, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SirPhoebos posted:

I'd be interested to see a world map of all the Paradox LPs, to see what areas of the globe have been covered and what hasn't.

OK this is actually kind of an interesting idea to me BUT "covered" is a very fuzzy concept and I'd want to think somewhat seriously about it. Like obviously not "significantly modified from baseline" because that's literally every part of the map, but there's a huge difference in data collection between "start locations" vs "player control," and "player control" - for how long? At what times? Also do we want to include Paradox runs that weren't megacampaigns e.g. Crete?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tulip posted:

OK this is actually kind of an interesting idea to me BUT "covered" is a very fuzzy concept and I'd want to think somewhat seriously about it. Like obviously not "significantly modified from baseline" because that's literally every part of the map, but there's a huge difference in data collection between "start locations" vs "player control," and "player control" - for how long? At what times? Also do we want to include Paradox runs that weren't megacampaigns e.g. Crete?

I think "areas that are part of your realm/nation" as defined by the game. So for CK, that would be your domain + all the nobles that swore fealty to you, while in other games that would be the state you directly controlled (with vassals getting a lesser emphasis) And I would do a snapshot for either the end of their LP or where they were at the start of HoI (since that's when the my hypothetical all-star game would begin).

I'd be up for including single game LPs as well, though it'd need to get through at least half the game to qualify.

As for the question of overlap, it's hard to give a definite answer since there are probably a bunch of LPs that I haven't read (like that 1000 years of misrule one), but I've come up with some guidelines:

-Priority is given to LPs that covered multiple games. The more games, the higher the priority. But even a states from a full megacampaign might have to give up territory if another state has literally no where else to go.
-For states that have overlapping borders that don't flow over into "core" territories, and where one doesn't have an obvious "length" advantage, there'll be a compromise on the border. Probably the messiest compromise will be between Byz, Azer and Jerusalem
-Other states that are clearly displaced by longer LPs can be relocated to colonies. I see this occurring for Hansa, the Papal States, and Kersch's Spain LP.
-For LPs that are of the same country, (like Jerusalem) then that will be represented through a Civil War event.
-In all cases, countries will have a mission tree to retake what was given up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'd probably be doable to do two or three layers of "Covered" in terms of devising a map

Primary: Starting core areas (basically the starting area/region in the LP)
Secondary: Parts held consistently for significant spans of the LP (generally the area surrounding the starting location that ebbs and flows after various conflicts)
Tertiary: Any territory held or colonized as part of the LP (colonies or parts held temporarily due to being part of the empire though not player controlled or won through cessions through wars but get lost and not recaptured in subsequent wars)

A map for gameplay purposes is a whole other kettle of fish and would get very complicated as there's at least one location that's Primary for two different LPs (Jerusalem) so devising a country for it would be a matter of either coin flip or immediate civil war.

Edit: If I was any good at actually playing the MegaLP games and writing up LPs, I'd consider trying an LP in some of the corners of the world other LPs haven't really started in or explored too much

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 27, 2021

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Sorry for the delay everyone. Life etc. I'll have the rest of the votes to set up the republic over the next few days.

Xelkelvos posted:

HOI4 Mod Chat

I could see this as a fun multiplayer scenario. Set up a few tags, and give them all a similar focus tree, and let people have fun with it. Although (1) we'd have to find some way to deal with overlapping territories - Gothia/Hohenzollern Germany/Hansa, Byzantine Commune/Azerbaijan, and Pope LP/everything and (2) we'd have to find something to do with all the rest of the map that isn't covered.

idhrendur posted:

Funny how that works. (yes, there was a reason I asked about megacamapaigns on the main paradox thread some months back).

Unless you the Denmark that must not be named, that most secretive of Denmarks...in which case I made sure it was on the outline and we discussed it in the talk: https://twitch.tv/videos/1032428222

I had the chance to watch this - very cool! If there is anything else I can do to help you out on this, please let me know. I'm very interested to see where your research is going.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

idhrendur posted:

You also missed AfghanLP, though to be fair I gave up on that one due to lack of interest.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kangxi posted:

Sorry for the delay everyone. Life etc. I'll have the rest of the votes to set up the republic over the next few days.
I could see this as a fun multiplayer scenario. Set up a few tags, and give them all a similar focus tree, and let people have fun with it. Although (1) we'd have to find some way to deal with overlapping territories - Gothia/Hohenzollern Germany/Hansa, Byzantine Commune/Azerbaijan, and Pope LP/everything and (2) we'd have to find something to do with all the rest of the map that isn't covered.
I had the chance to watch this - very cool! If there is anything else I can do to help you out on this, please let me know. I'm very interested to see where your research is going.

Well clearly the solution to (2) is to have a bunch of people do LPs for those regions that haven't been covered.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

Thanks! I seem to recall you were one of the people who replied when I asked about megacampaigns on the main Paradox thread a little while back. The responses there were a huge help.

I've gone and made my history public here: https://paradoxgameconverters.com/history.html. The big thing would be pointing out any gaps. I think I've got most SA ones noted, but any I'm missing would be nice.

Any other improvements for the page would be nice to have mentioned (or a pull request sent).

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You also missed AfghanLP, though to be fair I gave up on that one due to lack of interest.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thanks, recorded.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Add srbja and Friends

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Add srbja and Friends

Got a link?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 81: 1756 to 1764 - The Right to Rebellion

Good morning everyone! Thanks for tuning in. This is Arjun Tuazon, with the newest installment of the History on Screen podcast at the University of Sugbo, where we look at historical fiction, TV shows, music, and movies with an eye towards historical accuracy and portrayals. If you like this, feel free to like this episode, subscribe at any of the links below, or feel free to send any suggestions.

Today we're talking about the streaming series The Last Emperor - which in season three covers the first eight years after the Tibetan Revolution and the fall of the Celestial Empire of Tibet. Our guest speaker today is Dr. Haseyama Seiko, of the Central Asian History department. Thank you for joining us.

Thank you for having me, Arjun.

So the newest season of the series starts in the middle of things, in 1756.

We see a court in upheaval, in the middle of grand plans to 'unify' all the peoples of the former empire,

and in a state of diplomatic isolation.

That is broadly correct. I liked the scene with the Khalkha diplomat saying that the Republic had hunted down and skinned the Empire but now the revolutionaries were wearing its hide. It's a pithy remark, and it shows what the Republic's neighbors feared. Foreign perceptions were far from unified. Some foreign observers were hopeful for the return of a more restrained monarchy or constitutional government tempered by an aristocratic elite. Some within the Republic of Wu were hoping for a republican government, but still treated the news of the revolution with skepticism. It was a 'wait-and-see' attitude.

There's also the portrayal of the Sacred Hierarchy.

[Dr. Haseyama sighs.]

Here, the series regrettably falls into the usual narrative cliches. The hierarchy is corrupt and bad, and the restorationist faction is by necessity good. In actuality, the hierarchy and the restorationist Bon movement had many traits in common. Both claimed to be the 'original' transmission of a set of esoteric beliefs and practices. Both share much of the same pantheon, though the orders of things are switched around. While there are substantial differences in belief, in the restorationists' even greater emphasis on monastic practices, and in their embrace of religious syncretism - that even led to suggestions that they were esoteric Buddhists! They retained common features such as veneration of the imperial family. And it matters specifically that the title of the new head of state is Sikyong, implying more secular leadership and eschewing interference in religious affairs and the questions of monastic governance. He was a Purgyal, but avoided divine leadership - you see him in the series shooing away people from bowing to him. That was a good touch.

Which leads us to the imperial family itself. They didn't end up so well, did they?

[Dr. Haseyama winces.] No, they did not.

How could Takdra Purgyal do this? What was he thinking?

It's hard to say. He didn't leave much of his personal papers behind. But his biographers tend to fall into one of two camps on the subject - the first is that he was so adamant for this out of self-preservation. He hoped to keep himself out of the hands of any revolutionary tribunals, or out of any suspicion from the press. We cannot assume that everyone is a cynic in the past. That some were, but there is some degree of idealism in beliefs - at least from what we can see in writings.

I mean what do we even know about this guy?

Very little. He left very few writings. He came from an obscure branch of the family. He died young - that's it.

But on the other hand, other scholars would emphasize that so many other members of his family were so determined on reinstituting the monarchy, and that they were raising armies against the republic - that this was out of a sincere move for maintaining the republic.

As his future goals may yet involve the future expansion of the republican form of governance and the destruction or at least the weakening of neighboring monarchies,

And in keeping himself safe from further suspicion - there had been doubts about not only his familial relationships but even over his own personal beliefs.

So how did the rest of the world look at this time?

We see only bits and pieces of that in the series. The Wu Republic along the Chinese coast, named after a number of ancient kingdoms, had gone to war with Korea.

With Tibet's government in collapse, a power vacuum would arise throughout the region.

In a bit of foreshadowing, there is news about the collapse of Ayutthaya at the hands of Đại Việt and Champa.

So this is where we do see the series step in. The first episodes cover the early campaigns in modern Sichuan and the retaking of Chongqing - the Tibetans keep pronouncing it Trungching.

But -- and here is the big twist -- the Tibetan armies don't and can't move through all of their eastern territories first. They instead have to try and hold off another invasion from the Punjab kingdom, from the old Sacred Tibetan Empire. Why did they do this?

Ostensibly, it was to relcaim the Mandate of Heaven, prove the illegitimacy of the republic, and reclaim all of the empire. But as we'll see later, they could settle for some indemnity, either territory or money.

So there are battle scenes here, particularly against the armies still in rebellion.

Yes. Well, I'm not a military historian, so I can't comment on all of the specific details, but I have heard complaints about the infantry kit, the weaponry used, and the line infantry tactics. That isn't the series' strong point, I'm afraid to say. It's all 'firing as many shots as they can', and completely misusing cavalry and artillery. I mean if I wanted something inaccurate but fun I'd watch one of my favorite martial arts movies with the characters that can fly.

Ah, sorry to hear that. At least it's not like that other movie that I won't bother to name, which has Gyalyum the Benevolent fighting in flat plains all the time and riding a snowlion. Or the one which places the Anatolian succession wars in the wrong continent!

Right. That's one of the unforunate things about getting a real credential in history - you have to shut your brain off to enjoy these movies.

But there is a detail that I liked. The bit where the revolutionary army has to promote so many officers almost at random. That might be a nice bit of revolutionary zeal and social equality. This is also because many of the officers in the empire were also members of noble families and/or heads of manorial households and were more likely to throw their lot in with with the previous government.

I see!

So we see a few skirmishes just south of the Himalaya, and this takes up another episode. The desperate campaign against Punjab,

and then everything goes right to hell. [Dr. Haseyama laughs.]

Again, you are right. The show has to compress the sequence of events, but in the span of a few years there is yet another revolution against the government that installed itself through the revolution.

This primarily arose because of the inability of the Takdra Purgyal government to bring the wars to a conclusion, and because it had done very little to address the problems which led to the revolution at all - the tinder might be low average incomes, a centralized government, and so on, and the spark was the war and natural disaster leading to famine. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, we cannot cast aspersions on the first revolutionary government - they had inherited a situation so bad that it could hardly be solved with what they had.

To give the previous government some credit, they had enacted ordinances banning serfom, not just slavery - but this was only so much in the face of famine. Their motives were not all bad, though their methods and constant secrecy invited suspicion. Really, it gives the small group around Takdra Purgyal almost too much credit - with plans upon plans. Really too much for them to do, and too many factions for them to keep in check. The Anatolian Revolution, by contrast, had at least the benefits of being able to communicate across a more accessible area. That and Tefere Assefa Abateid winning every election for four decades.

You see in the series that Tibet is just too large and its population too widely dispersed for anything resembling modern government and a bureaucracy to exist. You see a few people from Lhasa wandering out to talk to the nomads in Changtang, talk to them about equality before the law and the end of slavery and the nomads say, 'how wonderful, how benevolent'. But then they ask who the new emperor is, and ask if they're the new name they see on the silver coins - that was Tashi Dbas, who had died years ago. I mean, that's a funny scene, but that might show what they were dealing with.

Yes, exactly. Too much to do over too little time, with no bureaucracy or technology to aid them. Like Lasya the Holy three centuries before.

The revolutionary state could barely pay for itself.

In the conversations, you see Takdra look totally out of his depth. He talks a lot about the pamphlets and his ideals. He is, to his credit, shown to be honest in his beliefs. But he can't seem to do anything about all the rest, and he is too easily riled by every newspaper or bad comment from parliament. When he says he'd rather be ambassador to some cannibal cult than give up his beliefs, he'd mean it.

Already there is a state of total panic. There are scattered reports of Punjabi armies in the far north, at Hami, or Kumul.

So what was the point with that scene where all the students - Takdra's younger brother for example - they are still taking their provincial and county-level examinations? The whole system was going to be overturned anyway, did that just not go anywhere?

That continued in some isolated municipalities, or at least to illustrate how events in Lhasa were so far removed from the rest of the empire. Everything goes on up until the day that it doesn't.

And that's where they introduce General Dolma Yudron Palsang, played by the brilliant Yang Hanlan, who gives that big speech to the students. She was a fantastic choice - doing historical dramas for years. It's a bit odd to see Pelmo I in 1700s costume but here we are!

Nor as a queen of Korea nor as Temulun Khatun. It's very strange to find an actor who has a face for royalty but here we are.

So we see her arguing with Takdra Purgyal over the military situation. What could we say about this?

Not very much. To be hones, Dolma Yudron Palsang did the best she could under difficult circumstances. While the revolutionary armies continued in Bengal, she was able to actually push into Punjabi territory. Takdra wanted them pulled back, which was also a valid decision. But they had only one army in all that great mass.

Other armies were able to hold the line near Xi'an, probably securing those areas for the republic,

There isn't much that can be done for the other armies south of the Himalayas. One general can't do everything. If the Punjabis have a better drill, reliable muskets and heavy guns, and competent leadership, nothing can really stop them if they have the force of numbers too.

So the cuts between Lhasa and the field show this dramatic change. On the one hand, grand proclamations by Takdra about the future and the armies in the east, trying against all hope to get people to believe,

and then desperate fighting in the most inhospitable conditions. This isn't Gyalyum the Benevolent with a few hundred troops, these are armies destroying themselves in the mountain ranges.

and all the while the southern cities are rebelling against the 'betrayal of the revolution'.

But the Punjabi army arrives, and in a solid bit of generalship on their part,

and the Tibetans can hold them off temporarily.

The camera swings wildly back and forth between the armies and the provisional government's debates, making it all seem like tidal waves crashing into each other,

and then cutting to the typhoon which wipes out fields and houses. It is a feeling of supernatural forces.

But now it is too late. The western Tibetan army was overwhelmed and defeated outside of Bhera.

The Tibetans cede a fair amount of wealthy territory and strategic mountain passes.

Correct. The Kashmir valley was and is extremely valuable, and Kashgar was and is a major trading city. It would be too much to say that the Punjabis had any serious intentions to take over the administration of China and the imperial seat -- but enough to see their great rival and competitor severaly weakened.

That's also a problem with the series. The battle is viewed as this dramatic climax, and I suppose they had to take some narrative liberties. So many of the point of view characters that we see - Kalsang, Benazari, Lin Yimu - all seem to show up there. But on the other hand, it was only one in a series of continuous disasters. We cannot assume causality too easily.

And that is the case here.

We see what's left of the revolutionary army, racing back to Lhasa.

Dolma Yudron Palsang rides at the front of her column in the last doomed charge, and she dies as if she sought out the bullet.

Then Lhasa falls, and that is that.

You really have to commend Tsewang Wangchuk Dhundup for his acting here. You see him as Takdra Purgyal escorted out of the old summer palace. Next to him is a guard wearing bits of old Knuckle Smasher regalia, and she looks scarily like the Empress Gyalyum the Benevolent, with a cheeky smile, poking a bayonet in his ribs - and with the camera closeup and the audio fading out around him, you see him go through the five stages of grief in about ninety seconds. 'How could this be happening' - then 'how could the bastards have done this' - then he thinks about going for the gun - then just resignation and acceptance. This is the end. If he's lucky he can say some prayers before he goes. This is the look of a calculating political man who has gone up against the radicals and he knows he can't talk his way out of it. And that Gyalyum guard smiles behind him. Brilliant acting.

If he doesn't win any awards for this I'll be shocked.

Then the season ends in a sort of montage. The eastern territories defect to the Republic of Wu,

Too late. The sequence of events is slightly out of order here, but I would agree that the battle was far too late. .

Korea is shown in a state of total fragmentation. And that is the other shock.

And that's it.

Now the final episodes of this season introduce a new and intriguing figure, Mr. Tolun Fuyuan. What a figure! I don't remember who's playing him- Karweñe - what's his name.

The Tocharian, yes. From his personal name, he might have had some Mongolian heritage. But his other name was deliberately taken in adoption of one of the great empresses of Tibet - Fuyuan.

At the time he was able to re-establish power, he was in his mid 50s, and he was known as one of the 'brawlers' in discussion of contemporary issues. He was strictly a republican revolutionary, and he had also renounced all claims to any nobility.

So what does the world look like for him, as he attempts to establish his own power?

Fuyuan would see a world where republics have not only held their own, but they are able to act upon neighboring monarchies.

This is a world - I don't think he could have anticipated this by the early 1760s, but on the verge of economic and social changes, with the introduction of new tactics and mass mobilization.

The Republic - what it still holds - is still under threat from invasions.

Though it still carefully finds new trading partners and it is not so alone in the world anymore.

Right! In that scene with the empty court and palace and then the Khodynt show up asking if the new republic is interested in trade.

Korea - then considered to be one of the greatest successor to the Confucian tradition of governance after the fall of Jin, and a real regional power, one of the major powers in the region, perhaps one of the best suited to retake China after the Tibetan retreat - is just torn apart. It's shocking. Imagine if the Tsalagihi were beaten by somebody who owned a trading post in Qúracao alone and you'll get my point. How could this happen?

That's one the historians still argue about. I've heard recently that the same ecological disasters that brought down the Tibetan empire - drought, famine, and so on - may also have weakened Korea. That's in a new book by Lee Ji-hyung, published last year.

Fascinating. It's amazing how much is still beyond our control, and how a new look at archival evidence can change ones view on things.

Speaking of control and natural forces, there is that dream sequence though, right after, about the man in the white funerary outfit.

Oh yes. Directors do love their artistic dream sequences and visions. I haven't read anything like that happening, but that was a fun sequence. Nor of Tolun looking at the great statues of Gyalyum the Benevolent or Pakmodru Tse the lucky or what he might have said.

Didn't Gyalyum the Benevolent have a Mongol mother? Khutulun or something?

I believe so. But the ancient era is far out of my expertise.

By the end of the series - in ... 176...4?

That sounds plausible.

it looks like it's all over.

In the east, the Republic and its neighbors are still fragmented and the areas of their control are still ill-defined, with the Republic of Wu being the clearest winner. It has seized Beijing from Korea, as well as parts of Shandong and Jiangsu all along the eastern coast. Korea still reels from the threat of invasions - by the Anatolian republic most of all, who also want to build their own empire of liberty. We know how that goes.

Indeed.

In the southeast - new states have arisen out of the ruins of ancient kingdoms. The little Prome kingdom, Pegu, Manipur.

But after eight years of war - the Republic survives. For every moment of crushing dread, there is a moment of beauty or tranquility -- and while there is still a lot of devastating loss along the way, the world might become something better.

THE WORLD: 1764

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 28, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Frankly I'm surprised by how well that went.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

quote:

THE WORLD: 1764

I can't believe Tibet sunk into the ocean.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
By all accounts, things could have been worse (and there's still room enough for that) but right now it's not totally terrible.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Lasya the Holy could solve all of these problems if only she were Prime Minister.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

idhrendur posted:

Got a link?

I don't know if you have this already, but this was in the OP of one of the old Paradox megathreads:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234431

With Waffleimages back up, it is mostly restored.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

I don't know if you have this already, but this was in the OP of one of the old Paradox megathreads:

Thanks! I had it by the thread title, and hadn't made the connection to the colloquial name.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

You guys are missing something incredibly important:

Egypt is in Manchuria.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

HereticMIND posted:

You guys are missing something incredibly important:

Egypt is in Manchuria.

Tibet got knocked down from a runaway 1st to 3rd place after losing everything in Burma and much of China. Korea (which previously owned much of Manchuria) was knocked out of the top 8 entirely after the wars with Anatolia and Egypt.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 11, 2021

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad to see this. Once in a blue moon someone brings up that extremely cursed campaign, and I recall that Srbja was not some strange fever dream, but an actual thread. Good times, good times. :allears:

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
God the borders in this world are such a mess and I love it! I hope they stay messy into Hearts of Iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
[Accidentally posted early, please disregard]